Liveblog: Game 79 – Canadiens blow 3-0 lead, win another wild one

BournCelebrate

Anothe night, another wacky win

The Canadiens skated off to a 3-0 lead on goals by Michäel Bournival, Max Pacioretty (his 39th) and Brian Gionta.

After 40 minutes, they were in cruise control.

Then, five minutes into the third period, Pavel Datsyuk scored on a Detroit power play to key a three-goal rally that included a goal by Luke Glendenning and another PP marker by Niklas Kronwall.

Gionta's second and a goal scored from the crease by Alex Galchenyuk made it 5-3, and the Canaduiens held on.

Crazy 20 minutes

Carey Price stopped the first 29 shots Detroit fired at him.

The next three went in: power-play goals by Pavel Datsyuk and Niklas Kronwall, sandwiched around the first of the season by Luke Glendenning.

It looked like an epic and costly collapse until 13 minutes into the period, when Brian Gionta's 17th restored the Canadiens' lead.

Alex Galchenyuk's 13th – scored when a Tomas Plekanec shot bounced off him past Jonas Gustavsson – sealed the deal.

Detroit outshot the Canadiens 37-26.

Max nears 40

Max Pacioretty took a pass from Mike Weaver and powered past Brian Lashoff to beat Jonas Gustavsson for his 39th of the season.

It was the Canadiens' first SoG of the period.

Brian Gionta, playing his 300th game as a Canadien, made it 3-0, converting a pass into the slot from Lars Eller.

Detroit outshot the home team 15-4, but Carey Price is very sharp.

Fourth line gets one

Michäel Bournival scored his seventh goal of the season – and first since mid-November – off a terrific rush by Ryan White.

The visitors had an early shot advantage but the Canadiens ended the period on the long end of 13-10.

The power play continues to fire blanks.

A little tighter, svp

Fearless Saturday night prediction:

Your Montreal Canadiens won't score seven unanswered goals against Detroit, a team that is infrequently mistaken for the Ottawa Senators ... despite Daniel F. Alfredsson being in the Red Wings lineup.

If the Canadiens light it up like they did Friday night in Kanata, Detroit coach Mike Babcock will perform the penance of walking on his knees from the Bell Centre to the Sherbrooke St. gates of his alma mater (and mine), McGill University.

Not to worry. Babcock's knees will survive the evening.

Whether the Canadiens can survive 40-plus shots-against from a team as talented as the Red Wings is another story.

Detroit, which is trying to secure a wild-card playoff spot, has won two of this season's three meetings, including 2-1 in OT on their Feb. 26 visit to the Bell Centre.

• P.K.'s latest commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSs4T6NfXQ

1,098 Comments

1. Coach K says:

That was no tripping penalty. He was already falling…no stick on skate whatsoever.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

2. Sportfan says:

Couldn’t the Jets punish Kane next match not against the Leafs?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. Adidess says:

Bogus penalty

4. Clay says:

BS call.

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

5. Black Horse says:

The Fiffen BS calls already starting.

6. Prop says:

Bull…sh**

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

7. UKRAINIANhab says:

Dirty hit?? R we watching the same game?

8. Habcouver says:

2-0 Dallas; 1-0 Laffs

9. Sportfan says:

There’s no way the Leafs are completely back in it, they’ll blow it

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

10. UKRAINIANhab says:

He fell……

11. UKRAINIANhab says:

Oh Cmon…

12. Adidess says:

I like the Subban-Tinordi pairing, hope it works well enough for use in the playoffs…

13. Prop says:

Alright…don’t call that, that’s cool.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

14. slapshot777 says:

WTF was that on Pacioretty

15. UKRAINIANhab says:

Gary Galley again. F^%#

16. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ceremony jinx wings 15 habs 0

That brought a tear to my eye.

18. RockinRey says:

Any live stream links? First row bites. Show the intros!!!!

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

19. JF says:

That ceremony pretty much guarantees we’re going to lose.

20. 123456 says:

couple hotties out there

21. dhenry1234 says:

Habs need to tighten up defensively tonight, but continue to score. Going to be a great win! 5-2 Habs

GO HABS GO

• slapshot777 says:

The Habs will buckle down tonight. Biggest problem last night was the Habs just did`t come to play for the first 5 minutes and probably took Ottawa a little for granted. Don`t see that happening tonight.

22. Black Horse says:

Jumpin Jeezus Tonight! Another ceremony .

23. johnnylarue says:

Ah, the classic Saturday Night Opening Ceremony Jinx from Hell.

5-0 Detroit. Book it.

24. jols says:

Another Olympic ceremony, wasn’t this done about a month ago?

• RockinRey says:

I was thinking the same thing!

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

25. Prop says:

Is that the same girl who fell while singing the anthems during a minor league game several years ago?

Also…wtf is with the lack of the Canadian anthem?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

26. jols says:

Go Habs Go!!!

27. Black Horse says:

Shutout tonight!

28. Habilis says:

Is CPL gonna be ready for the playoffs?

Subban is in the starting line up. Hang onto your hat gang.!!!

30. slapshot777 says:

Habs 4 Wings 2

31. slapshot777 says:

I thought that we might have seen Beaulieu tonight.

32. UKRAINIANhab says:

Habs 3 wings 2
    Vanek, Galchenyuk, Plekanec

Montreal win and a Toronto loss will be a liberating experience.
    The Toronto Nation gets to watch every Montreal game, even though the Toronto media will slant to our opposition!
    At least Hog town will see some great hockey for a change.!!

34. Habcouver says:

So, according to McLean and CBC, “Leafs are right back in it”.

35. Strummer says:

Are the Sens going with their jerseys with the Big Zero on the front like last night?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

36. UKRAINIANhab says:

Whats with Martin F, Daniel F, Chris F Lee

i dont get it!

37. piter says:

I thought that Parros blowing in Smiths ear last night during a face-off was hilarious. Anyone else catch it?

• slapshot777 says:

I did and Smith was smart enough to not bite, that was a fight he wasn’t going to win. Smith, watching him all last night was picking his spots. Once someone who was willing to take on his challenge he backed away like a slimy snake that he is.

• bender69 says:

I did-thought he was gonna kiss him hahaha

38. Prop says:

3-1 Islanders over Washington.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

39. piter says:

So I just seen on RDS that Budaj is taking shots in net. Is Price just out stretching? Or is Budaj starting?

40. PrimeTime says:

Nice comment by Elliot Friedman “Habs playing great hockey and all the media and fans talk about is PK’s ice time”. So true!!

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

41. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ok seriously, does anybody watch those lame cbc shows like coronation street, artic air etc. excluding Dragons den.

42. UKRAINIANhab says:

From a while back

“Datsyuk is a player who does not have much skill, but makes up for it with effort”
    – Glen Healy

Apparently Datsyuk has no skill!

43. BCG says:

If Beaulieu had the career thus far as Subban (at the same age) – would Beaulieu be signed already?

44. Cal says:

Book of Hab
    Chapter 14

And on that day
    The Prodigal Son returneth
    His hat filled with tricks and joy
    And the multitude called his name, for
    Their home had been invaded by
    The sons of Howe. And lo,
    Though the faithful were filled with despair
    There was No Panic in the land of Pontiac
    So sayeth the Book of Hab.

45. CJ says:

No Beaulieu tonight.

Markov Emelin
    PK Tinordi
    Weaver Frankie

46. Mark C says:

Anyone catch McCarron’s sweet goal last night? Also made a great play by blowing up Dickinson as Dickinson tried to steal the puck from Big Mac.

Kid has really turned things around.

47. krob1000 says:

Hope Habs wake up and put Briere on the 1st pp unit for a bit soon….
    He has 262 career powerplay points….to put that into perspective e has more POWERPLAY points than Dd and Chucky have any points In their careers
    DD has 162 career total points, Chucky has 57…Danny B is possibly teams best pp player IMO and never gets to show it.

48. Bugs says:

By the way, from now on, I will be referring to the top line as the “Poutine Line”. Surely sumpin better out there but if there is, I sure as shitake mushroom haven’t seen it.
    The poutine is Quebec’s moneymaker. They’re the moneymaker line, so it’s the “Poutine Line”. Deal with it.
    Also, put me down for one popped in by The Acquisition.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

49. HabsPooch says:

Mr. Boone is glad Datsyuk is in tonight. Like that helps us?

50. B says:

Nevins with his 5th of the playoffs, but BC wins it 5-2.

–Go Habs Go!–

51. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

This just in…Marty Short is funny. Love his hockey-theme credit card commercial. So hookey. Only in Canada, eh?
    ~~ You’ve been spun ~~

52. dhenry1234 says:

Seeing some posts from some people saying that this is the best they’ve seen the team in a very long time. Made me think, when was the last time you were this excited about your Canadiens at this time of the year?

For me, it was the 2007/2008 season. Carey Price was officially the Second Coming of Patrick Roy, Kovalev was flying down the wing reminding everyone of Lafleur, our Power Play was an unstoppable force, we actually BEAT New Jersey more than we lost to them that year, Carbo had an excellent staff of former Canadiens that could do no wrong, and our centennial season was right around the corner.

That season was filled with statistics that said “The last time *insert stat here* happened, the Canadiens had won the cup”. It really felt, to me, that that was the year we would walk away with it.

We’ve come a long way since then. Tons of ups, and tons of downs. I’m pretty happy with the direction that we’re moving in right now.

53. UKRAINIANhab says:

I need a Mike Weaver jersey. ..lol

54. HabsPooch says:

Doesn’t sound like Beaulieu is in tonight’s lineup?

55. Colombiahabs says:

Someone give Max his due. 4th in the league in goals wtf!!?? But hes not a true power forward??? He is just a lot better when hes got some help on his other wing like Cole or better Vanek.

Also on the goal scoring list… Jerome Iginla with 30, more goals than Marty Saint Louis, tied with Jamie Benn and up there in points with Toews but not even considered for an olympic spot. After all Jerome has done for team Canada, what a shame. I know he’s a Bruin guys but come on, this is a lock for the hall of fame.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

No way He should have been on the olympic team

• Colombiahabs says:

Didn’t say he should have been, just find it funny that he wasn’t even in the conversation. The guy is the best player to play in the last 15 years and everyone throws him under the bus after a bad playoffs with the Penguins last year (who all sucked) and he bounces back quietly, never says a word and puts up another 30 goal season on a first place team. Just saying…. Actually you are wrong he should have been on the team and should have been the captain!

56. habs001 says:

If you get suspended from work for a day or two but you know you are getting 60 million plus inheritence in 2 years do you really care..

57. UKRAINIANhab says:

To lazy to scroll down. Is nate playing?

58. CJ says:

Unconfirmed report indicates that Tim Bozon will be at the game tonight, accompanied by his father. I know he was in Montreal this week. I’d love this to be true!

59. B says:

BC up 3-1 over RN after 2, out shooting them 33-11. Grégoire and Hudon each with an assist

Edit: Sorry CJ, I didn’t see your post just below.

–Go Habs Go!–

60. CJ says:

Not sure if it was mentioned last night, but Big Mac continues his development with a goal and solid game against the Storm. In Baie Comeau, Hudon, Gregorie and Nevins all had solid games. Nevins and Gregorie were named the second and third star. They are back at it today, with Baie Comeau up 3-1. Looking at the schedule ahead, I’ll be going to game three, four and hopefully five for the Olympiques and Mooseheads when the series shifts to Gatineau. Anyone in the Ottawa area wishing to join send me a shout out.

61. B says:

As of this morning, Desharnais’ rankings among NHL centers:
    50th in TOI, 28th in points
    42nd in ES TOI, 26th in ES points
    35th in PP TOI, 32nd in PP points
    25th in +/-
    15th in shooting% leaders
    43rd in faceoff% leaders
    177th in hits

–Go Habs Go!–

62. habs-hampton says:

So when do the TV networks divvy up the 1st round matchups? Since the Habs are the only Canadian team, I’m sure that HNIC will want them, but pleeeaaasssee let TSN get them.

63. JohnInTruro says:

Hey Boone, any word on if Beaulieu is in tonight?

• CJ says:

No update on Beaulieu yet. Bourque returns, replacing Parrors. Price starts in goal.

• habitual says:

Can you say why he hasn’t been called up and stayed? Attitude?

• Harditya says:

That was pure speculation and I don’t buy that. I know Bergevin preaches character but his previous bosses in Chicago never demoted Patrick Kane for all the..debacles he had (punching cab driver).

• CJ says:

I’m not plugged in and really could offer an opinion only. Personally, I was impressed with his game preceding the Olympic break. I thought he was poised with the puck and made good reads. Much like any young man breaking into the league, so much of the success hinges on confidence. He is a fantastic skater. I think his game is a lot like Codi Ceci who we saw last night. IMO, he has a chance to be a fixture on the back end for years to come.

As to why he was sent down and not recalled, I’ll leave that to those more informed than myself. Lots of talk about attitude. As crazy as it sounds, I actually like the fact the kid has an edge. I hope he’s ready to back it up because the team is better with him over Frankie.

• Harditya says:

Well said. I prefer Tinner and Beaulieu over Murray and Franky Boo anyday, and hopefully that’s how it will be next season.

64. jon514 says:

Its been a long time… but with Vanek on-board… I’m starting to believe. This team will go deep.

65. CH Marshall says:

just reading the posts on the old thread, and agree with Old Bald Bird. It’s great that MT is coaching us to the playoffs. But sooner or later the organization will need to address what to do with Chucky. But I guess if DD continues playing this way, he’ll retire a Hab and Chucky will be kept where he is

• jamman says:

I pulled a Timo earlier raging on MT but you kno I take it back, I agree he’s doing a good job. We can’t give up on Chucky like the Bruins did on Seguin.

66. doogie says:

Tonight I am a member of the Winnipeg Jets fan club. Go Jets Go!

67. matrags says:

So let’s see if Habs are ready for playoffs. I hope they bring a better game than last nights.I hope the coach is not holding forth that game of pond hockey as being near anything exhibiting a team ready for the playoffs. They were lucky to get away with that one, but ottawa is not a playoff team.

• habs-hampton says:

Although both teams looked pretty bad last night, I think the ice conditions played a big paart in making it look like pond hockey. The ice was crap. I guess the ice-makers are held to the same standard as the officials.

68. AceTen says:

I’m not sure what’s been up with Boone and his ALN posts this season but I find them increasingly annoying. I used to be extremely excited and couldn’t wait for his post about the game. Now I can’t stand them, it’s nothing but negativity and nitpicking. I know he’s most likely just going for more comments but there comes a time when enough is enough.

I was at the game last night with my brother and my dad. I can honestly say it was the most entertaining game I have ever had the pleasure of seeing firsthand. I don’t care about shot totals or once again what PK did wrong. The team was down 3-0 5 minutes in and then proceeded to score 7 unanswered goals! The crowd was electric and we even sang the goodbye song to the Sens in their own barn. I will never forget it.

Why not talk about how Vanek is now a point a game player with the habs and a +7 with 51 shots after only 14 games? Or how Max could be our first 40 goal scorer since Vincent Damphousse did it back in the 93-94 season? Or how Max has 14 points in the 9 games since Vanek was moved to his line? I know he briefly touched on the success of the line but 90% of the post was negative.

We are likely the only Canadian team that will make the playoffs and are currently sitting 3rd in our conference. Tough to believe when most people had us barely slipping into the playoffs, if at all before the start of the season. Of course you would have no indication of this reading the ALN posts.

Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love this website and all the work Boone has put in over the years. It’s just a little disheartening when we have the best team going into the playoffs I have ever seen. Yes I know it’s sad but I wasn’t around to witness the glory days and was only 4 years old the last time we won the cup. I mean just imagine being in the position Edmonton or Toronto fans have been in for the last 5 years. It’s a time for Habs fans to be excited and we should be proud of the team we have.

• matrags says:

pond hockey can be very exciting but it is what it is,fun to watch for sure, but you won’t get away with that effort against a serious playoff team.

• That would be “excited” twice. Must be the damn autocorrect!

Go easy on Booner. I, like him, am a skeptic and don’t want to get too “excited” because we’ve been sooooo disappointed by the various teams over the last two decades and more.

Ace… I was around for the 60’s and 70’s and even the 80’s were entertaining, but it’s like going up to a girl at the bar… she’s pretty, delicate, smart and welcoming. You think; “hey, I might have a chance with this out of my usual range feminine creature”.

You have a few drinks, you start to touch hands and then you mutually decide to move to another venue, only thing is that she excuses herself, ostensibly to go to the women’s room. So you figure after a minute or so, you might go freshen yourself up to and as you’re walking into the men’s room, your princess is walking out… kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• AceTen says:

Thanks for catching that old school. Don’t get me wrong I like Booner too. Maybe it’s just me but the team has been playing some of it’s best hockey of the year recently. It’s far cry from last year when they limped into the playoffs, only to be eliminated in the first round.

I know it’s not always pretty but a W is a W and no matter how ugly, you still get the 2 points. That win last night was huge for the guys. Coming off a break in Florida with Budaj in the net and down 3-0 after 5 minutes, they still found a way to win. The team seems to be peaking at the perfect time and for once, we are healthy. It just seems the more the team wins, the more negative the posts keep getting. I just figured it would be the other way around.

• Mutt says:

Well said and go HABS!!!

• JUST ME says:

I agree with you. I just do not know what has become of the media in general around the Habs. You see, we criticize the other cities` medias for being homers .We just do not realise that it`s that way in every city. But in Montreal no member of the media should be seen as a fan. Forbidden to cheer on the pressbox. So what else is there to do ? If you cannot cheer then you go the negative way. In life positive news do not sell papers anyway, War , hatred, murders, death does…

What i fInd the most ridiculous about it is that those guys got to aim to become reporters because they loved sports and what team is by far the number one attraction in MTL ? So when they say that they are neutral i say BS.

They don`t even realise how they do not do their job properly. Honestly should we be dwelling on the P.K. non story or talking on how our first line is burning the league ?

• punkster says:

I’ll give this a go.

Boone doesn’t strike me as being of the same ilk as many media types who tend to falsely play up the positives of the home team. Unpalatable homers like many Broonz and Loaf writers tend to whitewash obvious flaws, and much of out national broadcaster comments are strictly Torontocentric in nature. Montreal is a different market and we like to think a more educated market when it comes to the game. Boone is a Canadiens fan and like many of us (hey, most of us really) is not afraid to point out which ditch he thinks the stink is coming from, and is just as willing to give kudos where they are due.

Plus he does love to flex that way he has with words.

Release the Subbang!!!

• jamman says:

I agree this is the best team we’ve had since Ive been a fan going into the playoffs.
      If the Oiler get Ekblad I will probably lose my mind.

69. Feraco says:

Good luck tonight boys!

70. Sportfan says:

7 unanswered Habs goals would be hilarious

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

71. CranbrookEd says:

Here is to a big night for PK and Mr. Price . . .

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

72. CJ says:

I’m back, baby! Rested and ready to go. That was a rough one friends….

73. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I’d like to thank the academy, and my parents, and of course my beautiful wife and kids…

74. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

The truth hurts sometimes. Good on you for speaking it.

~~ You’ve been spun ~~

75. jamman says:

Never said he was. My point is you can’t give up on young talent like that.

76. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

We know :)

~~ You’ve been spun ~~

77. Black Horse says:

U can just STFU!

78. nolts says:

They’re only 4 points back of the wings. 4 games to play

79. Clay says:

There is no question….don is the top.

__________________________

80. RockinRey says:

In fairness watching the Habs is not all Easter bunny’s , Santa Claus puffy clouds and tooth fairy’s. These guys can try your patience.

——————————————————————————————————
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

81. slapshot777 says:

So negative right away.

82. Clay says:

This team is still undefeated in regulation when leading after two, and you call it over. Get a grip, man.

__________________________

83. AliHaba says:

Geez, he does a good job. His only problem is that he thinks Guy Lafleur And Henri Richard shouldn’t have had their numbers retired. Other than that he is an asset to this site.

84. kempie says:

It’s the truth.

85. ProHabs says:

Really?? Do you not remember the Gomez years. This team might be better on the ice but no way are they as good in the dressing room as the Gomez teams were. Apparently Scotty was awesome in the room.