Not easy

A goal by Richard Park turned the third period into a nailbiter until Alex Kovalev scored his 20th, an empty-netter that made it 3-1 and capped the Canadiens’ 15th road win of the season.

Not a bad night fo the second line that is really the first line: Tomas Plekanec two goals, Kovy a goal and an assist – not to ention a long, heroic shift agaist six Islanders’ skaters during the final minute.

1. ebk says:

their 3rd of 4th in the league in scoring, not sure that applies, my friend

2. showey47 says:

wow, islanders only got one shot that period

3. P St. Pierre says:

The Canadiens are not playing a great team tonight, but they do have a very good goalie. Let’s hope they can bury a few more and shake any confidence that DiPietro might be giving the Islanders.

4. blnieder says:

This just in from TSN – Toronto Sports Network

Dreger: Cliff Fletcher will be the Laffs Interim General Manager just as long as he passes the TO physical.
    Physical Test –
    1. Do what Pettie says for 6 months.
    2. Trade, waive and buyout all players on current team, no one is an
    untouchable.
    3. Bring up all Marlies who would be considered excellent prospects,
    that means the entire Marlie squad.
    4. Make sure the team does not improve above last place in the standings.
    (30th).
    Then Dreger says:
    Fletcher maybe will accept full time employment if he follows the rules
    in the next 5 1/2 months.
    Sundin will re-sign for nothing with the Laffs during free agency (free).
    Stamos and Tavaras will be the Laffs #1 draft choices over the next two
    years.
    With all the draft choices they will have accumulated they will draft
    players immediately ready for the NHL with the result that they will be
    Stanley Cup contenders in the next TWO (2) years.

Who are these people on TSN – Weathermen.

Cable should pay us to watch the crime perpetrated on this station or change this from Sports to a Crime-Drama feature. Dreger 2- years for the Laffs to be a cup contender, 41 years since the last Stanley Cup. Maybe the Jock Strap Cup – Not the Stanley Cup which belongs to our BELOVED HABS.

Dreger stick to talking about the weather or is it whether?

Oh! I forgot the Laffs hired these guys as top DRAFT choice picks. Maybe for drinking beer.

Go Habs Go. Continue The Tradition

Go Laffs Go. Continue Your Condition

5. RH says:

1P Break: My pal Dave Stubbs on Pedneault: Let’s see. Latendresse misses 6×4 feet of empty net. Nothing. Higgins misfires on a pass. “Mauvaise jeu par Higgins…”

hmmm……..

6. NLhabsfan says:

Ryder is not alone…I have seen a few players miss an open net tonight.

7. Sulemaan says:

Are you watching online or via satellite?

8. howtathor says:

Not a bad period. How did Ryder miss the net??? He is hustling tonight. Should be 3-0 by now. Habs had a few good chances on the nine shots. Keep this up and we will win. Excellent zone clearance and breakaway speed. Higgins really adds that element on the first line. With all due respect to Latendresse, he is no speed demon. With Koivu and Kosti, Higgy gives them an element of danger! I hope Carbo keeps this line intact.

9. cfposi says:

Watching live from England…hello again Booners!

“It’s time for your Montreal Canadiens to reach into their jocks and feel around for a scrotum and its content.” – Boone

10. teamplayer says:

ryders shot was not even near the net.. dipietro was so far out of his net and it easily went in far corner

11. showey47 says:

3 on 1, ryder takes a slapshot and misses the net by 4 feet

12. CHiggins says:

haha…which is why koivu rarely scores off a shot

13. Shawn S says:

Imagine if Koivu was back to his old self to go along with Kovalevs great year? I’d feel really good about this year then. I think by March Captain K will be back to form.

14. MikeL says:

haha yea i noticed that

15. MikeL says:

The fact that my 12 year old brothers shot is better than Koivus really hurts his production

16. showey47 says:

omg saku, now there’s a sign of lack of confidence as a goal scorer

17. Shawn S says:

Pleks has such a great shot. I’m glad hes only 23.

And Koivu!!! so cloose, shoot the puck!

18. the_vipah says:

Said as Streit coughs up the puck 2x trying to get out of the D zone.

19. CHiggins says:

Pleky is amazing…
    give this guy an 8 year 40 million$ contract now

20. MikeL says:

It’s unbelievable how much better Streit is back there than Brisebois.

21. showey47 says:

hey, i just got in and pleky scores sweet.

22. CHiggins says:

Come on Higgy, do something

23. JB_15 says:

What a shot!!!!!

1-0!!!

24. MatttheHabsFan says:

This year it seems like Kovalev is only concerned with W’s…the Habs are a much better team with him thinking this way.

25. Keith says:

Just got in from digging out…again! I’m sick of all this snow ! Ryder’s saying,”I wondered when you were going to call that one ref”.

26. yathehabsrule says:

Did he REJECT a spot ir say whe WOULD reject it if offered? Likely he would rather take a spot that he earned and not as a ‘replacement’ and prefer to use the time off to rest.

27. yathehabsrule says:

Like the Robert Johnson comment on Conklin Mike…

28. JB_15 says:

Smolinski with ryder and higgins?

Is this a joke?

Is carbonneau purposely trying to waste our talent by pairing it with guys who cant skate with them?

29. JB_15 says:

Alex Kovalev rejected a spot in the all-star game…

Any thoughts on this one?

30. doug says:

i don’t follow

31. The Teacher says:

me neither…

32. likehoy says:

i hope you all eat your words and saku leads us to the cup!!

saku has had a thousand different linemates this year they should install a revolving door!

as long as he’s part of the team and still our captain, we should back him to get back on track rather than bitch and moan about him not being the player he used to be. Didn’t we say that about alexei last year?? Koivu’s never had a bad season for us until this season…and what?? as habs fans we’re not entitled to give him the benefit of the doubt??? He’s still on pace for scoring over 60 points…he had only 62 in the season after the lockout…so statistically he’s not doing poorly and he’s unlucky that he has to play with inconsistent players…in fact he’s playing his part as a SECOND LINE centre…how many second line centres have as many points or more than Koivu’s 33points?? maybe 3 or 4…brad richards 38, dany briere 41, brind’amour/matt cullen 37 and he’s tied with mike fisher. I’m not counting malkin cause he spends a lot of shifts riding crosby’s coattails.

If we can pick up another scoring forward (hossa :):)), Koivu would benefit greatly, or a big centre in place of koivu, koivu would become the ideal third line centre…he’s defensively aware and plays with unlimited heart and can wind down his career in montreal as a shut-down centre. Many high-scoring forwards spend the twilight of their career playing as a 3rd and 4th line vets (he has 1 year after this year left on his contract…a little patience and we can re-sign him for cheaper). Koivu has unlimited experience that our young guys can dearly benefit from. Who would you rather your young guys learn from? Mike Ribeiro mr. focal point of dallas? or Saku Koivu? who has battled back from cancer, career-threatening eye injury, a member on the IOC committee for the olympics…national captain and hero and overall nice guy. Think about it.

33. sidhu says:

I agree with the first part of your statement – we will not win the Cup so long as Koivu is our Captain. We have emotional attachment for him, respect for what he has accomplished and the flair he had, but let’s face it – he’s not the same player.

34. doug says:

There was nothing to see. . . I just acted childish based on past issues I’ve had with her related to how she’s treated others and gave her a little bit of a rough time.

35. The Teacher says:

From what I saw of the game, he was out there and buzzing…..Higgins kept losing the puck on him.

36. Yeats says:

Never confuse motion with action.

37. The Teacher says:

unless it’s back-checking, right Yeats?

38. Yeats says:

First line center? Captain of the Montreal Canadiens? Please!

39. doug says:

count me in. i was actually thinking about the fact that he’s been my favorite player in the past and that tonight he was a total non-contributor. i thought the same thing when i was reading quotes from him about the rangers game. i love him. he was a warrior for us. he was a bright spot in dark times, but he’s not a sparkplug for us anymore. i (gulp!) wouldn’t even be devastated if he was traded in the offseason. pleks, kovalev, markov, komisarek, and hamrlik seem more important than him already. add price in the future. we never saw the best of him – was always seen in international play. not the same after my cousin checked him knee on knee and he went out at the time that he was the nhl scoring leader about a decade ago.

40. The Teacher says:

I don’t consider his line the first. He played much better than he has the last ten games. Maybe I need to watch it again or something, but he can’t be blamed if line-mates can’t finish.

Is it possible you’re asking too much from him?

He’s not the same player he was.

41. Yeats says:

BTW, Koivu and that right side post should have a confab. It ain’t workin!

42. Yeats says:

Consider your quote: “He played much better than he has the last ten games.” That speaks volumes about someone who is the Captain of the Montreal Canadiens, doesn’t it?

43. The Teacher says:

Well, I don’t hold grudges, so yes, he has played crappy, but if he picks it up, I won’t be talking about what he didn’t do before. He gave his all for many years. Is his body done?

44. Yeats says:

Did you and Moey rent out the Octagon? I’ll take a pair of tickets!

45. ebk says:

it was a little lop-sided

46. Yeats says:

I didn’t see it live. Was it at least entertaining?

47. The Teacher says:

I’m not gonna try arguing that, it has crossed my mind also.

48. Moey says:

Your secret is safe with me, but do consider coming back.

49. Yeats says:

Don’t feel bad. I’ve lost my $#!T in far more colorful fashion with other posters in the past. It happens. Doesn’t mean you belt the kids or kick the dog. Sometimes, it can actually be a healthy release.

50. Yeats says:

It does make me very, very sad though.

51. ebk says:

is that a reflection on him, though. Or just the sad state of affairs here in Habland for the last 15 years.

52. doug says:

i don’t feel bad. just don’t want to be misunderstood by the general group as a bully, etc. i had bitten my tongue on many prior occasions and tonight i couldn’t find my mute button.

53. MTL LOVE says:

Oh WoW! What a game by Pleky and Kovy :))

Keep tha wins rolling boys..I really hope they win on Thurs. it will be a tuff one!

P.S Who here is tired of hearing about the Leafs and their stinkin’ team? Ohhhhhhh gawd give it up already. Yes T.O is the centre of the universe lol they sux and u still hear about it. shessshhh

54. doug says:

I do prefer Price on the farm. I think you are correct, although I don’t remember the details as well as you do.

As for last year I thought Halak should have started the last game; Huet was just back from an injury and it was a Carbonneau’s call. You might recall I’m not his biggest fan, either, although he’s admittedly growing on me recently.

As far starting in the playoffs, I think you make a valid point. I’m thinking about getting there at this point, but have to agree that he is making me nervous right now and hasn’t a track record in that regard or in must-win games in general (more of a lack of data then any clarity with respect to losing. . .)

55. stephen says:

Speaking of tricks…

When was the last time a Canadiens’ player scored one? I don’t remember any this season. Last year? Just curious…

The only thing that comes to mind is Bulis’ four goal explosion against the Flyers a few years back.

56. P St. Pierre says:

Sitting back is not the answer. It’s funny how Carbonneau wants them to change their style when they are leading. They should simply continue to play the way that got them the lead in the first place. Doesn’t that make sense?

57. doug says:

where’s plek-andrew (nee abby-drew) this year? he’s being overtaken by moey for his undisputed championship in 2006-2007.

58. DYCSoccer17 says:

uggggghhhhhhh….cmon markov!@#!#!

59. Shawn S says:

Oooh, tough icing. A faceoff win is a must. Cmon pleks!

60. Keith says:

That was a bad, bad play!!

61. Sulemaan says:

I like Markov but can someone explain to me why Markov would ice the puck with less than a minute left when he had full control of the puck and no pressure? Just wondering…

62. wd40 says:

we miss begin I think.

63. doug says:

c’est vrai, mon ami.

64. JB_15 says:

Huge win. Huge poise. Glad that line was out there. Finally carbonneau doesnt make the wrong play.

65. Keith says:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!! RELIEF!!!!!!

66. wd40 says:

ok, nice.. but i wish he could have found a way to pass it to pleks.

67. linp says:

Kovy is our superstar

68. NLhabsfan says:

Whooo-hooooo

69. JB_15 says:

dude…in that situation…you just get it in and plekanec knows that.

70. Sulemaan says:

Great interception by Kovalev. You could see him looking for Plekanec to give him the hat-trick. Unselfish player. Love it. (Can’t believe I’m saying this about Kovalev given last year.)

71. doug says:

very proud of him this year. he had tough year last season but he proved his doubters wrong.

72. DYCSoccer17 says:

love the stat that the Habs are 10-1-2 in the games after a regulation loss.

73. doug says:

Good night ladies, gents, and moey.

74. NLhabsfan says:

Huet can look at himself for that one goal.But hey it’s win.

75. ebk says:

he’s human and everyone makes a mistake once in awhile

76. ebk says:

Ryder, last game of last season, versus the leafs

77. Forlando says:

Pleks line is pure Rock n’ Roll …those 3 guys are saving the Habs’ season!

78. wd40 says:

yep, totally agree.. too bad they couldn’t find a way to make it happen for Plekanec but, hey, 2 points in the bank. We need Samsonov to score another goal or 2 for Carolina, Washington to hang on, and it’s a good night all around.

79. Gooner says:

I would say Huet saved our bacon in the second period. If it wasn’t for the saves he made then we might have lost t his game. Huet! Huet!

80. Keith says:

It’s nice to see the team bounce back from such a lacklustre effort against the Rangers on saturday. I like the way we perform in these games after a bad effort, shows character and maturity.

81. ebk says:

team improves to 11-2-3 without the Breezer in the line-up. Still think it is a coincidence people?

82. showey47 says:

good news the habs won, the bad news carey price is getting smoked again last check it was 5-1

83. doug says:

i think it’s helpful to not dress your worst defenseman, my friend. call me old fashioned. . .

84. stephen says:

Ah yes, of course.

I must have repressed my memory of that entire game.

Thanks for the answer!

85. Moey says:

Pleasant dreams, I came within 30 seconds of having the score bang on, I’ll try to do better next time.

86. ebk says:

you sir are on a roll tonight

87. doug says:

i didn’t realize you were a clairvoyant. my condolences; it must be difficult to see your own future ;)

A little too close for comfort but it’s a four pointer. Better not sign any overpriced free agents, Pleks is going to want a lot of money in 2009.

The Original 24 Cups

89. doug says:

i have only one beef. or, rather, horse meat. other than that i’m just happy we’re 40% through the work week! my best to you! great game for our habs tonight.

90. Habsfan39 says:

make it 7… with price still in net

91. Moey says:

Not at all, I’m already there, looking down.

92. showey47 says:

ouch, what the hell is happening to carey? But you know what, when halak was first sent down after training camp he struggled bad also.

93. doug says:

careful, now. some people are brisebois apologists ;) do you want to be attacked for your ali g pic next?!

94. doug says:

i was aware that you looked down at all of us. i just wasn’t aware that you could see the future as well. learn something every day. . .

95. ebk says:

stop, you are killing me.

96. NLhabsfan says:

Hiet ALWAYS plays well in my eyes.I just wish he would stop handling the puck.

97. Yeats says:

But, the breezer creates so much excitement in our own end!

98. doug says:

i think that enough is enough. . . could be the wine i’ve had tonight. . . may have been the whine i’ve dealt with the last month. you’re a good person, ebk.

99. doug says:

that’s true, my friend! i always enjoy a “glass half full” type of guy.

100. ebk says:

come on now, Brisebois has a bad back, had surgery for it you know,can’t blame him for not playing physical. What do you expect for $1.4m.

101. Yeats says:

The Breezer is my model for pickup hockey: the goal is to create excitement at both ends of the rink!

The Breezer and I keep the fans on the edge of their seats!!!

102. The Teacher says:

If he can’t play, why is he still in the NHL?

103. Yeats says:

He has, dare I say, pictures!

104. ebk says:

I was just repeating something I read earlier, sounded just as stupid when I posted it as well.

105. Will Longlade says:

I agree. When the Sharks took the lead on the Leafs in the third period during Saturday night’s Buds-Shark game, they continued w/an aggressive forecheck (2-1-2). As a result, the majority of the play was confined to the Leaf’s defensive zone and they limited the Leaf’s scoring chances. It would be interesting to see comparative stats for one style of play versus the other when the Hab’s are protecting a lead, but I doubt that Carbo will ever change his coaching philosophy.

106. doug says:

20 years old. Shouldn’t have been kept in Montreal at the beginning of the season. Sent down. If this is the end of him he was overhyped (which i don’t think is the case). If he’s humiliated at his age (which I don’t think he is) he hasn’t much fortitude.

By all accounts he’s a good kid. I think he is less emotionally labile than we are – one of the reasons he has been and will continue to be excellent, resilient, and not silly about failing to stick with the big club before he’s 21.

107. doug says:

having said that, one of the funniest things i read all year was when mike boone, somewhere around the mid-year review, said that despite price’s recent poor NHL performance he was going to be a great player because: a) his dad was a minor league goaltender (or something to that effect) and, b) his mother is the current elected chief of the ulkatcho first nation.

108. doug says:

i just feel that huet has been kicked around more and performed at least as well. two years ago he was our mvp. last year he was an all-star then got hurt. this year he’s had to deal with everyone saying that “price is the future”, but until recently at least he was up among the top 10 in gaa and top 5 in save percentage. price has an impressive resume and i think and hope he’ll be a great nhl goaltender. thus far i’ve been underwhelmed by his nhl performance – he’s been below average with about a 2.90 gaa if memory serves and could use some time on the farm. we can make the playoffs and i’d rather have the tandem up here that we had last year and give him the work. i think winners have winning attitudes – i don’t think he’s as affected by it as you estimate him to be.

109. teamplayer says:

toews is looking to come back after the allstar game, the extra two days of break for him will do him better then this pointless high scoring game… yeh the eastern picks really suck

110. HabsProf says:

Upsetting at first glance, but I think you have to be a rookie to be invited to this game (I could be mistaken, so someone please correct me if I am wrong). If that is the case, then Andrei K. is out, since he is not considered a rookie this season (he is not Calder-eligible). Sergei has been impressive, but has only 14 games in the NHL. I grant his 8 points in 14 looks good, but I suspect they didn’t want to invite someone with so few games.

If he was still up with the big club, Carey Price would not have been invited, either. No rookie goalies are going – the kids will shoot against AllStar goalies.

111. MatttheHabsFan says:

I don’t necessarily think that any Canadiens rookies should have been there. It really doesn’t mean anything. But if the NHL is looking to have an exciting display at all-star weekend they are more likely to get that from S. Kost then Brandon Dubinsky or Milan Lucic, both of which already have a teammate representing their organization.

Does anyone know who actually picks the squads? Was it Paddock and Babcock?

112. Ian G Cobb says:

Mike Boone–That was a very nice article about both families. Respect, dedecation and hard working families grow winners every time !

113. Moey says:

LOL, I’d like to see Komi beat the tar out of Barney.

114. Jay in PA says:

I’m optimistic about this game for three reasons:

1. The Islanders always play us hard, and the team knows it. There’s no danger of a “This one will be easy” slip.

2. Higgy and the Komisaurus will want to show off for their cheering sections, much as every French-Canadian player does when playing the Habs in Montreal.

3. The team knows it stunk up the ice on Saturday, and I think they really do care about not putting in two bad efforts in a row.

(Note to self: Higgy and the Komisaurus would be a great name for a kids’ show. Higgy can hog the mike and the Komisaurus can slam the guests into the scenery. Brilliant!)

115. sidhu says:

Just watched the game – my thoughts: I caught the Versus feed and the cameraman was horrible. We should look into signing Trent Hunter (a big, strong RW who can play the PP and PK) as a replacement for Ryder (Hunter is a UFA and only makes around $1-2m). The Kostitsyn brothers can hit – what an open ice shot by Andrei on Vasicek. The bottom lines could use some adjustment, I’d think about pairing Lapierre with Lats and Ryder, and Smoke with Kosto and Dandy. Koivu was forgettable, I can’t remember the last time he’s actually lifted the puck when trying to score. Total game by Pleks and Kovy – great job to close the game, and to score our goals. Lats needs to bury those lay-ups.

116. Moey says:

You heard it here first….Habs 2-1.

Hey kRob – Speaking of showing up, here’s hoping that Lats and Serge K. show up tonight for the Habs. They’ve been invisible the past few games.

The Original 24 Cups

118. Girth says:

Daigneault????

Dynomite!!!!

119. The Teacher says:

Daigneault? didn’t he win a cup in 1993?

120. ebk says:

Frankie the Bull is small, he doesn’t lack toughness. Lots of things he can be hacked on for but not that.

121. JJR says:

the future is now (and will be for a long time)

122. Guy21 says:

I made a comment recently about Koivu and Higgins back together…voila (Carbo must read the posts !!)Smoke is not dead yet,give him lots of ice time and he is responsible.Georges plays hard every night and improves every night…GO JOSH GO

The morning Gazette stated it was a miscommunication between him and Komisarek. It’s still an issue. Huet plays great all night and then he let’s in a half-assed goal because of his puck handling skills. It’s not just giving up a goal, it’s more a case of giving life to the other team and subsequently throwing the Habs back into an unwarranted defensive mode. You’re certainly right Yeats, can’t go far in the playoffs unless this Achilles heal is fixed.

The Original 24 Cups

124. Yeats says:

To be fair, that one was indeed soft and appeared to be the result of poor communication with the d. He has to do much better than that if this team is going to make a serious run. There were other occassions this evening, with less adverse results, when it was apparent on the tube that he and the d were on different pages. Have they agreed upon which language to communicate in?

125. The Teacher says:

All I know is that dipietro sure knows how to handle the puck ;)

126. Yeats says:

I’d trade Huet for DiPietro straight up in a heartbeat, as I would for Ryan Miller. If it doesn’t hit Huet, he ain’t gonna stop it. End of story.

127. ebk says:

anybody who wouldn’t is stupid. Give me a tougher choice

by my thinking he would not be an upgrade on the following teams
    New Jersey,NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Buffalo, Vancouver, Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim and Dallas

A case could be made for Florida, Carolina and Detroit

Other than that I think he is clearly better than what the non-mention teams bring to the table

Ottawa is clearly the best team in the east but I think their goaltending makes the somewhat vulnerable

128. doug says:

i like huet although he’s not playing the best right now. i wouldn’t call a trade of huet for dipietro (or miller) as controversial, though. both are more widely known than our man from france.

129. showey47 says:

terrible penalty for sergei to take

130. showey47 says:

pleky again, damn sweet

131. JB_15 says:

I smell a hat trick!!!!

132. Keith says:

Plecs is on a mission tonight :-)

133. teamplayer says:

i thought markov was, but offside calling is almost comparable to travelling in the nba

134. showey47 says:

i just replayed the goal on the pvr at 1/15 speed, he wasn’t offside.

135. P St. Pierre says:

Pleks has been so awesome this year. He’s such a good guy that its great to see him playing so well. And I agree with everyone below…how is Andrei Kostitsyn not on the young guns roster? This guy has been unreal.

136. N.B.habs fan says:

sluman….how do i get the game on line?

137. teamplayer says:

go to that link, you can view it on windows media player… pretty good pic too compared to usually its only on sopcast
    p.s. its versus though

138. teamplayer says:

nice then, im watching online on versus and only got to see it live

139. JB_15 says:

Oh boy…Sergei kostitsyn just got bailed out big time by Huet who is having a fantastic game.

HU-ET HU-ET HU-ET!

140. the_vipah says:

Wow Huet is playing amazing tonight. I wonder if there enough rocks for all the haters to hide under tonight.

As I write this the good gets lucky with a post.

141. teamplayer says:

wow the nhl is really trying to open up the market,,, on versus, they had japanese play by play for about a minute

142. sadave says:

If only we here in San Antonio could get Versus! Maybe I should move to Japan . . .

143. NLhabsfan says:

Great saves tonight.

144. showey47 says:

terrible turnover and huet is making us nay sayers eat some crow by bailing the boys out

145. JB_15 says:

wow. again.

HU-ET HU-ET HU-ET!!!

146. showey47 says:

shoot the damn puck higgy

147. JB_15 says:

Seems like something is bothering him. Not his usual dangerous self the last few games.

148. P St. Pierre says:

Agreed. I thought Halak should have started this evening.

149. JB_15 says:

Both of the kostitsyns need to pick up the quality of their play.

150. showey47 says:

sweet pass by kovy, ak46 should of buried that one

151. P St. Pierre says:

Huet is awesome, I just wish he was consistently healthy and didn’t wear down so much.

152. Sehs says:

Might add that you wish he had a bit better stick handling ability. I get scared every time he goes out to play the puck.

153. P St. Pierre says:

Atlanta, who the Canadiens play Thursday, is beating Detroit 3-0.

154. Uwey says:

Does anyone else get the feeling that one of these games real soon, that A. Kostitsyn is going to have a huge multiple goal game???

155. P St. Pierre says:

Agreed.

No defensive shell Carbo. Full speed ahead to make it 3-0.

The Original 24 Cups

157. Uwey says:

Plus it seems to me, that Huet needs to at least think that he has competition between the pipes to bring his “A” game out.

I believe Halak holding the fort making 13 saves & allowing 0 goals in the third period at MSG Saturday night, may have give Huet that incentive again.

Hey Mike – Every time you say something good about Gorges he screws up seconds later. Let it be, you’re hexing him! By the way, the Lousy Leafs are facing another backup goalie tonight (as if anyone cares).

The Original 24 Cups

159. JB_15 says:

Side note:
    American Idol is single-handedly retarding the evolution of mankind.

160. linp says:

Surprise they didn’t try to shoot high on Huet.

161. yathehabsrule says:

CJAD reports x-rays negative for Brisebois

162. Moey says:

I was just watching the replays of Huet’s saves, I’ve figured something out, he sucks at breakaways & shootouts, he does really well with shots that are close to him. He’s nearsighted. A good pair of glasses will do the trick.

163. yathehabsrule says:

YA THINK!

164. cfposi says:

Man…am I ever happy I bought a Pleks jersey last time I was in Montreal!! LOVE that guy! People actually stop me in the streets of Prague to talk about him when I wear that jersey!

165. Keith says:

Hey that guy just got a “Hab Sandwich” LOL!

166. cfposi says:

Ya….I’d say…

167. JB_15 says:

wow. 4-0 Atlanta over Detroit.

168. yathehabsrule says:

and his poor puck handling skills and giving up rebounds can be attoned to ????

169. JB_15 says:

Latendresse. HOW.

And all they say on RDS is “une belle chance”

170. Moey says:

I guess you’re not very familiar with the word “humor”.

171. DYCSoccer17 says:

stay in your net Huet!!!!!!!

172. yathehabsrule says:

no just supllementing your comments..

173. NLhabsfan says:

Jeez what was all that about?

174. DYCSoccer17 says:

think of how good Huet’s GAA would be if he stayed in his effing net?

seriously, at least 30 goals this year will be result of his inability and eagerness to handle the freaking puck.

175. Forlando says:

Don’t worry guys that’s Huet soft goal of the night….sigh

176. P St. Pierre says:

That is very frustrating.

177. Moey says:

A nervous twitch.

178. doug says:

you’re not familiar with the word “curmudgeon”. try fluoxetine, moey.

179. Moey says:

I’m very familiar with that word, I used it on another poster. What’s your beef Doug?

180. doug says:

fairly obvious, moey.

can be summarized with one letter. it’s a vowel. it’s not “i”. or “a”, “e”, or “o”.

181. doug says:

time to call a hitman

182. DYCSoccer17 says:

Now is when Carbo needs to call a time out.

183. Keith says:

For God’s sakes please Habs don’t blow this game!

184. stephen says:

Huet handles the puck just fine. It’s his total lack of poise and awareness with the puck that gets him in trouble!! Ugh.

185. Sulemaan says:

Thanks for this teamplayer.

186. Forlando says:

How much money could Huet ask for without the “one soft goal a night” habit….one can only wonder…

187. blnieder says:

skate, skate, skate don’t back in forecheck

188. Sulemaan says:

Why play defensively when you can forecheck? We don’t have the players for a defensive shutdown type of game…sigh…

189. wd40 says:

pleks needs a hat trick!

190. Keith says:

I was hoping for the hat trick :-)

191. doug says:

I love Kovalev, Pleks, Streit, and Komisarek. All world Boy has Kovalev come back this year. Good person – glad he’s doing so well again. He’s our MVP.

Lousy Leafs win but Samsonov gets 3 points playing with Cole and Brind’Amour. It was his first goal in 30 games in which he played for three different teams. Go figure.

The Original 24 Cups

193. Yeats says:

They still came close to blowing that game 5-4 final!

194. ebk says:

Confidence is a strange animal, especially for guys who have had it their whole career. He’s just to talented to be as bad as he has been for the last year+.

195. NLhabsfan says:

Price will come around…you have to remember he has lost a lot of good players this season through promotions to the Habs.

196. The Teacher says:

Well I saw the last two periods and I have these comments

1. Koivu showed up, which is important if our team has playoff aspirations
    2. Kovy line was exciting and played well
    3. AKOST can hit like a tank, Kovy felt it also!
    4. Huet saved our butts in a 2 min span during the 2nd period.
    5. Gorges sacrificed his body every shift.
    6. Smokes played a lot better than what he has shown us this year.
    7. 2 points, which is most important.
    8. That third period was tense, but they made it
    9. Quite possibly S.Kost’s finest game. Played awesome defensively.
    10. championship teams sacrifice the body. 25 blocked shots..impressive.

197. Yeats says:

Koivu dressed. Showed up? I’m not so sure.

198. Bean says:

Yeah, I’m with Yeats. I didn’t get an impression from Koivu this game. A couple of passing plays, but then he’d fade away again.
    The rest of your points, sure, but I take issue with #1.

199. grrrreg says:

Hi there!
    I’m hoping for a good performance from Higgins and Komi tonight. Let’s hope they can energize the rest of the team.

200. MikeL says:

I’m not sure if any of you have noticed yet, but the Kostitsyn boys got snubbed from the Youngstars game. Instead of them, the league decided big and slow Lucic will bring the fans out of their seats. They also added grinding 4th liner Brandon Dubinsky and Penguin Tyler Kennedy, who plays along side Evgeni Malkin and only has 12 points in 30 games. The East does have one player worthy, Nick Backstrom. I am predicting The west will dominate this game to the point of embarressment.

201. MatttheHabsFan says:

Out of 8 players, the Pens and Rangers somehow manage to get 2 each onto the team. Toews will likely be back from injury by that time and yet he’s not there. Tom Gilbert is probably the best rookie defenseman in the league and he’s not there. You really have to wonder who picks these teams…

202. nightmare_49 says:

Against the Islanders last time they used the touch pass to success and almost perfection and was one of the more impressive victory of the season. The Islanders like to force the play so we have to be quick and alert tonight and their “D” men are a little banged up so we must control the rubber and crowd the net. DiPietro a good goalie but tends to give up multiple goals after he sulks about the first one. Go Habs Go.

203. krob1000 says:

The Isles don’t have much offense and getting to Dipietro early would go a long way in trying to take these two points. They are really a one line team (and that line isn’t that good). It all comes down to which Rick Dipietro shows up on any given night. Most of the time he solid and keeps them hanging around in games longer than they should be (with a little help from Ted Nolan’s constant trapping style). Every now and then though Dipietro gets angry at himself after letting in an iffy goal (I have seen him lose it over good goals) and he doesn’t recover again until he makes a highlight reel save or two.

204. Keith says:

I heard that the laffs beat the flu-riddled Canes tonight. I hope every Cane player coughed and hacked in every laff players’ face all night long!

205. Sehs says:

Samsonov had 1g 2a… good for him I guess.

206. The Teacher says:

Higgins has 7 goals in 8 games or something against the Isles. He usually brings it in Long Island.

Komi hasn’t had abnormally strong games there, if I’m not mistaken.

207. Bean says:

Heh. Good ol’ J.J.

Blast from the past!

208. The Teacher says:

That’s what I thought as well.

209. Ian G Cobb says:

We never make it easy on ourselves do we, we are a good team but o my have we got a long way to go when it comes to closing out a game. When the other team has a full court press on we have a hard time in our own end. We ice the puck instead of just dumping it high and out, we are not good enough on faceoffs, and HUET, as much as i like him he is a disaster when he handles the puck. Our D has to put guys like Park on his ass, clean and before he puts it in our net, we play way to soft in front of our net.

Were playing good hockey and improving each week. 2 more points in the bank.

210. Sehs says:

I’m still waiting for a game day when the front page won’t have the numbers .000 for the Habs when they’re trailing after 1 or 2 periods.

211. nn1 says:

Remember what made the Canadiens successful on the road in November and December while they were stinking it up at home. They stuck to the game plan and didn’t start playing panicky hockey if they got scored on, whereas at home they would start with a flurry of energy, but then get just completely deflated when beat in their own end and never recover mentally. No doubt, their performance on Saturday was dismal wire-to-wire, but the key tonight will be to maintain focus and keep doing the little things for at least 50 minutes. 60 would be nice, but has anyone seen that once this year?
    Go habs go.

212. Ian G Cobb says:

I don,t think they have quite what it takes yet, to come from behind. They have a hard enough time just hanging on to a lead right now. This time next year is when they should have what it takes, or I’ll have to go in the room and give them a little Ryan Walter !!

213. Sehs says:

FYI, it turns out that Brisebois finished last game even, not -4 as was reported from the NY crew…