Liveblog: Game 9 – First losing streak of the young season

PKEDM

Oilers earn 4-3 win

Both teams have injuries.

Both teams have young and/or inexperienced players in the lineup.

But Edmonton, completing a six-game road trip, wanted it more than your Montreal Canadiens, who dropped a second consecutive game for the first time in the young season.

After Tomas Plekanec and Brendan Gallagher staked the home team to a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes, the visitors scored four unanswered goals to take control.

Ales Hemsky got Edmonton on the board 13 minutes into the middle period, and Ladislav Smid made it 2-2less than three minutes later.

The visitors took control on third period goals by Jeff Petry and Ryan Jones. With Carey Price pulled for a sixth attacker, Brian Gionta tipped one past Devan Dubnyk with a second left on the clock.

Each team had 32 shots on goal.

Oilers take control

Goals by Jeff Petry and Ryan Jones completed Edmonton's comeback from a 2-0 deficit.

With Carey Price on the bench and one second left on the clock, Brian Gionta made it 4-3.

Deuces wild

Two periods, two goals for each team.

Ales Hemsky was left unattended in the slot for a rising wrister to beat Carey Price and get Edmonton on the board almost 13 minutes into the period.

Less than two minutes later, Ladislav Smid jumped on a rebound and had an open net to tie things up.

The Oilers had a 16-11 shot advantage.

The Canadiens have been outscored 9-6 in second periods this season.

Late explosion

For almost 17 minutes, it was a scoreless and evenly played first period.

Then, on the Canadiens' second power play, Tomas Plekanec one-timed an Andrei Markov pass past Edmonton goaltender Devan Dubnyk for his fourth goal of the season.

Not two minutes later, Brendan Gallagher came roaring off the Canadiens bench on a line change, stole the puck and wristed his fifth past Dubnyk.

Interesting "fight" at the end of the period: Travis Moen and hulking Luke Gadzic (who had tried to goon Gallagher) squared off and removed their helmets – at which point the linesmen skated right in to halt the proceedings.

Crowd hated it, but it's smart officiating at a time when head injuries are drawing a lot of attention.

Canadiens outshot the Oilers 14-8 and won an astonishing 15 of 18 faceoffs.

Banged-up Canadiens host Oilers

Fewer than 10 games into the 2013-'14 season, your Montreal Canadiens have been decimated by injuries.

Defencemen Alexei Emelin, Douglas Murray and David Drewiske haven't played a game this season.

Top scorer Max Pacioretty is out, as are Brandon Prust, Daniel Brière and George Parros.

The D has been limping along with ancient Francis Bouillon playing more than 16 minutes per game and rookie Jarred Tinordi trying to keep up with NHL speed and skill.

Forwards Michael Blunden and Patrick Holland have been recalled from the woeful Hamilton Bulldogs.

Tuesday's visitors will be looking to avenge a 4-1 defeat the Canadiens inflicted on them in Edmonton 12 days ago, but the Oilers have their own injury issues. Sam Gagner and Taylor Hall are out.

1. Fransaskois says:

Plekanec has not looked good so far this year. Borderline really bad.

He’s lucky he’s been consistent and healthy up until this point in his career, that’s about the only thing that he’s got going for him right now.

No, he hasn’t been good defensively.

No, he hasn’t been good on special teams.

No, he hasn’t played against team’s top lines.

No, he hasn’t been playing with horrible wingers like Moen and Darche.

He has played poorly. I’m not saying he’s a bad player or that I don’t appreciate what he CAN be or what his value is, I’m just calling him out a little bit. For a player who’s supposed to be a productive veteran leader, he’s been anything but. Invisible for the most part and a non-factor every game so far.

For me, he’s on the line just like Gionta, Desharnais, Briere, Bourque, and Bouillon are. No excuses. Hopefully he turns it up a notch.

Markov has been good though, it’ll be interesting to see if he can sustain his level of play throughout the year.

2. Jdub1985 says:

I think once Parros gets back on the ice, we’ll start winning.

3. Bim says:

Can’t believe Habs have all those injuries. Surely somebody has to be asking why. It must be the way they train or the equipment they wear because no one else repeatedly is injured like them. They looked so bad tonite I can’t see them winning another game till the injured return. The vets are coasting and seem uninterested. It’s going to be an interesting next ten games, then some trades.

4. frontenac1 says:

@shane. That is a totally acceptable excuse amigo. Perhaps a Guinness with a fine Single Malt might work also. Saludos!

5. CalgaryHab says:

Everyone have the warm fuzzies knowing we have DD locked up until 2017?
    Does every team pay their Scotiabank flag bearer 3 mil as season?
    Regardless – they sure as hell don’t put them in the line up – thanks MB

6. DS4 says:

Writing from Taranah, missed the game tonight as I went to the Leafs game. From the corner of my eye watched the scoreboard and saw Habs blow a 2 goal lead…..meanwhile Leafs come back from being down 2 to a very good Ducks team. Living in enemy territory and really really kills me to admit it, but I would take Leafs roster in a heartbeat over the Habs. Outside EGG line, PK and Price, rest of the team can be dealt (love Prusts heart, but too injury prone). Max is a 2nd line winger on a good team. DD signing…..brutal, Brier signing…brutal x 2, (still can’t believe MB made that move-don’t tell me your roster needs to get bigger and than go sign a 5″8 guy in the twilight of his career-not to mention, this is the same guy who stiffed you when he was in his prime) Simply calling it like I see it. Last year, they won the division but only reason was b/c they ran off 12 in a row or something crazy-plus 48 gm schedule, the way they finished, they wouldn’t have made the playoffs in an 82 game season. Sad to say going to be a couple of tough yrs ahead.

• oldtimerguy says:

very well said. best on here…

tank this bitch! keep our young core…

• The Jackal says:

Oh god, you’re just traumatized. No way I take the laffs roster over the Habs.

The laffs – what you see is what you get, that is it – that roster is not going to be better, it is at it’s best and it already has trouble getting shots despite having so many “offensive stars.”

The Habs? They are full of young players who are not even in their primes and who keep getting better. Sure, we have some bad holes, but none of which we have salary or other commitments to – things are looking up and we are a solid team.

The laffs are decent but they have committed to trying to improve via acquisitions. They have a lot of salary tied up to players who will not get better, and they will have problems signing Kadri and Gardiner. And despite their wedding to their “top offensive players,” they are still suspect on D and unproven in net. They have no room to make adjustments or to address their shortcomings.

The Habs, on the other hand, are in the process of addressing their gaps and they are an improving team.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Timo says:

Can we swap line 2-4 with the laffs leaving the first lines with their respective teams?

• DS4 says:

We agree to disagree. Like I said, EGG line, PK and Price, that is it. Look at the Leafs, Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Clarkson, I would take all these guys over Plek, Gionta, Bourque, Max (close with Max but injuries continue to mount ). Throw in a guys like Bolland, McLement and Raymond -it’s really not even close (who do we have, Moen, DD, Bournival, White). Maybe I am traumatized and need an old fasion at Schwartzs or maybe Im calling it like it is. Tell me this….Gardiner/Riley or Tinordi/Bealieu (probably way to early to make that call, but if I had, it’s an easy choice)

7. RAM_TOUGH says:

Hello everyone

There was a reason Michael Therrien was fired the first time in Montreal.

A blown 3-0 lead and a blown 2-0 lead in back to back games.

Mark B needs to address the defense, DD, Gio. He has dropped the ball so many times so far.

Carey Price needs to take a one way flight out of Montreal. The best Goalie in the world could not survive on this team or Habs teams past.

Guts-Glory-Ram

Btw, what does everybody think about JJ Daignault? Because all I see from Habs defense is backing down, backing down, backing down until they almost hit price. Opposition has too easy time getting and positioning themselves in the Habs zones.

• third generation haber says:

I think it has to do with the players themselves; Murray and Emellin are out of the line-up.

More importantly, if you’re MT, and u have Murray, Emellin, Parros, and Prust out of the lineup, how do you not dress Tinordi???

j.p. murray

• Timo says:

It’s not this. It’s that the 9 out of 12 forwards do NOTHING!!! This is literally a ONE line team. Nobody of the 9 goes to the net, they barely move their feet, can’t pass, don’t position themselves, there is simply no jump or desire to pay the price to win.

There is no leadership on this team. People love Gionta and Plekanec but honestly, are they playing THAT much better than Desharnais?

• third generation haber says:

Your’e preaching to the choir! If I had my way I’d purge this entire organization of its smurfs.

Gionta, DD, Briere, Bouillion, Diaz (plays like a smurf), St. Pierre, Duffy, Thomas, and Reway. I don’t care if they have “character”, this isn’t the boy scouts. (I’d give Andrighetto a try).

When u have team toughness, not just a couple of tough guys, the whole team feels confident going to the net and playing hard. Look at Detroit! Smurfs need to be babysat and play the entire game on the perimeter.

No organization in hockey has this many smurfs in their NHL or AHL teams.

j.p. murray

• oldtimerguy says:

I never understood why jj became some kind of defensive guru…I mean, really, its not like he was denis potvin or something….

Did Michael Therrien have anything constructive to say or was it all Subban’s fault?

Effing veterans on this team are useless cream puffs. Plekanec, Gionta, Moen, Desharnais, Bourque… they did f%^* all game long. No net presence, no passing, not generating any chances.

And you can’t even really blame Therrien… Bergevin gave him this crap of a team this year. He’s been there for year and a half… plenty of time to get rid of dead wood instead of inquiring more dead wood.

• oldtimerguy says:

omit, you mean acquiring…

and yes, all those you mentioned can go…trade em off…call it what you want, tank, retool ,rebuild, move forward, just get it done already…its time to face reality here man!

• The Jackal says:

Lol, why do you keep calling him “omit?”

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• third generation haber says:

“trade em” is a common cry throughout the league, but how can u trade your problems away when they have money and term left on their contracts??? U would have to accept another team’s problems in exchange.

Or do what Burke did in Toronto; he took on Lombardi, Giguerre, and Lupul (had serious injuries at the time), so that he could get some assets in the deals.

j.p. murray

• Timo says:

How about don’t sign them in the first place? You tell me there is no team that would trade for Plekanec or Gionta? I am pretty sure there is. Probably no one would take Desharnais, but he falls into the category of “nobody force Bergevin to sign this player”.

Bergevin in his year and a half did not make this team better.

• third generation haber says:

I wanted to rip my hair out when I saw DD and Briere were signed; immediately, I, nothing but a fan, knew it was utter stupidity. It indicates that Bergevin isn’t very sharp.

Gionta is highly over-paid and is a rental because his contract is up. How much do u expect to get for him???

Pleks is marketable, but teams expect 30 goals from a 5mil. dollar softy. His real value is his 2 way play, but teams are paying 1.5 mil. for those types of players. Trading Pleks would certainly weaken our team in the short run.

j.p. murray

• oldtimerguy says:

Edmonton would take pleks and gorges…so too would many others…moen, markov, gio, bourque and yes, even dd, would all be taken… briere bouillon? eh not so much…bouillon only because hes 37.

• oldtimerguy says:

precisely 3rd gen haber…moving pleks will make us worse, temporarily…

• third generation haber says:

I don’t blame Therrien, but seriuosly he should drop the hammer equally when it comes to holding players accountable. The cream puffs always get away with spectating (includes Markov), while Subban or White get benched for bringing it.

j.p. murray

10. Thomas Le Fan says:

I have this thing about language. Decimation was a Roman means of punishment in which they killed one in ten. I know that through misuse it’s come to mean something else but it’s still wrong. You’d think a professional journalist would own a Thesaurus. Anyway, I wish we were merely decimated. What we have been is devastated.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

11. JUST ME says:

Wow ! A pack of hungry wolves here tonight fueled by HIO who is talking about a losing streak ! Come on ! It`s two in a row ! Way to be non positive !
    I grant you though that it was not pretty and i kind of predicted here that it was a trapped game and that we tend to fall victim to those apparently easy ones. Why did we only deliver 20 solid minutes of play is beyond . Can`t even try to deliver part of an explanation so i`ll sleep on it…

12. JohnBellyful says:

It might help our collective sanity if each of us periodically were to go on HIOtus and not post anything, especially after a loss. Oh, you’ll still want to drop in on the site to see what the commentariat is saying, just don’t get caught up in the thrashing.

[Instrumental]

Every post you make
    Every guy you rake
    Every scheme you bake
    Every trade you make
    I’ll be watching you

Every day and night
    Every word you write
    Every game, every fight
    Whether wrong, whether right
    I’ll be watching you

O can’t you see
    What you’ve done to me
    How my poor head aches
    With every post you make

Every stance you stake
    Every silence you break
    Every smile that’s fake
    (The emoticon, pete’s sake!)
    I’ll be watching you

Since I’ve joined, this site I have embraced
    Any time I have spare I spend at this place
    I look around but it’s you I can’t replace
    I feel so bad, it’s such a damn disgrace
    I keep crying, baby, baby, more!

[Instrumental]

Why can’t I can’t see
    This is lunacy
    I need to get a life
    Before I lose my wife

Every game that’s played
    A thousand pleas are made
    “Dump DD in a trade”
    All you experts who aren’t paid
    I’ll be watching you

Every line you make
    Every cage you shake
    I’ll be watching you

I’ll be watching you

I’ll be watching you

I’ll be watching you

I’ll be watching you

I’ll be watching you

I’ll be watching you

13. NCRhabsfan says:

Well thank goodness Gionta scored. I was worried he would have no value at the trade deadline if he had only scored 1 goal all year. It’s good to see him pad his stats with a completely meaningless goal after taking the rest of the night off. I liked his coast by on the third Oilers goal. Nice of him to visit his own end even if it was just as a sightseer. Anyhow, I’m loving those meaningless goals because there is a slim chance a GM somewhere won’t do his due diligence and think they were actually meaningful goals and give us a 12th round draft pick or something for him at the deadline.

14. JM says:

Lots of Excuses except when the Habs Win!!

• oldtimerguy says:

every loss gets us a better pick!

I want another galchenyuk…

• jols101 says:

Now I get The DD love, you are in tank mode. No better way to ensure a solid tank than having DD in our top 9.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Give him 22 minutes of TOI every night and all the PP time. That’s a sure fire formula for a top three pick.

• oldtimerguy says:

if it makes you happier then dump him too, but he’s got to go along with pleks, gio, moen, bourque, briere, bouillon, murray and markov.

you ok with that?

• NCRhabsfan says:

In a nutshell, yes to Gio, Moen, Bourque, Boullion and Briere. Maybe to Pleks, but only for a good return. He wasn’t good tonight but he is still way, way more effective on a bad night than DD is on a good one. Isn’t picking on Murray a bit tough; he hasn’t even played a game yet. I’m prepared to give him at least one game before calling for them to dump him. So I’m mostly okay with it. DD should go first. Even Boullion is outscoring him.

• oldtimerguy says:

whatsa matter jols, don’t you like galchenyuk?

• jols101 says:

Oh I love Galchenyuk, I just like some of our veterans like Pleks and Markov. I also like Bourque and call me crazy but Moen too. The rest could go. I think having 4 small forwards is 2 too many. Gallagher obviously goes nowhere but I wouldn’t shed a tear if Briere,DD or Gionta were traded. Gionta would be the hardest for me to see go.

• oldtimerguy says:

and how did we get galchgenyuk? fair to say he has the most upside on the team? subbans already proven, so he doesn’t count. wouldn’t you want another galchenyuk? and btw, I too like pleks and markov…really, solid guys, good players…just a little too old and too xpensive given where we are at and what we need for the future…but yeah, I like them.

• jols101 says:

I know the benefits of finishing near the bottom, trust me. I just get this gut wrenching sick feeling everytime my team loses. I don’t like it.

However, last year was a very short season. Only 3 months. I could have endured the pain for a Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin or even Monahan.

While I realize the benefits of a good tank, the feeling of watching my team lose is hard to swallow.

• oldtimerguy says:

I don’t like it either, but I sure as hell don’t want to be mediocre in another 3 yrs and more…the time has come to accept the fact that we will not win with these vets and they will be worth NOTHING in a few years…..

15. Just A Guy says:

1st goal: Moen watches the play and forgets he’s actually playing a hockey game, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player so wide open to gobble up a rebound like that.
    2nd goal: Galchenyuk “look at me I can play center! oh no wait…” Price also gets screened by his own players I think?
    3rd goal: Diaz: “play the pass, play the pass play the.. ooh look a puck”
    4th goal 50/50 Price should have had that. with all the puck watching the habs were doing it was surprising to see Pleks try to move someone out of the crease, sadly this goal wasn’t a game changer.

16. JM says:

Here’s our Team!!

Up Front:
    Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher Bournival, Plekanec, Pacioretty

Defence:
    Subban, Markov, Price

Once you get pass these Guy’s The Habs are Easy to beat. By the middle of November we should be close to 10th position in the Eastern Standings!!

17. frontenac1 says:

Coors? Lite??!!! Really? In the name God,Why?

18. JF says:

I can hardly bear to watch the Habs this season. No lead is safe. Up 2-0 going into the second period, we should have been able to put the Oilers away.

After the Calgary game, I said I thought we likely wouldn’t make the playoffs. Despite our nice little winning streak, I still think that. The defence is soft and error-prone, two lines are doing all the scoring, and we barely have a chance unless our goaltender stands on his head, as Price has done in just about every game. We’ll almost certainly be looking at a four-game losing streak and tenth place or so by the end of the week.

19. jols101 says:

So now DD has become a defensive specialist. Before it was – “he got 60 points two years ago.” Now that he can’t put up any points we should be grateful for his defensive awareness and his prowess in his own end. LMAO. This is a joke right? Maybe he will get nominated for a Selke this year. I think he is in the running. lol.

20. nova scotia vees says:

Just a few thoughts from a frustrated fan..
    Play the young guys…even the call-ups. They will go all out as they are trying to win a spot.
    Stop playing DD. He is a 4th line centre and should get 4th line minutes..
    Someone has to go after players who run Gallagher. He is our best forward and his career is in jeopardy. M.T…it is time for the tantrum.
    Diaz…forget about it…And finally….
    Just when I was getting excited about Price…big rebounds and then drops the puck?? Still a work in progress and not an Olympian yet.

21. jamman says:

Therrien’s system sucks. It will be nice once we are healthy but it wont change the fact that the system we play sucks. With future pieces intact it will be time for a different approach.

22. Pattyice says:

The numbers ?? Do you not watch the games ??

23. CHicoHab says:

If it makes anyone feel better. Pittsburgh and Detroit didn’t score a goal last nite

24. L Elle says:

Price had a good game, not great, not stellar, just good, and they lost. That’s the story so far. Stellar goaltending has been masking the shortcomings. Made worse with all the injuries.

Coaches have a lot of work to do. There’s still hope, the season is still very young. Vets looking disinterested. Maybe MT needs to chew them out too.

• habsfan0 says:

I’m sure the F-bombs were flying tonight in the Habs’ dressing room after the game.

24CH will have some serious bleeping to do to maintain their “G” rating.

25. habstrinifan says:

Man oh Man…..

26. oldtimerguy says:

I love it…every loss gets us a better pick…

27. Pattyice says:

Until our defence is back to 100% this is what the games are going to be like. By far our weakness right now. It is really hard to expect more out this team without the defence in tact. Emelin showed last year how much we need him. Subban and Markov can only do so much

28. CHicoHab says:

Sorry guys. Therrien is a bust. Watching him now and he sounds so hopeless.

29. Jdub1985 says:

I see a lot of excuses Boone. I guess the only facts that matter to me is in a game that the Habs were up 2 – 0, they lose. Man does that remind me of the Martin days. I miss Parros.

30. ooder says:

subban and markov bring so much more offensively than everyone outside the kid line.
    it’s pathetic really… also they are the only 2 dmen who actually play defense.
    can’t fault price in this game.. maybe the 4th goal he should have smothered, then again an NHL goalie assumes his dmen can move a rebound and not let a 4th line plug just slide in.
    oh right it was pleks back there because boullion took a leasurely skate

I thought I’d stop by to say “hello” but instead will say “sayonara” and see y’all in 2015. Which is about when the Habs might be worth watching.

Sucks to say but Toronto is the Canadian team to watch this season. Calgary is surprisingly good too early on. Colorado. Damn you Patty Roy.

Woe is to be a Habs fan. Thank god for Montreal women.

32. Quote of the night

The Dude
    October 22, 2013 at 10:29 pm

The game was Priceless…..real clutch!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

33. chanchilla says:

Desharnais, on the ice for 0 goals against, somehow it’s entirely his fault, explain this to me.

• habsfan0 says:

Life isn’t always fair.

• Mattyleg says:

He sucks!!!!!!!!!!
      If he didn’t have a contract, we would have been able to sign any player in the league that we wanted!!
      Even players who already have contracts with other teams!!
      Because Desharnais is from France!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ozmodiar says:

It wasn’t DD’s fault.

Youppi was on the ice for 0 goals as well, but he’s still blamed for the loss around here too!

While Youppi and DD aren’t to blame, they’re not contributing either. Time for DD to grab an oar and start rowing with the rest of the team.

• ooder says:

well he was out to lunch when Smid scored and ended the night at -1.
      also the fact that since he signed his contract extension his production dropped like crazy, ya i could kind of see why fans are growing tired of him.

34. CHicoHab says:

Price is one of the few bright spots this year. I’d like to see him more animated after a goal when his team hangs him out to dry.

35. Chuck says:

One thing that really concerns me is that players are still getting hit from behind and penalties aren’t getting called. For instance, Gionta being boarded and Gallagher being hit from behind after a whistle.

It’s bad enough that we’ve got big bodies down with injuries, but if this kind of thing is allowed to continue we’ll end up with more guys on the disabled list.

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

• Mondou6 says:

How about Price getting upended, no call. In the Columbus game, they crashed Price all night, not one call.

I’m more concerned with him getting injured this season.

Our team has to have size to protect itself, because the refs aren’t going to do it.

• SmartDog says:

Hate to say it again but the reffing was horrible. Terrible. And again it costs the Habs the game. Stick in the face to Gallagher, Eller clearly obstructed in front of the opposing net taking away a great chance, Price interfered with seconds before a goal, Gionta boarded. Wow. It’s really amazing… it seems like almost every game is like this.

————————————-
      Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, pretty cheap.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• rljmartin says:

Forget from behind. Bournival got decked head on behind the net 30 feet from the puck…. No callllllll

36. Propwash says:

↓↓↓

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

37. rljmartin says:

A lot of no-calls by the men in stripes…. Almost seems normal now… Even Edmonton commentator suggests hit on Gionta was a penalty. Reaction from MT? The man is a mute to refs…. Poor coaching.

Yes, this is a poorly coached team. Injuries or not, Habs “win” 39 faceoffs to 20 but how many of those wins ended up on Edm. sticks? Why? Missed assignments… That is poor coaching if you can’t keep the puck after a faceoff win.

Won’t even mention how you play with a 2-0 lead knowing the lineup is rifled with rookies and you are low on depth…. Poor coaching.

• Mondou6 says:

NHL refs are just never going to give weak small teams the benefit of calls when they get bullied.

You saw it tonight. Oilers ramped up the hits, knocked Price over, boarded Gionta, etc etc. The refs are never going to call all that, they let it go. Best case, White retaliates and we get matching calls.

We need muscle, the NHL refs will always allow a big team to bully a small team.

• billylove says:

There’s a reason why they used to call guys “policemen.” Can’t rely on the NHL to help if you’re the small guys.

• NightRyder says:

Interesting points. Look at the NFL game Monday night, Indy mugged Denver’s receivers all night. Can’t call everything.

Legitimate question: How much more pushback would this team have if Patrick Roy was coaching?

38. RiverviewCanadien says:

Man oh man. All I’m envisioning is a multi game losing steak coming out of this. Horrible hockey, Gionta, Gorges, Markov at times, and Price’s rebound control was off.

What I find so strange about this team is when they start playing loose. No sense of urgency from all zones.

We need the new l’Artiste to amp up his game.

Boy do I miss Emelin.

39. duffy says:

If they had all those high scoring Leaf Forwards and six SUBBANS they would have one helluva team.

40. oldtimerguy says:

tank it baby!

oh right, look at how bad those oilers are ….even without hall…

41. 416erHabsFan says:

Why the heck did it take Bourqe and Gionta 59 min. and 58 seconds to actually go to the front of the opposing teams net?

• SmartDog says:

That is the best post of the night. So many guys on this team playing with no urgency. Our Captain is one of them. (And WTF does that say.) He keeps looking for the opportunity to streak across the blue line and let go a slapper. But that’s all he seems to try to do. No guts, no goals.

————————————-
      Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

So what everyone is telling me is that I did a good thing by taking a nap after dinner and then heading to the gym and missing the game?

43. Pattyice says:

This site is effing pathetic all you losers who constantly blame price when we lose . You idiots know NOTHING of the game of hockey. Find another sport because your constant bitching of something you know nothing about is getting very tiresome ! Let the people who know something about the game comment because you guys are idiots!

• HardHabits says:

Tell us how you really feel.

• Mattyleg says:

I get pretty annoyed too sometimes, but I honestly didn’t see anyone blaming Price.

Maybe I missed it…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• 123456 says:

I agree – I’ve tried to reason with some. Even the 4th goal – which could have been stopped by price….but IF the defense correctly ties up he guys in front they can not put the puck in the net – CUBE needs to be stronger. Pleks on that play as well. Price has been great this season.

• Mondou6 says:

Who’s blaming Price? I think I saw one post out of 700+.

Easy there.

• NightRyder says:

Is wanting more consistency out of Price blaming him for a loss? I’d like to see the stats, not just for the team, but Price as well, on the number of leads lost during a season – and compare it to all other teams.
      Numbers nerds, you have a challenge. We have given up four leads this year already.

44. durocher says:

One of these should be traded, and soon: DD, Bourque, Gio.

45. CHicoHab says:

Dd has retired. He just is getting a pension

If I could only get my hands on this T-shirt for the summit…

47. Mattyleg says:

Jeez, someone tell DD to retire so that we can win all the remaining games of the season!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

48. Man oh Man this is funny stuff right there, I hope Therrien sits them down and makes them watch what we just did all over again, and then makes every one of them come to HIO.

What sucks the most is that to shut this team down all you have to do is show up and play :lol:

What sucks even more than that, is that the Habs haven’t even played anyone good! Now that’s scary :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

49. duffy says:

I feel very sorry for this team come Thursday night.!!!!

50. CHicoHab says:

I’ll make it easy for you Bill. Only Gallagher didn’t suck

51. hamiltonbulldogs says:

Kalevine … AMEN !!! Smurfs all around please and than you !!!

52. Bill says:

Missed the last two losses. Guess I should start watching again.

Who sucked? Tell me who sucked.

53. Habbu says:

Don’t see what management coaches see in DD. What am I missing? How many chances does this guy get?

54. billylove says:

Just one mediocre/average at best team beating another mediocre/average at best team.

55. CHicoHab says:

Getting Briere, Parros, Murray I guess was not enough to change our play or look. Same old little team. Mostly knocked to the ground all night long. After the Gallagher goal and yapping at the next face off it went down hill. Teams becoming a joke I’m sorry to say. We have no Lucics, Neils, etc.

56. Mattyleg says:

Man, if we didn’t have DD, we would have won that game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

57. hamiltonbulldogs says:

Mondou6 … AMEN brother !!!

58. turneria says:

Correct that Oilers took liberties with D zone coverage. I thought 2 handers over top of puck carriers stick has been called slashing for last 3 seasons. Oilers did this half frozen times tonight.

59. AH says:

#@#$!!!!!#$%^^&%%%!!!!!! I hate losing to the Oilers!!

60. Mondou6 says:

I still can’t believe what the F&#$^ing rush was to hand DD that giant contract. MB is going to have a hard time living that one down. What an albatross.

And it’s the last thing we needed, yet another smurf plus a ridiculous cap hit. On top of all our other smurfs and ridiculous cap hits.

DD is Gomez Part Deux.

61. topher5468 says:

With this current line up, I expect to see a lot more games like this. No consistency, defensive breakdowns and one solid offensive line. Oh well. Lets hope they don’t fall to far behind.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

62. Habbu says:

They should be ashamed of themselves…..brutal collapse

63. CHicoHab says:

Aye. Now we are knit picking. He raised his hands. So what

64. habsfan0 says:

I have a hunch Timo won’t be too pleased with tonight’s effort by the Habs.
    He might even have a poor word or two about DD’s play.

65. Michael says:

It really looked to me like Jones inadvertently kicked Carey’s pad out from under him on the winning goal. Not a penalty by any means, but also by no means a legal goal according to the rule which is rarely enforced anyway.

• icemachine says:

That’s what I thought too, Sure looked like Price was upended before the puck crossed the line. Of course when Edmonton saw there was no push back after they clipped Price earlier, no surprise they’ll push our goalie again and again.

Its time to switch to whiskey, we’ve been drinkin’ beer all night

66. Chuck says:

Well, that (mostly) sucked.

67. durocher says:

Heroes: Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bournival, Subban, Moen, White

Zeroes: Gio, DD, Bourque

- EDM look liberties and we had no way to really respond
    - Beaulieu isn’t ready, his positioning is way off
    - Pleks plays important offensive/defensive minutes, but seems to lack hunger (the kids, by contrast, seem hungry)

Time for MB to cut the fat, even if they are veterans

• Harditya says:

I thought Bourque had intensity in his game. Galchenyuk has played better, and he will play better no doubt. DD and Gionta (though he scored with a second left) looked uninspired.

• oldtimerguy says:

agreed. lose pleks, gio, moen, bourque, markov, bouillon briere and save 25 million …time to bottom out this team and build round the young core.

68. Storman says:

Not too sure about Gionta’s celebration there,

69. PrimeTime says:

Not a good idea for the captain to raise his hands scoring a meaningless goal

70. Cdnman1 says:

That lousy goal is big now.

71. John Q Public says:

Wa wa wa Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh………………………………..

72. Et le but says:

Too little, too late…ugly loss after leading 2-0.Lots to learn from this game moving forward

73. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

On the bright side, no injuries! Unless you count wounded egos.

74. slapshot777 says:

I know I am harping on the refereeing, but they have been giving it to the Habs all season and tonight they stuck it to the Habs again