Liveblog: Game 76 – Canadiens top Panthers 4-1, W streak hits five

VanekFla

Stars shine

Carey Price made 36 saves and the Canadiens' top line scored all four goals in a win that stretched the streak to five.

Max Pacioretty raised his season total to a career-best 35 goals with a pair.

Thomas Vanek got his sixth as a Canadien and 27th over, and David Desharnais capped the game with an empty-netter.

The Canadiens had 11 first-period shots on Dan Ellis, only eight thereafter.

DD caps it

Carey Price was excellent in the third period, foiling any chance of a Florida comeback.

David Desharnais scored an empty-netter.

DD line on fire

Max Pacioretty's 35th was set up by David Desharnais and Thomas Vanek.

The line has produced all three goals tonight.

But Florida had a 12-5 shot advantage, and Brad Boyes picked the top corner on Carey Price's glove side to get the home team on the board.

It ain't over.

CH scores first ... again

For the eighth time in their last nine games, your Montreal Canadiens opened the scoring.

Thomas Vanek's 27th was his sixth in 12 games since joining the team at the trade deadline.

The Canadiens doubled their lead on an exquisite passing play from Daniel Brière to Alexi Emelin to Max Pacioretty for his 34th.

The period included an absurd fight between George Parros and Krys Barch.

Canadiens outshot the Panthers 11-10 and start the second period on a power play.

Fun in the sun?

While Montreal grapples with a winter that's stretched into spring, its beloved hockey team is on the road in the Sunshine State.

The Canadiens visit the Florida Panthers Saturday night, and there should be a good contingent of late-season snowbirds in the stands at the BB&T Center.

This is the fourth and final meeting of the teams this season, and Florida has won two of the first three – including a 4-1 romp in Sunrise on Dec. 29.

The Canadiens will be without Tomas Plekanec, who's back in Montreal because, rumour has it, his partner is having their second baby.

George Parros draws in - Woo-hoo! The Cup is ours!! – as does Douglas Murray, for Jarred Tinordi.

Mike Weaver, a great pick-up by general manager Marc Bergevin, will be facing his former teammates.

Puck drops at 7:10ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

And everyone has permission to keep checking the Leafs and Red Wings on HNIC.

1,278 Comments

1. CJ says:

Lazy penalty by Bourque.

2. UKRAINIANhab says:

I miss Pleky :(

3. habcertain says:

MT got himself a little sun and the bleached hair look, is he not taking this seriously

4. Seda Moss says:

Did anyone else laugh out loud when they said Scott Gomez?

5. UKRAINIANhab says:

Missing Plekanec Already………

6. CJ says:

Great PK. White and Bournival with lots of jump.

7. Adidess says:

PK on the PK!

Maybe MT wants to avoid confusion in language, by not playing PK when short-handed

8. Stuck_in_To. says:

Great block by Murray.

9. w.p.d says:

One of the best camera angles in the league

10. Hobie Hansen says:

Florida as the best cameras in the NHL

11. Samovich says:

Atmosphere of a High School Gym…

12. Habilis says:

Am I drunk or are the cameras too close to the ice?

13. Seda Moss says:

The Telus guide in BC shows CBC broadcasting the Habs game. But the Leafs are on. Eff you CBC and Telus.

14. Hobie Hansen says:

Just turned of the commentary on both CBC and RDS. Surround sound hockey with no yelling voices kicks ass!

15. Storman says:

Bob Cole almost did not make it to game in time,, he needed to catch another flight after first going to Bank of America Stadium Charlotte, North Carolina

16. habfan01 says:

Don’t they realize the color guard is supposed to at center ice?

17. UKRAINIANhab says:

The Egg line just is not what it was… Time to move on from the egg line..,,

18. Danno says:

With the Winter we’re having, I’m thinking Jack Frost is a Jackass

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

19. icemachine says:

Wow that organist is just horrible

20. TeflonDon says:

EGG line is back together? Probably won’t last and based on the last time they played together, they are much better off separated.

22. HabsKid says:

More Habs jerseys than Panthers.

23. TeflonDon says:

Anyone have a decent link for the game? Thx in advance

24. Strummer says:

Nice opening on HNIC and appropriate as Leafs “Naveed” a win
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

25. UKRAINIANhab says:

No Pleks tonight. If I recall the last time we were missing him we got beat. Winnipeg at Home last year I believe

26. UKRAINIANhab says:

My guy Mike Weaver.

27. Danno says:

Mike “the Dream” Weaver

I have just closed my eyes again
    Climbed aboard the Mike Weaver train
    Driver take away my worries of Murray
    And leave tomorrow behind

Mike Weaver, I believe you can get me through the night
    Mike Weaver, I believe Habs can reach the morning light….

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

28. Texus says:

A little Our Lady Peace on HNIC intro, nice :D

29. JohnInTruro says:

Ahhh yes OLP my favorite band, a good start.

30. hab1024 says:

I agree with Boone I don’t want too see advertising on sweaters

• ffenliv says:

I don’t want, today, to see Euro-style advertising on sweaters. If they did it slowly, though, adding it over time, I’m as certain as I ever feel that I Just wouldn’t care 20 years from now when they did look like ad-plastered European hockey sweaters.

With change like that, I think it’s really important to keep in mind just how easily people will adapt to gradual change.

• CJ says:

I’m not a fan either. However, is it not already there? The Nike swoosh, Reebok, CCM, Bauer, Warrior…

Also, to my knowledge we are one of the only sports (golf) who has an instrument (stick) that carries branding that is recognizable.

31. frontenac1 says:

Vas-y Les Boys!

32. Seda Moss says:

Memo to Glenn Healy: 17% fewer fights this year is not the same as fights per game dropping from 0.5 to 0.33.

33. db says:

Ha! If in doubt, Weave it out.

34. UKRAINIANhab says:

I like Healy tonight (throws up)

35. docketrocket says:

Sadly, I have to agree with the concerns raised below about Galchenyuk

He and Eller could still be great, but time is overdue to work on it instead of assuming it. Could be huge for our team to get one or both up to their potential.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Galchenyuk has yet to show us much

• ffenliv says:

Galchenyuk is what, 20, 21? And he’s a natural centre, one of the hardest positions to learn. If he’s still knocking in 30 points a season 2 years from now, the I’d be worried.

Eller’s time has come and gone for showing potential, at least with this team. For him, it’s time to accept that he’s shown what he’s shown, and will be used in light of that.

• CJ says:

Perspective, along with patience folks.

Chucky could have played in the WJC this season. Taking a look at every player selected in 2012, Yak aside, Chucky has more than twice as many points as any other forward drafted.

He has all the tools. He missed nearly a full season and was injured this year. I have every confidence that he will be a terrific player in this league for years to come. It will take time, but the results will follow.

36. Strummer says:

PK is quite the cliche-spewer at rink side. Why do they bother interviewing players?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Mike Boone says:

Couldn’t agree more. And it’s not much more enlightening after the game.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• Timo says:

That’s because the guy didn’t even bother to ask an actual question. PK should have gone Parros on that guy and asked him if he wanted a general comment or was there a question in sight?

• Storman says:

so FF true,, and the in between period interviews outside dressing room are so useless..specially with the weak questions and of course cliche answers..

• ffenliv says:

The media is all to blame. Not only are they the ones asking the dull questions, they’re also the ones who destroy players for ‘drawing outside the lines’ with answers.

If the media didn’t take interesting or insightful answers and make stories out of them (ex: having a coach call a goalie ‘ok’, then running to the goalie to tattle on the coach), we’d get a lot more from players.

37. UKRAINIANhab says:

k seriously is it true Plek has a new kid or is it like bad news….

38. icemachine says:

Anyone having trouble with CBC video not working in Chrome? Can only get it to work in Firefox.

39. WVHabsfan says:

This just in……….PJ Stock sucks….that is all

40. HabsKid says:

At the game. Can’t take it.

41. db says:

I almost hope the Leafs win tonight, just so they keep the hope alive… it’ll hurt that much more when it’s truly over.

42. Texus says:

Go Habs Go! Let’s hope we buck the trend tonight and actually get an entertaining game in Florida

43. hab1024 says:

Let’s go Habs

44. Strummer says:

So, Plek’s missus is having a baby, I guess he’s out due a “Lower Body” injury?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

45. lizard ranger says:

Man, am I ever looking forward to tonight ! Going to watch the Detroit game with my two best buds (drinking buddies), one a HUGE Leafs fan the other a HUGE Wings fan . Habs game playing on the side, case o’beer between my feet and my two “friends” tearing each other to shreds . Gonna be pretty sweet .

46. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Just got out of the Jays/Mets game at the Big O. I feel like I watched a ball game in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.

Wow, is the old stadium ever old, ugly, abandoned and decrepit.

47. habsfan0 says:

I wonder if Don Cherry will have a tear in his eye as the Laffs season comes to an ignominious conclusion.

48. Cal says:

Book of Habs
    Chapter 14

And so it came to pass that whilst
    The Boys of Summer toiled
    in the Springtime in their Blessed Home,
    Les Boys were in the midst of their sojourn in
    The Land of Keys away to the South.
    The roar of those panthers was heard;
    yet, a stoic price was paid to the weaver.

• Nice one!

What’s this from:

“And the Lord spake, saying, ‘First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.”

Don’t peek ’til you have a guess:

Let’s hope the Panthers, on this Saturday eve of hockey, shall snuff it. ;)

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

• Cal says:

My fave film of all time.
        T’aint but a scratch!
        I’ve seen the bloody thing so often I can speak the lines. It’s sad, I know, by Monty Pythonitis afflicts many Canadians.
        Remember: No one expects the Austrian Acquisition!

• I hear ya–speaking of which, it’s been too long since I watched it last. Have to find the DVD. =)

Defense wins championships

49. Danno says:

Hope the Habs can keep on rolling but I would also love to see the Red Wings shellack the Leafs tonight.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

50. on2ndthought says:

Eller’s big chance tonight. I hope Prust, Weiss and Moen heal quickly… any word? Expect a lot of Gio tonight, he should get a third to a half of Parros’s shifts.

“a cannonading drive”

• CJ says:

Based on previous reports Prust would be ready for the playoffs, and Weise was listed as 2-3 weeks, retroactive to Tuesday following the Bruins game. Moen was listed as out for the week, but concussions are the most difficult to gauge. He could be back by playoffs, or he could be done for the season, potentially longer.

I’m no doctor, but he looked rough as he was supported leaving the ice. I don’t know if we will see him again this season. My concern for Moen, or any other player with multiple concussions is the long term implications.

• on2ndthought says:

thanks, CJ. I hope Prust gets in a couple of games before the Tampa series.

“a cannonading drive”

• CJ says:

That would be ideal. He has proven he can pick up where he left off though. We need him as close to 100% as possible. We are a better team with him in the lineup. Weise has also proven to be effective and adds depth and options, if nothing else.

51. habs-hampton says:

All talk about the B’s being a lock for the cup?

Yeah, right, cause the Presidents Cup winner ALWAYS wins the Stanley Cup, right?? and there’s never any upsets???

52. Danno says:

Boston helped Detroit and Toronto :-( by beating Washington today

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

53. dabouz says:

How many points do we need to clinch?

54. WVHabsfan says:

@Just a Habs Fan. I couldn’t agree more about Chucky. Sad but true.

55. DipsyDoodler says:

John Terry …

Got drunk and made fun of some American tourists about 9/11. On 9/11. While the twin towers burned.

Had an affair with his teammate’s wife.

Has been accused more than once of making racist taunts on the pitch.

Parked his Bentley in a disabled spot.

Thrown out of a bar for urinating in a beer glass.

Plays for Chelsea.

Worst athlete in sports, and that includes every Bruin ever and Lance Armstrong.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

56. Maritime Ronn says:

Sholi will not like this.
    :-)

Vezina 3 finalists:
    Rask – Bishop – Varlamov

57. CJ says:

The Norris Trophy is awarded annually to the NHL’s top defence player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all around ability in the position.

By that very definition, McDonaugh is more deserving than Karlsson. There is a reason why Mike Greene didn’t win, despite having huge point totals.

My top five would be;

Suter, Weber, Doughty, Keith and McDonaugh

58. HabsPooch says:

Looking for Galchenyuk to get back on track. He’s been struggling for quite some time now.
    He has five points in his last 25 games and a minus 13.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

He looked good with Pleky and Gallagher. Was doing a lot of small things right.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Yes I agree on Gally 27…this is his second year now and if anything he hasn’t progressed at all. He doesn’t have the confidence to carry the puck in the NHL. On occasion he shows flairs for passing but in general he panics when he is in traffic. I wonder if he isn’t on track to be an Eller in a couple of years…great skater……but lacks just a bit in hockey talent. I know Habs fans are so hoping he develops into a great superstar player but I don’t see him as a superstar in the near future. I will be so happy if I am wrong on him.

59. We’re off to Hockey Party #3, unfortunately they are forced to watch the Leafs and Red Wings, as they have local MTS and not Bell. Hanging out with lots of Leaf and Jets fans tonight. I’ll be wearing my #27 red, over my #31 red tonight. I want #27 to lighterup and Eller to score one too!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

60. Mavid says:

In other news Darth Vader is running for president of Ukraine

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

61. Storman says:

Classic Danny and Dick 70’s hockey all day today on ESPN classic,, been on in the background all day Danny Gallivan was absolutely incredible,, canadiens blew a 4-0 lead to leafs in 79 quarterfinal game 4 only to break Leafs hearts and win 5-4 in overtime on a weak Tiger Williams high sticking penalty in OT, crap call by the refs in them days as well. Larry Robinson blast from the point in OT and then keeps Tiger from killing the ref..

Canadiens about to dispose of Bruins in 79 semifinal game 7 OT ESPN classic..Lafleur tied it up late in regulation ,, but what a lot of people forget is Lafleur blasted one an inch wide clearly beating Gilbert again,, after the tying goal with seconds left from 10feet out side the blueline

62. ABHabsfan says:

Ryan O’Reilly just got his 1st minor penalty of the season. What an amazing stretch, the guy isn’t exactly a floater

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

63. Mattyleg says:

Hey Booner,
    I believe that Plecky already has a kid.
    Didn’t he have one two seasons ago, right at the end of the summer/beginning of the season?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Here’s a great preview for tonight’s game.

BTW, I tried to follow the headmaster’s lead by staying away from the sauce but now that he’s fallen off the wagon, alas, so have I. I’m just starting my second Rusty Nail so it could be a long (or short?) night seeing that the puck drop is still two hours away.

65. TMan1969 says:

Jack FM had a nice little quote…Tim Horton played for the Leafs, well, at least his coffee is a winner…:D

66. Mr_MacDougall says:

Grrr, anybody know what station is airing tonight’s game?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

67. UKRAINIANhab says:

Habs 6
    Panthers 0

Gionta, Subban, Galchenyuk, Subban, Boullion, Vanek

68. Maritime Ronn says:

Habs are not coming home after Tampa, which would have been the norm in other years.

They will be hanging around in the southernTampa area – soaking up some Vitamin C, then go from Florida to Ottawa next Thursday instead of flying back to Montreal and getting distracted.

They will get good rest and practice time…and great team bonding without an extra trip and….

69. Mavid says:

Hockey..chips…leather couch..my kinda Saturday night GOHABSGO!!!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Storman says:

Hockey..chicks..Heather Locklear on my couch..my kinda Saturday night GOHABSGO!!! LOL

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Damn it! Haven’t had chips since Xmas (unofficial wife doesn’t want them in the house) now I’m on here while hungry.. May have to venture out and get som Old Dutch Creamy Dills and Doritos Sweet Chili Heat!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

70. DipsyDoodler says:

It’s looking like Chara will win the Norris (stupid reporters will vote for name recognition) and Boston the Cup.

Thankfully I studied Zen Buddhism after the last Boston win, and can now emotionally distance myself from earthly desires.

So go ahead Boston. Win the Cup. Win four in a row. I don’t care.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

71. Iginla scores #30, I wanted him as a Hab, but I guess he didn’t want to sign in Montreal. UFA this summer, but does he have anything left after this year? Can’t chance it.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

72. Habfun says:

Plecs not in so they have to play harder!!
    Go Habs!!

It’s all about the CH

73. Hugh Jass says:

Dammit, why does HIO always feed the mobile site when you’re on a desktop machine? Aggravating.

74. DipsyDoodler says:

Hey Mr Boone- good day for Liverpool.

—–