New kid on the block

Mike_Boone

When training camp opens next month, I’ll be a full-time member of the Gazette Sports department.
After four seasons of splitting HIO and City column duties, it’s going to be hockey, hockey and more hockey for me.

Specifically, it will be beefed-up attention to Hockey Inside/Out, plus some columns and other stuff for the Gazette sports section.

I’m looking forward to spending even more time absorbing the wisdom of my learned colleagues – Messrs. Fisher, Hickey and Stubbs – plus hanging withe the Montreal media crew who cover the Canadiens.

Hey, if the Commentariat have any ideas about things they’d like to see on HIO or in the paper, let me know, either by Commenting on this post or dropping me an email: mboone@montrealgazette.com

It’s going to be a fun season.

1. weiweiss says:

hello,welcome to http://www.proxy4biz. com,i hope everyone will more like them because of there have more nice top goods and cheaper price in there,thanks

2. issie74 says:

Congratulations Mr.Boone!

NorthTOHab

3. Rush says:

Fabulous news, Mr. Boone!

Both for yourself, and for us…

Sincerest congrats, and keep up the great work!!

4. Puck Bard says:

That’s great Mike, congrats. But I always loved your city columns.

5. HugeHabsFan says:

Congrats Mike! Couldn’t think of a better guy! Looking forward to seeing more of you at HIO! :)

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

6. JohnBellyful says:

‘Beefed-up attention to Hockey Inside/Out’? That’s goon talk.
    On the other hand, I suppose this site could use an enforcer.
    Here’s a few of the guys you need…oh, you already got a list.
    Okay. Well, then, congratulations, Mr. Boone.
    And don’t take no guff …

7. NLhabsfan says:

Mike that great…always look forward to your hockey insight.

8. HABdriven says:

Congrats Mike! Looking forward to more of your analysis and witty commentary over the coming season.

9. Chester says:

Nice work.
    Good to see a local kid doing this.
    We have a tendancy of giving these jobs to Americans,
    freezing out the local boys. Looking forward to this.

10. habsfan0 says:

Mazel Tov, Mike!

First order of business: Put wheels in motion to change name of this site back to “habsinside/out”

I’m confident that you can accomplish this with your uncanny powers of persuasion.

11. Mattyleg says:

Hey MB, congrats on the new assignment!
    Lucky you!

I agree with Habies that it would be cool to do a piece on Habs fans across the globe.

I lived in Europe for 10 years (specifically Ireland and Poland) and did my darndest to follow the Habs in the dark days of the dialup modem. I was actually the one that contacted Stu Cowan about possibly doing a play-by-play blog back in 2003.

Overseas fans have some good stories to tell!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. Habies says:

I add to the echoes of acclaim ripping through the timezones. Well deserved Old Boy, though the city pages will certainly miss ya…

Practically, I would propose you do some occasional pieces about Habs fans connected across the world via cjad.com, HIO, and general emails to Rick Moffat or yourself. Have a few personal anecdotes of how we wake up at gawdaful hours, many of us having to turn on generators, convincing expat barkeeps to put on a hockey game instead of Sri Lanka vs the Windies in cricket, how privileged we feel when we get to see 30 seconds of hockey highlights once a week on BBC World Service, or how we are all affected positively or negatively by the dreaded one hour daylight savings change which either makes us have to wake up one hour earlier to listen to a game (those in Asia), or being able to go to bed at 2:30am instead of 3:30am (those in Ireland).

Let the Gazette’s readers, grannies and nannies know how relevant hockey still is to so many of us across the world and how it’ has generally become our primary connection to home… even if the majority of the rhetoric on this site is morphing into childish jabs of uncensored dwithering plith.

You know, I first lived Tajikistan for 2 years and took 3am busrides to the UN office to listen to games as it was the only place with internet, then in Afghanistan for 3 years wrestling with my generator and relishing the +30mins time difference from Tajikistan, then in North West Pakistan with a controversial satellite uplink to just get blips of the score, and now I’m in Myanmar able to listen to games from 7am at my office desk, nearly feeling civilized. none of thes eplaces ever allow enough bandwith to watch a game, so I barely know if DD skates like St Louis, how tall Gill really looks, how short all our front lines are, what Martin’s expressionless face never does, or how sick Carey’s saves are. However, I did come home this year for 2 weeks and took my wife to one game (which I bought in Sept 2010!) for International Women’s Day: March 8th. Yes, the game of the MaxPac hit.

It’s all real out here. Please represent us Mike.

Matthew in the Myanmar Monsoon -

What a Great Post! The passion of fans we have all over the Globe is tremendous!

• HugeHabsFan says:

Agreed!

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

• suttontom says:

Great Work Mike !!,
      and very good post,” Habies.”
      I live in New zealand now,an ex-pat and old goaltender from Mtl. and I’M still on dail -up !!
      So to read you, Mike, and imagine , like on the radio with Danny Gallivan, or Dick irvin, in the old days, but at 10am. the next morning, Live,
      is a rush …
      However, sometimes it’s very frustrating, as i want to know more…
      My only request, for those reading, is that you don’t assume that we ‘ve seen the play !!
      Back to Habs inside/ out , i say !
      . Although maybe not possible, it would,maybe, keep some of the riff -raff (Bruins and laff fans) OUT !!.
      I followed every game last year, and i think we are on the right track. Time will tell, injuries are huge, but i’m optimistic !! Great looking D.
      Boone- on !
      Cheers, tom

13. Mr.Hazard says:

My first comment in months! To say: really happy for you Boone, you deserve it!!

14. geo_habsgo says:

Congrats Boone! I’ll miss your regular column (the first column I ever read as a young teenager) but I’m excited about your full-time commitment to the sports department.

One thing that I would suggest to do would be to maybe give us a breakdown on the other team on game days. This could be done through interviews as some have stated or through features on a notable opposing player, coach etc. I know feature writing takes a lot of time to prepare and is usually Stubbs domain but it would be cool to get to know our “enemies” so to speak from time to time.

Speaking of player spotlights, it would be neat to see you interview a few players in a more conversational setting like maybe while they share a drink with you or something (you know what I mean a more laid back atmosphere). It would be an interesting switch to the conventional shove a mic in their face after practice shtick and would probably yield some awesome banter.

These are just small suggestions however. Love what you and the tea are doing! Keep it up Mr. Boone.

15. Mike D says:

Congrats Booner! Until about two months or so ago I didn’t actually know you did anything else for The Gazette. Then I stumbled upon one of your city pieces. To be honest, it was very well written and I was quite impressed with the column.

Happy to have you covering the Habs/sports full-time, but I think the Gazette is losing something on the other end.

– Honestly yours

16. jew4jah says:

mazel tov mike…
    you’ve found you’re true calling. the live game blogs were great last year. they really complimented my watching experience. with the computer screen up near the tv, it felt like you were another one of the boys on the couch.
    i would however like to see (hear) more puckcasts. they started out being fairly regular & then mysteriously dropped off in frequency over the years.
    keep up the good work!
    chara = חרה

17. punkster says:

Great news Mike. Usually enjoyed your city columns but your strength is definitely on the Habs side of life.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

18. 100HABS says:

Congratulations Mike. I think it’s long overdue.

I hope you can still find time to write the eeeeeeeeemail … in order to keep the LLSJ honest and alert.

19. Marc10 says:

Awesome. Congrats! And to think you’ll see a parade in your first year… :-)

What I’d like to see more of:

– More player interviews with questions around how they approach the game – training, mental prep, how they react to success and setbacks, bios, funny stories (I’m always interested in what makes people successful athletes/people beyond the obvious…)

– Interviews with opposing player, coaches, GMs and media covering other teams to get a sense of how they rate Montreal without the rose coloured glasses

– HIO Cup to replace the Molson Cup (we vote on the stars after the game and Boone awards the winner something meaningful from one of the Commentariat’s garage, pool room…. I think I can probably dig up something… maybe a kangaroo scrotum keychain — seen as a sign of good luck by some here in Oz…)

– a day in the life of…

– more videos

– Interview with Brad Marchand after PK destroys him (again)

Just some random thoughts… Good luck sir. Very cool job! Now back to my excel spreadsheets. Yuck!

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

20. VJ says:

Is it bad that when “hear” Boone’s voice when I read what he writes, that I “hear” it in the voice of that dog from all the live game blogs??

Congrats on the promotion! Looking forward to a good year!

21. Castor says:

Way to go Booner!! And it’s going to be a good year for the Habs! I can feel it!

22. Propwash says:

Congrats Boone!

Mike I hope this is good news for you. You add a great flavour to this page as I think we all view you as one of us with credentials. Please don’t take this the wrong way, I say it with the highest regard. None of us have media credentials, but we are all passionate and represent the diehard fans of this team. You have the unique ability to represent the “fan” and also represent the media.

Continued success in your new role. Cheers!

24. nova scotia vees says:

Sounds good. As a unilingual Habs fan, I would love to see some of the french articles translated on this site. There are alot of folks in TROC that can’t speak french, but would love to read some of those juicy french articles.

• shiram says:

There’s always google translation tool, it’s not perfect but you’ll get what the gist of the article is about.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

Speaking also as a unilingual fan as well, I think NS Vees has a realistic question/request. Yes Google translate is available, but that does an injustice to both the interviewer and interviewee.

• shiram says:

Fair enough.
          But it seems weird to me to ask the Gazette to translate news from other publications.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

I specifically am thinking of the local french papers/media. I do always translate to read these, but can’t help but feel at times I am missing the gist of the story. I think specifically this past summer when Karl (I think that is his handle) has translated some stories regarding Lars Eller. His translation of the stories were so much better to read than what Google provides.

Obviously it is far to much to ask Mr. Boone to translate every article, but I think he understands the ebbs and flows of this team enough that time to time he could provide an accurate translation.

Still can’t wait to try some Poutine in Mtl this Nov. at Summit based on your recomendations Shiram!

• shiram says:

Having done a little bit of translation myself, some years ago, I know how annoying it it to do, else I’d try to do it on here….

Anwyays, I’m behind on the poutine stuff, but hopefully I’ll have figured out my best poutine place before the summit.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

Shiram, appreciate the dialogue on this subject. While I did take my French all through school, I didn’t do well with it, despite watching every Habs game on French CBC growing up when it wasn’t on English Network. I have always had this weird twisted guilt that I dont speak french yet Passionately love the Habs and no one I know doesn’t know this.

I so appreciate when folks like you take the time to translate any current stories from French to English. I really enjoy many of the articles posted here from the French Websites, and just always worry I missed something in the translation.

Cheers my friend!

• shiram says:

French is harder than english. I learned alot from the early Simpson’s actually, and wanting to understand lyrics from music.
            I’ve alaways been in advanced class in english, even though I got horrible grades for french. Both have slipped some since.
            Anyways, if you feel you’re missing something from some links, just ask about it, I’m pretty sure someone will help you, if I don’t get to it first.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

25. VancouverHab says:

“The labourer is worthy of his reward.”

Congratulations, Mr. Boone: that’s great news all around.

Now, if they have at the same time cut Jack Todd…then I’m in sport journalism Heaven.

Félicitations to the headmaster!

27. Hobie Hansen says:

Boone Rules!

Since everyone was talking about how much they love fighting, here are a few favourites of mine!

The Corson vs Nolan fight is awesome. Wish we had a guy like Corson today!

GO HABS GO!

28. kempie says:

Go Boone! Congratulations.

29. ed lopaz says:

adding Boone is exactly what we needed,

he is big, he writes with a gritty edge, and he is not intimidated by Boston reporters.

Im not sure about how well he throws them, but thats easy enough to check on hockeyfights.com

30. GenerationYHabs says:

Think the site needs a small Whack-A-Chara game on the side somewhere to kill the time waiting for any late summer news.

I’m pretty sure a stantion would make a pretty good mallet, what about you guys?

Great. More Boone. (rolls eyes)

32. HabFab says:

Mike, congrats! Realize a few years have gone by since the early Star days and although I have enjoyed your other work as a columnist, feel this is were you belong! Good luck!

33. PeterD says:

Congratulations on the move Mike…well done. I noted that you neglected to mention getting to spend more time with Chantal…
    But this move mean you will travel with the team on away games? Will you have to take the puppy with you on the Road…just so many questions and logistics.

Here’s a segment idea for you…how about segment titled “A Dog’s Breakfast” where you dog provides his/her unabashed critique of the Canadiens play the night before when they really crap the bed and stink the place out…hey these things happen…hopefully they are rare and far between….

Best of luck Mike, as always I look forward to your pithy and insightful commentary on all things Habs.

34. ProHabs says:

We want the New comment feature back on HIO. If you could just do that for us, you can screw the pooch with the rest of your time. Congrats.

35. Thurston says:

Congrats, Mike.
    I’m looking forward to seeing even more of you on this site.

36. Gratz booner, btw, there is an issue logging into certain HIO articles when using safari 3.6.19 on OSX, if ya could pass that onto your web dude

37. slychard says:

Congrats Boone and have a fun season. How old is Red anyway? He must be hitting the century mark soon.

38. JD_ says:

Congratulations, Mike.

You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, well, you get what you need…

39. christopher says:

boone writes about other topics…?

• Bouleau noir says:

Boone’s a true renaissance man only his beauty sleep’s needs keeps him from writing in more than just one section at a time for the
      Gazette.

40. Max_a_million says:

We would like to see cheerleaders please!

I mean they have them in Tampa right.

Maybe some polls would be interesting to garner the popular sentiment.

41. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Congrats Mike! Look forward to reading and hearing more of you!

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Congratulations Boone!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter