Never in doubt

Can’t this team do anything easily?

First consecutive wins in a month.

1. petrov14 says:

uhhhhh… Are you telling me to wait?

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

2. larisalapointe says:

Lars Eller seems to be trying to grow his face.   hahahahaha

3. Josh says:

Not even Subban is getting his regular PP time anymore.

4. andrewberkshire says:

The team is icing 3 top 4 defensemen right now, but with the amount of injuries beggars can’t be choosers.

Here are some sobering numbers:

Jaroslav Halak 19W 17L 6OTL 2.63GAA .907sv%

Alex Auld             5W  2L  1OTL 2.61GAA .915sv%

And you people want to bring up Sanford?!?!?!?!

Alex Auld is the number 1 back-up. Sanford is a career minor leaguer.

As well, for all those crying about how Halak is so amazing. Well he isn’t even as good as the Habs back-up net-minder who’s played half of his games colder than the ice surface he skates upon.

Give your heads a shake people!!!

😉

6. bwoar says:

So Weber out, Paul Mara in.  So glad we hung on to this fine young D, there aren’t enough youngsters in the pressbox these days.

7. Shiloh says:

I think it’s fair to give Gauthier a pass with regard to yesterday, but he should be judged closely as to his moves this summer.

8. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Does it really matter what PG or any Montreal management actually does?  They’re gonna get criticized for whatever they do.  If he had gone out and made a deal, sure as hell there would be peeps criticizing them over it.  It’s a no win situation.  I mean just look at this place.  We’re comfortably in 6th place and look at all the incessant ninnies who post here every day bashing the team and management,  just think for a minute if we were out of a playoff spot?

9. Chuck says:

It’s obvious why they brought in MacIntyre. Sanford will be Carey’s next backup, so they’ll need another G for the ‘Dogs.

10. likehoy says:

if we were not in a playoff spot, it would be easy to just suggest to trade off all asset to garner draft picks and rebuild…aka tank.

but this year, there’s no Tank Campaign, so we gotta give it to the habs brass for putting us in a good position heading into the final 20 games.

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

11. likehoy says:

I would honestly pick up Jose Theodore as Carey’s next backup.

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

12. Exit716 says:

Chris Campoli? Come on. The guy is horrible. Geez, if you’re going to criticize Gauthier, at least present a plausible upgrade on what the Habs acquired previously.

13. punkster says:

I think Sanford is injured hence the trade.

***Subbang!!!***

14. Maksimir says:

Loaded Bruins? Oh they’re loaded alright but not with good players!

15. merch says:

That Chris “Suitcase” Higgins line made me laugh my ass off. Kudos, Mike!

16. habsfan0 says:

Why was Pedneault dropped as colour man on RDS? Surely he’s better than a laughing Oy! Oy! Oy!

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Good news about tonight, famous Habs killer Rich F Peverly isn’t a Thrasher anymore. Albeit we still have to face him with the Bruins and their pack of degenerate thugs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

18. G-Man says:

Get rid of Houde and Benoit “Ayoi” Brunet and replace them with Martin McGuire and Danny Dubé.

19. SLYDER says:

Can’t say I agree with you, Boone.

Auld has looked too hot in his few starts this season (granted i missed saturday’s game against CAR). I think PG  may call up Sanford and give him a try. He is likely in better game shape coming from a starting role and – despite the jump to the big leagues – may be more comfortable than Auld. And if so, perhaps he gets one or two consecutive starts, keeping Carey rested for the playoffs.

This could be why PG brought in a goalie for the Bulldogs….

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Sanford is injured, hence why MacIntyre was acquired in case it’s long-term.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

21. mbplekfan says:

Chara would be our #2 defenceman and Lucic would be the power forward we are missing. strange comment.

22. 21BIGGionta says:

Personally i hate the new format of live blogs because i work tuesdays,thursdays and saturdays….and the format isn’t phone friendly…so i can’t see anything 🙁

23. Greg says:

For everyone who thinks we should’ve traded for Dustin Penner (a 1st and Tinordi is ridiculous, btw), here’s some interesting stats:

Dustin Penner (2010-2011) GP-62  G-21  A-18  PTS-39  HITS-55

Andrei Kostitsyn (2010-2011) GP-62 G-15  A-18  PTS-33  HITS-102

So the big, physical forward that we would get (while giving up a 1st rounder and a 6’7″ defenceman) has half as many hits as AK46 and 6 more goals.  I don’t know why Penner is so overrated. I guess it happens at every trade deadline or free agency period, the best player available must be a superstar, otherwise TSN won’t have a reason for us to watch 11 hours of amusing banter from James Duthie.
    If there was a deal to be made that would’ve improved the habs without mortgaging the future, PG would’ve done it. Who were the big players? Arnott and Penner? Campoli? Are these guys that will bring the Cup home to Montreal? I think not.  Let’s wait and watch Eller, Patches, P.K., Weber and Desharnais improve instead of trading for the sake of trading.

24. ed lopaz says:

I’m not sure Auld’s numbers would hold up against 42 decisions as halak has.

Also, Auld has been big, bald, and bad lately.

25. Captain aHab says:

Lost in all the trade deadline noise was the move the Habs should have made:

Offer a 1st round pick to Boston for Greg Campbell, instantly turning the refs in our favor.

26. Greg says:

Interesting stats. Auld has been everything we’ve needed him to and more. For $1 million per year, is there a more economical goalie combo in the NHL than Price-Auld?  I doubt it.

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.” -Gordie Howe

27. joeybarrie says:

Did anyone tell Yvon Pedneault that the Habs have 8 healthy defensemen signed and one who is due back in 4-6 weeks?

Why would we have gone out and gotten ANOTHER D?

Hamr, Wiz, PK, Gill, Sopel, Mara, Weber and Picard…. two of them we just picked up and haven’t even seen 3 full games from them.

We need someone who can consistently put the puck in the back of the net.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

28. Sehs says:

Arnott could have been a good addition especially come playoff time. That being said he wasn’t a necessary addition. I also get the impression he doesn’t want to come to Montreal.

29. Mr. Habs says:

Carey did bail Alex out of two games so far, so his record would have been 5-4-1

There was a certain sarcasm in my words hence the winkie smile.

Nevertheless, those numbers for Auld are not so bad and it is my opinion that had he played more frequently they’d be even better.

I never supported the numerous starts Price has had. It belies a lack of trust in the rest of the players IMO. It also puts Price in a position where his mental fatigue cost a few games.

There are 20 games left. Auld should start more than 2 of them is all I am saying.

Next season Price shouldn’t play more than 60 games either.

31. Bill says:

Quality vs. quantity? How many of the Habs D are 5-6 on a decent team?

Full Breezer 4 Life

32. Bill says:

Is there any chance of going back to the old game blog? I used to love being able to review the whole game by quickly scanning Boone’s entries. Seems a lot harder to do now … I find myself mainly looking at the comments in recent weeks.

Is there a technical reason for the new style?

Full Breezer 4 Life

33. punkster says:

I suggest he get a new camera and some decent lighting though. He’s starting to look like a character out of Night of the Living Dead.

***Subbang!!!***

34. _Habsoloutly_ says:

It gives Boone the ability to post up the video segments.  He’s been dying to be a movie star all his life and this is his chance.  =)

35. Habitoba says:

I agree with you on that. I’ve never been much of a commentator until I’ve had to read the comments to get more feel for the game. Not that I don’t like writing up comments with you guys, just a strange effect this new blog has had.

36. sidhu says:

We could have traded one of those D as part of a deal for a better one.   Weber, for example, is sitting out tonight and he played ZERO PP minutes last game.

37. TomNickle says:

Is there a reason Jacques disregarded his win and you’re in philosophy?  Mara sat last game, we won, now Weber’s out and Mara’s back in.

Wonder what Subban thinks about that?

38. sidhu says:

I think he’s losing some confidence in Weber to play his characteristic PP role.  Weber played ZERO mins on the PP last game.  So, why not bring in Mara who is more of a defensive guy and is bigger.  Plus Mara is a L shot who can line up more naturally with the R shot Sopel.

39. bigjack says:

Totally agree – I used to follow the blog on my Blackberry, and now that’s been taken away.

When I would work late, I would PVR the game and then forward to the times in Boone’s Blog on my phone in a “Canadiens Express”-like fashion…

Smartphone users are the highest growth area, yet HIO seems to be focusing only on those who access the blog with a PC/laptop…Even accessing the blog on an iPad is buggy.

I think others would agree that since the mobile site was introduced last year, the experience of accessing HIO through a smartphone has become worse and worse…Less functionality, forced redirects, no comments, and now, no Blog.   🙁

40. Castor says:

GO HABS DARN IT!

41. Natrous says:

My vote is agreed.

42. Natrous says:

Well said – I hope Weber can put on some size & weight this summer, and that PG is compelled to resign him at a really good rate.

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Did anyone tell Yvon Pedneault that the Habs have 8 healthy defensemen

Yes. I did but he probably doesn’t read H I/O.

44. Danno says:

Me too.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Mike Boone is the man as far as I’m concerned, but I miss the old format just like Bill does.  I also wish we could post links like we did before.

It bothers me that the site has taken a step back, especially seeing that it has nothing to do with the  hockey writers, but rather the IT aspect of the site.

I trust that it has nothing to do with money.  Considering the success of this site, the Gazette should be spending right up to the cap.

46. Duracell3 says:

Clickable links I suspect were a security concern.

47. OneTimer says:

“Mike Boone is the man as far as I’m concerned, but I miss the old format” — I agree with this sentiment.

48. OneTimer says:

How about just Brunet? I like Pierre Houde…

49. habs-hampton says:

I agree. I used to review it after each period, and sometimes during commercial breaks. A great read! I miss it.

50. mbplekfan says:

Weber is not likely to get any bigger. The plan should be to bring him along slowly and hope that he turns into a Kimo Timonen type player. It will takes years as he needs to see a lot of games to learn to play with that size disadvantage.

Probably will be a platoon guy for another year at least.

51. petrov14 says:

I was in Italy for 3 weeks. Whats this ‘new blog format’ everybody is talking about?

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

52. Danno says:

Mike! If you hold a flashlight under your chin you’ll get better lighting for your video. Bon match!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

53. Danno says:

You’ll see…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

There are 30 teams in this league.

Here is where we place this week, compared to last week.

As our goals against have increased, so has our place in the standings dropped from 9 place to 12th place this week, in the over all standings.

We have bolstered our defence up with acquisitions this week. That should help out this stat some next week.

Goals Against–  164.   We are in  11th place.   Last week we were in 10th place with  143 against.

Total Points—-    73.   We are in  12th place.   Last week we were in   9th place with   69 points.

Goal For——–  165.   We are in  25th place.   Last week we were in  28th place with  154 for.

55. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Good move Martin…Mara and White in…..Pyatt/Web out, that about 150lbs of strength and at least a foot of height added…excellent, Atlanta is a goonery squad…. its not enough for March 8th, but willl do for tonight.

1:The N.A.G.S. (North American Grit Speed) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2: 02/09/11 never forget the masacre 3. ..call up WHITE/SHULTZ/HENRY/PAX now.

56. gmd says:

I also miss the old format.  I can’t follow along on my blackberry anymore.

57. Danno says:

Scott Gomez is #839 in the +/- category. He’s almost last out of a list of 849.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

58. petrov14 says:

I hate to be ‘That guy’ but does anybody have a link for the game?

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

OUCH ! Danno.

60. GuyDoon says:

I know there’s a joke somewhere in there: Boone’s “old format”! think, think, think….

61. petrov14 says:

WHOA! All of my links are dead! What happened in the last 3 weeks?

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

62. Josh says:

It should be more of a test for Martin to actually play Desharnais on the road.

7:00 PM EST

64. Danno says:

He’s been falling steady and is the worst player in the +/- category among teams currently in a playoff spot.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

My links are blacked out. There is a US Federal badge that comes up saying the links are blacked out by Home Land Security.

Do they think we are in Lybia ?

66. AH says:

So right Bill, it was great for those of us at the other end of the country who rarely get the Habs on TV as it is.

Maybe he needs to see the team schrink.

68. Mike Boone says:

I’m working on it.

69. SeriousFan09 says:

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Will it work on his double chin Danno.?

71. NoTinFoilCups says:

I know where you’re coming from. I’m shelling out $10 a month for a JustinTV account. Hate to have to do that with the internet but it has been well worth it.

72. petrov14 says:

AWESOME! you da man!

Thanks

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

73. andrewberkshire says:

Maybe I’m just tired, but this flew right over my head.

74. Mr. Habs says:

I pay $3 per month for RDS HD

75. larisalapointe says:

I didn’t get it either, did he mean beard? It’s so Boonish.

Never in doubt

Closer than it should have been

1. RGM says:

Halifax would be interesting but a logistical nightmare. Arena is too old and too small, and the time zone thing would mess up TV scheduling. You think they had problems in Hamilton getting a deal in place for the Tiger Cats? That would be a cakewalk relative to the opposition that would be mounted by the “NO TO EVERYTHING!” party out here.

2. Sheldon says:

I am a native New Yorker and could not agree with you more. The fact that Quebec no longer has a team is a travesty. I’d rather see an old barn filled to the gills with fans there than a new arena in the tri-state area that is half empty. I miss the Nordiques. I really think that their return would actually boost the performance of the Habs. Rivalries do that. (The Leafs? Please. Most of the people who enjoyed that one are spending time with The Almighty.)

3. petrov14 says:

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

4. punkster says:

Exactly what I asked for a few days ago. Excellent work. Bottom line, lazy penalties killing us as so many here have been saying.

Now, who will be the first to blame JM for the lazy penalties?

***Subbang!!!***

5. joeybarrie says:

It’s doubtful that hey can get the same support as some other cities due to location and size, but i always thought Halifax would be interesting.

My personal fav would be Quebec City, it’s beyond me how this Province has only 1 team and the NY area has 3, LA has 2 and Florida has 2…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

6. punkster says:

And scores a goal a game more than the Habs. More TOI with a team that scores way more goals you’re bound to pick up points. Not taking anything away from OB because I loved the guy. For an offensive team he’s a perfect fit. For a defensive team not so much.

(and there’s that damn goal a game fact again!)

***Subbang!!!***

7. Sheldon says:

I may be a Habs fan, but I still like the NY Rangers’ victory song, it’s kinda jaunty:

I can’t stand that Statue of Liberty crest though.

8. TomNickle says:

Quebec City or Toronto, no other viable options.

9. petrov14 says:

“Cheque will not be honoured” lol

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

10. punkster says:

Let’s see…um…uhhh…hmmm…

***Subbang!!!***

11. Danno says:

NHL.com has stats on just about everything. But you’re right. They don’t provide very much detail about penalties. I wonder why? You did some great work Ted. Thanks a bunch.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

12. PeterD says:

Assuming Bettman and company stop hating Canada, wheere would like to see a new franchise and why that city…Winnipeg, Hamilton or Quebec…or is there another city you would want to see a franchise in.

I know…Toronto may be on a lot of peoples minds afterall they haven’t had a NHL team in a long time… 🙂

13. Danno says:

You da man Big Ted. Nice work.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

14. PeterD says:

It could get real interesting in Montreal is Karri Ramo agrees to a contract this summer wtih the Habs.  It may not be good if we have two young talented #1 goalies…so maybe Karri becomes trade bait for some skill or high picks…

Of coure the KHL is not hte NHL and I am not convinced the competition or pressure is at a level over there as it is in Montreal and the NHL.  So Karri may be having a great season over there but still struggle here.  But we will see, he may not even sign with us but instead agree to stay over in Russia.

15. PeterD says:

I always liked O’Byrne…size, reach, could skate decently..had a few developmental and confidence issues…but I put those on the organization for not playing him and jerking him in and out of the line up and JM not really having confidence in him.

After he scored into our empty net you could tell it was over for him in Montreal…but many many D-men score into their own net atleast once…but still stick with their team and go on to have great long careers…

I am very happy for Ryan that he has found a home where the coaching staff has belief in him and his potential.

16. spos080808 says:

You are missing the point. Webber was in Hamilton but was DEPTH! OB would have been in the pressbox while Webber was PLAYING in the AHL. So what good would have it been to keep OB in the pressbox? Zero. And it made no sense for him to be in the AHL also.

The Habs had their top 6 all set and healthy. And already had depth in Picard/Webber. So they clearly made the right call at the time.

17. New says:

It is a  blog post. You know what is funny about Montreal is the rumours. RDS starts the drum-em-out mill up and fans read this *stuff*. That doesn’t bother the players. What bothers them is when fans or friends ask them about this *stuff*. You’d almost swear the Montreal sports press was controlled by the Bruins or Leaf interests.

18. HUDSONHAB says:

Although teams always want to give young players a chance to cut their teeth, make mistakes and learn on the job, coaches who want just to win will not stay with a young player with OB’s mishaps because they havn’t really seen what he is capable of unlike a veteran guy.

….Hab4life….

19. andrewberkshire says:

Which young player actually noticeably improved under Carbo?

20. Mark C says:

Yes, 19 games with a knee injury at the start of the season, then 7 games when his mother was ill.

O’Byrne was never really benched last year (until the playoffs), it’s just a lie anti-JM people like to spread.

21. RJB says:

Cheer up Boone, I picked the Ravens to beat the spread. So if I end up winning I’ll send you a (postdated) cheque!!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

22. New says:

You know I think AK is playing exactly as the coaches have been telling him to play. When he gets a chance he knows they want him to shoot. He looks like a player who needs to shoot when he wants to, not when told to. Overall his game is solid. They will trade him though for a rental probably, then if he is lucky in the team he goes to, he could light it up. Heck of a heavy shot.

23. Bill says:

I doubt it will shock you to hear that I feel you are speaking to the same problem … coaching. In addition to being unable to deal with young players – will Subban ever regain his offensive game? – The System pretty much ensures that this squad will not score much.

Did you faint with surprise? I know, I’m a Martin-basher, I refuse to seek help.

Full Breezer 4 Life

24. New says:

I’m hoping Bournival works out. I think it was just that O’Bryne was big.  To smaller people he probably looked slow. But O’Byrne appeared to be a good player who might arrive late, or be what he is good enough to play, rugged enough to stand the grind, and a quick learner. The thing is that when things are going good for anyone they think the parts they are not using aren’t needed. I guess O’Byrne was. Maybe someday Bournival will be.

25. Rugger says:

He did play 55 games last year, and if I recall correctly wasn’t he also hurt for some of last year?

26. Bill says:

Carbo was good with young players. I shudder to think how Plecanek would be doing if Martin had been his coach. AK, Gorges, Sk, and even Latendresse did pretty well under him too. AK will be traded, and I can’t believe anyone doubts that he will suddenly start lighting it up, while continuing to hit.

So O’Byrne doing well suddenly is no big surprise. Now, an effective stay-at-home D-man is not an irrecoverable loss, but it is significant. And unlike you, I’m not optimistic about the return. A 5’11”, 179 pound LW putting up decent numbers in a soft league, drafted in the third round … his odds of making any impact in the NHL are pretty slim. Tell me I’m wrong, I’d love to be. But Bournival is a 10% maybe … O’Byrne is a definite NHLer. So in this trade we lost size, and certainty. Not a shrewd deal.

Full Breezer 4 Life

27. New says:

There was never anything wrong with O’Byrne. He didn’t fit with this regime. Another time and he would be fine. Now he is someplace he fits. Other teams build teams around players. They work on the strengths the players bring. A shooter is surrounded by people to get him the puck, a passer by shooters. Right side D-men play the right, not the off side.  In Montreal it is all about the system right now. Even the Quebecois they draft or acquire are 20-25 goal minor league scorers groomed to be journeyman team players. Look at Lapierre. No way is he a star, but he is a NHL player in the bottom third of the league developed by Montreal to be just what he is.

28. zak says:

Totally agree. Hated the trade when it happened.Dumb trade.Was this trade brought on by JM or was it all PG’s astute judgement of talent

29. JIMVINNY says:

It was Kozlov’s stick that Gorges put the puck onto.  I remember that play, and thinking it could seriously hurt his chances of sticking with the team.  I’m damn glad that wasn’t the case.

30. zak says:

Karri Ramo voted to the KHL all star team

31. CHsam says:

Regarding OByrne… what I don’t understand is why at some point last season he was still getting benched when Markov and Mara were injured. Correct me if I’m wrong, but was this what we were going with? :

Hammer – Spacek

Gill – Gorges

OByrne ? – MAB

Am I missing or forgetting something ? You would think that JM would use the guy more.

32. keepthefaith says:

Finally starting to think you were wrong about OB? How was in not obvious to anyone that he was WAY better than Picard. What a joke it was to trade him . Sure its easier to say that now that we lost Marky and Georges, but it was pathetic how he was handled here. Guy makes one mistake and hes stapled to the bench and that clown MAB flopped around on the ice making mistake after mistake and never missed a shift. Good on OB.

33. zak says:

I’m sure he was well liked in thr dressing room and the players didn’t understand why he wasn’t given a chance and why he was always being benched esspecially against Philly when they needed a big blueliner. I wonder if these kinds of things would undermine the confidence the players have in the coaching of JM Some of his moves just don’t seem to make sense.

34. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Excellent posting.

35. Chuck says:

It’s a lot easier to be +13 when your team is capable of scoring even-strength goals.   🙂

Centre Hice: Bruins blogger gets racial on PK Subban

36. Big Ted says:

My apologies re: those two gentleman. I also realize Jackson is from Montreal, but I left him out because he’s not a French-Quebecer, and that is the group that several teams/American networks have accused of playing favorites towards the Habs.

37. Propwash says:

I’ve got my fingers crossed for Cammi to light it up tonight.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

38. Big Ted says:

These statistics don’t tell us whether we are getting hosed by the refs or whether we are an undisciplined team. I suspect that on occasion, each plays a role. But these are definitely the calls that are more subjective. There should in theory be less subjectivity when calling delay of game or high sticking or kneeing, but as we’ve seen this season, there have been a fair share of these calls missed too.

What I would find interesting now would be to go back through the stats from previous years to see if any of these trends persist (in terms of the type of penalty we’re taking or in terms of the refs who are calling them).

39. le_vrai_jacques says:

And Furlatt is French Canadian, born in Trois-Rivières

40. Big Ted says:

No, I went back through the game sheets and as I said, this only tells you who the refs were in the game, not which of the two actually made the call, but to a point the refs are responsible for what goes on in a game they ref in. It’s the best we can do without actually having the league give us the info (which I’m sure they don’t want us analyzing) or watching all the game film to find out.

41. ArmyFan says:

Outstanding post – very well done.

The only comment I would make is that the “Category 1” penalties include the most subjective types of penalties. This includes my personal favourite, which I’ve mentioned on HIO before – the inconsistent interference call when a defenceman gives the forward a little shove on a dump-in.

The questionable hooks, holds and trips are all part of this as well.

Whether or not it’s intentional, coincidental, or simply a subconscious act by the referees, it just seems that the Habs get penalized on more of the borderline calls, where other teams seem to get away with it.  I realize I’m biased (as we all are), but I honestly feel this is the case.

O’Byrne is a great example. How many times did he find himself in the box when he wore the CH for these types of penalties? But suddenly he’s a golden boy in Colorado?  He’s either COMPLETELY changed the way he plays in his own end, or something else is at play.  And we all see what Pronger gets away with, as another example.

Just my two cents – and worth only that.

42. Born in a Bad Year says:

Weber was in Hamilton.  Not an issue.

O’Byrne should have been rotated in to the lineup.  Gill, Hammer, Spacek and O’Byrne taking turns in the box,  not as punishment but as rest.  Picard could have kept the hotdogs ready.

43. Hockey Socks says:

TSN also said Sergei Kostitsyn was in the lineup on Plekanec’s line a couple of weeks ago. I never take their word for anything. But nonetheless, I’d prefer Lundqvist only because I want the Habs to be able to beat opponents at their best.

44. Graves says:

Way, way back in the day in a game against Atlanta, when Carbo was coaching and Gorges was in his first season with the Canadiens, Gorges made an absolutely atrocious error coming out of his own end in a game against Atlanta. He put the puck directly on an opposing player’s stick, leading to a breakaway and a goal against. Carbo had Gorges back out on the ice the very next shift.

Now, I actually like the return Gauthier got for O’Byrne. I think Bournival’s a solid prospect with a good shot at making the NHL. But can anyone honestly say that O’Byrne ever got the kind of shot that Carbo gave Gorges? Any and every mistake he made ended with him stapled to the bench, soon to be shuttled off into the press box. The most telling part of it all to me are the interviews O’Byrne gave after he was traded. Unlike Latendresse, unlike S. Kostitsyn, O’Byrne didn’t bitterly slam management or the coaching staff or act like a spoiled child. The guy just sounded confused, and more than a bit down to be leaving Montreal. By all accounts, he worked his ass off in practice, never made his benching into a distraction for the team, and yet he still never got a fair shot at cracking the lineup.

Like I said, I do like the return the Habs got, but I can’t help but wonder – especially looking at O’Byrne’s stats in Colorado and especially reading Sacco’s comments about him – why he was traded in the first place.

45. joeybarrie says:

Its so easy to simply come back and say that the team was wrong about a certain player. But that coin has two sides. The only example I will give is Grabovski. First line center on a team that is fighting to not give Boston a top 5 draft pick. Look at his points, he is doing well. On a team that is at the bottom of the league. So in that respect you can EASILY SAY look what we could have had??? So if you want to pick and choose, we could have ended up with this:
    SK, Grabovski, AK
    Latendresse, Moore, Higgins
    Kovalev, Lapierre, D’Agostini
    Dandenault, Metro, Chipchura
    Komisarek, O’Byrne
    Spacek, Boullion
    MAB, Souray

Then we would be getting the 1st round pick for a long long time….
    All I can say about O’Byrne is two things, first and foremost I am glad he is getting good minutes and doing well, I like him and hope he has a long career. Second is look how great Komi looked playing with Markov… Now that he is in Tank for Boston city we are seeing a different 4.5 million dollar player…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

46. Propwash says:

*LIKE*

It is par for the course that people here thinks we’re getting jobbed by the refs. It’s part of the fun!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

OT – Not to mention that Tampa plays Carolina tonight while Atlanta takes on Dallas.

As Mike Boone states, “a chance to salvage the week.”

48. arcosenate says:

There’s no shame in blowing it up and building it from the draft and not just a mish mash of free agents. Two decades without a cup is incredibly bad in my opinion, where’s the honor in that?

49. zak says:

Go to Habsaddict.com Great article

50. Chuck says:

Yeah. A post like that has no place on HI/O.   😉

Centre Hice: Bruins blogger gets racial on PK Subban

I agree with your 2nd last sentence, Dave.  Three years from now is a great time (in terms of contracts and players’ ages) to step back and really look at what G&G have done.

At that point in time we will have gone over 20 years without a Cup.  Not even a sniff.  No more renos, it will be a total tear down.

BT – How good is this post?  I think Mike Boone should save it and make it a thread for an off day when the Habs aren’t playing.

It’s so easy to say that the refs are biased and hate the Habs.  Thanks for taking so much time and effort to really study the subject in detail.

As Dave mentioned below, it’s stuff like this that keeps bringing us back to HI/O.

53. Bill says:

Very interesting. Supports what has been anecdotally observed many times, that the Habs are done in by interference-type penalties.

We have all noticed that the Habs are called on BS interference-type penalties a lot, but they also commit a great many of these legitimately. I’m sure Campbell has the word out to the zebras that the Canadiens are a “dirty little hockey team” and their reputation feeds the calling of unwarranted penalties.

Stop the hooking/holding and eventually the BS calls will stop too.

Why do they hook and hold so much? It could be a by-product of the size issue, getting over-matched in the D-zone. It could be mental error … it could be stupidity … or maybe we just have a bunch of dirty little players 🙂 I love them anyway.

Full Breezer 4 Life

54. Exit716 says:

Larue is American. He’s not French Canadian.

55. spos080808 says:

You do know that trade went down when everyone was healthy.

(1) Markov, (2) PK, (3) Gorges, (4) Gill, (5) Hammer, (6) Spacek, (7) Webber, (8) Picard.

So where exactly did OB fit in there? He NEVER would have been in the lineup unless one of the top 6 was injured. The Habs had so much D depth so letting him waste in the pressbox made no sense.

Yes hindsight is 20/20, but again, who saw 2 season ending injuries occuring. The trade made all the sense in the world when done.

56. Bill says:

O’Byrne is +13 in his thirty-odd games with Colorado. To read the reports, he’s playing a strong, stay-at-home defensive game, and he’s picking up more and more ice-time.

Losing an effective defensive d-man isn’t the end of the world, but it’s not nothing, and of course the worst part is what it says about this team’s ability to evaluate, coach, and develop young players. As part of a bigger picture that includes Grabovski, Kostitsyn, Latendresse, and others, it’s what you would call a Damning Indictment of management and especially coaching vis a vis young talent. On the other hand, it does make Timmins look a little better when these guys he chose actually turn out to be as good he thought … even if it is somewhere else.

I would imagine it’s a trend that has not gone unnoticed around the league and hockey in general.

Full Breezer 4 Life

57. OneTimer says:

Give it up, there’s no honor in tanking and the Habs are better than that. If we win, I want it to be without being rewarded for consecutive seasons of deliberate suckitude.

58. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Mike,

Any chance to add a “vote on posts” feature in future?

thx

59. OneTimer says:

Hell of a game in Boston, and Pittsburgh wins in regulation. Noyce!

60. dhenry1234 says:

tsn is saying Lunqvist is in net. True or false? I heard we were getting their backup.

Wow. Researched, well written, premises amd sound arguments supported by numbers and stats and a conclusion.

It is comments like these that keep me here and draw my attention. Good stuff BT.

A1+

62. showey47 says:

Where did u find which actual refs made the calls for/against us? Is there a website?

I argued that point last season until I was blue in the face and along the way got accused of being a tanker, not a true fan, was told I was in favour of purposely losing and was reminded that the Habs don’t tank because if they did not only would hell freeze over but the rioting in Quebec would be so severe that Quebec separation from Canada would be imminent.

That’s why the Habs play a defensive style of hockey. They have no choice. No Stamkos, no Tavares, No Taylor Hall, no Kane, no Toews, nobody. Oh along the way there’s a lucky PK Subban and a Carey Price and hey they even got a #4 Pouliot for a traded up Latendresse.

We’ll see. I am giving it 3 more years after this season and if the Habs are still languishing in the middle of the pack I will start a full scale offensive to promote the Habs finishing in the draft lottery for a few seasons.

If by then the Bruins, Caps, or Oilers win the Cup or if Pittsburgh or Chicago repeats I will re-embrace the tank in advance and in full force.

64. ProHabs says:

No, that guy doesn’t deserve to wear the red, white and blue jersey of the Habs ever again. Plus, once we get rid of this Kostitsyn, I don’t ever want another one on this team.

65. Big Ted says:

Bad penalties have often been our downfall this year, so I
    thought I’d go back through our scoresheets from this season and try to
    tease out whether this is the case or not and whether our penalty
    troubles can be attributed to indiscipline or to a handful of unfair
    referees. The Habs are the team both this year
    and last that have had the largest negative difference between the
    number of PP’s they’ve had and the number of times they’ve been SH, so
    either we’re terribly undisciplined or the refs are unfair to us or
    both. Here are some interesting stats when you look at the penalty
    situation this year:

– Excluding fighting majors, misconduct penalties, and penalty shots,
    as well as penalties after the end of the game, the Habs have been
    penalized 202 times this year and our opposition a total of 172 times.

– We have had 20 games (nearly half) where we have been penalized 5 or
    more times. We have won 9 of these games and lost 11, decent when you
    think about it, but a record that would not get a team into the
    playoffs if maintained for a full year.

– In games where we take more penalties than our opponents, our record
    is 10 wins and 13 losses. In games where we take fewer or the same
    number of penalties, we have 14 wins and 7 losses.

I further broke down the penalties we are taking into groups:

1)Penalties that are often due to laziness or being out of place (Hooking/Interference/Tripping/Slashing/Holding)
    2)Penalties of aggression (Roughing/Charging/Cross-Checking)
    3)Penalties that are often dangerous in nature (High-sticking/Boarding/Elbowing/Kneeing)
    4)Penalties that are often due to a lack of concentration (Too Many Men/Delay of Game/Diving/Unsportsmanlike Conduct)

In category 1, we have been penalized 123 times and the other teams 92 times.
    In category 2, we have been penalized 42 times and the opposition 48.
    In category 3, we have been penalized 19 times and our opponents 19 as well.
    In category 4, we have been penalized 18 times and our opponents 13.

The issue then, if we look at is more closely, is not penalties of
    aggression but penalties that we are taking because we are out of
    position or don’t put in the effort to move our feet(31 more than our
    opponents) and penalties due to a lack of concentration (5 more, but in
    a category where there are few penalties, that is almost 50% more than
    our opponents’ totals). This, in my mind, speaks volumes to issues
    reflecting a lack of effort and focus on the ice and these are the
    types of penalties that should be easily correctable.

***

With respect to referees, we all have our favorite targets for who we
    believe target our team the most, so I decided to look into it. I won’t
    report all the data, as this would make this post even longer, but I
    will give you some of the salient features (again just for this year,
    although I would like to look back at previous years too).

In terms of the number of penalties given out in games where the ref
    was one of the officials (doesn’t mean he necessarily made all these
    calls himself but it’s the best reflection we can make from pure
    stats), the refs who were most in our favor were:

– Dave Jackson: 17 penalties against the other teams, 11 against us in 4 games
    – Francois St-Laurent: 19 penalties vs. other teams, 15 vs. us in 3 games

The refs who made the most calls against us…:

– Mike Leggo: 24 against us, 16 against opposition in 4 games
    – Frederic L’Ecuyer: 24 against us, 16 against opposition in 4 games
    – Greg Kimmerly: 22 against us, 14 against opposition in 4 games
    – Tom Kowal: 11 against us, 4 against opposition in 2 games
    – Chris Lee: 17 against us, 12 against opposition in 4 games
    – Eric Furlatt: 15 against us, 11 against other teams in 3 games
    – Chris Rooney: 22 against us, 18 against opposition in 3 games
    – Justin St-Pierre: 16 against us, 12 against opposition in 4 games
    – Marcus Vinnerborg: 6 against us, 1 against Detroit in 1 game

However, what might surprise most people is that we don’t necessarily
    do poorly in games reffed by the guys giving us the most penalties. We
    are 2-1 in Furlatt games, 3-1 in Kimmerly games, 2 and 1 in Rooney
    games, and 4-0 in Lee games! We do seem to do poorly in games where
    Kowal (0-2), L’Ecuyer (0-4), and St-Pierre (1-3) were reffing.

And if you add up our record under the French-Canadian refs (L’Ecuyer,
    St-Pierre, St-Laurent, Auger, Charron, Hebert, Joanette, Larue), we are
    11-12, a record which is well below our record in games not involving a
    French-Canadian ref. We have had 108 penalties assigned to us in those
    games, compared to 95 handed out to our opposition, showing that there
    is really no bias in favor of our team in those games.

I hope to be able to look at similar stats for past seasons but if
    you’re looking at refs from this year who have been culprits in terms
    of penalizing us, the list is above, so you can judge for sure which
    guys you should be complaining about when you see their names.

66. zak says:

maybe he could trade him for his brother

67. zak says:

trevor timmons would probably pick the wrong guy

68. arcosenate says:

Watching Pitt-Bos. Pitt has great depth at centre, Crosby, Malkin, Staal. And it’s Stall who has picked up his game to replace Crosby.

We should finish last for a few years, get some high draft picks, restock and win some cups.

I am beginning to think it’s impossible when you draft 20th or so most years.

We could chat about baking and such on this site until we put a big, talented team together…

69. zak says:

Joe Sacco the head coach loves him.Tells you how much you know. What’s Picard doing? Is he plus 13 and playing 20 mins a game? Dumb trade.

70. ProHabs says:

Hey Boone,

If you see Pierre Gauthier at the game tonight, can you ask him why he hasn’t traded AK46 yet. Thanks.

71. Gindan69 says:

I have watched a few avs games and its the same old O’B. Bad turnovers, soft on the boards, dumb penalties. Not sure why his numbers seem better on paper, but on the ice, its the same. If anything he gets away with more BS in denver. He can get away with crosscheck in front of the net and hold in the corners far more then he was able to here. Maybe the old microscope is bright for refs when they show up here also.

72. OneTimer says:

Man…if the playoffs started today, I like the match-ups. I think JM could actually outcoach Boucher defensively against the Lightning in a best of seven, and despite their loss yesterday I like the Thrashers’ chances against our nemesis, the Flyers. If someone knocks off Philly, we have good chances of going to the SCF.

73. sidhu says:

Wrong about OB, wrong about SK74, wrong about D’Agostini?

Yes, they did not put up the same numbers here, but it begs the question: why didn’t they succeed here?  What is it about their new environments that allowed them to flourish and that precluded them from doing so here?

It has to be more than simply time/development — OB’s case demonstrates that, as he’s flourished immediately after being moved.

Never in doubt

JARO!

JARO!

JARO!

1. B says:

I didn’t say anything, I simply posted some more recent (this year) stats. Sorry if that offends you.

2. coachdoug says:

Oh yeah right…have a Philly Cheese Steak…and by all means pack a firearm of choice!

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

3. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re playing in Philly doug.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. coachdoug says:

Mike…no booing specific players…only the team if they start stinking up the joint!

Have a couple wings at La cage for all of us watching it on TV….

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Wearing Kevlar under it?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. coachdoug says:

Ditto

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

7. coachdoug says:

I loved you in Happy Gilmore but not as Habs GM…Price is not worth as much as everyone in Montreal thinks…We would have to give up more than that…

I think if they ever trade Price he will go to a Western conference team so if it goes well we won’t be constantly reminded of it

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

8. MikeMcLaren says:

Heading off to the game shortly.

Wearing my jersey.

Hoping not to be permanently maimed or killed.

Wish me luck! 🙂

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

9. coachdoug says:

Yeah that was a little over the top…I don’t think Martin meant any malice…he is just vanilla ice cream plain…no emotion…like Dr Spock behind the bench…the last part of his comment is about as passionate a support any player will get from JM…

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

10. New says:

Flyers are about the same?

11. Bob Barker says:

If they do end up trading Price I hope it’s to the Flyers for Carter + Van Riemsdyk. They’ll probably ask for top-six in return though. I think Price+AK46 might work. Both teams get better.

Van Riemsdyk is projected to become a point-per-game player and Carter is good for 40+ goals if he stays healthy.

Even if Price ends up being better than Halak down-the-line, I still like this trade. Flyers are desperate enough for a franchise goaltender they might do it.

12. Chuck says:

Makes me wish that Tom the Human Punching Bag was still on the team.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

13. ShangaDoo says:

Agree 100%.

14. bradleyboy says:

Sign him Pierre, he already has the size!

15. Mike Boone says:

I’m not as indignant as my ma David is bout the coach’s comments. It’s not exactly the antithesisof Bob Gainey calling the paying customers “gutless bastards” for booing Breeze.

16. Number31 says:

Another fanned opportunity from coach Martin. Yes we know both goalies are good. However considering what happened the previous game, if he had any cojones the kid would be playing tonight and Jaro could maybe show us that he can stand up to the new Buffalo Sabres tomorrow (who they may be playing in the playoffs) considering he hasn’t fare very well against them this season.

It makes no sense.

It could have been a nice rallying point for the team. It would have allowed the team to send their own message. It could have been a nice message to the trolls in the rafters.

Instead, the kid will probably play tomorrow and will have to score a hattrick and post a shutout or the trolls will throw a fit.

17. andrewberkshire says:

Especially since I’m pretty sure Shero didn’t do the drafting for Malkin, Fleury, Crosby, Whitney, and more. Plus I’m pretty sure his predecessor is also the one who signed Gonchar. Shero if anything, swooped in to take credit, while putting an ever increasing amount of bandaids on the lack of wingers problem.

18. habs fan from stonyplain says:

Thank you habsfan in victoria I can’t stand negitive uneducated hockey fans on this site, like the last game against the canes price was hung out to dry and they blamed him for the loss are they going to blame him tonight if we lose even though he is on the bench.

19. andrewberkshire says:

From watching NHL game-center live, Kunitz and Guerin have been with Malkin for a long time. Guerin still takes regular shifts with Crosby as well, but Kunitz, not so much, except for on the PP sometimes.

20. Big Bird says:

With respect – I think tonight’s game is a must win.  We have problems with the Sabres all season, the Leafs are also always up for us.  There are no gimmes in the final 5 games.  But whether the team makes the playoffs or not, they are still in the thick when all the pundits said they wouldn’t make it and this in spite of the raft of horrid injuries.

21. andrewberkshire says:

Still irrelevant. The games in the playoffs don’t involve sub .500 teams. Stop grasping at straws.

22. habs fan from stonyplain says:

if we cant beat the flyers with the waterboy in net then we don’t deserve the playoffs

23. Tis Himself says:

Well, if there’s gonna be blood, we all know whose will be spilt.

24. habs001 says:

4 of those wins vs boston

25. JIMVINNY says:

So what are you saying?  That wins from the first half of the season don’t count?  Get real.

26. coachdoug says:

Mike…if all the controversy you can muster is…”there will be blood”…You need to take a page from your boy Stubbs who has them in a feeding frenzy on the main page with the Martin comments thing…

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

27. coachdoug says:

And the post season stretch for the Habs is like a new born baby…constantly crapping in their diapers…

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

28. coachdoug says:

He is coming from the Swiss Elite league though…

Two of my favorite things are Swiss…Good Chocolate and Mark Streit (a.k.a. the one of the many that got away)

They are pretty desparate…we have had injuries, just not goaltender injuries…unless fan abuse can constitute an injury

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

29. B says:

How many teams that can’t beat those sub .500 teams are going to be in the playoffs?

30. AH says:

I don’t care how lousy their goalies are, they’re playing the Habs tonight, and that means our pop gun offense will make whoever they put in net look like a worldbeater as usual. ANOTHER must win (how many of these have we had to date??), and we’re in Philly’s building, it does not look good. Why?, this is the one team that has consistently pushed us around and intimidated us all year, and I don’t see that changing tonight. I hope I’m wrong, but the only way we win tonight is if Jaro stands on his head, and the one or  MAYBE two goals we score hold up.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

The Flyers Goaltender Story: A New black comedy coming to a theatre near you.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

32. longtimehabsfan says:

Following this team down the stretch is like watching your wife going through labor for two weeks.

33. coachdoug says:

Philly might have a suprise goalie tonight:

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Eklund’s site is always good for a laugh after the trade deadline, desperate for traffic and subscribers so he just starts spinning stuff that’s too ludicrous for him to post when there are the possibilities of trades occuring.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. MikeL says:

Eklund only says that because it makes sense in his pea brain, and not because he actually has sources telling him that. That’s all his rumors ever are – trades he can see happening.

If I was Eklund, my guess would be Price (or Halak) is traded to the Flyers for one of their abundance of wingers. Simon Gagne, Claude Girioux, James Van Reimsdyk, or *gasp*, Scott Hartnell.

36. Exit716 says:

Don’t worry, Eklund says Price is headed to the Devils in the off season.

37. MikeL says:

I wouldn’t wager one cent on the Sens. No chance they beat the Devils or Penguins in the first round. They’d have a much better chance falling to 6th and playing the Sabres, who they’ve owned. But I doubt that will happen looking at the standings today.

Plus Brian Elliott = Patrick Lalime, Damian Rhodes, Ron Tugnutt, etc – just not good enough to win when it counts.

38. SlovakHab says:

Ward, Brodeur and Miller are not 2nd string goalies. I think we are one of the teams who don’t play No.2 goalies too often (correct me if I’m wrong)

39. K-hab25 says:

We better, Jaro didn’t look to good the last time we played PHI getting pulled in his last start before the Olympic break.

40. showey47 says:

I find it funny how shero gets all kinds of credit for building his team through the draft but can’t seem to draft a winger to play with crosby. When was the last time they drafted a top 6 winger? Ryan malone? That was back in 1999. Perhaps colby armstrong but that may be a stretch. But i guess as long as you have malkin,crosby and staal you can afford to trade picks for wingers every year.

41. B says:

This year, 2010, vs current East playoff teams:
    Halak has 4 wins in 10 starts (40%).
    Price has 2 wins in 7 starts (28.5%)

42. HabsFanInVictoria says:

How about hoping that they win tonight.  Would that foil your plan to hate them unconditionally?

43. K-hab25 says:

Hey missed you EBK. I love this post. I’m a stat junkie. Really no suprise to me that Price has played the good teams better, but very surprising how poorly he’s played the bad teams. Maybe a lack of focus or preperation. I don’t know, but what it does show is that when the kid is focused he can be a top level goalkeeper. It also illustrates what I’ve been saying all year, the difference in Halak’s season and Price’s, goal support. There records are ruffly 10 games apart, 24 W’s for Halak 13 for Price. During the season the team has scored 3+ goals for Halak 24 times and 14 times for Price, almost exactly there win totals. In 22 of Halak’s 24 wins they scored 3+ goals. While in 10 of Price’s 13 wins they scored 3+ goals. It also shows neither goalie has a good record when the team doesn’t score atleast 3 goals, I guess Halak isn’t superhuman afterall, just a mortal man, just like Price.

44. andrewberkshire says:

How many sub .500 teams are going to be in the playoffs? Just sayin’

45. andrewberkshire says:

It’s an interesting question, but over the course of an entire season it’s largely irrelevant. Teams go through hot and cold streaks, but over an entire season their play averages out, and teams who don’t make the playoffs are still likely bad teams (especially in the east), whether they were on hot streaks or not.

46. showey47 says:

Kovalev for conn smythe?

47. ooder says:

really? I was sure that Guerin and Kunitz were playing with Crosby.. i mean that was thier line last season.

it’s just every time i see replays or parts of the game i see some no name 4th liner on malkin’s wing

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

48. light_n_tasty says:

So was Mike Brodeur…

But, I’m guessin’ we get 5 goals tonight.

49. ooder says:

hey I got a question about you stats.

when you say playoff team or .500 team, do you mean now or at the time that the habs played them?

——————

50. andrewberkshire says:

We’re in luck then Timo!!! Boucher is a 3rd stringer!

51. andrewberkshire says:

Malkin has been playing with Guerin and Kunitz almost all season my friend. Crosby has been with Dupuis and a rotation of others until Ponikarovsky came over.

52. ooder says:

hey man Timo is as emotional as they come…

you gotta take everything he sais with a Grain of salt. But this guy is a habs fan through and through

——————

53. Nicolas St-Henri says:

Great logic Timo = Ottawa put together a modest win streak after a long losing streak. Habs have lost a few after a long winning streak. Ottawa better than Habs. Ottawa dark horse out of the East.

Where do you make up such good material? I agree with others, you’re hardly a Habs fan, you’re barely a bandwagonner.

54. HabsFanInVictoria says:

GET LOST!  After your post the other day about wanting the Habs to get hurt, you’ve lost the little credibility you had.  Just give this surly, bitter, dark Habs fan schtick a rest.  You are just an idiot who is trying to stir the pot… don’t try and be smart once in a while, because it’s not convincing anybody.

If you hate them so much, stop watching.

55. Habscore says:

Haha!! Boone you’re so dramatic! funny stuff.

I really hope this happens..

“There will be blood.

Puck drops at 7:05ish, gloves at 7:07ish. “

56. ooder says:

the pens are now 5-8-1 without Malkin. Two of those wins came in OT.

without Malkin Crosby has been held scorless in 12 games.

While when Crosby goes out Malkin takes over and scores at a ridiculous pace when his wingers are NOT named talbot and adams

——————

57. HUDSONHAB says:

Did that actually happen? And if so, when?

Hab4life

58. HUDSONHAB says:

In three days Philly could be a non playoff team and Thrashers could be a playoff team, that would change the stats somewhat next week.

Stay tuned. Hab4life

59. HUDSONHAB says:

Halak is 11-1-1 vs Sub .500. Price is 3-6. Should’nt you beat sub .500 teams more than 30% of the time? I’m just sayin.

Hab4life

60. HabsfaninMA says:

Montreal really needs to come to play for THREE periods tonight. It’s not ok to drop this game just because everyone lost Thursday night. This team needs to prove it should be in the playoffs, rather than backing in weakly.

If they can’t score more than one goal against that goalie, they are in big, big trouble.

61. andrewberkshire says:

It’s really surprising that even in this breakout season for Halak, and atrocious season (by win record only) for Price, it’s still Price who has the better numbers and record against playoff teams. This is very worrying going into the playoffs.

62. makka83 says:

vs East Playoff Teams
    Halak    5    8    2    3.06    0.901
    Price    7    7    2    2.35    0.926

Montreal Goals per Game
    Halak    3.1
    Price    2.3

Okay, surely the numbers show that Halak is FAR worse than Price against the teams we will meet in the playoffs.

0.901 < 0.926!!! WOW. Price’s 0.911 is apparently MUCH worse than 0.922 which is Halak’s save %.

Not only that but Halak is getting 1 goal more! And conceeding one goal more.

Clearly Price plays MUCH MUCH better against playoff teams and he should start the playoffs.

63. makka83 says:

Oh and the reason why they play “better” when Halak is in nets is because they usually play crappy teams when Halak is in nets.. Look how many sub 0.500 teams he played…

u need to know how to read stats my friend!

64. makka83 says:

and Price is better against playoff teams.. you know the teams we will actually meet int he playoffs not the sub .500 teams..

This is not news either!

65. Steve in Kingston says:

GREAT POST! Very interesting.

Montreal is a much better team when Halak is in nets.  This is not news.

This also isn’t news: it’s a team game.

66. light_n_tasty says:

Do you have stats for # goals allowed in the third period / last 10 minutes / last 5 minutes?

67. Number31 says:

Seriously? If they don’t pump at least 5 past the orange goalie tonight, they don’t deserve their spot in the standings. Flyers are on their last leg of goaltenders. (Still managed to score 4 on Biron though).

68. ebk says:

someting that may only interest Chris

Overall Record

Halak    6    8    3
    Price    5    14    3

Time of game when Montreal’s 1st goal scored
        <3    <5    <10    <20    <40    >20    >40
    Halak    10    12    17    27    34    13    4
    Price    4    4    10    16    29    21    8
    ex. Montreal has score a goal in the first 3 minutes or less 10 time when Halak play

Time of game when 1st goal allowed
        <3    <5    <10    <20    <40    >20    >40
    Halak    5    8    17    24    32    15    7
    Price    2    2    13    24    32    13    5

Mtl’s first goal of game is scored on Average
    Halak    18
    Price    25

Oppositions first goal on average
    Halak    18

Halak    1
    Price    0.3

Opposition Goals per Game after 1st period
    Halak    0.9
    Price    1

69. BeachHabFan says:

haven’t posted on here since olympics, but the day off affords me time to join in the collective panic i’ve been reading about over the past week. given how bad they played the last two times v the philthy phlyers, i really hope they man up and get dirty in front of the philly net. big hopes for gomez/gionta/pouliot line and moore/moen/yappylappy.

70. Miltie01 says:

The top two lines will produce. Pouliot and Andre are the keys, they have to step up and help our smaller guys on the top lines. Pleks is playing hurt, Cammy is just trying to get his timing. Other than that the top lines are playing well and getting chances, and they will start to go in. Right now the other teams defensive coverage is better, and meaner. Goalies are upping their games…….yes it is that time of year !!! What we need most is the third and fourth lines, along with the defense to pitch in with some secondary scoring, something lacking since our six game win streak.

71. johnny boy says:

Poetic justice. They can’t seriously believe someone with an NHL career .892 save % will be enough to get them into the post season.

Flyers fans must be seriously pissed off at the team for balking at giving up a 2nd rounder for Halak.

72. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Cammy will come out hard tonight. If he’s not nailing one-timers on one knee, he’ll be doing everything in his power to help make space for Pleks and AK46.  Both Gauthier (his real GM) and I (his fantasy GM) will be very grateful.

73. habs001 says:

time for gomez, plecks  to start producing in big games …we have very few goal scorers on the team and in hamilton most of our prospects have an upside to produce 10-12 goals in the nhl…when you are tied with 2 other teams for 18th and tied for 22nd in scoring and last 5-5  you may have to consider that our talent level is not as good as we think…

74. RetroMikey says:

Crap will hit the fan tonight if we lose on this site.

Will it be a Good Friday or Ugly Friday?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

75. SlovakHab says:

The Flyers have signed Caron. However, he can play in the regulation season only.

Never in doubt

Against the worst team in the NHL.

Plekanec: Esay save

Potulny: Four great moves and Jaro saves

Gomez: Save

Horcoff: Save

Gionta: Backhand wide

Brulé: Post!

Pouliot: Save

Nilsson: Save

AK46: GOAL!

Gagner: Wide

Never in doubt

First win in the west.

Second win in regulation.

19th great game for Tomas Plekanec.

Never in doubt

Ho-hum, another loss in New Jersey.

5-2.

Not pretty … and a few worries heading into the All-Star break

Never in doubt

A good, hard-fought W.

Check the main site for audio.