Liveblog: Winning streak stops at 2

Halak
Returning to the scene of his playoff glory, Jaroslav Halak had a very quiet night at the Bell Centre.
In notching his second shutout of the season, Halak made only 19 saves …only a few of which were remotely difficult.

UPDATE: Patrick V. Hickey is day-to-day with an upper body injury. I’ll be writing for the dead-trees edition of The Gazette, which means a terse and pithy live blog that stops early in the third period. I’m counting on the Commentariat to soldier on.

1. glorydayspast says:

Price should leave this team first chance he gets. Habs come out flat for him knowing all eyes would be on him vs. Halak. This teams needs to be blown up.

I agree Subban makes mistakes but at least he tries and puts in some effort. He’s only making $875k as well. What is the excuse for Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Markov, AK, etc??

I don’t know what to say..I don’t think I remember a year where the team has put up so many stinkers.

2. port elgin says:

Halak #1 star, good for him

3. AH says:

Is it just me, or did St. Louis look like giants compared to the Habs? (Not that that would be hard).

4. Kooch7800 says:

thoughts of the night:

Man st louis shows how to use size in a game

where did cammy, gio and pleks go? I think I noticed them on one shift creating pressure.

Eller is a good prospect but man he makes some really terrible passes and quite frequently

PK Subban sucks on the PP.

I thought Kabby was going to help our PP?

Max P and Cole are our best players

Emelin is a great hitter but has a lot to learn on D

The habs were outclassed tonight

5. port elgin says:

This Habs team, not very good eh?

6. JasonM says:

HALAAAAAAAAAAKK

7. Alex says:

If they were going to lose that way– at least Halak got his shut-out.

And the loss had nothing to do with Price

8. jetson18 says:

Just when the Habs give you hope they pull off a spectacular performance once again !

9. port elgin says:

And a shutout to boot, what a joke

10. Hockey Bob says:

That should put an end to those stupid make the playoffs talk from the likes of
    BOBCAT BOB lmao
    This team can beat elite teams

JARO JARO

11. Mondou6 says:

First Blues shut out in Montreal since 1973.

12. Adidess says:

Would be unfair to compare Price and Halak’s performances tonight based on goals allowed. A shutout is a shutout, but that game wasn’t even close.

13. Bill says:

Shitty deal bro.

Full Breezer 4 Life

14. aj says:

Price vs Halak:

Price – 0 wins, 2 loses
    Halak – 2 wins, 0 loses

Makes me wonder if Gauthier made the right decision at all. Not that Eller is a good aquisition, however, we don’t have enough big size forwards like St. Louis has at the moment.

15. Mondou6 says:

The Fail for Nail is back on!

Or…In the tank for the bottom rank?

Race for last place?

16. port elgin says:

Garbage, and that’s an insult to garbage

17. topher5468 says:

AK is brain dead, BRAIN DEAD

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

18. TheMock780 says:

Cammy deserved every second of booing he was getting. Yet another ‘mail it in’ performance.

This Blues team is evidence of what a propre rebuilt can bring you. The type of rebuilt that Habs management seems allergic to.

19. LL says:

Our team was not prepared for this game. But then again, they’re not built for countering a heavy forecheck. But dammit, being shutout is embarrassing. And Halak didn’t even have to steal this game.

20. ogilthorpe says:

What did I say at the beginning of the game?? get rid of that damn trophy… Useless waste of time and breaks the guys concentration…ARGHHHH!!!!!!

21. Mondou6 says:

Tonight’s game sponsored by Ambien.

22. Rickly33 says:

Sorry, I’m a canadien fan but they look very bad tonight, time to become sellers, I don’t trust them to sell the right people though!!! Terrible haven’t had a winning streak yet, and before anyone says anything 3 does not make a streak!

23. MacHabFan says:

Have we ever been this bad?

24. EastCoastHab says:

Perhaps next practice we can work on actully hitting the net with that little black thing on the ice……

25. JohnBellyful says:

Well, if there’s one thing tonight’s game taught us it’s … it’s …
    where did I put my notes?

26. podbay says:

Of course Halak would return to Montreal for the first time after the trade and get a shutout. It’s the only script for tonight. Then the debate will rage about Price vs Halak, useless as it is a moot point now. But this was a sad, pathetic effort tonight. Who gets the blame? Everyone. Sad, so very sad. We now look to 2012-13 and beyond…

27. habfan01 says:

so- why is a 2 goal lead so hard to defend? Blues have no problem.

28. twilighthours says:

Shame on you for being fooled by that 2-game winning streak. This is a horrible hockey team.

—————————————————————–

29. topher5468 says:

Fans booing Cammy, good he sucks, Gill sucks too, totally useless. To bad for Carey, Looks like halak gets the spotlight again, Still happy Price is our Goalie. This team has bad karma, something needs to be done to lift this dark cloud hovering over this team

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

30. RiverviewCanadien says:

So many bad players tonight.

You know what, not even Halak could have won this game for the Habs…

31. PureGuava says:

Rookie coaching error by Cunnyworth tonight in starting Price. Price has been one of the few bright spots this season. He has been consistently good – not amazing, but good. Price has been protected and insulated his entire career, so why not now?

I love Eller, and I support the decision to trade one of the goalies a few seasons back – I just can’t figure out why Price had to start tonight.

• JohnBellyful says:

Budaj in Boston?

• PureGuava says:

I don’t think so. My comment wasn’t really a knock on Price. I just didn’t think that Cunny was crazy enough to expose his fragile goalie/team to this type of scenario. The last thing the team needed right now was to revisit the Halak/Price debate, and Cunny seemed all too eager to allow it.

32. aj says:

As I’m watching the game right now, this team has by far in my opinion The weakest 1st line I have ever seen in the NHL if not one of the weakest 1st line forwards in all of the 30 teams of the NHL.

RC has got to stop what JM used in the past regarding to the Gionta-Plekanec-Cammalleri 1st line. Gauthier has got to make some moves right now! I’m open for dealing all 3 forwards for a new 1st line. Or maybe, trade Cammy and Gio for a Top 6 winger who can help Pleks score pucks in the net.

Unfortunately, Gio got injured again. Their gonna have to recall Leblanc to save his hide and the team. F***!!!

33. Muckbringer says:

yaro, $, shattenkirk…

why the frigg not?

34. Adidess says:

Incomplete post there, point was defensemen take longer to come into their own. Looks like people are holding Subban’s excellent first year against him. The kid is still learning…

35. MacHabFan says:

PK Subban 1. Hal Gill 1. Emelin 1. Price 0. Halak 0.

36. danhabsfan says:

I’ve stayed quiet all night… until now.
    How can this team not show up for games? How can they not skate, when speed should be their thing.?
    They have no hope of making the playoffs if they play like this.
    Randy won’t get a shot if they play like this.
    Does anybody understand this? Help!!!

37. avatar_58 says:

Why wont this clownship tank already? They won’t make the playoffs. So what’s the point?

F sakes…

If after the game Halak says a few words in French during his interview that would be gold.

39. The Jackal says:

We never tool advantage of the huge rebounds Halak gives up, not big enough to get in there

40. kempie says:

Feels like JM hockey™

Man this SL team looks good.

41. MacHabFan says:

PK Subban 1, Hal Gill 1, Emelin 1. Price 0. Halak 0.

42. JohnBellyful says:

What this team needs is a System. Sorry. Système

43. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Ugggh, I sat Chris Stewart in both my fantasy leagues.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

44. ffenliv says:

I started the season with some 5th-7th place optimism, but I had, at the time, to laugh at a few of the posters here who thought we had the best team in the division. As the year winds on, we’re finding out we’re a lot closer to worst in the conference than anywhere near the division lead.

I just hope something good comes from all this sucking.

• Mondou6 says:

lol…”7th place optimism”, I like that.

That’s what PG has every year, 7th place optimism. That should be our franchise motto now.

• ffenliv says:

I suppose it was a little funny, but wasn’t really meant that way :P

I just thought this team had a mid-table finish in it, down to 7th at the worst. But Christ, this is awful.

45. EastCoastHab says:

Blow it up boys, I can’t find anything positive to say. Forget the playoffs, it ain’t happening…..this is painful!

Is St. Louis that good? Are we that bad?

Stop the pain!

46. deuce6 says:

What a piss poor effort…Even when the rare times we actually get in a decent scoring area, we either hit Halak with it or shoot the damn thing 10 feet wide and over the net…

I thought I would have watched a much better game than this tonight..We came out flat and our top paid players again are letting us down in the scoring column..How much $$ does Cammelleri make to shoot the puck 10 feet wide, again? Heck, pay me 1M and I’ll get a shot on goal, FFS..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

47. Habzfan says:

Down 3 in the third still no forecheck!!!

48. duffy says:

The debate is over, HALAK#1, PRICE ??????

• athanor says:

That’s freaking daft!

How is Price supposed to win if the team in front of him doesn’t score even one goal.

It seems that Halak only has to be in the building for the Habs to come up short for Price.

49. NCRhabsfan says:

Wow, now there is a team that knows how to forecheck.

Is it just me or does anyone else sense that we have no chance of scoring when either Cole, MaxPac, DD or Eller is not on the ice?

50. SlovakHab says:

I am not as upset to be fan of a poor team as much as I am being a part of such a short-sighted, unknowledgeable & whinging fanbase.
    How many fans are suggesting that we should have kept Halak based on the fact that his team is up and will probably win?
    Swap Price for Halak and this STL team will destroy us equally. They just have better players in the field and a pretty good coach! – goaltending change would not affect the result at all.
    Under-producing Gionta, Gomez, Cammy and Plekanec are our main problem and that’s the reason we are where we are.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Thank you.

Our youth is a solid foundation to build on over the next couple years. In that time some of the big contracts will be coming off the books. I have the feeling Cammy’s out of here by the trade deadline though…

• scavanau says:

What did I miss? I’ve read no real Price bashing tonight.

• SlovakHab says:

Yeah, but too much whining and Halak fans are out, which I hate.
        He’s from my country, but I just can’t stand the guy anymore for the unreal amounts of unconditional love he gets from all Slovak media + many pseudo-Hab fan whingers that think he’d solve all our problems.

Break a team into four: Goaltending – defence – offence – special teams.

Of all 4, only GOALTENDING is fine and does not need fixing. Go figure.

51. AH says:

That last goal just showed how bad of a team we have….St. Louis made that look way too easy…..sad how far this organization has fallen….

52. Adidess says:

Subban makes some boneheaded plays, but the kid cares and tries hard… People forget Subby is as young as Eller. If you’re willing to cut Eller (a 1st round pick) some lack for his lack of production, why can’t you allow a young defenseman

• powdered toastmann says:

Agree. He is too young to be expected to carry the defensive responsibilities required of him (on a relatively poor team). I think that his frustration is evident. At this point in time he’s his own worst enemy. Needs more time and a (good) mentor.

• habs-fan-84 says:

yup, not sure why, but people seem to forget this is his second year! In five years his second year will all but be forgotten.

• HassanM says:

I also think that they tried to change to much of his game at once as if to turn him into something else overnite…Had they worked on his game bit by bit he would be better than last year instead of confused and overwhelmed.

53. HassanM says:

Cammelleri is the new Kovalev kills Plekanec and Gionta

• badbalance says:

You are retarded at least Kovy was our best player on the team pretty much 3 out of 4 years. What has Cammy done for us lately? Cammy cant even hit an open net, he can’t battle… Good on the fans to boo Cammy…

• HassanM says:

Point taken…to clarify Kovy towards the end of his stay here when his ego seemed to take over…if you remember the great year that line had then following year they all tanked. Don’t get me wrong i fully believe that Kovalev has more talent in his pinky than all of Cam’s. Just the way Pleks is playing this year reminds me of that last year with Kovy and look how well he did the year after.

54. PureGuava says:

I always found it strange that L.A. gave up on Cammaleri at such a young age, and then he was great in Calgary, but they let him walk. Maybe they both knew something that Gainey did not.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

• habs-fan-84 says:

ya what fools they were to sign a player coming off a 39 goal season *shakes head.
      Really?

I know he’s been really bad this year, and is quite possibly trade bait at the deadline, but come on, this comment is just dumb (for lack of a better word). I wonder what you’re feelings were of Cammy the last two years in the playoffs?

55. twilighthours says:

Chris Stewart: black or not?

—————————————————————–

The Blues make Emelin and Gill seem average sized.

57. bellcentre hotdog says:

With boston on Thursday, The short lived 2 game win streak is about to be converted into a 2 game losing streak.

58. habsfaninboston says:

Not good Emelin.

59. otter649 says:

The Blues most have the most right handed shooting players in the league…..

60. LL says:

Boring…even a fight would be nice now.

Can’t believe I just wrote that.

61. Ferg says:

Sure glad we signed Crapoli.
    That way if Kaberle gets hurt, we will still have a pylon back there.

• Rob D says:

Its that kind of forward thinking that makes us who we are. With Sammy Pollock leading us..we’ll destroy…errrr…sorry just had my more frequently occuring flashbacks to glory.

We now return to your regularly scheduled “Habs 2012″ presentation already in progresss..

62. HassanM says:

Are we insured if somebody were to accidently shoot the puck at Cammeleri’s head…gives us cap space..i really think he is Gionta’s injury and Pleky’s kryptonite

63. JasonM says:

Does Hitchcock speak french?

64. badbalance says:

Hard to play against a team taht borderline slashes, interferes. Cheap shots to the head, runs our players….. A big team like BOston would stick it to the Blues if they pull that crap with them…

65. gkirst84 says:

Have the Habs come back from a 3rd period deficit all year to win the game?

66. szthecatman says:

Just saw the Gionta replay with him going to the room, did anyone catch what happened to him? I thought it was his right arm but he threw that stick pretty hard lol (im not questioning his integrity im just confused about what happened)

67. Bill says:

It’s not like you can scratch Cammalleri. He’s not replaceable. They NEED him to find his game again man.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• showey47 says:

Thats what pissed me off about carbo when he would only give ryder 4th line minutes or the pressbox. Shooters don’t get their game back by not playing or playing with 4th liners.

68. scavanau says:

Horrible passing. Just horrible. Its more like chucking it away from you than passing.

69. otter649 says:

One of the most boring games of the year so far but that’s the way Hitchcock coaches…….

70. habs001 says:

sabres,jets,pitts all get beaten….

Justin turned of the lights.

72. Bill says:

And …

Full Breezer 4 Life

73. PureGuava says:

Gionta just had a complete meltdown!

74. Rob D says:

Gionta pissed…I guess he cares..

75. The Jackal says:

Whatever happened to HP anyway??
    This team’s problem is scoring goals, has been for a few years.