Liveblog: Playoff Game 1 – Weise goal seals 5-4 OT thriller

PleksTB

Ideal scenario

Playoffs start on the road?

No problem.

Your Montreal Canadiens won an overtime thriller on a goal by Dale Weise, of all people, 18 minutes into Overtime.

He was set up by Daniel Brière, who – true to his postseason pedigree – was superb in Game 1.

The Canadiens outshot Tampa Bay 44-25 and were full value for the win, despite blowing two third-period leads.

Tomas Plekanec, Brian Gionta, Lars Eller and Rhomas Vanek scored in regulation for the Canadiens.

The great Steven Stamkos had a pair for the home team, who also got goals from Nikita Kucherov and Montreal homeboy Alex Killorn.

Dale Weise?

Did you have him in your OT pool?

Dale Weise scored on the Canadiens' 44th shot of the game.

And Carey Price made nine big saves in OT.

Back and forth

Lars Eller gave the Canadiens their first lead of the game.

Two minutes later, Alex Killorn tied it at 3-3.

Then Thomas Vanek completed a great passing play with David Desharnais to make it 4-3.

That lead lasted less than two minutes.

Mistakes by Michäel Bournival and, crucially, Mike Weaver set Killorn off on a 2-on-1 that Stamkos completed.

Shots in the period were 13-5, and the Canadiens have a 35-16 advantage in the game.

On to OT.

Playoff hockey

Steven Stamkos went after Andrei Markov after a hit on Ondrej Palat, and the intesnity ramped up to playoff level.

Stamkos went end to end, beating Brandon Prust and Alexei Emelin, before firing a low shot that beat Carey Price to his stick side.

Then with P.K. Subban in the penalty box, Lars Eller sprang Brian Gionta and the captain tipped his own rebound past Anders Lindback.

Shots were 8-7 Canadiens, 22-11 on the game.

Good one.

Many shots, one goal

Nikita Kucherov opened the scoring, as the Canadiens were flummoxed by a Radko Gudas shot that bounced off the dasher behind Carey Price.

The lead lasted 19 seconds.

Tomas Plekanec faked the aforementioned Gudas out of his cup and beat Anders Lindback with a roofed wrister.

The Canadiens had a 14-4 shots advantage but were inept on the game's only power play.

Here we go

The Canadiens playoff series against Ottawa last spring was nasty, brutish and short.

We can expect a better run against Tampa Bay this time around – if only because some of the younger Habs have been playoff-bloodied (in Lars Eller's case, literally). And the Lightning stress speed and skill, so the Canadiens likely will be spared the thuggery that Ottawa laid on them last year.

Based on the four games the Canadiens have played against Tampa Bay this season – three of which were won by the Lightning – it should be a tight series.

And, let's hope, a fun one to watch.

Puck drops 7:10ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

2,075 Comments

1. WVHabsfan says:

I just don’t understand why anyone would do that. It is not the US versus Canada. It is one city against another city

2. WVHabsfan says:

I love the idiots waving the US flag behind the Habs bench. How ignorant. I am from the US by the way before anyone starts

3. JohnBellyful says:

“Just like that, the Habs, who lost home ice advantage on the final game of the season, have seized it back by ensuring a split in Florida.”
    – Globe and Mail

I see that statement made all the time when a team splits the first two games on the road. How is it the visiting team seized back home ice advantage? What they’ve done is neutralized it.
    If the series goes seven, three games remain to be played at Montreal and three games in Tampa Bay.
    Now if Montreal wins the next game as well, then, yes, they do have home ice advantage, and a 2-0 series lead.
    The only way you could argue Montreal now has home ice advantage is if you assume they’re going to win the next three, with two of them being at the Bell Centre.
    And I won’t play devil’s advocate against a sweep.

• habsguy92 says:

the reason is that if the home team won the remainder of the games, Mtl would take the series in 6.

• JohnBellyful says:

I see.
        So the home team loses the first game, and the thinking then is that the home team after that will play at least .500 hockey, and not that the visiting team will continue the trend of winning on the road …

• habsguy92 says:

essentially

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve always looked at it as, even if there’s a split with the Lightning winning on Friday, the series is now essentially a best of five, with the Canadiens having three games at home, and the Lightning two. So, the Habs have now essentially claimed home ice.

• JohnBellyful says:

As soon as I posted I realized I was a dolt — and joined the burgeoning crowd sharing the same opinion gathering off to the side. Met a lot of family members I hadn’t seen in years.

4. Butterface says:

While I thought we played well in limiting the shots of TB, there were some worrisome things to take into game 2.

Firstly nothing wrong with the D. Thought Boullion had a decent game. Weaver was unlucky on the pinch. Likely won’t be so aggressive next game. PK played as he has the last few months…not the same PK we knew and loved. Markov and Emelin were below average.

Let’s face facts though, Carey would have been the goat had we lost. Now we can say, if Carey plays like he has all season, we can only get better. We deserved the game, but almost lost it.

I expect a better defensive effort game 2. Mental mistakes and bad decisions hurt us for goals, but we kept their shot totals low. Next game I hope Price plays less leaky.

As far as forwards, I think other than the consensus that Prust laid an egg, they all get high marks. Eller and Briere and Pleks were fantastic.

We can keep the same forwards…. Prust gets a break as it was his first game in a while.

Defence will maybe be changed. If they do, Boullion for Murray. Not sure I want Weaver out of the line up or Emelin…. so if anything Murray for Boullion. But this line up won, so MT may give them all a second game.

Why keep the same line up ? …… read the below byline.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

5. AliHaba says:

Think we’ll see Gudlevskis Friday?

6. kalevine says:

Tampa coach in presser, far cry from the Walrus. Class all the way.

7. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I’m sure Jon Cooper is a good coach but nice guys finish last. He and TB are going down this year! Go Habs go! Take no prisoners and kick some ass.

8. Rad says:

Impressive win by the visiting team tonight. Habs were solid and look like they mean business this year. It was nice to see some of our most maligned players play some of their best hockey tonight: players like Eller, Bourque, Bouillon, and Briere. They seem intent on resurrecting their sub-par seasons with inspired play in the post-season. I thought Prust was vastly over-used by Therrien in his first game back from injury. Clearly, his timing and stamina were off, and his 18:09 TOI was more than Bourque, Gionta, Vanek, Briere, Bournival, and Lars Eller, among others. One of Therrien’s biggest weaknesses as a coach is this tendency to overplay his favorites.

9. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Please… can the Bell Centre video guys help to make the “Marc-arena” a thing when the Habs score?

X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

10. GoldenSeal says:

What’s the latest on Chucky?

11. HabsPooch says:

One player who doesn’t get enough credit and played fantastic tonight was Bournival. He was our fastest player tonight and very strong on the forecheck and creating some turnovers out there as well as some offensive chances. It’s very encouraging to see…

12. Willy the bum says:

A win in first two Tampa games is key for a good series.

13. rogieshan says:

Please fix the power-play.

14. Adidess says:

Where is CJ? I hope he didn’t see that exchange from the other day as a personal attack. That was not my intention at all.

Can’t wait for game #2 on Friday. And then there’s Sunday where I’ll be on hand for the action. I imagine Bell Center will be rocking after a successful road trip, with a tie or even a possible 2-0 lead. If not, then I’ll take charge and make it rock!

Go Team CHanada!

• HabsPooch says:

He’s taking a break. He’ll be back soon…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Adidess.
      CJ posted a longish message yesterday (early in the “Prust” thread? – sorry can’t recall) in which he said he was taking a break from HIO. I didn’t get the impression he felt he’d been subjected to a personal attack. It seemed more that he lost a bit of his own confidence in posting. He seems to be quite a reflective guy, as well as very knowledgeable and a good writer, one of our classier posters. His post was followed by numerous replies encouraging him either not to take a break at all or else to keep it short.
      Cheers

15. montrealtilldeath says:

As I stated earlier today Eller will be big in these playoffs. I remember how big he played in the series we almost beat the Bruins. He is big strong and quick. His game suffers when he has to look over his shoulder at Therrian if he makes a bad play.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

ENOUGH with the Therrien nonsense! CHRIST ALMIIIIIGHTYYYY

• GoldenSeal says:

The nonsense will not end until he stops making dumb coaching moves and is booted off the team.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

lol ok, wiz

• GoldenSeal says:

Tks I feel better now.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

We’ll be sure to boot him off the team after his 16th playoff win this season. That’ll learn him for makin’ dumb coaching moves!

X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• laGrandeTerreur says:

dumb coaching moves like not putting in RYAN WHITE like assclowns on here wanted in favor of bourque? Truly an arrogant deluded bunch on HIO

• GoldenSeal says:

Not for Bourque but I’m wondering if Prust should sit for White. I think that the team wants Prust around but at the end of this season some serious thought needs to be put in to Prust’s future with this team. I do not see a big upside in the future with Prust but then again what do I know.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I’ll agree with you there. Prust was good with the young G’s at the beginning of last year. Outside of that, I fail to understand all the love people and the media give him. I’d rather Moen than him, as Moen is pretty great defensively, and they both suck on O. but until Moen is healthy, this is what we got.