Mathieu F. Garon

Not that he was tested.

Canadiens lose consecutive games for the first time this season.

But maybe not the last …

1. larisalapointe says:

Thirty is cool. Happy Birthday!

2. larisalapointe says:

Happy Birthday. A win tonight for you.

3. andrewberkshire says:

The replacement mics make Houde sound deeper.

4. showey47 says:

yeah,same here.

5. Habs Fan in Oil Country says:

They are having microphone problems…Benoit’s mic isn’t working..blessing in disguise? lol

6. andrewberkshire says:

Anyone else think RDS sounds off today?

7. Keith says:

Feeling a bit under the weather (flu I think) tonight, but hey, it’s the Habs. Gotta suck it up and watch the greatest hockey team in the world get the two points 😉

GO HABS GO!!!

8. joeybarrie says:

Somethng has been bugging me all afternoon. 24 Cups posted here that Gionta and Gomez were players that had an average per season point production of 2nd liners.

I have to disagree with Gomez. The reason why I disagree is there are 4 types of teams in this league. High scoring teams like Washington Capitals who have 3-4 players over 60 points each season. Low scoring defensive teams like New Jersey that have their top players under 80 points. There are defensive and offensively balanced teams like Boffalo who have 3-4 players with 60 some odd points and their top 4 are very close in total ponts. Then there are crappy teams who end up in the bottom of the league, where one or two players have all the production.

Saying Gomez is a player who has had 2nd line production his whole career is saying a team like New Jersey doesn’t have a top line. I say this because Gomez has been 2nd in scoring 7 times, 1st once, 3rd once and 4th once. He has played with players such as Jagr, Elias, Nieuwendyk, Parise, Langenbrunner, Naslund, and Shanahan.

You would have to say then a team that won the Stanley Cup twice, didn’t have any first line players on it.

I would agree that Scott Gomez is not an ELITE player. However, I think people expect the Habs to have 3-4 ELITE players on their team. We haven’t done that in years. I think people dont realize that there are only about 30 player each year that have over 60 points. Now this is alot of players, it really means there is 1 per team on average.

Gomez has been an ELITE passer his whole career, he is usually 10th to 20th in the league, and had spent most of his career on teams that do not score alot of goals.

I don’t really have a point here, but it is some thing that has bugged me all afternoon. I think the problem here is we expect our team to have a few ELITE players and STILL manage to keep a well balanced team that has many many of the leagues better players. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE….

GO HABS GO, KICK COLUMBUS A**

9. andrewberkshire says:

Don’t think anyone blames you for not knowing much about the Bluejackets, Boone.

10. TomNickle says:

You and every other Hab fan in the World, lol.

11. Propwash says:

Woooow, you’re not kidding when you say empty seats.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

12. TomNickle says:

Wasn’t he traded to Buffalo prior to being a UFA this summer too?

13. Propwash says:

Man, I’d LOVE to have Nash in the Habs roster.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

14. HFX-HabFan says:

Blame the fact that the Blue Jackets are one of the least marketable teams in the league.

15. Ayan_SB says:

It’s alright, I’ll just pretend you meant Kristian Huselius instead.

16. HFX-HabFan says:

Didn’t Raffi Torres sign with the Canucks in the off-season?

17. Mike Boone says:

I’m off to a rough start here

18. andrewberkshire says:

What are your thoughts on the night?

19. Ayan_SB says:

Hey Boone, Raffi Torres plays with Vancouver now.

20. oshawahabsfan says:

Fellow HIO people, I am donating my face for the month of November for the Movember campaign in an effort to raise money for Prostate Cancer Canada. I encourage the men on here to participate by growing a stache for the month and spreading awareness for the cause. Hey Boone, any chance you can ask some of the players to participate, this is the man’s version of the ribbons for cancer. Go Habs Go!

21. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL All-Star Game Voting campaigns.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

22. TripleX says:

So I guess Cherry deserves some slack for not knowing PK’s real name if his own team mates are unaware.  That is surprising though.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

23. Shiloh says:

Thanks, boneheads. Are you Bernhard Langer’s brother?

24. Shiloh says:

Obama has reduced the deficit. The Dow is up 40% since he took office. The adults are in charge now. Conservatives like Mulroney (tripled the Canadian debt) and Reagan (quadrupled the US debt) advertise themselves as fiscally responsible but it takes Liberals like Clinton and Paul Martin to put the economy in order.

25. andrewberkshire says:

Hey Boone, it’s Mathieu Garon, not Biron. I guess we shouldn’t be very afraid if we can’t even remember his name.

26. Shiloh says:

I took conversational French in university 40 years ago – and then I took two more courses in 2008-09. I understand the announcers very well, but the players and a few of the guys on Antichambre are difficult – particularly if they’re from Montreal.

27. matmacat says:

haha, your avatar DOES need updating. I think everyone is onboard this year.

28. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Happy birthday, Sir! Have a terrific one!

29. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Congrats Shiloh, I wish you a very happy birthday!

Have a fabulous one!

30. helluva habs fan says:

Haha, excellent. I’ll be listening intently.

2010 HIO Fan Summit Itinerary Nov. 5th and 6th in Montreal

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Bob Gainey Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

Everyone is welcome, so see you all in Montreal.

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog  for more SUMMIT information

32. Chuck says:

A previous engagement is going to keep me away from seeing the game tonight, do you guys are going to have to cheer extra hard!

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

33. zerolegel says:

Basically, Benoît’s language has more or less 50 words. So, beginning with tonight’s game, you can learn these :

“se comporter” = “to behave”

“gros bonhomme” = “big guy”

“wow!” = “wow!”

By december, you could be able to describe a game too.

34. zerolegel says:

My oh my, being a french teacher myself, the first advice I can give you to learn french is to NOT listen to rds!

Summit Update folks, more donations.

Total donations to date are about $3000. What a community we have here. Everyone welcome.

Raffle
    tickets sold Friday night at Hurleys and before our pre game dinner on
    Sat. A great charity to be a part of people. Bring lots of bucks HIO
    family.

From: Stubbs, Dave (Montreal Gazette)
    Subject: RE: Summit raffle
    To: “Ian Cobb” <cobb
    Received: Tuesday, November 2, 2010, 4:24 PM

RE: Summit raffle

Ian, the Canadiens will give me, to give to the
    raffle, a baseball cap autographed by Brian Gionta. And my wife is
    donating a never-been-worn centennial-season CH-logo’d scarf.

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog  for more SUMMIT information

36. helluva habs fan says:

It’s true. I can’t speak french either, but after watching RDS for 3 or so years constantly, instead of hearing “bla bla blaaa, bla bla bla blablaah,” I hear “bla bla bla, played a great game tonight, bla bla bla worked very hard, bla bla bla, can’t hit the net, bla bla.” I suppose that’s progress.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Because the Health Care industry in the US has done such a bang-up job to this point of looking after people’s health? Leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the US is health care costs. Republicans run on the pretext that government is inefficient and can’t get things done, so why do they say ‘trust us’ when it comes to national security and runaway defence spending?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

38. nightmare_49 says:

The refs for tonite’s tilt are Rowan and Martin (Mike Leggo and Justin St.Pierre).

39. andrewberkshire says:

Yeah, because republicans LOVE giving up power when they’re in charge. That’s definitely what that party does.

40. Exit716 says:

The best part of that story is the fact that Ari Gold…err I mean Alan Walsh didn’t want to talk about it…LMAO.

What’s wrong Al? It’s okay to cause shit for the Habs with your tweets, but when one of your clients gets sucked in by the Montreal media, you can’t defend him or stand up for him.

41. VancouverHab says:

Not for me. I’m looking forward to the Americans putting the adults back in charge and, as P.J. O’Rourke put it, effectively issue a restraining order against Obama’s shovelling multi-trillion dollars into their toilet, and his trillion-dollar nationalisation of two-thirds of their major auto industry and the healthh care industry.

In a word, it seems hopeful that the American public votes to reject the Fabian love of and trust in Government.

Let the people govern, I say.

42. Chorske says:

Exactly! Although +- isn’t always the best indicator- I am a huge fan or Gorges, who last I checked was at -2. It has a lot to do with the kinds of situations these guys are used in, I guess. I think I am mostly going on what I am seeing during the games- a lot of missed coverage, and unbelievably lazy passes across the ice from his own corner, like in my avatar (which needs updating), and horrible laziness in battles along the board. We need him to play better.

43. matmacat says:

I know… and when you consider Picard is +7…

44. matmacat says:

I dunno… +2 is reassuring enough. And now that he got a little scare, maybe we’ll see a little more outta the guy…

45. Chorske says:

Hopefully. I have been underwhelmed thus far.

46. Danno says:

Have a happy one Shiloh! A win by the Habs — and passing proposition 19 in California — will make lots of people happy!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

47. Chorske says:

I was relieved to see Spacek was sitting. Now I am all tense again.

He has been absolutely horrible so far. You’ll recall that I was similarly raggin’ on PK for his suckitude but he has completely turned things around, and is back to being a major asset. But Spacek hasn’t elevated his game at all- if anything, he has gotten sloppier. I am a bit afeared of tonight. Meanwhile, two perfectly respectable Dmen sit. I am with Stu on this one: in a true meritocracy, Eller gets second line minutes, Spacek sits.

Of course, I didn’t coach the Habs through a miracle playoff run last year, and to first place after 12.5% of this season. So what do I know.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Always depressing how much damage a little fear campaigning and negative advertising can do. Well not ‘little’ really since the 2010 Midterms are breaking spending records, all the while the country’s dealing with a recession.

There’s logic for you, throw billions down a hole of bile and anger while people are getting tossed out of their houses and can’t afford to eat.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Having to apologize for morons misquoting you, that’s gotta be fun.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

50. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Think of it as an opportunity to learn French :) That’s what I always used to tell my students (well they were Korean and trying to learn English and I’d actually tell them to watch sitcoms, not hockey…but you get my drift)

51. forskis says:

All the best…and although Obama will probably take it on the chin today, let’s hope that it is not as bad as the polls indicate.  But then again, when the only goal of the other side is to make him a one-termer, it does not take much other than rhetoric and hyperbole, there is no need to do anything else – like govern the people.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

52. nova scotia vees says:

Hey…”what will November bring?”…What it won’t bring is those 24 habs games now on TSN 2, 3 or whatever.  I have Shaw Direct and Centre Ice and just bought the latter to get more Habs games in English.  What a rip-off!!!

I also pay extra for RDS, even though i can’t speak a word of French and don’t have a clue what they are saying in the post-game show.  I try to guess, but alas had thought with Centre Ice, I would be able to stop trying to play the game “sounds..like”.

I am totally ticked…..

53. nightmare_49 says:

Very interesting, Derick Brassard in Hot Water cuz of radio interview with CKAC.

from Puck- Rakers

Brassard: “I Want To Apologize”.

Brassard apologized profusely this morning. He could have chosen his words more carefully, Brassard agreed. But he also said the radio station misconstrued his words and inaccurately portrayed his comments when they posted them on their Web page.

Read more:  http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2010/11/brassard_i_want_to_apologize.shtml

Here is where we place in a 30 team league this week.

Goal Against—–25.. We are in  6th place.    Last week we were in 5th.

Total Points——15.. We are in  3rd place.    Last week we were in 14th

Goals For———29.. We are in 15th place.    Last week we were in 26th

Not to shabby and 75% better than last years start.

For SUMMIT information.. Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

55. Former Jets Fan says:

A great day for a birthday.  I’m 30 today.

All the best Don.

56. Mr.Hazard says:

IM SO EXCITED OMG GO HABS GO!

57. boneheadslanger33 says:

Happy birthday 60th Shylock! All the best to you

58. Les-Habitants says:

Will Spacek be back with Hammer (I’d assume so) or will they try him with Markov?

59. jbroderi says:

happy b day!!  hopefully the boys can get one for you!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

60. Shiloh says:

Hope I’m still mobile by game time. It’s my 60th today and I have started celebrating a bit early. Me and the dog are just hanging out – I’m having a few shots of Grand Marnier and she’s having Lake Superior’s finest to wash down the MilkBones. I gotta believe that my man Obama will take it on the chin today in the US elections. So – a solid thrashing of the Blue Jackets by Les Boys will salvage some of the evening.

I’d like to see Gomez and Gionta carry us for a period or two – sometimes a fluky goal is all that’s needed to open the floodgates.

61. Exit716 says:

Ohio has lost  400,000 jobs in the last four years. Not a surprise they can’t sell out.

62. sholi2000.com says:

I hear ya.  I hope tonight isn’t the night they break out.

They Call Me Shane

63. nightmare_49 says:

64. John Buccigross takes a look back at the first 12 percent of the season. [ESPN]
  65. Arguing that ex-Hab John LeClair will be in the Hall of Fame within his second year of eligibility: [Hockey Prospectus]
  66. An interview with Bob Probert’s wife with excerpts from his book: [USAToday]
  • SeriousFan09 says:

When your best defencemen is Rotislav Klesla…

Nash and Vermette are likely our issues, he’s still elite and Vermette is a Francophone so you know he’s out to burn the Habs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• sholi2000.com says:

Let’s start this month off with a great big W!

Rick Nash is off to a horrible start.

Their defense (minus Klesla) is terrible.

The only thing they got going for them tonight is the fact Garon is an x-Hab….so I guess The Jackets win.

Screw that, pound these fish-heads into the grinder with a 3 lb mallet!

Go Habs Go

They Call Me Shane

• 24 Cups says:

Columbus’ fan based site.

Faceoff stat website pages for the Blue Jackets.

A tale of two cities.  Could Columbus be on the move to Kansas City in a few years?  Winnipeg?

1st line – Nash/Brassard/Voracek

2nd Line – Filatov/Vermette/Umberger

Injuries – Huselius, Moreau, Commodore and Hejda (may play)

• 24 Cups says:

Who’s got tickets, who’s got tickets….

• jbroderi says:

less likely to score on one shot, but he might get 4 or 5

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

• sag says:

Mathman’s name inspired me to check out a gambling probability site.  At a 2.3% shooting percentage, Gionta is less likely to score than you are to pick a winning number at the roulette table (1/37=2.7%).

Gionta is relentless so I can’t imagine this continuing much longer.  Gomez just needs to send a floater around belt high to get him going, the captain’s sweet spot.