Liveblog: Game 70 – Vanek arrives, scores three to bury Avalanche

VanekCelebrate

Character win

The Canadiens bounced back from deficits of 1-0 and 2-1 to take control of the game in the third period.

Thomas Vanek scored three times and was named the game's First Star.

Fourth-liners Travis Moen, Brandon Prust and Dale Weise (with en empty-netter) also scored.

The brilliant Nathan MacKinnon, Max Talbot and Jamie McGinn scored for Colorado.

Bonus: Leafs lost to Detroit.

Emphatic

The Canadiens scored three in 5:15 to win a tough one.

Brandon Prust scored to give the Canadiens a 3-2 lead early in the period, but Jamie McGinn took advantage of atrocious coverage to tie it up.

Then Thomas Vanek took over.

Two power-play goals to complete his hat trick, and raise his season total to 24.

Dale Weise's empty-netter, on an unselfish pass by Tomas Plekanec, sealed the deal.

Canadiens outshot Colorado 36-28.

Vanek finally scores

Thomas Vanek's 22nd – and first in blue-blanc-rouge – got the Canadiens back in the game at 1-1.

The celebration didn't last long. Maxim Talbot cashed a nice feed by Matt Duchene to restore Colorado's lead.

But Travis Moen, of all people, scored his second goal of the season – a backhander, while losing his balance – to tie it up.

Patrick Roy wasn't thrilled with J.S. Giguere on the Moen goal.

Canadiens outshot Colorado 14-13 in the period.

Is he really just 18?

The only goal of the game was a beauty ... if you're a Nathan MacKinnon fan.

The talented teenager shimmied and shook to maintain possession in the Canadiens end, then found himself alone in front of the net, whence he beat Carey Price with a backhander.

The Canadiens' power-play continues to fizzle.

And Colorado outhit the home team 14-7.

Shots were 8-8.

St. Patrick returns

Figure there might be a $ with a few digits beside it on the whiteboard in Colorado's dressing room Tuesday night?

Patrick Roy is back in Montreal for the first time as coach of the Avalanche.

And you can bet his players will have a bit of added financial incentive.

Roy was coy about the dollar figure during his lively appearance on L'Antichambre Monday night.

The rookie coach did, however, promise an entertaining game between his Avs and your Canadiens.

"We won't play defensive hockey," Roy promised.

Why should they? The Colorado lineup includes a bevy of young players who can skate and score – plus an aggressive D led by Erik Johnson, who's finally living up to his status as the first overall draft pick in 2006.

In the teams' previous meeting this season, Colorado won 4-1 in Denver. Peter Budaj got the start in that game, but Carey Price will gets a chance to beat one of his goaltending idols Tuesday night.

1,313 Comments

1. deerehab says:

The win against Roy was priceless. Can not understand the respect for a quitter like Roy. His only excuse was a terrible coach but you should never quit on your team mates
    Subban finally played a game without too many mistakes.

2. habsr4ever says:

Eller has to pick it up or be benched yet again.
    DD was good again tonight for the most part.
    I am an Eller fan but sorry I can’t defend him much more – he was put with Galechenyuk and even he can’t read what Eller is going to do with the puck in the offensive zone or on the rush. He takes too long to make a play or the pass. Over thinking and obviously he is playing with ZERO confidence. Time to send him to the press box….let him think up there and watch and realize how much time he has. We NEED him if we are going to make a run….playoffs he’ll be better…..he has grit and size – its his time to shine then. Am I off my rocker? perhaps. But I trust he will return sometime this season. Good news is we will get a good deal on his next contract. At the start of the season many were saying north of $4 M per times 6…..until we see something more I would only offer $3 M times 3 and let it play out. Don’t trade him at his low point in the offseason. We don’t have many centres with SIZE. We HAVE to keep him. If DD got 3.5 M – geez. We may have to pay more – then again Eller is our number 3.
    Good Win for the boys tonight. Weaver still scares me out there. Tinordi played ok I thought….not as good as our last game but he needs games to develop at the NHL level right now. Murray was awful vs Boston so he will sit for a bit yet one would think. I think we are noticing the fact as to how valuable Gorges is to our blue line. Frankie Boo…Murray….Weaver…..really? These are all #7 Dmen and maybe #6…..shocked at TOI for Frankie Boo since he has been back int the line-up…..paired with PK helps him….but sheesh…..I am more ok with Tinordi being paired up to get the ice time.
    Emelin is playing better but still not nearly where he can be.
    bring on the jackets! I sense a let down game after the big W vs Patty Roy tonight.

3. HankHardball says:

Since Mr.Negativity, Tony Marinobrainer, makes his living crapping on the Habs, I figure turnabout is fair play.

I tuned in during the noon hour to hear him ask Chris Nilan a question, then answer it himself.

I tuned in at the start of the post game show and he was taking credit for everything. At which point I had to leave.

I came back for the start of Gamepoints with Matthew Ross. The post game show was just ending. On a night when Vanek scored 3 goals, the 4th line scored 3 goals, and the Habs beat a team 12 points ahead of them in standings 6-3, Tony felt it necessary to crap on Lars Eller. A guy whose goal 3 games ago started the Habs current rebound btw.

Tony used to be good. But lately he’s so full of himself he’s become unlistenable.

4. Butterface says:

Sat in section 118 Reds…. not bad.

Finally got to watch Weaver. Thought he was very conservative. Shoulda/coulda pinched twice and did not. Coulda/shoulda made a hit or two and did not. He is definitely not a risk taker. Plays a controlled, some might say boring, some might say smart given his size and skill. Either way he isn’t going to turn heads, but clearly is decent, but not by any stretch a top 4.

Tinordi made a few dumb plays and still doesn’t use his body enough. At one point may have caused a goal because price thought he had his left covered and did not. My feeling is he will fill out a little more. Cause forwards to be polite in front of out net, but won’t make anyone excited expecting him to add any offensive threat. Might be a 4, but more likely a 5 or 6.

Vanek makes no effort to retrieve a puck. If he loses it or watches it being lost, you can count on him to coast back to our defensive zone. Sure he produces, but zero effort on the backcheck. He can and did finally put the puck in the net. Needs to learn that in Montreal you need to use your other forwards less and just shoot the puck…. he was passing too much early, but then changed that. He is great from the offensive blueline in. the other 2/3 of the ice he is no help. If he isn’t scoring, he is not helping.

Avs are young and fun to watch… they should be good for a while….

Goaltending was not thrilling tonight. Though both goalies let in stuff they wish they had back. Definitly did not like the stance Price had before the 2nd goal went in. If he was in a Jon Quick stance, goal 2 would have been saved. Can’t knock his success otherwise this year, just would rather he had left pad on the ice knee down for goal two rather than standing. Puck came out of corner quickly and he was screwed with the stance he used.

Gally and Weise are fun to watch work. Subban makes the $146 ticket price and $22.50 for two beer palatable. Anthem singer was hot.

Lets hope Vanek continues from here.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

5. gavros7 says:

Huge Cowboys fan

6. gavros7 says:

Allez Allez Allez Desharnais

7. gavros7 says:

Exactly the English media the French media had the spotlight on DD

8. gavros7 says:

I cheer for the ravens only against the steelers and against that clown Kaepirnick

9. gavros7 says:

But who praises guys like DD the habs greatest player ever BENOIT BRUNET and the greatest journalist of all time Francois Gagnon.

10. gavros7 says:

A player like Eller has to change his game 360 and have the fear of being benched. Saturday night Subban took over the game got 3 points in 3 minutes and who gets the glory DD for the open netter.

• Denjen says:

Actually Lebrun,Freidman and Mcguire all said on TSN 690 the following day that Subban made the intelligent play to find DD at side of net for open netter to tie. Subby got the credit people noticed

• db says:

He needs to do a 180… which I thought he had done, but then continued to the 360 and now he’s back where he started.

11. Denjen says:

gravros7–what you hate the Steelers for man? Tell my you don’t cheer for the Ravens !!!

12. Willy the bum says:

Newly traded goal-scoring players are slow started when acquired into new teams (St-Louis, Moulson, etc.), but in just five games Vanek takes the biggest cake with more points tonight.

13. gavros7 says:

Would love to see DD have teeth coming out from his nostrils in the playoffs then 20 games in the new season have Max and Gally taken away from him

14. Marc10 says:

A new poster brought up the Eller vs DD debate. I’ll weigh in because I think that ship has sailed and both players through their respective play have brought the debate to a close.

Let’s begin with Lars…

Eller reminds me of Jan Bulis. That’s the best analogy I can come up with for the guy. I was hoping for a Pleky with size, but he’s really Jan Bulis.

I don’t think MT and co ‘ruined him’. He just doesn’t make the right decision often enough (at speed) on a consistent basis to warrant a promotion to the Top 6. It’s a fast league, so I can appreciate it’s not the easiest thing to pull off, even when you’re in the 1% of all hockey players on the planet. I mean compared to us punters, Lars and the rest of the lads are really demi-gods on skates, but I digress…

When Eller’s playing well, he’s a third line center with size that can cycle down low. He’s a bit physical, but he’s not going to intimidate anyone. He won’t produce more than 15 to 18 goals per season IMO, and when he goes cold… he’s frozen solid.

I’m still hoping Lars proves me wrong. It would be awesome to see him dominate for more than a week per season. But unless he shows up in the playoffs and turns on ‘beast mode’, I think we’ve waited long enough to see more out of the Great Dane (kinda like what happened with Jan Bulis). Failing a great playoff run, if I’m MB, I’d give his job to Chucky next year and trade him for a winger with some size.

Now about DD. He’s awesome and worth every penny he’s getting paid. Lars and DD are often compared on this site because they both really should be our third line centers (and because some non Francophone posters see DD as an affirmative francophone project).

We all know DD’s shortcomings (bad pun intended). He’s ridiculously small on a team with small players, not an explosive skater (although he’s no longer what I’d consider slow), and he’s not there to play defensive hockey. He is our best play maker, arguably our best passer (with Pleky), and he does make crafty plays at speed with his great vision in the O-zone.

While we wait for Chucky to come of age, DD gets the plum pairing of Patches and now Vanek and significant PP time. That time will come to pass once Chucky takes over. It’s only a matter of time. While we wait though, Mr Desharnais is one of the best values at center in the NHL. That’s my two cents on the Eller-DD debate.

I’ve been waiting for Eller to prove me wrong, but that simply hasn’t happened and time is running out.

Food for thought. Apologies for the long winded rant and spelling/grammatical mistakes.

• The Jackal says:

Good post, I agree with all you said.
      DD has been much maligned but he and Patch have been our only consistent scoring threats for a long time now.

I like Eller, he looks like a great kid and I hope he does well. If his ceiling is a third-liner that can pot 15 goals and be physical and sound defensively, then he can succeed Pleks one day. But tonight, I was very concerned with his D-zone play and his overall decision-making. I really hope it’s just a matter of confidence and that we give him another shot next year.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• ClutchNGrab says:

Eller has been acquired by trading a popular player and he’s tall therefore since he came he was given every opportunity.

Desharnais wasn’t even drafted, he’s short, he’s not fast. He made his way through the echl, the ahl before coming with the habs. He started on the fourth line and has worked to make himself a regular.

I’m not a big fan of dd, but he had all the excuses to fail. He didn’t.

15. gavros7 says:

Respect your comment Likehoy but we all know Fergie got all the calls much like the bruins and Laffs

16. Habilis says:

Didn’t even realize that Vanek picked up an apple on the empty-netter. Four point night for him. And, the entire 4th line scored. Not too shabby.

17. CJ says:

Quick question….

Who’s done a poorer job managing their goaltending portfolio, Mike Gillis in Vancouver or Bryan Murray in Ottawa?

• Frank2468 says:

I think Gillis takes the lead hands down but Murray isn’t that far behind

• Gillis. Can’t rank Bishop with Schneider and Luongo. That’s national sized screw up.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• CJ says:

Fair points. At least they got something of value for Schneider. The Sens got nothing (conacher, waived) for Bishop. I know moving Luo was bad, but his contract is a killer. Sadly, if he retires, the cap hit counts against the Canucks. What a hot mess…..

• Kind of sad to watch. Vancouver was such a solid team just a couple years ago and now Phttttt!

Let’s also not forget how Ottawa played last year with an AHL crew and then made mince meat out of us (still see Ellers face in my nightmares). How quickly things change.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• The Jackal says:

Ottawa did not make “mince meant” out of us last playoffs.
            We outplayed them most of the time and they got extremely lucky and got a lot of help from the refs. Couple of kicked in goals and Price was interfered with and no call. Then the refs call off a few of our goals of plays the Sens were allowed to get away with. It was all luck and bad officiating, the Habs were controlling the play most of the series except when the idiotic zebras gave it away. Can’t fault the team there and now the Sens get the sweet taste of karmic retribution.

And in response to something you said below about MT, I say – that is pure confirmation bias, pal. MT coached a very good game tonight and has had a good amount of success with this team. You’re purposely over-evaluating the talent on this team and under-evaluating MT’s contributions. Not to mention, whenever the team messes up, you (and company) see it as “proof” that MT sucks.

Let’s call it how it is and admit that this team is not poorly coached at all. MT has his flaws but he has acquitted himself well.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• johnnylarue says:

Yup. From an organizational standpoint, Gillis took a perennial contender and turned them into a ground zero rebuild project almost overnight.

Not good.

• Da Hema says:

Gillis is the Canucks’ Rejean Houle — every decision he makes incrementally weakens that organization.

• D Mex says:

Fully agree.
            Question : when they send Gillis packing this summer, what are the chances Burke will leave CGY and return to VAN to provide a major league distraction from the mess … ? …

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• HabsPooch says:

Gillis hands down! Bo Horvat better become something good!

• naweed235 says:

Gillis hands down

• Phil C says:

The goalie trade market is always weird. I’m still surprised Ottawa and St. Louis didn’t get more for Bishop. But you have to assume they both took the best offer available.

Gillis absolutely blew the Vancouver situation. How he managed to end up without either goalie still blows my mind. At least Ottawa still has Lehner who has struggled lately, but still has great potential.

• D Mex says:

Sounds like Lehner got blown out tonight …

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• Phil C says:

Yes, I think we broke him. ;-)

But he’ll bounce back. He’s only 22. They shouldn’t give up on him. 6’4″ athletic goalies with competive personalities don’t grow on trees. In three years, I don’t think anyone will be saying they should have kept Bishop. Lehner will be the real deal with more experience, especially once he gets some defense in front of him.

• monmick says:

With Murray and Bishop, it’s an issue of hindsight being 20/20. Gillis knew exactly what he had in Luongo and Schneider and, as such, was largely the author of his own demise…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Habilis says:

Gillis for me. Not because he traded them both away for peanuts but because he let situation degrade for 2 years, THEN he got nothing. At least Murray just made one bad move.

18. gavros7 says:

Gorges is missed because he’s replaced by MT’s boy Frankie. Problem is Frankie can make mistakes Tinordi and Beaulieu in MT’s philosophy can’t

19. chilli says:

So where are all those trolls who only 4 hours ago where saying:
    - Vanek has thrown in the towel.
    - Patrick will out-coach MT.
    And after Col scored first:
    - we lost. Can’t come back on this team.
    And after Col tied it up:
    - we lost.

You guys suck.

Tre

20. gavros7 says:

You’ll never walk alone

• likehoy says:

geez Liverpool hasn’t won anything and the fans already taking digs at Man Utd.

I liked that comment that Man Utd was bad even in their best years.. just an accident that Cristiano Ronaldo won the Ballon D’Or and Man Utd has the most championships in the EPL era, or made the Champions League finals 3 times in 4 years from 2008 to 2011.

I guess enjoy it while you can!

The thing about Arsenal is that they always try to walk it in…

I am not a Man U. Fan, but it is hard to understand how people can say they were bad in their good years indeed, certainly does nothing to give them credibility. I may not like Man. u but it is impossible to dispute their successes.

21. gavros7 says:

In my opinion habs won’t win the cup this year. So if we go to the second or third round guess who’s getting a contract extension and is untouchable?

22. gavros7 says:

Love Liverpool

23. naweed235 says:

Do we all agree that the worse possible match up in the playoffs for MTL is Philly? I have a feeling that they’ll be making a deep run this year. Barring that horrendous start to the season, they have actually been one of the best teams in the league for a couple of months now… Very much under the radar. Not to mention they beat 2 of the cup favorites in Pitts & Chicago in their last 3 games

• CJ says:

You won’t have to worry about Philly until the conference final. With the new playoff format it’s going to be almost impossible to face them in the first round. We can not face them in the second round. It’s better than 75% that our opponent will be either Tampa or Toronto. Detroit, Pittsburgh and Boston remain outside possibilities.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Thinking Boston and St Louis may be destined to decide Lord Stanley’s fate in slightly warmer weather. The Bruins have now won 10 in a row, and are solid from the net out. The Habs always play them well, but when the second season starts, the zebras are barely noticeable while brute force & ignorance rule the ice.

• naweed235 says:

If Price can put in his first solid playoff performance this year, I have no issue facing the Bruins and actually like our chances against them.

• CJ says:

Sad, but entirely accurate. It’s one of the reasons why I think we will have a tough time winning with DD as our first line centre. The game is called differently and favours a teams like Boston and Philly who prefer to muck it up. I love DD’s skill and desire, but if the game is officiated differently, he will be at a competitive disadvantage.

This is not an indictment on his play, which has been very good the past three months. Sadly, it’s the state of officiating in our game.

24. 416erHabsFan says:

We are still Undefeated when Weise plays, lol.

25. gavros7 says:

Now your talking eastern Ontario habs fan

26. gavros7 says:

Mike Keane couldn’t be a captain in this city but Josh deserves it?

27. gavros7 says:

Gorges overrated

28. gavros7 says:

Since I’m on a roll can I request that we get rid of that Sesame Street song after every goal. No good rock songs out there

29. gavros7 says:

Yes sir Habs Pooch

30. SC-24 says:

Price looked a little shaky.

31. gavros7 says:

First line will never be touched by MT. Second line since it is a shut down line should be plekanec Gallagher Prust and 3rd Eller Galchenyuk Briere. 4th just add Gionta he’s gone anyways end of the season

32. naweed235 says:

So does everyone still want to trade DD for a bag of pucks or are you eating crow?

33. Mattyleg says:

Well folks, the Curse of the Mattbino is over!!!

What a freakin’ game.
    One of the best I’ve seen.

Such a clutch win, and such great coaching, giving that fourth line tons of ice-time when they were on fire!

I’ll post some thoughts tomorrow, but for now I’ll just bask…

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…..

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. gavros7 says:

Hate Leafs,Bruins,Nordiques,Steelers,Giants,Niners,Man U,Panathinaikos with a passion.

Holy Cow, Randy Carlyle can be a doorknob. Apparantly Carlyle thinks Reimer was “Just Okay”, Reimer seemed none to impressed with the comment.

Love it, keep it up Kitty! Your annointed number one is hurt, so bash your backup Kitty!

36. Willy the bum says:

I’ll be the first to say Roy is first on the waiting list for the next Habs coach.

37. 25insight says:

We all know all too well that Desharnais usually plays well with good wingers.

The addition of Vanek to this line could become one of the top scoring lines in the nhl heading into the final stretch.

If Briere, Eller, and Vanek can get hot in the playoffs i see a different exit for our team.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I approve of this message.

====================================
      Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
      ====================================

• CJ says:

I think that we will score goals. I also think goaltending will be solid. My greatest concern is our defence. If we are pushing forward this year, against a wide open Eastern conference, we need to settle the back end.

• 25insight says:

Markov and Subban pull their weight Offensively, but i agree on the defensive aspect. The big guys like Tinordi and Murray really need to step up their game on the back end.

• Phil C says:

No question. Getting Gorges back will help immensely. Emelin seems to be playing a little better. I think they have enough spare parts to cobble together a decent 3rd pairing. Weaver/Tinordi were respectable tonight. But they key will be finding a reliable top four.

Bouillon looks great with the puck, but he has been brutal without it in his own zone, blown coverages and bad reads. Subban/Gorges will be a significant upgrade.

• CJ says:

Hi Phil, I agree. Frankie is solid in transition but gets caught looking in our zone. Offensively I thought Markov and Emelin looked very good tonight, but both struggled in our end as well as in the neutral zone.

• Phil C says:

Emelin is better when he moves. When he gets caught standing around he can look really bad. They can be a scary pairing for sure, they are not ideal partners for eachother, but the Habs will have to make it work at this point. They have had some good games which gives me hope that they can bring it for the playoffs.

• CJ says:

True. They were excellent against the Blackhawks. Strikes me as odd though that they were not paired at the Olympics. It stands to reason that Voynov would play with Markov on the PP, but you think that they would have leveraged the chemistry of then playing together. Personally, I think both would benefit from a separation, much like Gionta and Pleks.

• CJ says:

No worries friend! Food for thought, but you can reply directly to the poster within the thread you started. Just a tip to get you going. Again, please don’t be shy to post. I’m looking forward to it! Best wishes, CJ

38. JohnBellyful says:

Matty, I take it all back
    I’m sorry I made a wisecrack
    You’re not a Hab curse
    (I might have said worse)
    From now on I’ll cut you some slack

39. JF says:

Well done, Michel.

40. Adidess says:

Are we really third in the East right now? It is unbelievable that this much maligned team is part of the elite in the conference. It certainly doesn’t feel like we’re in the same class as Boston and Pittsburgh, but with a dozen games left, the standings don’t lie. Kudos to the boys and the coaching staff.

Excited about what’s possible down the stretch with our new sniper, TV, potentially catching fire…

• Willy the bum says:

Learn the lesson here: Pray for Price NOT to have an injury.

• Phil C says:

They just beat an Avalanche team that would have been in 5th in the league if they had won. I didn’t think the Habs looked out of place all night. In fact they really took the game to them in the 2nd and 3rd.

They only really complete team in the East is the Bruins, so I have no problem believing this team can hang with the best in the East, especially if Price gets hot.

41. HABitat4humanity says:

Hope Vanek continues this kind of play! Glad to see habs score more than a few goals. Defensively, we blew a lot of coverages. If the D can just get more shots on goal we would score even more goals.

42. habs_54321 says:

Did I see Bugs post on the last page of posts? I hadn’t seen him post in several years.

43. Say Ash says:

“Sorry, peeps, I don’t see a win here.”

Thanks, Boone. worked like a charm.

44. gavros7 says:

Lol. Thanks CH

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Vanek 3 goals, but +- was 0

…odd

46. Willy the bum says:

Why I keep thinking that Weise scored 2, when actually he got 1? Maybe the Habs should really keep that 4th line intact.

47. gavros7 says:

First time commenting. I read your posts every day and know you guys are a tight knit family. Find your posts funny and very knowledgeable. My favorite player of the 70′s-Gainey 80′s-Naslund and Chelios. Now PK and Price. My 2 cents worth is MT is the wrong coach for rookies and superstars. DD is overrated just because of the fact he doesn’t have to do any of the dirty work the other center men on the team have to do and by that I mean going to the boards and playing defensively. Don’t give up on Eller guys last year going into the playoffs he was our heart and soul. Can’t be a coincidence PK,Lars,and Alex play most games with a lack of confidence many games under this coach when they have all the talent in the world. Therrien reminds me of a Pat Burns wanna be. Difference is Pat was a real coach MT just had the French media going for him. Took some guts to write my first post please don’t rip me

• CH Marshall says:

Welcome. And no worries, someone WILL rip you eventually if you keep posting

• Willy the bum says:

Welcome to the Hockey Inside Out family! Your opinions matters like every other posters here. :)

• CJ says:

Welcome. I’d love to discuss hockey with you anytime. Solid first post! Cheers, CJ

• Bugs says:

Don’t rip us, we won’t rip you.
      “Ripping us” of course means “saying anything we don’t agree with”.
      And if we hear ANYthing from you that REMOTELY SOUNDS toranna or leafer in nature?
      Wellll…let’s just say…let’s just say: Don’t do that.
      Ok?
      Cool.
      You’ll be alright, bud, welcome aboard.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• Marc10 says:

Welcome.

I think you hit all the classic points I disagree with. DD, MT, Eller. That’s an HIO hat trick right there. Classic stuff. I shall enjoy debating these with you in the coming weeks.

• Yeah well, I agree with your MT points and how he’s choking off the young talent, so don’t listen to anyone else. Let’s the commentariat begin!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

48. Max says:

Vanek looked like a different person in his post game interview.Smiling,laughing and looking much less dour.Hopefully it’s the start of something great.

49. govenah says:

Defence for the game against Boston should be:
    PK , Tinordi
    Markov, Emeilin
    Murray , Beaulieu

Forward lines should be the same but I might add White instead of either Briere or Eller.
    The glass is MT.

50. Habitant in Surrey says:

…it takes a bit of getting used to watching Our Team having a Player with size putting Himself in the right spots in front of the net, and with the calm sure hands to actually put the cookie in the jar

Getting more and more disenchanted with John Lu and his questions. His leading question tonight of Roy asking if he expected Montreal to do more (by way of celebration etc… Roy coming back) was brutal. Loved the fact Roy handled the question well and said it was what he wanted.

Just report on the fricking game Lu, stop trying to make a story.

• CH Marshall says:

I think it’s more of a game really. They both know that a question like that hives Roy the opportunity to look classy, on the other hand if Roy bites, then it’s good for a new site update on TSN

I suppose, but I have noticed a few more loaded questions of late from him. He is exposing his lack of knowledge of hockey to me by asking such TMZ type questons as opposed to hockey related.

• DipsyDoodler says:

They already had the celebration.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

52. habs_54321 says:

tsn says 6-0 canadiens lol

53. doug19 says:

Great for Vanek a power goal scorer.
    Interesting to watch him, he know when to slide to the front of the net where he scored his 3 goals. He is ok defensively too.
    I hope Eller and some of the other young guys takes notes. Prust is so much better when he just plays hockey. And how about Moen on the spinorama!

• Phil C says:

Yes, and Vanek is able to find the puck in traffic and he has a really quick release, all those skills together make for a deadly combination.

Loved all the second efforts on the Moen goal. Prust dives to get the pass to him and Moen scores falling down. For a big man, he has some hands.

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

…extremely dignified press conference by Therrien

…would, if any chance, do whatever it takes to repatriate Roy to Our Habs, but You have to give Therrien the utmost respect …His Players stood-up for Him tonight

…tonight was a very important win that gives Me hope We will have fun beyond the first round of the coming playoffs

• D Mex says:

Fully agree.
      Conducted himself with class in the finest tradition of the Habs.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Exactly, you get it. That was a good hockey game to watch. Both teams played hard, I mean seriously, what a star MacKinnon is going to be.

Montreal was especially hungry tonight. I picked up on that as well.

====================================
      Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
      ====================================

• RiverviewCanadien says:

====================================
        Folks, it’s still winter, and I’m pretty disappointed it
        is still that cold out when spring should seriously be
        just around the confounded, bloody, frickin’ corner!
        ====================================

• JF says:

Nice to read some positive remarks about Therrien on this board. Makes a welcome change from the usual litany of Therrien sucks complaints, not to mention Timo’s repetitive Is Therrien still the coach question. I sometimes feel that I’m the only person here who actually thinks Therrien is a good coach and is doing a great job.

• Doesn’t change anything. Lose three poorly, win three well. That’s .500 play and he can’t coach himself into the second round despite having some talent on the team. I mean PK, Gally, Chucky, Prust, Pleks, Markov-Sigh…, Yes Eller (don’t give up on him, MT has killed his spirit), Max (Mr. hot & Cold), DD by way of Max only, otherwise he’s a zero (you all know it!), now Vanek. At least two solid lines and a tough fourth with White. The rest, meh!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

55. @spats, I thought Weise was from Winnipeg?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

56. RiverviewCanadien says:

Holy crap…Vanek and Pacioretty on the same line…nothing leads to cardiovascular issues like 2 “in bunches” goal scorers to keep things exciting. Very nerve wracking/fun to watch…is that possible at the same time…every game apparently.

Therrien outcoached Roy and deserves kudos for the signs this team is showing, and you can’t forget about Bergervin. That Weaver pick-up is a steal. What a replacement he has been for Gorges.

Good things are happening, the team is going in the right direction. All the naysayers are proven wrong at every corner.

GO HABS GO!

PS – Subban and ‘The Cube’, great pairing.

====================================
    Folks, it’s still winter…I’m @$#!ing pissed off!
    ====================================

• Willy the bum says:

Until for another losing streak. ;)

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Of course, it makes this site go ’round. For sure some here deserve instigating penalties, boarding, and unsportsmanlike conduct.

It goes with the territory of being a Habs fan. Every body is right and no one is wrong!

====================================
        Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
        ====================================

• kalevine says:

I barely noticed Weaver…that is a very good sign

57. Willy the bum says:

Vanek love the crowd chant for him, sure didn’t get that in either of the two former teams.

58. naweed235 says:

Aren’t we glad that Prust’s shoulder didn’t give out on that fist pump celebration? :)

59. CJ says:

Great win. Combined with a Sens and Leafs loss I’m pretty happy. Correction, very happy.

Lots to get excited about. It was only a matter of time before Vanek found the back of the net. It was slow coming, but the coaching staff recognized that you need to put your best new player, a true sniper, in a position to succeed. We are now forcing the opposition to adjust to our new look PP, which once again has both a down low and up top option. Great adjustment.

I really liked the fourth line. I like guys who lace them up and come to play. Weise seems to be the guy who makes this go. Great game from Prust and Moen who were physically engaged and sustained play in the offensive zone through an effective cycle. Clearly Prust jammed his wrist earlier and not his shoulder, which is very good news (sorry, the best of a bad case scenario).

Price continues to appear rusty, which must be expected. I have every confidence that he regains his form. His health is of greatest concern. I hope he is ok. If so, the rest will fall into place. Much like I’ve said that I have no concerns with our offense, I feel the same about goaltending. Which leads me to…..

I’m not going to spend anymore time tonight hammering Frankie. I’ve made my point regarding our defence and what changes I believe put us in position to achieve greater results. Much like the coaching staff was slow to react to Vanek with Pleks and Gionta, I’m sure that changes on defence will occur, in time. It is our greatest concern. I understand that Gorges helps, but there are still holes and players playing out of position.

I know he is a favorite here, but I still can’t figure out how Briere fits. He’s not good enough to be on the top two lines, while not defensively responsible enough or physical enough to play on the third. When Bournival is healthy I believe Danny could be the odd man out. His only saving grace might be Eller, who can’t seem to avoid tripping over himself. I’m not prepared to give up on the kid, but at some point you need to put the team’s best interest ahead of individuals. Unless the team is inflicted with the flu bug or injuries, I believe that Bourque and Parros have played their last games with the organization. Parros simply doesn’t have the tools, but has the heart and desire. Bourque has all the tools, but lacks the heart and desire. Go figure. I’d give up a year of my life to be a part of the team, sit on the bench and score one goal. To see a player give so little is beyond frustrating.

Lastly, I posted mid way through the second, while the score was 2-2 that the coach who made the best in game adjustment would win. To his credit, tonight anyway, Therien was that guy. Good on you coach! I may not agree with every decision, but you have to tip your hat and give credit where it’s do. I respect a coach who is unafraid to play the fourth line and sit Briere, recognizing who’s contributing and who’s not. I think riding Frankie for 20+ a night will cost us more than it will help us, but, as noted above, I said I’d lay off so I’ll end there.

Have a great night everyone! Cheers, CJ

Which exact goal on Price was rust related?

• I heard someone earlier say the same thing, I saw nothing wrong with his play, didn’t have to be outstanding for a change.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• CJ says:

His positional play is improving, but is not as strong as it was before the Olympic break. He tracked pucks heading into the Olympics better than I’d ever seen him do so before. This evening, and during the Ottawa game, I found that he was a smidgen slow to react. I don’t think that there were any soft goals by any means, however I do think he stops the third goal before the break. His bar is set very high based entirely on his play. I don’t think it’s unfair to suggest that he is knocking rust off. If anything, I believe he only gets better.

If that was the only thing derived from my post, I have clearly done a poor job communicating my impression of the game. My apologies, CJ

• HabsPooch says:

No apologies necessary. You were accurate on all accounts.

• CJ says:

Just to confirm, I have every confidence in Price. My comments were meant to be flattering as he is only going to get better. He certainly has been good, but before the break he looked huge in the net. IMO, we are going to have a positional advantage (goaltending) over any team in the east, with the possible exception of Boston. That said, Rask has not enjoyed great career number against the Canadiens.

Again, I always welcome the feedback. Kindly, CJ

Just didn’t see him as rusty per se on the goals. More accurately, I am not worried about Price.

Didn’t mean to create a scenario with you apologizing….. just commenting on something that caught my attention.

• CJ says:

He is so good. Sometimes we (I) forget how lucky we are to have him. He makes difficult saves appear routine. I think he is poised to take another step. I just worry about our defensive zone coverage…. He can’t stop what he can’t see or one timers in the slot.

No worries about the apology business. It’s just my personality. It’s difficult, at times, exchanging on this platform as without knowing your audience messaging can get lost in translation. Cheers, CJ

• D Mex says:

Thanks for having us over, again, CJ …

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

60. Mr.Pointu says:

I saw Galchenyuk sitting besides Vanek on the bench tonight and I smiled at what could be…. Dream a little dream.
    Holy sh*t storm!
    Make it 4 against Columbus and get the big train chugging hard into Toronto on Saturday Boys!!!

61. punkster says:

I think I’m still in a state of euphoric shock…awesome!

Release the Subbang!!!

62. ClutchNGrab says:

Bruins clinch with one more point? That’s impressive in a way, but in another they don’t look that dominant.

• Bugs says:

Clutch, meet last week’s game.
      Last week’s game, meet Clutch.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• ClutchNGrab says:

I wasn’t using last week game against the Habs as a barometer. Before the season began, I thought Chara had lost an edge and the rest of their deference wasn’t that good. I watch a few of their game this year and most were close in terms of play. But then again, maybe it’s my bias against them… actually it probably is.

63. Willy the bum says:

Whoa, wait a minute: Vanek scored hat trick, Weise got a goal and empty netter, Moen got 1 and Prust got 1.

So isn’t it 7-3 Habs?

64. D Mex says:

Classy response by MT re : Av players wanting to win it for Roy.
    Nothing personal – lots of respect for Patrick …

Very classy, MT, very classy.
    BTW : Excellent job – again – tonight !

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

65. slapshot777 says:

I know some were saying earlier tonight that MT would be out coached by Roy. So these same posters should give credit where credit is due and say that MT out coached Roy and thus the Habs win.

I actually enjoy it when they keep their Pieholes shut!

• Bugs says:

I think The Acquisition outscored Roy’s coaching, more like.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• SPATS says:

Boone was quoting all these stats that were working against us. We were due to beat these guys. Great team effort tonight from between the Pipes all the way to the 4th liners. Even Gio, Eller, Chucky had some good shifts, but boy oh boy our 4th line played like 1B

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

• Marc10 says:

Not a chance. Those same posters spent the better part of the season teeing off on DD even after he finally got going. The vast majority still haven’t owned up to that (maybe one or two have made amends…)

Don’t hold your breath. In the meantime, this team keeps put putting right along. They played a solid game tonight against a tough and motivated opponent. Not bad for a team that can’t score.

66. Willy the bum says:

Best St-Patrick’s weekend ever for the Habs.