Not the end … but you can see it from here

Man, I hate afternoon hockey.

Michael F. Leighton … again.

1. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Darren Dreger is saying Carcillo is out…..then who will chirp with Max during the pregame skate?!?

2. aemarchand11 says:

Rushing back Carter shows the desperation of the Flyers. I dont see much in lapperiere playing, its the playoffs so its not like he will be fighting, just checking in a fourth line role.

Carter has a hard time picking up speed but once he does he skates fine. Our speed will kill.

-Halak it alot because the Price is right-

3. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Carter and Laperriere are in…..does JM’s game plan change at all?

4. Danno says:

We’ve got the orange monkey off our backs now.

Carcillo is having nightmares about people sticking their tongues out at him. Not sure if they are boys or girls…

Leighton has become Light On.

Richards has become a spokesman for Karma and what goes around comes around.

Maxim, man of a thousand faces is getting under Flyers skin.

Flyers are f@cked up.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

5. kempie says:

Hilarious. BGL goes 0-6. Reminds me of Ben Johnson on the comeback when he was racing horses. Aaaahhhh, good times.

6. jbroderi says:

tell him to go to hell!!

go habs go

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

7. Danno says:

A literary blooper.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. nightmare_49 says:

… Mr.Stubbs tweets that Kelly Sutherland and Stephen Walkom are the refs for this important match.

9. habfab14120 says:

What terrible spelling?  You got Shrek right.

10. joeybarrie says:

Am I the only one who was thinking if he is only texting Habs goals, how did he know it was in fact 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, etc???

Maybe I missed something while i was looking up eery third word to see its meaning, but its a decent system if your otherwise engaged. But I need to know how to tell if a goal is for us or them???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. dh says:

I’ll be watching it from the other coach’s iphone while coaching a soccer match for my son’s team.  So maybe someone can curse out Carcillo for me as I’m limited around the M13 kids.

Nothing like Saturday afternoon hockey.  But go habs anyway.

12. jbroderi says:

please ignore the terrible spelling!  haha

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

13. jbroderi says:

The flyers think they can now come out a bully the Habs.  That may work, if the habs wilt, but if they can skete through the checks and leave all the after the whistle follishness be, I think we can get the flyers running around again, which will mean pp after pp.  Stick with the plan, because with guys like Pronger, Carcillo, Shrek Laperierre, Richards and Hartnell, composure will be very difficult for that team of thugs.

On another note, Leighton let a few goals go through him last game.  Shoot from anywhere and get traffic, and he’ll fold like a $50 Canadian Tire tent!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

14. tony d says:

it’s pouring rain in Leaf country….

15. wd40 says:

i’m hoping for a lot of brrrs this afternoon 🙂

16. SBAH says:

give you 100.00 for it

17. Xtrahabsfan says:

Flyers suck!

18. SPATS says:

Cute New Yorker story Mr Boone, just when I thought I knew it all, I realize (again) I know nothing. This guy might as well have been talking in Klingon, but he’s a die hard HabsFan and for that I salute him!

19. Big Ted says:

Ideal scenario: Habs go up big again and get another PP in the last two minutes. JM throws out the 4th line with OB and Gill on the point. Hal Gill wrists one at 18 mph and it sails over Leighton’s shoulder into the net to ice the cake. Ater the game, Mike Richards complains about how the Habs were running up the score.

20. Danno says:

I’m with you. Habs in six.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

21. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

However they have to manufacture indignation, I guess. Flyers had their top PP unit out up 6-0 with 5 minutes left in game 1. It’s hockey. If you don’t want to get embarrassed, play better. We did.

I think I must have given the wrong impression here.  I really wasn’t talking about how he would play in this series it was more a case of us signing him years ago when he was in his prime.

It’s now raining here so all of a sudden a 3pm start looks pretty good to me.  However, it could be a bit of a tough day on the liver.

23. BienvenueSurLaPasserelle says:

Champs Lg coverage starts at 230, game starts 2:45 ET, 4:15 for me here on the rock, so we get to watch 15 minutes of it haha…

_____________________

To You From Failing Hands We Throw The Torch, Be Yours To Hold It High.

24. Castor says:

So Richards and the Flyers are complaining that Martin put his top PP unit out in the last minute of the game.

They’re saying he wanted to rub it in or something.

I thought Sidney was the only huge cry-baby in these playoffs.

The flyers won 6 Nothing in the first game! JM wants his PP unti to get their confidence back.

25. habs fan from stonyplain says:

well out here in alberta its a mere 3 degrees outside send some sun please, as for the flyers boo friken hoo if you don’t like our power play then stop it. There whole team is a bunch of pretenders from the goalie to there rat carcillo, I hate them and hope we show them that there is a reason leighton is a careert minor leaguer.

26. smiler2729 says:

Habs 3, Flyers 2 OT

Fearless predictions are easy.

27. petrov14 says:

Such a beautiful day outside! WHY AM I INDOORS? NBC!!

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

28. danp says:

I watched him quite a bit when he was playing for the Avs – they are the team closest to Wyoming. He is a team player and does what it takes. Good guy – if he is on our side 😉 Too bad.

29. thepriceiswrong says:

one ticket? in desjardins? good luck getting rid of that.

30. HabFab says:

Ahhh Dutchie, believe he did both! You brought back some old memories,thanks!

31. Big Ted says:

My feeling, and I have been wrong as many times as I have been right these playoffs, so take it for what it’s worth, is that if we win today, we will win the next two as well. The team looked very good last game, doing all of the things they failed to do when we were being outshot and beaten: taking the puck to the middle of the ice and going hard to the net, not letting the opposition enter our zone unchallenged, breaking out with guys in motion, etc. They did this as well the first half of Game 2 and if you take out the dumb penalties, we actually outplayed Phi for more of the game than they outplayed us, and we could easily be up 2-1 in this series.

I think the boys will come out flying again today, the confidence has got to be back and the Flyers in my opinion are looking like they’re going to go back to goon tactics. They played like a team trying to make a point rather than win the game against Boston until they were facing elimination, and based on the way they’re talking, i think they are distracting themselves as much this series. I think they’re going to start taking more bad penalties and it’ll be up to us to capitalize on them. Prediction for the game: Habs 4 Flyers 3. AK46 looks like he is about to break-out with a big one, you coudl tell last game he heard the crowd and came back with a lot of second efforts. I think he plays the hero today.

32. SlovakHab says:

Rachůnek is a very slow skater and that surely helped him recover.

What to say about Gustavsson? He’s got size and intensity as you say. But flops around, overcommits the shooter, doesn’t play positionally sound, probably can’t handle pressure much as he’s pretty unexperienced and has a massive five-hole. Good news he’s a Maple Leaf. Carey Price and Jaro Halak are 5 times the goalie he is and we should be grateful for that.

B.Burke is building the Bruins through the draft.

33. jbroderi says:

If we can start hard again, it’ll bode well for us.  We don’t want to go back to philly 3 to 1.  I guess that’s stating the obvious, but if we go back square, we’re in good !!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

34. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2.

I replied to your post down below.

35. ed lopaz says:

I agree with your point.

But I was trying to reply to a guy asking why a player 6″3 200 “could” be more effective than Plekanec?

Nothing is 100 per cent one way or the other.

For example, there have been very strong NHL players at who were shorter than 6′, and very lanky and not strong at all players who are 6’3.

As I said, the taller player has to be able to use his larger body, otherwise its useless – i.e Pouliot.

36. Fansincebirth says:

I remember using the ‘Ooh Aah Terriers on the war path’ back in Portage la Prairie Manitoba when I was a kid for, of course, the Portage Terriers hockey team. That was in the ’70s

37. showey47 says:

incredbile recovery by hedman after “MABING” the puck.

38. Tourneur says:

I HAVE A TICKET FOR TODAYS GAME!  but there i can’t see it!! fml   i just listed on ebay.  sec218 row d.  first 200 takes it!  reg. 360.  this is a terrible day for me..

39. jbroderi says:

i get your point.   tough guy who can contribute!!  He is that, but it’ll take him a few games before he can be a factor

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

40. jbroderi says:

I hope he bought you dinner first.  Sure, 5 years ago, he would have been a really effective guy, even 5 weeks ago, but he is out of shape and is being thrown into a high paced series.  He won’t facotr in the first couple of games, unless he negatively impacts the flyers because he is out of sync.  He is doing this because he wants a piece of glory, if the flyers can win it all.  Issue is, he is putting his life at risk!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

41. HUDSONHAB says:

How many people are watching this game at their cabin or at a campsite or even on an island somewhere in God’s country?

That’s the best thing about CBC, you can still get it through the air waves.

No cable? No dish? No problem.

….Hab4life….

42. showey47 says:

I find that he is too aggresive and over plays cross ice passes hence throwing himself out of position. The best part of his game is probably his intensity and his size can somewhat cover up his positonal flaws

43. Clay4bc says:

MY GOD MAN – Someone give BGL some meat – and quickly!

Steroids and veggies don’t mix, appearantly…

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot –

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

44. SlovakHab says:

Jonas Gustavsson (Leafs) flops around the crease like a headless chicken. His positional play and technique is pretty poor.

45. punkster says:

To reply to a specific post click on “reply” at the bottom of that post.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

46. G-Man says:

All I’m saying is all types of players are strong. The Habs dominated by speed as well as by being physical. Being strong is all well and good, but being speedy and strong makes for a better player.

47. bsl says:

You think too much. ‘Long core short core tall reach blah blah blah.

It’s just hockey, it’s a simple game. Prevent goal, score goal.

There’s good players and sh-it players. Secret? There is no secret, ask any player:  Talent, desire, courage, skating.

Sorry to neg you, but your post has nothing to do with playing hockey.

48. bsl says:

How come you can’t quote a guy above and have it as the last comment? This ain’t working HIO. Please fix.

To the analyst above on body size, reach, core, blah blah:

You think too much. ‘Long core short core tall reach blah blah blah.

It’s just hockey, it’s a simple game. Prevent goal, score goal.

Sorry to neg you, but your post has nothing to do with playing hockey.

49. ed lopaz says:

I was replying to this post located below on the page:

I’ve got one question: What exactly is the size advantage? People say: Plekanec is small, Jeff Carter is big (for example).

Plekanec is 5-11, 200 lbs

Carter is 6-3, 200 lbs

Does Carter have the advantage of being taller with the same weight? Besides the longer reach, I don’t see it. This isn’t the NBA..

50. ed lopaz says:

Ya – Ok – I saw that too.

But do you truly believe that Gionta is stronger and more physical than Pronger?

Tell you what, you build an entire team of players Gionta size, I’ll build my entire team the size of Pronger,

I’m quite confident we can control the boards and in front of the net.

There is reason why big is stronger in hockey.

if you don’t want to accept it, I’m not here to try and convince you.

51. bsl says:

You think too much. ‘Long core short core tall reach blah blah blah.

It’s just hockey, it’s a simple game. Prevent goal, score goal.

Sorry to neg you, but your post has nothing to do with playing hockey.

52. ths says:

Actually that cry originates with the Loyola warriors I believe.

And it was made famous at the old forum where some guy used to shout it through a megaphone.

Was that the famous Dutchie ?

What about the guy who used to do the battle cry with the trumpet ? That was Dutchie I think.

Can any real Habs fans help me out with that ?

Would love to find some youtube footage. I had a quick look the other night but couldnt find anything.

Booner and Stubbsie should know….

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

53. twocents says:

The battle cry for the football team was “Ooh Aah Cheetahs on the war path”

54. ths says:

I took a calculus class there at night once, why ?

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

55. G-Man says:

Gionta belted Pronger the other night. Who was hurt by it?

56. twocents says:

Did you go to Vanier College?

57. ths says:

He doesnt have MAB’s great outlet pass , shot blocking and front of net clearing ability

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

58. punkster says:

Great game and Engvist does indeed look good.

PS…Made it through Sudbury last Friday for a quick grocery shop, flew in to the camp late in the day and out Sunday PM. Sorry, no time to stop for a blended beverage. Next time.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

59. twocents says:

Shawn Belle continues to put up solid plus/minus stats. He’s leading Hamilton in the playoffs. He has size, a good shot and the scouting says he can skate quite well. I wonder what aspect of his game has kept him in the minors this long.

Do any of you out there have an idea? Bryan???

I praised him as a secondary player who can take a roster spot and play hockey.   A definite step up from a goon.  He would have been 30 back in 2004.

My real point is that it’s better to have guys like Lappy, Neil or Thornton on your team instead of some meathead who can only serve the role as a thug.

61. G-Man says:

Team CHaracter will have its work cut out today. The Flyers will be better, and the Habs will have to maintain their high level of intensity and speed. Score early and often, boys!

62. ths says:

Is the champions league at 3 also I thought it was at 2 ?

I have to get up at 3am where I am and watch the Habs on the web.

Off to bed now. Make it worth my while boys.

My fearless prediction :

4-1 Habs

Carcillo breaks neck running our Laps from behind and missing

Subban scores on end to end invoking ghost of Robinson

MAb pounds out Hartnell invoking ghost of Robinson (OK Obviously im on drugs now)

63. ed lopaz says:

Hey buddy, Recchi vs a 6’2 200 lb NHL STRONG HOCKEY PLAYER, who wins the battle??

(definitely not Pouliot who plays like a freakin girl half the time)

and, who was talking about longevity? that’s a different discussion.

64. 100HABS says:

Hilarious. BGL not in game-shape, he seems even pudgier than me.

65. 100HABS says:

You’re making him up to be a God. Sounds Kinda like the stuff we were hearing about BGL before he got here. Believe me, if Laperrière ever did play here, there would be plenty of reasons found to criticize him. For starters, he takes dumb penalties and puts his team in trouble. He has lead hands. He’s old/slow score 3 – 4 goals per season and takes time away from another who can score more.

I would have taken him 10 years ago, but not at 36. He will be a non-factor, unless he is a liability tonight.

66. showey47 says:

Engqvist scores the go ahead goal for sweden and is leading the czech’s 2-1 with about 4 mins left in the second. He was also instrumental on the first goal,though not picking up an assist. I’ve been watching him closely the entire tournament and i’m really impressed with his play.

67. Bob Barker says:

That was cool to see.

68. Norm0770 says:

Two weeks ago I invited the French (from France) boyfriend of a friend of ours over to watch the Chapmions League soccer final…this afternoon at 3:00.  At that point the Habs were down 3-2 to Pittsburgh and not looking likely to be in the Playoffs much longer.  Even optomistically I never thought there would be an conflicting Saturday afternoon game in the semi-finals if the Habs were in it.

Also why the hell were there 2 games per night for the fisrt two games.  With 2 series there should have been a game EVERY OTHER NIGHT, like when I was growing up.  You never had to look at the schedules then, the games were Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday… at 8:30 Atlantic time for Wales Conference games and offset by 1-3 hours for Campbell Conference games.  Wow that brings back memories, luckily I’m not on a rant about why Bettman changed all the division and conference names.

Fortunately I do have DVR so I could watch the game at proper hockey time.  Also the French guy is planning to move to Montreal, and he seems eager to know about French-Canadian culture before he goes there.  He has asked me about hockey, and les Canadiens specifically, so I could chalk this up to a potential learning experience for him.

69. showey47 says:

I was hoping gainey would sign him last summer.

70. G-Man says:

” a man with a longer “core” in the middle of his body will be more
    difficult to check off the puck”

Definitely untrue. Look at Pouliot, who has about the same build as Carter. That “longer core” means it is harder to absorb a hit. Look at Recchi: his longevity is due to being built like a fire hydrant.

71. mrhabby says:

and is playing after a brain contusion….yikes.

72. ProHabs says:

I agree, he would have been a great signing by Bob Gainey. Maybe Gainey did want to sign him but like some of the cowards like Briere who ran away with his tail between his legs because he don’t want to play in front of the loyal Canadiens fans, maybe Laparierre didn’t want to come here.

73. SlovakHab says:

Speaking of Laraque, as you all may know, he fought Georges St.-Pierre on Off The Record.

Lost as expected, but I wouldn’t give GSP much chance in a boxing fight on skates versus VGL.

Ian Laperriere – the player that Bob Gainey should have signed back in the summer of 2004.

Tough as nails, Lappy is able to take a regular shift on a secondary line and add muscle and intimidation to the line-up.  This guy is willing to drop the gloves with anyone.  Consummate team player, great checker and penalty killer.  He usually plays RW but can also take a turn at centre.  Feisty as hell with guts to spare, this guy is a true warrior.  Not to mention that he’s from Montreal, Quebec.  What a lost opportunity.

Georges Laraque couldn’t even tie up this guy’s skates.

75. ed lopaz says:

Height does matter in hockey. The reach matters, especially when racing for a loose puck.

Also, a man with a longer “core” in the middle of his body will be more difficult to check off the puck or handle one on one down low, against the boards or in front of the net.

In a full contact game, Jeff Carter can be more physical and more effective in the physical aspect of the game than Plekanecs.

But the taller player still must engage his physical body and use it to his advantage.