Liveblog: Game 73 – Budaj brilliant, Galchenyuk’s Shootout goal beats Bruins

MarkovKrejci

Heroic

Your Montreal Canadiens lost 2/3 of their fourth line in the first period.

They took four penalties and blew a 1-0 lead in the third period.

But Peter Budaj was a wall in the Shootout.

And Alex Galcghenyuk beat Tuukka Rask to secure two unlikely and very valuable points.

Shootout decides it

The Shootout:

Bergeron: Easy save

Vanek: Easy save

Iginla: Save

DD: Save

Marchand: Save

Briere: Save

Krejci: Save

Galchenyuk: GOAL!

Parade to the box

The Canadiens took four third-period penalties, and it finally cost them.

Patrice Bergeron deflected Dougie Hamilton's point shot past Peter Budaj: Boston's 27th shot.

On to OT

Amazingly, no goals

The Canadiens wasted a 5-on-3 power play late in the period.

But they were better than in the first.

Peter Budaj made huge saves on Dougie Hamilton and Milan Lucic.

Mike Weaver hit the post on Tuukka Rask.

Boston had an 11-10 shot advantage.

Should be a great third period.

One goal, two losses

Alexei Emelin scored the only goal of the first period when his power-play point shot changed direction off the stick bl;ade of Chris Kelly and beat Tuukka Rask.

The Candiens lost 2/3 of their fourth line on one play:

After rugged Bruins defenceman shoved Dale Weise heavily into the boards, Travis Moen dropped 'em with Miller.

Bad idea.

Moen was knocked woozy and joined Weise in the Canadiens room.

Boston outshot the Canadiens 10-5, and Patrice Bergeron hit the post late in the period.

A biggie in Beantown

The calendar says it is spring, but you wouldn't know it by the frigid temperatures and snow accumulation in Montreal.

The one sure sign of spring, however, is an important hockey game between your Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins.

The Bs – a bona-fide Stanley Cup contender – will be riding a 12-game winning streak when the teams hook up Monday night at the TD Garden.

The Canadiens are pursuing a playoff spot and, ideally, home ice in the first round, which would be the reward for finishing runner-up to Boston in the Atlantic Division.

This is the fourth and final regular-season meeting between the teams. The Canadiens won the first two on goals by Max Pacioretty, but Boston was a 4-1 winner at the Bell Centre on March 12.

For reasons known only to Michel Therrien, the Canadiens' star goaltender will not be facing the NHL's hottest team.

2,014 Comments

1. piter says:

Good for Bournival.

2. Slackman says:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a grown man drinking Kool-Aid. Jus’ sayin’ is all.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

3. CJ says:

I don’t have statistics to back this comment up, but IMO, we seem to have had a very poor record this season when TSN broadcasts our games nationally. Losses to the Sens (4-1), the Kings (6-0) and Red Wings (4-1) come to mind.

A win against Boston tonight would remove any of the sting associated with the other losses.

Go Habs!

4. laGrandeTerreur says:

I defend the use of Budaj tonight. Put me on record.

5. krulmadden says:

I suspect Bruins to take early runs at Budaj to test the resilience of our d-men. So 2 fights in the first period. Afterwards it’s gonna be a a defensive minded game. 3-2 Habs in OT.

6. Dunboyne Mike says:

CJ @ 5.01 — Them’s fighting words!
    Storman — Archie Bunker!! You’re a beauty!
    Shiram (hours ago) — great piece on James Neal who I reckon belongs in the same company as Marchand, Torres and Cooke.

Long, long day, 14 hours out of the house. Going to pick my stream now and try not to wake up the entire village of Dunboyne.

Enjoy the game! We are privileged to support such a team and to be part of such a dynamic rivalry.

Question: what is realistically likely to happen if Lucic continues his softening up mission on Emelin?

7. jols says:

Go Habs Go!!!

Is it not time for the owner to fire the entire Edmonton management team? Enough is enough.

• Marc10 says:

Oh yeah. I’m the owner and they’re all gone. ‘No Excuses’ modo should have kicked in a long time ago over there.

I hope MB is circling the carcass and looking at picking up a decent forward who just needs a bit of Michel Therrien’s personal improvement methodology to get back on the right path. :-)

It is unbelievable Steve, I think perhaps the Mgmt is just representing the ownership of the team. Feel bad for the fans of that team.

@ Storm Man, your comment below was, and I quote:
    “Living in Burlington is worse the arm pit of Canada.”

I like Burlington, not too worried what others think of it but I’m guessing you don’t read moneysense, who just ranked it the top mid sized city in Canada in which to live. Don’t worry your comment didn’t change how much I value your posts.

10. hab1024 says:

Hello bruin fans

11. habsfan0 says:

I suspect PK will be hearing the boos tonight.

12. frontenac1 says:

Ok amigos!! Buck the Fruins! Vas-y Les Boys!!

13. Storman says:

Kids in the Hall sequel available in Edmonton

14. gumper says:

Just a couple of comments after having attended the Mon. T.O. game Sat. Really don’t like players who saunter back to the bench for a line change. Vanek is one. Gallagher looked ineffective most of the game. Really looks like he’s worn down from the beating he’s taken this year. Borque is really fast. Can cover the rink in a hurry when motivated. But, for a big guy he spends an inordinate amount of time on his butt. If the team plays tonight like they played against the Buds, they’ll get their lunch handed to them.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

15. Storman says:

Ron Reusch says when Montreal plays in Boston on a Monday night after i get smashed on the weekend after the Habs beat Toronto,,, Habs are undefeated.. Yah baby

16. CJ says:

Looks like Eller’s in, centring the fourth line, while Frankie is with PK. Weaver and Murray are together.

17. gumper says:

M. Boone. Comment 13 answers comment 2 n’est ce pas?

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

18. Storman says:

Randy Carlyle looking more and more like Archie Bunker in each leaf after loss interview

Aaron Ward is probably correct, I can see Weise being in scrap tonight. I can see a Gregory Campbell vs Weise tilt, hopefully no elbow pads or foreign objects will be allowed for the Bruin player tonight.

20. Danno says:

Need a king-size BRJ© tonight

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

21. bel33 says:

Apologies if this has been asked. Anyone have a good link to an RDS stream? Griffesportive has been shut down it seems.

So getting RDS back when they break out the channels individually. I’m French Canadian and I don’t even want all the channels that Bell has in their “French” package for $15 a month!!!

EDIT: Nevermind.. got of my lazy butt and looked it up, and it’s on TSN. I’m good. At least it’s not HNIC. Cheers all!

22. PeterD says:

Ahhhh….Spring in the Baja…sipping cerveza by the pool, BBQ for supper, Habs game on the satellite and not missing this Canadian winter at all….Priceless! (Just like the Habs tonight.

Enjoy amigos y amigas.

23. kerrgte says:

So Budaj in and Price out. Why ?

Here’s what I’m thinking.

1. MT has his sights on the playoffs and the team needs Price to be 100%. Tonite, Boston is going to crash the net and Budaj will get shaken up a bit. Better him than Price.

2. Without Gorges, the D isn’t so hot either right now.

So, I can see the logic. At this point, MT is likely thinking about the next 10 games, and this one is about the lowest probability for a win – so little upside in risking further injury to Price.

cheers

• Marc10 says:

Budaj usually plays well against Boston (and so does the team in front of him).

Price is still nursing that injury so if you’re going to play him, why not against guys who have no interest in crashing the net for no good reason (and would theoretically be an easier match up…)

• johnnylarue says:

As I opined earlier, I suspect we’ll win or lose this game based on our ability to score goals, rather than merely prevent them.

Barring letting in another soul-crushing stinker from centre-ice following the opening face-off, I don’t think Budaj puts us at a significant disadvantage tonight relative to Price.

The key will be getting to Rask.

• JF says:

Makes sense. He could also be thinking we need to win at least one of these two games (tonight and tomorrow). The easier game is tomorrow, so give that to Price; then if Budaj can win tonight, that’s a bonus. The team sometimes plays better defensively in front of him, and his record against the B’s is good, so it’s possible.

• Richard says:

- Agree that Budaj is hot at TD gardens
      - Agree they need to protect Price

My thoughts:
      MT can’t play Price both nights and risk worsening his injury. We don’t need to deny either Buffalo or Boston points, we just need to earn our own. Given how hot Boston is, there’s no guarantee we win with Price, but there is a risk we’ll lose against Buffalo with Budaj. I think he’s playing the odds: better a guaranteed 2 points than a shot at 4 with a chance of 0.

… Of course, now that I’ve said that we’ll lose tomorrow night.

24. habs001 says:

May be a slow paced game as Bruins first game back from a road trip…getting early goals could be the key….Now the playoffs are very unpredictable…..Most posters picked the Habs to beat Ottawa last year easily…The Habs still have a lot of problems…last 13 games Habs have won 3 games in regulation …..That tells me there will be a lot of games tied in the third that the Habs will play in the playoffs and good chance of o/t games…

25. Habilis says:

Over / Under for how long it takes the TSN crew to mention the Leafs after the puck drops tonight: 5 minutes.
    I say under.

26. Storman says:

Habs fans the smell of spring and Playoff hockey is in the air, tonight cant beat it,, Montreal vs Boston yah baby,, leafs fans the smell of spring and cow poop in the air..

27. Tomi says:

This is going to be ugly tonight. Really ugly for the Habs.

28. UKRAINIANhab says:

2 words

Mike Weaver!

The guy is a rock! (Now do not screw up tonight Mike, or else you will make me look bad)

29. Tomi says:

Habs will lose and lose in every aspect of the game. Boston’s goons will have a field day so on top of the humiliation on the scoreboard, Habs will also get beat up pretty badly. Just a feeling I have based on the fact that players better suited for tonight’s game are not playing.

30. bwoar says:

Who gets angrier, Storm Man or Strom Man?

Bonus question: Which one is knows their hockey better than the other?

31. zephyr says:

I have a difference of opinion w.r.t. murray with some posters on here. I like his size & strength much the same way I liked hal gill except murray has a tougher edge to him. you just can’t have 6 subbans out there. murray wins his battles & clears the zone sometimes just by brute force. he plays a good positional game because he has to. I don’t like midget combos such as bouillon & weaver even tho weaver plays bigger than he is. they have trouble every time in the tough areas. I’d rather see tinordi with weaver & keep tinordi from trying to do too much. offense from our back line is going to come from subban & markov & they’re going to play over 80% of the game anyway. the other guys just have to play smart defense & avoid risk that leads to mistakes.
    mt has been trying to find a reliable partner for subban for some time now & hasn’t found one yet. maybe one of the prospects can do it next yr..
    I wish mt would stop the defensive shell strategy. it almost never works. why not just keep skating like the wind & put forechecking pressure on the other team? I’d like to know why our forwards get cross-checked in front of the other net even when the puck isn’t close & yet our dmen almost never reciprocate. I’d like to know why other teams hit our dmen often & we don’t do the same. it’s no secret in football that pressuring the qb leads to turnovers. how can we have such team speed & not use it to create pressure? we got no pass rush! I also don’t understand why a backchecking fwd doesn’t pressure the man with the puck. instead we allow him to gain our zone easily & start the pinball game of predictably shooting the puck around the boards where our smaller dmen get hammered (& some even smaller fwds) & we get scored on. if it wasn’t for price, we’d have lost to the leafs sat. nite because we played so stupidly. it’s 70 games in & still we haven’t gotten that right yet. that’s coaching. smart coaches change the strategy to suit their players & not shoehorn them into playing where we’re weak.
    I’d really love to hear from mt what his thoughts are because it’s often frustrating to watch our guys play even when we win.

32. PrimeTime says:

Professional fans vs Professional NHL Coach??? Hmmm….

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

33. Strom Man says:

That freaking idiot Therrien….sitting Price, playing Budaj.
    No common sense, no Hockey IQ. Has never won anything at any Pro level.

He Makes Me So ANGRY!!!! I want to SCREAM!!!!!!!

• PrimeTime says:

What have you won?

• smiler2729 says:

Did ever occur to you, as many have stated here, Price is probably not physically up to it?

Therrien ain’t stupid… but if you’d rather troll, keep venting!

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

If it is going to make you scream maybe you should watch a different sport. Baseball would be a good start. Heck, you can complain about when they do not start there starting pitcher routinely.

• PrimeTime says:

Nevermind….just noticed the parody account. Keep up the fine work!!!

34. Thomas Le Fan says:

I agree that Price must not be 100% or he’d be in.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

35. RockinRey says:

I hope the Habs get off to a fast start. The enivitable 2nd period let down necessitates getting off to a good start for Budaj.

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

36. OH WOW I just heard this out of Boston.

and then they went on to say

as I hung up the phone I called Carey’s dad to see if it was

in the end there’s no way this could be true, right?

Go Habs Go

Canadiens 6
    Bruins 5
    :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

37. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t know but could it be that they are playing Murray with PK for protection? PK always gets run at in Boston…

Considering that both teams are pretty much a lock for the playoffs, I have a feeling that the game might get out of hand. Hope not…

• ffenliv says:

Or, to take the opposite view of ‘lock for the playoffs’: perhaps neither team wants to risk a suspension, and the game stays nicely in hand?

38. Mr_MacDougall says:

My take on not starting Price..

Despite being close to 100% Price is susceptible to becoming injured again, the way Boston crashes the net paired with Price’s aggressive style there is a fear of injury. Since he was only going to be playing one of the two, he will be playing the less risky game.

That’s the way I sees it.
    ~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

39. RockinRey says:

RE the Poll

Who do I think would win Boston or Montreal in a playoff series?Heart always says Habs . Reality is Boston. Montreal always gives them a good fight but to say because the CH have owned them in recent years that they would automatically win is pure folly.

Even with Price in it is a pick ‘em in nets.

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• bwoar says:

So… Boston would automatically win? I’m pretty sure that’s not how you mean it.

I think Boston has a net advantage, but I wouldn’t presume to pick a winner in a 7 game series between those teams. Too unpredictable.

• RockinRey says:

They always give them a go. Because the Habs have given them a go in the regular season they would automatically win? Boston would have to be the favorite. I agree with unpredictableness of series. If Price is on his game the Habs are in pretty good shape.

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

“Reality is Boston”? Really? Really??? In real reality, Montreal almost always plays well against Boston and there is always a decent chance of beating them. 861 unbelievers? Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• RockinRey says:

Does that guarantee a win Thomas? No way. I hope so but a few factors have to come together. Not the least of which scoring. And Price has to play better than he has proven to at this point in his career in playoffs. Boston would be the favorite.

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

40. PrimeTime says:

Posters not agreeing with MT?? Wow……shocking news. I bet anyone of you geniuses he has won more NHL games as a coach than all of you combined. In fact I will take all bets! It’s called balancing out your depth in preparation for the playoffs.

********************************************************

• I’ve won over five thousand NHL94 games, those are NHL games so I win….pay up! :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• RockinRey says:

Never heard of the expression balancing out your depth. And yes I could coach better than MT and in my prime I was better than Price.

——————————————————————————————————
      You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Slackman says:

LOL I guess that’s why they retired your number right? Too bad you’re not in your prime anymore, eh? If you were you could call up the Habs and say, “Hey MB, MT, Guys, I’m better than Price! Lets go get’er. Yeah! Bring on ANYBODY.”

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

• RockinRey says:

At least you have a sense of humour.

——————————————————————————————————
          You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’ve lost fewer playoff series than Therrien.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Odie24 says:

Balancing out your depth?? Get over yourself.

• CJ says:

Hi Primetime. Please excuse my ignorance but I’m not familiar with the term balancing out your depth. I’m guessing, but in this context it means that you rotate the extra’s (7/8) defencemen?

I believe there is room to critique decisions, respectfully. I know your post wasn’t directed at me, but I have never called Therien, Bergevin or anyone else an idiot. I might not agree with the choices, but I respect the fact that they are the decision makers and I defer to their knowledge. I do agree that there are many occasions when folks are very direct in their opinions, but fans are fanatics and stuff is said when emotions run high.

At the end of the day, whether I agree with the decisions or direction, I always cheer on the team when the puck drops. A win is a win and I care entirely about the crest on the front more so than the name on the back.

In summary, I’m sharing because we seemed to have formed a divide. Either you agree with the decisions and hold blind faith or are ignorant, or you disagree and you are a constant complainer, or know more than the coach. This seems to be the prevailing belief. Humbly, I believe there is room for all opinions, provided they are respectful.

Just my two cents….

• PrimeTime says:

CJ. I like respect your posts and agree with most. Mine was directed at the whiners who whine any decision made by MT. Same old crumpy fans day in day out. Balancing out depth is finding out what you have in given game situations to use for future decisions i.e. Resource (roster) management.

• CJ says:

Thank you for the reply Primetime.

I do agree, some folks are entirely one dimensional in their commentary. Kinda detracts from their point as their argument is consumed by the fact that it’s an extension of their regular complaining. Sometimes valid points are lost in this vacuum.

I did not take your comment to heart and used it, perhaps unfairly, as the catalyst to bring forward a suggestion for the commentariat’s consideration. No hard feelings here. I enjoy your posts and look forward to continuing discussions going forward.

Lastly, I appreciate you taking the time to explain the process of balancing depth. Makes sense. Cheers, CJ

41. rhino514 says:

So here´s my feeling:
    If Prust is relatively healthy for the playoffs, and we are pretty healthy otherwise, I really believe we will beat the bolts, home ice advantage or not. Yes, I do believe he is a key player for us.
    And if what I said holds true for the second round, I think we can win the second round as well.
    All depends on health.

42. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I always like it better when they play in Boston. It is so much better when they win there.

43. http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/03/24/april_reimer_wife_of_maple_leaf_james_reimer_attacked_on_twitter.html

Not impressed with people sometimes.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Weeds and Bears games have been too boring and polite lately

• CJ says:

I don’t know if it’s a fact, but it was reported by multiple sources that Tinordi is out and Weaver is in. I’m still holding out hope that there are changes.

I hated that we had no response for Lucic who was targeting Emelin last game. I’m not suggesting that Tinordi is going to address this directly, but he is more than capable of dishing out punishment himself. I can’t wait for the day when Montreal is the aggressor and we are the ones dishing it out. I think Crisp, Tinordi, Thrower, etc. have a chance to turn this around.

• Mr. Biter says:

CJ I agree. Parros and White should be playing tonight and even if it’s only for short minutes (for Parros) being in the lineup is a deterrent to the Bruins. If we get a few goals ahead I fear the worst.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• CJ says:

Sorry Habitant, replied to your post instead of Hobie below. Sorry for the mix up gentlemen. Cheers, CJ

45. Hobie Hansen says:

Is it a fact Tinordi isn’t playing tonight? I saw John Bartlett post the lines at the morning skate and the six dmen were: Subban, Markov, Emelin, Murray, Bouillon and Tinordi?

46. Jonson says:

Best Goalie in the world………right??? can win olympic gold……. but lets go with budaj tonight against the top in team in the NHL and our biggest rivalry…… MT what are you sheltering him from ???

47. adamkennelly says:

only reason Price would not play this game is because he is not 100% – period.

also – must be tough for a coach to have to pick crap 4 D-men to play out of a total pool of 5 crap D-men.

regardless – Tinordi should play – he needs to develop some confidence and his size helps vs. Bruins.

48. rhino514 says:

The defence situation is indeed mystifying. Beaulieu was not the weakest link when he was playing and gave us a second skating threat from the blueline.
    Tinordi, I guess I´m subjective here, but I´ve noticed him quite a bit making good plays; he only made one obvious gaffe, but he´s ten times more mobile than Murray, and he also happens to be big. He also looks like he´s really mobile for a big guy.
    I can understand it if there are maturity issues with Beaulieu, or if the habs need a big Dman more urgently than another offensive Dman…but playing neither of them?
    Tinordi may make an occasional gaffe, but almost every time Murray is on the ice, the team gets hemmed in their own zone. Sure, he´s getting blocked shots because there´s a ton of shots being directed at the net. Seemed to me this happened less often when tiny was on the ice. I actually think he was playing really well; really, REALLY well for a bottom pairing guy.

49. Davey93 says:

Tinordi should be in tonight instead of Cube. Let the kid play!!

50. byebyegomez says:

Hope Chucky plays in a way where MT has to play him in the top 6

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ron Reusch’s blog site http://thereuschblog.com/ has a Bulldog’s section

…I have long suggested to Stu Cowen that is the one thing missing on HIO …a Bulldogs’ Report

• HabFab says:

Ron is definitely one of the best… glad to see him still active.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…what’s Ron doing professionally these days ?

…he had a good ‘voice’ for television, if not the most pretty face

…is he still in television and radio ?

…he still seems to have a press pass to the Bell Centre

• HabFab says:

According to Wiki, retired in 2006 after almost 50 years. Works part time doing radio shows and has the sports blog from other sources. Expect his blog, like HIO’s gets him the pass.

52. L Elle says:

No reason to get upset, if the past is any indication, Habs are expected to lose tonight, so they’ll win. Expected to win tomorrow, and will. ;)

53. Habilis says:

Habs vs Bruins tonight with 10 games left. The game is on TSN. The B’s have won 12 in a row and the Habs are Canada’s best team right now. So what’s the top story on http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ right now? A piece on how Bernier may or may not play TOMORROW!

Amazing.

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Therrien may have been told that Price still is a little tender from previous knack received during the Olympics

…this will be a good test and opportunity for Budaj to assure Therrien He can have confidence Budaj can step-in for Carey in the playoffs if something goes south

55. adadi says:

If memory serves the Budaj did not have a great outing last time out against the Bs. Hope Price is not still injured. But likely another of MT’s brain cramps.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

of course Price is still (at least somewhat) injured

• Mr. Biter says:

Habs did the right thing by not playing Price when he was injured and though it made for interesting reading on this site and a short drop in the standings Price is probably at about 90% or higher.
        Laffs Let Bernier play against Kings with a groin injury and instead of playing Reimer and resting Bernier for a couple of games. Bernier wanted to play against the Kings and Carlyle let him play (knowing he was injured) and he pulled or tore his groin during the 1st period and the rest is history where it’s to the point he may not play again this year or the Laffs can rush him back and see him get hurt again.
        Habs management /Coach’s 1 Laffs management/coach’s 0.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

56. montreal ace says:

It is very evident that MT is coaching for a playoff berth, which to me is a good thing. We all know the Habs make money during the playoffs, but what about the city and the workers that are involved in the hospitality trade. Money makes the world go round and the playoffs help

57. CJ says:

I hope Murray rubs Lucic the wrong way. I hope that Galley gets in Rask’s face and causes him to lose his cool. I hope Max and Vanek bury their chances on the PP, while Subban stings Marchand with one of his ass checks. I hope Budaj is solid, if not spectacular and Montreal rolls out with two points and an injection of confidence.

Remember Boys, don’t fire until you see the whites of Rask’s eyes. Go Habs!

58. Paz says:

Think Julien might go backup goalie as well.

59. rhino514 says:

Dumb to not have Price in today; Budaj could have easilt started tomorrow. MT thinks the team plays tighter in front of the backups, which is true to some extent, but this team can make mincemeat out o a backup goaltender.

60. So what is the rationale behind Boods tonight? I like him. He isn’t as consistent… I was going to say as Price, but he isn’t consistent either (easy now Price boosters! Just look at his goals against and yes, we can blame the defense but Boods isn’t bad) or as bad as some folks on HIO would have you believe…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

61. knob says:

Am I the only one that thinks JVR should get supplementary discipline for cross checking Price in the head as he was crashing the net on Saturday night?

62. Mats Naslund says:

Bruins could be an opponent at some point in the playoffs – with Price still getting back to shape maybe MT figures its best not to let them get in his head. If Price needs a couple days to heal – better to do that now than to bring bumps and bruises into the playoffs.

63. Cal says:

And thus it was
    That on the 24th day of the 3rd month
    only 9 months shy of the Eve of Christmas
    And with Spring nowhere in sight
    That the Blessed Ste-Flanelle ventured into the lair of
    The Beast.
    And lo, though it was said to be “just another sweater”,
    The Beast did quake at its sight and
    Rask did venture out of his Blue Paint
    Only to be slugged by the
    Arm of the Almighty (Gallagher).
    Amen.

64. CH Marshall says:

I like Buda, but shouldn’t we be playing our numbers 1 vs the B’s?

65. Sportfan says:

Leafs may not make it to the PLAYOFFS?!?!?!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

66. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Guess MT really wants to ensure we get the two points in Buffalo and figures if we eek out a point or two tonight, it’s a bonus….

An up-to-date Boston/Montreal preview.

68. smiley says:

I think we have a chance tonight. Boston is back home after a long road trip. They can’t win every game can they? Still wish if was Price tonight and Budaj tomorrow night.

69. Danno says:

The Bruins’ 12-game winning streak must come to a screeching halt tonight.

OK boys!

Bash Those Bruins!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

70. Tseth says:

I posted this on the other page, but if anyone wants to drink beer and watch the Habs in Calgary. Broken City will have the sound on.

71. Sportfan says:

Ugly arena lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

72. knob says:

That building looks like a warehouse.

73. Chrisadiens says:

1st?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

74. shiram says:

Markov-Emelin
    Murray-Subban
    Bouillon-Weaver

I’m guessing Koo-Laid and flow is happening on a different website…

76. johnnylarue says:

…which should probably be blocked on the daycare computers…

77. PrimeTime says:

Pot calling the kettle black?

78. DipsyDoodler says:

Can we have a bedtime story?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

79. UKRAINIANhab says:

Leave! Your just embarrassing yourself more.

80. Dunboyne Mike says:

Phew, for a second there it sure looked like you were making a gross and uninformed generalisation! Glad that’s cleared up now and you were only talking about a couple of people. All good now.

81. frontenac1 says:

Just kidding amigo! Had a great time there.

82. PrimeTime says:

Zzzzz

83. frontenac1 says:

Two years ago during the lockout. For Vityaz in the KHL. He did ok.

84. RockinRey says:

He was beaten

85. HabinSquamish says:

You mean not a shot on goal.

86. Storman says:

It was just a goof up, he apologized instantly..

87. RockinRey says:

Are you for real?

88. HabinSquamish says:

Yes, brutal…

89. mcLovin says:

Yes. Then went on to complain about how small and scared the habs are. Then he wet himself when Vanek played with a broken stick for a second.

90. EricInStL says:

what I meant was that Boston will not try to win but go and take him out. And thanks in confirming my genius.

91. HabinSquamish says:

Love it!!!

92. PrimeTime says:

Chill

93. twilighthours says:

Why.

94. RockinRey says:

Nope he isn’t

95. Slackman says:

Pang’s a smart guy. Go to bed

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

96. Whoa doggie! Half of the first and beginning of the second, we were getting creamed, but we weathered it and pushed back and I thought I was the pessimist…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

97. PrimeTime says:

Back on the bottle?

98. RockinRey says:

In fairness the bench was shortened. And they cant compete with size. Thats the way a 7 game series will be . Habs may really get worn down.

99. Slackman says:

all I hear is wahhhhh wahhhhh. It must be hard being clairvoyant.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

100. piter says:

They’re doing pretty well with rolling 3 lines…

101. RockinRey says:

Reflector is a troll

102. RockinRey says:

You know! Malware

103. RockinRey says:

Reflector is Malware

104. frontenac1 says:

I never left it amigo.

105. Mondou6 says:

Let’s not forget that we lost those 2 players due to goonery, not random luck. This is what Boston/Toronto/Ottawa does against us, and it works.

106. Danno says:

More than 1,000 comments

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

107. twilighthours says:

(Unless you’re into that)

Mods! Over here!

108. habs-fan-84 says:

Isn’t the depth nice these days

109. RockinRey says:

Move along Malware

110. HabinSquamish says:

We can’t win that battle.

111. PrimeTime says:

Try living in the present

112. habfan01 says:

2 thumbs up

113. PrimeTime says:

Tip: Sinutab is great for hangovers.

114. danp says:

The one who Julien buys dinner for…

115. RockinRey says:

Weaver huge too

116. Mattyleg says:

No back down with DM.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

117. LeGrosBill says:

Don’t forget Ned

118. Storman says:

I hate to sate hate, but i dis like him big time as well,, so many better options, he is to slow and too small and makes dumb decisions

119. PrimeTime says:

Bye again!

120. twilighthours says:

You’re wiser…. Now?

121. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Again, Timmy, thanks for just being you.

122. gumper says:

Band of brothers like that drunken brawling family down the street that everybody knows it’s best to avoid.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

123. habitual says:

Yeah, the B’s are a band of A holes. And they lost, despite the refs trying to give them the game.

124. olematelot says:

Look to the refs haha, they took everything the goons handed out, never backed down and won the game. Maybe you should order a Bruins sweater right away.

125. HabinSquamish says:

Band of brothers from Kentucky…we’re done messing with our sister, lets go for the black guy from Montreal…

126. Dunboyne Mike says:

Nope.
    You’re right — great package. But his utter lack of class means I would hate to see him in la flanelle.

127. laGrandeTerreur says:

ah, you are here.

128. Mattyleg says:

Why do you still have that quote as your sig?
    I thought you didn’t mind if people disagreed with you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

129. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Thanks for commenting, Tim.

130. laGrandeTerreur says:

My internet sucks apparently, and posts only show up a fraction of the time. I can’t fiddle with that during the game. After all, the game is more important than the typed ranting and raving, is it not?

131. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Noted, Tim.

132. Mattyleg says:

Don’t shush me.
    I’m just asking a simple question.
    If you don’t have an answer, that’s fine too, just say that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

133. twilighthours says:

He’s got a point, though

134. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Noted, Tim. Thanks again for contributing.

135. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

You’re the man, Tim. Keep fighting the good fight.

136. Chris says:

Holy crap. We just jumped the shark.

137. laGrandeTerreur says:

You are a real loser. Seriously, is your wife taking the neighbor’s dick or something?

138. twilighthours says:

Dude what is your deal?

139. Adidess says:

What is wrong with you? How can you think this is acceptable discourse in a public forum? Mods, get this guy out of here please!

140. Chris says:

Unnecessary and, ultimately, ineffective.

141. Adidess says:

I am not too impressed with you either, Storm Man. This act is getting old.

142. Chris says:

More of a shtick.

143. PrimeTime says:

What were thoughts again earlier today about Budaj playing and MT brain cramps ? You were pretty quiet tonight…..oh ya Habs won. Sorry it didn’t allow you to feel like joining the blog

144. PrimeTime says:

Zzzzz

145. CH Marshall says:

In his sleep he dreams about fighting 20 Timos all at once

146. PrimeTime says:

You can keep your soiled garments along with your inaccurate point of views

147. PrimeTime says:

How many NHL games have you won?

148. Dunboyne Mike says:

How about, MT coached a good game?

149. jlgib1019 says:

Im giving this one to the players. Especially Gio,Markov,Emelin and Pleks in the 2nd/3rd. And of course Boods .Also I noticed how no one cheapshotted Murray even though he crunched Thornton and Lucic

jr

150. Ozmodiar says:

gotta admit, this is kinda funny.

151. CH Marshall says:

This is a classic comeback oneliner

152. Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks for setting me straight.
    Going to relocate my head as you suggest. Good tip.

153. PrimeTime says:

Glad I could entertain you. You constantly make me laugh.