Liveblog: Game 75 – Canadiens win a wild one for fourth straight

TinordiDet

Road trip starts well

The Canadiens won at the Joe for the first time since 2008 – and it wasn't easy.

They opened the scoring, never trailed and prevailed 5-4.

But undermanned Detroit, fighting desperately for a playoff spot, made an exciting game of it.

Tomas Plekanec scored twice, reaching the 20-goal plateau for the sixth time in his career.

Each member of the Number 1 line scored: David Desharnais got his 14th, Max Pacioretty with his 33rd and Tomas Vanek his 26th.

Detroit got goals from Riley Sheahan, Johan Franzen and two from Tomas Tatar. They outshot the Canadiens 30-29.

Too much excitement

Fice third-period goals – three of them by Detroit

After Tomas Tatar's two early goals tied the game at 3-3, Max Pacioretty's 33rd of the season restored the Canadiens' lead.

Tomas Vanek's 26th made it 5-3 ... but the easy breathing lasted 25 seconds.

Johan Franzen scored to make it 5-4 and set up a wild final nine minutes.

DD scores big one

Riley Sheahan got Detroit back in the game with a goal 1:28 into the second period.

The Canadiens then failed to score during a 5-on-3, and momentum was swinging over to the home side.

But Thomas Vanek fed David Desharnais for his 14th of the season to restore a two-goal lead.

Detroit hit a goal post behind Carey Price late in the period and outshot the Canadiens 11-10.

The Canadiens have not lost in regulation this season when leading after two periods.

Pleks pots pair

Tomas Plekanec reached the 20-goal plateau for the sixth time in his career with two shots that beat Jimmy Howard.

P.K. Subban made sweet passes to draw assists on both goals.

Detroit outshot the Canadiens 9-8, and Carey Price made a fine save on Tomas Jurco.

Desperate Wings

Detroit has made the playoffs every season since 1989-'90.

That's a long streak – but it's in jeopardy.

The Red Wings are one of four Eastern Conference teams with 80 points (the others are Columbus, Washington and Toronto). They currently hold down the last wild-card spot.

The Red Wings also have two wins in their previous games against the Canadiens this season: 4-1 at the Joe Louis Arena on Jan. 24, 2-1 in OT at the Bell Centre on Feb. 26.

The winning goal in the latter game was scored by Gustav Nyquist, who has goals in Detroit's last six games. He's taking up the slack created by injuries to Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Justin Abdelkader, Dan Cleary, Mikael Samuelsson and Pavel Datsyuk.

The game is the first of four on the road for the Canadiens, who are 20-14-2 away from home this season.

Puck drops in the Motor City 7:10ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

1,103 Comments

1. Storman says:

Lost art of the sweep check,, about the only guy i see attempt it on a regular basis is Pleks on penalty kill situations.

2. danhabsfan says:

I thought Lars had the 5 hole

3. Marek says:

Just like that lars, shoot more, nevermind the fancy blind passes. simplify

4. Laramy87 says:

Fan of Tinordi, but id rather see Bealieu in the lineup if only one plays… Next year hopefully we see both with the likes of Boullion Murray gone

5. Storman says:

GM meetings will look at love taps to the pills in the off season , for now it is still a legal play

6. UKRAINIANhab says:

Does Boone see the penalties before commenting? Brutal

7. Captain aHab says:

The total man play for Pleks there would have been to spear him in the groin.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

8. Et le but says:

Great start…big kill here to keep the mo going

9. Strummer says:

Plex – shut down guy my ass!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

10. UKRAINIANhab says:

Soft call!

11. Marek says:

I like tinordi but it seems like he is a half step behind sometimes,

12. Storman says:

Nice play by Chucky as well opening up ice dragging his defender by, giving some time and space for pleky to shoot

13. ffenliv says:

I don’t know if NHL-level goalies ‘think’ much during a play, but I can imagine if they do Howard was wondering how much Subban’s shot from 18 feet was going to hurt if it hit him.

14. db says:

I wouldn’t even mind losing to Detroit… only to know the Leafs have an even harder time making the show.

15. UKRAINIANhab says:

PLEKEKKEKEMEKEPLEK!

16. Mavid says:

Lots of Habs fans in the motor city..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

17. Seda Moss says:

Hoooooowwwwwwaaaaaard.

18. RockinRey says:

I called Pleky too!!

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

19. Seda Moss says:

Sweet mother of Jebus! Pleky!

20. Habcouver says:

Plucky!!!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

21. UKRAINIANhab says:

PLLLLEKKKKY

22. Marek says:

4th line buzzing

23. AA - #25 says:

WOW! MT finally put the two scoring lines together I wanted to see for a long time now and the 3rd and 4th line looks pretty decent, if they can’t win with these lines the playoff picture is still not a guarantee.

24. db says:

So why do they boo PK in Detroit?

25. Captain aHab says:

So is Bertuzzi going to break anyone’s spine tonight?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

26. Captain aHab says:

Healthy set of lungs on that anthem singer…

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

27. Texus says:

Loll Mike Johnson squeezed in pretty tight between the benches

28. habtastic74 says:

So, I get that if 4 teams from each division makes the playoffs, it’s 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3. What I don’t know is what happens if 5 make it from one division. Anyone wanna know how that would work? Sorry, I’m sure this has been asked before.

29. jols says:

Go Habs Go!!!

30. habsfan0 says:

Why haven’t the Habs honoured former GM Sam Pollock in some way?
    The man was arguably the greatest GM in the history of the NHL.

• RockinRey says:

And only man to have his name associated with Grey Cup, World Series and Stanley Cup teams!!!

——————————————————————————————————
      You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

31. Texus says:

Really like Bournival’s attitude. Low key guy, works hard, not at all intimidated by the pressure of playing in mtl and gives his all every shift. Great stuff

32. RockinRey says:

Given the way that city has been gutted it is amazing people can afford to attend. I know a few yrs back they were offering $8 seats

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

33. JohnInTruro says:

Go Moose Go! Fucale!

34. RockinRey says:

Statement game for Habs

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

35. Hobie Hansen says:

First step, PQ lose election, second step, Expos come back!!!

36. UKRAINIANhab says:

Amazing how many people do not watch 1 college basketball game and yet all the sudden they start watching March Madness…

37. BJ says:

@dunboyne Mike, ran out of reply button below. How do I identify now? I don’t, I asked a silly question to myself. The question was who am I and when I looked, the was no one there. So for the sake of identity, lets say a diehard Habs fan.

Tricky, isn’t it?
      I go Montreal first, then Canada, then Ireland (parents were Irish immigrants, so only Irish blood. Accent now an awful hybrid — ask Burly or Lafleurguy!)

[Edit: meant to say Montreal/Quebec]

• BJ says:

My sister did some hunting re. our ancestors. Part of our gene pool came from England and married an Irish lady, it wasn’t looked upon favorably that a fair Irish catholic maiden would marry a protestant type. So the disavowed couple boarded a ship to Canada in the early 1800′s. Thats the fathers side, the mothers well after the horse thieves you don’t want to hear the rest…..

38. RockinRey says:

Think Stubbs will write one of his fluff pieces?

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

39. habsfan0 says:

The Habs always had trouble winning at the Detroit Olympia.
    The Joe Louis Arena hasn’t been much friendlier.

40. Habilis says:

Wings are gonna be desperate tonight. One more measuring stick game?

41. Habcouver says:

Damn it, I’m going to tear up with all this Expos history coverage.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

42. Hobie Hansen says:

Damn I wish the Expos were still in Montreal!

• Habcouver says:

Great minds huh, HH.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• DipsyDoodler says:

We need a billion dollar investment.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• habsfan0 says:

I remember being at Parc Jarry on August 22,1969 the day the Expos went over the 1 million fan in attendance mark during their 1st season in a double header vs the San Francisco Giants.
      Giants had runners on 2nd and third,nobody out,Willie Mays due up.
      The crowd was imploring Expos skipper Gene Mauch to walk Mays to get to..Willie McCovey.
      Mauch obliged them.
      1st pitch to McCovey..and the ball was in the swimming pool beyond the right field fence for a grand slam.
      Memories.

43. RockinRey says:

Worst trade by far!!!

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

44. Help! I’m stuck at work!!!! (parent-teacher interviews)

Who has the streaming site for the game?

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

45. Habfan10912 says:

Tonight is as good of a night for hockey fans as you could hope for. Bruins-Hawks. Kings-Pens. Habs-Wings. Just tremendous. Enjoy everyone!

46. jdstatman says:

Anyone interested to see what this Nick Sorkin kid can do in Hamilton?

47. maciekhockey says:

I dream about Stanley against detroit, now we are in same conference, just destroy them

48. DipsyDoodler says:

I’ve never heard a 24 year old pro referred to as a kid, except for Gary Carter but that was different of course.

Are Doughty and Pietrangelo kids?

At least he said kid not boy.

Jesus!
    —–
    Moving. Forward.

49. Habcouver says:

MB saying “you win and lose as a team” means the same as Fanoof saying “we’re going to get out of this together”.
    MB goes down to the dressing room after the 5-zip loss to Caps, and Dion declines interview after the Blues win.

Who is more convincing with his statement?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

50. Cal says:

A little shout out to ffenliv, who inspired tonight’s Main Ingredient!

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

…frilled = friklen

…have I mentioned lately that Apple spell check drives Me NUTZ ? :)

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…start with a psychiatrist Mike :)

…but seriously, when I watch a game I’m the Habs’ goalie :) …glad My Kids don’t video Me with arms and legs flailing, screaming at Pernell Karl to cover the frilled open man in the slot :)

…it started when I was I was knee high to Little Beaver as a 6 year old watching Gerry McNeil, Jacques Plante et al …and will be so until they plant Me in that big hockey net in the Sky :)

53. JUST ME says:

For a change this one is a statement game. Season is ending, we have to be up to the challenge for this one and send a message to all the other ones trying to crawl up the standings.

After the open house practice/skating session we got with the Sabres, the guys have to be at their best to get us 2 more points.
    Have a good game everyone ! Go Habs Go !

54. billylove says:

Saw the Wings beat Minny last weekend. 1st game at the rink in St. Paul. Nice place. Didn’t know many of the new faces but they played a solid game and Howard looked better than earlier in the year. Also thought that Smith looked vastly improved on D. Wings in desperate need of 2 pts so hope our boys are ready to roll at the outset. Keep your head up when Kronwall is on the ice!

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I wanted the Habs to draft Lucic as I knew him well here in BC with the Giants, and still would throw a party if he ever signed with Montreal …but, for the Life of Me, I am flummoxed Shanahan didn’t suspend him for the dangerous spear to Emelin’s balls, accidental or not

• BJ says:

I would love Lucic on the Habs. He’s a type of John Ferguson and from the same city.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

I do not want that goof in a habs uniform. The guy is a joke…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sorry Surrey and BJ, I’m with Ukrainian (although I wouldn’t say joke).
        I agree, great specimen, strong, fast, large and extremely competitive.

I just can’t get past the utter lack of class, his recent scrotum-spearing being only one in a long, long line of — for me– despicable acts.

• BJ says:

If he was wearing bleu, blanc et rouge we would find justification for his behaviour vs the “enemy”.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Who do we have that does that currently? Who recently? (Lapierre, Ribeiro). I like to win without recourse to that. Think of how reluctant Big Bird was to fight, and then only did so as a last resort (and with devastating effect).
            Nah! No Lucic for me! Keep going to the gym, Emelin!

• UKRAINIANhab says:

That says it all Dunboyne.

• Paz says:

I think it would surprise people to hear that Lucic is good friends with Gallagher and they train together in the offseason. He had no clue he would be able to score goals at the NHL level but he knew he could make it as a tough guy. Off the ice Lucic seems like a good guy actually.

Hey Paz.
            Been aware of the Gallagher friendship for a long time, but it never has the effect of diminishing my rants concerning Lucic! All of us live our lives in a variety of contexts and environments, each prompting or accommodating lsightly different versions of ourselves. In my opinion each one of us is only as good as whichever version of ourselves is the worst.
            No matter how good a gym-buddy, or young first-time father, or contributor to charity Lucic is, for me his on-ice behaviour reduces him to a barbaric, reckless and classless person.

• Paz says:

Mike, I hear you.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That Gally likes him always gives me pause.
            But only for a few seconds!

• ffenliv says:

Because I’ve been commenting on everything else you’ve said HiS, I’ll give this one a go.

Based on the video, I think the actual location of Lucic’s stick is the matter of some debate. For my part, I really couldn’t see if it was far enough in to hit anything other than arse.

Based on Emelin’s reaction, I’d say he definitely caught him in the boys. I mean, sure, players fake all the time. However, Emelin took forever to get off the ice at a crucial point in the game. I doubt he screws his team like that (Kovalev, anyone?) if he’s not really hurt, and I don’t think a shot anywhere other than the nards does that, in that area.

However, we’re talking about a league who won’t even let a goal stand if it’s OBVIOUSLY in the net, but inside a goalie’s glove and can’t be seen. So suspending when the video evidence isn’t totally clear … probably not going to happen.

Made for some good post-game discussion though, didn’t it?

• billylove says:

If Lucic put on the CH, the haters would turn into lovers after one period of his first game.

• ffenliv says:

I think it’s roughly the same with Marchand. I think there are small differences betwen Gallagher and ‘The Nose’. I think Marchand might have a bit of a dirty streak to him, but at the end of the day, I see them both as energetic pests with the ability to put up some points.

Of course, as I was discussing at length earlier with others, the emotional part of being a fan often takes hold, and for many, is a big part of the enjoyment.

It’s a great system, actually, you get to hate a guy with another jersey on, but love him as soon as he signs with your team. I wonder if that works in anywhere else in life?

No way!
          Can you ever see Gally punching a Daniel Sedin repeatedly in the face after the whistle? Or throwing a water-bottle on the ice to create a diversion/time delay so to change personnel?
          I’m trying hard to suppress bias, but I see Marchand as a complete putz and Gally not even in the neighbourhood.

• billylove says:

Great question. Something tells me it must apply, on some level, to women. When their on “our team” we love em. When they move to “someone else’s team” we hate em.

• UnkleGary says:

I think many would take Lucic with the CH, overlooking the balls harpooning and the Miller hit. I think taking off the Bs jersey and putting on the CH would class him up enough, and he is a monster player.
          But Marchand is completely different. He blatantly dives. He hits from behind. He submarines players, (like Salo last year). I don’t think Gallagher plays that way. He’s a pest, but I could never see him ending a players career. I think Marchand has proven in the past he would.
          I would be really disappointed to see Marchand in a Habs jersey.

CH-eers!

• slapshot777 says:

Sorry but you would be wrong. I got no problem with a tough player who plays hard and doesn’t back away with it gets tough. For me Lucic can’t take a hit, he is always complaining about someone doing something to him. He will only fight someone who he thinks he can handle.

I go back to when he backs down from Laracque. He knew that he could not win so why fight, same thing when he ran Miller in Buffalo. He calls Emelin a chicken. He should really take a look in the mirror. I don’t want that wearing a Habs jersey. I was embarrassed when Ribeiro use to pull that diving and pretend he was hurt crap.

Players like Lucic can stay with Boston The yellow on their Jersey fits him and his buddies just fine.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

Good points.
          Chara is similar. They both appear to sense some kind of entitlement to an exemption from being subjected to contact by other players. They get genuinely upset when anyone ignores this non-existent exemption, and in Chara’s case he loses focus and plays less well. I always think everyone who skates into the Boston end should give him a pop.

• ffenliv says:

This plays quite well into what I was saying. The reason we’re more opposed to Marchand is that his game is a lot more ‘on the edge’ – even over it at times. Gallagher, while in my eyes not as bad, is pretty close, and is at least as ‘on the edge’.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion. More polarizing behaviour is … more polarizing.

• Habcouver says:

HiS, I had also watch Lucic as a Giant. He was intimidating and effective back then, and if he was a Hab, would have been the second coming of John Ferguson. Unfortunately, he’s a fugly Boooin; he dissed Vancouver this summer, whether he regrets it or not. I tend to think his Hockey IQ far exceeds his normal IQ.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• I think that sort of behavior would be ironed out pretty quick if he defected. The culture here doesn’t breed or encourage it like Tea Town.

Defense wins championships

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

…it’s been quite awhile since We have had multiple games in a season vs the Red Wings

…I don’t often go into a game feeling negative …but I sense We usually do not match up well with Detroit’s style

…is it just Me ?

• ffenliv says:

I think we’ll actually match up quite well tonight. I think we have the edge in net – Howard’s year has been decent, and getting batter lately, but not what he has been in the past 1 or 2 seasons.

I think with all of Detroit’s injuries, and even the surge by some relative unknowns on their roster, we can go tow to tow on offense with them.

I do question our defense against their offense, but I think both teams will play a game with similar speed and physicality.

Guess we’ll find out for sure in about 5 hours.

57. UnkleGary says:

It was a pleasure talking old road hockey war stories with everyone on the last thread. I’ve lurked for years and recently started posting, it’s really fun to share with all you great posters.
    Let’s hope that tonight Nyquist is more NyQuil and that the DesVanChes line pots the winner in OT, cause ya know,,,,you know.

CH-eers!

• Mattyleg says:

Aww I missed road hockey war stories??

We made the best goalies out of a wooden pallette, garbage cans, and a goalie stick, and if you were able to knock any of it down with shots, you weren’t allowed to re-set it until the ball went ‘out of play’ (into the snow on the neighbours’ lawn).

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• UnkleGary says:

Ya some great stories from the last thread!
        I loved the rules that we make up as youths, such as the reconstruction of your goalies. Sometimes sports could morph into some other game without even talking about it. I remember we played this game at lunch in elementary school where it was soccer, with a tennis ball, full contact, with the gym door as the net. One net, your team scores you become defence. Great times, lots of small injuries!
        Enjoy the game tonight Matty!

CH-eers!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great posts, Unkle. Hope you keep it up. Nyquil — nice!

• UnkleGary says:

Tanks a million DM! Got to spend a fantastic year in Kilkenny, hope Ireland is treating you as well as it treated me, some of the best people on earth.

CH-eers!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

A HA! Kilkenny! So you know all about hurling! What year? (Actually, in Kilkenny, it doesn’t matter what year! It’s like the Habs in the 70s!)
          When you coming back?
          Cheers

• UnkleGary says:

Im at a friends watching the game but I would love to share some hurling stories! Go Habs Go!

CH-eers!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

On our street there was one big ignorant bollox who used to throw his weight around and seemed more interested in hurting people than playing hockey. We were all quite scared of him, but this one guy — recently arrived from California, believe it or not, used to hit him with a slapshot to the buttocks every time he turned around (the orange hockey ball — ouch!). He would say, “Sorry! Sorry!” every time, the guy always danced, blustered and threatened, but did nothing. 2 minutes later, same thing. 10-15 times. We laughed inside, not out loud.

Everything you need to know about tonight’s game.

59. Cal says:

And so it was that the Blessed Ste-Flanelle
    invaded the land of Pontiac,
    Seeking satisfaction from the sons of Howe.
    The Hockey Gods smiled down ‘pon them
    And a pox festered in the nest of the Wingéd Ones.
    At dawn, the Babcock crowed three times.

60. Habitant in Surrey says:

@ffenliv

…when I watch a game I will be emotionally involved …but not to the point where My rationality is hijacked

…anyone that allows Their rationality to be overcome by a sporting event has, in My opinion, deep emotional issues

• BJ says:

About the same for me. I enjoy the ritual of watching but I do not carry a loss very long.

• ffenliv says:

I suppose we might have different views on ‘hijacked’.

Take, for example, the recent Lucic/Emelin hit. I like to go back to this one, because it spawned a lot of these thoughts.

A lot of Habs fan rushed to its defense as a clean hit. A lot of Bs fans thought it was too low, and dirty.

Neither side seemed willing to admit that it might be a grey area. Was the hit a lot lower than most? Absolutely, that’s where the disagreement comes from.

Was it dirty, though? Who really knows. The video evidence was, to me, inconclusive. I think if he’s another 2 inches down, it’s definitely dirty. So all we’re talking about in the end is 2 inches, which should inspire people to realize that it’s not cut and dry.

However, everyone acted as thought it was. Emotionally, they needed it to be clean, so ‘rationally’, they made it that way, not allowing any seed of doubt.

To me, this is emotional ‘hijacking’. I personally try to avoid getting that way about hockey – or anything else, really, that’s not too important.

And, to reiterate, not judging either side. I’m just looking for some insight into how other people act/react emotionally during games.

• BJ says:

I enjoyed the hit and admired Emelin’s courage for going after the beast. Having said that Lucic is a human being and I was glad he wasn’t hurt.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“I’m just looking for some insight into how other people act/react emotionally during games.”

Me — very immaturely, by myself, 2am, stifling noise, but dancing, rude-gesturing (the hit you mention a case in point), expressing extraordinarily uncharitable and barbaric thoughts and wishes, celebrating as if I somehow contributed, grieving as if something much graver than a lost hockey game has happened.

Hab-in-Surrey, I believe you are right. Where do I turn?!

61. joewindsor habfan says:

Folks I love to sit and chat but I gotta go and watch our Habs in action. Going to throw my support behind the lads in section 128! I will catch up with the blogging later tonight.

62. ffenliv says:

Posted this in the last thread, and it got some interesting responses. Ego compels me to post it again, since that thread ended shortly after, to see if anyone else feels like chiming in. If you read it before, or hate me, or just don’t care because it’s not specific to this game, ignore!

A hockey question for everyone, but not related to this game:

During a game, you might get riled up at a call, and alter, perhaps after the game, realize it was probably the right call. But, even knowing that, you get all riled up next game too. Certainly this happens to me from time to time, and I imagine it does others.

So, the question: Is anger/hatred/insert emotion here a part of how you enjoy the game, or afterwards do you wish you could be more level-headed?

Not judging either side, just curious!

• stevieray says:

well Partner …Speaking for myself it usually relates directly to the consumption of Black Rum …..

• secretdragonfly says:

Hatred is too strong a word in my case but anger, definitely – and it just adds to my enjoyment of the game. It is offset by flashes of delirious joy when the boys either score or take out an opponent with a textbook *perfectly clean* hipcheck.

• Cal says:

When you are a “fan” of anything, it’s based on emotion. It gives all of us a collective cathartic release when “our” team reaches its goal, 1 check, pass, shot and goal at a time. When the team is doing the opposite (kinda like the Oilers and Sabres and, of course, the laffs), we feel “betrayed” and “let down” and so we react that way, often affecting the “sore loser” pose (even though we know it’s childish and a sporting event is completely out of the fan’s control).
      Watching hockey without emotion is when the Habs are eliminated and the only thing left is to cheer against rivals. We’ve been doing that for too long, but we are like Cub fans. Bleeping sick bleepers.

• ffenliv says:

For sure, fandom is based on emotion. I’d even say the basic essence of fandom is hope – a very strong emotion indeed.

I wasn’t suggesting we strip the emotion from the game. Never that!

I was just curious how other people experience and handle mid-game and post-game emotion, specifically as it relates to officiating.

• Cal says:

All refs should be drawn and quartered, but that’s another story. :)
          I don’t believe games are won or lost on one missed call or another that’s been penalized. I will certainly be pissed off about it, though. And, yes, I’ll remember the offending ref’s name.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Agreed, when we feel our emotions surge, then we feel part of it, part of a community.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Not answering this because no reply can equal johnny larue’s, previous thread!

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

…is there some form of remuneration for being first that I have been missing out on all these years ?

64. Maritime Ronn says:

Perhaps few would argue that Coach Babcock is among the elite coaches in the NHL.

That mentioned, he had some interesting observations concerning Subban in the past thread HIO video – and VERY many were Subban compliments, yet the following statements were interesting and may provoke more questions than answers:

And not to forget, some great Subban talent/character compliments PRIOR to these observations…
    ———————————

” ….He didn’t play much but he was a big part of the team.
    He probably took some things away about preparation – being composed – about execution and about understanding the game…about HOW managing the clock is…he’s learned a lot about those things.”

“Anytime you’re a high end player but you’re a KID, it takes you a while to get as good as you can….
    —————-

Just curious.
    – What was Coach MB saying when he mentioned about Subban, ” …Managing the clock?”

– Coach Babcock ( and Team Canada Management/Coaching staff) still consider Subban “A Kid”… yet the “Kid” will turn 25 years old in a little over 1 month, and already has 302 NHL games played including playoffs.

Age?
    Drew Doughty turns 25 in December.
    Pietrangelo turns 25 next January.
    Ryan McDonagh turns 25 in June
    Cam Fowler turns 23 in December
    Slava Voynov turns 25 next December
    …then the young 18-22 year old young gun troop coming such as Seth Jones, Maatta, Trouba, Lindholm, Reilly, Murray, Hedman, Gelinas, and about 20 others?

What does it all mean?
    Is it at all possible that Subban’s million dollar smile – his flamboyance – his ability to excite fans with an ‘entertainment’ rush (good or useless?)….is perceived more valuable than the hockey player he could possibly be when compared to others?

• The Dark Side says:

Or it’s a smart coach not providing any ammunition for the opposing team.
      The fact that they are asking questions about the other team is wrong. His reply should be “next question about my team”.

• Paz says:

Not sure what more Subban can do to earn respect?

He might get 60 points this year and there are still many, especially here, who doubt his contribution to the Habs success.

He had a rough stretch of about 15 games right before and right after the Olympics.

But anyone who thinks the Habs would be where tey are in the standings without Subban is ridiculously ignorant. And there are some here who believe that.

Babcock refers to him as a kid?

Babcock would also trade his left testicle for Subban to be dressed as a Wins dman tonight.

The “kid”, on a bad night, can still help a team win.

• stevieray says:

What I would like him to do is STOP turtling ….act like a man for god’s sake ….stand up for yourself every now and again . This may be what Babcock is referring to when he talks about understanding the game .

Hey Ronn.
      Glad the weather has improved.
      Meant to say to you, the poll you quoted about most over-rated player, according to players — it’s awful isn’t it? Where did it come from? (I’m not criticising you for posting it, btw. It was already out there, in public).

I don’t like Phaneuf and I think he is an extremely ordinary hockey-player with an unpleasant tendency to act Mr Tough with smaller players. But is there something in his personality or private life that means it’s good karma for him to be trashed publicly by his colleagues?

Also do you remember the Franco-something poster I refer to below? I seem to recall you and he exchanging views on summertime threads.

65. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if You’re early, I must be late

66. BJ says:

Number 6 Ralph Backstrom.

67. SmartDog says:

Haha I just noticed this. I love the call-to-action in the Liveblog box while waiting for the game to start:

“I’d like to receive promotional emails from Postmedia-Canada.com Network”

Genius. I mean, how can someone resist?
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

68. SmartDog says:

Am I early?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

69. johnnylarue says:

I’m enjoying the concept of a thread that is perpetually deleting itself due to posters repeatedly declining to be “first”, in a neighbourly, stereotypically Canadian gesture of fair play or altruism.

“No, no–I insist… Habcouver, you should really be first this time. You truly deserve it.”

70. Habcouver says:

… +1
    We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

71. stevieray says:

Dang !!!…second ..again !

72. Maritime Ronn says:

FIRST is usualy an accident
    Habs win 4-2

73. Habcouver says:

Hope you’re right!
    Break the Wings’ playoff streak.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!