Liveblog: Game 81 – Lowly Islanders hang goose egg on playoff-bound Habs

Nabokov

Overconfident?

Or just lousy?

Facing an Islanders team missing seven regulars and dressing 11 rookies, the Canadiens were outhustled, outscored and humiliated in their own building.

The Islanders outshot the home team 30-19 and got second-period power-play goals from Ryan Strome and Brock Nelson.

The Canadiens were sluggish from beginning to end, and the crowd went home thoroughly POed.

Not even close to a comeback

Trailing 2-0, the Canadiens managed five shots on goal in the third period.

Evgeni Nabokov unsurprisingly stopped them all.

Which of these teams is going to the playoffs?

Douglas Murray took another match penalty and Ryan Strome opened ther scoring for the Islanders.

With the period winding down and Thomas Vanek in the penalty box, Brock Nelson beat Carey Price short-side to make it 2-0.

The visitors had a 14-6 shot advantage.

The home team is in disarray.

Oh, and George Parros lost another fight. To a smaller guy.

Lucky to be scoreless

The no-name Islanders started fast against the no-game Canadiens.

Shots were 9-2 for the visitors, who had the best of the early going.

Final tally was 10-8, but the Islanders had the better looks and chances.

Anticlimactic?

Will Canadiens-Islanders at the Bell Centre match Wednesday night's classic at the United Centre?

Doubtful.

But it's an important game for the Canadiens, who are edging closer to home-ice advantage against Tampa Bay in the first-round of the playoffs.

"Fat load of good it did them last spring!" the skeptics will  say.

To which I reply: New season, better team ... and a first-round opponent that won't goon the Canadiens like Ottawa did a year ago.

But first, the mighty Islanders, who will have 11 rookies in their lineup.

The Canadiens will be going for a three-game sweep of their season series against the Tavaresless visitors.

Puck drops 7:40ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

• Pre-game reading: Sean McIndoe's NHL Awards

• How funny is this?

BkUxlSRCQAA8Xpr3-420x251

1. Captain aHab says:

Guessing they underestimated the amount of effort needed.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

2. boing007 says:

Look at all those Claude Juliens. That’s a lot of doughnuts.

Richard R

3. habsfan0 says:

It looks like the Habs are “playing down” to their opposition tonight just as they “played up” to it last night.

4. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Stinker of a 1st period — among the stinkiest of the year.

~~ You’ve been spun ~~

5. Danno says:

I like how Price is smiling and laughing with the guys. Keeping it light.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

6. twilighthours says:

Last night we watched beaulieu’s skating. Tonight? Murray’s

7. turneria says:

I think the Habs thought the game started at 7:30 Chicago time!

8. Habcouver says:

Is Vanek trying to get Patches #40?

9. habbernack says:

I thought Beaulieu played well last night. Great skater and he knew when to jump into the play.

• Butterface says:

Yeah but they want to see how many mistakes Tinordi can make. I think he is going for a record.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

10. hockeydoc says:

Not looking like a playoff team so far

11. Strummer says:

Time for the ‘stache to ride off into the sunset.
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

12. topher5468 says:

Habs playing true to form by playing down to their opponent. I do think they will get it together tonight though.

I wonder why I have been having trouble logging on, some enable cookies crap, My settings haven’t changed, did the website make any changes?

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Topher. I’ve been getting that message as well. Usually I just try a second time and the logon goes through.

• Strummer says:

Works for me too.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• topher5468 says:

Thanks Mike, I had to change my setting to log on, then changed them back, I’ll try your way next time, By the way, you can call me Chris, Cheers

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha! Will try to remember, Chris. I was reading it as rhyming with gopher!

• topher5468 says:

It does, years ago when I first joined, I didn’t know I would stay so committed to the site, other wise I would have used a different name . I wanted to change my name since but Then people wouldn’t know its me, Haha, that was a joke,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

13. piter says:

That was a quick whistle>

14. Butterface says:

Galchenyuk . Expect update after the game tonight.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

15. jamman says:

Damn the blues got us pinned in our own zone. Oh wait, its the Islanders

16. piter says:

Theres a lot of young players trying to prove something to the Islander brass tonight. I’m sure we’ll see a lot of speed from them tonight, giving our D fits. Their weakness will be their defence.

17. Maritime Ronn says:

Pretty funny
    Parros just finished a shift of 2:05.
    He rarely plays over 5 minutes a game…when he plays

18. Texus says:

Looks like slow motion compared to last night lol

19. Habcouver says:

Tampa up 1-0

20. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Wow, epic domination by nyi. Kinda predictable.
    ~~ You’ve been spun ~~

21. CJ says:

Yikes! Second time Parros has extended his shift beyond two minutes this season.

22. Prop says:

Rope a dope style.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

23. piter says:

They better wake up.

24. Butterface says:

As much as I am enjoying things now, before patting MB on the back, let’s see what he does between now and October 1st.

Subban, Markov, Gionta, White, Weise, Eller, Tokarski, Leblanc, Murray, Weaver and…..wait for it…… Vanek.

If he doesn’t get Vanek, who will fill the obvious void we didn’t realize we had until March 5th.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

25. Habcouver says:

A 1-2 minute time delay listening to TSN690 from this blog?

26. smiler2729 says:

So now the Department of Player Safety is left to Mike Murphy (ex-Leafs coach) and Kris King (ex-Leafs player)…

I’ve always smelled a rat when it came to discipline and the “war room in Toronto”.

Bettman just sucks…

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

27. smiler2729 says:

The Leafs are so stupid, they hire anybody with a “name”.
    Just pathetic and desperate, anything to keep the coffers full at the ACC.
    Those dumb fans… lol

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

28. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Vanek playing against his old team. He knows the names of around half of them.

29. icemachine says:

Have a feeling this might turn into a fun fast floing game, possibly with a few scores early

30. Habcouver says:

Never thought I’d be cheering on Emery to have a great game.

31. gumper says:

Just realized that Mike Halmo is a kid I taught back around 2003. That brings my total of NHLers to 2, including Dale Wideman. Taught ‘em everything I know. May explain something about their careers.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

32. Maritime Ronn says:

A question for the learned HIO posters

When 51 and Max were a 2-some before Vanek arrived, it was always about 51 looking for Max and no one else

Recently, it looks like Max is looking for Vanek, and Vanek is looking for Max…almost to a fault.
    They are snipers and are trying to be passers and show themselves as not selfish.
    The Habs need goals.

Should they be shooting more with the playoffs approaching where goals and not pretty plays count?

33. ABHabsfan says:

Shanny’s agent has not been landing his man very good jobs. Sheeshh!

34. ABHabsfan says:

I like to think I know a little about hockey, I mean I watch enough of it plus my addiction to this site, but there are 5 guys in that Isles line-up that I have ever even heard of. I who the heck is Czuczman? Lee? Persson? Halmo?We had better freaking win this one

35. JohnBellyful says:

I’m liking where the Canadiens are at with their roster. Vanek and Weaver have proved invaluable and now a key D-man is back playing. The Habs: Revamped, Revived, Regorgitated.

It’s official – Shanahan to become president of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

37. CJ says:

Good evening friends.

Very busy day, well actually week, at the office. Haven’t been able to catch up today. I see Murray is back on the third pairing with Weaver. I would have liked to have seen Beaulieu for one game on his natural side, but we will have to wait for next season.

Amazing how different our lineup looks following a couple of injuries. Gionta on the first line is well below average. On the second line he is average to below average. On the third line he’s above average. That’s a huge difference. Hopefully the boys can get heathy and avoid any further accidents heading into the playoffs. Speaking of which, Parros needs to steer clear of Gallant. I mean do not give this guy a reason to throw down.

Got the Masters on the PVR. Got a bucket of beers on ice. The boys are in bed and mum is off to the hospital for her rounds. Let’s hope the boys can put 60 minutes together and lock down home ice.

Go Habs! Cheers, CJ

• HabsPooch says:

It’s too bad about Beaulieu. Even on his wrong side I would have wanted to see him play. He was very good last night and seemed very poised. We know he’ll be up next year full time but I still think he can take one of the spots on defense now…

• CJ says:

Like you said, next year. The Canadiens will live and die with Frankie and Murray this year as the 6/7. So long as the team wins I can’t complain. Funny though, if you trust him against the speed and skill of the Blackhawks, surely he would be even better against the Isles. In any event, Go Habs!

38. punkster says:

Wow…this Union/BC game is just fine hockey.

Release the Subbang!!!

My man Phil is not doing well. He needs Michael Therrien Personal Development Program.

Before the game I just had to share this with all of you!!
    Talk about a tear jerk-er!
    Wrong link, I will try again!

41. ABHabsfan says:

Any word on line up tonight? Who is playing D? Eller back in or is he still sick? Whitey?

42. ABHabsfan says:

Do you think Vanek put some $ on the board tonight or does he figure it’s not even worth it?

43. DipsyDoodler says:

Just came across this funny tweet:

‏@markhmasters
    Asst coach Cronin told players that although Blues outshot Leafs 21-5 in 1st 18 mins, the scoring chances were only 5-3 STL.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

44. monmick says:

Mike Kostka playing tonight, just as Murray’s suspension ends…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

45. The Teacher says:

Timo. If Habs win and Tampa loses or gets one point then we clinch n

46. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Max gets his 40th tonight…put $$$ on it.

47. Cal says:

Book of Hab
    Chapter 14
    v. 81

And it came to pass that the multitude
    ‘Neath the shadow of Royal Mount
    did have great hopes of Spring.
    Preparations for the Festival of Stanley had begun,
    Yet two foes lay before the path of the Ste-Flanelle.
    And so they would be ground unto dust ere the Festival.
    So sayeth the Book of Hab.

48. smiler2729 says:

Groan…
    The wife and daughter watching stupid American Idol PVRed from last night and FFing through it so I can watch the Habs.

Glorified karaoke.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• Habitoba says:

All the lame parts of kareoke without the fun times of going up there yourself to sing. And in my case, make an ass out of myself trying to hit the high notes in “take on me” by A-ha

• smiler2729 says:

I avoided embarrassment and just did “Rainy Day Women”, you can’t screw up Dylan, just plug your nose and scream “everybody must get stoned!!!”

_______________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
        The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

49. punkster says:

Would like to see another game like last night…preferably in my life time.

Release the Subbang!!!

50. gumper says:

High winds knocked out my satellite TV dish today, though strangely, internet dish on the same pole is working. Can anyone provide me with a link that will be streaming the game? Many thanks.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

I don’t understand how Habs can clinch a home ice advantage with a win tonight. If they win they are 5 points up on TB who has 3 games to play. I they win all 3 and Habs their remaining game TB will finish ahead, no? What am I missing here, oh you stats and number geeks.

52. shiram says:

Here’s the HIO show with Coderre it’s up on youtube :

53. The Teacher says:

Ian. I agree with you. There seems to be something special there this year with our team.

54. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Can’t believe the mayor got criticism for calling out a player who actually was playing terrible. He’s just a crazy fan like the rest of us. As long as he is not a crook like the last jerk, I’m fine with him.

This is going to be a great triple W night tonight!, I wish it was 4 W’s!
    But alas, Wings, Wine and a Win!! No Women

56. JF says:

Since their spectacular comeback against the Senators on March 15, the Habs have been playing their best hockey of the season, in fact the best hockey any Habs team has played in twenty years. Last night’s game was a thing of beauty, with great speed, pinpoint passing, and end-to-end rushes. A fantastic game, even though we lost it in OT.

The addition of Thomas Vanek seems to have galvanized our attack. Instead of playing the boring defensive hockey we’ve played for most of the season, we now have the tools to play an all-out, in-your-face, attacking game that is far more exciting to watch and also, I think, gives us a better chance of winning.

This team is also the readiest I have seen any Habs team in recent years going into the playoffs. With the exception of Galchenyuk, the players are healthy or just about healthy, with the added bonus that we’ve been able to rest a few of our veterans. Price appears to have regained his pre-injury form, and Budaj has also played very well, except for the somewhat unlucky OT goal last night. But perhaps the biggest difference in this year’s team is that they’re playing with a ton of confidence and self-belief, and they’re playing for each other.

We are just now starting to appreciate Bergevin as a great General Mgr. Some very slick moves by this guy, has put us from, good team to very good team.

• Habitoba says:

Having been known as a “character player” himself, he seems to know what to look for in his players. Super pumped for the playoffs

• keviathan says:

When we snagged Rick Dudley from the Leafs I recall reading that one of his strengths was knowing every player in the league…could be that he also deserves credit for the recent trades that seem to be working out in our favour.

58. punkster says:

From one of the September HIO polls:

Where do you think the Canadiens will finish in the Eastern Conference standings?
    Third or fourth (35%, 1,614 Votes)
    Fifth or sixth (29%, 1,343 Votes)
    Seventh or eighth (17%, 771 Votes)
    First or second (12%, 543 Votes)
    Ninth or worse (out of playoffs) (7%, 350 Votes)
    Total Voters: 4,621

Release the Subbang!!!

59. thebonscott says:

Went to see bulldogs at ice caps last night, some observations. Nick sorkin is a great skater, need a larger sample size for talent but he did make some smart plays. Greg pateryn is ready, he is calm, cool, and scored his 15th last night, honestly think if habs called him up they would have to keep him up, but they have no room right now, yes he is that good. Drewiske was steady, but has fallen down the depth chart. Schiestel and chouinard are a steady ahl pairing. LeBlanc was uninspiring, not bad, just blah. Andighetto has lots of skill and is very evasive, was impressed. Crisp is big and can move but will benefit from a year in ahl or more. Vail played but was not a factor, hard to tell if just off night. Ellis was steady, needs another year or more in ahl.

Looking forward to tonight and the future.
    C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

60. jimmy shaker says:

John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl 20m
    #Habs lines vs NYI:
    Pacioretty Desharnais Vanek
    Gionta Plekanec Gallagher
    Bourque Brière Weise
    Bournival White Parros

Eller still sick

Shaker out!

61. BriPro says:

Murray’s in tonight.
    I hope that’s a good thing.
    I wonder if the Habs are expecting trouble…
    from a team with nothing to lose and a call-up rookie who set fighting records in the minors.
    I hope ….. never mind. Don’t need the jinx!

62. Sportfan says:

Have they tried Gally and Briere together?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

63. While we’ve beaten the Isles this year, I was at the 6-2 game last year and it was embarassing. Never to be taken lightly. We took our foot off the pedal last night for a minute and lost the game. Need to play 60 minutes and it would really suck going into the playoffs losing three as the Rangers aren’t to be taken lightly either.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

64. Yup Boone… that pic is funny!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

65. gmur says:

Fearless prediction:

Pacioretty gets his 40th, Habs hit 100 points.

66. Habitant in Surrey says:

…there are not too many politicians We like and respect, but Jim Flaherty was one …R.I.P.

67. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Is there word on Galchenyuk?

68. BriPro says:

10 – I guess I’m a flower.

69. Donkey Hoat says:

Third!

70. bwoar says:

Pacioretty gets his 40th tonight. Right?

71. shiram says:

(darn)

72. habs_1978 says:

1st ever?

73. Texus says:

lol true, time will tell i guess

74. Sal from the Hammer says:

Hope your right

75. Black Horse says:

I am over 50

76. slapshot777 says:

Troll #1

77. Azriel says:

News flash.. Parros is over… repeat, Parros.. is … over!

78. Azriel says:

That’s what she said…

79. Black Horse says:

U got a problem with the truth?

80. punkster says:

Relax Priceburg

Release the Subbang!!!

81. Black Horse says:

That’s original.

82. Azriel says:

You should answer MY posts :) I have tons of original thoughts for you my friend.

83. Azriel says:

Blame it on Gorges.

84. Azriel says:

Ok, Isles players are playing for contracts and Habs have clinched the playoffs… better?

85. Azriel says:

Yeah, and you are such a genius you can’t even get the sarcasm :)

It’s ok, next time I’ll go slower for you

86. UKRAINIANhab says:

LOL.

87. Texus says:

Ha! I saw and I laughed lol, come back in 2 weeks ;)

88. Fansincebirth says:

All shut outs?

89. crane says:

iSLANDERS PLAYING 11 ROOKIES LOOK OKAY

90. Azriel says:

All goals scored by Bishop… while injured.

91. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ok….

92. Black Horse says:

Montreal?

93. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Pleks disappears in the playoffs

94. AH says:

those 2 are brutal together and poor Gally has to try and play with them…

95. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Yeah, that’s the way I see it too. His strength is puck-moving, and that is PK and Markov’s job currently. Tinordi’s physicality is more valuable right now, and there is no other spot available.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

96. clutch73 says:

He’s been their best def in games he’s played in. He’s skates as good as if not better than PK, moves the puck as good as PK if not better. Has a great shot. What does playoffs have to with anything. You put the players on the ice that give you the best chance to win. Your going to tell me that the 2 pylons of Murray and Bouillon give us a better chance?

97. kalevine says:

subban played 2 games in 2010, was sent down, and recalled early in the playoffs when Markov went down. Another injury is probably what it would take to get the kids playing.

98. AH says:

Both of those schmoes should be gone in the off season, but many on here want Gionta re-signed and Raggedy Andy Gorges made Captain! LOL!!!!!!

Yeah, 13-2 without rah rah boy and all I kept hearing was how they missed Gorges…what????

99. CJ says:

Gionta’s not my guy. Reading this forum, which I enjoy immensely, there are a number of folks, all well informed and knowledgeable, who suggest that Gionta has earned an extension. IMO, I’d let him walk. Two other captains were moved at the deadline – but I gathered that is not something we do in Montreal. Fair enough. We will live with the results.

100. The Jackal says:

[End scene]
    Cut!

Not enough sarcasm Haborama, try it again.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

101. jimmy shaker says:

That was pretty funny.

Shaker out!

102. HabsPooch says:

Are you serious…the same Leafs that got pounded by Florida tonight?

103. Habcouver says:

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

104. HabsPooch says:

“This is the best I can ever remmeber this team being since 2008. I kid you not.” …..That is your exact quote from last week….my, how one game can really change your mind. Lol.

105. The Jackal says:

I think he is being sarcastic

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

106. HabsPooch says:

Probably…all in good fun though…

107. Habcouver says:

I can’t tell, honestly. We need a checkbox or something for Sarcasm.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!