Liveblog: Game 80 – Canadiens lose an OT thriller to Hawks, Galchenyuk injured

BournChi

These teams play great games

Andrei Markov scored in Overtime to give the Canadiens a 2-1 win over Chicago at the Bell Centre on Jan. 11.

Almost three months later, the Blackhawks bounced back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits before Marian Hossa beat Peter Budaj in OT.

Two non-snipers – Dale Weise and Francis Bouillon – scored third-period goals for the Canadiens.

Jeremy Morin and, with 48 seconds on the clock, Marian Hossa, brought the home team back.

Excellent hockey game.

But costly.

Alex Galchenyuk was injured on his second shift and was seen on crutches after the game.

And a bad one ends it

Patrick Sharp's harmless-looking shot eluded Peter Budaj and gave Chicago the win.

Four goals

Scoreless for 47:31 before Dale Weise, of all people, scored the first goal of the game.

Jeremy Morin tied it before Francis Bouillon, of all people, gave the Canadiens the lead.

Marian Hossa tied the game with 48 seconds left.

On to OT

Soccer on ice?

Bayern Munic scored three goals against Manchester United in Champions League action on Wednesday.

That's three more than the Canadiens and Blackhawks have produced in 40 minutes.

That's not a complaint.

It's a terrific game, with skating and excellent goaltending.

Canadiens outshot the Hawks 10-6 in the second period.

Great hockey

Two skating teams combined for 24 shots on goal, 13 by the Canadiens.

Corey Crawford made great saves on Tomas Plekanec and Rene Bourque.

Peter Budaj stopped Marcus Kruger and Duncan Keith.

Alex Galchenyuk played two shifts, too a hit from Andrew Shaw and didn't return.

Long time no Chi

Your Montreal Canadiens have not played at the United Center since Dec. 21, 2011.

Peter Budaj was in goal for that one, too, and he was beaten for five goals on 28 Chicago shots.

Andrei Kostitsyn opened the scoring on a power play less than six minutes into the game. And that was it in a 5-1 loss by a lineup that included AK46, Mike Cammalleri, Petteri Nokelainen, Chris Campoli, Tomas Kaberle,Mike Blunden, Mathieu Darche, Raphael Diaz, Louis Leblanc, Erik Cole and Hal Gill.

There have been a few changes.

And despite the absence of Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin and Carey Price, the playoffs-bound Canadiens who face the Blackhawks Wednesday night are a better team that that 2011-'12 bunch that would finish last in the Eastern Conference.

Even without Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, the defending Stanley Cup champs are a formidable opponent. Chicago is riding a three-game winning streak and still has a chance to overtake St. Louis and Colorado in the Central Division.

1. habsfaninboston says:

Weak call.

White looks like he hurt his hand bad as well.

3. Coach K says:

It’s been a good week…

Sun’s out.
    Marois out
    Leafs out

Just sayin…

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• smiler2729 says:

Jenna’s birthday today…

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

4. StevieM61 says:

Jeez
    fun to watch but can we keep this up?

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

5. Just A Guy says:

RDS going to be asking around about Chucky during the 1st intermission.

6. AH says:

It would be sweet if Patches got 40, and Gally got 20, that kid works so dam hard!

7. athanor says:

Houde’s wish would have to be Habs in Central Division, since Atlantic has the double excrescences of Boston and Toronto

8. UKRAINIANhab says:

Boullion hand, galchenyuk ?

9. Habilis says:

I must have missed it, what happened to Chucky?

10. Max says:

The Hawks don’t give shooters much time before they get their sticks on the puck.Can’t overpass or be too cute playing against them.Get the shot off as soon as you get the puck.

11. Habs_Fan_In_San_Diego says:

Hey, somebody on these boards posted a while ago that there are some sites where you can watch the Habs games.

Can someone repost those links again, for a Habs-starved fan in SoCal :(

Thanks!

12. smiler2729 says:

What a great day!
    The Leafs suck and are gone.
    Jenna Jameson’s birthday.
    Habs-Hawks and real hockey…

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

13. CJ says:

Excellent flow. Very fluid. Chances at both ends. Lots to like so far.

14. AH says:

Dd line needs to stop all the cute passing come playoff time.
    Just fill the net!

15. jols says:

Great action. Hope Chucky is OK.

16. Harditya says:

Hope Chucky’s okay! Not on the bench

17. Mattyleg says:

This game is good.

But bad for my heart.

The playoffs better not be like this, or else…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. Danno says:

THIS is hockey

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

19. ooder says:

Holy balls. This game is good!!!!!

20. UKRAINIANhab says:

Shoot DD!!!!

21. Dulljerk says:

Beaulieu looking confused tonight.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

22. Dulljerk says:

Galchenyuk and Boullion not on the bench.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

23. UKRAINIANhab says:

BORK!

24. Mattyleg says:

Cripes, this game is gonna be over by 9!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. UKRAINIANhab says:

Solid start

26. db says:

Love this game so far.. good flow and no whistles.

27. Texus says:

Good game so far! Nice start for the Habs, Cawford lookin sharp

28. Danno says:

Was that the first whistle? Almost nine minutes of non-stop end-to-end hockey.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

29. UKRAINIANhab says:

Plek should have got that up

30. Phil C says:

That’s why Beaulieu needs to play. The puck goes from on his stick deep in his end to a scoring chance in the other end for Plekanec.

31. db says:

I like teams that play hockey, like Montreal and Chicago.

32. UKRAINIANhab says:

Beaulieu starting a bit slow, he will pick it up tho

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

…fantastic anthems

…if those don’t give You chills up Your spine, You must be dead

• Coach K says:

Hate to disagree…the guy is a great vocalist but sings them too slow. I always figure an anthem should be rousing and a bit up tempo not sleep-inducing. Prevost-Linton in Montreal and Donnelly in Vancouver do a fantastic Job in my humble opinion.

On another note (pun intended) nice start for les boys!

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

34. UKRAINIANhab says:

Nice anthem

35. Davey93 says:

They sang the anthem in French. Classy.

36. Loop_Garoo says:

Although I my French has suffered badly from lack of use and I would prefer to hear the anthem in English, that was a seriously classy move singing in half french half english in Chicago.

37. punkster says:

Nobody does it like Frank:

Release the Subbang!!!

38. CJ says:

Good evening folks!

Looking forward to seeing the boys play an original six. I am hoping for a great game tonight. A win, although difficult, is not out of the realm of possibility.

Just couldn’t get over to Gatineau tonight to watch the Olhmpiques. I’ll be going on Friday night for sure. Hard to retain complete focus this week on the eve of the Masters. I can’t wait!

Go Habs, go DeLaet!

39. WindsorHab-10 says:

Go Habs Go!!!!

40. Hobie Hansen says:

Well, I’m out. I like to be positive during the game! I like the coach, I think we’ll win and I love Subban. Go Habs Go!

41. UKRAINIANhab says:

Eller has the flu alot

42. L Elle says:

My opinion of Therrien hasn’t changed. I wasn’t too hard on him to start with. My biggest beef with him, is his lack of creativity.

He’s a good coach, but not a great one. I might change my opinion if during the upcoming playoffs, he outcoaches his peers. He was a horrible bench boss vs The Walrus, for example, last season.

The real reason, imho, the team is in 2nd, is Carey Price’s stellar play for most of the season. Their late season surge is thanks to him, and the lights out play of Patches, DD and Vanek.

43. tbonesr says:

who starts, budaj or tokarski

44. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hello

45. filincal says:

Gimme something good Booner!!

46. JUST ME says:

Eller is out with the flu. Weise should be in.

47. Re: a thread down below, about people not being able to admit Therrien was a good hire:

I’ll admit it. I thought he’d be a train wreck, I still think someone else would have been better for the kids, and I don’t like his player usage or line-juggling. But if, when he was hired, you’d told me the last-place Habs would proceed to win the Northeast in 2012-13 and then manage 97 points in 79 games in 13-14, with a 82-41-12 record along the way, I’d have laughed in your face. There’s no denying that he’s done well.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

48. Dulljerk says:

Why do I get the feeling we are going to get smoked tonight????

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

49. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Big day at the Saloon with the Lads knocking back Stellas and Single Malts. Got some pints riding on tonight with my Hawks Fan buddy. He spotted me a goal! Hope I can make it to the end. If not, Vas-y Les Boys! Saludos!

50. jimmy shaker says:

Subban needs a couple of goals before the year ends I think, and one at least on the PP for his confidence and the PP’s as well. And someone let MT know that PK needs to stand on his feet when he’s in the D zone, way too much sliding around taking himself out of the play. Simple first pass, skate when you can, hit everything and a rocket to the top shelf where nona doesn’t dust over crawford’s mit for the game winner tonight!

Shake and bake and I’m done!

51. Texus says:

“lineup that included AK46, Mike Cammalleri, Petteri Nokelainen, Chris Campoli, Tomas Kaberle,Mike Blunden, Mathieu Darche, Raphael Diaz, Louis Leblanc, Erik Cole and Hal Gill”

Thank goodness we have a new GM! Seriously, looking back on it, what the hell was management thinking lol?!

52. Danno says:

We need to produce some bandwaggon application forms* and start passing them around…

*Some conditions apply

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

53. dhenry1234 says:

Habs are going to kick some serious Ass tonight. Patches destroys and gets 2 goals and leads the team to a solid 6-2 victory!

You may want to Google heartbleed. It could get ugly in terms of encrypted websites.

55. jols says:

Go Habs Go!!!

Looking forward to seeing both Nate and Tiny in the lineup tonight. I wish they were both regulars. They will be pressured a lot tonight from a fast Hawks fore check. I hope they do us proud. Love ‘em both.

56. SlovakHab says:

“I really miss Campoli, Kaberle, Blunden and Nokelainen”, said no Habs fan ever.

57. WindsorHab-10 says:

Seeing how our Habs are the only Canadian team in the postseason, here’s my pledge to you:

I will not criticize/condemn the coaching staff during our playoff run, win or lose. Having the only Canadian team there is a great accomplishment & with next week being a brand new season, you just never know what the next few weeks have in store. Exciting times for Canadiens fans & Canadians as well.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

58. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Get ready for a Habs loss tonight

• Ron says:

Have a look at the video just below and have some faith.

• twilighthours says:

Such a Debbie downer.

• Slackman says:

This genius says the same thing before every single habs game. If he’s wrong, you won’t hear from him until next game, where he posts something along the lines of ‘get ready for a Habs loss tonight’. But if he’s right, well, even a blind pig sometimes finds an acorn, and he’ll be on here flaunting his foresight, acting like he’s smart or something.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

59. dabouz says:

season in a nutshell! ready for the playoffs!!!

db out.

60. …and… why isn’t Weise in the line-up? Him with White and Bourny as a fourth line? Or add Eller, or Prust if he’s healthy. Got lot’s of good stuff on that fourth line. Move Prust to the third and sit Bourque. Sure he was very good last game, but he’s only good after he sits.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

61. To Psycho and everyone else who is warming up to MT with the winning record. Straight-up the Habs are 45 and 34, 11 games over .500. Good, not great.

Goals for… tepid

Goals against good, not great.

PP sucks massively the last half of the season.

PK excellent.

One scoring line.

Norris winner in disarray.

How deep we will go depends on all cylinders firing at the same time, not with all of the above, which is mostly suspect, so let’s not hand MT any trophies yet. Still don’t like his line juggling, use of Frankie and what I still consider his mishandling of Eller and Gally (Tinordi we’ll see). He was brought in to nurture the youth. Has he done that I ask you?

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Hobie Hansen says:

Goals for, greatly improved now that they Habs have a true 1st line.

Goals against not great lol? There are what, 5 or 6 better teams in the league in that category? Give me a break.

PP, we are scoring more even strength goals which is more important. The Bruins won the cup with the worst PP in the league. So who cares.

One scoring line? Plekanec 20 goals, Gallagher 19 and Gionta who been real hot lately with 17 add good secondary offense. We’ll be fine.

PK Excellent.

Norris winner is disarray. Too bad, he needs to smarten up. The team is winning, he needs to be better.

Eller, he’s sulking and quit! Professional sports is a tough gig. Maybe he’s not cut out for it…

62. JF says:

@24 Cups – Steve, I wouldn’t be so sure that Lindback’s being in goal for Tampa to close out the regular season pretty well guarantees us home ice advantage. Nor would I be willing to bet that if we were to face Lindback in the playoffs, we’d do any better against him than we’ve done against Bishop. Tampa plays an extremely hermetic defensive system, the kind of system the Habs struggle mightily against. And their aggressive forecheck makes it difficult for their opponent to get through the neutral zone with any speed or flow. Last game against them we were reduced to chipping the puck out and chasing it – a strategy that never works well for the Habs. IMO it will make little difference what goaltender we face if we can’t find a way to counter the Lightning’s forecheck, get through the neutral zone with speed, and establish some kind of net presence.

63. Hobie Hansen says:

The Leafs had a bad collapse and deserve to be laughed at. Their fans deserve to be upset. I’m loving every minute of it!

In saying that though, their roster isn’t as bad as people are making it out to be. Sure Phaneuf isn’t a great captain, isn’t a #1 and is a douche on television. We all know that. However, if the Leafs add a couple good blue liners over the summer who are known for playing strong defence, I think they’re a playoff team. They have quite a bit of cap space.

Their top six is actually pretty good as well. They need some solid 3rd and 4th liners and a couple more defensemen.

I hope that doesn’t happen and they miss the playoffs for the next 10 years but their current roster doesn’t really have that many holes. It’s being blown way out of proportion.

Someone needs to be hired there to come in and settle things the heck down, make a few moves and grab the bull by the horns. Not a blowhard like Burke or a moron like Ferguson. Someone like Bergevin has turned out to be, Yzerman…someone who can take the heat and do the right thing.

64. Psycho29 says:

It seems that Shanahan will take over the Leafs but will keep his job as NHL disciplinarian.

I assume Michael THerrien is planning to play Bouillon top minutes tonight because without Markov and Emelin who else will?

66. Psycho29 says:

Interesting twist on tonight’s Columbus-Dallas game:

Game rescheduled from March 10 after Dallas F Rich Peverley collapsed on bench. The game will be a full 60 minutes, but will begin with Columbus leading 1-0.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are poised to hire Brendon Shanahan to come in and take over the operation of the hockey team.

68. monmick says:

Speaking of Brett Gallant, he reminds me a bit of Zac Rinaldo in terms of size, toughness and pure fighting ability. Rinaldo is probably a more skilled hockey player, though, at least at this point in his career.

And speaking of Rinaldo, he fought Jarome Iginla recently (March 30).

I beleive Iginla missed 3 of the following 4 (or 2 of the following 3) games after this fight. He was stung pretty badly in that fight. I haven’t seen any official reports on this, but it would not surprise me if Iginla was injured (mild concussion?) during that fight. Jarome is very tough, but I don’t think I have ever seen him get tagged like this before. I know the desire and pride is still there, but I think he is getting to an age where he really should not be fighting kids like Rinaldo (or Gallant) anymore…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• mark-ID says:

Wow, Iginla caught two clean punches in that one. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he got a mild concussion.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think we’ll see Jarome drop the gloves and Rinaldo the next regular season game the Flyers and Bruins play. Even the best get caught off guard on occasion. If Jarome goes into the game planning to get even, Rinaldo is in trouble.

• Slackman says:

Wrong.

As much as I loathe Rinaldo he could probably mash Iginla to a pulp blindfolded and with a busted skate blade. Ever since joining the Bruins, Iginla’s become a scumbag with his after-the-whistle stick whacks and shoves and when someone comes to retaliate he hides behind Chara or Thornton or Lucic (or whoever else is a goon on that goon team.) Rinaldo giving him a beating like that will only make this hitting, running, hiding, and chirping worse.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

• monmick says:

He certainly wasn’t the type of player to retaliate against a clean hit; at least not that I remember…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Hobie Hansen says:

LOL Ok buddy. Not even close to the truth. Iginla has NEVER hid behind anyone! I’ve seen Rinaldo get his but kicked by 75% of the guys he’s fought. From enforcers, big defensemen, grinders and star players, Iginla has never backed down from anybody. Rinaldo caught Iginla off guard and threw a bunch of hay makers while Iginla was getting set. Big deal. Iginla will go right after him and win. Rinaldo is such a cheap little punk he’ll probably turtle.

69. Cal says:

Book of Hab
    Chapter 14
    v. 80

And so the chief of the Blessed Ones bade them
    To venture into the City of the Big Shoulders,
    and to do so without guile nor breadth,
    For the Blackhawks were without their Warriors of Renown.
    The Ste-Flanelle knew the meaning of mercy, though that City
    Was full of wind.
    So sayeth the Book of Hab.

70. B says:

Pacioretty ranks 1st with 11 game winning goals.
    Markov ranks 4th with 176 blocked shots.
    Plekanec ranks 5th with 3 short handed goals.
    Subban ranks 7th in minor penalties.
    Desharnais ranks 8th among shooting% leaders.

–Go Habs Go!–

Faith, my beloved golden, would like to know where everyone is right now.

• shiram says:

At work, waiting for it to be over.

• At the ‘puter, back from client with a spa chain and he needs it. He just got served and it’s gonna be a messy divorce. I’m on the phone with my lawyer as my ex picked up and took my kids moving them to Florida. The system down here isn’t father friendly and I’m not partial to spending tens of thousands more dragging her into court again when my kids are 15 and 17, the former is OK with the move, the latter was crying hysterically on the phone. Sorry guys, just venting. Amazing this sheeite goes on in this day and age.
      Otherwise Golden, looking forward to the game tonight. Taking out a couple of Mike’s Hard to calm my nerves.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

Hab prospect, Erik Nystrom, has signed a two year deal to play in Sweden. No great loss, it’s not like he was ever much of a prospect. More a late round shot in the dark.

The Lightning shut down Bishop for the rest of the regular season. The Habs technically have a three point lead on Tampa so with Lindback in net that pretty well assures home ice for the Habs. Sweet.

Just a reminder that the game is on TSN tonight. As well, there is a Masters preview on the Golf Channel.

Just might be time to pour a few Rusty Nails.

Here is a preview for tonight’s game including line-ups.

76. Texus says:

For sure, but still, that supporting cast mentioned by Boone is just ugly lol especially AK, Campoli, Kaberle, Gill, Diaz, Nokeleinen

77. D Man says:

All of us at home? And since when do CBC commentators saying something end up as proof of fact?

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

78. ont fan says:

I think it is up to MT and Gionta isn’t with Vanek

79. scrotchland says:

I agree 100% brother…..
    as they say, the squeeky wheel gets to go to greece

80. SlovakHab says:

I thought Petrov and Traverse were half decent.

Try 2006/2007 Habs:

David Aebischer
    Janne Niinimaa
    Garth Murray
    Sergei Samsonov

81. SlovakHab says:

Eller with AK46 were a very good 3rd line combination after they were put together.

82. neumann103 says:

More ready than Murray or Bouillon.
    And the kid is playing his off side.

83. CJ says:

That’s a huge point. He looks very poised, despite not playing his natural side.

84. UKRAINIANhab says:

85. UKRAINIANhab says:

…!!!

86. The Jackal says:

Ah yes, we “lost” tonight so it’s time for the doomsday predictions.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

87. Mattyleg says:

You seem to have watched a different game than the majority of us.
    Our top line kept the Hawks scrambling all night, and the only thing they toyed with was defeat.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

88. Colombiahabs says:

What game were you watching? Even the american announcers said that the Habs were completing out chancing them. I never seen so many whiners in my life

89. …and I’m a pessimist. Gotta agree with Matty, you must have been watching another game. Some mistakes, a little lazy on a couple, but overall we didn’t miss a beat.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

90. twilighthours says:

Habapples – (Roddy Piper)
    Member since April 4, 2014

91. Mattyleg says:

Return of the Storm?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

92. Mattyleg says:

You deal with it.
    I enjoy how good he is.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

93. AH says:

+1, so many rose coloured glasses on here for that guy.

94. twilighthours says:

From all those games where he played great for a backup. Ergo, he’s been great.

95. punkster says:

Bet my old man can beat up your old man.

Release the Subbang!!!

96. punkster says:

Bet he can’t.

Release the Subbang!!!

97. punkster says:

Can too.

Release the Subbang!!!

98. punkster says:

Can not.

Release the Subbang!!!

99. punkster says:

Oh ya?

Release the Subbang!!!

100. The Jackal says:

So goalies can’t play great games and still lose? Do you watch hockey?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

101. Mattyleg says:

Alot is a town and nagar panchayat in the Ratlam district of Madhya Pradesh, India.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

102. The Jackal says:

Aqui hay demasiados pendejos que vienen a comentar despues de perder un partido, na mas ignóralos ;)

That is assuming you speak Spanish :D

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

103. olematelot says:

You’re in the minority big guy, guess that means you don’t know what you’re talking about.

104. The Jackal says:

rofl

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

105. HabsPooch says:

Would have preferred them full time this year but that ship has sailed…

106. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Tampa looked pretty good against us

107. Slackman says:

So you know this for a fact? MT doesn’t like PK. This is AN ACTUAL FACT YOU CAN LOGICALLY ARGUE? ok. I believe you.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

108. Ton says:

babcock dude…………..he did not trust PK .

I like PK, but just to confirm, how different would Babcock be treating PK, or Hitchcock. You did definitively say no other coach, so you have me curious.

110. HabsPooch says:

Or hopefully just saving it for the playoffs…

111. DipsyDoodler says:

Does that happen? Players deliberately play badly in order to get traded?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

112. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Our coaches have totally screwed with his mind and confidence. Killed what made him great and unique in order to make him just pretty good overall and better fit in with the team-concept.

Did you by chance see how Freidman described the present day situation with PK and MT? I thought a fair summary.

114. Ton says:

there you go……..PK is not a world dman…….and the other D on the team which was number 8th got more playing time than pk. No the coach has to play whom he trusts……PK is not a trusted D man. Personally I think behind the scenes he asked for his 8 or 10 million and the Habs have said its over!

115. Colombiahabs says:

Not sure why its such a debate. Therrien seems to be doing good with the team and PK is a developing young star, its kinda normal that the 2 are gonna butt heads its part of the development. Its like when you take the ax to your father and only then do you truly become a man. Pk will eventually take Therrien down and when he does nobody will be prouder of him then his old grumpy coach. I mean you guys act like this is the first time we have seen this story in history.

116. HabsPooch says:

As much as Therien should get partial credit for his team’s success, he has absolutely mismanaged PK Subban. If you want to make him a better player then play him consistent big minutes, and challenge him playing him on the pk and in the last minute of play! I’m tired of seeing Gorges with that glazed eye look fishing the puck out of his team’s net. Put your best player on the ice. You might be surprised what happens when a player’s ego is on the line!

117. Ton says:

I’m a long time habs fans……a Quebecer and I cannot think of another coach that is better qualified to coach our habs. Remember only a few qualify because of the market. Furthermore he got our team into a play off spot (likely with home ice) . Its about team…….that’s it that’s all its not about its stars……as we speak PK is not playing like a star……he’s an average player making a contribution just like Weaver , Murray etc.

118. CJ says:

I don’t think MT is a bad coach. The results are in his favor. If there is no friction, and this is entirely on PK, which could be the case, than the notion of $8-$9 million per year scares the heck out of me.

119. Colombiahabs says:

HAHA nice one!!

120. CJ says:

Fair points Ton. I agree with your post. Cheers, CJ

121. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

he won’t get more than $7.5M/season and most likely will get $7M/season

122. Ton says:

very valid………good point…..habs don’t pay that kind of money! A modern day Lafleur> maybe!!!

123. Ton says:

your cannot reason……pack it in.

124. Ton says:

in montreal………..I doubt it………..he’s being positioned as we speak to by number 4 or 5…….he will likely not kill any penalty’s in the play offs………..you don’t pay 4th or 5th d’s 7 million a year. Montreal may have made there minds up…….we need to move forward with our play……..it may include PK it may not!!!!! That’s what is happening folks! Its business

125. Adidess says:

I agree. At least, I’d say try this different approach too to see how it works.

Is that an endorsement of MT’s style?