Liveblog: Playoff game 3 – Canadiens win a tight one, take 3-0 series lead

EllerTB

Stranglehold

The Canadiens scored early and hung on late to take a commanding 3-0 lead in this quarter-final series.

Rene Bourque, who's been sensational, opened the scoring 11 seconds into the game. And the Canadiens dominated the first 10 minutes of the opening period.

But Tampa Bay didn't quit.

A power-play goal by Ondrej Palat tied it and Ryan Callahan had a go-ahead goal waved off when the zebras called Alex Killorn for interference on Carey Price.

Brendan Gallagher restored the Canadiens' lead, capping a brilliant play by P.K. Subban at the end of the second period.

The sublime Tomas Plekanec scored less than six minutes into the third, but the visitors got a Matthew Carle goal to make it 3-2 and set up a tense final eight minutes.

The Canadiens go for the sweep Tuesday night.

Plekanec scores a big one

Tomas Plekanec, playing a brilliant 200-foot series, cashed a pass from Brandon Prust to give the Canadiens a 3-1 lead early in the period.

Over, right?

Wrong.

The Lightning got a Matthew Carle point-shot goal at 11:36 to set up a very hairy final eight-plus minutes.

Crazy stuff

An Ondrej Palat power-play goal, scored with dismaying ease, got Tampa Bay back into the game.

Then controversy.

With the Canadiens in total disarray, a Ryan Callahan shot found its way into the net.

But it was waved off on the dubious call that Alex Killorn had somehow interfered with Price.

Late-period heroics by P.K. Subban set up Brendan Gallagher for a go-ahead goal that came against the flow of play.

The Lightning had a 12-7 shot advantage.

Who is that number 17?

It took Rene Bourque all of 11 seconds to get the Canadiens on the board.

The Conn Smythe candidate was sprung by a superb P.K. Subban pass.

Shortly theereafter, the Canadiens had a four-minute power-play.

The visitors settled down as the period progressed, but the Canadiens had a 13-8 shot advantage.

Desperate visitors

Having dropped the first two games of the series on home ice, Tampa Bay needs a win in Game 3.

But the Bell Centre, one of the NHL's more raucous venues, will be rockin' and rollin' in support of the hometown Canadiens.

The atmosphere should be electric on Easter Sunday evening, as the Canadiens marketing mavens promise pre-game playoff pyrotechnics to pump up the capacity crowd.

Through their long and (mostly) glorious history, the Canadiens are 49-5 in playoff series they've led 2-0. But they have managed to squander three of the last four 2-0 series leads.

It should be a good one.

Puck drops 7:10ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

1,206 Comments

1. Danno says:

Wow!

Nobody does it like Montreal!!!

GO HABS GO!!!

2. db says:

….and CBC cuts to commercial

3. Captain aHab says:

Enough with the torch please.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Mavid says:

why? It is amazing..my hubby the Sens fan is totally impressed..could be alot worse..like that stupid Centurion they use.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Captain aHab says:

I guess I’ve had enough with pre-games ever since the Centennial year. Introduce the starters to get the crowd going, drop the puck and go. I’ll betcha the guys would prefer it too.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

4. johnnylarue says:

Ah been HYP-MO-TIZED!

5. db says:

Ok, that’s a sick intro..

6. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I predict a real run from the Lightning. If the boys can weather it, it will be time to grind Tampa down the way they did the first two games.

Hopefully, we’ll watch the Habs grab the momentum quickly and bring it to them.

7. Captain aHab says:

Someone please tell me they have no lengthy pre-game ceremony planned.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

8. Da Hema says:

Ok folks. 2000 comments tonight means Boone can actually fly to Turkey to get his score of hashish. Let’s do it for the Booner!!

9. Danno says:

Harp Lager. Very tasty!

10. Danno says:

The first goal is so huge

11. twilighthours says:

Lots of players swaps for TB. Interesting.

12. DipsyDoodler says:

Where’s the Boone hex?

C’mon. It’s not in the bag yet.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

13. HabFab says:

Finally someone with fashion sense… your gf’s and wives await theirs;

14. B says:

Ron butchers a Pagliaro song lyric

–Go Habs Go!–

15. db says:

I can’t wait to hear the roar after a big hit! Let’s get flying early boys!

16. habsfan0 says:

Laffs have the night off.
    Won’t stop Cherry and MacLean from commenting on them.

17. smiley says:

Freidman-“no sneakers tonight”!

18. john says:

let’s make cooper eat his words!!

19. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

” The unstoppable Rene Bourque has a pair”. Boone is one quotable fella.

20. habs-fan-84 says:

At the in-laws for Easter dinner. Unfortunately, going to miss some of the game on the drive home :(

GO HABS GO

21. Rugger says:

In honor of Lars Eller’s great start to the series, I just made Danish Pancakes for dinner!

22. Da Hema says:

Pacioretty needs to start scoring. He’s playing well, but regular season goals mean nothing now.

23. Millsie says:

What up? No comments

24. Habilis says:

BORK BORK BORK BORK!
    Hope he continues his resurgence tonight.

25. UKRAINIANhab says:

Lars is going to play awesommeee tonight, i feel it!!

26. dhenry1234 says:

Looking forward to seeing the boys show the world who the kings of the Jungle are!!!

Going to be a huge game! Patches opens up the scoring right away to get the crowd into and we destroy the lightning and their confidence! Vanek scores on the breakaway and Habs take it 6-0!

GO HABS GO!!! GO HABS GO!!!

27. habsfan0 says:

Patches scores in bunches..he hasn’t scored in 5 games.
    Way overdue.

28. Prop says:

GO HABS GO!!!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

29. Danno says:

The loud piped-in music sucks.

The crowd in Montreal is quite capable of making noise without the help of electronics

30. durocher says:

Let’s get this party started!

31. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hmm

Habs 1
    Bolts 0

Pacioretty

32. WindsorHab-10 says:

Habs are preparing a nice shi-burger & shoving it down Cooper’s throat. So hope we all.

33. Danno says:

Mike is four hours early! What a keener!!! :mrgreen:

34. MatsNaslund26 says:

How about Double D and the Big guns !

35. OptimystiCH says:

Re-posted from last thread
    I’ve been trying all weekend to come up with a name for our top line, the best i could come up with is the
    Desharnai S
    —–Vane K
    Paciorett Y
    SKYline. Maybe even the Montreal SKYline.
    The team is soaring and so is this line.
    I can envision a jet flying by at full volume on the jumbotron leaving a smoke trail with SKY written on it, and, each member of the line posing arms folded under their respective letters.
    “The SKY is the limit.”

Repent ye doubters. Our time is near.

36. Dulljerk says:

I expect Tampa to play a very physical game tonight. Even though they have speed, it has not worked for them. So, look for them to make some room on the ice with physicality. Should be interesting to see how Montreal responds.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• johnnylarue says:

In spite of what the hit count might suggest, Tampa have been on the losing end of the physicality battle so far. I don’t think they have the horses–or bulls–to really intimidate or dominate this incarnation of the Habs…

I do know that a Tampa win tonight would set the stage for the gruelling 6 or 7-game series everyone was expecting, and I hope to see Montreal display some of the killer instinct they showed in the last few weeks of the season, beating down repeatedly on desperate bubble teams…

37. piter says:

Seabrook sure got a B-Day present from the League today. Only 3 games is definitely a gift for that hit. I’m surprised Chicago’s sunk so low to be playing Boston’s style of hockey. All the slashes, the stick work, late hits and such. I guess they’re worried.

• Timo says:

Explain to me Seabrooke getting 3 games vs Lucic getting 5K fine. THe only think I wish is that Lucic was on the receiving end of that hit.

• Strummer says:

Don’t forget that 3 games in the playoffs is worth more than 3 regular season games.
      Potentially he could be out for the season if the Hawks can’t extend this to 6 games.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

38. ffenliv says:

There are many ups and downs about living in Nunavut (compared to my life in Ontario), but I will give it one large up: when the playoffs start, the weather is getting nicer, but still looks and feels like a regular Ontario winter.

• Habies says:

Hopefully borealis shines for Les Boys tonight.

From Copenhagen at 12:22am,
      Matthew-

• Mavid says:

were in Nunavut do you live?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• ffenliv says:

Baker Lake, in the Kivalliq. Unofficially the ‘belly button’ of Canada. Smack in the middle.

• Mavid says:

I work for First Air, so I am quite familiar with the north and Baker Lake, my husband also works there. He has a T shirt that says “Baker Lake Bites” because of the mosquitoes…LOL they just about carried him away

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• ffenliv says:

Ah, First Air. We only have First and Calm Air here in Baker. I generally try to fly FA, just because I’ve had some questionable experience on Calm Air. On the other hand, that little Dornier they fly Rankin – Winnipeg is so cute!

Wish First Air would fly the 737s into Baker. Short, gravel runway be damned. I like that roar!

• ffenliv says:

Also, out of curiosity, what do you do at First Air, and you say your husband works in Baker? Who does he work for?

• Mavid says:

sorry my punctuation is terrible..my husband and I both work at First Air..he as been to Baker Lake..is what I meant to say..
            I am in charge of the inventory (material control) my husband is in charge of GSE for the whole company..so he travels quite a bit to the north..he has been to all the small communities.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• ffenliv says:

In that case: got any good flight deals for me? :P

• Mavid says:

unfortunately no..our passes are limited to parents, siblings, and children under 21

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

39. Danno says:

I get the big PK head. Who is the other big head?

40. UKRAINIANhab says:

If habs lose this series ill move to Russia!

Boston and Philly won… I don’t like how today is shaping up hockey-wise. Habs better not eff it up tonight. Time to develop some killer instinct and crash TB.

• Haberoooo13 says:

We I don’t think we expected the bums from beantown to be swept and the Flyers aren’t the same type as a few years ago…their toughest player is their #2 goalie!

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

42. db says:

I can’t wait for Vanek to feel what the playoffs in Montreal are all about.

43. mark-ID says:

With the beauty weather out there…….Montreal must be an amazing place to be today. Wish I could be there. DT must be rockin’!

44. Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

Just finished a 45 day fast and now it’s time to enjoy a beer while watching the game!! Can not wait…. By the way most wine and beer is disgusting once you are not used to the taste. So I plan to condition myself accordingly tonight to be able to stand the swill for the hopefully long payoffs to come.

Good news on the young’ens being called up. They have endured a season amongst their peers also so are not un-initiated to what it takes to win, but I hope they see what kind of an extra gear they will need when it’s their turn to shine. I love these kind of moves.

• mark-ID says:

Good stuff. Congrats…..perfect day to be able to crack a cold one.

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

…this season, for Me, will not be satisfying unless We meet Boston, and beat them

…I also do not believe the Wings have nearly enough to beat Boston

…so, quite happy to not give a Hell about that series, excepting to hope they both beat each other up

• Timo says:

Yeah, Wings looked like they were not a match. But then again… I barely recognize any names on that team anymore. Maybe they took a page from the Habs book on rebuilding and will take next half century to build another winner.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…it won’t take half a century Micheal …the Wings have some grade A prospects and their farm team in the AHL way far ahead of Ours

46. Cal says:

Book of Hab
    Chapter 14
    p.3

And on this day of hope and redemption
    The Ste-Flanelle rose to meet their foe
    With courage in their hearts.
    For the faithful were with them
    And none could withstand their might.

So sayeth the Book of Hab.

47. frontenac1 says:

Easter,Eostra,Passover and 420. Everything is lined up for a Big Habs Win tonight amigos. Vas-y Les Boys!!

48. Danno says:

I still pick the Wings in seven

• AceMagnum says:

Agreed. The good guys will win. And we’ll see a worthy classy respectful talented opponent in round two just like we are in round one.

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

49. db says:

What a baby Lucic is….

50. Danno says:

Beer drinking begins in 41:35…

51. Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

about Tampa being the worst team in the playoffs actually they finished higher in the standings than the
    Habs sooo….

52. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

I’m not sure if I want the Bruins dispatched quickly, or if I’d rather they suffer a long, painful, 7-game series, with loads if OT and viciousness.

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

…is Jon Cooper the first lawyer to be a coach in the NHL ?

…when I first saw him, and heard him speak, he reminded Me of My own family physician here in Vancouver …so, was not surprised hearing he was educated as a lawyer

…he is very much a contrast to the crotch-scratching and word-mangling types that populate the NHL

54. Danno says:

Buck the Fruins

55. Mavid says:

Event begins in 5:28…gawd I hope not

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

56. trolly says:

Chintzy call on Quincey. Naturally the Goons score.

57. UKRAINIANhab says:

Boston runs EVERYONE from behind on every icing

58. Fansincebirth says:

Refs were told during the intermission that they called too many against the Broons and had to even it up in the 3rd

59. frontenac1 says:

4-1 Bruins. Ok Wings,goon it up.

60. UKRAINIANhab says:

Bs call

61. Danno says:

Refs 4 Red Wings 1

Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

62. Only because we haven’t lost yet can we say “THERE’S NO STOPPING US”

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Milan Lucic Has a Severe Problem

63. Habcouver says:

So far, Jon Cooper is a hard person to hate. On the other hand, the Walrus was easy.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• I like Cooper big time! He knows exactly how to work with players of the new era. I hope he wins the Adams.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Milan Lucic Has a Severe Problem

• ffenliv says:

It was easier for fans to dislike Maclean during that series because it was a very emotionally and physically charged affair, including the hit on Eller, and the game where Maclean called a timeout and loaded up a late PP in a game that was already won. Were it not for those incidents, no one here would care about him.

If some Tampa player goes out tonight and tries to decapitate someone, people here will turn on Cooper.

• mark-ID says:

Also the fact that we are leading 2-0 has something to do with it, I think. If it were the opposite…..I don’t think many of us would see such comments in the same light.

But yea Cooper seems like a pretty good guy. Maclean last year acted like such a child. Ughh…don’t like to think about it.

• ffenliv says:

That is also a fair point. Hadn’t thought of that. As a group, most sports fans, and probably just most people in general, are a lot easier when we’re succeeding!

• mark-ID says:

haha yea, just look at this site….everyone seems to be getting along!

• Mavid says:

wrong..living in Ottawa and married to a Sens fans I watch plenty Sens games..the guy is a jerk I hated him long before the series started

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• mark-ID says:

Mavid, i also live in Ottawa….all my friends and family tend to be Sens fans, so I see what you are saying. For me personally though, it was the playoff series that really gave me a bad taste in my mouth from the Walrus.

PS. I cannot imagine having a significant other who is a diehard from either the Leafs or Sens. I feel for you :)

• ffenliv says:

Ok, well that’s your own personal experience. Keeping in mind you live in ‘enemy’ territory, and are even married to one! I think your view might be a little … skewed.

• B says:

Is Cooper going with 7 D again today?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Habcouver says:

I would guess not if he needs more O. Palat is expected back who our boys should be given physical attention immediately.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

64. jctremblay says:

They win this one,,it’s over. Lose and we can start chomping on our fingernails again, IMO. Have to believe Tampa comes out charging like the BRuins did today..

65. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I know a lot of you are hockey fans but is not watching the bruins like cheating on your wife ?

66. Habcouver says:

The Event timer is like 4 hours slow.
    Let’s get this game going now! :D

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

One minute Lucic goes heavily into boards, 20 seconds later he gets a huge goal. Just not a fan of him or his Bruins. Hopefully Detroit can somehow come back this game, hate to see the Bruins get their confidence back.

68. twilighthours says:

1) Did Lucic just pound the spoked B on his chest? These sorts of antics will surely get a rise out of the Cherry crowd.

2) Nice alliteration, Boone, in that “mavens” sentence.

3) Propwash, I have no idea how you get these great screen captures so quickly.

69. 100HABS says:

Just got back from cottage, turn on the tube and I see Lucic is playing? So the league has no problem with repeat offenders – repeat slash to nuts? Should let Lucic practice on Bettman see if things change.

70. Storman says:

Too Funny–Anyone just watch McGuire interviewing Babcock behind the bench,, with the Bruin fan in the background with a beer in one hand and the other busy with a finger deep in nugget county..

71. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

3 -0

72. wildwilly says:

second!

• wildwilly says:

It seems many people (myself included) are being negative about the Canadien’s recent success. We are afraid to believe… Win tonight and many will begin to dream.

• db says:

I totally agree.. although, I believe!

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Positive is the way to go.
        Even keel is more appropriate.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t mean to add to the negativity but I think we’re playing the worst team in these playoffs.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

The Habs have won nothing, they have put themselves in good position. That’s it nothing more. They need 2 more wins to breathe deeply once again then it starts all over. The last thing the Habs should do is consider 2 wins anything more than a good first step.

The Lightning will come out blazing tonight. The Habs might be on the ropes again or they might come out with superior fire power. The series is theirs for the taking but they have to play to win not to “not lose” Fortune favors the brave!!!

Go Habs Go!!!!

I’m told they are playing the worst team so it doesn’t matter.

• Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

Oh then sorry for all the drama folks !Once again to everyone,,, apologies,, and to all the Celts thanks for taking it all in stride,,, again apologies.

I do agree with your post. Just didn’t quite believe the post above. Tampa may not have played their best yet, but we need to be ready for their best.

• Habcouver says:

Nervous as can be… but if MT has prepared our boys well tonight, we’ll be in for a treat.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

73. GO HABS GO

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Milan Lucic Has a Severe Problem

74. habsfan0 says:

He’s just provided the Habs with dressing room bulletin board material.

75. Danno says:

What did he say?

76. johnnylarue says:

With the Habs killing the TB rush in the neutral zone as effectively as they did in Game 2, I’m also feeling like this is Montreal’s series to lose at this point.

If they can maintain that level of discipline and continue to choke off the Lightning offence before it gets to the blue line, it’s case closed.

77. johnnylarue says:

Or, uh… corn and peanuts, as the case may be. ;)

(Gross, I know.)

78. Da Hema says:

To quote Cooper: “Plekanec is a little girly-man.”

79. JF says:

That the series wasn’t over because it wasn’t as if the Habs had never blown a 2-0 series lead. Not the exact words, but that was the gist.

80. Danno says:

Not smart on his part.

81. Da Hema says:

And his “the Canadiens are a bunch of girly-men” comment was unnecessary too.

82. Donkey Hoat says:

That sounds un-Cooper-like.

83. stevieray says:

It,s all about the length of your hockey pants I guess:)

84. Da Hema says:

It is a mystifying comment. While its emotional effect on his own team would be at best marginal, it certainly should fire up the Habs.

85. piter says:

…..for Gionta

86. Dust says:

He played good in last years playoffs too. He seems to up his game for the playoffs\

87. UKRAINIANhab says:

Boo hoo!

88. UKRAINIANhab says:

You see the future ?

89. Captain aHab says:

I wouldn’t knock Detroit/Babcock right away….

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

90. naweed235 says:

as far as I’m concerned, the Wings now have home ice advantage but more importantly, hockey IQ advantage

91. UKRAINIANhab says:

The title is thiers… suarez is king

92. UKRAINIANhab says:

Just my opinion. Good point

93. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m not so sure about Strombo and HNIC :)

94. sCOTT1243 says:

Can wait until Stroumboulopoulos takes over!

95. Coach K says:

Sure hope that’s the case and it wasn’t a Freudian slip.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

96. johnnylarue says:

I’m not saying they’re biased–just doing a piss poor job of managing a playoff game.

97. WindsorHab-10 says:

Don’t forget he saved a goal before a good goal was waved off.
    Thank you Zebras. Don Cherry is having a heart attack.

98. slapshot777 says:

I have never seen the like. CBC= Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and yet we have these morons cheering for Tampa Bay. I mean really, our tax dollars paying for these idiots to cheer for American teams. I can see NBC cheering for Montreal tonight. I bet that guy isn’t working the next game.

99. Danno says:

A good attorney knows it’s not prudent to show hostilities towards the judge

100. frontenac1 says:

Karma amigo, Karma. Saludos!

101. on2ndthought says:

tro……………………………………………………………….ll

“a cannonading drive”

102. danhabsfan says:

I guess you don’t understand the rules

103. w.p.d says:

WTF are you doing here? The rest of your bros are on the golf course .

104. sCOTT1243 says:

And it has never happened to the habs….as you were.

105. duffy says:

You get my Vote !

106. Et le but says:

We get it…

107. Dust says:

have to disagree. no one on the team i’d rather have on the ice at the end of the game than those two

108. twilighthours says:

Hey scot, on 5on5, plex and Gionta don’t play on the same line. So they really couldn’t be on for all of TBs goals (TB has no 4 on 4 goals)

109. punkster says:

Don’t bother man.

Release the Subbang!!!

110. UKRAINIANhab says:

No use mr. Twi

111. AliHaba says:

Nighty night

112. UKRAINIANhab says:

Away troll

113. Captain aHab says:

Every expert has said the call was good….give it a rest.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

114. Captain aHab says:

Kerry Fraser, whose has always hated the Habs, said the call was correct.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

115. nova scotia vees says:

You again. So this is what Leaf fans do with all their free time. Pose as a Habs fan on the Habs site. What a loser creep you are. Pitiful really.
    V.

116. third generation haber says:

That was the most retarded post I’ve read on HIO.

Referee’s, who have families to support and are aware that video replay has been invented, do not risk their careers to help their favorite teams win you idiot!!!

While bad calls have an impact on the game, they don’t allow teams to go up 3-0 in a series. Montreal, who is also subject to bad calls, is up 3-0 because they are outworking T-bay.

j.p. murray

117. habs001 says:

Stop crying in the basement ..i am sure mommy will find your Kessel doll soon and you will have a good night sleep with it…

118. TheLogician says:

a breathing living sens fan actually exists?? there goes the $20 i had on them finding a living sasquatch first.

119. sprague cleghorn says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

… ‘ow could we forget that?

120. chesterfiled says:

Whoa! Unorthodox! Is the expression ‘not catholic’ applicable? Sure let’s have Santa Klaus, Mean Gene and the great Joan Rivers officiate too. Complete chaos might be really fun, if no eyes are lost

121. Loop_Garoo says:

Ridiculous post, go home.

122. db says:

well, they have a lot of spare time…

123. TheLogician says:

his mom’s basement is in ottawa…so more likely that it’s a Spezza inflatable, not kessel, doll keeping him company.

124. Mr. Biter says:

Yeah, they can’t even make the Leafs win with an X box.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

125. Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

could be he finishes with the most points on the Habs this spring. Seems to be in on every goal.