Liveblog: Playoff Game 2 – Canadiens romp 4-1, lead series 2-0 coming home

CH celebrate in TB

Tight grip on series

The Canadiens fly home to Montreal Friday night with a stranglehold on their playoff series against tampa Bay.

Rene Bourque – !!!! – scored twice, and the Canadiens got a power play goal – !!!!! – from David Desharnais and a late on from Brendan Gallagher to craft a 4-0 lead before Teddy Purcell spoiled Carey Price's shutout.

Shots were 27-26 for the Lightning, who have a goaltending decision to make before Game 3 on Sunday at the Bell Centre.

Anders Lindback?

The Latvian Legend, Krister Gudlevskis?

Ben Bishop?

Domination

How do you protect "the most dangerous lead in hockey"?

By making it 4-0.

Breandan Gallagher drove Anders Lindback from the Tampa Bay net and Rene Bourque, with his second of the game, greeted the Latvian Legend, Kristers Gudlevskis.

With the goalie on the bench and TB on a power play, Teddy Purcell spoiled Carey Price's shutout bid.

PP and RB

David Desharnais cashed a shot-pass by P.K. Subban for the Canadiens' first power play goal since Pauline Marois was premier of Quebec.

Then a great Thomas Vanek pass sent Rene Bourque in to slip one past Anders Lindback, who missed a poke-check.

Brandon Prust won his fight against Radko Gudas.

Carey Price made a brilliant save on Cedric Paquette in close.

And the Canadiens had a 9-8 shot advantage.

Tighter tonight

A scoreless first period included Anders Lindback making breakaway saves on Brian Gionta and Max Pacioretty.

The Canadiens wasted a double-minor to Steven Stamkos by having Too Many Men on the ice during yet another inept power play.

The PP is 0-for-27.

Home team had an 11-10 shot edge.

Good game.

More of the same, svp

Your Montreal Canadiens and Tampa Bay cooked up 78 minutes of very entertaining hockey in the series opener.

After three of their four regular-season games ended in 2-1 Overtimes or Shootouts (the fourth was 3-1, with an empty-netter), the Canadiens and Lightning combined for nine goals – the last of which was scored by unlikely hero Dale Weise.

Michel Therrien was able to roll four fairly effective lines, and no fewer than 11 Canadiens made it onto the scoresheet.

There were, however, some anxious moments on the back end. And Carey Price was beaten four times on 16 shots in regulation time – before making nine saves in OT.

It's a safe Game 2 bet the Lightning will start fast as they try to avoid an 0-2 series hole heading back to Montreal for Game 3 on Sunday.

• There's something about playoff hockey on Good Friday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcihnPoh2EY

1,331 Comments

1. AceMagnum says:

Its pretty obvious we’re going to get annihilated tonight by Tampa.
    All this talk on Montreal radio like we’ve already won this series and how we dominated they’re asses, even though we barely escaped with a win, then there’s Bergevin’s embarrassing antics. Hockey gods will teach us a hard lesson tonight. It’s 2006 all over again.
    final score Tampa 7 Canadiens 1
    —————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

2. ABHabsfan says:

Boone: Go Daddy ads were better with Danica than with J-C Van Damn

3. johnnylarue says:

Left my watch on the nightstand today…

Can someone confirm for me whether or not it is “go time” yet?

4. Chwinsy says:

The loss is unpalatable for tampa bay

5. Butterface says:

Guys at CBC just stole my byline !!!

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

6. ABHabsfan says:

For Timo and my other Alberta ex-brethren: I am moving back. I was getting used to the higher taxes and the endless regulations in business around here so it was going ok. But today, on my birthday I may add, I thought I would get a rib eye and a good bottle of California Cab but I go down to the LCBO and it’s Friggin’ closed!! I miss Alberta where you can buy good booze from 10 am till 2 am every day. Why are they trying to regulate when I can buy booze? It’s un-Canadian! If I want a bottle of wine, someone should be able to sell it to me.Let’s go boys! Big win tonight, bury these guys early!

7. govenah says:

Fearless prediction: Bourque – Gordie Howe hat trick.

Believe it.

Lock and Spring -that’s the the ticket!

8. Mavid says:

Go Habs Go!!! I will try to keep the blood pressure down tonight..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

Kool Intro!

10. monmick says:

Game on, mes ami(e)s…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

11. jimmy shaker says:

Good game tonight everyone on here! C u after the game! Keep the bevies coming, the price saves rackin and the hab goals bulging the twine!

Shaker out!

12. frontenac1 says:

Vas-Les Boys!

13. Fansincebirth says:

Perpetual Jerk

14. dhenry1234 says:

Habs are going to absolutely destroy tonight. Win over some confidence! Boys will come home with a 2-0 lead in the series! 5-1 Montreal Tonight!! PK Scores low blocker on a sweet one timer to get the PP going!

GO HABS GO

15. HabsKid says:

Perennial Joke?

16. Storman says:

What a great piece by Friedman on Vanek,,, Hockey IQ off the charts..

17. ABHabsfan says:

It’s my birthday and the Habs owe me a win. They haven’t won on my birthday in a long time. Tonight’s the night

18. Marc10 says:

15 to go! Whoo!

19. CJ says:

I’m quite certain that both teams will be much better tonight. Tampa, although opportunistic in game one, looked disorganized and, seemingly, nervous throughout. They got better as the game went on, playing their best hockey in the second half of OT, but didn’t strike me as a team ready to push through to round two.

Montreal was good overall, but needs to tighten up. There were a number of missed assignments, all over the ice. I thought it was an odd game, however not entirely unlike any other game one this postseason. IMO, what I’ve seen this far is likely the exception and not the rule. Tonight we are likely to see a 2-1 type game. First goal is key – talk about stating the obvious, but if Montreal can score first they might be able to really get Tampa reeling.

I hope to see a good game, complete with hard checking and clean play. A far cry from the Habs Nords 30 years ago…..

Go Habs! CJ

20. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Decolletage
    Now that’s I word I should know.

21. Cal says:

Book of Hab
    Chapter14
    p2

And the Doubters gathered in force,
    Creating disharmony with every word they uttered.
    Yet The Faithful were heartened by the storm of words
    That battered their very souls,
    For they knew the hockey gods were with them
    And the Ste-Flanelle were wary of despair.

So sayeth the Book of Hab

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…funny, the most memorable recall of that very first NHL b & w television broadcast in 1953 was that Guy wearing the fedora behind the bench, Hector ‘Toe’ Blake

…My Dad wore the very same kind of fedora …and Toe looked a lot like My own Dad …and for weeks I thought My Dad had a secret second job :)

23. HabsPooch says:

Andi Petrillo has Mr.Boone more excited than the game tonight. Lol.

24. Storman says:

I dont even feel like eating,, its like i am playing,, i am so ready for this game ,, hope the boys are ready for the Bolts early push

25. habsfan0 says:

“Bit of decolletage on Andi Petrillo tonight”.by mike.boone 6:44 PM
    Hadn’t noticed.
    Too busy looking at her bust.

26. Storman says:

Pre game along the boards interviews are a cliche festival and a waste of 2 minutes of the players and viewers time

27. john says:

nice cleavage Andi

28. UKRAINIANhab says:

DD line blah blah blah
    Team game.

29. Cambridge Ron says:

Oh wonderful, we get to see some Kadri highlights on CBC, what a surpirise !!

Et le but !!!

30. Habcouver says:

Why do I seem to catch PJ Stock (in every attempt to avoid him) saying dumb things like “Price does not have a “je ne sais quoi” with the playoffs”.
    Does he get paid to yammer about?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

31. newbrunswick troy says:

wow , i’m watching cbc pre game coverage …all about tampa bay and what they need to do !!!
    I HATE CBC

• ffenliv says:

Perhaps it’s because the Habs changes aren’t really changes:

1) Crush them in the stats like the previous game

2) Rely on Carey for an extra save or two

Tampa, on the other hand, had a bad game, and were ‘bailed out’, even though they lost, by a couple of softies.

• Cambridge Ron says:

They are brutal, did anyone tell them the Laffs have been eliminated, I do not need to see Kadri highlights.

Et le but !!!

32. duffy says:

Anybody know what PJ stands for as in PJ Stock ?

Enjoy another great game folks! You to Mr. Boone.
    I’ve put lambs blood on every door post front and back last week.
    Were coming home up by two!!

34. habsfan0 says:

The Bolts will be better tonight.
    But so will Carey Price.

35. dhenry1234 says:

Time to show the League who the real Kings of the Jungle are!!!

GO HABS GO

36. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hedman did not make Sweden for a reason

I think we saw that reason last game…

37. Danno says:

Stoked!!!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

38. ffenliv says:

Don’t worry, Boone. I believe they said Fredman’s feature tonight would be on Vankek. Also, they interviewed Gorges, and discussed Price.

39. UKRAINIANhab says:

Subban Snipe tonight!

40. Fansincebirth says:

CBC = Company of Fools

41. DipsyDoodler says:

OK how about a tidy 3-0 win, no stress, no fuss?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

42. LeGrosBill says:

Fearless prediction: low scorig affair like the reg. season games. 2-1 maybe 3-1 with the last being an empty netter.

43. Danno says:

If Lindback gets the hook it will be the Latvian in nets – Kristers Gudelvski

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

44. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

The photo and the video above have 2 teams wearing similar uniforms.
    Too bad they don’t have an organist in TB.

Go Habs Go
    Go Habs Go
    Go Habs Go

45. Alex says:

Should be a good one tonight! Hoping for a well played game and hopefully controlling the play tonight. Price will need to be on his game, and I’m sure he will be. Still wish Tinordi was in the lineup by you can’t argue with what won on Wednesday! Go Habs Go!

46. CJ says:

@ Front – thanks buddy. Love chatting with you. Cheers, CJ

47. Mavid says:

That was a great video such a great rivalry. One of the few games I had the pleasure of attending at the Forum was a Habs/Nordique playoff game. We purchased standing room only tickets. We arrived at the forum early to wait at the door. Quite a large crowd gathered as it got closer to door opening. Once they opened the door everyone burst into the building and started running like crazy. My husband and I looked at each other confused but to ensure we did not miss out on why everyone is running, we started to run too. As I was running it donned on me why everyone was running..standing room included the Reds..we made it to the reds and secured out spot..if one of us had to leave the other had to spread out to take up the others space so nobody would sneak in. Good times the Bell center is nice..but there was no other better place to watch hockey then the forum.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I know Y’all have better things to do at the moment, but thanks to JCTremblay below, He linked Me to a YouTube video of the VERY FIRST NHL TV broadcast in Canada, April 16th, 1953

…THAT was My very first NHL game I watched, just short of My 6th birthday

…remember it like yesterday

49. Mr. Biter says:

Well leaving work to watch the game. back after we win. Cheers.
    Go Habs Go.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

I have mentioned that having Desharnais, Gallagher, Gionta, and Briere on different lines helps spread the wealth in terms of small gifted players. It provides each line a better size and skill balance than having two of the four aforementioned players on the same line would provide.

The other spread the wealth factor is that each line has veteran experience on it. Vanek, Plekanec, Gionta and Briere. No line is left out there completely without leadership.

This balancing of size and skill and veteran players with youth is looking to be a recipe for success by all appearances.

As a fan who has lived through some dark times, seeing the trajectory this team is heading in is very refreshing to say the least.

• JF says:

I think you mean a wealth of riches. “Dearth” means complete lack. But I agree (despite this nit-picking).

• HardHabits says:

I corrected that after realizing my error upon rereading. Writing in idioms doesn’t always work. ;-)

• JF says:

To answer your last point, I love the direction the team is heading in. Yesterday someone posted our line-up for Game 5 against the Sens. Yikes! It was painful to read. The difference this year is as between night and day. More skill, more speed, a lot more size and grit. I’ve had absolute confidence in Bergevin from the day he took over; from what I’d read, he is exactly who we needed. But I’m still very impressed by how quickly he’s managed to turn the team around. Not just trading for Vanek – the pièce maîtresse for now – but also the subtle, under-the-radar, and inexpensive depth moves.

51. UKRAINIANhab says:

If Galchenyuk comes back to you play him?

Tbh, I do not think he was playing well at all this season, and we should make sure he is fully rested for next year. Like our lineup as is!

Almost time! Go habs go

52. Strummer says:

” There were, however, some anxious moments on the back end”
    Bouillon in the O/T period looked like he was out of gas.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

53. Lafleurguy says:

What’s on tap?
    What did Aaron Ward mean when he said “not a chance?”
    Why didn’t Quenneville get penalized?”
    Do opponents ever get knocked out a la Parros, Moen, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn, Hamel?
    Who’s on for the opening face-off, and if you’re correct, do you think like Coach Therrien?

54. Habies says:

Intend on staying up to 4am here in Copenhagen to watch another win.

JUST PLEASE DON’T GET ANY INJURIES, Gents…

55. jctremblay says:

Just for your entertainment, lads and lasses… I actually met Joliat once in Ottawa..1985,,he was still skating on the Rideau Canal and the city gave him permission to skate with a hockey stick which was not allowed at the time..

56. Cambridge Ron says:

Going with Red wine for pregame, biggest decision do I start with CBC or just go right to RDS, only lasted a1 period and then got sick of Healy last game.

Et le but !!!

57. HankHardball says:

Bad news for the Charasites…

The President’s Trophy winner has won the Stanley Cup only twice in the last 10yrs.

Will we see Wings over Beantown?

58. dhenry1234 says:

Going to be a crazy huge win tonight! We’re in their heads and tonight Carey will be in their’s even more. a 5-1 win will be disastrous for the lightning, yet completely satisfying for us!
    GO HABS GO!!!

59. ProHabs says:

After seeing Alex Killorn play, did Louis Leblanc make the wrong decision by leaving Harvard.

60. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in My opinion, Lars Eller was ‘the difference maker’ in the first game

…He rose to the occasion

…DD, Pleks, Eller and Briere …DEPTH ! at centre

…none ‘great’, but all 4 lines solid

61. Question from last thread that went unanswered as everyone elbowed their way to the first comment of this thread;

Where should that spitfire Gally be used to best take advantage of his skills. I’m concerned he is being buried and not used properly with Pleks and Prust. Love this kid!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

62. Habitant in Surrey says:

Quote Philippe Couillard, Premier Of Quebec, and the Roman philosopher Seneca;

“There is no favourable wind for someone who does not know where they are going.”

63. Prop says:

Hope they’re up 2-0 on the series before coming back to the Bell Centre.

GO HABS GO!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

64. habsfan0 says:

If this series goes 6 or 7 games, any chance of Galchenyuk returning?

• Kid will be favoring his leg as he came back from reconstruction on the other leg. Won’t be the same and definitely was not performing with the Habs. Wouldn’t be upset if he sat out the whole run so he can heal for next year. Still believe MT screwed that young man up (let the hate begin…)

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

65. The Jackal says:

@UCE or anyone else familiar with Whistler
    Any good places to watch the game on Sunday?
    CHeers!

GO HABS GO!!!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

66. Bash says:

When Chucky returns who sits??

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

67. Storman says:

Go Habs Go,, good time for a pre-game Darren Puppa, hopefully it doesn’t Stan Smyl too much

68. FanSince1969 says:

First?

69. db says:

Will we hit 1000 comments before game time?

70. paul_b says:

Let’s go Habs

71. Habitant in Surrey says:

Mike Boone: MARCH 25, 2014 AT 7:54 AM;

“Finding every way to stir up sh.. is pretty much my job description.”

…just sayin’ :)

72. Habitant in Surrey says:

…LOSER !!! :(

73. HabsFanInSaintJohn says:

74. UKRAINIANhab says:

*sprays on troll repellant”

75. Seda Moss says:

Ok, well almost never. :-)

76. Seda Moss says:

I’d like to see that stats, though. It does feel like the CH must have a lower than average shooting percentage on breakaways.

77. DipsyDoodler says:

Didn’t Gionta score breakaways in the last two games?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

78. hablifting says:

Agreed.

79. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey thanks, that’s a good one, better than firstrow.
    Cheers

80. Millsie says:

I missed it too.

81. DipsyDoodler says:

Maybe they’re cheering Ryan Callahan?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

82. Harditya says:

Full marks to him. Series is not done, but people said the walrus was outcoaching Therrien previous playoffs. Not the case this year.

83. Et le but says:

Who cares?

84. Peter Young says:

No, another goal for Tampa Bay would lift their morale a bit. We have to have the killer instinct, and that means no room for sentiment.

85. slapshot777 says:

He likes the feel of them. The League should be looking at this. It is the same as a spear.

86. Fansincebirth says:

Even better, why doesn’t the league do something about assholes like this?

87. Da Hema says:

I’ve always argued someone should call up a career AHLer, and just get the guy to two-hand and shatter Lucic’s wrist. Applies to Chara too.

88. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

If the league does nothing again then the others will know that his boys are in play.

89. habcertain says:

Teach me master

90. olematelot says:

Come on guys, seriously!!

91. Da Hema says:

Yes, seriously. That is no less than Chara slamming a player’s head into a stanchion. I would applaud whoever did that to Chara or Lucic.

92. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

+++

93. Slackman says:

yep. A small victory for Cooper

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

94. Coach K says:

I recommend a knee on knee or well placed slash by some no-name AHLer. That’s how you deal with it when the league outright refuses to.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

95. HabFan in Edmonton says:

It’s a perfect night. It doesn’t get better than this. The Habs are playing great, everyone is on the same page.

96. Captain aHab says:

Only if Phaneuf shot a 90 on a par 3 would this night be better.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

97. Habitant in Surrey says:

…certainly would

98. krob1000 says:

There aren’t many arenas where the Habs don’t have a serious following….Tampa is a place where there are always plenty of Habfans. Team was no diff’t at home or on road all year….they are built for playoff hockey with their depth. They have an entire unit of 5 physical guys if they matchup with the Bruins who can all hold their won with the B’s….or they can drss like this against the Wings or TB….the beauty of depth.

99. Habitant in Surrey says:

…more or less :)

Let’s be honest here. Bishop being out tipped the series considerably in the Habs favour.

101. HabinSquamish says:

You just can’t shut up with your negativity can you?