Quick Hits

Komisarek-Leafs

François Gagnon is Tweeting a contest: Who will score the Canadiens’ first goal of the season?

No winner until Sunday in Winnipeg … if then.

The Canadiens won the first period in Toronto: a 14-4 shot advantage, three lines clicking, well-organized defence.

But no goals.

It was too good to last, and it didn’t.

P.K. Subban pinched deep on a power-play.

Four Canadiens were caught behind the Toronto net.

Matthew Lombardi, who can skate, led a rush back up-ice and, unattended, scored a shorthanded goal less than a minute into the second period.

The Canadiens were never the same – especially after Chris Campoli got his skate caught in the ice and suffered what looked like a nasty lower-body injury. He left the ACC on crutches, and Damien Cox Tweeted a hamstring: out for three weeks.

So we’ll see Alexei Emelin in Winnipeg. And his size might have helped in Toronto.

Yannick Weber had to play D. And when Dion Phaneuf (who was very good) scored off a turnover by P.K. (who was not good at all), Jacques Martin began juggling his forward lines to no great effect and the Leafs coasted home behind James Reimer’s 32 saves – none of  which were miraculous.

So Campoli is hurt. Blair Betts is hurt. Lars Eller isn’t ready to play.

And Andrei Markov’s return can’t come soon enough to help a power play that went 0-for-5. Jacques Martin wasn’t happy with slow puck movement and a tendency toward individual play on the PP.

Mike Komisarek had six hits. No Canadien had more than two (Max Pacioretty), and the Leafs had a 15-10 advantage.

It was also the quality of the hits. Toronto laid on some thumps. Colby Armstrong ran Carey Price. Toronto’s fourth line had two beasts, Jay Rosehill and Mike Brown. The Canadiens had Andreas Engqvist and Travis Moen, who had one hit, no shots and, as is frequently the case, no influence on the game.

Up front, Erik Cole was just about invisible and played only 1:04 on five PPs. AK46 showed flashes of brilliance, periods of somnambulance and took an O-zone penalty that won a third-period seat on the bench. Max Pacioretty wasn’t the factor he was last season or in training camp … but, I hasten to add, that will come.

The Antichambre gang are ranting about lack of intensity, lack of offence from the back end, lack of toughness, lack of emotion … the whole litany of Habs headaches.

But hey, it’s one game.

P.K. might not be that bad again all season.

Tomas Plekanec was excellent on the penalty-kill.

David Desharnais seemed to have the puck glued to his stick when he was on the ice.

Price was solid.

The Canadiens will be better in Winnipeg.

They might even score a goal.

1. holidaysyoga says:

all i can say is,, its a challenges games.

2. bleedhabs81 says:

The Negatives – too many to list unfortunately

The Positives
    Diaz and Desharnais (in my opinion)… they looked like they wanted to win… which is more than I can say for everyone else. I like how smart Diaz was with (or near) the puck and I like how I saw DD going to the net every chance he got (too bad he isn’t 6’4″)

Price – Easily made the hardest saves of the night between the two goalies. Yes, Reimer got the shut-out, but is wasn’t like he made any brilliant saves. Good positioning and lots of shots into his chest. The habs handed that one to him.

Luke Schenn – he showed us that Max is not going to stop skating and turn the puck over if threatened by an oncoming big hit. Luckily, he just missed.

3. jew4jah says:

i remember a bunch of articles about the plan to put cole on the 2nd line to free up AK for the 3rd?

chara = חרה

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I know when I whine about Jacques Martin, it is not that if I was Molson or Mr. Gauthier I would fire Martin (unless the wheels completely fall-off) …I mean what’s out there to replace Him ?
    …Maybe, Kirk Muller ? …possible, but Kirk is an unknown quantity as an NHL coach at this time …and Jacques has proved He is a solid, if unremarkable, coach over 15 + years
    …Jacques has what is needed as a motivator and strategist to turn the talent We have around
    …We had Our chance at an exceptional coach, but did not seize the moment
    …I stew about it, but it’s water under the bridge (although, I maintain the right to ‘whine’ about it again at My pleasure when the gas in My esophagus is just too overwhelming to control)
    …and that gas gets pretty hard to keep down when I know a Habs’ Boucher coached Team would not be as offensively challenged as We must endure with JM
    …that vision, in fact, especially after a sorry game like tonight, makes Me feel a SERIOUS burp comin’ on as I tickle My keypad at this time

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

5. brandonhab19 says:

time for a quick recap.
    Once the leafs picked up the hitting in the second the game was over.
    Multiple habs tossed around and it was COMICAL seeing Cammi and Gionta trying to get in a shoving match with Komisarek.
    Sorry to beat a dead horse, but when it still needs to be beaten it should be beaten.
    This team is too small, and too unphysical to match up in the northeast division. The Leafs pushed them around without ORR. The Bruins are never without Thornton or a hitting game. And the Sabres have a big physcial team,
    Unless something changes like Cole playing over Kostitsyn and a bigger body to stop Price getting run, and all our other players. I see only Ottawa finishing under us in the northeast.

one last thing, i dont think as a fan youre supposed to be hoping to see your players get rocked time and time again. and hoping for a terrible start. but thats what i am hoping for because thats the only way anything will change

6. MasterHab says:

As long as the Bell Centre is sold out Molson has no motive to change anything. In the end, the fans are to blame.

7. Marvin says:

I just love how this city (and I mean Mtl, ‘cos I live in Cgy) and it’s fans, including you Mr Boone, react after one lousy game – and the first game of the season! Who cares? Talk to me if this trend continues.

• Timo says:

Umm… well… they’ve been lousy since 1993… i’d say it’s a pretty long steady trend.

• Hockey says:

You know what’s another long steady trend? Your unfunniness. C’mon, you goofy amateur, work on your material.

• Marvin says:

“Lousy” why? Because they haven’t won a Cup? Well then there are many other teams who’ve also been “lousy” since 1993. This is not the NHL of the 50′, 60′ or 70′, and your Habs aren’t automatically guaranteed anything. Success breeds contempt, I think, and it’s made Montreal fans much too fickle. I listened to Team 990 last night, read a slew of reports this morning, and everyone seems to be ringing the death bells, after ONE LOUSY GAME! Get over it people.

8. jimhasbeen says:

boone, can you do a stats check on whens the last time we got blanked in a season opener…i can’t remember one

9. Habifax says:

Another upside is we can just cut and paste our posts from last year instead of having to retype everything.

10. O-ZoneVertigo says:

Maybe it’s already been brought up- what would the best patch be with Campoli being injured:
    1) Webber plays D, and call up either Blunden or Palushaj
    or
    2) Keep Webber as a forward, and have Emelin filling in?

What a timing- if we still have Woywitka…

11. Habifax says:

Yeah! Chill out Everyone. Look at the Red Sox they lost the first six games and then came back to …….. nevermind.

12. Jonson says:

Lets all relax it’s one game , we all know how good this team can be . We lost to the leafs last year in our season opener as well and we were fine. Boston lost too you think they are panicking? Please
    We will be fine we have a great team and we will prob get to see it against the peg. You have to give the leafs some credit tonight they played a good 2 periods and riemer was pretty good. Let’s just breathe cause it’s a long seaSon

13. Woodman91 says:

I’m really starting to dislike Martin… Darche on the PP and no Cole? Wait, was Cole even dressed tonight because it seemed to me he didn’t even have a shift… Give this guys some linemates for F shakes!!! Gorges on with less than a minute and your LOSING? Ugh, frustrating to watch the line combos tonight. Completely agree with the Quick Hits tonight, what I have to say has been said… Sunday can’t come soon enough, hopefully some redemption!

14. habs001 says:

no shock here…we have seen this type of game from the habs many many times in the last 2 years…our top forwards when they play well look very good but maybe we have to consider they are basically streaky type players who can also look bad for 5-8 games…maybe just maybe this is what they are..with markov out our d is much weaker in producing points than even lasts years team…

15. Traf27 says:

I’m a big support of ousting JM from behind the bench. I’m also worried about who’s out there to replace him. Unfortunately our glorious management have let 2 great coaches slip out of our system. I fear that we’d be stuck with Hitchcock who’s basically JM without the dumbo ears and ability to speak french. I secretly support Tampa just so PG can see how bad he screwed up letting Guy Boucher go.

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

I don’t understand why anybody expected anything different. This team sucked last season… it will suck this season. The problem is with management, and now looks like Molson a part of the problem too because of he inaction. Whatever… 81 more games of pissing and moaning.

17. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

What exactly does Jackie-boy say to his troops between the 1st and 2nd periods that always results in them coming out after a dominant 1st and laying an egg? Does he lull them into semi-comas with his monotone defense-first speeches?

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

18. Habifax says:

Look at the bright side you could be a Yankees fan right now! :)

19. j2c says:

I was at the game tonight and here are some observations. Both teams look out of sync and rusty however the leafs put that behind them after the first period and we didn’t which was the main difference. The Habs passes and plays were off and out of sync and I do believe that Martin should have had Cole on Plekanec’s line from the start of the game so they could develop chemistry. Would have been nice to see the Habs win however the season is still young and this is only game 1 still 81 more to play so I won’t panic too much.

20. McHab4Life says:

What a Stinkeroo!!! How can JM not have the Team fully prepared for the first game of the season? The whole seemed out of sync, there didn’t seem to be any chemistry on any of the 4 lines. May be JM should’ve taken the preseason more seriously. Absolute disgrace! Not the way to start a season.

21. The Dude says:

You guys are so far off ,all of you!….The problem with the Habs is THEY’RE TOO BIG!!! God that felt good!

22. D Mex says:

Anybody know what the rationale is for having player numbers displayed on the front of the helmets ? It looks kinda Skoda-ish to me.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• Habifax says:

Agree. Looks like some euro thing from the Spengler Cup. If you must have something there a simple team logo would be good i think.

• Duracell3 says:

I thought it was lame as well. Odd desire honestly, perhaps the refs wanted it. The only official thing I could find was:

“The new number placement is designed to aid on-ice officials, broadcasters, et al. by providing an additional point of player identification.” -Schuyler Baehman

• MTLForever says:

Pretty sure it’s to help with making calls, etc.

23. Rad says:

For a while, it was a close game that could have gone either way, but went to the home team. Toronto native P.K. Subban cost us the game — not a good outing for the Boy Wonder.

Expect a better effort against Winnipeg. I think Emelin will have a great game, and may win a permanent spot on the blue line. Emelin and Gorges will make a good tandem IMO.

• deuce6 says:

Great, another tandem that create crap with the puck…Look for another game being shutout….

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

24. habsbeens says:

So people think the Habs can win the NE division!

If you look look up delusional in the dictionary there’s a photo of Habs fans. That and examples of comments from H/IO.

Oddly enough the word whiners is now considered a synonym and has the same photo and quotes.

25. habstrinifan says:

Was this one game a true indicator of the HABS for 2011-2012?

Was the pre-season poor performance a true indicator of the HABS for 2011-2012?

Was the very very odd chain of events which saw JM and PG go thru the ENTIRE pre-season and then on the ‘day before the first game’ send down or waive ALL the players who were the last ‘prospects’ from camp and go out and get an oft injured Betts or Bretts or whatever his name is. only to have him misS the first game because of … yes you guessed it.. an injury…. was this a true indicator of the mess that is habs management ?

26. Harry says:

A very unhappy lot for most of the game…punishing Kostitysin(who was not half bad) or Cole or Weber and others and then with little line shifts is not going to boost team morale and show us a team with some spirit….
    …hope Mr. Molson realizes there is possibly a management problem here in playing the same old predictable style, punishing your players because you think that will force each them to follow the rules set out for them..They actually need to be inspired.

a very skilled team on paper, but not a happy lot! Most look as if they are still in the pre-season or being treated as such….

27. deuce6 says:

I will probably get hung for this, but letting Wisnieuwski/Hammer walk along with giving Markov that lucrative deal will be the downfall of this team..We can’t replace Wiz’s production and puck moving ability and we can’t replace Hammer’s veteran presence from within…Having Markov shelved for so long with so much cap room tied up in him and Gomez, will eventually have this team looking in from the outside come playoff time…We better hope Markov comes back and plays like he was pre knee injuries or it will be a looooong season here in MTL..It was a gamble PG didn’t have to take, IMO…

This team is built on team speed through the neutral zone…We have one, maybe 2 guys that can give that crisp pass up to the forwards in stride…I didn’t see any transition game tonight..People may blame the forwards, but how do expect odd man rushes when the forwards don’t get the puck through the neutral zone?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• avatar_58 says:

Hung? I’ve been a Wiz supporter for quite some time. However we have to wait and see if Markov indeed does come back and kick anus. Until then….

• Kooch7800 says:

I am fine with Wiz leaving but Hamrlik was a bad move. We don’t have enough experience back there. PK is great but he is young and is going to suck some games like he did tonight. He is still learning.

Have Diaz and Emelin in the line up next game scares me.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Wisniewski has one big points season in his career, with Montreal. Outside of that, he’s had three surgeries on his right knee and that makes him just as a cringe-worthy feeling for fans feeling him going down into the boards as Markov.

And Hamrlik, I admire his efforts while he was here but he was not aging like a fine wine. This team had to start turning the page towards a younger blue line.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree that we need to go with youth but not all at once! We don’t have enough experience on the back end

• Hobie Hansen says:

Wizniewski has played 100 and something games, injury free, after his surgery, Making him much less cringe worthy than Markov. Plus he’s much younger.

• SeriousFan09 says:

And if Markov plays the season after coming back from injury… what? Wisniewski was injured after his first knee surgery, and his 2nd. And younger just means that knee is a suspect issue over a longer time frame arguably.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Hobie Hansen says:

Wisniewski is much further out of the woods than Markov. You’d be hard pressed to find someone to disagree with that statement.

• SeriousFan09 says:

He’s also not in Markov’s league as a defencemen. If he can get by in the league after 3 knee operations, Markov can’t get by with two?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Hobie Hansen says:

If is right! Younger also means you heal faster/better. I get bruise now at 35 and it takes longer to heal than when I was 25. Basic knowledge.

And is Markov really that much better than Wisniewski? I’ve watched every game Markov has played in a Habs uniform. He;s very good but Wisniewski is good as well.

• SeriousFan09 says:

And some guys rehab better and come back strong. Selanne’s career was in doubt as the lockout went in. Funny thing, he came back, scored 88 goals in the next two years and won a Cup.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Hobie Hansen says:

And i guess Markov isn’t one of them? He sure hasn’t come back well. Wisniewski did.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Selanne’s knee problems had become very serious before his last big surgery on it though, his seasons were weakening before he finally had the complete reconstruction and rehab.

Markov may or may not come back the same way but to dismiss his having a chance of coming back, please.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Hobie Hansen says:

I didn’t dismiss Markov’s chance of coming back. I said Wisniewski is a good player and a safer bet.

• Harry says:

Hamrlik was a major loss to the team in terms of his experience and skill as well as being the #1 replacement for Markov over almost 2 years….He was not a #1 draft selection for nothing and rapidly signed by a potential cup contender as Washington for good reason …
      ….this whole pre-season has been a stupid sham…not a single promising junior or Hamilton Bulldog (except by chance Enquist perhaps due to an injury to new-found Betts) was left after what seems just a pre-season teaser for the Habs fans….there were some who should have played at least a few games based on their performance…..what a conservative management compared to other teams…
      then with Hamrlik gone we still have an injured Markov, and now an injured Campoli, a not in good physical shape Emelin….problems on the defensive side without Hamrlik

28. caladin says:

The Good:
    Georges is back.
    PK was at times dominant.
    Diaz really was impressive at both ends of the ice.
    Our 5 on 3 PK was fantastic.

The Bad
    Gomez spent the second and much of the third coasting.
    Campoli looked very shaky and was not protecting himself properly. (nothing to do with his injury)
    Darche was maybe our best powerplay man tonight.

The Ugly
    Campoli’s hurt
    We were slow and sloppy in the offensive zone.
    Grabovski skating rings around our whole team.

I know I missed a lot so what did I miss?

• Propwash says:

I’ll give credit where credit is due, Grabs has been pretty friggin impressive. Too bad the organization got rid of him. I can understand why they did it though.

29. Hobie Hansen says:

Oh wow HIO keeps track of hits? I thought it was illegal to talk about hits or even, dare i say it, FIGHTS, on this lovely little site?

30. sag says:

Have some dignity each and every Chicken Little on here. One out of 81. In case you have missed the script lately, they will lose many games this year they shouldn’t, but win more that they shouldn’t. I dont mean to be paternizing, but the whining on here is worse than my kid on any day. Grab a bit of grace and composure. They sucked. Nobody showed up. No other anallysis is needed.

Truly disappointed in the game preparation of our professional hockey club. We played like it was the first game of pre-season. These coaches have to do much better than this foolishness.

Pleckanic on the point was a disaster. Just like last year.
    Power play was junior B.
    Not one line showed intensity for more than 30 seconds.
    More than two passes in a row was very rare.
    Still can not win face offs.
    We play the softest game in the league.
    Our speed was left in Brossard.

Do these coaches think that they can coast this club through pre-season and like magic turn it on come the first game of the season. A team plays like they practice, and our pre-season practice, was a joke this year.

On paper, we win our division hands down, and we probably will, but with these fellas behind the bench, who knows what will happen and when! We have a lot of work ahead, to be able to compete in this league. Could we show a little urgency and intensity Jacques?.

• ffenliv says:

On paper, we win the division hands down? You do realize we have the defending and largely roster-change free champs (chumps?) in our division, right?

There’s no shame in not winning the division. Not coming second, though, would be a failure of a regular season.

• gK_HabsFan says:

Definitly agree!
      Although the coaches may be responsible to get the players ready for the game, players must be accountable as well!

I just thought there was no real flow to the game!
      I am sure the team will be better prepared for sunday!

-GK-

• Kooch7800 says:

I thought we looked a lot softer than usual out there as an entire team.

The issue we have with size will be injuries as we have seen the last few seasons and the sauga continues. Campoli our most recent signing is gone. that leaves both Diaz and Yemelin on our back end. Neither with nhl experience. Don’t like the feeling I am getting about our D

• 123456 says:

prep was fine – habs domintaed…. but coming away without a goal hurts…thten the laughs got an easy one to start the second.

dare i say both goals were started by a PK mistake

• SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, when Ian is disappointed with a game you know the team has some issues.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

32. Laramy87 says:

So i logged onto my facebook page after the game and 3, count em 3 ppl had posted something simialar to -
    “Leafs shutout habs at home, so much for carey prices vezina season, habs fan can eat sh*t, this is our stanley cup”
    Its a sad sad fan base that winning your home opening against the habs is really all they care about. They can go 1-81 but they beat the habs in the opener. I hate leaf fans.

Then i come on here and read comments. PEOPLE ITS ONE GAME. We have 81 to go. I guess now we can’t go 82-0. I say calm down and relax. Habs never play well against the Leafs, i never feel confident when playing them, Habs never seem to get up for these games.
    Sunday will be a better showing. Remember we lost to the leafs in the opener last yr and we were fine.

GO HABS GO

• Habtastic says:

yup….what you said

————–
      The Drive for 25

• ooder says:

the issue is the constant trends that never seem to go away
      one goal and they stop playing
      get physically dominated
      questionable coaching
      no preparation for the game
      very frustrating
      ——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• smiler2729 says:

Leaf fans have a perpetual skidmark in their Wendy Clark underwear, a brown streak to match the yellow streak down their backs.

But in April they’re all watching our team in the post-season.

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

• Traf27 says:

Last years 3-2 loss was an entertaining and close game. Tonight’s game was a overall lack of emotion. Our skill and our speed dominated the first, but between periods when the coaching started to influence the game, our weakest link surfaced.

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

33. PeterStastny26 says:

Guys like Komisarek and Schenn, you can see they really enjoy playing the Canadiens. Six times a year, they can abuse and bully all they want without having to answer to anyone.

• CanadienBoy says:

AT this rate PK will get hurt in the next 10 games

• Habtastic says:

If Cammy-Pleks-AK OR Gio-Gomez-Pac had any of the tic tac toe chemistry they will get back to, they would have made Schenn and Komi look exactly the way they have in the past….go for the hit…miss (which DID happen to schenn on Max)…result in goal by the midgets. They’re LUCKY we wasted our pre-season. We needed chemistry that is a couple games away from arriving. Two weeks from now, we’ll see how far the hitting gets them.

————–
      The Drive for 25

34. Marc10 says:

Ouch. Painful.

There was some really ugly stuff and as usual no one scored.

I’ve seen this movie against TO so many times. It’s truly pathetic. The Habs simply cannot motivate themselves against this team. They play much better against Van, Bos, Philly, Detroit, Was, TB, Pitt, Chi…

It is remarkable how they always save their worst for this glorified AHL lineup. Every fricken year it’s the same thing. All over the place and they make the Leafs look good.

Komi looked like an NHL defenceman. TO’s fourth line looked like they could play hockey… Every F year…

Are you kidding me?! I wish someone would ask the leadership group / coaches, why the Habs are so incredibly ill-prepared for their first game. Every year…

Come playoff time the Habs show up well prepared. I’m always impressed how their first post-season outing is clinical it in its efficiency. Why can’t they get dialed in like that for their first game to set the tone?! Every year.

You’re on the road against a team that won’t make the show who will come out strong. Play a F road game. Simplify your game! WTF.

• Propwash says:

I think I know the modus operandi behind why the Habs lose to the Leafs in game 1. It’s to give the fans false hopes for the playoffs, and then as we watch those dreams get dashed yet again, we as Habs fans get to gloat and see them try to piece together why their team dropped the ball.

35. habaholic68NJ says:

I don’t know if I can take another year of JM and his coaching. With a little luck, we will loose our first 10 in a row and PG will fire him. I have only been following this team since 1968 so can someone explain Martin’s selection of players to put on the ice in the last two minutes when down by 2?

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

36. ooder says:

so the ref calls a phantom call on kostitsyn.. (that was not a penalty) and he gets benched.
    typical JM.. as well as playing Darche on the PP and Moen when the net was empty
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Traf27 says:

Completely agree. And benching AK only got Cole *cough* 4.5 million *cough* about 3 shifts on the top line he was supposed to be on since we signed him. Can we get a “Fire JM” petition going. If we get him out by December we may have a shot at the playoffs.

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

• punkster says:

I’ll suggest that Darche and Moen were showing far more intensity than AK, Cole, Max and a few others. Why play the guys who don’t want to win? Better to play the ones who do this time even if they haven’t got half the talent. Maybe the message gets through?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Traf27 says:

Ak actually had a decent game. Play him against 3rd liners he woulda had a hat trick tonight. Cole couldn’t get into the game cuz he was never played quick on the puck. If we keep giving Darche and Moen more minutes than our skill players there’s no surprise that we start complaining that the habs do a lot of skating and accomplish very little.

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

• HabCez says:

agree with the phantom call.. and why bench AK in the third..
      unless Cole is hurt.. he should have been playing the PP unit and on one of the top 2 lines..

‘Jumbo’ Martin is a ‘suit’ and will always be a ‘suit’..
      he is more suited to principal a high school..

37. CanadienBoy says:

Toronto D did ours forwards in , better get use to it

• Tony McLean says:

Smurfs lose. Gandhi Gauthier and Mohandas Martin to discuss Winterpig strategy over leek soup.

“The point is that Fergie wasn’t, and didn’t have to be, a non stop brawler. His hard earned reputation preceded him, and he could keep the opposition in line without spending all night in the penalty box.” – Jean Beliveau

38. punkster says:

2460.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

39. JasonM says:

Why am I not surprised Campoli is hurt already? Soft as pillows.

As far as the game goes, can’t blame the D nor the goaltending, if your players don’t score and don’t finish it wouldn’t have mattered.

40. Propwash says:

Guess it was a good idea to hang onto Emelin eh?

41. SeriousFan09 says:

- No Cole or Pacioretty in the final minute, all the forwards out there were under 6′ and we had Josh Gorges out there too.
    - Team lacked intensity after the first 20, than waited until they were down 2-0. Trademark of the Canadiens for years, not caring about a game they should take for the points.
    - Cole was completely underused in the game. Pacioretty seemed timid like he was before his explosive recall last season.
    - Still can’t score in Amsterdam with a briefcase of Euros.
    - Price could have held a shutout and it wouldn’t have mattered.
    - Pleks is still having issues generating in the offensive zone to start the year.
    - To sum up the night, Lupul beat two Habs for that last icing call and their legs were going like his were on it.

And dare I say it, is PK Subban in danger of the sophomore slump? *Dodges beer bottles*

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

42. homerbowen says:

So this is what we waited for all summer?????
    Pathetic display by a small, soft, poorly coached, injury prone team.
    Just wait until we get spanked by the Jets.
    Reimer 2…Price 0
    Great start!!!!

43. TOEmastro says:

Good night Ralph, Goodnight Sam

Olé, olé, olé oleé

44. rogieshan says:

Not a fan of Plekanec manning the point on the PP.

Size still an issue up the middle; team cannot compete physically in the opponents goal area.

I’m feeling Gionta could be hard-pressed to break 20 Goals this year.

• Tony McLean says:

I think he can do 30-ish again but what about the 20 or 30 game drought?

45. gK_HabsFan says:

Couple of thoughts from Game #1:

1) Why sign Cole to an $18 million contract if you’re going to play him on the 3rd line, and almost no PP time?

2) Darche on the PP?? You Serious?

3) Contrary to what people are saying, I thought Gomez had a really solid game, minus the penalty.

4) Kostitsyn…. Basically his career in a nutshell. Flashes of great skill, and then absolutely nothing for the remainder of the game. I didn’t like how he played on the PP… soft!

5) As opposed to having a forward on the point on the PP, I’d rather see Diaz there. He made a few mistakes, but otherwise very solid.

6) Gorges… with one minute left… on the ice…you serious??

7) Despite only facing 18 shots, Price was definitely our best player. What ticked me off was the he was run over by the Leafs at least 3 times during the game, and NO ONE came to defend him… absolutely garbage.

8) Subban will be better.

9) Martin had a poor game as well! Very questionable line combos, and the use of some players.

10) And, it’s only game #1! I would be shocked if they played this way on Sunday!

-GK-

• rogieshan says:

I was actually expecting Martin to put Moen back on the 1st line. Yeesh.

• Qikdraw says:

Not too shocked, I have said from day one Martin is ………. coach and just kills me to see him still there, but hey never won anything in Ottawa or Florida and some people here still think this team can win with him at the helm

• gK_HabsFan says:

I actually like to believe he is a decent to good coach! I am just trying to figure out his line combos… *Still Scratching my Head?

-GK-

• Traf27 says:

Why? he had success in Ottawa behind a stacked bench… No cup.
          went to Florida… Did nothing but trade away Luongo for ziltch.
          Here in Montreal he has ridden Halak and Cammy to a ECF
          Rode Price to game seven against Boston.

Since Martin has been here we’ve seen Guy Boucher who could win a Stanley Cup this year and Kirk Muller who brought the best out of our young players and ran a PP that got us into the playoffs the past 2 years.

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

• Traf27 says:

Biggest problem tonight was Martin. We pick up Cole (not cheap) too add size to our top line and have the added benefit of allowing AK to play against 3rd line opposition. JM doesn’t like this plan because it might create goals which he hates. Cole shoulda played at least 15 minutes tonight. Instead he played less than Pleks played… on Special teams only. So for this I have created a new signature.

Cole must be shooting himself for signing here.

• gK_HabsFan says:

hahaha … I honestly feel that J-Mart gave AK46 a shot at the top 6 and the PP to prove that he is an impact forward on this team. I think he just lost his chance!

Expect Cole to play with Pleks next game and on the PP

-GK-

• Traf27 says:

I sincerely hope so. AK has had what 3-4 years to prove he’s an impact forward.

Cole must be shooting himself for signing here.

• ProHabs says:

Your point number 7, get used to that. You are going to see that all year. Teams will be running Price like a yellow light because nobody can protect him. Troy Armstrong is a light -middle weight at best and nobody on the Habs can take care of him. The same with Komisarek. We all know what a real puss he is, but is doesn’t fear anyone on the Habs. Pretty sad.

• gK_HabsFan says:

I’m not saying to go pick a fight, but at least stand up for the guy! He is your teams best player! All I am asking for is a little scrum… at the least!

-GK-

46. Un Canadien errant says:

Well, I just finished watching Maple Leaf Night in Toronto, a tough loss for the Canadiens, but I did learn a lot about the Leafs, lots of cool infographics about them and their players. Good of CBC to tailor the coverage towards me as a Montreal fan, I guess they knew I’m quite familiar with all the Canadiens players and their stories, so they thought they’d focus on Dion Phaneuf and David Steckel.

The game itself didn’t have a lot of flow and emotion. The Leafs I think were kind of surprised to score the first goal and having an opportunity to win after being dominated in the first period, kind of like Vince Wilfork with an interception falling into his hands, so they started rumbling and stumbling with it, kind of like Vince Wilfork running with the ball after an interception. The Canadiens looked disjointed and listless, like they would have benefited from one or two more pre-season games with a full roster.

Jaroslav Spacek isn’t strong enough to play NHL hockey. Every hit he took was enough to cause him to fall to the ice. He may be fitter than last year, but he’s still overmatched by most players he comes up against.

My eye was drawn to Andrei Kostitsyn during the game, and I was rarely impressed. I don’t know if I’m developing an unhealthy obsession with him, but every time I saw him he’d be circling aimlessly in the offensive zone. On his give and go with Tomas Plekanec in the first period, he floated too long before realizing he should charge the net, and got there too late to pot a fat easy rebound. Maybe the coaches saw the same thing I did, and maybe the experiment didn’t last even a whole game, but Erik Cole found himself on the top line in the third period.

I also noticed that the Canadiens have Perry Pearn and Randy Cunneyworth behind the bench, but defence coach Randy Ladouceur is up in the press box. With all the young and new defencemen the Canadiens have, I think it would be important to have Mr. Ladouceur behind the bench doling out tips and encouragement. Especially if Chris Campoli is injured and we have to press Mr. Yemelin into service, this should be considered.

Not a great start to the season, and it stings that it’s to the Leafs, the CBC’s second favourite team after the Bruins, but it may be a little early to panic. For now.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

47. habs-hampton says:

I hate to start dumping on Gomez, but… WOW… it’s like Groundhog Day!

48. Kooch7800 says:

PK didn’t play well. Price was in good form though.

Ak shouldn’t have been benched cause his penalty was a phantom call.

We need some physicality on our 4th line. Moen is terrible.

Why was Moen on the ice when Price was pulled?

49. Trisomy 21 says:

DD also seemed to have his eyes closed when he shot the puck. I don’t know if he’s trying to hurt the leafs but it wasn’t working tonight.

50. D Mex says:

They skated well and had TO off-balance throughout – all is well.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

51. CanadienBoy says:

This is the way every teams who watched the game tape back to Boston will play us

52. Traf27 says:

Yeah so we brought in a Power forward for $4.5million. But JM is likes him as a 3rd line winger.

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

53. Propwash says:

Mea culpa…. sorry for steppin’ on yer turf there…..