Liveblog: Game 3: Calgary jinx continues, Flames win 3-2

DDCalgary

10 minutes doesn't cut it

If the Canadiens had played like they did for the latter half of the third period ...

But they didn't.

Lars Eller's late goal made for some excitement down the stretch, but Calgary hung on.

The Canadiens haven't won in that building since Jan. 5, 2002.

The Flames skated off to a 3-0 lead on goals by Sean Monahan, Sven Baertschi and Curtis Glencross.

P.K. Subban scoired the Canadiens first goal on a second-period power play. And Lars Eller continued his torrid start with a third-period goal that set up a wild ending.

It didn't help that the team down by one spent the final 1:49 with their best defenceman in the penalty box.

Canadiens make it exciting

Lars Eller, who has scored in all three games this season, brought the Canadiens within a goal halfway through the third period.

But despite intense pressure over the final 10 minutes, the Canadiens couldn't score the equalizer.

Teams trade goals in middle period

Curtis Glencross, a terrific 200-feet player, scored on Calgary's first power play of the game, 16:22 into the second period.

The Canadiens broke through Joey MacDonald 84 seconds later.

With the first wave of the power play gassed and looking to get off, P.K. Subban blasted one of his patented lasers past MacDonald.

Shots in the period were 12-11 for the team that's trailing.

Calgary 2 - Canadiens 0 after one

The home team scored on two of its five shots on goal.

So Carey Price must have been awful, right?

Wrong.

Price had no chance on tap-ins by young Flames Sean Monahan and Sven Baertschi.

The goals came as the result of brutal turnovers.

Travis Moen coughed up the pick n the neutral zone and Ryan White didn't get back to cover Monahan.

A new pairing of Josh Gorges and Jarred Tinordi coughed up the puck to Monahan, who found Baertschi at the side of Price's net.

The Canadiens had 12 shots on goal but few second chances. They wlso sucked on a power-play just before Calgary's second goal.

Tough road trip begins

The summer floods have subsided in Calgary and winter snow is at least a month away.

Meteorologically, then, it's a grand time to be visiting southern Alberta.

But hockey-wise ...

As Dave Stubbs points out, western Canada has been inhospitable to your Montreal Canadiens down the years.

Since the 1998-'99 season, when they swept games in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, the Canadiens have earned 18 of a possible 60 points on visits to rinks in Alberta and B.C. They have not won in Calgary since Jan. 5, 2002.

The team was spared a visit to their western wasteland because of  last season's truncated schedule.

But a new season brings new hope, right?

Hockey's Future tabs Alex Galchenyuk as the best NHL prospect in hockey – ahead of Jonathan Huberdeau, Nail Yakupov, Nathan MacKinnon and Seth Jones.

The web site's assessment:

Galchenyuk is a high-end offensive talent with excellent vision, hockey sense, and playmaking abilities. The 19-year-old is mature beyond his age, but it is his work ethic and drive to be the best that will push him to exceed expectations. In his rookie season, the big center was a Calder Trophy candidate and should improve his offensive production in 2013-14. He needs to improve his first step acceleration, physicality, and defensive zone positioning to be an absolutely dominant type of player. It will take time and experience for him to become an elite NHL center, but he projects as a franchise player and future star in the NHL.

• I know it's early, but this might be the goal of the season

1. habsfaninkw says:

Somebody want to let our team know there’s actually a game on tonight?

2. mrbell04 says:

Why can’t PK make that pinch? He had BOTH moen and white covering him. They crapped the bed and PK still had the hustle to almost stop the rookie.

3. slapshot777 says:

The Habs are asleep. It’s like they are just going through the motions.

4. Adidess says:

Sorry guys, it’s me. Just as I turned the game on…

I do predict a good game by our cohort of smurfs (Gio, Brière, Gally, even DD) and ultimately a win.

5. thehabs2002 says:

Moen+white=good times

Half breezer for one quarter of a life

6. PrimeTime says:

That is why Subban will not be at the Olympics

7. slyCH says:

Another break-down liked that and I’ll drink the whole Nyquill bottle never mind a swig.

8. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Time to go back to trashing Moen…

9. Mark C says:

P.K. bad on that one.

Moen and White both lining up the same guy for the hit was not good there, opened up the odd man scenario. White being over rambunctious looking for a hit?

11. durocher says:

PK caught, no help

How much rhythym and flow are Calgary showing Mr. Boone? You do recognize Habs haven’t played in 4 days right?

13. Habfan10912 says:

Puck support non existent thus far.

14. TheDagger says:

Diaz is a milk bag.

15. durocher says:

Rough start for Diaz — couldn’t keep the puck in on a simple dump in

16. Peter Young says:

Checking to see what’s wrong with the comments. Four minutes without a comment?

17. durocher says:

I share others’ belief that Briere and DD should not be on the same line. They are redundant — both are small playmakers. Max and DD have worked well when there is another scoring forward on the line, like Cole and Gally11.

18. doogie says:

How would you like to sit in the 1st row behind the Flames bench with the trainer guy perched agains the glass for the whole game. Nice way to spend $500, watching the jumbotron.

19. durocher says:

Nice hit by Tinordi

20. Psycho29 says:

Chantal Machabee ‏@ChantalMachabee 7m
    17 dépisteurs sont accrédités ce soir pour le match entre le CH et les Flames…je dis ça comme ça..

Translation: “17 scouts at tonight’s game…just sayin’ “

21. Stevie.Ray says:

Tinordi has the meanest eyes the Habs have had since Richard

22. HabFab says:

Boone is forgetting Diaz’s assist in game 1.

23. doogie says:

Habs win, I’m feeling it. Rested and ready to roll. Need a good start and let’s see what happens. 4-2 is my call

24. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

How about the “ID” line because they look too young to get into a bar…except in Mtl…LOL

25. PeriodPain says:

Does anybody have a link, please?

Your grasp of the obvious is inspiring

“The DaneGGer Line”

27. Castor says:

I guess he has recent history on his side but boy is Boone a downer

28. zorro says:

Our poll question of the day, Do you think DD will……. match 60 points …..he had in……2011??
    The answer is unanimous,
    NO, NON.

29. Bill says:

Reverse Jinx is in. Thank you Boone.

30. John Q Public says:

The baby faced assassins.

31. slyCH says:

Difficult decision here. Should I take care of my health and take a much needed swig of nyquill thus running the risk of missing a thriller passing out in the middle of the second period, or, should I wait to see how the game develops before taking that much needed swig. Healh. Habs. Damn.

32. ZepFan2 says:

In honour of BrBa, how about the LAB line?

They do have good chemistry.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

33. B says:

Galchenyuk currently leads all Habs with 6 hits.
    Plekanec tied for 2nd with 4.

–Go Habs Go!–

34. sailordan1964 says:

Akim Aliu was a big time prospect. Now he’s a bulldog

35. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I have a line name suggestion:

The “wouldn’t have played if Jacques Martin was the coach” line…too long?

36. Maritime Ronn says:

The DaneGGer Line will be DaneGGerous tonight!

37. sailordan1964 says:

If Parros doesn’t slip and fall. He’d be the king of Port Neuf. But he slips and Orr gets a free meal at Lundy’s …..luck!

38. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I believe in karma…DD will have a big night in front of Timo…

So these are my two suggestions which i have posted before for the Gally/Eller/Galch line.

The Kid Line – They can’t grow beards, they are kids.
    U.N. Line – United Nations, representation from Denmark, Canada, U.S., Belarus.

@Rugger, hope your wife recovers well.

@Timo, hope you throw up in your beer watching DD score tonight.

CHeers everyone!

40. Bill says:

Haha, thank YOU Twilight :)

41. twilighthours says:

Bill,

Really
    Disappoint
    So Soff

that was great. Thanks!

42. Dunboyne Mike says:

Lanny hoisting the Cup in the Forum.

RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

GO HABS!!!

43. AliHaba says:

Big game tonight between the last two Canadian teams to face each other in the Stanley Cup Finals (the last two times actually). I wonder if it will ever happen again.

The DaneGGer line. I like it.

44. Mick says:

Therrien coached a great game against the Flyers. Hope he gets the EGG line going early and does not go back to the DD as the #1.

45. Propwash says:

Rogers and Fido cell networks are down Canadawide.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

46. twilighthours says:

@Burly,

no, not every hockey fight ends with a guy laying on the ice and concussed. But isn’t that what these guys are trying to accomplish when they’re fighting – knock their opponent out?

• wjc says:

If you look at any NHL team lineup, hardly any of them fight, some have never had a fight. So they appreciate fighting because they never have to do it. They can play their game and leave the pay back to players paid to play that style.

Look at the Canadiens both in the past and now. You can only name a handful that ever fought. That goes for other teams as well. Lemaire, Beliveau, Jarvis, Smith, Lafuer Harvey, Turner, etc etc. The list goes on and on.

If you have 4 fighters that is a lot, the average is about 2 with another couple of players fighting occasionally.

So it is not an issue for most players, hitting cleanly and playing rough is part of the game and the tough guys keep the playing surfice even.

If you have a great, highly skilled team you rely on fighting even less, because the powerplay is so scarey.

wjc

My point was that you use hyperbole to make your point, and I respond in kind.

I am not a “Pro Fight” guy, but the league has chosen to enforce a set of rules where a team virtually needs to have a designated Weapon of Mass Destruction. (Yes, I know Detroit doesn’t have one……..)

Parros at least to me is a classy fighter, he isn’t out there taking cheap shots at other teams stars (yes speaking to you fellow ex – Pegger Colton Orr).

I wish him a full recovery, if he can play the game he is used to again, I hope he can do it well and for the Habs. He allows Moen and Prust to be far more effective. They can then play an agitating role and not have to fight the other teams Weapon of Mass Destruction.

• twilighthours says:

No, seriously: isn’t Parros – aren’t all fighters – trying to hurt their opponent?

And what is every player trying to do when they finish their checks? I see your point somewhat, but you can’t be hypocritical and tell me all the bodychecks are still designed to seperate the puck only and not hurt the opposition.

• twilighthours says:

Bodychecks are often thrown to hurt. But I submit that it is a less aggressive and obvious act than punching someone in the face.

And whoa whoa whoa, why am I being called a hypocrite all of a sudden?

We can continue tomorrow, can’t write this much during a game. CHeers bud!

47. cmc says:

The DaneGGer line!

48. John Q Public says:

The Thor line.
    The Danish line. – sweet in the middle
    The Red Bull line.
    The NWO line ?

49. frontenac1 says:

Timo Stylin” in the Dome,Burly eating goats.Glad I drink hard stuff. Vas-y Les Boys!

50. commandant says:

The WHL U.S. Division which features a 16 year old phenom.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

51. habs-hampton says:

I’m no Dr. Recchi, and I wouldn’t pretend to know anything like Shane would know about concussions, but I do remember a couple of years ago, some “experts” were talking about the difference in Crosby vs. MaxPac concussions. Sid got hit from the side, whereas Max went face first into the stantion. Max recovered fairly quickly whereas Sid didn’t. They were saying how side-to-side head trauma is much worse than front-to-back.

Obviously, no concussion is a good one, but where Parros got a front-to-back hit (point of the chin), I’m hoping he recovers like Max did.

• H.Upmann says:

I think Sides had something to do with centripetal forces being exerted on his brain or something like that

• Thanks for that info. I never heard that before and will look into it (side to side vs front to back).

I know that various sections of the brain control different functions, and that for me, my brain shook from front to back.

I couldn’t read or write. I couldn’t see numbers in boxes.

I couldn’t see the word in shapes.

I was doing very odd functions. Putting raw hotdogs in Tupperware then putting the dish in the cupboard. I was putting our milk in the dishwasher. I was grabbing hot oven pans out of the stove.

I was oour putting electric kettle on the stove, plugging it in and then turning the stove on. After a week of doing that every day I finally burnt the kettle and stove.

I was driving through stop signs for no reason.

After about 6 months of all the above (and more that I can’t remember) I started to become a little bit more normal. Then one day I could read and write.

OK enough of this. The story is way too long for here.

Thanks again.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks Shane, and so glad it has improved for you.

Those are the kinds of details that the NHL encourages not to share with the public. But we need to know.

• habs-hampton says:

Scary stuff, Shane. The level of denial in the NHL still shocks me. Every night you see it. Rick Nash last night. When I saw Nash leaving the game I really wondered if it could be his last game.

52. AliHaba says:

For anyone who hasn’t done it yet and you have 11 minutes to spare you should listen to the HIO show with Stu Cowan,Pat Hickey and Jack Todd. It’ll be interesting to see the comments on who the next captain of the Habs should be.

53. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Just passed Nenshi on the train platform, he gave me a “Go Flames” in response to my jersey….

Is that grounds to not vote for him on the 21st? ;)

54. jols101 says:

FYI, TSN2 is showing the English version of 24CH at 7 bells. The listing shows an hour long episode but I thought they were only a half hour long. Not sure if they are showing the first 2 episodes back to back?

Ron’s named the Kids line, “The Dane-G-Ger Line”

THAT”S IT!

56. habs1992 says:

Emilin back in 6 weeks, Early Christmas Present, Yes its coming.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

57. Rugger says:

Just got home from Boston, wife had ankle reconstruction surgury, we left at 5 am this morning, I know I am going to fall asleep during the first period – come on Habs, lots of exciting early goals to keep me awake. (Wife is feeling good, but nerve block should wear off soon unfortunately).

58. Say Ash says:

Timo, another sign idea:

Regardez
    Desharnais
    Schtroumpf

59. habs1992 says:

Got a feeling Hertel wont be doing that type of move again in a 7-2 game, once some of the players have a little word with him.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

• The Jackal says:

pls confirm

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• mr_jmac says:

Are you kidding me?…. the kid scored 4 goals in one game and the between legs goal was amazing. That deserves a celebration!

It’s a game , the fans loved it.

Showboating? Embarassing the other team? This is ridiculous… these guys are paid millions of dollars and fans are spending their hard earned dollars to watch a game. Just because a game is already doesn’t mean fans don’t deserve to be entertained.

60. Maritime Ronn says:

Hope all are having a great night

Really don’t like the E.G.G. line name.
    Let’s try and change it!

My kick at the can.

The DaneGGer Line

61. Lafleurguy says:

Habs favored -125 (range -115 to -131)

62. Lafleurguy says:

Hockey’sFuture putting Big Gal first ahead of Huberdeau, Yakupov, MacKinnon, and Jones (the top five) is encouraging. Looked up their writers to see if they’re a bunch of “homers,” and nope, Managing Ed is in Pennsylvannia, and they have a mix of Americans and Canadians writing. Ryan Murray, chosen ahead of Al Gal is 23rd. It’s early but it appears Columbus gifted Big Gal to the Habs. A word of thanks to the two Nikkies (Filatov and Zherdev) who were high-pick busts for CBJ, and scared them away from Gally.

“May you live in interesting times.”

63. mr dave says:

the habs have 24 cups I have 24 beers
    mr dave

October 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm

hello all, long time no post. but have been reading all posts and comments, good reading when I get home from work, sit down feet up beer in hand and let the comments flow like a nice cold beer.
    as for the E.G.G. line that name has to go quickly like now.
    how about calling them the money line, because there is the 2 G,s on that line so I think it makes sence, the kid line is alright but I like money so that’s my 2cents p.s my beer are getting cold so I must drink faster cheers all.

the habs have 24 cups I have 24 beers

64. Tseth says:

Just picked up my tickets for tonight! This is going to be a great game.

65. Ton says:

lots of comments on the D……….I say we rebuild it and suffer the consequences for it while it happens…….it only sense to do in sync with the forwards………next year Gionta and markov should be leaving us……..the way I look at it is evaluate everyone based on the 5 year plan………ex. will Diaz be here in 5 years> no >trade him etc etc. we got some defense that are ready to start playing> mistake prone or not play them……Tinordi and Beaulieu are examples of this.

• Lafleurguy says:

It’s crass, but those two likeable vets have even more likeability with their hefty expiring contracts. If the unthinkable happens, the contracts increase their trade value at trade deadline.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• piper says:

Markov has to go at the deadline. I remember keeping Sourey when he should have gone at the deadline. Got nothing.

• PADPZ says:

This isn’t exactly the same situation, at all.
        I say we keep Markov. We have Subban, Gorges, Tinordi, Emelin.

You figure out the rest

• Greg says:

Markov is one of the best defensement in the NHL. Has he lost a step? Sure, but he’s much better with us. He’s definitely not worth a 1st round pick at the deadline. Even if we got one, it would be a contender’s 1st rounder (25-30th pick). He’s great to mentor all the young defensemen we have coming up and he’s an absolute BEAST on the PP. He’ll come cheaper next year, and I for one will be happy to have him.

• olematelot says:

Glad you’re not the GM Piper

66. habsfan0 says:

I fully expect DD to emulate Hertl’s performance tonight.

67. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Boone should let Timo do the blog from ten rows up in the Saddledome…LOL

68. Ghosts of the Forum says:

So….if that Hertl goal was scored by a Hab in the same situation, what would the reaction in the hockey world be?

69. Lafleurguy says:

Thanks Boonie for cataloguing Pierre Gauthier’s 2nd last trade, Cammalleri, Ramo, Ryan Culkin, for Bourque, Holland, Zac Fucale.

“May you live in interesting times.”

70. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Bourque GWG!

71. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Fourth!

72. BigB says:

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don’t really care if we lose in Calgary or Vancouver or anywhere else. I don’t even care if we trade Diaz or not, or if Orr beats the living crap outta Parros (no disrespect to the big man)….
    Every year I just care about two things:
    1- My Habs winning the cup
    2- The bucking Fruins losing each game :)

Habs forever!

73. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Homecoming for Prust too! A team removed, but nonetheless…

74. Mark C says:

That’s a very incorrect and dumb thing to write.

75. Adidess says:

So predictable. I bet you were dying to say it before this happened.

76. Mark C says:

Good one, troll.

77. habsfaninkw says:

I really try to be optimistic, but this ain’t pretty. I have these visions of a very looong season coming up.

78. Adidess says:

Really? And that’s as plain as can be after 2.33 games? !

79. Adidess says:

You mean they look like they might blow it, if things keep going this way for two more periods…?

80. AH says:

Way too long, he should have been gone ages ago.

81. morivera says:

A little too early to say that. I’d wait till at least a few minutes into the 3rd period to say that, lol

82. Strummer says:

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

83. Strummer says:

LMFAO!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

84. Adidess says:

True. And from you, predictable again!

85. Adidess says:

Can you give PK a break, small town?

Two points tonight so far, when most of the team stink from head to toe. We know he’s not your favorite, but can you try to be more even-handed, like once in a while?

86. christophor says:

biggest overstatement in decades, and that’s saying a lot ’round these parts.

87. JF says:

It was nowhere near as bad as the two games they played in Calgary and Edmonton in the centennial season. In the game against Calgary, they gave up two short-handed goals on the same powerplay. Then Carbonneau took them all bowling. It didn’t help. They were even worse against Edmonton.

88. habsfan0 says:

Who would you replace Therrien with?
    Carbo Part 2?

89. JohnBellyful says:

He did qualify it with ‘perhaps’; maybe if he had gone with days, not decades…

90. savethepuck says:

True data by far. An over exaggerated statement by a fanatic instead of a fan there for sure.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price