Liveblog: Game 8: Four-game win streak ends with 2-1 loss to Nashville

GallagherNashville

Winning streak ends

Nashville outshot the Canadiens 37-29 en route to an entertaining 2-1 win.

Goals by Shea Weber, during a first period power play, and Brendan Gallagher's fourth, in the second period, set up a tense final 20 minutes.

Lars Eller's goal, early in the third, was disallowed, and the teams settled down into a tight-checking battle that looked destined for OT.

But a poor clear by Travis Moen set off a sequence that ended with rookie defenceman Seth Jones driving toward the net and beating Carey Price.

The Canadiens goaltender was heroic in defeat, with 35 saves.

Pekka Rinne made 28 stops for Nashville.

The Canadiens lost Daniel Briere and Brandon Prust to injuries.

Jones wins it

With a nifty toe drag and a sweet shot, highly heralded rookie Seth Jones scored the only goal of the third period to break a 1-1 tie.

The winning goal came with 87 seconds left and the game headed for OT.

Should be a dandy third

Brendan Gallagher's fourth of the young season was the second period's only goal.

Gallagher benefited from some intense close-in work by Lars Eller and Michaël Bournival.

The latter finds himself on a line with David Desharnais and Rene Bourque after a hard check knocked Daniel Brière out of the game.

Nashville outshot the Canadiens 16-11 during the period.

Carey Price has faced 30 shots through 40 minutes.

Predatory period

Nashville had the home team on its heels for most of the game's first 20 minutes.

Shea Weber banked a shot in off Josh Gorges during a power play for the only goal thus far.

It was Nashville's 10th shot of the game. At that point, 12:31 in, the Canadiens had one shot on massive Pekka Rinne.

Shot totals for the period: Nashville 14 - Canadiens 6

Great young Dmen ... on both teams

P.K. Subban leads NHL defencemen in scoring and is seventh – behind six forwards – in the overall points race.

You won't find Seth Jones' name among the league leaders. Nashville's first choice, fourth overall, in the 2013 draft has a goal and two assists.

But Jones is averaging 23:46 of ice time per game, and hockey's punditocracy is raving about the kid.

The Canadiens haven't played Nashville since a Nov. 12, 2011 visit to Music City. Peter Budaj made 25 saves to out duel Pekka Rinne in a 2-1 win.

• Pre-game reading: An interesting take on P.K.

1,078 Comments

1. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Still waiting for MT to call out Moen for completely blowing the coverage on Jones…maybe if his name was something else…LOL

2. expat_habsfan says:

I could smell the stink through the TV. Price was really good tonight but if they lean on him like this every game it is going to be a long season. EGG line was ok. Bourque had a few moments but didn’t appear to have any chemistry with his line. I hope Prust isn’t down for long he plays every shift with heart. I feel very bad for Briere but for a player with a history of concussions he really needs to pay more attention. I wasn’t a fan of his signing and haven’t been impressed with his play thus far. I also don’t think if he is out of the line up the Habs will miss his minutes. The D is really soft and doesn’t appear to make opposing players fear paying for their ice. The forechecking was almost useless tonight and it makes me question if the Habs can maintain the tempo needed for that style of game all season. I think DD’s days have to be numbered he just isn’t contributing. I just can’t see the Habs being successful with this many really small players. Too often the smaller Habs are getting over powered, blocked out from the net (Gallagher is the exception), and just over muscled. It is really evident on 50/50 draws and when the cycle breaks down. They have almost no chance of getting the puck back. This is not a playoff team and may not be a very good regular season team either. Too bad I really wanted to see MB make major improvements but Briere, Murray, and Parros just aren’t enough.

• savethepuck says:

I have to ask this question. If the “no goal” was ruled “a goal” and the Habs win the hockey game, would every comment about tonight’s game be so completely negative? Perspective please.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

3. third generation haber says:

To Gorges???

He plays his balls off! May be a bit overpaid considering his puck skills, but he is definitely a warrior. He gets run because he’s valuable to our team and there is no anticipated payback!

We need Murray, Emellin, Parros, White, Moen, Prust, and Tinordi all in our line-up, every game if we are going to compete with the tough teams.

j.p. murray

4. H.Upmann says:

Two thoughts:
    1) they forechecked the CRAP out of us, lots of pressure
    2) MT can’t possibly be happy with DD

• Frank2468 says:

Right on both counts. But lets start a petition with only Hab fans no from the organization can vote.

1) D.D stays

2) Put D.D off the right wing and hope the plane leaves fast

Tabulating the votes now?????/

5. Dulljerk says:

The better team won tonight, Nashville out-worked and out-skated the Habs. A lot of people are disappointed with Briere, i’m not. He’s playing exactly how I expected him to play. Did anyone really expect this player to turn back the clock? He doesn’t appear to have anything left.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

6. John Q Public says:

Prust has to stop hurting himself.
    Briere. No comment
    The refs-This league can go *%$@ themselves.

7. Danno says:

The refs should not be a factor unfortunately they were tonight.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

8. galchenyuk27 says:

Would anyone appose to gagne and or brule being signed right now maybe Leblanc or Holland as a call up

9. Whatever says:

Very confused about the non-goal.

The ref announced it as “after review with all 4 on ice officials”, or something to that effect. So I’m assuming video replay was inconclusive, which I agree with. So shouldn’t the call of the ice stand with inconclusive video replay?

What’s this crap about other officials? When did that become a rule? How the flying #$%@ is the ref at center ice supposed to see a puck go over the goal line???

• Frank2468 says:

Well, you see it’s like this since the Laffs lost tonight and if the Habs would have won then we would be tied in points with 12 each and then the Laff fans in Tornaaa would have nothing to brag about. So the War Room in Tornaaa A.K.A Anti-Hab Room had no choice but to scre* Montreal tonight!!!!

• Whatever says:

That’s obvious. Happens all the time. But, I don’t believe the ref said anything about video review (Toronto war room).

I feel the ref changed his mind. That can’t happen.

• savethepuck says:

Refer to my post at 10:28 on the previous Page regarding the same thing. It explains my understanding of video review rules and my confusion.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

10. Da Hema says:

I too get frustrated with players. However I am really disappointed to see some posters below not only relishing an injury to Briere, but also hoping that some others get hurt. Those of you who are posting these comments should be ashamed of yourselves. Frankly, the moderators should delete these comments and the accounts of those who write such garbage in the first place.

• Danno says:

They are probably not real Habs fans

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Frank2468 says:

Very true not cool hoping someone gets hurt. But what I do find interesting is that we have guys going down like flies all over the ice and David Tomber never seems to get a scratch um mm interesting. Bet if you put an egg in his pocket and he goes into the corner with it he comes out with the egg intact!!!

• savethepuck says:

I commented on that on the last Page. I think it is absolutely deplorable too. They should be ashamed of themselves. I wouldn’t wish a season ending or career ending injury on my worst enemy. I think you have to realize that late on a Saturday night, you are going to get some questionable opinions and posts. I try to ignore them on a whole.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

11. Danno says:

Lars got robbed and we lose two or possibly three players. Not feeling good about this one.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

12. JO says:

We loss 2-1 because we were outplayed 2-1 The first two periods belonged to Nashville the 3rd was more ours. Same problem as last year. some of the weaker teams can beat us!! Soft, don’t want to go there and I don’t want to hear excuses. Refs may control the game they have nothing to do with putting the puck in the net for either team whether it be short handed or full strength.

13. Frank2468 says:

Anyone else having trouble connecting to the tsn690 in Montreal on TSN? I can get the Laff 590 blow hard station, guess TSN has reserved more bandwith for all the blowhards out of Tornaaa

14. MtlCANADIENS93 says:

tough game to lose tonight but we didnt play that good. price kept us in the game.

injuries are starting to pile up now! gorges got decked, briere probably has a concussion.

forwards that are injured:
    pacioretty (LEG)
    briere (HEAD)
    prust (SHOULDER)
    gorges (HEAD INJURY HOPEFULLY NOT CONCUSSED)

2 weeks in and injuries are starting to pile up

• savethepuck says:

That is why MB places an importance on depth. Let’s hope he has developed some in less than 2 years. An elite team should be able to live through a few injuries. Trading all your prospects and draft picks doesn’t allow you that luxury, present management has a changed philosophy. My question is “is 1 1/2 years enough”? Although I admit that in the 2011-12 season PG started the restocking when the Habs sucked, and I truly appreciate that and wish him no ill will.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

15. Nina76 says:

BRIERE……..IS DONE LIKE DINNER AND ALL THAT SALARY DOWN THE DRAIN………………FOR 2 YEARS……….WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!

• third generation haber says:

Let’s hope it is serious and long-term!!!

j.p. murray

• savethepuck says:

“Stay classy San Diego!”. That goes to both of you by the way. Wishing a year ending injury on anyone who wears the CH is absolutely deplorable, no matter how you think that player is playing.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• third generation haber says:

Is it????

Some of us want to win a cup before the next ice-age. Briere should be arrested for impersonating a hockey player. It’s precisely our love for the habs that overrides our need to “stay classy”.

j.p. murray

16. stephen says:

The team had to know things were stacked against them early on when one of the genius refs announced PK was being penalized 2 minutes for ‘embezzlement’.

Doesn’t excuse their lackluster powerplay, but good grief, there were some horrible calls tonight.

17. sCOTT1243 says:

Prust needs to freaken slow down when heading towards the boards.

Molson is going to need to build a Hospital onsite at the BC with these injury prone players. Habs must make up a good percentage of our Federal Medical costs…fawk.

Price, EGGs great game. Jorges, Bouillon, Gio, Bourque, DD wake up…Pleks win a dang face off. Refs terrible,nuff said. On to the next tabernouche…

Oh ya, HP Blade Server BL460…send me an email I’ll give ya a good deal :)

• savethepuck says:

It is always easy to pick out the Josh bashers. They either call him Georges or Jorges. He has been a Hab since 2007 ffs, his name is Josh Gorges. Give the guy a little respect when you dump on him please.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

18. T-roy West says:

The biggest loser tonight is this effing website. Five years running and you guys can’t get your shit together. Stop being so cheap and give us the server that we deserve. You are nothing without the people who come to this site so please get it together. So disappointed. Everyone is complaining but it’s like you don’t care. Every game night you fail us.

• savethepuck says:

Totally frustrating regarding this website. I am far from an IT guy, I don’t understand it. I do have an engineering background from many years ago, and I know what a factor of safety is. You have to think about the worst case scenario and then triple it. I guess the IT guys at HI/O don’t live by that creed. This freezing up. Crap has been consistent for way too long.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

19. johnnylarue says:

Hey does anyone with an eye on the Dogs know how Louis Leblanc has been playing so far?

(Gee whiz, I knew our depth would be tested at some point this season, but I wasn’t expecting it to happen three weeks in…)

20. Frank2468 says:

Well nice to see Price and the EGG line came to play. But this DD is really pi**ing me off. On the second goal the whole thing started when he couldn’t clear the puck from behind the net. Which led to the 2nd goal 20 seconds later. What I really find interesting is you have guys going down like files throughout the team and the only one that keeps coming up unscathed is ????? you guested it the golden child DD. Guess it helps when you avoiding checks and going in to the corners and the dirty areas!!! Hope M.B and M.T see what the rest of us see and do something about this bum. Put him on waivers if they can and if he clears then he’s Hamilton bound wouldn’t hurt the team either way. But guess if they did that the city would be up in arms and you know why!!!

21. savethepuck says:

This server absolutely sucks. Haven’t been able to comment since the “no goal” BS. Correct me if I am wrong, the ref said “according to the 4 refs on the ice, it was no goal”. What about the guy behind the net with the red stripes on his sleeve with his arm up pointing in the net? Looking at replays, I was confident because there was no way they could overturn the call on the ice, or at least that is what I thought the rule was. Surprise, surprise, video review in Turanna had it differently somehow. I guess when they went to video review, the ref on the phone must of said ” I prematurely erected my arm and pointed but didn’t mean to do that ( that’s why I’m having marital problems I guess)”. Then Turanna can justify themselves by completely going off the boards on this. Will we ever get an explanation? I freaking doubt it. Curious to see the take on this on 24 CH. I know I watch the game through Bleu-blanc et Rouge glasses, but I’m curious to hear the views of non biased posters like Chris for example. I am totally pished.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Chuck says:

I missed the whole ‘goal that’s now not a goal’. Any idea where I could catch a replay of it?

_______________________
      Anything is possible.

• savethepuck says:

If you have RDS, Canadiens Express starts at 11:30 EDT, I am sure you will see it there. If not, wait a few hours and Google “no goal” Montreal versus Nashville October 19, 2013

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

22. PeterD says:

Mike Boone asks…”does anyone miss Ryder”?

With 3 goal…I would rather have him in the lineup than Briere.

23. db says:

And then what? We sign Gagne? I agree, we aren’t a playoff team…

• third generation haber says:

NO FUCKIN WAY! We finish where we should (8th), get a decent draft pick, and begin the process of riding this organization of smurfs from top to bottom.

If u are under 5-11 and your name isn’t Gallagher, u need to go:

Gionta, DD, Briere, Thomas, Reway, Duffy, must go!!!
      (possibly keep Andrighetto)

I don’t give a flying Phuck how much character they have, small teams don’t win cups!!!!!

j.p. murray

24. duffy says:

Hard to win when only four players participating in game. EGG line and Carey only ones who came to play. Rest a bunch of deadbeats tonight,!!! What happened to the big tough team they were going to have this year?

25. zip by says:

some random thoughts:

nashville owned the boards tonight – our guys just passed by at worst or at best did a little pokey pokey with the stick – at no time did they just step into the opposing player

gionta and pleks – how many blind back passes to nobody can you make in one game? this game must have been close to the record

watching on RDS – how many times do you hear ‘[hab] passe vers..[autre hab]“…..? vers vers vers vers!!!!! when do these guys get a seminar on making an accurate pass?

price played very well – he deserved better than the team in front of him

kid line is the best line on the team period

question: is there any better strategy than “dump and change” – whatever happened to chase?

very frustrating game to watch – a pleasure when the kids took some initiative, depressing the rest of the time

oh… did i mention the refs really sucked?

26. Da Hema says:

I found this game so depressing in so many piercing ways. The Habs had opportunities to win the game despite being outplayed — especially with the power plays which went 0-5. The Habs’s passes were off all night long, and they certainly didn’t skate like they can. The Predators once again demonstrated how a swift, big team can punish us mercilessly. Prust looked like he hurt himself again. The referees were simply dreadful: a shot to Briere’s head is uncalled, phantom calls against Subban, and a referee who either “changed his mind” about a goal or was overruled based on inconclusive evidence. What a lousy game. The Predators deserved to win, but they shouldn’t be too proud of themselves with the way they did.

27. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Didn’t get to see 98% of the game. What happened to Brière, and did he return? And did Prust leave the game never to return? (Note to Boone: this would have been useful info.)

28. Chuck says:

Missed most of the game, but what’s this I hear about a goal being overturned without conclusive evidence? How can that happen?

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

29. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

NHL war room should be relocated to a city without an NHL team. Like Philadelphia or Winnipeg.

30. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Absolute bush league officiating. Really at a loss for words…

24 cups and counting….

31. topher5468 says:

After all these years, Web site still has the same problems. Why? SOOOOOOO Frustrating

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• habsfan1144 says:

Agree Boone you need to get better IT people….you go down way too often…

Habs a .500 team and while I applaud Bergevin changing some of the culture on the team, I’m not so impressed with his re-signing.

BOULLION
      BIERE
      MOEN
      DEHARNAIS

Not one has made Bergevin look very smart….quite the opposite actually.

32. topher5468 says:

In an 82 game season, you’re gonna have games like these. Clearly Nashville was the better team tonight. Poor PP was ultimate downfall.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

33. Johnny9 says:

Gorges: on for 2 goals and put one of them in his own net. Great game buddy! Also got rocked and lost the puck cause he doesn’t know how to keep his head up and he tries to stick handle! I found the refs screwed us also with many blown calls including the goal which he clearly signaled a goal at first on the ice and the war room in Toronto said let’s screw them cause Torrona is losing tonight! BS all around! On to fight night! Go Dos Santos!

• jyates5 says:

Johnny O

Chill out, one of our best defencemen in terms of blocking shots and taking anything for his teammates, he’s a class act player and not the reason we lost tn.

JY – I support Carey Price

• jyates5 says:

A few notes:

- Was not our best game, although we deserved a better fate. Refs we’re brutal and have been all season need to get their shit together

- Injuries will kill us this season, tn we lost 2 plus pacioretty, murray emelin most importantly

- Price was excellent again although could have made that last save

- The EGG line was our best again, Moen sucks and needs to be moved out of town

- MB may wanna look to signing Simon Gagne if briere and prust are out long term….

JY – I support Carey Price

34. Johnny9 says:

Gorges: on for 2 goals and put one of them in his own net. Great game buddy! I found the refs screwed us also with many blown calls including the goal which he clearly signaled a goal at first on the ice and the war room in Toronto said let’s screw them cause Torrona is losing tonight! BS all around! On to fight night! Go Dos Santos!

35. ross says:

In a game filled with brain-farts from the Habs, players “qui manque de synchronisme” on almost every rush, poor bounces and bad luck penalties (*two* delays of game!), a goal called on the ice inexplicably nullified, refs that certainly seemed to lean on the Habs a bit more than Nashville, and two key players leaving the game early; amidst all that, it was still a one goal game from a single instance of poor defensive coverage.

We didn’t have much spark, and it wasn’t fun to watch, but even grinding it out on a bad night we weren’t blown away.

36. Ozmodiar says:

Trade DD.

/that is all

37. topher5468 says:

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

38. H.Upmann says:

thanks again Boone

39. Harditya says:

Thats what happens when your PP continuously sucks.. missed opportunity

40. Habbu says:

Moen……..thanks you us one

41. NLhabsfan says:

That the effing game

42. NLhabsfan says:

PP really sucks

43. Habbu says:

With disappointment written all over his face……..he had to call it

44. NLhabsfan says:

Can hear that ding all the way to NFLD.

45. danhabsfan says:

Horrible PP. Why?

46. Un Canadien errant says:

Proost? Troba? Millen is at it again, lost in his pinwheel.

47. NLhabsfan says:

Oh Jeez not Prust..has his bell rang.

48. NLhabsfan says:

Make up call?

49. Storman says:

The only thing worse than these dunb ass officials. is the HIO server running this site from Boone’s van down by the river

50. Habbu says:

Moen takes a high stick in the face….no call

51. duffy says:

These officials sure have taken the wind out of PK S SAILS,

52. danhabsfan says:

Someone pleas explain that no goal call. Hg ref signalled led goal, but then announced that the 4 refs had called no goal… How does that happen?

53. Bill says:

Not stellar refereeing tonight I gather?

54. NLhabsfan says:

Always bothers me that goal reviews go back to Toronto.It’s not the first time we have been burnt by those judges.

55. bleublancrouge says:

Take nhl headquarters out of Toronto and it will instantly become a legitimate league…ish

56. Habbu says:

A new set of rules for tonight’s game only…………ridiculous

57. Storman says:

To be honest really not sure what the dumb ass ref was pointing to in the corner of the net, certainly not the puck,, man are there plenty of below average ref’s in the NHL

58. NLhabsfan says:

Dump and chase dump and chase..all the Preds do.

59. slapshot777 says:

The four officials called it no goal. Well I can’t see how the other three saw it and the fourth moron called it a goal. he pointed to the net. I guess the new rule is you go the opposite of what they are doing.

60. Haberoooo13 says:

“As called by the 4 officials on the ice, no goal”
    Funny that the official 3 feet away called goal.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

61. savethepuck says:

@Mavid, you mentioned earlier Greg Millen, the former crappy goaltender. Reminded me of a sitcom 1999-2001 with Norm MacDonald called the Norm Show. His character was a former pro hockey player, someone told him he sucked, and his reply was ” I sucked compared to other professional hockey players”. Always thought that was funny.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

62. savethepuck says:

@Mavid, you mentioned earlier Greg Millen, the former crappy goaltender. Reminded me of a sitcom 1999-2001 with Norm MacDonald called the Norm Show. His character was a former products hockey player, someone told him he sucked, and his reply was ” I sucked compared to other professional hockey players”. Always thought that was funny.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

63. db says:

…ya. Thanks T.O. We’ll just score on the PP now.

64. Hobie Hansen says:

Predators announcers saying it should be a goal

65. tricolore says:

It’s a goal but smothered and hidden so not visible on camera, so they can’t prove it. Now I’ve seen everything.

66. danhabsfan says:

This ref is a liar. He said it was called no goal on the he ice, by the replay clearly shows he called it a goal. What is this bush league doing.

67. Un Canadien errant says:

The kids have the right idea. If the Preds can bulldoze Carey Price, then maybe we can get in Pekka Rinne’s blue paint once in while too.

Now if we could just buy off the officials like the Bruins do…

68. Propwash says:

F***… you could see that coming the way the night has been going.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

69. Da Hema says:

I thought the evidence to overrule an on-ice decision had to be conclusive?

70. Danno says:

That sucks.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

71. Saintpatrick33 says:

What did I tell ya

72. Strummer says:

we are the EGG line- wooo

they are the EGG line- woooo

Rinne flops like a walrus

Goo-Goo-Gajoob

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

73. T-roy West says:

The call on the play was a goal so the reply has to show that it didn’t go in clearly or the goal stands.

74. Saintpatrick33 says: