Liveblog: A significant and satisfying win

Cole

Your Montreal Canadiens dominated one of the hottest teams in the NHL.
Two power-play goals, air-tight D.
Tres impressionant.

How they can look horsecrap on Long Island, then obliterate the rested Rangers …

1. Hab-Q says:

Eller was a non-factor in 11 minutes tonight.
    He needs to go to Hamilton and play some serious minutes like 20-22 minutes a night to help him develop.
    Sure didn’t hurt MaxPac or DD last season.

______________________________________________________
    “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

2. ponyboy says:

To everyone at the HIO summit swilling a few; enjoy from a chilly night in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta. Enjoying a few rums myself after a great victory!!!

3. Bozo McBozo says:

Please check you Gomer woodies at the door! This dude is still too much suck for the buck!

4. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

It would be nice if all of the people in the media that said that signing Cole was a bad move because he’s never played well outside of Carolina would finally just admit they were wrong.

I could never understand how that was being pushed as a legitimate knock on Cole this past summer. So the guy played 30-40 crappy games on a crappy Oilers team and all of a sudden he can’t deal with playing in a Canadian market and only likes the home cooking in Carolina? What a bunch of hogwash.

Cole has been the best Canadiens forward for a good chunk of the season.

5. BKAK72 says:

After tonight’s game is GOMEZ worth a third round pick? If there’s an offer we should take it!

– HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

6. Hab-Q says:

This is the same line-up that crapped the bed against the 29th place team Thursday night.
    Pi$$ed away 2 points.

Too much to ask for game to game consistency?

______________________________________________________
    “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

7. Dintrox says:

like I said. bring on the rsngers. where is timo et al? fire jm yeah right

8. ZimHabwe says:

I know the people don’t like Gomez but not awarding him a star tonight is rather unfair. Yes, Carey got a shoutout tonight but he only stopped 15 shots. No disrespect to my man but he probably felt cold tonight while the team worked.

9. 365fan says:

The anthem singer was great.

However, it should be mandatory for the male anthem singers in Montreal to wear a jacket and tie. We are not Phoenix/San Jose/Chicago/Anaheim/Nashville ……

On a night that we honoured Eddy Palchak, we should not forget Roger Doucet.

10. DearyLeary says:

Erik Cole needs Staal. It’s a fact.

11. JoeC says:

Great game tonight, Gomez was unreal tonight, i really hope it doesnt go to his head and he starts to suck again? Thats the Gomez we need!! And wow, no 2 goal lead shell in the third period, I guess JM is listening to his assistants finally? Or did another press person question his crappy coaching and did he maybe learn another lesson? Cole looks pretty nice on the PP eh JM?

Fire JM still.

12. Stuck_in_To. says:

Less than 30 Thoughts

That was the game we all wanted to see … the Habs take a lead into the third and don’t take their collective foot off the gas. Wow.

Was it the HIO Summit factor?

In my last ramble, I noted the sub-par goal scoring pace of Cole, Gionta and Pleks. I got egg all over my face. I love eggs.

14 shots against? 12? Too early to get a reliable report … no matter. Great work by the team and Price.

Wonder what the score against the NYI would have been if the Habs had played like that. I know, I know, back to back and all that. But limiting a hot team to 14 shots is what you do to win with your backup. Budja may have let in a soft goal but do you think Lundqvist let in all those long range bombs tonight?

Not to take anything away from the goal scorers. As my 67 year old team mate says, “Shoot, shoot, shoot!”

At the risk of repeating myself, Captain Gionta is alright with me.

Glad to see Cole making himself comfortable. He has won me over.

What about the PP? Seems to be working now that they’re seriously considering a downlow option … and whaddaya know? Seems to open up the point.

Gomez shows up twice on the score sheet but I am still not convinced. DD and Eller appear to be working harder and smarter than Gomez and I am putting his assists down to luck. Still, he hasn’t played his way onto the Bulldogs yet. He may very well last the season on relative merit.

13. arrow says:

Beam me up Scotty! Finally Gomez showed some spark! My personal favorite Gorgeous Gorges played a solid game and Pleks another favorite played well again. Young D stood their ground, made some mistakes but quickly rebounded to save the play. Captain Gionta scored an awesome goal from a weird angle, reminded me of another of my favorite’s goal scoring (Kovalev)

GO HABS GO!

PK

14. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I have been following the Canadiens closely for only 5 years (not much opportunity to watch them before that in the U.S.) and religiously for 3…

…that was THE MOST DOMINANT PERFORMANCE I HAVE SEEN THEM PUT OUT ON THE ICE.

Gomez? Looked like a first line center for a change.

15. Danno says:

Take a look at the standings for the Eastern Conference.

Tight or what?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

16. samTHEman says:

Win = Ca sent la Coupe!
    Lose = Fire Martin, Gauther, waive Gomez.

=) =) =) =)

———————————————————-
    It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

17. Da Hema says:

I wonder what lit the fire under Gomez’s arse? I hope it was PG earlier today showing Gomez what an unsigned waiver form to Hamilton looks like.

18. WindsorHab-10 says:

Is it Washington Caps or Craps? How do they explain being massacred by the Loafs.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

19. WindsorHab-10 says:

Impressive win for the team. Most satisfying is they never let up which is what I like to see whenever they have a lead. I focused mainly on Alexie Emelin & I thought he looked damn good.
    Still hate JM.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I always watch Emelin closely and I think he´s had just one bad game so far. The one at Long Island where the forwards sucked defensively. Everyone makes mistakes but he doesn´t get outmuscled which sometimes leads to scoring chances against our small D. Overall he´s really done okay so far, his positioning is improving and he can be an important player once JM starts to trust him.

20. neumann103 says:

Am very happy that the Habs chose to play this game on the very day that the HIO Summiteers gathered in MTL at the Bell Centre.

Great work organizing this Ian. Maybe I will join you all next year and hope for a game even half this good!

“Et le but!”

21. topher5468 says:

Bruins pummel Isles, Weird league

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

22. ogilthorpe says:

Wow, what a great game! Look out NHL,2 shutouts in a row; looks to me like Price is really starting to warm up now. Yeah Gomez too, he showed heart tonight; not his fault some idiot in NY gave him 8 mil!p.s…thumbs up to YOUPIE and his mustache.

23. kempie says:

That

was

awesome.

More please.

24. twilighthours says:

Grapes is right: Lupul is a good guy and good on him for saving his career.

25. Hab-Q says:

Bring on the (B)ruins

______________________________________________________
    “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

26. RC-51 says:

So Price gets a shutout then is benched next game then his next game gets another shutout!? Could’ve been 3 in a row?

27. Bill says:

That’ll learn ‘em to play their backup against us. The Rangers got owned and the best they could have hoped for was a shutout tie.

Full Breezer 4 Life

28. durocher says:

Great victory — special teams were dominant, our best players were our best players (e.g., Price, Pleks, Cole, Gio), Emelin rebounded from a tough game, the young D were solid, Gomez is alive. Props to Nokia for standing up for himself and taking on a big goon.

Bring on the Bruins!

29. slapshot777 says:

I know I said the same thing. Like Bob Cole didn’t Carey to get that shutout. Screw you Bob Cole.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

30. Habbu says:

Until Monday night…the biggest game of the year…..over and out

31. Propwash says:

Guess they won to spite JM

32. nick says:

2 SO’s for Price this week… with a young D on top of that.
    Not too shabby.

33. Chorske says:

Boo to the shites for not giving Gomer a star.

34. Rob D says:

Bob Cole? STFU
    shutout! he’s never got two shutouts!..Will he get a shutout?!

What a douchebag

35. Da Hema says:

Henry Winkler looked pretty devastated walking on the ice to the Rangers’ dressing room. Sit on it Henry.

36. J.J. of Turku says:

Sweeeet.

End of transmission. Good night!

37. Bill says:

PK and Carey are so cute.

Full Breezer 4 Life

38. habsfaninboston says:

Nice! Price with 2 shutouts this week.

39. Arrow77 says:

I know this is gonna sound weird but the way we’re winning tonight could have a negative effect in the future. Gomez playing well, Plekanec scoring on the power play… Martin is being rewarded for his bad ideas!

I know technically it could mean Gomez is out of his slump and Plekanec has learn to play on the point but I’m afraid it’s temporary.

40. obvious says:

And Bob Cole says the S word.., twice. Douche.

41. tote-road says:

Who was worse, the Rangers tonight or the Hurricanes earlier this week?

42. Bill says:

Weak call …

Full Breezer 4 Life

43. - Plekanec now has 20 points in 20 games
    - Erik Cole has 7 points in last 5 games
    - Pacioretty has 9 goals and 17 points in 20 games
    - Captain Gio is picking it up
    - Price has been hot

Things are looking good. Wait till Gill and Markov return.

44. Propwash says:

I said it before, all winning streaks eventually come to an end.

45. How can we play like this tonight and lose to the lowly Islanders with Boston beating them 4-0 tonight? What is going on with this team?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

46. Danno says:

Nice to see the REAL HABS came out to play tonight for the HIO summit
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

47. Habbu says:

Great pass…..love that Gomez….I tell ya that kid has got huge upside

48. habsfaninboston says:

Gomer earning his paycheck tonight.

49. Castor says:

You know what would be classy Habs fans? If we voted Gomez third star tonight. He deserves it.

50. Chorske says:

Not so much booing when Gomez touches the puck now, eh?

51. idle says:

O.K .. So put Gomez and Gionta together again…

52. Sotxhabsfan says:

Nice play by Gomez!

53. HabCez says:

Gionta.. RANGER killer!

54. habsfaninboston says:

Gioooooooooooooooooooo!

55. JIMVINNY says:

Jeebus. The first wave was out for the entire PP.

56. Habbu says:

Love to see Gomez pot one, show that Sather once and for all the huge mista………oh no forgot that

57. Arune Singh says:

Man, that was a weak call on Prust.

The Rangers really can’t catch a break tonight.

I say that as a HAbs fan, but also someone who wants the game evenly called.

Thank You Saku. Thank you Halak. Thank you to all who wear the CH.

58. RGM says:

Just as an FYI on the former Habs draft pick turned Rangers plug…
    Thug Deveaux’s career stats: 29GP, 2A, 85PIM (now more) – averages 5 or mins TOI per game. Useless.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

59. Danno says:

I’m seeing a lot more grimacing & hand gesticulations and a lot less pad scribbling from J-Mart tonight.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

60. Habbu says:

Yup Jacques is really mad, he’s almost ready to give somebody a real talking to.

61. topher5468 says:

Gotta admit it, Gomez has been preety good tonight, good for him. Now keep it up.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

62. Bill says:

I don’t understand how that hit is 5 and game some games and two minutes in another. It’s one or the other, which is it?

Full Breezer 4 Life

63. J.J. of Turku says:

You don’t want to mess around with Nokia. :)

64. Sotxhabsfan says:

Mismatch, but you have to hand it to Nokelainen for standing up for himself!

65. Going to get dirty. Need an enforcer out there to protect our limited talent. It ain’t over yet. We need to keep playing to 60 min.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

66. HabCez says:

Good on Darche coming and Noke standing up for himself!

67. Habbu says:

Atta boy Nokia right back at him.

68. habsfaninboston says:

Deveaux you f*cker.

69. JIMVINNY says:

That should be a suspension. Cowardly hit by a useless player.

70. ffenliv says:

Good to see Nokia getting in there. Unfortunate that he got filled in. Probably for the best that the linesmen broke it up.

Also, what a dirty-ass hit.

71. db says:

BS!!!!

Nokia gets a penalty for what? Not taking off his gloves? After getting up from a blindside hit?

72. RC-51 says:

The best this power play has looked ALL year!

73. habfab14120 says:

Just got in from my son’s game. Can we have a HIO Summit for every home game?

74. Sporefries says:

Nice seeing Emelin in on the action!

75. Danno says:

The little ginger behind the Habs bench is overjoyed.

Youppi’s love child?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”