Liveblog: Game 72 – Canadiens win a nailbiter on Plekanec goal

MaxCelebrate

Great game

It was important to both teams, and the Canadiens and Leafs rose to the occasion.

Max Pacioretty and Rene Bourque staked the Canadiens to a 2-0 lead early in the first period.

Joffrey Lupul and Tyler Bozak tied it up, but Brian Gionta beat James Reimer with 53 seconds left in the period.

After a scoreless second period, Nazem Kadri scored on a power play to make it 3-3 before Tomas Plekanec, who was in the pnalty box for Kadri's goal, bagged the winner.

Shots were 36-36.

The win moved the Canadiens five points ahead of Toronto in Atlantic Division standings.

Pleks atones

Tomas Plekanec was in the penalty box when Nazem Kadri completed a neat passing play to tie the game at 3-3.

Then on a Canadiens power play, Plekanec converted Andrei Markov's feed for the winning goal.

It was his first in 23 games.

CH survives surge

Toronto outshot the Canadiens 13-8 ... and that doesn't include the posts clanked by Jake Gardiner and Morgan Reilly.

Should be a terrific third period.

Last shot wins

The Canadiens grabbed an early lead on Max Pacioretty's 31st goal and RENE BOURQUE's ninth.

A Joffrey Lupul one-timer gave the Leafs life, and Tyler Bozak tied it.

The deadlock lasted 64 seconds.

With less than a minute left in the period, some yeoman board work by BOURQUE and Daniel Briere popped the puck loose to Brian Gionta, who scored his 15th.

Canadiens outshot Toronto 14-13.

Your basic big one

Your Montreal Canadiens hook up with the Leafs in a classic four-pointer at the ACC.

The Canadiens are third in the Atlantic Division, three points ahead of the Leafs, who hold a wild-card playoff spot. The race tightened when Detroit won on Saturday afternoon.

This is the last of five meetings between the Highway 401 rivals.

The Canadiens have won two of the three games played at the Bell Centre, while the Leafs won the teams' Jan. 18 game at the ACC.

Key lineup move: Alex Galchenyuk will centre the Canadiens' third line, with Brian Gionta and Rene Bourque on his wings. This is the kid's chance to shine in an important game.

Check back later for some bleu-blanc-rouge live blogging.

1,638 Comments

1. Dulljerk says:

What a ridiculous opening montage and music on HNIC. I hate their productions and I really think Ron MacLean is Ned Flanders.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

2. UKRAINIANhab says:

Boonejinx

3. JohnInTruro says:

It’s always strange seeing Danno on the broadcast..

4. danhabsfan says:

Boone: always the optimist

5. Strummer says:

As the CBC panel said- Habs with 3 lines that can get inside the 10 ft. perimiter of the Leaf net and cause havoc.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

6. danhabsfan says:

I can’t believe the Li he-up and the combinations, MT not making agood case for himself. This is a winnable game if the coach would do his job well.

7. Danno says:

BRJ© – Check!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

8. Texus says:

Need to hit Kadri early and often, can’t let him run around and take cheap shots all night

9. jols says:

Go Hab Go!!!
    Biggest tilt of the year…Laffs should come out like their home is on fire, if we can weather an early storm we can win this.

10. Strummer says:

The biggest complaint I have about hockey broadcasters is that they interview the players- they never have anyting interesting say- to wit Vanek and Phaneuf tonight.
    Its all cliches except for Vanek- “get pucks deep”, rivalry” yada yada yada

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• ffenliv says:

That’s the essence of sports media:

They can ask the boring questions, or the interesting ones, but they almost always get the boring answer.

Then when they do get an interesting one, they get two things:

1) A story from the ill-advised sound bite

2) Once that dies down, stories about how many stories they made from it.

11. UKRAINIANhab says:

Vidpuskaye kchlopchkyLets go guys!

HAhaha… RDS just said that Therrien already modified his lines placing Galchenyuk on the second line to the left of Pleks and Briere centering the third line. I can’t stop laughing. I just can;t.

13. vegas says:

like the lines even more
    max/dd/vanek
    chucky/plek/gally
    bourque/briere/gionta
    moen/eller/weise

Just watched Roger Waters’ In the Flesh from 2000. What a great show it was… so glad I went.

15. Danno says:

Mike Milbury’s shoe has a higher IQ than the Leaf-blower panelists on HNIC combined

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

16. Fansincebirth says:

Who’s going to be the first Leaf ‘goon’ to attempt to injure? Place yer bets

17. Da Hema says:

Everyone see Phaneuf glaring at the pre-game skate kids? And did he not point at one them and run his finger menacingly over his throat like Phil Esposito did? Those kids better keep their heads up!

18. Strummer says:

Why do you suppose “mugs and pluggers” end up being NHL TV analysts?

Money. They need it more than the stars.

Mugs and pluggers don’t make as much as the superstars and their careers are shorter so they turn to broadcasting younger and gain the experience over the star players.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• JohnInTruro says:

They spent more time observing the game, so are better talking about it?

• ffenliv says:

I think there’s another line here, too. Take a guy like Paul Bissonnette. He’s very much a below-average NHLer, but he’s great with social media, and is pretty good whenever they put him on HNIC, particularly After Hours.

Is it possible that a lot of the low-low-lower-echelon guys also have more interesting personalities?

Stock isn’t on HNIC because of his stunning insights. He’s there because he’s a loud-mouth, and has an interesting personality. You don’t have to like him; that’s a separate thing, but he is interesting, as evidenced by the interest he generates around here.

19. frontenac1 says:

Ok! Let’s do this! Vas-y Les Boys!!!!

20. habfan01 says:

Let’s open a Yeungling and get this show on the road.

21. jimmy shaker says:

Booner, the poll should’ve been:

What network will you be tuning into for tonight’s game?

CBC/leafs TV (not the cable channel)
    RDS
    NHL network
    other

Shaker out!

22. habsfan0 says:

Too bad Bill Hewitt isn’t doing the play by play tonight.

23. Sportfan says:

I don’t want Bouillon injured but is that the only way Bealieu comes up and Bouillon doesn’t get top 2 mintues?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

24. Danno says:

Galchenyuk is so calm when he’s interviewed. Gallagher is way more animated. Different but good.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

25. UKRAINIANhab says:

LOVE the second line

26. Sportfan says:

it sucks that chucky doesn’t get center but he gets more ice time!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

27. johnnylarue says:

I like the “Pleky and His Gals” line. Encouraging!

28. B says:

Interviewer: Thomas, what have your new team mates said about this huge rivalry?
    Vanek: Not much.

–Go Habs Go!–

• johnnylarue says:

There’s your “historic rivalry” in a nutshell, eh?

• JohnInTruro says:

I like Vanek in that he is “real”, he doesn’t fall for the silly “excitement” that tries to get drawn into it by the media. He doesn’t try to say “all the right things”, I like that about him.

• Adidess says:

Why would the players be talking about the ‘huge rivalry’? Players play 82 games a year, plus pre-season and playoffs. The only way they stay focus is by being in the moment, thinking about the game at hand. If the question was about the ‘necessity of getting 2 points from a team that is right on their heels in playoff standings’, I suppose they would have talked about that. The rest is for media and fans to babble on over.

29. habsfan0 says:

So,what’s worse,a schmendrick or a shlamaazal?

30. joeybarrie says:

PJ Stock…. What a clown.
    reminds me of the friend in your group always trying to get attention, and the one we all make fun of whenever anything comes out of his mouth.

31. ffenliv says:

I really like the way Galhenyuk has been handled this year. How many times have we seen Habs prospects, or good young guys on other teams that were thrown straight into the fire, particularly at centre, and were just rushed?

They were content to let Galchenyuk, a potential franchise player, develop as he needed to, even if it meant robbing the team of some points this year.

32. jols says:

Good move by the buffoon. You don’t throw a kid at center in the 72nd game with huge playoff implications. Play him on the 2nd line with 2nd PP duties. Briere has 15 years of experience down the middle.

33. vegas says:

I know I may be a dreamer, but I am hoping Bourque can come back strong and keep it strong. We need him big time if we are to make any noise in the playoffs

34. Habilis says:

This CBC pregame makes me thank god that I’m bilingual and can enjoy RDS.

35. Da Hema says:

“Elliott Friedman is the only journalist on the panel. Must be lonely.”

He also has the distinction of being the only one on that panel with an IQ that exceeds 90.

36. AliHaba says:

Amazing how they can’t find anything Habs-wise to talk about.

• smiler2729 says:

No surprise

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

37. Sportfan says:

Marek vs. Wysh had Strombo on and had a great point saying how the NHL coverage lacks the super stars unlike the NBA, NFL and MLB who has former top players analyzing the game. Strombo also said that the coverage should add these stars and I agree I’m tired of the PJ Stocks and Glen Healys of the world talking, let the players who accomplished something talk!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Healey makes a Welcome Back Kotter reference

…if he keeps this up I will want him rehired

39. habstrinifan says:

I saw a discussion re who we should hate more .. the Bruins or the Leafs!

It’s not even a contest folks.

The only real a-hole in Bruin land is Jack Edwards. All other Bruin souls avert their eyes downward in deference to the esteem in which they hold the HABS.

Chara and Marchand notwithstanding, there is a kind of acknowledgement in Bruinland that we are the ‘favoured one’. They understand that their quixotic struggle for equivalent greatness has always and will always be affected by the Gods (Forum Ghosts?) of hockey who show up in strange ways and mischievous caprice to thwart their happiness.

How can you not vouchsafe them the odd temporary success when you look back at their misfortune at our hands. Remember the great game of 71.. and Don Cherry’s too many men on the ice and Lafleur’s barely offside goal.

And remember Harry Sinden’s apoplectic conniptions on the Naslund goal.

I really cant ‘hate’ the Bruins between whistles.

BUT the Forrrrkin LEAFS. They are like Swamp bullies. Dirty and muggish and stupid… and they think it’s normal to be that way.
    We have kicked their arses from the day that Foster Hewit fostered their fraudulent ‘identity’ as Canada’s team and still they keep their zombie like assault on the gift of Hockey that we, the Mtl Canadiens, have crafted in honour of this beautiful country.

We kick their arses season after season, era after era. But let them win 1 game against us , and Greyhound buses are packed with uncouth louts in blue maple Leafed rags right across Canada declaring themselves Canada’s team.

And the ‘national’ media becomes nothing more than a billboard for the Carleton St. a-holes.

I remember, and I agreed then and do now, how Serge Savard heaped scorn on the person, when during the height of our 70′s glory, some changeling beat writer asked if the HABS were concerned about the upcoming game with the Leafs.

IT is no contest! I hate the ffffoooorrrkin LEAFS! Morbidly!!!!!!!!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Trini, We were brothers separated at birth :)

• habsfan0 says:

Well said.
      A playoff meeting between the Habs and Leafs would be much more stirring,particularly here in Canada,than a Habs Bruins matchup.

• Adidess says:

Agreed. A Mtl-Toronto series would consume Canada like never before, especially as the two only Canadian teams in the playoffs. The whole country will have nothing else to focus on. In the multimedia age, it would be unlike anything we have ever seen.

• habsfan0 says:

It’s also been 35 years since the Habs and Leafs have played each other in the playoffs.
          Since then(1979)the Habs and Bruins have hooked up in the postseason a multitude of times.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The skills of a telly-evangelist, and you’ve me nearly converted.
      But only nearly!
      Terry O’Reilly?
      Cam Neely?
      Chara, Marchand. Campbell’s dad.

• smiler2729 says:

Man, THAT is beautiful!

I have to retweet that, email, it, facebook it, memorize it and stick it in every idiotic blue & white piece of shit’s face I know!

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• AH says:

Trini, great post, but I ‘ve been a Habs fanatic since the late 60s for me it’s the Gooins hands down.

• Adidess says:

We might enjoy beating the Boston more these days because a win against them says something about the quality of our team (Bruins have been playing at such a high level for the past 3 years at least).

Personally, I feel it’s just wrong to lose to the Leafs. Losing to them in a game like tonight’s would not sit well with me.

40. Sportfan says:

Will Stock keep his job, I hope the answer is no.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

41. habsfan0 says:

Unless these 2 teams meet in the postseason, this will be last time the Habs and Leafs meet until early October,probably the season opener for the 2014-15 campaign?

Doesn’t seem right.

42. Da Hema says:

Dunboyne: I almost fell out of my chair laughing when you wrote that Mrs. Phaneuf intends to target the kids during the pre-game warm-up! That would be consistent with her character and “courage.”

• habsfan0 says:

Sounds like something her TV dad,Jack Bauer, would envision on “24″.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha! I know not everyone approves of frivolity, but there is an irresisistibly Monty Pythonesque picture emerging of tonight’s game with Phaneuf swinging his stick at children; Betty White out-skating Murray; Ron, Don and the rest of the CBC with blue-and-white pom-poms and cute little skirts and bloomers, and all the Habs saying “After you, I insist,” in their pursuit of the Lady Byng.

43. AliHaba says:

The Habs beat the Leafs tonight and Jersey beats them tomorrow plus Detroit and Columbus both win tomorrow then Toronto are in 9th with Washington only a point back. Just saying.

44. Luke says:

Hands up.

Who wants to go bass fishin’ with Front?

45. PrimeTime says:

Going to the ‘hood bar tonight to enjoy the game amongst Leaf and Hab fans. Gonna be great! Watching every game away from the Live Blog morons is a good time. Enjoy your suckatude space.
    ********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I dunno …I was a goalie, which kinda ‘splains My eccentricities …but I never coached more than My Son’s soccer team

…I don’t think I would be a very good coach, in any sport, because My free-spirit would be being fined and suspended more than all My players combined

…BUT I do have a Hell of a lot of backseat driver opinions on how other people whom know a lot more about coaching than I ever will, do their job

…as in, at this time, M. Michel Therrien

…I mean I walk into HIO and read Tinordi is a healthy scratch in tonight’s game vs da Weedz

…I further am informed that wee little Weaver and Boullion, along with Murray the pachyderm, ARE playing against a fast physical offensive team in a crunch-time joust with da Weedz

…so, is it Me that’s crazy ?

…hmmm, ……wait ! …I don’t think I wanna kniow :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

47. habsfan1001 says:

Reimer probably play best game of his career tonight

48. Dulljerk says:

I hope to see some physicality in tonight’s match up. I just hope that it is both teams that bring it. Habs have looked a little lady like lately.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

49. habstrinifan says:

Posters beware!
    Scalpers are working HIO now. Lafleuguy paid top dollars for his spot here tonite.

And Timo’s watching ‘live’.

Boone better bring it big time.

50. Dunboyne Mike says:

Psycho, Danno. This should clear it up:

Dm
    Dah! Dah! Dah! DAAAH!
    Dm
    Dah! Dah! Dah! Dah!
    BA Dm.
    Dah! Dah! Dah! DAAAH!
    Dm
    Dah! Dah! Dah! Dah!
    BUH buh, buh buh, buh buh, buh
    Buhbuhbuh, buhbuhbuh
    BUH buh, buh buh, buh BUH, buh buh
    Buhbuhbuh, buhbuhbuh
    Dm
    etc

51. kirkiswork says:

If they want Galchenyuk to shine maybe they could have given him some better wingers.
    Seems a bit odd.

52. Mr. Biter says:

Glad to see the Sens on the way out. Did not want to play them in the 1st round.
    Rather see White in for Eller tonight against leafs.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• jimmy shaker says:

It could be good or bad…..but eller skates better than whitey, is capable of finishing his checks and can play on the PK just like whitey. I think the fourth line can still be effective and maybe more so with eller’s skill. Hopefully he takes the role and runs with it and doesn’t sulk in the corner like lehner or rask after a bad goal.

Shaker out!

53. CJ says:

Anyone watching the Sens Stars game? Perfect example of why I don’t respect Neil. Continues to throw punches when his opponents down.

I will say this, as bad as our defence has been, regardless of who’s in or out, it’s heads and tails above Ottawa. They consistently allow 45+ shots a game. Headed for the draft lottery without a pick. Love it!

54. AH says:

Wife and daughter gone till Tuesday, can yell all I want for these next 2 games! My steak is going to taste sweet tonight after a Leaf arse kicking!

Go Habs Go!!!!!

55. Luke says:

@Front: (and everyone else)

Having a Buffalo Trace bourbon at this moment.

Thoughts?

I find it decent, but a bit too sweet.
    Definitely does not need an ice cub ot two to take the edge off.

56. Habilis says:

241 votes for the Loafs?? Caman!

• jimmy shaker says:

For some reason these guys have trouble with the leafs, and JVR/Bozak/Kessel do whatever they want out there against the boys. That is why I want to avoid taranna at all costs…….which is also why taranna has to continue to lose so they fall out of the playoff race altogether.

Shaker out!

• Loonie says:

Take our goalie and give him to the Leafs and they’re very likely sitting in second place in the Eastern conference.

They have depth at forward and a good mix of speed and toughness on defense.

57. Un Canadien errant says:

It’s amazing how polarized we are about most things on HIO. The Canadiens slight shuffle of the defensive corps for tonight’s game is drawing howls from some of us, as if it’s treasonous behaviour.

We have a lot of defencemen. Some of them do some things moderately well, but others not as much. They have strengths and weaknesses. We have quantity, not quality, for the most part. With Josh Gorges out, it complicates the job to make a coherent whole out of a box of mismatched parts.

We can agree that, for better or worse, P.K. Subban, Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin and Josh are our top 4. We then have to cobble together a third pairing out of odds and ends.

Douglas Murray has some deficits in his mobility and puck handling, but he’s all effort and brings unparalleled toughness to our blue line, so he’ll play a lot of games the rest of the season. As some have pointed out, it may be a good idea to rest him once in a while though, due to his advancing years.

Francis Bouillon is a reliable spare defenceman. He’s not great at anything, but he doesn’t have any great failings, he’s the Swiss Army knife, of our fallback brigade. Some offence, some defence, special teams, he can carry the puck and make a pass, he can play when there’s some hitting going on. The fact that he earned the trust of the organization and of the coaches isn’t something he should be scorned for.

Mike Weaver is as advertised, a smallish right-handed defensive defenceman who can play on the third pair. He’s not great, I don’t think he’s good, but he’s adequate for the purposes we brought him in, and the price we paid.

Jarred Tinordi is as expected, a big defenceman who can play when the going gets tough. He’s surprisingly mobile, and can handle the puck, but his journey isn’t completed yet. This season while in Hamilton, he struggled early on, being downright invisible some games, to the muted chagrin of the Bulldogs’ announcers. He’s getting a chance to play in Montréal now due to the fact that we are bereft of options, but it’s more of a case of the team hoping he’s ready, as opposed to him demonstrating he is ready and must progress to the NHL since he dominates in the AHL.

As for our other intrepid youngsters in Hamilton, they’re in the same boat as Jarred. We all imagine plunking down Greg Pateryn on the third pairing, a mature right-handed defensive defenceman seems to be just what the doctor ordered, but the brass isn’t enamored with that idea, obviously. Since they see the kid play every game, and at every practice, I’ll have to trust their judgment.

Same with Nathan Beaulieu. While he impressed me, and the boys at RDS also thought he showed that he was ready for the NHL, he’s been left to continue his apprenticeship with the Bulldogs. The reports are that his attitude and effort weren’t up to par after being sent down during the Olympic break. He, along with Jarred, also had an undistinguished start to his season in Hamilton. With Marc Bergevin putting such a premium on character and work ethic, and stating that you seldom regret bringing up a prospect “too late”, but often regret bringing one up too soon, we can understand the dynamic at play here.

So with all these considerations, with no obvious solutions at hand (“Hey, I just had an idea, why don’t we play Rod Langway and Donald Dufresne on our third pair?! They’re just sitting up there in the pressbox…”), the coaching staff will mix and match players, deal with injuries the best they can, play hunches, play the percentages, consider the opponent, respect the veterans, try to work in the rookies, … It will be a juggling act, and their choices won’t really have unanimous support, whichever one they make.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Da Hema says:

I always appreciate your comments, but I suspect you are being overly-sweeping with your polarization claim in this case.

You make many good points. The bane of this organization has been its defence core for the past 20 years. It is always cobbling together pieces of defencemen, many of whom are at best sixth or seventh defencemen ending up playing second-unit time.

You note towards the end the Canadiens’ management must know better than us why players like Pateryn and Beaulieu are not playing with the big club. I agree, but that should be tempered by the fact the team gave away Ryan McDonagh who also, management claimed, wasn’t “developing” but yet almost instantly became an all-star with a different team.

I don’t like the Murray choice tonight. The Leafs’ forwards are too swift, and even with last change it will be hard to get him off the ice when players like Kessel jump on. Tinordi is just as tough as Murray, and needs an opportunity to redeem himself (as I said to Timo below).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yes, as you said below and I am still laughing! Betty White!!

(Basil Fawlty and “The War” = the McDonagh trade)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not saying I would have started Douglas, necessarily, and I don’t begrudge Jarred a chance to redeem himself. Mainly, I do think the coaching staff has a lot of players to keep happy, and that each player comes with warts, so no decision will be a slam dunk.

I just hope that Douglas doesn’t get caught more than once or twice, that his positioning mitigates his lack of quickness, and that his presence in the lineup tempers the spirits of the Bodies and Orrs and Clarcksons. And that Dion Phaneuf wets himself and hands over his lunch money.

As far as the Trade That Shall Not Be Mentioned (Dipsy enacted a moratorium for the new year), that was the previous administration. Let’s hope the Nouveau Régime’s biggest blunder will be the Daniel Brière signing.

• matrags says:

Agree Tinordi should be in,but as usual he is punished for a rookie mistake. We are hard on our kids. Sitting out will make Tinordi a better man but a nervous d men with whip lash fr looking over his shoulder.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey matrags, did you see the loooooooooong discussion of this point on the previous thread? Most agreed with your position, but Phil pointed out that it was likely more than one weak play that put Tinordi in the press box (assuming mistakes was the reason for benching him).

• CJ says:

Good post. Thank you for sharing.

It will be an interesting off season. I’d expect to see a number of changes. I think we are likely to see a youth movement take hold starting next season. Can’t imagine Weaver, Bouillion, Murray, Gionta, Parros back next season. Markov is 50/50. Further changes hinge on the outcome of the next 11 games and the possibility of the postseason.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree, CJ.
        I sure hope the youth movement recognises that it needs to replace the doggedness and commitment of Gionta and the crease-clearing brick-walledness of Murray.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree that all the players you list are certain to leave, except possibly Douglas Murray. If he was a situational #6/7, playing against tough teams, he could still help next season. When injuries strike, it would be nice if the Bulldogs could send up some kids who can pitch in. With another year of seasoning, maybe we’ll be closer to that point next September.

I’m more optimistic that Andrei will be back than 50%, but it’s definitely not a slam dunk.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

FIRST! To reply to UCE.
      (you KNOW you deserved that, Normand!)

Anyway, great post. And we could have done with it earlier on the previous thread when the D lineup was being discussed. The notion that I still believe was missing from that conversation, as from many others here, is this one:

“Since they see the kid play every game, and at every practice, I’ll have to trust their judgment.”

Edit: damn my laborious typing!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. While this forum is here so we can discuss or debate, it’s too much sometimes, how some posters are 100% certain about some issue, and how the coaches are idiots and clueless and worthless. The coaches have a lot of information to process and go on, they make a call, they play their hunches, and sometimes it doesn’t work out, or it’s debatable.

I understand Mavid sometimes. I come in looking for good conversation, read three or four posts, and leave, closing the door quietly behind me.

• CJ says:

I sincerely hope I’m not one of these posters. I love to debate issues, but I don’t think my opinion is better than anyone else’s. I worry sometimes that folks think I’m crazy.

I believe there is room for debate and back and forth. Please let me know if I’m offside. I will course correct as required. Kindly, CJ

58. SPATS says:

Because a few of you keep encouraging me…

What do you get when 2 of the 3 stooges jump into a menage a trois with Mrs Jefferson?

Our 4th line… Larry, Moe & Weezie

Thank you, I’m appearing in my basement thru Sunday – Please tip.your server generously!

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

59. CJ says:

Imagine having a player who, thus far, has 56 points in 70 games, is plus 30 and has 126 hits. He’s big, physical (still a decent fighter and solid checker), plays a 200 ft game and is a leader on and off the ice.

Oh, and he was signed this off season, as a UFA, with a cap hit less than $2 million dollars on a one year deal.

Wonder why Boston’s won ten in a row……

Peter Chiarelli

• Timo says:

Yeah, but did he ever get the torch? Well… did he?

• CH Marshall says:

Apart from telling my friends that PK will be a Leaf one day, the one thing I used to tell my friends was that Jarome Iginla woulda made a great Hab. Instantly an upgrade on at least two of our wingers. 56 points and plus-30. Pretty darn good

• CJ says:

Excellent season at less than half’s Briere’s salary. Oh, and one less year to boot.

• jimmy shaker says:

But I don’t think he was interested in becoming a hab.

shaker out!

• habstrinifan says:

I think he would have. And my line which I had posted nineteen hundred times. Iginla would be good for the HABS and the HABS would be good for Iginla.

Too late now! It’s like the Larry obinson thing. You gotta show real interest.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My schadenfreude wishes for the season just aren’t panning out. Jarome Iginla is successful as a Bruin, who are thriving despite the loss of Tyler Séguin and the underwhelming performance of Loui Eriksson.

And while it looked good early with the implosion in Philadelphia, they’ve righted the ship, and Vincent isn’t having a disastrous season.

In Toronto, even though the advanced stats crowd assured me their luck would equalize, that a high shooting percentage and good goaltending tend not to endure, the Leafs are still in contention, and I still have to hear about it every goldarn day from Mark Masters.

• CJ says:

Riley Smith has helped offset the loss of Seguin. Iggy has been great, as much as I hate saying that. I so badly wished we could have signed him instead of Briere, who seemingly everyone questioned except our management team. Makes me wonder if Molson pressed the issue?

60. karpen33 says:

Happened to be Toronto this week and able to stay for tonight’s game. Not great seats but will be wearing our Habs jerseys. Should be a big game.

61. Frank2468 says:

I understand why Murray is in and good move for Chuckky at center but Bourque? Why even bother even with him the lineup it’s still like playing short one forward. Why not put Parros on the 4th line and move Weise up to the 3rd line. At least Weise tries and has foot speed. Not saying to do this forever but maybe try it tonight. The minute the Leafs start to hit and bully Bourque will run for the hills and not even go in to the corners to retrieve the puck.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Frank, is Parros overlooked because all of Orr, Mclaren and the other one are out?
      They must be hoping Bourque will play his A-game given the extra intensity and media interest in tonight’s game.

62. Steven says:

Late to the party on this, but I really like the Galchenyuk line. Gio and Bourque have played well together in the past(surrounding Pleks), and now they get to try it again with a more offensive-minded centre.

Worst case scenario, it doesn’t work and you probably see Eller on that line in Bourque’s place by game’s end. Best case scenario, the Habs finally get three scoring lines going.

63. Lafleurguy says:

Boonie….for you, this is equivalent to being lost for words. Even the pom-poms were a bit cliche. Still luv ya man.

64. Lafleurguy says:

@scrotchland; do the storm thing again will u? arcane humour, but “too soon.”

65. CH Marshall says:

Stubbs is right. Definately headscratcher re Tiny.

• Timo says:

Hey, I have an idea. Perhaps Stubbs can ask Therrien about it. Wouldn’t that be something?

• johnnylarue says:

It probably didn’t make the PR department’s list of acceptably vague and/or mind-numblingly obvious questions the press are allowed to ask.

• Da Hema says:

My concern with playing Murray tonight is the speed of the Leafs’ forwards. I’d play Tinordi over Murray for a range of reasons, not the least of which is to allow him the possibility of redemption. Tinordi knew he erred. We learn by doing.

• Timo says:

Bouillon isn’t any faster than Murray. Murray and Tinordi should be in. Bouillon should be enjoying ACC hotdogs. Murray should not be playing more than 10 minutes per game and mainly against Laffs grinders. It is THAT simple.

• Da Hema says:

Timo — Betty White can skate faster than Murray! No doubt he can bring a useful physicality, but you are presuming that Therrien can pick his spots with Murray. Tactically it’s hard to get Murray off the ice unless there is a stoppage of play. Banking on those is risky too.

• CH Marshall says:

Tinordi broke Ashton Carter’s nose in the first game, so at least he’s got some jam going against the Leafs.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Not really. Maybe, he should be in. But it is not really a headscratcher really

66. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ok seriously, we better win. Thats all.

Going to watch game live tonight… what’s that like?

“This is the kid’s chance to shine in an important game.”

Didn’t you just say with Bourque and Gionta as his wingers? He’ll be lucky to finish the game even.

• johnnylarue says:

Not to mention the kid has played at C for all of 10 minutes this season…

Feels like they’re throwing him to the wolves, but hey, maybe Chucky will rise to the occasion?

My fearless prediction: We’ll see that line dismantled after their first few shifts together are spent scrambling madly about their own zone like frantic puppies.

69. DominicanHab says:

This game just got even bigger with the Wings beating the Wild this afternoon

• jimmy shaker says:

This would be a perfect weekend…..

Habs: regulation win tonight

taranna: lose tonight and tomorrow night

C-bus: win tomorrow

De trois : win tomorrow night

and the leafs will be on the outside looking in, and we can all sleep peacefully and start the week on a great note going into the cubs battle!

Shaker out!

70. Max says:

Lehner is an expert at thinking he has the puck covered and sprawling out in such a manner, whereas the biscuit is actually a foot from him.

• B says:

Dean Brown (voice of the Sens) was ranting about the ref not blowing the whistle while Lehner has the puck covered and the Stars dug it out for a goal. While he is mid rant, a video is running showing the puck clearly lying open and uncovered. It took him a minute or two to realize what was going on and finally back peddle on it.

–Go Habs Go!–

71. Da Hema says:

“Puck drops 7:10ish, after the Hockey Night in Canada studio crew are finished waving their blue and white pom-poms.”

I don’t care what anyone says about him — I love Mr. Boone.

72. Da Hema says:

Thrice….

Edit: damn…..

73. SC-24 says:

Going to be a Gooder!!

74. jimmy shaker says:

Deucy, deuce, deux!

Shaker out!

75. DipsyDoodler says:

—–
    Moving. Forward.

76. ffenliv says:

I’ve no love for Stock, but I thought it was a funny reference, particularly when talking about a team’s playoff chances.

12-3 according to Boone. You’ll be shocked but not in favor of Habs

78. Seda Moss says:

Nope. Gionta.

79. Seda Moss says:

But Danny made a solid play to make it happen.

Well, technically you have two teams that are not too far off from being competitive in a beer league.

81. LeGrosBill says:

Barney Rubble the strip-joint doorman.

82. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Looks like he wants to suck on something too. Mouth open all the time.

83. boing007 says: