No Crosby

The Kid is not alright.

Pat Hickey reports that Sidney Crosby did not practice today and will not travel to Montreal for tomorrow night’s game at the Bell Centre.

1. The Teacher says:

OLEEEE
    OLEEEEEEEEE

HAHAA Watching that CTV report made me all giddy again. and it’s not Fey Mike!!

2. The Teacher says:

Ahahaha, CTV and Lloyd admitting the Leafs suck.

3. Ed says:

I echo both of your sentiments.

4. The Teacher says:

Awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

The heavens are aligning for us !

5. The Teacher says:

Can only be 80 pixels wide.

Ed & Teach – I am also watching the lunar eclipse on one of the most clearest nights of the year. The heavens are full of stars and the moon is a reddish-orange colour. It’s so great to sit back and pause and marvel at one of the intangibles that life has to offer. What a wonderful world.

Steve Kerley
    The Original 24 Cups

7. Ed says:

Teacher, you reminded us today of the lunar eclipse. It’s a beautiful clear night here in St. John’s (very unusual), and the eclipse has begun. It’s supposed to be in full effect in 1/2 hour, or 11:00 pm local time. We have a great view of it. It reminds me of the one I saw in Mississauga a few years ago.

8. 1010 says:

Good read Robert L… but one has to be a little concerned about the idea that the Habs aren’t fussy about what they get in return for Ryder. The last time the Habs didn’t care about what they got in return was when? Oh yeah, the Ribeiro deal. I didn’t blame Gainey for moving him at the time but that did blow up in their faces. Even given Ryder’s contract situation, if it’s for certain he’s a goner, I hope something of value comes back our way. This guy could go elsewhere and pop forty goals next year.

GO HABS.

9. RudeMood19 says:

i cant change my displace picture for some reason, any ideas why?

10. The Teacher says:

Wow, what the heck?

The Philadelphia Flyers have made their second trade in as many days, sending defenceman Jim Vandermeer to the Calgary Flames for a 2009 third round pick.

A 3rd pick!!!!???!!!!???

Ryder can get us two firsts then!!!

11. Ed says:

Even without Crosby, this is going to be a tough game for the Habs. The Penguins have been 6-3-1 in their last 10 games, while the Habs are 6-4-0. The Habs are on a 4 game win streak, while the Penguins are on a 2 game win streak. Malkin is hot with 21 points in his last 9 games; Gonchar has 13 in 13; and Conklin has a GAA of 1.50 and a save percent of .955 in his last 2 games.

For the Canadiens, Kovalev and Markov have 5 points in their last 2 games; Kostitsyn has 4 in his last 2 games, while for some reason Plekanec has only 1 point in his last 4 games. However, I think he has still been playing well.

Let’s beat them as payback for the last time when they beat us.

12. Robert L says:

Since the Canadiens are doing so fabulously well lately, eyeing down both an early playoff confirmation and a legitimate shot at first place, there is an abundance of news, stories and opinions to read. The recent spike in attention paid to the team has made it difficult for even an avid reader of everything like myself to keep up on all the happenings going about. I’m thinking that this will only increase as the days to the trade deadline wind down and the playoffs approach.

With that notion in mind, I thought that I would attempt to round up the newest of news and takes on the Canadiens in one tidy little place, provide a quick glance at what’s being said and written from sources ranging from media outlerts to my favorite blogs, and the name the pieces “Eating The Habs For Breakfast”.

Each day I’ll be scanning my usual reading places for the latest links to the stuff I believe readers would be interested in. I’ll post links to places such as the Gazette, Le Journal De Montreal, La Presse, RDS, TSN, NHL.com, and the national Canadian media outlets such as the Sun and Globe chains. In addition, pieces from my favorite blogs – Habs Inside Out, Habs World, Four Habs Fans, Lions In Winter, Theory Of Ice, The H Does Not Stand For Habs, All Habs, Hockey’s Greatest Legends, Sisu Hockey, and others – will also be featured. The pieces will be no more than a day or two old, and should be everything relevant that readers could want to catch in both official languages.

In order to properly get caught up, here is the first official edition of “Eating The Habs For Breakfast”…..call it the “evening edition!”

Eating The Habs For Breakfast – 2008-2-20

13. WindsorHab-10 says:

Crosby or not, the Pens shut us out last time on HNIC. It’s payback time and it starts with the drop of the puck.

14. WindsorHab-10 says:

May be the new line did. Most effective line last night. (Ryder, Streit & Lapierre)

15. rogus says:

I also like Ryder. It is unfortunate how he has played up till now…however it wouldn’t be Montreal if there wasn’t at least one distraction. Glad to see him have a good night, hope that helps us get Hossa.

16. Rogie30 says:

Wondered if the coming trade deadline has anything to do with Ryders invigorated play. Heard somewhere that often happens.

17. Habifax says:

Makes no sense to sit Ryder from any angle. If you are going to trade him you need to play him. If you are going to keep him you need to play him because he is hot. I agree it was his best game by miles last night. He looked confident and had lots of jump. Things he did worked unlike his other games where he has struggled. He looked like he had all the pressure off and his game flowed. Hopefully he can figure out why he played so well and keep it going. I like the guy regardless if he gets traded or not. I will cheer for him even if he is traded. He has been through alot this year and I am happy to see him finally have some success. Best of luck in the future Micheal no matter what happens over the next few days.

18. habsguy says:

don’t ya just love it when someone writes “I read somewhere”…….LOLOLOLOLOLOL

19. Propwash says:

Even if Crosby isnt playing, the Habs cant get complacent. Pittsburgh is still a dangerous team.

20. Mattee. says:

hmmm tough question. He scored twice, got the first star and played his best game of the season. soo… that equals a pressbox visit.

21. downeast hab says:

Is Ryder playing, or sitting. Never can tell with coaches.

22. mjames says:

This is rather disturbing . I read where some Swiss based hockey sheet is stating that Gainey has offered Higgins, Streit and a first rounder for Houssa. If this should ever transpire this would be the beginning of the end for our short lived dynasty.

Gainey knows that rentals don’t work!!

mjames

23. Jay in PA says:

He’s skating and taking some contact, but there’s no way he’ll be back anytime soon. He’s still at least a week away.

No Crosby?

No problem.

"You have to give them credit, they played a good road hockeyย  game," said birthday boy Mike Komisarek after Pittsburgh hung a 2-0 shutout on the Canadiens.

Without their captain, theย  Penguins played a "simpler game" Komisarek added.

"They were solid in the defensive zone, they protected the slot and their goalie played well. We had a tough time getting in front of him and creating havoc."

Dany Sabourin made 31 saves for the shutout. Komisarek felt the game might have turned if the Canadiens had "one play, one spark, one shift to get us over the edge."

The win moved the Crosby-less Penguins into first place in the Atlantic Division for the first time this season.

"If you have the second most points in the Eastern Conference, you have to be a good team," said Saku Koivu. "Sometimes it happens when a team loses a key player. Everyone wants to show they’re more than aa one-man team."ย

Pittsburghย  was a three-man team: Sabourin, Evgeni Malkin and Georges Laraque, who set up Jeff Taffe for what proved to be the winning goal.

1. The Teacher says:

Incredibly, I didn’t expect anything of that sort.

2. sidhu says:

Class act by the Habs organization paying respect to Mr Wittman

3. Will Longlade says:

Yes, they have the cap room to make the deal and a deal like that could pay short-run dividends. However, what I was referring to is how the deal would fit into the team’s long-term picture. If the Habs sign someone like Tanguay, how long do you think it will be until they are in exactly the same position as Calgary? In theory, I know that the cap is supposed to increase every year, but there wouldn’t be much wiggle room even if it did. IMHO, getting Tanguay would not be a good long-term decision for the team. That’s my two cents.

4. Habs-Kat says:

I think the Art Ross is going to be shared this season.

5. The Teacher says:

“If you’re Canadian, you have to love a Saturday night in Georgia” (Don Wittman), I remember him saying that, and laughing about it at the time.

6. sidhu says:

RIP Mr Wittman – I’ll always remember him calling the west coast games, the second half of the doubleheaders usually after the Habs played.

7. Chuck says:

It was tremendously moving, to be sure.

______________________________________________
    “A banner for Vezina must hang from the rafters!”

8. The Teacher says:

Anyone who is listening to Herb Carnegie’s story on CBC should take a lesson from it.

9. The Teacher says:

Which coincidentally is when a certain francophone superstar is available as an UFA ๐Ÿ˜‰

funny eh?

Habsprof – and we could cover Tanguay’s contract for next year when you factor in Smolinski’s $2mil (plus Ryder’s $3mil). After that, see what happens. We can always dump him at the end of 2009 if he doesn’t work out.

The Original 24 Cups

11. The Teacher says:

Hmm, wouldn’t be surprised to see teams offer him anywhere from 5-7 million. maybe he’ll go somewhere he can win? Detroit anyone?

12. Moey says:

All of your points are valid ones, no argument there, I just think people don’t cut him much slack. In all honesty, I don’t think he’s any worse that Shelly was defensivly, but the difference is fans liked him.

13. The Teacher says:

I’m already on record as saying the shoot-out sucks and the loser point should be abolished. I also think that there is nothing wrong with a tie. It’s a good way to reward two teams for a tough, hard fought game where neither could get that one play to shift the game.

might also the tie not encourage teams who thought they could have won to put forth a greater effort the next time to ENSURE the two points?

14. Habs-Kat says:

You figured me out ๐Ÿ˜‰

15. MikeMcLaren says:

An utterly shameless attempt to show the world how good you are at Guitar Hero, Habs-Kat!

Some of us in our ancient 30’s struggle on medium…

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

16. HabsProf says:

According to NHL Numbers, the Habs have about 4.3MM in cap space. Tanguay has a cap hit of 5.25MM while Ryder has a cap hit of 2.95MM. A straight-up trade is quite possible, consuming 2.3MM more in cap space, still leaving another 2MM wiggle room.

17. MikeMcLaren says:

A nice tribute by Scott Oake here:

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

18. Habs-Kat says:

Here’s my theory as to why Carey Price is stinking it up in Hamilton. The speed and skill level of the AHL is considerably lower than the NHL’s. Maybe in the transition, Price can’t synchronize his timing with the slower speeds. Its like when I play Guitar Hero, I play reasonably well on Expert, but when I downgrade to Slow, I fail really badly because its too slow for me. Or maybe I’m just making excuses ๐Ÿ˜‰

19. HabsProf says:

My apologies if someone else has pointed this out already, but I notice some other familiar names on the all-value list: Ron Hainsey, Mike Ribiero, and Francois Beauchemain.

I love and admire Bob Gainey, but during his tenure we have given away an awful lot of talent for near zero return.

20. MikeMcLaren says:

That really is a shame. He was a great and versatile broadcaster. No matter what sport he was calling a casual observer would assume it was his primary sport. He called games efortlessly and without some of the bias we hear from others.

He will be missed.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

21. showey47 says:

Quite possibly the greatest post i’ve ever read on this site.

22. J.T. says:

Well, with the Breezer, you don’t have to wait too long for him to screw up in some way. (Sorry, couldn’t resist batting that straight line outta here.) Look, I don’t have scorn for the guy, deep down or otherwise…I think he’s probably a decent guy and a great teammate. But my argument, backed up by watching every game this year, is that he is no longer one of the top six defencemen on the Montreal Canadiens. I think he’s a very handy player to have around as a guy who offers experience and as a capable injury reserve. He should be used sparingly to keep himself in game shape. But this is a team with a competition for every roster spot which will be even tighter when O’Byrne is back.

If you can honestly say that Brisebois is a better defenceman or can offer more than Komisarek, Markov, Hamrlik, Streit, Gorges, Bouillon or even O’Byrne, then fine, you can argue he should be in the lineup. But if you can’t honestly say that he’s better than the others, you’re in effect arguing that Carbonneau should ice a lineup featuring a player who’s worse than one in the pressbox. And unless you’re the 1977 Canadiens, you don’t win many games by playing less than your best.

I respect every player who wears the CH, because they’re my team and I want the best for them and from them. I just wish Breezer would realize complaining about not playing isn’t showing his competitive side…it’s disrupting the rest of the team. There’s a time to stand aside, understand you’re playing a new role and support the coach’s decision. For Breezer, that time is now.

23. Chuck says:

Or, to play Devil’s Advocate, perhaps Carbo was more comfortable with Brisebois on the ice against Boston’s best forecheckers.

Regardless, we won that game 5-2 so it’s hard to complain. ๐Ÿ™‚

______________________________________________
    “A banner for Vezina must hang from the rafters!”

24. Will Longlade says:

I agree, I’d take Lombardi over Tanguay’s $5.0 mil contract in a New York minute. The fit is great. He’s from Montreal and he’s a speedster. This trade would make much more sense and it wouldn’t handcuff the team financially later.

25. sidhu says:

Thanks for the clarification guys!

26. Will Longlade says:

Excellent observation.

27. sidhu says:

I agree entirely, and would only add that Breezer’s attitude is especially troublesome given the young nature of the team – the last thing the kiddie corps should be around is a disgruntled vet. They need to be mentored, not given a lesson in how to complain and disrespect the coaches.

28. Will Longlade says:

There’s no excuse for whining in earshot of the media (assuming the rumour is true), regardless of whether it’s his competitive side coming out or not. Why doesn’t he demonstrate his competitiveness during actual games?

Something I noticed during the Habs-Bruins game a couple of weeks ago is that opposing coaches are putting their best forecheckers and scorers on the ice whenever Breezer is out there. If you watch the tape of that game, you’ll notice that the Hab’s were hemmed in their D-zone about 90% of the time Breezer was on the ice. The coaches watch the tape. I’m sure they know all about this.

29. Moey says:

Good grief J.T, you really have nothing but scorn for the Breezer. Even when you try to say something positive about him, deep down you’re just waiting for him to screw up in some way.

Poor old Breezer, he won’t have any peace until he is off the team.

30. Ian G Cobb says:

JT– Any player that does not say he is unhappy not playing is not one i would keep around. But he is a pro.and he will deal with it. Who said he was complaining about it? Or was it gossip mabe?

31. Will Longlade says:

Although I haven’t crunched the actual numbers, I would be surprised to learn that the Habs could add another player with a fat $5 mil contract and still be able to accomplish resigning their core players over the next couple of years. Besides, I have always liked Ryder as a player and when he’s on his game, as he was in Atlanta the other night, he’s as much of a scoring threat as Tanguay and plays with more of an edge. If the Hab’s were looking to trade a bunch of players for someone, I would prefer they go out and get Dustin Brown.

32. Chuck says:

The other way to look at it is that his competitive side is coming out. He obviously feels that he’s still got something to offer this club, and is simply frustrated about not being allowed to do what he loves to do the most: play hockey.

It must be a tough situation to be in, regardless of what Gainey said was expected of him when he signed.

______________________________________________
    “A banner for Vezina must hang from the rafters!”

33. wd40 says:

If my calculations are right, the Oilers have only 9 regulation wins in 49 games (lowest in the league); and they’ve won just over 70% of their OT games with 12 OT wins (11 of which have happened in the SO).

We’re in 19th spot with 18 regulation wins in 46 games, and we’ve won 43% of our OT games with 6 wins (3 of which have happened in SO).

34. J.T. says:

I’m not impressed to hear Breezer’s complaining about not playing. If reports are true, it’s the second time in a couple of days he’s made his displeasure known within earshot of reporters. It’s a far cry from the “I’m just here to help in whatever role I’m given” player Gainey signed to finish out his career in Montreal. He doesn’t contribute more than Gorges on the ice, and if he’s going to be a disruption off it, I think he should be cut.

35. Rugger says:

For what it’s worth, I just saw on a Pen’s site that Conklin is not starting tonight.

36. saskhab says:

“Half” (not really that much, but we’re using hyperbole) of the Oilers points were earned for winning the shootout, not losing. They’re brilliant at it, and seemingly play close games to get to the shootout. It seems to be an element of their strategy.

The rib with the Oilers is what their record would look like without the shootout… they’d have something like only 6 or 7 wins this year and be a team with a ridiculously horrendous record.

For reference, shootouts league-wide are down somewhat significantly this season from the first two years, BTW. I don’t think games that go to OT are down that much, though.

37. Chuck says:

The problem with the “loser point” system is that it was brought in to artificially tighten up the playoff races. While on paper this might seem like a good idea, in reality it just makes it more difficult to catch teams ahead of you. For example, at the start of Buffalo’s 10-game losing streak they led Toronto by 2 points. Even though the laffs got a couple of wins over that stretch, the were still trailing Buffalo by two points at the end of that losing streak.

And imagine if you had to try to leapfrog several teams.

______________________________________________
    “A banner for Vezina must hang from the rafters!”

Teach – I can’t imagine anyone would give him $8.3 mil like he’s getting this year in New York. I wonder what he would go for in the open market? Maybe he’ll resign with the Rangers at a lower cost.

The Original 24 Cups

Teach – And he did it with class and dignity. His ego never got in the way like some of today’s announcers.

The Original 24 Cups

Timo – Hate to say it but our beloved Habs are tied for the NHL lead in that department!

The Original 24 Cups

41. The Teacher says:

EXXX-ACTLY.

However, I would hope Lidstrom has more class than to do that.

42. Moey says:

Good memory, I just remember Shelly:)

Likehoy – In essence, this comment that you just posted has indirectly deleted it for you (intention wise). Another way to approach it is to go back to that original comment and click on ‘edit’ and modify the comment or just stroke it out entirely so that it’s totally blank. Just a thought.

The Original 24 Cups

44. Chuck says:

I think that Sidney Crosby Bobby Clarke’d Sidney Crosby’s ankle. ๐Ÿ™‚

______________________________________________
    “A banner for Vezina must hang from the rafters!”

Hey Teach – Not belabouring the point but it’s just that I’m coming in late on this post. I totally agree with you and stated so on this site weeks ago that something fishy was going on in Anaheim. I don’t buy for a minute the notion that these two players needed all this time to decide whether they would come back or not. Burke had it all worked out and now he has the same guys returning with their extra cap space going to Schneider and Bertuzzi. The only major piece he’s missing from last year is Penner.

What’s to stop Detroit from having Lidstrom ‘retire’ next year so they can sign Brian Campbell and then have the Swede conveniently return in February.

The Original 24 Cups

46. Ryan says:

It was Plekanec who stole it from Crosby, leading to a two on one with Shelly the other way, further leading to a pass from Pleks to Shelly to a one-timer top corner.

47. Uwey says:

But remember Latendresse is a RW, shifted to the LW in Montreal. Plus A. Kostitsyn has also played the RW, but at this point, I would say his position at LW is pretty much solidified for the rest of this season with Kovalev & Plekanec.

I have been reading on several boards, fans saying they wouldn’t trade for Tanguay. Well IMO, turning Ryder into a warm body that can score between 70 & 80 points with Stanley Cup experience would be quite an accomplishment by Gainey.

48. likehoy says:

i tried to delete my comment cause i meant it as a joke but realized it was a little offensive but i can’t…

i was just joking i don’t really want to end crosby’s career…jsut the ankle injury…and the max lapierre bit with crosby…made me think of bobby clarke…

49. The Teacher says:

I’ll agree to disagree ๐Ÿ˜‰

50. The Teacher says:

ohh…..k…

That was bizarre coming from you Like-hoy!

51. Moey says:

Actually I think it was in overtime, Sid was being cockey and careless and my boy Shelly skated off with it and scored. It was brilliant.

52. likehoy says:

someone should bobby clarke crosby’s ankle

53. likehoy says:

nah still don’t think it’s fair. I already discussed this with a friend and he figures that players who want to get around this deadline should sign contracts and just be placed on the IR…or to sign a contract and then let the team suspend you so you can just sit and think (like niedermeyer did at the start of the season). There are a lot of ridiculous situations to get around the salary cap. Putting a deadline would just make GMs get more creative and become a circus. If anything the organization (aforementioned in my previous post) should be in charge of their players, not the league. Give the players the benefit of the doubt, mistreating them is the start of problems. I doubt the NHLPA would even go for that. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be given a deadline on making a career decision.

54. sidhu says:

If my memory serves me correctly (I admittedly had a lot of Carbo brownies at the beginning of the year), Sid gave the puck away in the third period leading to a Habs GWG. I’d love to have heard what Max said to Sid the Bib after that….

55. likehoy says:

i’ve been pulling for the habs to pick up lombardi since last season.

it’s doubtful that it will happen. Lombardi has the wheels, but he doesn’t have much of an offensive upside to be honest, but can be extremely dangerous in an aggressive penalty killing role. I wouldn’t mind the kid, but if he’s not good at face-offs, forget about it.

56. Mattee. says:

Steiner, I couldn’t agree with you more. My favourite games last year were watching Lapierre terrorize the baby all night. I got such satisfaction.

57. howtathor says:

Sorry to hear that…I think of him mostly for CFL but he did a lot of other sports too.

58. Mattee. says:

Aww, Cindy is out tonight… i’ll send her flowers.

59. howtathor says:

I agree with you. A scoring center like Lombardi would be just the ticket. I think Calgary is trying to do a salary dump with Tanguay and they have to sign Huselius and Phaneuf to long-term deals. We too have to sign Higgy, Komi and Pleks before they become RFA.

60. Steiner says:

The only reason I’m a little upset that Sid went and got himself injured is because I’m going to miss watching Lapierre yap in his ear all night.

61. sidhu says:

Spector’s is reporting that the Habs have “more than a passing interest” in Alex Tanguay. I generally enjoy the speculation regarding the Habs’ potential moves, but here, I don’t think the acquisition of Tanguay makes sense for us principally because we already have three scoring LWs: Lats, Higgins, and AK46. I don’t think we would move any of these players to other positions and I hope we wouldn’t ship any of them in exchange for Tanguay. Plus, I don’t think Tanguay plays on his off-wing. So as much as we want a scoring forward, as a practical matter I don’t see it happening.

Then the question becomes why we are scouting Calgary. My hope is that we are looking into Matt Lombardi, who I think would fit in very well with Higgins. Obtaining Lombardi would be consistent with Mr Gainey’s statement that we are in a “youth movement.” We could accommodate Lombardi by moving Smoke to the right side (or placing him in the press box).

Anyway, I just thought I’d put this out there since we need something to talk about before the puck drops tonight! Go Habs Go!

62. Habs-Kat says:

On the bright side, we can focus more of our attention to Malkin who’s been hot lately.

63. sidhu says:

Too bad, so sad, Sid the Bib.

MikeL, you have the icon of the day!

64. The Teacher says:

WINNIPEG – Don Wittman, whose smooth baritone voice called some of Canada’s most signifiant sports, has died of cancer. He was 71.

RIP Don.

65. Chorske says:

Pittsburgh is a decent team without Crosby, what with Malkin and Gonchar. Unlike Washington, they do have some scoring depth beyond their top guy. But the Habs are unvelievably, miraculously healthy (knocking on f*ing wood here), the top line is on fire and we’re on a roll as a team. I think we’re shaking off the home game doldrums. All in all, I’m pretty confident of success tonight.

Of course, that’s easy for me to say. My job tonight is to watch the game, drink a few beers and sit on my arse.

66. The Teacher says:

I disagree with you Likehoy.

It’s a way to get around the salary cap. That must be curtailed or else it is not even anymore, so what’s the point of the cap then?

I don’t think you understand what perspective I’m coming from. I think Burke is laughing, not moaning about Selanne. If he comes back he helps them, if he doesn’t, he doesn’t help anyone else.

for an injury, sure..but not to retire and then come back to get out of salary cap hit.

You wanna take a year off, fine, but make sure it’s a year. enough of this Roger Clemens crapola copycatting. The NHL isn’t as big a joke as Baseball is. At least not right now.

67. likehoy says:

i don’t agree at all with the deadline.

Brian Burke shouldn’t even bother waiting because Selanne is a UFA…and he built his team as if neither selanne or niedermeyer would return, so he has nothing to bitch about, although considering that his team did suck until niedermeyer came back, he might want selanne back too, but it’s out of his hands.

The deadline is ridiculous, a player should be entitled to all the time he wants to recuperate, retire, or take a year off. It isn’t as if ANYONE cares about Jason Allison at the moment. Even Cujo taking time off was low-key. Only because people actually want Selanne on their team that they make it a big deal. The organization is to blame for this situation. They themselves should have set a deadline and if it’s not met, then too bad wait till next year. Who says selanne can’t retire this year and just come back next year anyways? Only Brian Burke and the Ducks are moaning. I don’t hear much about other teams moaning about Forsberg taking his time, they are actually excited to find out IF he’s going to come back.

Though the weight on both stories are a little different, forsberg definitely wants to be back and selanne is still unsure, they are both on the brink of retirement, would you force forsberg into a deadline despite really wanting to come back cause selanne is being a little bitch?

68. wd40 says:

I agree. i’ve been following that story (and Forsberg – though that story is different) on and off and I have to say that it’s a little bizarre to think these guys could still lace ’em up this season, and if luck would have it, even get their names engraved on a Stanley Cup ๐Ÿ™‚

69. wd40 says:

With 56 points, we’re in 4th place in the East behind the Sens (64), Devils (55), and the ‘Canes (50) in the relatively weak South East. Obviously it gives some teams (markets) an opportunity they otherwise woulnd’t have come playoff time, but personally, i’m not sure I like this rule.

I have a bad memory, does anyone remember when they stopped doing a straight top-8 ranking in the conference?

70. The Teacher says:

Interesting infor.

RW Jaromir Jagr. It appears unlikely that the option year of Jagr’s deal will be triggered because he’s well back of the pace to reach the required benchmarks, which means he will be an unrestricted free agent at season’s end.

71. The Teacher says:

Dreger (I thought it was McKenzie) on TSN has a good idea, I’m all for it.

The “will he or won’t he” game we’re all playing waiting for Teemu Selanne to determine his future is entertaining because Selanne has proven to be both a quality and impactful player.

However, I’m sure Brian Burke and the Anaheim Ducks are growing tired of the uncertainty.

What might be needed is another deadline. An annual cut-off date on the calendar whereby players have to declare their playing intentions.

72. nick says:

That really sucks for Sidney. I feel bad for the kid, hope he pulls through alright…. Tomorrow. Today, i want the Habs to school the Pens in hockey… and if Crosby isn’t there, it’s one less thing to worry about.