Liveblog: Semifinal Game 6 – Canadiens are alive! Beat Boston 4-0 to force game 7

EllerCelebrate

It ain't over till ...

No comeback

Thomas Vanek scored the only goal of the third period, his second of the game.

The stars come out to shine

A brilliant long-bomb pass by Nathan Beaulieu sent Max Pacioretty in on Tuukka Rask, who was beaten between his legs on a rolling puck.

On a Canadiens power play 2:15 later, Thomas Vanek batted in a loose puck.

The Canadiens earlier had survived a sequence when the D pairing, Josh Gorges and Mike Weaver, were trapped in their zone for almost three minutes.

Shots were 8-4 Boston.

Good start

Lars Eller took advantage of a Kevan Miller cough-up to beat Tuukka Rask barely two minutes into the game.

Rask made a brilliant paddle down save on Brendan Gallagher to prevent a 2-0 CH lead.

Loui Eriksson beat Carey Price but his shot hit the crossbar.

The second period will begin with the Canadiens on the power play as Dougie Hamilton took a roughing penalty when the period ended.

Shots were 11-8 Canadiens.

Win or go home

For the first time in the playoffs, your Montreal Canadiens face elimination.

But win or lose Monday night, it's been a great ride.

Six games into a semifinal round?

Yeah, most non-delusional fans would take that.

And the Canadiens could force a Game 7. But it won't be easy.

Boston has outplayed them at even strength in the series. The Bruins are rounding into the form that took them to two Stanley Cup finals in the last three years – and to the President's Trophy this season.

The Canadiens have made it this far on the strong backs of Carey Price and P.K. Subban.

Max Pacioretty, Thomas Vanek and David Desharnais are MIA. Brandon Prust is too banged up to be effective. Douglas Murray has the advanced stats weenies on opioid painkillers.

But the Canadiens are alive.

And the Bell Centre will be rockin' for Game 6

Sean McIndoe on who's slumping in the playoffs

1,540 Comments

1. FrederictonHabsfan says:

Really wish Chucky were ready.

That said IMO lines should be:
    Patches-dd-vanek
    Gally-pleks-bournival
    Bourque-eller-gionta
    Weise-Briere-Prust/moen

Subban-gorges
    Emelin-markov
    Weaver-beaulieu

2. Storman says:

The only downside of tonight’s victory, is we will have to endure Rene Rancourt singing anthems again.

3. RockinRey says:

Vanek ,Patches, Briere, Eller all have to end up on scoresheet. Pleky shutting them down.

PK? Smart hockey. Unloading bombs….simple d in his zone to move the puck….

Markov? Steady!!! laying nice tee up passes to Subban.

Habs win 4-1 to force game 7

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

4. habstrinifan says:

Is the lineup out??? Is Briere in???

5. Habilis says:

The fact that Michel Therrien is willing to dress the most talented lineup even though it contains a rookie on D is very encouraging to me. The old Therrien would never have done this.
    Hope the kid seizes the moment.

GO HABS GO!

6. The Jackal says:

Not to be too obvious but whoever wins this game will take the series. Habs in 7!

7. Danno says:

Who will Ginette shake hands with?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

8. Storman says:

Fearless Fearless prediction Lars Eller scores 1 minute and 21 seconds in.. to start the Habs romp to victory. or at the 81 second mark.

9. habstrinifan says:

Please tell me Briere’s in!!!!

10. Well, seems like we’ve been ground down. We get water thrown in our face, our family jewels speared, called racist names, taunted as weaklings and our push-back is?????

Makes me feel like when I was a chubby kid and I would be bullied relentlessly with no way to counter-attack. Must feel awful as a Hab when your main scorers are shut down and the Booins are taking liberties. G I hate when that happens.

Hey Bergy!!! Promise me you’ll make sure we wallop these same DB Booins next year ’cause I don’t see us taking it this year, unless Trini’s cards are truly seers into the future!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

11. AceMagnum says:

Lots of positive posts. I commend the fans here. I wish I had the same feeling. I don’t.

I sincerely hope each and every one of you have a chance to relentlessly bash me after this game. Sincerely.

12. The Prustean Age says:

Here’s a bloody good pump-up video – Habs spanking the Bruins in the Centennial Game (2009).

Screw the “hockey gods”!

13. habstrinifan says:

Sorry folks I gotta call them as I see them.

I checked the freakin cards;
    Stirred the tarnation outta the tea leaves;
    Uisited Einstein House in Bern and spent hours putting the series thru his E=mc2 formula

It all comes out the same everytime folks….

Sorry but I’m only delivering the message.. I can’t change what’s in the cards…

You ALLL gonna have to RESTOCK on the quaaludes (including Bonne) … cause the CARDS SAY…

Habs 2 Bruins 1….. Subban and Briere for HABS…. Some blackhearted gremlin for B’s.

We gonna have to go thru this again folks!…. Sorry!

14. punkster says:

One of my favorite Habs pump up videos this season.

Release the Subbang!!!

15. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

I want them to feed Subban the puck all night. Let him unload that 100mph cannon at whatever and whomever is standing in his way. And I’m not talking about any of that along-the-ice stuff to be tipped; send it it the crossbar and make ‘em pay. Make them afraid. Make them feel the pain.

X X X X X X X 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

16. Maritime Ronn says:

Good luck to Beaulieu
    This is almost similar to Subban’s debut in 2010

Some interesting similarities.
    – Habs were playing the # 1 seed and President’s Trophy winner Washington.
    – Habs were down 3 games to 2 playing Game 6 at home.

Let’s hope it continues

In that game, the Habs dressed 7 Dmen.
    Subban played 10:02 including 3:05 of PP time.
    Subban had 1 assist and finished Plus +1.
    Habs won the game 4-1
    Went into Washington for Game 7 and won 2-1

17. Storman says:

Nathan Beaulieu’s dad just made it from Sarnia to Montreal in record time it only took him a 6 beer drive.

18. BJ says:

Bournival gets the winner tonight.

19. Danno says:

Free bottled water for the first 21,273 fans

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

20. Storman says:

I Got Goosemountains already,, GO HABS GO

21. ClutchNGrab says:

Elliott Friedman made a good point on Melnick last week. Julien wants Chara to play against the paccioretty/desharnais line. In response Therrien put markov/emelin against weeker boston’s pairings. The effect is obvious, 51/67 have been playing a lot more with murray and weaver than they should have. With beaulieu in, you have a good puck mover on each line and a better second pp unit.

If it turns out he can’t play, maybe therrien will do what I think he should have done on the 3rd period of game 4:
    -Markov/Subban
    -Gorges/Weaver
    -repeat

22. Storman says:

PK Subban the next Montreal Canadian Captain puts on a show tonight for the ages. BOOK IT DANNO..

23. Marc10 says:

I loved seeing PK ask for the puck on that last power play in Game 5. Do that again. Feed the kid and bombs away. Rask can’t stop the PK train and when it’s all done we’ll be thanking Thornton for that bush league water crap. He just made our best that much more determined. What a dumbass.

Habs 5 Bruins 3

24. Strummer says:

I always turn to Churchill for an inspirational quote.
    This line is appropriate for tonight from his “We will never surrender” speech:

“We will fight them on the benches…”

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

25. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

“Tonight in Boston, the satanic “black mass” will begin at 8:30 p.m. In response, the Catholic archdiocese’s Eucharistic procession will begin at 7:15 p.m. The holy hour will begin at 8 p.m. at St. Paul’s Church.”

Oh look, there’s a struggle between good and evil goin’ down tonight in Boston, too.

X X X X X X X 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• 24 Cups says:

Chuck – If you shave Marchand’s head, I’m sure you’ll find three 6’s just like in The Omen.

BTW, I almost drove off the road today trying to play an air guitar lick to Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin. My hand caught the steering wheel but I reeled it in just like Carey Price.

24.4 Cups

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Thank goodness for those reflexes! We’ve got to keep you around long enough for you to be 24.6 Cups!

X X X X X X X 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• FlyAngler says:

The Black Mass is being intentioned for the Bruins in the 2nd & 3rd periods of tonight’s game….. Satan’s minions praying for their own…..

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

26. The Teacher says:

So is beaulieu playing or whut.

27. habsfan0 says:

The Habs have the Bruins 2 games from elimination despite the fact their top line from the regular season,Vanek,Pacioretty,and Desharnais haven’t shown up yet,a situation which is bound to change.
    I’d say the Habs have Boston exactly where they want them.

28. Storman says:

Beaulieu in and part of the future,, Bouilion not so much..

Beaulieu may be the flavour of the moment right now but tonight will still come down to MaxPac and Vanek. These guys needs to produce in order to force Game 7.

24.4 Cups

• Strummer says:

Would Beaulieu’s puck moving abilities not help the offensively-challenged first line?

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

30. UKRAINIANhab says:

BEAULIEU AND WEAVER HOLY YES.

31. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

ᵍᵒ ʰᵃᵇˢ ᵍᵒ

32. monmick says:

Game on; mes ami(e)s…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

33. FlyAngler says:

There really is a Black Mass taking place this week just across the Charles River in the shadows of the T D Garden. Evil is attempting to take its final foothold and the Habs have a glorious opportunity to vanquish it by defeating the Evil Bruins. I could not have written a better script….. Go Habs Go!

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

34. Cal says:

When the Habs are run tonight, and boy they will be run tonight, I want all of you to remember that they only have Emelin on D that can deliver a check. When Price has two Bruins on him because Weaver doesn’t have Murray to help him out, remember how much you all wanted Beaulieu to play tonight.

There, evil know-it-all rant over. Go Habs Go!

• Habfun says:

Cal, I fear you might be right – but I hope your wrong!

It’s all about the CH

• Chris says:

They get run regardless of whether they have big guys or small guys in the line-up. That is just what the Bruins do.

What Montreal does is skate. If they aren’t skating, they are losing. Winning the hits battle is nice for some people, but it is ultimately 100% irrelevant to the final score of the game.

Get wrapped up in winning a physical war with the Bruins and you are more often than not going to lose. Playing a physical game against the Bruins is like arguing with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• piper says:

You’re right Cal, some people just don’t get it.

35. Storman says:

Canadiens 8- Bruins 0,, Its time to switch to Jameson I’ve been drinking Patron all day,,

36. DipsyDoodler says:

This is premature I know, but when The Bruins easily sweep the Rangers in the next round we’ll see how good our lads were playing.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

37. Butterface says:

In the immortal words of Buzz Lightyear, Montreal will score “to infinity and beyond!!”

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

38. Chris says:

Boone, you disturber of poop. If I didn’t know any better, I would question why the guy that was helping Andrew Berkshire boost his exposure after he seized the advanced statistics thing as his schtick is suddenly panning the advanced stats “weenies”.

You must be enjoying yourself thoroughly at the mayhem you are wreaking! ;)

39. Cal says:

Book of Hab
    Chapter 14
    p.10

And lo, the Darkness covered
    The Temple of the Blessed Ones
    And the air was thick with misery
    And despair. For the Faithful had
    Wavered in Their Belief
    While The Beast awaited the Ste-Flanelle
    In the Appointed Place.

So sayeth The Book of Hab

40. rice says:

What do you think the NBA would do if a player was going down court and was hit in the face with water from the bench. What would the NFL do if a player was running down the sidelines for a pass and was hit in the eyes with water from the bench, The player would be suspended for a long time and the team fined mega bucks, Then imagine if it was Sterling doing the eye shots. The NHL missed a big opportunity to send a message .

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

The message is very clear.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha!
      I composed this post in my head a few times today!
      But you beat me to it, and very well said.
      I guess we could extend it: what about MMA, Formula One, Tennis, Rugby, Soccer?…
      In which of those sports would league head office be so complacent?
      Thornton may be an utterly classless, brainless punk, but he is also a manifestation of the brainless lack of class of the NHL.

41. Storman says:

Pearls of wisdom,, Pierre McGuire says Bruins should play smart early and try not to take early penalties, and play to be tied or up a goal..
    WHY DIDN’T WE HIRE HIM AS OUR NEXT GM HE JUST GETS IT.

• Danno says:

SPEC-TA-CU-LAR!!!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• kevin says:

I can’t stand listening to him as colour commentator, imagine him in front of the press in Montreal as much as he would like to be..If I was the coach and not nearly smart enough to be, I would match White against Marchaaand and tell him to drive him nuts all night, pick the shit out of him but not drop the gloves unless he did first

PEIKC

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Rat Boy would NEVER drop the gloves with White. Never. Or practically any players.

Unless maybe against Cindy-Lou Who Who was only two.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Iagree Kevin….as a matter of fact I would have not paid any attention to the Habs had he beeen chosen. He above all makes me want to turn off the TV…

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

“That’s such a great point. Really smart observation. I couldn’t have said it better myself. And if they don’t, they’ll be Tostitos.”
      (channeling my inner McGuire)

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

42. bjmmn says:

The fourth win is usually the hardest. Take it back to Boston boys!!!

43. frontenac1 says:

Let’s get this sh#t going amigos. Let’s Rock!.

44. Chris says:

Just once, before I die, I’d like to see the Habs ice their best players for the first shift of the game, lines be damned. Feed off the energy in the building and get the guys that need to win this game engaged right from the opening whistle.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Vanek
    Markov-Subban
    Price

Go…pedal to the metal for 60 minutes.

45. hansolo says:

I guess I am one of the delusional fans who doesn’t think that it’s been a great ride just because we made it six games into a semifinal round. Boston has been beatable this series, just as they were 3 years ago. It’s not all luck that they’re ahead. They are, one must admit, a good hockey team and have made their own luck.

However, we haven’t helped our own cause. We played right into their hands by playing the SS Douglas Murray in the last game (the two before that were ok), and making Briere (who was signed for his playoff prowess) a healthy scratch. Unlike in the Ottawa series last year, I find myself wondering what-if? a whole lot.

My first exposure to hockey was in 1970-71, when my family and I emigrated to Canada. That was the year the Habs, having missed the playoffs the previous season, beat the heavily-favored Bruins in the first round, helped by a minor league goaltender with 6 games of experience in the NHL. That team was also down 3-2 and won the last two games. Let’s hope history provides a parallel (although that ’70-’71 team was an awesome team with Beliveau, Cournoyer, the Mahovlich brothers, the Pocket, Bouchard, Lapointe and Laperriere – better than this one).

Oh yes, that minor-league goalie? His name was Ken Dryden. Let’s hope Carey channels his inner Dryden the next 2 games.

GHG!

EDIT: I see Subban in Sochi and I reference the same Habs season as we both draw inspiration from the past

46. johnnylarue® says:

“Alright kid, you’re in. Don’t get us eliminated. Oh, and uh, no pressure, of course…”

47. Subban in Sochi says:

I am exceptionally pleased to see that Nathan Beaulieu is playing tonight. Quite a challenge as he has never played 1 second of professional Playoff hockey. He will bring some much needed speed to the defense. And quickness. In his limited time in Montreal he has piled up plus-minus stats that are rare for 21-year-old d-man; + 11 in 23 games.

I am also glad to see Daniel Briere return to the lineup. He has played little in the Playoffs but has used his scant playing time to create some giant plays.

The Habs looked good in games 1-3 of the Bruins series because they exploited their team speed. Beaulieu & Briere bring the speed element; Murray & Moen do not. Montreal can not “out-Bruin” the Bruins. Speed kills. Let’s hope it ‘Ruins Boston tonight..

Like the vast majority of the posters here I have been “down” since Saturday’s game. However, a look at history shows the Habs have won all 4 previous games in Montreal vs. the B’s when trailing 3-2 in the Series.

And the first time the Canadiens did that was in 1971, the year I became a hockey fan and a Canadiens fan. That Bruins team was loaded. There’s no Bobby Orr on this year’s team. Orr scored 12 points in those 7 games!! Nor Phil Esposito, either.

Before puck drop the Canadiens team needs to look in the mirror and decide if they have the physical, mental, and emotional capacity to play 14 more games this spring. If they pass that “check” they will win tonight. All the talk about how “fun” the Playoffs are tends to be meaningless at this point because the physical pounding makes cowards out of most. The “price” of beating good teams in the Playoffs is a lot of pain…Enduring pain earns the Stanley Cup.

And winning tonight starts by playing 1 solid shift at a time…Restoring the forecheck would be a great start.

Can’t win 2 games in 1 night. Can’t score 2 goals on 1 shot.

“Cannonading drive!!”

48. eat44 says:

Anyone want cheap Reds? Section 101 – Row W, centre ice?

49. Habcouver says:

I want a winning score displayed on the HIO Scoreboard in the summer months.
    Has to be 16W’s, Boys!
    GHG!!!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

50. BJ says:

Standing O for Chuck Kept Calm and Carey’d On, he’s confirmed the win, nine to go…….

51. Danno says:

Just remember.

It ain’t over until the fa…. Oh wait.

Who’s singing the anthem tonight?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

52. Danno says:

May the President’s Trophy curse haunt the Bruins tonight and Wednesday

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

53. habs-fan-84 says:

GO HABS GO!!

54. Phil C says:

“Douglas Murray has the advanced stats weenies on opioid painkillers.”

I see Boone has his A game for tonight.

55. SteverenO says:

Re: Beaulieu: (from previous thread)

regardless of how he performs, It would have been a tragedy had the series been lost and Beaulieu did not get a chance to play.

I know that I am no great “hockey mind” like Scotty Bowman or Jacque Lemaire, but knowing the Bruins like to dump the puck in deep and punish the defensemen against the glass, I would of considered that perhaps a smooth and fast skating defenseman would be something desirable. The Bruins seem to think that it is an asset they enjoy in their defense corps.

The shame is in not having Beaulieu and (Tinordi, and possibly even Patteryn who may be just as good as the other two) “Game ready” by virtue of having had more regular season game experience.

regards,

Steve O.

• johnnylarue® says:

1000% agree with this post–which is 100% times 10. (According to Johnny Larue’s Theory of Exponential Perfection.)

• DipsyDoodler says:

I agree with your agreement and multiply it by 10.

By the way, was I the only one who saw a subtle analogy to a glacier when Therrien said “we could all sense Murray’s physical presence back there”? That Therrien, what a cut up!

—–
        Moving. Forward.

56. Storman says:

Fearless prediction, Habs win in quadruple OT and i get arrested for impersonating CAPSLOCK DAN.

57. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Anyone have that Habs-themed Lord’s Prayer hanging around?

X X X X X X 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

58. Marc10 says:

It’s going to take something special. GHG

59. habfan100 says:

GO HABS GO! 4-2 Canadiens tonight! The roof is gonna blow off the building, the Habs will rattle Rask and bring the series back to Boston for Game 7. GO HABS GO!!!

60. Storman says:

I am watching the game in Patron Central Time i will you guys spoilers..

61. Max Pacioretty, and Vanek need to outplay Price, do that and we win.

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators

62. WindsorHab-10 says:

NEVER SAY NEVER. WE CAN DO THIS.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

63. moosenl says:

boycotting CBC tonight. Gonna pause live tv and sync up Sergio. Enough of the Canadian bruins channel

64. Storman says:

Blue Blanc Rouge Le Canadien Le Canadiennnnnne
    Blue Blanc Rouge Le Canadien Le Canadiennnnnne
    He Found The Dogs
    The Dogs are home
    He Found the DOGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

65. Habfan17 says:

I really hope this is NOT the last Live Blog for this season!!

Habfan17

66. Ozmodiar says:

N8 the GR8 !!!

67. Storman says:

HE FOUND THE DOGSSSSSSSSSSSS, GO HABS GO

68. Danno says:

Love that big cardboard PK head

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Bell Center going to be rock en tonight!

70. BJ says:

So here we go. The beginning of the end for Boston. After tonights, game one at the Bell vs Rangers.

71. HabFab says:

Louis Jean @LouisJean_TVA

Can confirm Nathan Beaulieu to make NHL playoff debut tonight

72. monmick says:

First?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

73. aversglay says:

Boston fan?

74. The Prustean Age says:

No, man’s, it’s CAPSLOCK DAN – the heroic bus-shelter Habs fan from a couple of games ago!

Screw the “hockey gods”!

75. The Prustean Age says:

what a douche: you have to COVER the thing, right?

Screw the “hockey gods”!

76. D Mex says:

Don’t think so – but he was whining a bit …

77. Danno says:

He was placing another order for two dozen donuts

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

78. D Mex says:

Nasty. Love it.

79. CJ says:

Stay safe buddy.

80. CJ says:

Let’s get him buddy!

81. boing007 says:

Put glue on his mouthpiece.

Richard R

82. UKRAINIANhab says:

Atta boy Dan. Take it easy buddy. Ghg!!!!!

83. Cal says:

He just keeps spewing himself. It’s what Jabba does.

84. Ozmodiar says:

Hammered enough that you forgot to use the caps lock key moments ago? You forgot who you were?

85. JohnBellyful says:

Thanks for whispering, Dan. Most people have gone to bed.