No Crosby

The Kid is not alright.

Pat Hickey reports that Sidney Crosby did not practice today and will not travel to Montreal for tomorrow night’s game at the Bell Centre.

1. The Teacher says:

Wow, what the heck?

The Philadelphia Flyers have made their second trade in as many days, sending defenceman Jim Vandermeer to the Calgary Flames for a 2009 third round pick.

A 3rd pick!!!!???!!!!???

Ryder can get us two firsts then!!!

2. Ed says:

Even without Crosby, this is going to be a tough game for the Habs. The Penguins have been 6-3-1 in their last 10 games, while the Habs are 6-4-0. The Habs are on a 4 game win streak, while the Penguins are on a 2 game win streak. Malkin is hot with 21 points in his last 9 games; Gonchar has 13 in 13; and Conklin has a GAA of 1.50 and a save percent of .955 in his last 2 games.

For the Canadiens, Kovalev and Markov have 5 points in their last 2 games; Kostitsyn has 4 in his last 2 games, while for some reason Plekanec has only 1 point in his last 4 games. However, I think he has still been playing well.

Let’s beat them as payback for the last time when they beat us.

3. Robert L says:

Since the Canadiens are doing so fabulously well lately, eyeing down both an early playoff confirmation and a legitimate shot at first place, there is an abundance of news, stories and opinions to read. The recent spike in attention paid to the team has made it difficult for even an avid reader of everything like myself to keep up on all the happenings going about. I’m thinking that this will only increase as the days to the trade deadline wind down and the playoffs approach.

With that notion in mind, I thought that I would attempt to round up the newest of news and takes on the Canadiens in one tidy little place, provide a quick glance at what’s being said and written from sources ranging from media outlerts to my favorite blogs, and the name the pieces “Eating The Habs For Breakfast”.

Each day I’ll be scanning my usual reading places for the latest links to the stuff I believe readers would be interested in. I’ll post links to places such as the Gazette, Le Journal De Montreal, La Presse, RDS, TSN, NHL.com, and the national Canadian media outlets such as the Sun and Globe chains. In addition, pieces from my favorite blogs – Habs Inside Out, Habs World, Four Habs Fans, Lions In Winter, Theory Of Ice, The H Does Not Stand For Habs, All Habs, Hockey’s Greatest Legends, Sisu Hockey, and others – will also be featured. The pieces will be no more than a day or two old, and should be everything relevant that readers could want to catch in both official languages.

In order to properly get caught up, here is the first official edition of “Eating The Habs For Breakfast”…..call it the “evening edition!”

Eating The Habs For Breakfast – 2008-2-20

4. WindsorHab-10 says:

Crosby or not, the Pens shut us out last time on HNIC. It’s payback time and it starts with the drop of the puck.

5. WindsorHab-10 says:

May be the new line did. Most effective line last night. (Ryder, Streit & Lapierre)

6. rogus says:

I also like Ryder. It is unfortunate how he has played up till now…however it wouldn’t be Montreal if there wasn’t at least one distraction. Glad to see him have a good night, hope that helps us get Hossa.

7. Rogie30 says:

Wondered if the coming trade deadline has anything to do with Ryders invigorated play. Heard somewhere that often happens.

8. Habifax says:

Makes no sense to sit Ryder from any angle. If you are going to trade him you need to play him. If you are going to keep him you need to play him because he is hot. I agree it was his best game by miles last night. He looked confident and had lots of jump. Things he did worked unlike his other games where he has struggled. He looked like he had all the pressure off and his game flowed. Hopefully he can figure out why he played so well and keep it going. I like the guy regardless if he gets traded or not. I will cheer for him even if he is traded. He has been through alot this year and I am happy to see him finally have some success. Best of luck in the future Micheal no matter what happens over the next few days.

9. habsguy says:

don’t ya just love it when someone writes “I read somewhere”…….LOLOLOLOLOLOL

10. Propwash says:

Even if Crosby isnt playing, the Habs cant get complacent. Pittsburgh is still a dangerous team.

11. Mattee. says:

hmmm tough question. He scored twice, got the first star and played his best game of the season. soo… that equals a pressbox visit.

12. downeast hab says:

Is Ryder playing, or sitting. Never can tell with coaches.

13. mjames says:

This is rather disturbing . I read where some Swiss based hockey sheet is stating that Gainey has offered Higgins, Streit and a first rounder for Houssa. If this should ever transpire this would be the beginning of the end for our short lived dynasty.

Gainey knows that rentals don’t work!!

mjames

14. Jay in PA says:

He’s skating and taking some contact, but there’s no way he’ll be back anytime soon. He’s still at least a week away.

15. The Teacher says:

OLEEEE
    OLEEEEEEEEE

HAHAA Watching that CTV report made me all giddy again. and it’s not Fey Mike!!

16. The Teacher says:

Ahahaha, CTV and Lloyd admitting the Leafs suck.

17. Ed says:

I echo both of your sentiments.

18. The Teacher says:

Awesome :)

The heavens are aligning for us !

19. The Teacher says:

Can only be 80 pixels wide.

Ed & Teach – I am also watching the lunar eclipse on one of the most clearest nights of the year. The heavens are full of stars and the moon is a reddish-orange colour. It’s so great to sit back and pause and marvel at one of the intangibles that life has to offer. What a wonderful world.

Steve Kerley
    The Original 24 Cups

21. Ed says:

Teacher, you reminded us today of the lunar eclipse. It’s a beautiful clear night here in St. John’s (very unusual), and the eclipse has begun. It’s supposed to be in full effect in 1/2 hour, or 11:00 pm local time. We have a great view of it. It reminds me of the one I saw in Mississauga a few years ago.

22. 1010 says:

Good read Robert L… but one has to be a little concerned about the idea that the Habs aren’t fussy about what they get in return for Ryder. The last time the Habs didn’t care about what they got in return was when? Oh yeah, the Ribeiro deal. I didn’t blame Gainey for moving him at the time but that did blow up in their faces. Even given Ryder’s contract situation, if it’s for certain he’s a goner, I hope something of value comes back our way. This guy could go elsewhere and pop forty goals next year.

GO HABS.

23. RudeMood19 says:

i cant change my displace picture for some reason, any ideas why?

24. nick says:

Dang, i was hoping the Kid would be back… Hopefully mix up some of the mojo Malkin’s got the team on or something ;)

25. Jonnyboy says:

I’m hoping for a really good game between the two. I am home for reading week and my dad has Centre Ice. So far it has been worth my while. :)

Smart move. The team is doing great and why take the chance of rushing him back. It’s a tricky injury as it is – no need to aggravate it. Malkin is a monster. I wonder what it will take to sign him once his contract is up next year? Do you think he happens to know Ovechkin’s mother!

The Original 24 Cups

27. Matthew says:

Is that you Pierre McGuire?

28. sidhu says:

Too bad, I wanted to see Max get in his face and a Crosby giveaway that leads to a Habs goal.

29. Macaskill says:

I suppose the Gino Show continues.

30. Lee_D says:

That’s great! Now Maxim can piss of Malkin! PS: He’s the league leader in points now! whoooooooa.

31. cautiousoptimist says:

Last night’s performance proves that there’s no team and no player we can’t beat. Not even Gomez, Drury, Shanahan, Jagr, Lundqvist et al could beat us – bring on Heatley, Spezza and Alfredsson!

32. The Teacher says:

Not one single player on the Rangers compares to either Heatley, Alfredsson, or Spezza at this point.

33. Bean says:

Hahaha the buzz hasn’t worn off for you either, eh? I’m pretty sure my first thought upon waking was “WOOOO HABS!”
    If this keeps up you might have to change your username!

34. Mattee. says:

boo-urns…

35. wd40 says:

Mattee… your icon is my 2nd favorite pic from last night (Kovy on his back would be #1).

36. cautiousoptimist says:

I’ve always been an optimist, but to be honest, I’ve never been all that cautious. : )

Matthew – you’re right – I think monster is his favourite word! I’d take him over a lot of the other announcers though. He just needs to slow down a little bit with his delivery.

The Original 24 Cups

38. JasonM says:

I’m a big fan of Pierre MONSTER Maguire. I wish he posted on this site.

39. usversusthem says:

Crap… have we ever beaten a Crosby-less Pittsburgh team before? Methinks not. Of course, we’ve never had a post-5-goal-comeback game before, so who knows… tomorrow night could be a game where you can throw everything you thought you knew about the Habs out the window. My prediction? Eight-zip!

40. Habhopeful says:

Yes we have my dear freind

“Like, you can’t get a girl pregnant when she’s on top man, I mean, its gravity…Just can’t happen.”

-Jason Segel

41. Habhopeful says:

or wait i misunderstood…i dont think so actually

-Jason Segel

42. cautiousoptimist says:

If we play like we played in the 2nd and 3rd periods last night, there’s no doubt in my mind that we can beat the Sens.

No Crosby?

No problem.

"You have to give them credit, they played a good road hockey  game," said birthday boy Mike Komisarek after Pittsburgh hung a 2-0 shutout on the Canadiens.

Without their captain, the  Penguins played a "simpler game" Komisarek added.

"They were solid in the defensive zone, they protected the slot and their goalie played well. We had a tough time getting in front of him and creating havoc."

Dany Sabourin made 31 saves for the shutout. Komisarek felt the game might have turned if the Canadiens had "one play, one spark, one shift to get us over the edge."

The win moved the Crosby-less Penguins into first place in the Atlantic Division for the first time this season.

"If you have the second most points in the Eastern Conference, you have to be a good team," said Saku Koivu. "Sometimes it happens when a team loses a key player. Everyone wants to show they’re more than aa one-man team."

Pittsburgh  was a three-man team: Sabourin, Evgeni Malkin and Georges Laraque, who set up Jeff Taffe for what proved to be the winning goal.

1. likehoy says:

someone should bobby clarke crosby’s ankle

2. likehoy says:

nah still don’t think it’s fair. I already discussed this with a friend and he figures that players who want to get around this deadline should sign contracts and just be placed on the IR…or to sign a contract and then let the team suspend you so you can just sit and think (like niedermeyer did at the start of the season). There are a lot of ridiculous situations to get around the salary cap. Putting a deadline would just make GMs get more creative and become a circus. If anything the organization (aforementioned in my previous post) should be in charge of their players, not the league. Give the players the benefit of the doubt, mistreating them is the start of problems. I doubt the NHLPA would even go for that. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be given a deadline on making a career decision.

3. sidhu says:

If my memory serves me correctly (I admittedly had a lot of Carbo brownies at the beginning of the year), Sid gave the puck away in the third period leading to a Habs GWG. I’d love to have heard what Max said to Sid the Bib after that….

4. likehoy says:

i’ve been pulling for the habs to pick up lombardi since last season.

it’s doubtful that it will happen. Lombardi has the wheels, but he doesn’t have much of an offensive upside to be honest, but can be extremely dangerous in an aggressive penalty killing role. I wouldn’t mind the kid, but if he’s not good at face-offs, forget about it.

5. Mattee. says:

Steiner, I couldn’t agree with you more. My favourite games last year were watching Lapierre terrorize the baby all night. I got such satisfaction.

6. howtathor says:

Sorry to hear that…I think of him mostly for CFL but he did a lot of other sports too.

7. Mattee. says:

Aww, Cindy is out tonight… i’ll send her flowers.

8. howtathor says:

I agree with you. A scoring center like Lombardi would be just the ticket. I think Calgary is trying to do a salary dump with Tanguay and they have to sign Huselius and Phaneuf to long-term deals. We too have to sign Higgy, Komi and Pleks before they become RFA.

9. Steiner says:

The only reason I’m a little upset that Sid went and got himself injured is because I’m going to miss watching Lapierre yap in his ear all night.

10. sidhu says:

Spector’s is reporting that the Habs have “more than a passing interest” in Alex Tanguay. I generally enjoy the speculation regarding the Habs’ potential moves, but here, I don’t think the acquisition of Tanguay makes sense for us principally because we already have three scoring LWs: Lats, Higgins, and AK46. I don’t think we would move any of these players to other positions and I hope we wouldn’t ship any of them in exchange for Tanguay. Plus, I don’t think Tanguay plays on his off-wing. So as much as we want a scoring forward, as a practical matter I don’t see it happening.

Then the question becomes why we are scouting Calgary. My hope is that we are looking into Matt Lombardi, who I think would fit in very well with Higgins. Obtaining Lombardi would be consistent with Mr Gainey’s statement that we are in a “youth movement.” We could accommodate Lombardi by moving Smoke to the right side (or placing him in the press box).

Anyway, I just thought I’d put this out there since we need something to talk about before the puck drops tonight! Go Habs Go!

11. Habs-Kat says:

On the bright side, we can focus more of our attention to Malkin who’s been hot lately.

12. sidhu says:

Too bad, so sad, Sid the Bib.

MikeL, you have the icon of the day!

13. The Teacher says:

WINNIPEG – Don Wittman, whose smooth baritone voice called some of Canada’s most signifiant sports, has died of cancer. He was 71.

RIP Don.

14. Chorske says:

Pittsburgh is a decent team without Crosby, what with Malkin and Gonchar. Unlike Washington, they do have some scoring depth beyond their top guy. But the Habs are unvelievably, miraculously healthy (knocking on f*ing wood here), the top line is on fire and we’re on a roll as a team. I think we’re shaking off the home game doldrums. All in all, I’m pretty confident of success tonight.

Of course, that’s easy for me to say. My job tonight is to watch the game, drink a few beers and sit on my arse.

15. The Teacher says:

I disagree with you Likehoy.

It’s a way to get around the salary cap. That must be curtailed or else it is not even anymore, so what’s the point of the cap then?

I don’t think you understand what perspective I’m coming from. I think Burke is laughing, not moaning about Selanne. If he comes back he helps them, if he doesn’t, he doesn’t help anyone else.

for an injury, sure..but not to retire and then come back to get out of salary cap hit.

You wanna take a year off, fine, but make sure it’s a year. enough of this Roger Clemens crapola copycatting. The NHL isn’t as big a joke as Baseball is. At least not right now.

16. likehoy says:

i don’t agree at all with the deadline.

Brian Burke shouldn’t even bother waiting because Selanne is a UFA…and he built his team as if neither selanne or niedermeyer would return, so he has nothing to bitch about, although considering that his team did suck until niedermeyer came back, he might want selanne back too, but it’s out of his hands.

The deadline is ridiculous, a player should be entitled to all the time he wants to recuperate, retire, or take a year off. It isn’t as if ANYONE cares about Jason Allison at the moment. Even Cujo taking time off was low-key. Only because people actually want Selanne on their team that they make it a big deal. The organization is to blame for this situation. They themselves should have set a deadline and if it’s not met, then too bad wait till next year. Who says selanne can’t retire this year and just come back next year anyways? Only Brian Burke and the Ducks are moaning. I don’t hear much about other teams moaning about Forsberg taking his time, they are actually excited to find out IF he’s going to come back.

Though the weight on both stories are a little different, forsberg definitely wants to be back and selanne is still unsure, they are both on the brink of retirement, would you force forsberg into a deadline despite really wanting to come back cause selanne is being a little bitch?

17. Moey says:

Right, for one season only, and that wasn’t for his team, it was for his wallet. He concentrated on getting as many points as possible to drive up his UFA value, in his own words. Breezer came back because he loves the team, despite the fans who don’t love him back.

18. wd40 says:

I agree. i’ve been following that story (and Forsberg – though that story is different) on and off and I have to say that it’s a little bizarre to think these guys could still lace ‘em up this season, and if luck would have it, even get their names engraved on a Stanley Cup :)

19. wd40 says:

With 56 points, we’re in 4th place in the East behind the Sens (64), Devils (55), and the ‘Canes (50) in the relatively weak South East. Obviously it gives some teams (markets) an opportunity they otherwise woulnd’t have come playoff time, but personally, i’m not sure I like this rule.

I have a bad memory, does anyone remember when they stopped doing a straight top-8 ranking in the conference?

20. The Teacher says:

Interesting infor.

RW Jaromir Jagr. It appears unlikely that the option year of Jagr’s deal will be triggered because he’s well back of the pace to reach the required benchmarks, which means he will be an unrestricted free agent at season’s end.

21. The Teacher says:

Dreger (I thought it was McKenzie) on TSN has a good idea, I’m all for it.

The “will he or won’t he” game we’re all playing waiting for Teemu Selanne to determine his future is entertaining because Selanne has proven to be both a quality and impactful player.

However, I’m sure Brian Burke and the Anaheim Ducks are growing tired of the uncertainty.

What might be needed is another deadline. An annual cut-off date on the calendar whereby players have to declare their playing intentions.

22. nick says:

That really sucks for Sidney. I feel bad for the kid, hope he pulls through alright…. Tomorrow. Today, i want the Habs to school the Pens in hockey… and if Crosby isn’t there, it’s one less thing to worry about.

23. J.T. says:

AND he compensated for his defensive crappiness with 26 goals. That helped.

24. Ed says:

Mike Boone has to take credit for that rumour.

25. Habs-Kat says:

Umm… Conklin’s not starting. Where did that rumour start?

26. The Teacher says:

Incredibly, I didn’t expect anything of that sort.

27. sidhu says:

Class act by the Habs organization paying respect to Mr Wittman

28. Will Longlade says:

Yes, they have the cap room to make the deal and a deal like that could pay short-run dividends. However, what I was referring to is how the deal would fit into the team’s long-term picture. If the Habs sign someone like Tanguay, how long do you think it will be until they are in exactly the same position as Calgary? In theory, I know that the cap is supposed to increase every year, but there wouldn’t be much wiggle room even if it did. IMHO, getting Tanguay would not be a good long-term decision for the team. That’s my two cents.

29. Habs-Kat says:

I think the Art Ross is going to be shared this season.

30. The Teacher says:

“If you’re Canadian, you have to love a Saturday night in Georgia” (Don Wittman), I remember him saying that, and laughing about it at the time.

31. sidhu says:

RIP Mr Wittman – I’ll always remember him calling the west coast games, the second half of the doubleheaders usually after the Habs played.

32. Chuck says:

It was tremendously moving, to be sure.

33. The Teacher says:

Anyone who is listening to Herb Carnegie’s story on CBC should take a lesson from it.

34. The Teacher says:

Which coincidentally is when a certain francophone superstar is available as an UFA ;)

funny eh?

Habsprof – and we could cover Tanguay’s contract for next year when you factor in Smolinski’s $2mil (plus Ryder’s $3mil). After that, see what happens. We can always dump him at the end of 2009 if he doesn’t work out.

The Original 24 Cups

36. The Teacher says:

Hmm, wouldn’t be surprised to see teams offer him anywhere from 5-7 million. maybe he’ll go somewhere he can win? Detroit anyone?

37. Moey says:

All of your points are valid ones, no argument there, I just think people don’t cut him much slack. In all honesty, I don’t think he’s any worse that Shelly was defensivly, but the difference is fans liked him.

38. The Teacher says:

I’m already on record as saying the shoot-out sucks and the loser point should be abolished. I also think that there is nothing wrong with a tie. It’s a good way to reward two teams for a tough, hard fought game where neither could get that one play to shift the game.

might also the tie not encourage teams who thought they could have won to put forth a greater effort the next time to ENSURE the two points?

39. Habs-Kat says:

You figured me out ;)

40. MikeMcLaren says:

An utterly shameless attempt to show the world how good you are at Guitar Hero, Habs-Kat!

Some of us in our ancient 30’s struggle on medium…

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

41. HabsProf says:

According to NHL Numbers, the Habs have about 4.3MM in cap space. Tanguay has a cap hit of 5.25MM while Ryder has a cap hit of 2.95MM. A straight-up trade is quite possible, consuming 2.3MM more in cap space, still leaving another 2MM wiggle room.

42. MikeMcLaren says:

A nice tribute by Scott Oake here:

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

43. Habs-Kat says:

Here’s my theory as to why Carey Price is stinking it up in Hamilton. The speed and skill level of the AHL is considerably lower than the NHL’s. Maybe in the transition, Price can’t synchronize his timing with the slower speeds. Its like when I play Guitar Hero, I play reasonably well on Expert, but when I downgrade to Slow, I fail really badly because its too slow for me. Or maybe I’m just making excuses ;)

44. HabsProf says:

My apologies if someone else has pointed this out already, but I notice some other familiar names on the all-value list: Ron Hainsey, Mike Ribiero, and Francois Beauchemain.

I love and admire Bob Gainey, but during his tenure we have given away an awful lot of talent for near zero return.

45. MikeMcLaren says:

That really is a shame. He was a great and versatile broadcaster. No matter what sport he was calling a casual observer would assume it was his primary sport. He called games efortlessly and without some of the bias we hear from others.

He will be missed.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

46. showey47 says:

Quite possibly the greatest post i’ve ever read on this site.

47. J.T. says:

Well, with the Breezer, you don’t have to wait too long for him to screw up in some way. (Sorry, couldn’t resist batting that straight line outta here.) Look, I don’t have scorn for the guy, deep down or otherwise…I think he’s probably a decent guy and a great teammate. But my argument, backed up by watching every game this year, is that he is no longer one of the top six defencemen on the Montreal Canadiens. I think he’s a very handy player to have around as a guy who offers experience and as a capable injury reserve. He should be used sparingly to keep himself in game shape. But this is a team with a competition for every roster spot which will be even tighter when O’Byrne is back.

If you can honestly say that Brisebois is a better defenceman or can offer more than Komisarek, Markov, Hamrlik, Streit, Gorges, Bouillon or even O’Byrne, then fine, you can argue he should be in the lineup. But if you can’t honestly say that he’s better than the others, you’re in effect arguing that Carbonneau should ice a lineup featuring a player who’s worse than one in the pressbox. And unless you’re the 1977 Canadiens, you don’t win many games by playing less than your best.

I respect every player who wears the CH, because they’re my team and I want the best for them and from them. I just wish Breezer would realize complaining about not playing isn’t showing his competitive side…it’s disrupting the rest of the team. There’s a time to stand aside, understand you’re playing a new role and support the coach’s decision. For Breezer, that time is now.

48. Chuck says:

Or, to play Devil’s Advocate, perhaps Carbo was more comfortable with Brisebois on the ice against Boston’s best forecheckers.

Regardless, we won that game 5-2 so it’s hard to complain. :)

49. Will Longlade says:

I agree, I’d take Lombardi over Tanguay’s $5.0 mil contract in a New York minute. The fit is great. He’s from Montreal and he’s a speedster. This trade would make much more sense and it wouldn’t handcuff the team financially later.

50. sidhu says:

Thanks for the clarification guys!

51. Will Longlade says:

Excellent observation.

52. sidhu says:

I agree entirely, and would only add that Breezer’s attitude is especially troublesome given the young nature of the team – the last thing the kiddie corps should be around is a disgruntled vet. They need to be mentored, not given a lesson in how to complain and disrespect the coaches.

53. Will Longlade says:

There’s no excuse for whining in earshot of the media (assuming the rumour is true), regardless of whether it’s his competitive side coming out or not. Why doesn’t he demonstrate his competitiveness during actual games?

Something I noticed during the Habs-Bruins game a couple of weeks ago is that opposing coaches are putting their best forecheckers and scorers on the ice whenever Breezer is out there. If you watch the tape of that game, you’ll notice that the Hab’s were hemmed in their D-zone about 90% of the time Breezer was on the ice. The coaches watch the tape. I’m sure they know all about this.

54. Moey says:

Good grief J.T, you really have nothing but scorn for the Breezer. Even when you try to say something positive about him, deep down you’re just waiting for him to screw up in some way.

Poor old Breezer, he won’t have any peace until he is off the team.

55. Ian G Cobb says:

JT– Any player that does not say he is unhappy not playing is not one i would keep around. But he is a pro.and he will deal with it. Who said he was complaining about it? Or was it gossip mabe?

56. Will Longlade says:

Although I haven’t crunched the actual numbers, I would be surprised to learn that the Habs could add another player with a fat $5 mil contract and still be able to accomplish resigning their core players over the next couple of years. Besides, I have always liked Ryder as a player and when he’s on his game, as he was in Atlanta the other night, he’s as much of a scoring threat as Tanguay and plays with more of an edge. If the Hab’s were looking to trade a bunch of players for someone, I would prefer they go out and get Dustin Brown.

57. Chuck says:

The other way to look at it is that his competitive side is coming out. He obviously feels that he’s still got something to offer this club, and is simply frustrated about not being allowed to do what he loves to do the most: play hockey.

It must be a tough situation to be in, regardless of what Gainey said was expected of him when he signed.

58. wd40 says:

If my calculations are right, the Oilers have only 9 regulation wins in 49 games (lowest in the league); and they’ve won just over 70% of their OT games with 12 OT wins (11 of which have happened in the SO).

We’re in 19th spot with 18 regulation wins in 46 games, and we’ve won 43% of our OT games with 6 wins (3 of which have happened in SO).

59. J.T. says:

I’m not impressed to hear Breezer’s complaining about not playing. If reports are true, it’s the second time in a couple of days he’s made his displeasure known within earshot of reporters. It’s a far cry from the “I’m just here to help in whatever role I’m given” player Gainey signed to finish out his career in Montreal. He doesn’t contribute more than Gorges on the ice, and if he’s going to be a disruption off it, I think he should be cut.

60. Rugger says:

For what it’s worth, I just saw on a Pen’s site that Conklin is not starting tonight.

61. saskhab says:

“Half” (not really that much, but we’re using hyperbole) of the Oilers points were earned for winning the shootout, not losing. They’re brilliant at it, and seemingly play close games to get to the shootout. It seems to be an element of their strategy.

The rib with the Oilers is what their record would look like without the shootout… they’d have something like only 6 or 7 wins this year and be a team with a ridiculously horrendous record.

For reference, shootouts league-wide are down somewhat significantly this season from the first two years, BTW. I don’t think games that go to OT are down that much, though.

62. Chuck says:

The problem with the “loser point” system is that it was brought in to artificially tighten up the playoff races. While on paper this might seem like a good idea, in reality it just makes it more difficult to catch teams ahead of you. For example, at the start of Buffalo’s 10-game losing streak they led Toronto by 2 points. Even though the laffs got a couple of wins over that stretch, the were still trailing Buffalo by two points at the end of that losing streak.

And imagine if you had to try to leapfrog several teams.

“A banner for Vezina must hang from the rafters!”

Teach – I can’t imagine anyone would give him $8.3 mil like he’s getting this year in New York. I wonder what he would go for in the open market? Maybe he’ll resign with the Rangers at a lower cost.

The Original 24 Cups

Teach – And he did it with class and dignity. His ego never got in the way like some of today’s announcers.

The Original 24 Cups

Timo – Hate to say it but our beloved Habs are tied for the NHL lead in that department!

The Original 24 Cups

66. The Teacher says:

EXXX-ACTLY.

However, I would hope Lidstrom has more class than to do that.

67. Moey says:

Good memory, I just remember Shelly:)

Likehoy – In essence, this comment that you just posted has indirectly deleted it for you (intention wise). Another way to approach it is to go back to that original comment and click on ‘edit’ and modify the comment or just stroke it out entirely so that it’s totally blank. Just a thought.

The Original 24 Cups

69. Chuck says:

I think that Sidney Crosby Bobby Clarke’d Sidney Crosby’s ankle. :)

“A banner for Vezina must hang from the rafters!”

Hey Teach – Not belabouring the point but it’s just that I’m coming in late on this post. I totally agree with you and stated so on this site weeks ago that something fishy was going on in Anaheim. I don’t buy for a minute the notion that these two players needed all this time to decide whether they would come back or not. Burke had it all worked out and now he has the same guys returning with their extra cap space going to Schneider and Bertuzzi. The only major piece he’s missing from last year is Penner.

What’s to stop Detroit from having Lidstrom ‘retire’ next year so they can sign Brian Campbell and then have the Swede conveniently return in February.

The Original 24 Cups

71. Ryan says:

It was Plekanec who stole it from Crosby, leading to a two on one with Shelly the other way, further leading to a pass from Pleks to Shelly to a one-timer top corner.

72. Uwey says:

But remember Latendresse is a RW, shifted to the LW in Montreal. Plus A. Kostitsyn has also played the RW, but at this point, I would say his position at LW is pretty much solidified for the rest of this season with Kovalev & Plekanec.

I have been reading on several boards, fans saying they wouldn’t trade for Tanguay. Well IMO, turning Ryder into a warm body that can score between 70 & 80 points with Stanley Cup experience would be quite an accomplishment by Gainey.

73. christophurrr says:

i miss it too.

nothing like putting your guys offside with a nice dangle right before the blueline.

74. MatttheHabsFan says:

3-1…just imagine the papers if TO blows this lead

75. The Teacher says:

LMAO, I thought that also, I’m laughing thinking about it.

76. Mattee. says:

I’ve always wondered why Kovalev is on the second wave exactly… um, doesn’t he score the goals?

77. The Teacher says:

You miss all the action with no results over what he does now?

78. The Teacher says:

A breakaway save!!! can it be?

79. linp says:

Huet Huet!!!!

80. JasonM says:

Clutch save from Huet AGAIN.

Let’s continue blaming Huet for players not able to put the puck in the other team’s backup goalie’s nut.

81. zamboni says:

That Malkin kid is sizzling.

82. sidhu says:

Come on boys, they don’t have Sid! We should be owning this team! We have 11 shots, at home, against a 2nd or 3rd string goalie!

83. The Teacher says:

Lol, no one blamed him on the first goal, but he WAS late in reacting, you can’t deny that?

84. The Teacher says:

Hahahahaha, we don’t play these teams much so we need to study them “Daryl Sutter”

ok!

85. zamboni says:

Guys, shoot the damn puck

86. sidhu says:

Sutter wasn’t very convincing that he was just there to catch a game and that Tanguay isn’t available. (He also sounded drunk – are the drinks at Chez Paree that strong?)

87. The Teacher says:

Ditto to that.

T.O. up 3-0 LOL I’m laughing so hard at CBC right now.

88. Chuck says:

Nice decision making, Gui!

89. JasonM says:

These linesmen are doing a horrible job tonight, that was clearly a pass attempt.

90. The Teacher says:

yeah, they haven’t ever seemed to adopt that rule.

91. Mattee. says:

A little finish wouldn’t hurt.

92. JasonM says:

You know’s late in reacting? Everyone else, I saw quite a few statues that let GEORGE F. LARAQUE perform a Wayne Gretzky.

93. The Teacher says:

LMAO, true enough!

94. Chuck says:

Yet he still made handling the rebound look like an adventure. Not the first time he’s had trouble covering the puck tonight.

95. JasonM says:

I couldn’t agree more.

96. sidhu says:

We have 14 shots halfway through the game. Carbo should tell the boys that, no matter what, our goal is to get 40 by the end of the game.

97. Mattee. says:

Replace Koivu… just like that? I don’t think so. He may not be leading right now, but he is still the glue that holds this team together IMO.

98. The Teacher says:

Good observation, I was just thinking that when SKost went wide and dumped it uselessly behind the net.

99. Mattee. says:

WHAT! A PP?

100. Ed says:

“Bite Me”. Boone is saucy tonight. Now if the Canadiens could only pick up on his attitude.

101. sidhu says:

I’d do that trade in a heartbeat.

102. The Teacher says:

Why isn’t our first line on the ice?

103. DYCSoccer17 says:

Koivu looks old and feeble out there tonight

104. JasonM says:

GJ on making Plek’s line sit on this PP.

105. Mattee. says:

double post.

106. zamboni says:

Nothing new
    Because for Carbo, Koivu line is the perennial #1.

107. The Teacher says:

You need to shut-up. I don’t care if I get flagged for this, because you are the person who posted those sick things under “The Craven” handle Have you no shame? There are kids on this site. Grow up.

108. Chuck says:

21 minutes? That’s called effective moderating. A special thanks to the person that was responsible for deleting those comments last night.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

109. The Teacher says:

Yeah, when I saw how fast they corrected it, I just had to let them know it was appreciated.

110. The Teacher says:

Mr. Boone, you might want to take a look at Cournoyer12’s post on the Main page. He says “where’s Craven when you need him”

Craven was the poster who made those disgusting comments earlier which were deleted 21 minutes later. I’m just wondering if it is the same person posting under both aliases.

Cournoyer12’s posts lately have been very rude compared to before. Is it possible his account has been hacked or something?

I will not respond to his posts until I hear something from you. Thanks.

111. Mattee. says:

wow, was that really penalty worthy? mon dieu…

112. Boomer93 says:

Hi I just joined this site although I read it frequently because I live in Toronto and can’t catch many games.
    From what I read tonight it appears we played bad. I rarely the chance to watch the habs play one of their better games and I am disappointed HNIC did not broadcast it in Southern Ontario. Oh well… I watched the Sabres make the Leafs look like they could play in the NHL. It’s upsetting that the boys blow these games because they take the other team lightly and don’t come up to play. They should play the same game they play on the road and keep it simple, it turns out being more impressive like this anyway, the home crowd would be happy with a hard fought win. I hope we see this soon, and that we can improve our home record to at least .500.
    I noticed a site mention us as a contender looking to acquire new pieces before the playoffs, they also called the Pens a contender. I hope we don’t trade Saku or one of our upcoming young stars. I heard about the Saku to Anaheim rumor and that would be an ok scenario for trading Saku if we did get C. Perry, I don’t think I would settle for anything less.
    One thing I noticed is how when we win people on this site get really optimistic and talk about how we are one or two players from being a serious contender. I think we are more far that that although I am not a pessimist and hate to read some of the comments in this site. I think players like Lats need to step it up and prove they belong on this time and I think we should let Smokes walk and Breezer too… We have good young talent and we can get some good players for some veterans and other youngsters who are not becoming part of our new core.

113. Guy21 says:

P.S. Corey Perry is a first round draft choice-has nine more goals already this year than all of last year-why in the world would they trade him for Koivu ?? Makes no sense at all and have any rumours ever come true?-We were all shocked with any players we got either by trade or free agency in the last few years.Nobody had the slightest clue who would be coming here …..
    Tanguay will not be here either…especially not for Ryder….come on be real-why would Sutter want Ryder??

GO HABS GO

114. Chris says:

Eek. There is absolutely no way I EVER want to see Corey Perry in a Habs jersey. I had to spend 3 years watching that guy play OHL hockey for the London Knights, and he embodied everything that I dislike about hockey. I have never seen a more cowardly “physical” player in the OHL…the only way you would see that guy throwing punches was if his opponent was being held by two other people or had his back to Perry. Probably being overly harsh on the guy, but he remains my least favourite OHL player over the past 10 years.

115. Guy21 says:

Koivu is slipping and that’s not good-he could break open games at one time
    Higgins worries me-he has gone into the tank and I’m not sure what the real problem is-maybe the wrong line mates
    AK46 is awesome-skates like the wind-great shot- scores and can hit like a train
    Pleks is absolutely the first line centre that everyone last year thought he would never be
    Georges is better every game and it would be a shame if he goes back to the press box this year
    Alex is the best player on the team,and about time(as he goes- so goes the team)
    The D are all playing very steady and the shots against would verify that fact
    Somebody mentioned that we are loosing to backup goalies -other coaches are smart to play the French goalies against the Habs as they always come up with a great game because they secretly always wanted to he a Hab
    OK lets ……………GO HABS GO

116. Boomer93 says:

Does anybody have any plausible trade rumors concerning habs players?
    I would not like to see Koivu go and it is upsetting to read posts from people who are just talking about wanting to see him walk. He is our captain and you can’t give up on him because he is not playing great. Did we give up on Kovalev? Last year a lot of people wanted him gone and look at him now. If Koivu was traded I would only be happy to see him to go a cup contender and if we got a good return, although I would not like to see him go. As for Ryder, I could live with him being traded but I think we need to let go of these veteran acquisitions like Breezer and Smokes and let our young players play. The only vets on the ice should be Koivu and Kovalev, maybe Ryder if he gets the ice time he needs.

117. Chuck says:

brutal call

118. JasonM says:

Someone needs to fire the Pen’s equipment manager, obviously with all these players falling all the time he isn’t meeting expectations and fails at the basics on how to take care of skates.

119. Moey says:

“Had the Kid been there, this would’ve been a blowout”!!!. I disagree, we usually do well against the Pens when Sid is playing. The Pens, especially Malkin really stepped up their game. As a matter of fact, they played better without him.

BTW, that’s a strange handle you have for a Habs fan.

120. Habs Suck says:

Wasn’t able to be online for this one, but did watch the game.

Summary in my opinion goes something like this:

While Huet displayed moments of glory and kept things from getting completely out of hand, and the Kovy line had their shifts of near brilliance, and Komi got our adrenaline pumping with his bone-crushing hits, this team could not finish any potential scoring plays. They made Sabourin look much better than he was. Not to take anything away from his goose-egg performance, but there was very little pressure from inside the slot or in front of the Pens crease; everything came from the perimeter. There was definitely a lack of team effort, especially in the Pens zone. Oh, did I fail to mention Kostopoulos had a pretty decent game? Not that it mattered much…

Kovy left many spell-bound with his incredibly smooth hands, but couldn’t get a great shot off all night. Ditto for the elder Kostitsyn. Even Pleks made mistakes he normally doesn’t.

The Koivu line did little and only showed signs of life when Kostitsyn jr. controlled the puck. Higgins and Koivu… were they on the ice tonight? [BTW, lots of talk on RDS about Koivu's best days being behind him and noted that it's not common to have a #1 line with an aging center.]

Ladies and gents, put your hands together for the Crosby-less Pens who gave the Habs a lesson on team effort. Malkin was sharp and none of the Habs could handle Laracque’s mass and power along the boards. Everyone came to play tonight. Get well soon Sid??? Had the Kid been there, this would’ve been a blowout!!!

121. Mattee. says:

2P Break: Can anyone read Max’s lips in his scrum with Laraque?

He said, “I’m sorry, please don’t kill me.”

122. Habs-Kat says:

Would anyone trade Higgins for Tanguay and a conditional pick?

123. MatttheHabsFan says:

No…would you?

124. christophurrr says:

JFJ maybe

125. JasonM says:

Why would you trade Higgy C?

126. Mattee. says:

nooooo, I don’t think we’ve seen the best of higgins yet. how high is this pick?

127. christophurrr says:

mike milbury

128. The Teacher says:

Nah, don’t really like Tanguay

129. Ed says:

Yes, sounds like a handle that a leafs fan would have.

130. christophurrr says:

haha, true

131. MatttheHabsFan says:

He might ask that Steve Thomas or Phil Housley be included in the package

132. Mattee. says:

and another mentor.

133. The Teacher says:

Wow, can we make you the next GM?

134. Mattee. says:

hey, what’s with all the koivu bashing?

135. Ali says:

yeah, lets give Kovalev a 2nd chance after the miserable season he had last year, but not our captain, great stuff man!

136. MatttheHabsFan says:

Yeah…because rash decisions always work out

137. PattyBoy31 says:

? who are you

138. MatttheHabsFan says:

no thanks

139. MatttheHabsFan says:

For me it’s more that Koivu has given a lot to this team and trading our captain when we are poised to make the playoffs and possibly make a push is a classless move. Maybe showing some faith in Koivu will show all our promising youngsters that the Habs respect their players…

140. PattyBoy31 says:

Yeah i havent seen too much of tanguay so I don’t know what I would give up for him. But. i do remember him getting 2 or 3 points in the final game of the stantley cup finals when I was a 10 year old Avs fan. thats the only time i saw him play

141. The Teacher says:

Hey Cage Rattler, you watching this penalty call?

what horsecrap

142. The Teacher says:

Actually, edited post. not worth replying to as you obviously aren’t reading what I post.. I’ll take my own advice.

143. sidhu says:

Gorges has played just thirty seconds less than Komi, and the same as Higgins. Think he’s being showcased?

144. Habs-Kat says:

At least Huet’s been fairly sharp this game and hasn’t wandered too far out of his crease often.

145. Mattee. says:

He’s still due for his 1 softy per game. so, we have to score 3 times before the night is out…

146. PattyBoy31 says:

talking about that I played a game last night and made a huet giveaway behind the net that cost us a goal. the first thing I thought of was “my dads gonna say i look like huet”. its a bad feeling btw

147. The Teacher says:

Ohhh yeah, I’m warming him up for Valentine’s day lol

148. The Teacher says:

What a relevant post.
    And why isn’t your account banned?

149. Chuck says:

Tell me about it, especially after what he posted last night… and for his “name” that he lists on his profile.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

150. The Teacher says:

I didn’t notice that. Do you see what I’m referring to when I compare him to what a certain poster posted last night on the main page?

151. Chuck says:

There are definitely similarities there.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

152. MikeMcLaren says:

Is this the year…

…that the Canadiens can finally come back from being down going into the third period?

(this is more appreciated by those of us in the US who have been “treated” to 8,000 of these Rebook ads per hour on the NHL Network)

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

153. sidhu says:

Koivu can’t fight off anyone, send him to Calgary please

154. zamboni says:

Boone,
    Does you jinx work on the opposition goalie
    The Teacher tried it with no luck.

155. The Teacher says:

The year?

It happened last game?

156. Ali says:

The team goes 7-1-2 in our last 10, and people are calling for the Captain to be dumped. Only in Montreal!

157. MatttheHabsFan says:

I’m pretty sure he’s referencing the ad where Sidney Crosby asks “Is this the year someone gets 200 points?” I think it’s time for them to pull that ad.

158. the_vipah says:

I guess the refs are reduced to making up calls now. Could have called about 4-5 other things this period, including a high stick and tons of interference, but no…lets call….that.

159. christophurrr says:

millen also said he had a shutout goin for him

160. Mattee. says:

ps: I like the commercial the first 157 times. After that, not so much.

161. Habs-Kat says:

Wasn’t it tied going into the third last game or is my brain not working up to speed tonight?

162. MikeMcLaren says:

Montreal and Atlanta were tied 1-1 after two last game.

I don’t believe the Canadiens have won a game when trailing after two this season (and certainly not this year if that’s the case)

…and yes, I was referencing those ultra annoying and overplayed ads.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

163. MICP says:

They trailed after the first but not the second. We are still winless when down after two periods.

164. ebk says:

Not many shots by the Penguins but the ones they had were point blank. Huet ikept the Habs in the game early in the 2nd and then the Kovalev line took over. Man are those three amazing. Is it just a matter of time until they score or is Sabourin going to steal on for the Penguins

165. Mickey says:

I have never understood the hate for Koviu in Montreal. He has done so much for the team and the city. It will be a sad day for me when he is no longer playing in a habs uni. I would love to see him raise a cup over his head in Montreal, can’t think of someone who deserves it more.

166. MICP says:

I am getting a sick feeling as I think back to when Thibault was in net and shut us out. I can it happening tonight as well. I fear the only way we score is if the Pens get that second goal first. I so hope that I am wrong.

167. Mattee. says:

haha I agree. It’s getting out of hand. Does anybody remember the bald soccer ref? Name goes by Pierluigi Collina. Excellent ref. Do we have a hockey equivalent?

168. the_vipah says:

Koivu is a class guy. He’s played his heart out for this team. The problem with him is that he isn’t French, isn’t 6’2″ and doesn’t weigh 220-240lbs. He tried to play like it and I think its catching up to him. Don’t blame Koivu. Blame the management for 12+ years of largely trash players he had to deal with.

169. Habs-Kat says:

Sabourin’s got a Shutout going for him so far. Yep, a big ole’ Shutout.
    Shutout.

Shutout.

170. Mattee. says:

I hope your right, I think pleks is going to do it. No, I know he is.

171. The Teacher says:

Hotstove floating all kinds of rumours. Who would you rather have?

Campbell
    Sundin
    Jokinen
    Khabibulin
    Boyle

172. Mattee. says:

yea, Shutout for sure. Even two Shutouts. He’s that good… mmhmm..

173. The Teacher says:

Hopefully it’ll work this period, it didn’t work the last one :(

SHUTOUT FOR SABBY

174. MatttheHabsFan says:

Forgetting the fact that he leads the team in assists and faceoff % among centreman, do you not think that having such an inspirational figure around would be of incredible benefit once we get into the playoffs. No, he’s not a #1 center on a Stanley Cup team, but he certainly fits quite nicely in at #2.

175. The Teacher says:

He was the best ref ever. Such impartiality and was respected by all the players.

I think Red Storey was the last hockey equivalent? There are still lines-men but no refs I can name.

176. MatttheHabsFan says:

I’d rather put some faith in our youngsters, and not trade away any of our future…

177. The Teacher says:

That goes without saying. Free agency is the way to go if you want a new player, not really trading. Overpriced market and all..

178. J.T. says:

Notes on the second:

Sutter says Tanguay is “one of the best left-wingers in the game” and a trade for him will have to “bring back a lot.” In other words, no Ryder for Tanguay straight-up.

Huet’s ventures out of his net are as scary as a graveyard on Halloween. But some of his saves are heroic.

Latendresse and Higgins were apparently two of the models for the Venus de Milo.

Koivu needs to shoot once in a while. Just to change things up.

Ryder’s trying really hard to make sure Sutter doesn’t want him. Good to see he likes Montreal so much.

Lapierre to Laracque: “If you hit me, can you at least tell me where it’s coming?”

Pleks to the ref: “Excuse me, good sir, but I’m fairly certain the behaviour of the gentleman in the crease constitutes abuse under the rules of the game.”
    Ref to Pleks: “That’s a penalty, asshole!”

179. Mattee. says:

Sundin’s good, but I would be happy if he was one of those players who never raised the Cup. I’d have to say Jokinen, we could use a guy like him and we’re all set in the goalie and d-man department. Jokinen’s got something we could use desparately tonight: finish.

180. the_vipah says:

Jokinen is who we need. Period.

No way in hell would Sundin come to the Habs even tho we did trade those clowns Gilmour a few years back.

Rest are junk, couldn’t care less.

181. Ian G Cobb says:

Not a very good game, and the announcers are brutal, i,m watching and listening to some Oscar Peterson Jazz. And a scotch of course.

182. Habs-Kat says:

Sundin for sure. He’s been one of the league’s top players for so long without much of a supporting cast, his best season was when he was young and was part of a talented Nordiques squad. Stick him with a stronger team and top-tier wingers and he’ll explode, methinks.

183. Mattee. says:

LOL! “excuse me good sir?” really? Good points J.T.

184. ebk says:

A big forward like Jokinen or Sundin and a top four dman and this team takes a serious run a Lord Stanley’s mug

185. Ed says:

I hear Sabourin has a shut out going. It’s time to break it.

186. Mattee. says:

I know a lot of hockey refs who wouldn’t make the list, I can’t think of even one that would.

187. MatttheHabsFan says:

Yeah sorry…I’m sure that’s not the kind of post you were looking for. But I’ve been saying the same thing all year. If we do make any trades I hope it’s to clear out a little of the surplus in exchange for picks or prospects and maybe bringing in one effective role player at the deadline. So….something like Smolinski for a pick

188. Mattee. says:

kovy, high five.

189. christophurrr says:

watching in style. nice work.

190. sidhu says:

I’m disappointed at how immature you all are being.

ps – shutout

191. MatttheHabsFan says:

Would you be prepared to give up the asking price for him though? Based around what Forsberg got the Preds, you might be looking at a trade like S. Kost (Upshall), Fischer (Parent) and a 1st and 2nd I believe? It didn’t really work out so well for the teams that made this kinda deal last year.

192. Mattee. says:

IN THE NET! IN THE FRIGGIN NET!

193. sidhu says:

I’m a bit surprised we haven’t seen any Carbo line-juggling yet.

194. Mattee. says:

I stole his pen and paper.

195. Habs-Kat says:

Sabourin’s mask is cute :)
    Dedicated to his daughter or something maybe..

196. JasonM says:

Gorges the playkiller strikes again.

197. MatttheHabsFan says:

I guess we’ll have to…although you did make some strong arguments

198. Habs-Kat says:

Of course not, but I was just saying that Sundin’s the best of the lot.

199. The Teacher says:

Didn’t we all know that was going to get called. A joke the NHL is…

200. sidhu says:

The phrase that pays is – “boom goes the dynamite”

201. the_vipah says:

Terrible call.

202. Alirio says:

C’MON!!!!!

F-U Ref! F-U

I’ve made a huge mistake…

203. JasonM says:

That Pen’s player should go to the Olympics and represent his country for the long jump cause that distance was pretty damn impressive.

204. NLhabsfan says:

How much diving does this team do.

205. MatttheHabsFan says:

Yeah i agree…would it ever be strange seeing him in a Habs jersey

206. The Teacher says:

LMAO, brings me back to my hockey-playing days :P

207. PattyBoy31 says:

they all have to compensate for the lack of crosbys point production and diving

208. Mattee. says:

um… sensitive? I don’t think anyone is dating Koivu, and it’s fine that you don’t like him, but mention it once and move on.

209. Ali says:

You first, and so will we. We promise.

210. The Teacher says:

Are you a parrot? didn’t you just say this to me 20 minutes ago? Are you Cage Rattler in disguise?

211. Ed says:

Yes, I never thought about the fact that we got nothing in return, two lost on waivers, and the famous trade of Ribeiro for someone now gone overseas.

Ed – You’re right they are all good players, unfortunately only two of them are now Habs. The last three were lost for nothing – in fact we still owe Dallas a late round pick for Ribeiro.

The Original 24 Cups

213. MatttheHabsFan says:

How many points do you expect from a second line center exactly. Doesn’t he lead the team in assists?

214. PattyBoy31 says:

i’ll admit that he hasnt been great but I still support him

215. PattyBoy31 says:

thats one of the best pics of komi ever!!

216. The Teacher says:

Haha, the kid next to them is pretty funny also.

217. Habs-Kat says:

That’s front page material!

218. fun police says:

fourth freakin line again…….13 minutes left, three tv time out left……bizarro carbo is back.

219. The Teacher says:

“right there, right there”

right where?

220. christophurrr says:

plenty of time for a comeback

221. MatttheHabsFan says:

beat me to it…how awesome would it be for the parents of that kid to have that photo made into a poster for his room.

222. The Teacher says:

Great idea!

223. Mickey says:

that wasnt a bad call. Dandy accidently got him with the knee and triped him, you gotta call that

224. the_vipah says:

You cant go over a player and then have it called a trip when you fall. Also Malkin dove.

225. Chuck says:

If you’ve seen the laff’s record, you’ll know that Paul Muurice doesn’t have any answers.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

226. fun police says:

habs played a good game, penguins played perfect road game and sabourin was very good tonight.

227. PattyBoy31 says:

awful. pittsburghs defence got the shutout, not sabourin, then again montreal may have shut themselves out yet again. oh well, time to move on.

228. Y says:

Well I knew they couldn’t win at home, now they can’t even score at home.
    Made Sabourin look like Patrick Roy by taking lame perimeter shots. No one crashing the net. Bleh

229. zamboni says:

Good night folks until next time…

230. Chuck says:

Pure and simple, the Habs have sucked at home on Saturday nights this year.

231. The Teacher says:

Hey Cage Rattler…too bad we can’t play more teams who played the night before eh?

232. sidhu says:

Those are the weakest 31 shots you’ll ever see.

233. The Teacher says:

That might be a good idea…

234. Chuck says:

Thats two words. And you sould hear what Koivu says about you!

235. MatttheHabsFan says:

good perspective on the loss. every team is bound to lose once in awhile.

236. MICP says:

Some random thoughts:

First time the Pens have won without Sid the Kid.

Back up goalies love to play the Habs.

When trailing after 2 just call the game.

Notice when we are trying to protect a third period lead we seem to give it away. Notice the Pens kept coming and coming in the third. They had the only power plays and they did not just sit back and wait for us to come to them. They kept us deep in our own zone.

Great game by Pittsburgh, they played better and are a better team. We are young and learning.

237. RH says:

Hey, way to hope Sabourin got the shutout guys!;)

Can the Habs play the rest of the season on the road?

238. MatttheHabsFan says:

hahahahahahhahaha…one word….we’ll have to agree to disagree…

239. NLhabsfan says:

Well how I see it is the pens played a strong game.You know they were going to play their asses off because their star is gone.I am disgusted.Anyone want to tell me what Higgins has done when he was put on the first line.Nothing.I liked Lapierre. Higgins and Ryder line.Played Two strong games together.Then they are broke up.What the hell is Carbo thinking.Latendressse looks good up front with Koivu.

240. the_vipah says:

You had me till “Pittsburg is a better team”.

Pittsburg is getting very lucky with their goaltending right now. Soon that trend will equalize and they will begin to freefall.

241. The Teacher says:

LMAO agree to disagree LMAO too funny one word, ahahahahaha!

242. HabinVan says:

HIggins not being on the scoresheet in a positive way is starting to cost us points. WOrking hard is not an excuse goals speak for themselfs.

243. RH says:

I know. Just trying to make light out of a somewhat boring game.

244. Keith says:

Well we got beat by a very hot goalie and Malkin who I thought stepped up his game with the injury to Cindy Crosby. Habs got alot of shots on net but the intensity isn’t as high at home. HOLY S&^T the Donald has admitted that the rest of the country, except southern Ontario, wants to see the Habs instead of the lousy laffs lol! PRICELESS! Glad we play the Bruins next. Should hopefully be a guaranteed 2 points ;-)

245. MICP says:

We will find out soon enough if the Pens are good or if its just because of Sid making everyone else better. Time will tell for the Pens.

246. MatttheHabsFan says:

I think we can attribute the loss to the bad karma created by some wanting to trade our captain mid-game

247. Xtrahabsfan says:

The difference was the goaltending plain and simple,the first guy to let in the puck is the goat. Even though ,both goalies great tonite but we need a powerforward thats big and crashes the net like Bertuzzi! Good game to watch but to loose against a team missing Crosby and Armstrong and this was there second game in two day’s just sucks!

248. Ed says:

Ryder had a goal in the last game, and 4 goals in the last 9 games. They were all at even strength as he seldom gets on the PP anymore. What happens tonight – he plays 9:25. It’s impossible to get into the game when you play only 3 minutes per period.

249. Ed says:

Where is cage rattler? Maybe he does not know about Boone’s blog, and that is a good thing.

250. Chuck says:

It’s past his bed time.

251. Blitzen says:

That game looked an awful lot like games they played earlier this year when things were not going well. Too many missed passes when shooting would be best.

To those who keep waiting for a trade, I’ll betcha nothing happens again this year.

252. Xtrahabsfan says:

Ya ,I’m pretty sure Sutter don’t want Ryder now dam it,lol

253. ebk says:

Well played game by both teams, Habs looked to be taking over after two but the Pens did a great job holding them off. Lots of good chances at both ends, both goalies were fabulous, Sabourin was just a bit better.

Is this a preview of the first round of the play-offs. If it is it will be a pretty entertaining series. Both teams skate and move the puck well at top speed. Lots of bodies banging around out there, Mikey is growing up in a nasty way, some beautiful hits by the big fella.

I sure do like Jim Hughson as an play by play man. The best in the business in my books. Takes me back to the days when him and Singleton did the Expos in the late 80’s, early 90’s. Millen sucks as a color guy, give my Pierre any day.

What does Smolinski have to do to be a healthy scratch. I really like the guy but is he by far the Habs worst forward right now. And that’s not easy with Kosto and Dandenault being dressed. :)

The team put out a good effort and competed all night. Has not always been the case this season.

254. The Teacher says:

Carbo-

“Our skating, passing was a little off tonight. i don’t think we had 20 guys who were ready to give 100% and….drums the table with his fingers…ready to play tonight”

pretty efficient remark.

255. MatttheHabsFan says:

It’s amazing how mercurial some people on this site are about the Habs…the Sens lost to the worst team in the Eastern Conference tonight by the same score that we just lost. Should they fire their coach, should they trade their captain? Are all of their players suddenly worthless in the trade market? Some of you need to gain some perspective

256. MatttheHabsFan says:

Will witty remarks to the reporters really make any difference to the results of the next game. If you want a witty coach full of insightful answers I recommend you follow the Toronto Maple Leafs.

257. Chuck says:

Oh well, sometimes the bounces just don’t go your way. Kovy couldn’t get a puck to lie flat for a decent shot all night; pucks bouncing over sticks, half-passes into skates, officials getting in the way of clearing attemps… this one just wasn’t meant to go our way.

Bring on the Boooins!

258. Keith says:

I like that…Carbo taps his fingers on the table to make his point about his teams effort.

259. Ed says:

That is not true. Kovalev 20:46; Plekanec 18:58; Kostitsyn 19:25 for a total of 59:29. The 3rd & 4th lines: Latendresse 12:07; Ryder 9:26; Smolinski 8:42; Lapierre 11:16; Kostopoulos 11:32; and Dandenault 7:21 for a total of 60:24. It might seem to you that they are getting as much ice time, when in reality the 3rd & 4th lines combined, played 55 seconds more than Kovalev’s line.

260. the_vipah says:

You hit the nail right on the head.

The vocal minority on this site make Habs fans look like whining, crying, complaining pussies.

They have worn the step leading on and off the wagon and waggled their finger at every member of the orginisation at one time or another.

261. jimbo82 says:

Boone good point on Kostapoulos line being out there when they are down 1-0 late in third. I really don’t get what the coach is thinking sometimes. Having said that I really don’t think they would have scored anyway, the way that game was going.

262. MatttheHabsFan says:

So true. At the start of this season I saw a lot of promising youngsters and my biggest hope for the year was their development. Not only is this happening (Pleks, A. Kost, Komi now all playing very prominent roles) but we also happen to be sitting in what…4th place in the Conference after tonight. Losses happen, get over it. Hopefully the team has learned something about the Pens tonight, that maybe come playoff time will be far more important then this game.

263. MatttheHabsFan says:

Yeah…same with Markov…he didn’t play his best game either…He is now untradeable for anything other then a 3rd round pick…dammit!

264. Ed says:

Some fans would complain even if the Habs won all 82 games, and swept all games in the playoffs. At least that’s how I feel about certain fans on this site. This is a very young team that is improving rapidly, and will get even better as the year goes along.

265. christophurrr says:

halak didn’t stop anything in the warmup either… sutter was NOT impressed i could tell

266. Sbah Reverof says:

No shortage of effort tonight; sadly, the bounces went the other way. Give the guys credit for never giving up, and give Pittsburgh credit for playing a solid game. Very entertaining all around.

267. J.T. says:

Notes on the third:

The Habskis couldn’t have bought a goal tonight if their last names were Rockerfellerov, Gateski and Croesus. Nothing bounced for them.

That said, I have to disagree with our illustrious leader. I think the team *did* have a decent effort tonight. The D was strong, but the O wasn’t there.

Huet seems to have been jolted out of his soft play of late by that giveaway in Atlanta. He was sharp as a knife tonight. I think it’s kind of like when you’ve been driving on the highway for a long time and you get a little tired…you start to drift off, but then nearly swerve into the path of a transport truck. The shock and adrenaline rush has you wide awake for the rest of the drive.

It seems to get to Kovalev like nothing else when he can’t score. He starts shaking his head and looking up at the sky, and generally getting distracted.

I HATE getting shut out. It’s so…ignominious. Is there any coincidence the two times the Habs have been shut out, it’s been by French backup goalies?

I wonder what’s wrong with Chris Higgins? He’s skating like he’s plodding through a bog in the spring. The only way he makes up for his lack of finish is by hustling so hard he *forces* pucks into the net. He’s not doing that right now.

Speaking of underachievers…Ryder, Latendresse and Koivu are also being paid to create offence, if memory serves. I’ve been very worried about what would happen if the first line is shut down. We saw it tonight. I think Sergei K is being held back by his linemates at the moment.

Komisaurus didn’t go down without a roar. Good for him.

The only word I can think of to accurately describe Smolinski’s play is “nondescript.” That’s it…dictionary definition: “A person or thing of no particular type or kind.” Glad he’s only here for a year.

Not related to the third period, but a pleasant glimpse of the future: Yanic Weber is tearing it up since the WJC. Had a hat trick tonight. Also, two goals for J.T.Wyman who’s late-blooming into a power forward.

Ah well…bad games sometimes happen to good teams. Bring on the bitches on Tuesday.

268. Chris says:

Yep, Koivu has a no-trade clause. He was talking about it in an interview earlier in the year when everybody was sure he was going to be traded. He was joking with the media that it was a bit amusing to him since he had a no-trade clause and didn’t want to go anywhere.

269. Chorske says:

He had at least one. He buried it into Sabourin’s numbers but it was a decent scoring chance. I didn’t see him make that many mistakes. The whole team had an off night, except maybe AK and Komisarek. It isn’t fair to dump on Koivu.

270. The Teacher says:

OMG OUR 205TH PASS OF THE NIGHT

271. Alirio says:

SOOOOO Close…

I’ve made a huge mistake…

272. JasonM says:

Y
    R
    WII
    ALYWAYS
    PASSING

273. The Teacher says:

It’s the home disease.

274. Chuck says:

Just let the Pleks line play the rest of the game…

275. Mattee. says:

Just play Kovalev for the rest of the game. I know he won’t mind.

276. sidhu says:

Armstrong down – karma for going after Koivu last year??

277. Ed says:

Mike Boone, you are bad. You said Conklin was starting, but it is Sabourin. Let’s throw a ton of shots his way.

278. NLhabsfan says:

Next two min we will tell the difference.

279. sidhu says:

Totally off-topic, but for anyone watching CBC, the Indian guy at the end of the partypoker.com commercial is singing a song saying a girl is sweet like sugarcane and then tells his boy Surjit to come over quickly… (I speak the same language)

280. The Teacher says:

the puck is BOUNCING all over the place…

except into their net

281. MatttheHabsFan says:

On a positive note, we seem to have played another solid defensive game though.

282. The Teacher says:

OOH WHAT A HIT!

SCOTT STEVENS-LIKE!

283. Alirio says:

AWESOME…

I’ve made a huge mistake…

284. the_vipah says:

Uhhg I hate it when 3rd-4th string goalies kick our asses.

285. fun police says:

what…..fourth line…..i don’t care how close they come to scoring, they can’t score.

286. sidhu says:

Great shift for Komi

287. JasonM says:

Komisaurus is taking numbers.

288. linp says:

we need to crash the net. That’s our only hope

289. Alirio says:

One-word prediction:

KOIVU!

I’ve made a huge mistake…

290. Chuck says:

ROAAAAARRRR!!!

291. JasonM says:

Can our coach start playing our top two lines now and take a timeout in between? I don’t see why 3rd/4th liners are getting so much action.

292. JasonM says:

WHY IS GORGES EVERYTIME THE PLEKS LINE IS ON????

He kills EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

WTB BRISEBOIS

293. zamboni says:

Were they boo-ing Koivu?

294. The Teacher says:

and THAT’S why we love booly.

295. fun police says:

fourth line on with 2:30!!!!!!!!

296. JasonM says:

Why is our 4th line on with 2 minutes left?

297. linp says:

We are playing the 4th line. WTF

298. sidhu says:

Gorges has played over 18 minutes, he’s being showcased IMO. Bye-bye Koivu and Gorges?

299. MatttheHabsFan says:

This team is useless??? OMG

300. the_vipah says:

Puck is bouncing for Pittsburg this game. Plain and simple.

Their goalie is playing his one quality game of the year and its against us, suprise…suprise.

301. JasonM says:

I don’t grasp why with so little time left, why we send our grinders out when we are losing a game? That’s not smart coaching.

302. the_vipah says:

Heres some tissue for your tears Timo.

303. JasonM says:

Yet another French-Canadian nobody who pulls a Patrick Roy on us. LOL

304. MatttheHabsFan says:

haha..wow….andddd you’re not a true Habs fan.

305. The Teacher says:

ok..but you flip flop ridiculously..Seriously speaking Timo….

. *uck em all!!! Gutless losers!

that’s what you wrote…I mean…come on?

306. The Teacher says:

not the bad guy, just flip flopping a little bit too harshly I think. but that’s not unusual for you :P

307. Chuck says:

Get up and walk it off.

308. The Teacher says:

Definitely tailbone

309. sidhu says:

High hit on Cube!

310. The Teacher says:

HEY That was dirty by Laraque

311. Habs-Kat says:

2ND BEST POWERPLAY? Nooo, let’s get that PP back up top.

312. The Teacher says:

Aww, the hometown goalie jinx?

313. Fagstein says:

Did you see that? Pens cleared the puck, and Huet stays in his net rather than going out for it.

314. sidhu says:

Max and Lats together – let’s see if their friendship translates into strong play together.

315. Chuck says:

AK46 with the best save of the game so far. :(

316. The Teacher says:

Damn, that was close

317. Keith says:

Jim Hughson calling the play by play on CBC no less. Decent move for once, except for Greg Millen, he sucks and hates the Habs.

318. The Teacher says:

Hamrlik playing VERY strong tonight.

319. The Teacher says:

and Huet totally asleep.

talk about a delayed reaction.

320. Habs-Kat says:

Georges Laracque or WAYNE GRETZKY?

321. the_vipah says:

Nice defense. Not huets fault yet again is it?

322. MatttheHabsFan says:

Yeah no kidding…that is a big man

323. MatttheHabsFan says:

Not at all…That looked like a powerplay goal

324. Chuck says:

Well that sucked…

325. The Teacher says:

not entirely, but he didn’t look comfortable there and was totally reacting slow. I missed the missed check because I was watching Huet the whole time there. Spent 10 seconds on his knees and when he finally got up he forgot to look where the pass was going.

326. JasonM says:

LETS BLAME HUET AGAIN, NOT THE 5 STATUES ON THE DEFENSIVE COVERAGE.

327. The Teacher says:

And Komi takes out the ref. LMAO Cage Rattler will probably say he should get suspended.

Funny how we never heard anything more on the sundin push eh?

328. fun police says:

wish pleks line would get on more often. three to four minutes between shifts.

329. sidhu says:

We need some shots boys, just keep it simple and throw pucks at the net

330. The Teacher says:

Higgins had his hands turned to stone by Harry Potter tonight or something?

331. sidhu says:

Great stick lift by Higgy

332. The Teacher says:

ok REF, get out OF THE WAY!

333. Habs-Kat says:

It looks like the Canadiens thought they were going to come out and skate circles around a Crosby-less team.

334. MatttheHabsFan says:

SK is a smart hockey player. Starting to see why Dale Hunter felt he was the most NHL-ready player on his London Knights last year

335. zamboni says:

Except that the goal was his fault ;)

336. Chuck says:

D’oh!!!!

337. Keith says:

ALMOST KOVI!

338. sidhu says:

Strong forechecking by AK46 – he continues to impress

339. JasonM says:

That puck went off Kovalev’s stick bad, Habs almost had a tie there. :'(

340. The Teacher says:

ahaha, I know, two seconds after I typed it in :(

341. zamboni says:

So it must have been your Jinx ;)
    Boone Jinx is enough we don’t need more recruits :)

342. The Teacher says:

How about this one?

Sabourin is heading for a shutout tonight.

343. zamboni says:

I hope (wish) your jinx works on the opposition.

344. Cable Guy says:

I’m super happy Sid’s not playing, we have no reason we should lose this game.

345. Naila Jinnah says:

And if they go into the game thinking that way, that’s exactly why we WILL lose the game!

346. sanj91 says:

cable guy: except for ty conklin, malkin, staal, and gonchar….but i do agree with you that if we ever wanted a win and to retain 4th place, tonight is the night…. i hope huet plays again…he’s our number 1 goalie and until he screws up bad…i don’t think we should play halak….

347. teamplayer says:

i dont think crosby thought he was going into the boards hard, thats why he never braced himself, just another fluke injury that happens in sports. wish him a fast recovery and would love to see a habs-pens first round matchup

348. NLhabsfan says:

There is a possibility they will be over confident.Might be a tougher game than we can imagine.Especially with our home record.

349. JF says:

They also have to contend with the post-road-trip letdown. Somehow Carbo and the players themselves have to find the motivation to come out flying. Two more points would help cushion their position. New Jersey lost last night but play Toronto on Sunday, while Philadelphia, with Gagne back in the line-up, are gathering momentum.

350. NLhabsfan says:

It’s all over but the shouting.

351. Habs-Kat says:

Faceoffs, time management, and player matchups will be key now.

352. Habs-Kat says:

SHUTOOOOOOUT! PLEEEEEEEEASE!

353. J.T. says:

Pens’ll be mad after getting shut out at home last night. And without Crosby, the rest of them who use him as a crutch when they decide to float once in a while will step it up. I’m expecting a fast, exciting game with Conklin standing on his head and Malkin feeling like a superstar. Habs had better show up with strong goaltending of their own and good team discipline or we’ll all be talking about what went wrong tomorrow.

354. Ian G Cobb says:

JT– I’m thinking they are going to come out flying at us. If we are not ready to explode at the first puck drop, we could be in for a long night.

355. JasonM says:

356. arcosenate says:

Crosby’s injury will be re-evaluated Saturday by team doctors amid reports from Fox Sports Pittsburgh that he will be out for about four weeks. He will not join the team for their Saturday night matchup in Montreal against the Canadiens, and could also miss the 2008 NHL All-Star Game in Atlanta next week.

that was from TSN…so much for my hockey pool.

357. sidhu says:

What a play by Koivu.

358. Alirio says:

I predicted KOIVU… he CHOKED alright!

Bye Bye Suomi

I’ve made a huge mistake…

359. JasonM says:

Koivu should get an assist on that goal.

360. the_vipah says:

Oh well. Pitts stole that one. We deserved the win 100%.

It all evens out in the end.

361. Habs-Kat says:

Well. Back to the drawing board.

362. likehoy says:

with crosby out…kovy might get a shot at the ASG :)

pens are going to have a tough time staying in the playoff poicture…ty conklin showed some cracks last night and we’ll see how malkin does as a single soldier.

As of last night, we are second in the east (in points)! time to pull away and solidify our playoff position! this is a must win game boys. Though, Philly sits at 53 points with 2 games in hand, but it’s important to keep winning cause who knows what can happen to Philly in those 2 games.

363. howtathor says:

I don’t think Kovy will go to the ASG although I wish he would. I think his ego has been bruised at not bieng picked. I think he should go, if chosen, as they say: “he’s not getting any younger”. (although you could have fooled me!)

364. Higgins21 says:

Kovalev has already said that if asked, he’ll refuse. In his words “the Habs are my All-Star team”.

365. linp says:

Do tell me we are facing a hot goalie!

366. The Teacher says:

yeah, so hot he made Kovalev’s hands all sweaty and slippery and get him to shoot it right into his belly.

367. christophurrr says:

looks a little shaky, actually

368. J.T. says:

French backup in Montreal…never good for the Habs.

369. howtathor says:

The one thing I notice most about Sid’s game (aside from his immense talent) is that he is always looking to the refs for a call. It came back to bite him in the ankle :P Hope he learns from the experience. He’d be such a joy to watch if it weren’t for the incessant whining! Hey kid, just look to Jean Beliveau for the definition of class!

370. Ian G Cobb says:

howtathor– Good call. I do like him a lot better than Wayne at the same age though. Sid cries a little to much to be sure. But he is starting to stand up for himself unlike Wayne. Wayne always had body guards to wine to.

371. likehoy says:

agreed…a true warrior never quits on a play. He should shut his trap, get back up and continue to play.

372. fun police says:

fourth line again…

373. MatttheHabsFan says:

We beat Lalime…

374. The Teacher says:

Mike, your fingers still tremmmmmmmmbling after the goal of the century?

375. JasonM says:

What is up with Higgens hands? He can’t hold on to anything.

376. The Teacher says:

Harry Potter turned them to stone

377. zamboni says:

He will score tonight.

378. Habs-Kat says:

Come on Ryder! Just shoot it!

379. The Teacher says:

Damn, Ryder COULD have shot.

380. Chuck says:

Ryder hears the boos for not even getting a shot on goal.

381. The Teacher says:

Trade Ryder is in the stands?

382. J.T. says:

Love the new avatar, Chuck! Ryder’s sucking on purpose tonight because he doesn’t want to leave Montreal.

383. MikeL says:

Not only do we have 2 players from that list, we also have 3 other former draft picks as well.

384. Ed says:

Good observation by you, and it was not mentioned by Mr. Boone. I looked through the comments and you were the first to point it out. Five players, current and ex players drafted by Montreal, on the list is amazing. They are Komisarek, Plekanec, Ribeiro, Beauchemin and Hainsey. They are all good players.

385. sidhu says:

We’re trying to be too fancy with the extra passing… Just get the puck on goal and crash the net.

386. Chuck says:

Somebody’s got to tell Boone that Conklin’s not in net tonight. :)

387. The Teacher says:

LOL, Boone tipping them back early tonight :P

388. The Teacher says:

AHAHAHA BOOOOOONNNEEEEE

389. JasonM says:

So the Habs have their best line out and they never get to touch the puck because Gorges is too busy giving it (chipping it) to the other team 3 times and Hammer shooting 60-70 feet at the goalie for an easy save.

Not smart.

390. The Teacher says:

Hey, for a stinker of a period, it’s only 1-0.

391. sidhu says:

Wow, Scuderi went flying. Another strong play by AK46.

392. Habs-Kat says:

Haha, yeah, they really do look like a 1st Line.

393. Keith says:

Andre the Giant is simply amazing to watch :-)

394. JasonM says:

Why the hell is Gorges tossing a weak shot on goal at shoulder level? Can we have our better d-men on with our bets line????

395. The Teacher says:

They look so disjointed tonight.

396. JasonM says:

At least he knows what to do. Give it to the people who score.

This works for the other team too.

397. Habs-Kat says:

At least Gorges is doing something…

398. sidhu says:

Oh, that’s what a shot on goal looks like

399. JasonM says:

They should nickname Gorges the playkiller.

400. Chuck says:

Lovely. No penalty on the trip.

401. Habs-Kat says:

I laughed out loud :)

402. The Teacher says:

Ruutuuu is doing dirty crap.

403. JasonM says:

Yeah, maybe if you weren’t so biased about Brisebois defensive brain cramps you’d notice as much. :)

404. Chuck says:

Down by one after one. We’ve got the Pens right where we want them!

405. PattyBoy31 says:

lol at komi. he laughs in their face, and does a high pitch “wooooo!”. so much different than in his interviews :D

406. PattyBoy31 says:

407. linp says:

There is definitively a drop in both Koivu and Higgins play recently. Doesn’t seem to click anymore! Kovy’s line creates much better chances.

408. The Teacher says:

That Nash goal was MUCH better than Ovy’s

409. MatttheHabsFan says:

Agreed 100%

410. sidhu says:

I thought Ron MacLean was about to slip and say something else!

411. The Teacher says:

I fail to see how being gay would be relevant to hockey announcing, reporting, playing, equipment managing, directing, drafting or any other part of hockey OR our Habs.

Does it matter?

412. The Teacher says:

how about looking at it that Nash had the patience to glide and get the puck back rather than give up on the play?

413. The Teacher says:

That’s what I said….

414. The Teacher says:

Ok, end of talking to you, I’ve learned my lesson ;)

415. The Teacher says:

Glad to see we attract such intelligent posters.

416. PattyBoy31 says:

come on guys, this isn’t a leafs habs site why are we arguing

417. likehoy says:

i heard about that…but i only really want to see kovy do the shootout…that about it…or he should put on a shootout clinic during a habs practice. he should go to the skill competition then pull out last second citing vertigo or something

418. Chorske says:

What a change from last year. I’m lovin’ every minute of this new rededicated AK.

419. Chuck says:

I’d prefer that Kovalev not go to the game, and to keep playing like he’s goint something to prove!

420. J.T. says:

Notes on the first:

The first thing I look for is which colour shirts are getting to loose pucks first. So far tonight, the whites have it.

Andrei Kostitsyn’s bag of tools appears to include a sledgehammer of a bodycheck.

Latendresse needs to pick up Ruutu by the scruff of the neck and pound the stuffing out of him. Otherwise, the birthdaysaurus is going to end up in the box for five.

Good number of faceoff wins in that period. Too bad they’re giving the puck away more than the Red Cross gives blankets.

Gorges is as guilty as the next guy of the aforementioned giveaways, but he made two nice plays on Malkin too, when Therrien got the better of the matchups.

Can this be the same team that took soooo many boneheaded penalties last season? The discipline is impressive.

I liked the pace at the end of the period. Hopefully the Habs will rev it up and take advantage of some tired Penguins in the second. Sabourin needs to be tested.

421. sidhu says:

I wonder if Sutter is still hanging around, that was a pretty poor period. He’s probably on his way to Super Sexe.

422. stephen says:

I’m not sure where the 9 shots came from. There was a lot of sizzle but no steak. They could learn something from the Wings, who seem to shoot from just about anywhere, and they’re not doing too badly for themselves…

423. linp says:

Ryder should one time every opportunity

424. MatttheHabsFan says:

Is Boone implying that he’d like to see Gorges traded to Calgary??? What a shocking turn of events!

425. The Teacher says:

more on the quick boards lol.

426. JasonM says:

Clutch save from Huet.

427. Chuck says:

He almost scored on himself while trying to cover up that puck! :)

428. The Teacher says:

Wow, this is the first game where I’ve wished the Canadiens only show up for 30 minutes.

429. zamboni says:

Why is that?

430. JasonM says:

It was a 2 on 0. The puck isn’t in our net.

STOP COMPLAINING.

431. Chorske says:

Yikes, not a fun game to watch at all. The Pens played a stifling, boring, stand-up-at-the-blue-line game, and the Habs spent their time batting the puck around. And our so-called energy lines wasted much of that precious energy on an ineffective forecheck. I didn’t see too many mistakes, there were no real flashes of brilliance. I LOVED the smackdown Komisarek laid on Malkin late in the third as he tried to come into our zone- Komisarek was one of the few bright spots in this otherwise bleakly dull game.

432. The Teacher says:

Pretty good response time on those dumb comments.

21 minutes..Impressive.

433. zamboni says:

That’s funny, you make a bold statement then you say you’re clueless.

434. The Teacher says:

Talking about Price on after 40 minutes of the late CBC game.

and the Habs.

PJ said Price is still visualizing himself in MTL.

435. The Teacher says:

Mr. Boone,

Can you please explain the stuttering? They seem to happen too often to be typos. Are you trying to send a very very very subtle message about something?

Most of us think you’re tipping a few back or have developed a hand tremble due to the Habs.

If this the case, we hope you get better and/or have a glass of water every now and then ;)

436. The Teacher says:

Great after the game interview with LaBarbera by Scott Oake. Kudo’s to LaBarbera for giving a great, candid interview.