M.I.A.

Personal business precludes attendance at the Bell Centre tonight.

Red Fisher won’t be there, either. He’s being inducted into the Quebec Sports Hall of Fame tonight.

No Boone + No Red = No reason to go on living.

But I’m counting on the Commentariat to amuse themselves during what should be a tough game against the Kings.

Jacques Martin worked his team hard at practice yesterday.

We’ll see … that is, you’ll see what effect it has.

Puck drops 7:35ish.

Have fun without me (as though that were possible!)

1. Wayne says:

LOL, true Hab fans employ auto-nard lockdown during games. Good to see you on the board at this time of night J.J. I’m diggin’ that Turku cam too. Thing is, the couple of times I watched it, the same guy rides a bike through the shot.

You sir have some excellent self control skills!!!!

3. Habies says:

And now it’s in the net, pumpkins!

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Indeed, Kirk should tap PK on the bench and remind him that’s one of the reasons Doughty is Top 5 in the NHL.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

5. Just A Guy says:

Hmmm Kostitsyn loked good on the point there on that 6 on 5. I wonder…

6. JIMVINNY says:

Tht was such an obvious penalty, but I thought for a second it wasn’t going to get called.

7. andrewberkshire says:

That’s funny, Kostitsyn just had a dominant shift.

8. andrewberkshire says:

Biggest difference between Doughty and Subban, Doughty uses a wrist shot.

9. VancouverHab says:

Cammi not playing well — neither is AK

10. Chorske says:

Habs chasing the puck a bit here. Not a great start.

11. Keith says:

L.A has no problem going to the net. But I like our push-back.

12. Chorske says:

Some pretty sloppy play in our own end to start things off.

The Kings look fast.

13. andrewberkshire says:

Subban with a very bad read.

14. Chorske says:

Detrot is close at 2.8 ish. But who needs goaltending when you’ve got that depth.

15. JIMVINNY says:

Betcha 19year-old clifford was telling PK to give him respect….

16. Chorske says:

Even the Flyers spend more on goaltending. And we all know what THEY’RE like.

17. Keith says:

Not the same without Mr. Boone but we’ll manage like  we’ve had to when his mom passed away a while back. Hope he and Red have a good time. Looking for alot more skating tonight than monday’s game. the Habs stopped skating in the second, and when the Habs stop skating and playing the type of game they need to play, then the result is usually in the loss column. GO HABS GO!!!

18. J.J. of Turku says:

How sweet is this:

I got permission to watch game in bed if I wear headphones and don’t type too hard while watching (incl. no yelling or moaning or any kind of loud, disturbing noise 🙂

Looks like I’ve played my cards well…

Let’s have a good one!

19. JIMVINNY says:

A play on which every Kings fan in the world claimed there was a hold by Higgins.  How the guy with puck commits a hold, I never figured out, but whatever.

20. Chorske says:

So we’re facing the backup? Quick is listed at $1.8, Bernier is listed at $800k.

As an aside: that’s gotta be the lowest combined goaltending salary in the league. I had a quick scan through about a dozen teams and LA’s $2.6 was the lowest.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

RDS Stream if you like.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

22. MICP says:

link for us in the USA please.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Drop the effin’ puck, I’m going to hang myself on that Western road trip.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

24. HFX-HabFan says:

If memory serves me correctly, the last time the Kings came to town was during the (ill-fated) centennial season, and we won on a Chris Higgins (straightarming of Drew Doughty en route to a) breakway goal.

One of the last few happy games before the barber pole uni game where we lost Lang and Latendresse and all Stanley Cup dreams went up in flames soonafter.

25. Ayan_SB says:

Should be a good game.

Subban, Simmonds, Bernier and Doughty are former teammates from the 2008 Canadian WJC.

26. HFX-HabFan says:

For those of you who missed it earlier:

Continuing the “debut roster” series, here is a roster comprised entirely of current NHLers who made their league debut in a Los Angeles Kings uniform:

Cammalleri-Kopitar-Brown

Frolov-Jokinen-Simmonds

Blake-Belanger-Purcell

Moulson-Reinprecht-Parros

O’Sullivan

Visnovsky-Doughty

Johnson-Gleason

O’Donnell-Corvo

Harrold

Quick

Bernier

Total cost: $54.3million, or $5.1million under the salary cap.  A pretty deep group of forwards, a capable blueline, and a good young tandem in net (a few years ago, the duo between the pipes would have been Huet and Legace…my how times have changed).

27. ths says:

Guys lets try and blog the game using the comments

Would be a great service for us not able to watch cheers !

I’ll start if someone can post a pic of Chantelle for me to comment on

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

28. habguy says:

like Gainey?

29. HabFab says:

So Boone’s the “living legend of sportswriters” dinner date??

Verrry Interresting!!!

30. PureGuava says:

I’d make that trade. Souray for Gomer. Done deal…..Hell, i’d take Redden at this point.

31. hab_skill says:

Haha Eller! That was pretty sweet,.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

True enough, granted it’ll be between them and Isles who can suck their way to a Franchise defencemen more.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

33. Castor says:

Class act that guy. Too bad he didn’t work out here. Hope he does well!

34. HabFanSince72 says:

You forgot:

Submitted by G-Man on Fri, 01/18/2002 – 04:49.

Saddam’s got weapons of mass destruction.

35. Danno says:

Dirty Danny belongs on the Island of Misfit Toys

Ohhh wait….

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

36. Ayan_SB says:

From HF Boards.com:

Danny Briere the elf.

37. Ayan_SB says:

EDM has a terrible defence. Adam Larsson can possibly change that if he’s drafted by them.

38. Chorske says:

I’ve never managed to convince myself that Williams did that on purpose. He was careless with his stick, rot his soul, but I have watched replay after replay and never seen a deliberate intent to injure.

It’s a bit the same way with Staal’s weird knee on knee collision with Markov. Staal is an idiot for making that play at a meaningless point of the game, but I don’t see intent to injure.

39. heavy-evy says:

Gomez will score tonight>>>if he can hit the net

40. SPATS says:

O’Byrne loving Colorado, with nice things to say about the Habs

41. MathMan says:

You DO realize that a team that goes 6-4-0 over 82 games will end up with 49 wins, 98 points, and a surefire playoff berth right? With no OT loser points whatsoever?

Personally, I’d be quite satisfied if the Habs won 60% of their games…

42. Danno says:

Boone don’t leave us. We can’t blog if blogging is without you.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Justin Williams is one of the leading scorers for the Kings this season. You may remember this particular SOB as the one who put his stick in Koivu’s eye in the 2006 playoffs. Here’s rooting for a puck to his face tonight.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

44. P St. Pierre says:

I’d still do that trade…Eller will be the number 2 center soon enough anyways…he looks good, just needs some finishers on his wings, in my opinion.

45. avatar_58 says:

OK -Gomez for their 1st round pick

46. OneTimer says:

G-Man: you sir, have just been owned

47. Mr.Hazard says:

Yeah! And then they could unload Souray on us. Then we get our former high-scoring defenseman and PP point-man for half the price 🙂

48. obrien says:

We would probably get Horcoff back, which I don’t think is reason enough to trade Gomez

49. G-Man says:

20 games does not a season make- Habs are 6 -4 last 10. They are showing their truer nature; a team that will barely make it. This season, it isn’t Price letting the team down. It’s someone a little more expensive.

50. sidhu says:

Maybe we can send Scotty to Edmonton, they are looking for a center 😉

51. smiler2729 says:

LOL. Yeah, I don’t miss all those Halakians, maybe they moved to a Blues sight.

52. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Anybody seen Slovak in awhile? I haven’t noticed him posting articles about Halak in awhile. Just asking.

53. MikeL says:

I know it seems foolish to a lot of people when line combinations are brought up, but I really don’t like our current lines.

I have two proposals.

1) Put Gionta back with Gomez, and find them a 2nd line winger. That means putting the very effective Pleks, Cammy and AK46 line together as well.

or

2) If JM insists on keeping Gionta, Pleks and AK46 together, let Cammalleri play with Lars Eller.

Gomez is a very interesting player. His whole career he’s been labeled as a passer. But does that actually mean he is a good passer? Gomez is a pass first guy, obviously. But, IMO, he is not a good passer. His skill is his speed, and that allows him to create chances by getting the puck to his line mates. The problem is, most of his passes are inaccurate, or even bouncing. The reason he has such great success with Gionta in the past was because Gionta has incredible hand eye coordination. He can knock those knuckling Gomez passes down, or even knock them out of the air and into the net.

The problem is Cammalleri is a sniper. He needs a pass which is fast, and more importantly, flat to the ice. He tees up his one timers often on the complete opposite side of the ice to where the pass is coming from. Gomez can’t do this for him. Gomez likes to make very quick, short passes. Give and go type plays.

Cammalleri needs to play with either Pleks or Eller. I really like Lars Eller (maybe more than most) and I feel he has a lot of Saku Koivu in him. Works hard, wins battles, strong on his feet, pass first type of player. Like Koivu, speed isn’t his greatest asset, but he makes up for it with smarts.

I just can’t see the current line combinations bringing us success over the long term. Maybe JM knows this and is just trying to wake up certain players, but he eventually needs to go back to what works.

54. sidhu says:

Agreed — no way we are getting Eberle or Paajarvi.

If we give up Gomez, we’d have to get struggling players and/or big contracts in return.  No way we will get top rookies like Eberle.  It would be something like Gomez, Pyatt, Pacioretty for Cogliano, Brule, and Gilbert.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

I hear this 6’4″ Centre called Sean Courturier will likely be available in June this year for EDM.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

56. TB says:

awesome someon in the comments of that article suggests this trade

eberle and hemsky to montreal for gomez, moen, lapierre and pyatt or eberle, hemsky and pajarrvi to mtl for gomez, moen, lapierre, pyatt, eller, darche.

Tambellini would have to have breadpudding for brains to make this trade

57. joeybarrie says:

You know what they say about assumptions….

Submitted by G-Man on Fri, 06/18/2010 – 04:43.

“And I think we all know that Price is a lot better than Niemi and
    Leighton.”

No, he isn’t.

Submitted by G-Man on Fri, 06/18/2010 – 04:49.

Price has proved over and over that he sucks. This team’s management is
    beyond mentally challenged. My question is: did Goatier trade Halak because
    some1 hit him with a sledgehammer on the and then say, “Ok. YOu’re
    prepared. Make a trade.” Because the net results are the same. Worst trade
    since Roy was
    moved.

Submitted by G-Man on Fri, 06/18/2010 – 04:59.

Enjoy last place.

I think it is safer for you to comment about things AFTER they happen.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

M.I.A.

I have to do some research for my Gazette City column tonight.

So I’ll miss what I fully expect to be the final game of the Western Conference finals.

I’ll catch up on Comments when I get home.