Liveblog: Playoff Game 1 – Weise goal seals 5-4 OT thriller

PleksTB

Ideal scenario

Playoffs start on the road?

No problem.

Your Montreal Canadiens won an overtime thriller on a goal by Dale Weise, of all people, 18 minutes into Overtime.

He was set up by Daniel Brière, who – true to his postseason pedigree – was superb in Game 1.

The Canadiens outshot Tampa Bay 44-25 and were full value for the win, despite blowing two third-period leads.

Tomas Plekanec, Brian Gionta, Lars Eller and Rhomas Vanek scored in regulation for the Canadiens.

The great Steven Stamkos had a pair for the home team, who also got goals from Nikita Kucherov and Montreal homeboy Alex Killorn.

Dale Weise?

Did you have him in your OT pool?

Dale Weise scored on the Canadiens' 44th shot of the game.

And Carey Price made nine big saves in OT.

Back and forth

Lars Eller gave the Canadiens their first lead of the game.

Two minutes later, Alex Killorn tied it at 3-3.

Then Thomas Vanek completed a great passing play with David Desharnais to make it 4-3.

That lead lasted less than two minutes.

Mistakes by Michäel Bournival and, crucially, Mike Weaver set Killorn off on a 2-on-1 that Stamkos completed.

Shots in the period were 13-5, and the Canadiens have a 35-16 advantage in the game.

On to OT.

Playoff hockey

Steven Stamkos went after Andrei Markov after a hit on Ondrej Palat, and the intesnity ramped up to playoff level.

Stamkos went end to end, beating Brandon Prust and Alexei Emelin, before firing a low shot that beat Carey Price to his stick side.

Then with P.K. Subban in the penalty box, Lars Eller sprang Brian Gionta and the captain tipped his own rebound past Anders Lindback.

Shots were 8-7 Canadiens, 22-11 on the game.

Good one.

Many shots, one goal

Nikita Kucherov opened the scoring, as the Canadiens were flummoxed by a Radko Gudas shot that bounced off the dasher behind Carey Price.

The lead lasted 19 seconds.

Tomas Plekanec faked the aforementioned Gudas out of his cup and beat Anders Lindback with a roofed wrister.

The Canadiens had a 14-4 shots advantage but were inept on the game's only power play.

Here we go

The Canadiens playoff series against Ottawa last spring was nasty, brutish and short.

We can expect a better run against Tampa Bay this time around – if only because some of the younger Habs have been playoff-bloodied (in Lars Eller's case, literally). And the Lightning stress speed and skill, so the Canadiens likely will be spared the thuggery that Ottawa laid on them last year.

Based on the four games the Canadiens have played against Tampa Bay this season – three of which were won by the Lightning – it should be a tight series.

And, let's hope, a fun one to watch.

Puck drops 7:10ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

2,075 Comments

1. Willy the bum says:

See the clip on Weise’s game-winning goal, Lindback thought the puck was on Bournival the whole time. Just to make sure to you all folks that Lindback was a grade-F backup, no more.

• GoldenSeal says:

His technical ability is definitely weak but it does not matter when you are on a roll. Let’s hope he does not put in a Craig Anderson playoff performance for the rest of the series.

2. GoldenSeal says:

Nicest surprise of the game: Bourque and Eller.

• Willy the bum says:

Brière, but I guess that’s why he was signed in the first place.

107 points in 106 playoff games for Brière, according to tonight.

• GoldenSeal says:

Yes, Briere as well. Surprising how many chances the so called fourth line got.

• GoldenSeal says:

I think that Pleks and Briere should be playing on the same line though. Prust looked out of place.

• Willy the bum says:

Prust down in fourth with Weise and Bournival, but then they won’t have Brière’s passes for them.

• HardHabits says:

I disagree. Briere, Gallagher, Desharnais and Gionta all on different lines is the way to go. Those guys are all skilled and determined players and having bigger bodies around them allows them each to work their unique and individual magic.

3. laGrandeTerreur says:

Extremely impressed with the down-low puck control.

Extremely surprised by how bad the Tampa Bay defense is with the puck. For as bad as I thought Subbie was in the 1st, Hedman was an utter disaster. Maybe the worst player in the arena tonight.

Brière – awesome; Bourque – great; Eller – great; Plekanec – great; Gorges and Markov – very good; VDP line – usual goodness; Therrien coached well. Bouillon proved why he’s in the lineup, and others are not.

Subban needs to return to 2010 form. Price was only truly bad on the 5-hole goal, though the others weren’t great.

Anyone (jlgib) complaining about being outhit knows nothing about hockey, or reality for that matter.

Lineup will not and should not change. Montréal dominated this game.

4. CH Marshall says:

15 more to go. GO HABS

Only 3 games left in this series!

What are you wearing to the Parade on St. Cathrine this year???

A silver CUP!

6. Willy the bum says:

Bouillon and Weaver are plus 2. That pairing must done something right.

7. krob1000 says:

I wonder if Dale Weise’s Dad did a dance like Bergy….I would bet he did!

• johnnylarue says:

Has “the Bergy” been made into a GIF yet?

I give it… maybe an hour. ;)

Oh, and when a kid like Dale Weise shelfs an OT winner like that, I think we’re ALL proud fathers!

8. Prop says:

Crap on Price all you want, he came up big in OT (which was the only period I managed to see due to band practice)

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• BigB says:

Habs forever!

• on2ndthought says:

as if counting shots determines how good a goalie is
      sometimes it is quality
      sometimes it is the number of flukes or mistakes

“a cannonading drive”

• johnnylarue says:

Ironically, I was going to have to be at band practice myself for most of the first round, but our recording session was bumped forward a couple of weeks… to make room at the studio for AC/DC, who, double-ironically, might not even be coming to record after all (due to M. Young’s illness.)

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Are you at The Warehouse in Vancouver? Brian Johnson said today that they’d be recording with or without Malcolm.

X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

They won, so he made all of the saves that counted. Sounds like good goaltending to me!

X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• HabsPooch says:

Price was terrible on a few goals but he did perform well in overtime. I think we’ll see a better performance next game.

9. boing007 says:

@ Cal
    If you tweet send your line on Weise to Conor and Tony tout de suite.

Richard R

10. johnnylarue says:

Price’s jitters aside, that was among the most dominant performances I’ve seen from the Habs this season.

I guess Therrien wasn’t lying about them being ready this time around.

11. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

An overtime win? Feels like ’93!!!

X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

12. on2ndthought says:

ducks-stars
    star showers goalie, gets aggresive after whistle, gets penalty
    ducks score
    gets rid of crap… call the penalties refs!!!

“a cannonading drive”

13. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Just hurt my back trying the MB dance…will flop on my bed like most of the Habs D flopped on the ice tonight…LOL

15 MORE TO GO!

14. nova scotia vees says:

Subban was just fine. For God’s sake open you eyes and watch the real disasters tonight…Prust and Markov. And please let PK shoot..especially on the p.p.
    V..

• Chris says:

Markov and Subban were equally bad tonight, in my opinion. Fortunately, both will be a lot better in Game 2…you can pretty much count on that.

• GoldenSeal says:

Hard to understand why so many people dissing PK. He does not deserve it. His one mistake was trying to sell a knee on knee. Can’t really blame him for retaliating though. That kind of play can end your career. I saw other D including Markov making a lot more mistakes.

• HabsPooch says:

Why does everyone say Pk was fine tonight? He wasn’t fine. He hasn’t been fine for months now. What his defensive play closely. He can’t cover his man properly, he chases his opponent behind the net -basic no-no when playing defence- stumbles all over the place and when on offence always over-handles the puck and makes unnecessary moves that leads him nowhere.
      Whether it’s the coaching, lack of confidence or whatever you call it…he is not fine.
      And to show you how stats can be misleading…Weaver was a +2 tonight but struggled to keep up with the play. Plekanec on the other hand was great tonight but a -2…you can’t put too much emphasis on plus minuses.
      I’d like to see Weaver replaced with Tinordi next game. Bigger, faster, stronger.

• GoldenSeal says:

I thought his coverage of Stamkos was miles ahead of Markov’s and Emelin’s. But that’s just me I guess.

• twilighthours says:

Not just you. Also, PK was fine.

• Chris says:

Subban should be on against Stamkos…he and Gorges are far better equipped to handle him than Markov and Emelin. I’m quite okay with Gorges vs. Stamkos for the series: Gorges played exceptionally well against Crosby and Ovechkin in that 2009 run, and they were at the peak of their games that year. He can handle Stamkos. His speed is adequate, and he is positionally sound.

• HabsPooch says:

Maybe he was but that’s not saying much tonight.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I totally agree with you. He owes Gorges a dinner. Josh bailed him out a few times. Don’t know what’s wrong, but there’s something.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

15. Mr_MacDougall says:

All the praise Hedman got and he was a turnover machine! Keep pressuring 77!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

16. Frozen Village says:

11 habs with a point tonight, balanced scoring, (3 of our top 5 were not part of those 11. The boys were a juggernaut tonight. PK looks ready to flick the switch, Carey did, and Max is finding it. Hats off to DD who says an Eller fan can’t respect what DD is bringing. Larry was a battering ram, back with his superlative hand-eye sharpness in the small advancing plays along the boards and to the finish,

White in for Prust, needs to be spelled – Tinordi in for Weaver for a game at least, needs to improve his gap and have better anticipation, he is plenty fast and rangy.

Cheers

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

17. Willy the bum says:

Lots of watching clips for the Habs tomorrow to fix the problems. Stamkos is still a threat and Tampa D is like rotten butter.

Let’s make Game 2 an easy win for us.

18. durocher says:

Weaver was the goat for one of the Bolts’ goals, but he was +2. Still, I think he sits for Murray in Game 2

19. prep says:

I don’t know if they were laughing at me or at my wife

20. jmac21 says:

Great job fixing the PP Mikey!!!
    Brutal AGAIN

21. prep says:

I did the robot in front of my and her friends on the or goal

22. C-Sword says:

Who would’ve thought the Bolts and the Habs would end up having the most entertaining game tonight? I was seriously expecting it to be a snorefest, very low scoring and boring.

The Good:

Briere, he made great passes, one of them led to the OT winner, he won puck battles despite his small stature.

Eller, he used his size to his advantage, keeping the puck to himself for too long paid off for once.

Bourque, great forecheck, he made the 2nd effort to recover the puck, something he rarely did during the regular season.

Gionta, the captain was there when needed.

The Bad:

Weaver, Prust, Gallagher, Subban and Price.

23. jctremblay says:

OK..that was heart stopping..but can we get back to playoff hockey next game. Carey? Good to get that one out of your system..not all your fault but still..you stoned them in the OT..I pronounce you forgiven. The small guys were great tonight..Briere ( as usual in the SCP),Pleks,Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher, Gorges (saved the game and bailed out a generally out of it PK time after time) …
    Don’t care about the bad zone coverage now…they win..put it behind ya and KNOW you can beat this team if you just play your game. Woof..I’m exhausted…my JC Tremblay sweater is all sweaty…lol

24. johnnylarue says:

This begs a question: were the Habs not even *attempting* to forecheck the TB defence in the regular season games?

In my endless fretting over this series, I had an image of their D squad as a stoic, smooth skating, laser-sharp outlet-passing machine–as opposed to the industrial grade turnover production unit we saw on the ice tonight. The Tampa D was utterly brutal tonight… and shockingly soft, I might add.

25. Storman says:

Jon Cooper makes me think i am watching a movie and Michael Keaton is coaching the bolts in the movie

26. HABitat4humanity says:

For the sake of Price criticism for the rest of the summer, glad they won tonight. Subban was prob playing injured becuz he was not himself tonight. Can we please get 4 offensive players on the PP. Have pleks at the point. We are not freeing up Subban at the point. He needs to be moved to the slot. Also Bourque and others need to cause kore traffic. Even gally is less infornt of the net these days.

Winners: Weise, Eller and Bournival.

Losers: Price, Subban, Prust.

• Chris says:

I thought the same thing about Subban, especially in the first. His skating was very laboured for the first 10 minutes. He looked more “normal” in the 3rd and OT.

27. Cal says:

That was a good one for the nerves. Friday can’t come too soon.
    Loving that playoff hockey.

28. Sportfan says:

Habs have won one more game than any other Canadian team will this post season.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

29. JohnBellyful says:

Stamkos’ first goal was a bullet, and to the far side, but I thought Price could have positioned himself better on the shot, so it was good to see he was the difference in OT.

30. The Juice says:

Agree Boing. Weaver out. Tinordi in!

• Willy the bum says:

Can Tinordi takes the speed of the Lightnings?

• GoldenSeal says:

He has good speed for a big guy. Surely better than Cube and Weaver.

• Adidess says:

Bouillon didn’t play a bad game at all, so I doubt MT will take his trusted veteran out of the lineup in order to put in a rookie D he didn’t trust enough during the regular season.

Go Team CHanada!

• GoldenSeal says:

I agree that the Cube will not sit as he is one of the coach’s pets. But I would think that he would want Tinordi to get some game time and Weaver has given him a reason to swap, but as I said expect the unexpected with this coach.

• The Jackal says:

It’s not that he is “coach’s pet,” Cube played a great game tonight and deserves to keep playing.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

31. GoldenSeal says:

Tinordi in but who goes out?

Cube, Weaver, Emelin?? Tough call but my guess is that MT will not sit Frankie or Emelin so look for Weaver to be having coffee with Murray. Not to worry Douglas…you’ll be needed in the Boston series.

32. Harditya says:

Sorry if posted earlier, here’s Bergevin’s reaction LMAO

33. slyCH says:

LOL, Tampa has no chanche. LOL!

34. Storman says:

That was fun game to watch sober,, Friday’s game may be a little more expensive

35. aversglay says:

Did cooper used to be on kids in the hall?

36. krob1000 says:

It is unfortunate that Murray is not probably up to speed against TB…would love to see him go with Gudas. Two of the meanest looking guys in the league for sure….when hockey is done they can both play villains in Hollywood if they like.

37. Sportfan says:

After tomorrow I have a paper and a take home due later on in the month, Friday ill be rocking and drinking while watching our Habs hopefully win game two in regulation!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• twilighthours says:

Take home? In university? Sounds like a cheat-fest to me.

• Chris says:

Lots of courses have been doing those lately. I would never, ever go that route. The cheating is already rampant. Why invite more?

I walked in on a room of chemistry grad students cheating on their take-home final a couple of years ago. They were supposed to be working alone, yet there were 6 of them working on it as a group assignment. They had actually recruited a grad student from another department to help them on the math for the problems, as they were pretty weak mathematically.

When grad students start cheating on exams, you know that the system is busted. Those are the people that are supposed to have a modicum of academic dignity.

38. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MB’s celebration “moves” are awful..LOL. I’m waiting for the giff from Props already…

39. krob1000 says:

Bourque-Eller-Gio all phenomenal. BEst game Eller ahs played in months. Briere showed that with more icetime and put in position to succeed he can still deliver. Vanek…special palyer, Dd made some great plays and hustled his tail off, Patches didn’t seem to have any puck luck tonight but was not poor….would like to see more hustle on the backcheck from him though. Pleks looked good too, Purst had a forgettable night.
    Bournival and Weise were also very effective…they are very,very good on the boards and down low. MOntreal has turned into a team that can control the play below the goal line…a huge, huge asset moving forward.

The D had some scary moments along with Carey early. I am not sure I can honestly say any of the d played really well. If I were to pick the steadiest it was probably Gorges. PK ran around a bit taking himself out of position for hits, Weaver with an ill advised pinch and a few other moments that are unlike the cerebral dman we have seen so far. Markov and Emelin both struggled with TB speed and Bouillon did as well. I really think the backcheck is going to be pivotal as TB will get their breaks and with their speed will draw Montreal D out of the middle for fear of being beat wide and then trailers become very dangerous. There was an aggressive mindset on the forecheck but the backcheckin g at times was worrisome. Stamkos alone probably broke up more rushes than any 3 Hab forwards on the backcheck. TB too fast to not have at least one hard backchecker through middle of rink at all times.

• twilighthours says:

I love your autocorrects. Disagree with your takes on D. Whole team was very good tonight, weaver the possible exception.

• krob1000 says:

I thought D struggled mightily got caught standing still a lot and made some odd decisions at odd times. They did well scrambling I guess but way too much misreading speed through the neutral zone, some odd times to attempt to hold pucks in and even stranger times to stand guys up. They ran all over in my opinion but I am pretty hard on dmen. I think they should buy time for backcheckers and not take themselves out of position for hits so often….I know some people prefer the big hits and the standing up…I just thought it the decision and timing of those almost cost the team several times and did cost the team a couple times.

• Chris says:

One mitigating factor: there were a number of occasions (at least 4, by my count) where the puck took some awfully stupid bounces. They need to work on the ice, because it was pretty terrible tonight judging by some of the weird hops in the neutral zone.

• krob1000 says:

that is fair on those…but how many times did Emelin and Markov get caught flatfooted or stepping up. I just feel it was a good thing because the d…and Price looked shaky. Price turned it around though. I expect next game you see better performances out of PK, Markov and Emelin…and if you do and the forwards are anything at all like tonight? the Habs should control the play again and perhaps even more.

• twilighthours says:

I wrote below: D was pinching a lot tonight. It looked to me like a deliberate coaching strategy.

• Chris says:

Definitely was…when you see Gorges pinching, that was a coaching strategy. He’s usually back-pedaling near centre ice the second that the Habs look like they are going to lose the puck.

• punkster says:

Exactly…never seen the Habs D pinch so much.

Thanks heavens Murray wasn’t playing and because his pinching can have painful results.

(Hmmmm…I may have hurt myself there)

Release the Subbang!!!

• krob1000 says:

There were countless great pinches but some at odd times though…..the forecheck down low was cauing weak rim arounds that can be pinched for sure. 7 mins left though and a one goal lead? you damn well better be 100 percent sure or just back up and buy time for back pressure.
            There also appeared to be a few where the guy pinching did so with no high forward leaving odd man rushes likely. You could see they were instructed..as is often the case to pinch on any weak side rims but there has to be some situational awreness. I was more upset with the neutral zone and the stepping up or standing still when being attacked with speed.

• HardHabits says:

It wouldn’t be a krob post if not crammed with typos. It’s his literary style.

• Peter Young says:

Where does the credit go for the limited number of shots the Bolts had? Part of it must go to the forechecking, of course, but, since the CH’s backchecking was not all it could be, surely some credit must go to the defense. For that reason, I have to say the defense, despite its mistakes, was fairly decent.

• krob1000 says:

Not only was Montreal forecheck great…but Montreal demonstrated an ability to possess the puck down low that was reminiscent of the Ducks when they won their cup. I have never seen Montreal dominate down low behind the net like they did tonight…ever. It was all 4 lines and every forward had moments of domination in puck battles down low…that eats a ton of clock, keeps shots down and sucks the life out of the opposition. The D IMO were the weakness tonight ….don’t get me wrong Montreal was dominant…but they gave up 4 goals and a few other glorious chances….and I also blamed the backcheck or lack of at times too. I really only thought Gorges played above his normal level.

• Chris says:

Tampa missed 16 shots on the night, and a few of them were wide open looks. They either had terrible puck-luck tonight or a serious case of the nerves. Either way, Montreal’s defense looked better statistically, in my opinion, than it did on the ice.

Montreal’s shot totals were padded by the number of little flips from the corners and behind the net that they were trying all game long. Lindback made them look more dangerous than they were, but I wouldn’t classify too many of those as legitimate scoring chances.

40. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I remember the year we got swept by the Bruins, after game 1 Cherry said (loathe as I am to quote him) that the Habs missed their chance: meaning that Boston had given them a look by not playing great and they didn’t capitalize. It was a tight game, but the Bs won on a Chara point blast late (bloody Kostopulous!!). And the rest is history.

I feel that’s similar to what happened tonight. Not that the Habs didn’t play well, but Carey wasn’t his best in the first three periods. That was the window of opportunity that was opened that TB didn’t capitalize on. And as they found out in OT, it’s now shut.

PS – Stamkos is terrifying.

41. Adidess says:

Is it me or Prust is still hurt? I missed the energy and the warrior mentality of his first season. Prust can’t stay on his feet, he looks slow both in terms of his skating and his reaction time.

He’s coming back from injury, so I shouldn’t be too critical. But I’m just wondering how much is due to rust vs not being anywhere close to 100% injury-wise.

Go Team CHanada!

• GoldenSeal says:

Prust’s career is over. He has not been the same in a year and a half. He cannot raise his arms more than shoulder height and he has wonky ribs. One good hit will end his season unfortunately, however the team loves to have him around so I am guessing his presence is very motivational for the team.

42. Habcouver says:

On TSN, they show the MB jig, and then cut to MT who says “we have to show composure”.
    Hilarious :D

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

43. stephen says:

What’s also great about winning this first game on the road is that the team can make adjustments to tighten things up in game 2 without the pressure of having to earn the split in Tampa.

Just focus on tightening the screws, that’s all. If you win, all the better. If not, you go home with a split and hopefully a tighter all-around game.

44. Chris says:

I am probably going against the significant majority opinion here, but I felt that Francis Bouillon and Josh Gorges were Montreal’s steadiest defencemen on the night.

Markov was uncharacteristically risky tonight with pinches. Subban was a horror show. Weaver was not particularly strong, and he had that brutal pinch that cost the team an odd-man rush and a goal. Emelin was handling the puck like a hand grenade.

Gorges was generally making the safe plays, playing the kind of hockey that gets teams through the playoffs. Bouillon was probably the best Hab defenceman tonight at handling the Tampa Bay forecheck. I’m not sure that he can keep it up, as he was relying on the same moves pretty heavily, but he was getting away from his mark throughout the game.

Subban and Markov both need to significantly simplify their games if the Habs are going to tighten up defensively. Lots of high-risk plays when they weren’t required.

For the forwards, I felt like most of them had a very solid night. Prust’s skating was off, and he obviously made the big gaffe that led to a goal. His shoulders are completely done…watching him forecheck, he is a completely different player than the guy that we all loved last season.

Great night for Gionta, Plekanec and Desharnais, minus faceoffs. They were really buzzing. Vanek was outstanding, making some key plays in the neutral zone and the offensive zone. Eller and Bourque were strong on the forecheck, while the fourth line was dangerous. Briere might want to look to shoot just a little less…he wasn’t using his linemates at all in regulation time, but that was a beautiful little play on the OT winner.

On to Game 2!

• habsfan0 says:

+100.
      Gorges saved the game in OT as well.
      He is underrated most nights and is one of the premier shot blockers in the NHL.

• Adidess says:

Gorges, a game-saver tonight, no question.

Go Team CHanada!

• twilighthours says:

It’s like we watched different games. Gorges and cube were great. Subban markov emelin just fine. Only weaver stunk. Habs dominated most of the game… Hard to nitpick the overall play.

• Chris says:

I thought Subban was absolutely dreadful tonight…that was one of his worst performances in a long, long while. He got better in the third and in overtime, but he was slow and was making dreadful decisions through the first couple of periods.

Markov was out of position far more often than in any game I can remember. He was stepping up quite a bit, and it was effective in the first period. The Lightning adjusted, and they were getting by him too much.

Montreal dominated most of the game, but they gave up some pretty glorious chances that Tampa Bay completely squandered. If I’m being honest, that dominance by the Habs was as much good play by the Habs forwards as it was just a brutal performance by most of the Lightning players.

Both teams will be significantly better defensively in Game 2. I can’t see another 5-4 game. :)

• twilighthours says:

Worst performance in a long time? Not even close. Only his read on Nate Thompson in OT could be called dreadful. He did so many little things to crack the forecheck and advance the puck. Stuff I would expect a learned man such as yourself to see. I get the sense that you go out of your way to nitpick PK, Chris, if I’m being honest.

As for the pinching, every D was. Looked to me like it was a conscious coaching decision to do that. And I mostly liked it.

I still love you. It’s ok if we disagree.

• Chris says:

Guess we saw that different. I felt he was brutal tonight.

There are a lot of games where Subban makes a couple of glaring errors which get him more flak than he deserves based on the rest of his play.

Tonight, I felt like he was making bad plays all over the ice: bad defensive reads, poor positioning in front of the net, tunnel vision on rushing the puck, etc. When he started passing the puck in the third period, he instantly improved his game.

On too many occasions tonight, there was a simple play available and he didn’t take it. In the process, he got the team in trouble. Yes, he ultimately got them out of trouble on most of those plays as well. But I have always found it strange how forgiving people are for Subban getting them in trouble in the first place.

One of my favourite sayings in sports is “Without risk, there is no genius.” With players like Markov and Subban, you’ve got to live with a higher level of risk to let them demonstrate their genius on the ice. This is why they are routinely among the league leaders in giveaways (a merciless Montreal scorer is the other major contributor).

I can live with Subban’s risks most nights. I just didn’t see much positive play from him tonight. Just a difference of opinion.

• Habcouver says:

Chris, are you wearing your jersey for next game?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• habs-fan-84 says:

“I felt that Francis Bouillon and Josh Gorges were Montreal’s steadiest defencemen on the night.”

Could not agree more.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Weaver the worst by far. None of the D-men were dominant defensively. Markov-Emelin looked shaky and were targeted by the TB coaching staff who threw out Stamkos against them constantly.

Now that was excitement. I haven’t been on the edge of my seat for a hockey game in quite a while.

15 more wins to go.

46. GoldenSeal says:

Hard to know if the Bolts will have a better game on Friday. That’s the problem with a very young roster. However, the team does appear to have character so let’s not plan the parade just yet.

47. Mattyleg says:

I’m off to bed, comerades.
    See yez on the flip-side.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

48. hitgurl says:

Beaulieu should be playing….
    But WOOT!

49. mdp2011 says:

Stupid Bergevin trades away Diaz for some stiff. Fire Bergevin.

50. Ring of Fire says:

30th Good Friday anniversary for game 2…

The Thin Blue Line.

51. Say Ash says:

Weiss – shades of Tom the bomb against Philly

52. habsfan0 says:

It was nice to see Weise park himself in front of the net and waste absolutely NO time in getting the shot off. He looked like a 50 goal scorer on the play.

53. Mattyleg says:

I should be asleep by… let’s see…
    Around 2:00am.

Where did all the trolls go to?
    It would have been nice to celebrate with them.

I hope people are prepared to admit they were mistaken for criticizing the choice of Bouillon for tonight’s match. He was one of the best players out there tonight, I thought.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

54. JohnBellyful says:

Apparently you only need two-thirds of a pickup line to score.

55. Strummer says:

Dale Weise and 2 goalposts.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

56. WindsorHab-10 says:

We need to fix our PP.

57. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Thank God they won tonight with the shaky D, mistakes and poor PP. Briere, Gionta and Price were brilliant. Tampa blew a chance where the Habs were not at their best. If the Habs tighten up, they should sweep these guys. Lindback is not even close to Price.

• Adidess says:

Don’t use the s word, mon cher DDO. We dominated this game, but we only won in OT. So it could have gone either way.

I know what you mean. We can play a lot better, so it bodes well for the rest of the series.

Go Team CHanada!

• Mad Habber says:

I only saw the third period and OT from what I saw Price was rather average, but solid when needed in OT.

I thought Eller had a good game, he won several draws cleanly and Therrien seemed to be using him for key draws as well. I hope Gointa, Eller, Bourque lie sticks.

Actually the whole line-up should stay the same since it seems like every line can score. Should be interesting to see how Friday goes.

58. Peter Young says:

What a great effort by the entire team. The CH now have the home ice advantage, which is more important in the playoffs than in the regular season. And team morale will be very high now. We got contributions from every line. The defense did quite well in limiting Tampa Bay’s shots on net, although I think we would benefit from more mobility on the defense since the Bolts have such speed. Beaulieu would be very helpful.

• Mattyleg says:

I agree, but my worry would be that Beaulieu would fall victim to what happened to Paquette tonight, and abandon the front of the net.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. Willy the bum says:

Let’s not celebrate or plan the parade, there is 15 wins left for notre Habs. So focus on the negatives and turn them into positives:

– Always have someone on Tampa net.
    – Subban is a perfect counter for Stamkos, no other D will do that.
    – Always protect Price, have one player on each side of the net to cover as much space.
    – Easy on the puck, always have it with much time and patience.

• GoldenSeal says:

You’re a bum, but I agree with your points, especially about Subban. Markove does not have the wheels to cover Stamkos. Markov looked slow. It seems like MT got the message as PK was on for most of the Stamkos shifts in OT.

Also, let’s hope a great OT will give Carey his mojo back for the next game.

• B says:

You and Timo can dwell on the negatives. I’m celebrating. It was a good win and I am happy. One game at a time, but there’s nothing wrong with enjoying a win on the road in the first game of the playoffs. Woo Hoo!

–Go Habs Go!–

60. habcertain says:

MT won’t change a winning lineup but Tiny should sub for Weaver, Frankie will get the pass, but both were not that good.

61. sCOTT1243 says:

Three stars Weise, stamkos and Gionta…don’t agree but who gives a rats a$$!!!!!!! Healy could have given all 3 to Phaneuf for all I care.

Good night Hab fans, see you vendredi!

62. Danno says:

If the power play ever gets off the ground we’re going to be lethal

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

63. durocher says:

Weise had the smallest amount of shifts on the team (19)… 7 shots by Vanek, 6 by DD… 5 hits by PK… Cube and Weaver each +2… Emey with 2 assists

64. B says:

Criss Lee makes a bad penalty call. It could happen. Please retire that incompetent official.

–Go Habs Go!–

65. UKRAINIANhab says:

Cyall Later!!!! GO HABS GO. great blogging Boone! WOOOOOOOOO

66. habcertain says:

It is unlikely that MT will change a winning lineup but Tiny should sub in for Weaver, Frankie will get a pass

67. Peter Young says:

Can someone please tell me who the three stars were?

68. twilighthours says:

We feasted on the Tampa D tonight. Owned them below their goal line.

69. C-Sword says:

I said before the playoffs started that Eller and Bourque were playoff performers. They made their presence felt tonight. Good god, Weaver was awful. The Habs defense make bad decisions at crucial times, I don’t care that Lindback faced more shots, those on Price were much more threatening, a lot of odd man rushes.

70. piter says:

That Bergevin jig is pretty funny. He got pretty excited eh? Beauty.

71. Willy the bum says:

This is not a goalie’s game. It’s a team’s game, and notre Habs are the winning team tonight. But let’s not celebrate full-out or plan the parade, there is still more to come.

72. Willy the bum says:

73. Adidess says:

We’re now seeing the luxury of having Brière. Teams are focusing on our top two lines, and we have one of the best playoff performers of all time playing on our 4th line.

I would put Brière on the first wave of the Power Play to give it a different look.

Go Team CHanada!