Liveblog: Game 70 – Vanek arrives, scores three to bury Avalanche

VanekCelebrate

Character win

The Canadiens bounced back from deficits of 1-0 and 2-1 to take control of the game in the third period.

Thomas Vanek scored three times and was named the game's First Star.

Fourth-liners Travis Moen, Brandon Prust and Dale Weise (with en empty-netter) also scored.

The brilliant Nathan MacKinnon, Max Talbot and Jamie McGinn scored for Colorado.

Bonus: Leafs lost to Detroit.

Emphatic

The Canadiens scored three in 5:15 to win a tough one.

Brandon Prust scored to give the Canadiens a 3-2 lead early in the period, but Jamie McGinn took advantage of atrocious coverage to tie it up.

Then Thomas Vanek took over.

Two power-play goals to complete his hat trick, and raise his season total to 24.

Dale Weise's empty-netter, on an unselfish pass by Tomas Plekanec, sealed the deal.

Canadiens outshot Colorado 36-28.

Vanek finally scores

Thomas Vanek's 22nd – and first in blue-blanc-rouge – got the Canadiens back in the game at 1-1.

The celebration didn't last long. Maxim Talbot cashed a nice feed by Matt Duchene to restore Colorado's lead.

But Travis Moen, of all people, scored his second goal of the season – a backhander, while losing his balance – to tie it up.

Patrick Roy wasn't thrilled with J.S. Giguere on the Moen goal.

Canadiens outshot Colorado 14-13 in the period.

Is he really just 18?

The only goal of the game was a beauty ... if you're a Nathan MacKinnon fan.

The talented teenager shimmied and shook to maintain possession in the Canadiens end, then found himself alone in front of the net, whence he beat Carey Price with a backhander.

The Canadiens' power-play continues to fizzle.

And Colorado outhit the home team 14-7.

Shots were 8-8.

St. Patrick returns

Figure there might be a $ with a few digits beside it on the whiteboard in Colorado's dressing room Tuesday night?

Patrick Roy is back in Montreal for the first time as coach of the Avalanche.

And you can bet his players will have a bit of added financial incentive.

Roy was coy about the dollar figure during his lively appearance on L'Antichambre Monday night.

The rookie coach did, however, promise an entertaining game between his Avs and your Canadiens.

"We won't play defensive hockey," Roy promised.

Why should they? The Colorado lineup includes a bevy of young players who can skate and score – plus an aggressive D led by Erik Johnson, who's finally living up to his status as the first overall draft pick in 2006.

In the teams' previous meeting this season, Colorado won 4-1 in Denver. Peter Budaj got the start in that game, but Carey Price will gets a chance to beat one of his goaltending idols Tuesday night.

1,313 Comments

1. db says:

Ouf… even TSN admits that was weak

2. slapshot777 says:

WTF was the penalty for there falling into the player?

3. Danno says:

no it wasn’t

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

4. danhabsfan says:

Was that the penalty?

5. Texus says:

Yay another phantom call

6. The Prustean Age says:

Man, Eller has his pockey picked every bloody shift.

Screw the “hockey gods”!

7. CalgaryHab says:

Coach Roy will have untold methods of motivation to not only beat the Habs but to throttle them. MT will motivate his players by his predictable line juggling and the promise of trying to make them better people.

8. Maritime Ronn says:

Habs look a little tight
    Not skating very well so far

9. sailordan1964 says:

Lucic vs clowe tonight

10. db says:

Oh I wish this was EA NHL 14… I keep getting offered Statsny for Eller and a 2nd.. and traded Murray for a 1st :p

11. Dulljerk says:

A few hits might be nice. I don’t see anyone finishing their checks. They aren’t going to outskate the AV’s.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

12. danhabsfan says:

Remember when our complInt was they only scored on the PP, well, they fixed that.

13. EricInStL says:

Some of the habs will need motion sickness pills….

14. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

2 mins of futility brought to you by the worst pp EVER!!!!!!

15. Maritime Ronn says:

Good play by Subban not taking a penalty

16. danhabsfan says:

Nice to see PK not give up on that play

17. Danno says:

If chances were dollars Vanek would have about 20 bucks

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

18. danhabsfan says:

And that is a earl trip, for all the Hab haters

19. UKRAINIANhab says:

Quiet

20. danhabsfan says:

Oh boy, Avs are fast

21. Willy the bum says:

RDS didn’t show the ovations; ah shucks!

22. CJ says:

Gotta force the Av’s D. They are the weakness. We need to play the majority of the game in their end, forcing them to defend. Obviously, the first goal is key.

Vanek is going to pop one tonight. Eller will also click with Chucky and Gionta. Gotta be positive! Go habs!

23. duffy says:

I think I saw Mario Tremblay in the seats behind Patrick when they put the camera on him .

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just WHO ??? Is the F programming genius at TSN that decided to keep the Roy vs Habs game regional tonight ???

…cripes, I bet every hockey fan in Canada prefers watching this game

…instead, out here in BC We get the MF Phlyer vs Chicago game !!!

…WHO ??? Bloody well cares ???

25. Danno says:

BRJ© – Check!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

26. danhabsfan says:

Boone, you can’t even wait for the game to start before being negative… So sad.

27. joewindsor habfan says:

Hmm, just think we still don’t know what the youth of this team brings on a consistent basis (Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Eller, White and Subban) because the coach does not trust playing them. So, I figure next year will be like the last 3 yrs and give these guys spot duty, play the opposite wing or position experiment and digress while 18 year old Mckinnon and other kids in the league prosper. Wow, we are sheeps!

28. Willy the bum says:

I really hope for a passionate game tonight, if the Habs take the passion.

29. habberns says:

Anyone have a link to a good live stream of tonight’s game?

Reto Berra for a 2nd rounder. I don’t get it.

31. Maksimir says:

no standing ovation for Patrick? can watch the game just following HIO

32. Dulljerk says:

Chucky needs to more physical, I think, before he’s given more ice time. I find he shows a little timidness when the slogging gets rough.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

Looks like we’ve lost the headmaster.

34. mark-ID says:

Just looking at the standings, as it is now, I guess we can all be happy if the teams out of the playoffs lose their remaining games. I know Detroit plays Toronto tonight…..so I’m kind of torn on who to cheer for. As much as I want Leafs to lose…and stay ahead of them, it would also be nice that Detroit loses their games in hand on us.

Check out Washington’s schedule if you have a chance………they have a lot of tough games in there remaining 12. Hopefully that is good news for us, since they are currently in 9th…7pts behind us.

35. slapshot777 says:

For as much as the Avs players want to win this for Patrick Roy. I am sure the Habs players want to win this for first and mostly the points and secondly to get back on a roll.

36. SPATS says:

Anybody know how much ice time McKinnon’s getting? I’m sure Chucky would have similar #’s given the same treatment

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

37. johnnylarue says:

Odds-making aside, Matty’s presence at this game guarantees a Habs loss. That much we know for certain.

I would advise the more sensitive fans among you to pretend the Habs are some other team tonight, and simply try to appreciate all the great young players the Avs have in their lineup.

Imagine you’re at fancy dog show or something, admiring the fine coat of prize Landeskog, or the dignified gait of a rare, purebred MacKinnon…

38. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

McKinnon talking with Pierre House on RDS. Poised, well-spoken, humble…hard to believe he’s only 18.

39. RockinRey says:

Amazing how a coach can turn a team around and be a contender so quickly. I thought Colorado was supposed to be on down slope when Sakic, Roy Forsberg, Blake et al were gone.

Pretty impressive coaching job.

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

40. habs-hampton says:

Great story in Detroit tonight with Ray Ferraro’s son Landon playing his 1st NHL game. Ray is without a doubt the best color guy in the league right now.

41. SPATS says:

Wow, judging by the stats, we are long overdue to beat these Rockheads. Dale Weise for Diaz was a stroke of genius!

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

42. UKRAINIANhab says:

Yada yadadadaada Patrick Roy yayayaydayyaya. I love the guy, but hopefully we win 10-0.

43. Congrats to Team Canada says:

We have 4 wins against Colorado all time, Price has never beat them, and Halak was the last goaltender to do it 5 years ago on the road. & 8 years since a win at home.

So that means a win tonight rigght?

44. NightRyder says:

I chuckle at the folks who somehow downgrade Roy (or to a lesser extent today, Subban) because they have “big egos.”
    Elite athletes have to have confidence to get to where they are. I’ll take a giant ego from someone who can back it up any day.
    Coaches can’t treat all of their players the same way. If they do, they’re not going to be around very long.
    The minute Therrien had Price and Subban tone down their triple high-five or whatever it was, I knew he was a goner.
    Give me a team that knows it’s going to kick your ass, and isn’t afraid to say it, any day. Give me a guy who’s going to tell you there is no chance you will score, and wink at you.
    We have had zero swagger since the day Roy told off that little toad Corey. It’s that exact swagger that always made the franchise great.
    It had been around since the days of the Rocket.
    It left with Roy.
    Price and Subban could have it but for reasons well beyond me, it’s frowned upon.

• habs-hampton says:

unless you’re on a completely different level like Gretzky, you need a bit of cockiness to be successful.

• SPATS says:

Yep, when I think of an athlete with a big ego, I just look at Tiger. Too bad his body’s betraying him like his libido betrayed her… otherwise, he mighta caught Jack by now. Too bad, so sad

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

• rljmartin says:

Don’t expect any swagger with MT at the helm making better people of hockey players.

45. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hai!!!

46. jols says:

Win or lose, Therrien is still the biggest buffoon coaching a NHL team.

Go Habs Go!!!

47. duffy says:

Vaneks going to come to life tonight, Hat Trick !!!!!!

The last time we drafted a kid that could play at 18 yrs old in this league was Guy Laflure. Avs tanked and received!

49. Donkey Hoat says:

Lost in the Roy circus…Go Habs!

50. rljmartin says:

Lot’s of talk about Roy these days, some good, some bad but I am certain about one thing, the difference between a coach and a control freak can be seen in the handling of McKinnon vs. Chucky.

Remember MT got dumped by Pitt when they had a young developing future all-star lineup. And yes I am bitching about MT even before the game starts because I believe this is his biggest issue.

• RockinRey says:

Its time to feed Chucky more ice time. Mckinnon is 18 . They stifled Chucky for too long he has to be put in difficult situations and the Habs have to see if he can handle bigger minutes and responsibilities….

——————————————————————————————————
      You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

51. maciekhockey says:

Go WINGS Go

52. Maritime Ronn says:

Pretty cool RDS interview with Max Talbot.
    They have a mike on him as he’s skating during the warmups and doing a Q&A while he’s skating.
    Never saw that before…

53. Danno says:

Maxime Talbot was miked up and interviewed live on RDS while he was skating in the warmup

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

54. Willy the bum says:

You’re right Boone, Talbot talking an ear piece for RDS.

55. SPATS says:

In other news, Jim Flaherty asked to be traded to the private sector today, and Malaysian flight 370 is rumored to be on Diego Garcia?

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

56. Danno says:

Also – go Red Wings tonight

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

57. Mavid says:

I love Pat Roy but I hope we kick his ass..I bet secretly he is cheering for the Habs too..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• johnnylarue says:

He essentially promised the AC audience “a great show”, and said his team would be firing on all cylinders. I suspect the thought of losing this game has yet to cross his mind.

58. The Teacher says:

Game 3 of serious win streak tonight. Only game I see us losing possibly is the bruins game. We win them all in next little while.

59. RockinRey says:

As much as he is highly thought of in Montreal Patrick had a big ego.

I Listened to an interview on sports radio today in Toronto where Pat Hickey told a story about the inner workings of the Habs at that time.

Patrick was bitching about perceived privledge with Damphousse and he did not take kindly to a perceived slight by Carbonneau about the Habs being more than Patrick Roy….

Interesting that with Demers there were special rules for Patrick and he openly admits stars needed to be treated differently…and coddled.

Sounds like any workplace with drama.

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Frank2468 says:

Well maybe but how many cups did the Habs win after Demers left? The only accomplishment was to have your star player tell you to take where the sun don’t shine. I think Demers was on to something but that’s only my opinion in dealing with players. I think MT went to the Tremblay school of coaching the way he’s treating PK and if not careful that could end up like 1995 2.0

• RockinRey says:

I agree about MT re Subban. Patrick had a huge ego and was telling Tremblay to play certain players and not play others. That is why Savard tried to trade him before he got whacked. He said Patrick took up a lot of room in the locker room.

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• boing007 says:

Jacques Demers was like a Mother Hen kind of coach. Very maternal.

Richard R

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Big ego? You think?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• RockinRey says:

I knew it was huge and hear many stories over the years but he was weighing in on coaching decisions with Malakhov and JJ Daineault

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

60. scrotchland says:

6-0 Avalanche. Book it.

plus don’t forget that manny is at the game tonight

• johnnylarue says:

Are you serious?

As if The Curse of St. Patrick wasn’t enough, but Manny “Glutton-for-Punishment” Leggins is going to the game??

Think I’ll save my good mood for the highlight reel tonight…

61. Habitant in Surrey says:

…available now on TSN.ca is new insightful interview between Michael Farber and Patrick Roy
    …on His anticipation of tonight’s game and circumstances of Patrick’s last game as a Montreal Canadien

62. AliHaba says:

My feeling is that with Carey Price back healthy and rested plus Vanek feeling more comfortable in the Habs’ system that we are going to grab home ice in the first round.

63. WindsorHab-10 says:

You guys are underestimating the huge win we had Saturday night & the confidence it gave this team. I don’t care how Colorado is & how great St.Patrick is. No way in hell is Colorado winning this game.

Tomas Vanek with the game winner. Take it & deposit it.

64. howiemorenz7 says:

Gotta hand it to the Avs picking MacK over Jones, gutsy. Hey, PK would sure look good on their D next year, hmmmm … $23M in cap space, only one other expensive RFA to deal with … where will he land?

As for tonight, I ran into Sam Pollock in the lounge, he says 6-1 Avs. He’s not often wrong, but I’ll hedge it, 3-2 Habs in OT. Do they serve Sleeman’s in that lounge?

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

• Maritime Ronn says:

What was interesting during Patrick’s interview with RDS was that Denver product Seth Jones was never part of the conversation for the Draft.

Patrick mentioned it was MacKinnon, Barkov, and Drouin.
      The org. decided unanimously to draft NM.

• Paz says:

Anyone from the Q would have grabbed Mackinnon. He is a lesser version of Crosby in that he plays at such great speed. And his work ethic is second to none.

65. Hobie Hansen says:

My goodness. I just looked at the Colorado stat sheet, holy cow! That is quite the list of 20+ goal scorers and guys with 50 pts or more!
    We might have the better goaltender, a little more star power on defence but their list of forwards is spectacular. The Oilers should be ashamed when comparing themselves to the Avalanche and the results each team is getting!
    And how about Ryan O’Reilly, ZERO PIM in 66 games! Insane. I guess he’s winning the Lady Byng?

66. JF says:

I confess I’m a bit tired of the Patrick Roy love-in. It can’t be denied that Roy is doing a great job with the Avalanche and certainly deserves to be a candidate for the Jack Adams, but, at the same time, he has a far more talented team than Michel Therrien has. The difference in the two clubs’ records is seven victories, which seems to me a pretty accurate reflection of the difference in talent level. What has Roy won so far as a coach? One Memorial Cup, the same as Therrien.

Even if Roy wins the Jack Adams this year, as he probably will, I think we should wait a while before anointing him a saint or a saviour or whatever. How is last year’s Jack Adams winner doing? Where is his team in the standings? It’s one thing to have a great season, possibly quite another to do it again.

In his second stint with the Habs, Therrien has the third best coaching record in the East, behind only the Bruins and Penguins, both of which are much more talented teams. This means that he not only had one very good year, but he’s following it up with another. I’m not saying Patrick Roy isn’t a good coach, just that I think we’re being a little hasty in assuming that he would do better with this team than Therrien is doing.

BTW, this does not mean I think we’ll win tonight’s game. I don’t.

• Ian Cobb says:

JF, your post is very close to what i think about St. Patrick and his club. But the biggest difference other than the 14 point difference in the standings, is that Patrick’s boy’s have bought lock stock and barrel into his way of playing the gun and shoot, with a full court press. Therrian’s boys are still a little confused on what type of game to play! Give away’s by the bushel, icing 10 times a period and face offs lost consistently. We have a lot of trouble staying on the offense and scoring goals when we give them the puck.
      All that being said, we win tonight, 4 to 3 !!

• JF says:

Ian – I don’t think it’s confusion. I think Therrien adjusts the game plan depending on the team we face. Roy doesn’t. His team is good enough that they can play a fast, all-out attacking game every night. We just don’t have that kind of talent. People assume that because Roy is being so successful with the Avalanche this year, he would do just as well with the Habs. All I’m doing is questioning that assumption. I also think Therrien does not receive enough credit for how well the Habs are doing.

• CJ says:

Hi JF. I really enjoy your posts and this one is no different.

I agree that Colorado has a better collection of talent. All the while, they are playing in a better conference. Additionally they are younger and bigger, complementing their skill with aggression. So, in saying that, why are we as fans so reluctant to part with some (not all) of our veteran players?

Do we think Gionta is going to get better next season? Markov? Murray or Bouillion? I understand the urge to win now. I agree. I want to win now to, but at some point we need to introduce some youth into this lineup. There is something to be said for experience, but if not now, than when? Without looking it up, is there an older defence in the league than ours? On Saturday night we had PK and Emelin under 30, than Murray under 35, followed by Weaver, Markov and Bouillion. I understand when Bergevin indicates that Weaver was signed as insurance, but why cash the policy if there are resources within?

I’m not suggesting we try and turn over the entire team in one season.
      It’s a process that is going to take time. Our success in the future however will come on the backs of our younger players, not our veterans. Youth is the future of sports. Hockey just happens to be one of the last sports to react. Veterans IMO, provide insulation. With few exceptions (Mary St. Louis), the best players in the league are 30 and under.

I don’t mean to be such a wet rag. As I indicated earlier today, I am confident with the general direction in which we are headed. As previously noted I worry that Bergevin is perhaps a little too hesitant to let go of some older gents at the end of their careers, and make way for the youth. In fairness I don’t know if bergevin was trying to make deals and nothing materialized, so my observation can best be described as casual. However, for those who don’t get to see then often, Colorado is a good young team.

Having said that, I hope Montreal wipes the mat with them tonight….

Enjoy the game everyone! Cheers, CH

• JF says:

Hi CJ – Thanks! I also enjoy your posts.

I agree with everything above, and it would surprise me very much if Bergevin himself doesn’t. But, as you say, it’s going to take time.

When we were mired in our big slump, I was half hoping we’d fall out of the playoff race so Bergevin could seize the opportunity to sell off veterans like Gionta and stock up on picks and prospects. I posted a long piece one day detailing who we should trade, even including Markov. Since then, I’ve re-thought what I said about Markov. I think he’s still too valuable to trade. We have no one ready to replace him (hopefully Beaulieu will be able to in a couple of years), so would be forced to trade or turn to free agency.

Bergevin believes in having a lot of depth and a lot of insurance,which partly explains why he keeps some of the veterans around and why, for example, he signed Davis Drewiske and picked up Mike Weaver. He also believes in the importance of veterans, and I have to agree. If we turned this team entirely over to the youth, I don’t think they’d do well.

• CJ says:

Good points. I agree, it will take time. With respect to Beaulieu, I think he is ready now. That’s my opinion and I respect others. If we ask him to wait another 2 years I think he’ll be gone.

He is the unique talent who’s game is better in the NHL than the AHL. He reminds me of those kids in public school who end up in the mixed class (I came from a small town, so not sure if this exists elsewhere) like grade 4/5. Some kids struggle when they are not challenged. Beaulieu seems like that to me.

I too felt the same way about our team and the trade deadline. I can never bring myself to cheer against our team, but I would not have been terribly disappointed if we dipped in the standings long enough to move expiring contracts for future assets. Now that we are committed to wining today, I’ve shifted gears and am pressing for the best possible lineup.

Again, I thank you for the courtesy of this exchange. Enjoy the game! Cheers, CJ

• JF says:

I agree that Beaulieu is NHL ready now, but I doubt he’s ready to replace Markov. Still too raw, and by all accounts too immature. t’s one think to be ready to play defence in the NHL, another to be able to replace a top defenceman.

• 24 Cups says:

Jane- Roy went to Colorado at the perfect time. I’m sure he’s made an impact but all the pieces were there ready to be utilized.

As for coach of the year, my vote would go to Cooper in Tampa Bay.

Personally, I can’t wait for Thursday by which time all this Roy hoopla will have thankfully come to an end.

• JF says:

Steve – I agree that Roy went to Colorado at the perfect time. If you remember, he was offered the job a few years earlier, but turned it down.

I forgot about Jon Cooper in Tampa.

• scamorza says:

Agree with most here but no one had Colorado being as good as they are and if not Patrick or the assistant coaches but their d are playing much better than the talent on paper

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Thoughts at large says:

Would a saint or a saviour pout because he perceived others were given preferential treatment, walk out on his teammates and blame others while taking no responsibility for his own actions?

67. johnnylarue says:

If I go on the record as saying there’s no way in hell we’re winning this game, will I finally, FINALLY be recognized as the hockey genius I am after tonight’s spectacular loss?

68. Lafleurguy says:

“I can’t really heard what Jeremy said, ’cause I have my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ear.”

69. Danno says:

Missed it by .3 seconds!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

70. Maksimir says:

I got a bad feeling about this game.

71. habs11s says:

Wow, it’s the 70th game already, this season has flew by!

_____________________________________________________________

72. zephyr says:

mt has to feel some pressure here. most people look at roy & wish he was our coach so losing to him will hurt even more.
    I hope our boys work hard 2nite & get a few breaks. they haven’t been getting many other than the last 4 mins of the sens game.

73. Saintpatrick33 says:

First? As much as I love the Habs I hope St. Patrick schools Mikey.

• zephyr says:

bite ur tongue.

• RockinRey says:

Agree! Cant be a true Habs fan. When the Habs win its in spite of MT!

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Been a Habs fan all my life but their mismanagement sickens me. They hire management based on language then fail to hire Patrick Roy when we had the chance. I hate MT and the more games we lose the faster he’s given the boot.

• RockinRey says:

i see

——————————————————————————————————
            You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Cal says:

Ah, an Avs fan then. Makes sense.

74. johnnylarue says:

I think you are drastically overlooking Andrei Kovalenko’s Adams-Division-leading Corsi/Fenwick score from that ’95-’96 season.

Also have it on good authority that “Marty” Rucinsky was “absolute dynamite” in the room (Oleg Petrov’s words, not mine.)

So…

75. Thomas Le Fan says:

Absolutely. I blame Corey for not immediately firing Tremblay (spit) and doing whatever needed to be done to fix the mess including kissing Patrick’s butt on the corner of Atwater and Ste. Catherine and begging forgiveness. But that’s just me.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

76. johnnylarue says:

I believe the Book of Genesis states that, “On the 716th day, God created Corsi/Fenwick…”

That was pretty late in the whole Creation of Everything, but still a long time before the 1990s.

77. johnnylarue says:

So far they’ve all been positive stats… from an Avalanche fan’s perspective.

78. habs-hampton says:

Shhh. He’s working on the Booone reverse jinx!

79. johnnylarue says:

I concede that I probably could have chosen a better simile…

80. SPATS says:

Naw, all good, Candy was awesome! P’s T’s n A’s was a classic… Those aren’t pillows!

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

81. frontenac1 says:

Nobody else available. Parros and Crankshaft are scratched. Liberties will be taken.

82. Frozen Village says:

By whom ?

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

83. GomezForPresident says:

the thing is hes pretty much the only player that gets pulled in defensive situations and he actually played a pretty good game defensively… doesn’t give your young star player too much confidence now does it?

84. SPATS says:

I live 5 minutes from Canadian Tire Center. I can tell you that most Sens fans are under 30 yrs old. Over 30 are Leafs, Bruins and Habs fans – mostly Habs fans. Give em time to mature, they are Gen X with entitled tendencies

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

85. Bugs says:

Three d..?!?!?!
    Go back to Russia, freak!

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

86. Gehlsen says:

Good for you man.

Les Habitant!

87. Good news. Keep it up!

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

88. RiverviewCanadien says:

Umm, don’t agree with all your points, but really, this team has had some new faces for a while now and has maintained the same position for most of the year. Why are you complaining again?

====================================
    Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
    ====================================

89. Agree, agree, agree but until MT is turfed, I fear he will continue to fumble the lines that work and won’t let them build any chemistry.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

90. PureGuava says:

The reason Therrien finds Gionta so appealing is because he relatively low-risk. Gionta doesn’t make mistakes that drive coaches crazy like some of the young players, and when he does it’s shrugged off because he long ago earned his respect in the league. The problem with a low-risk player like Gionta, is that he’s also low reward. Trading risk for comfort is an easy decision for a coach like Therrien and many of his peers. I’m not saying it’s the right decision to make, but I can see why he would make it.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    – Robert Anton Wilson

91. daveho29 says:

Dam scousers!

92. DipsyDoodler says:

If by tearing up you mean they’ll finish 4th, then I agree.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

93. PureGuava says:

Here here!

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    – Robert Anton Wilson

94. CJ says:

With all due respect I think we are seeing a big difference defensively during his absence. I’ll be the first to say that I didn’t regard his loss as anything more than a minor inconvenience, but I have been proven wrong. He is a significant all around upgrade over Weaver and Bouillion and is steadier defensively than Tinordi, Markov or Emelin.

I won’t comment on a prospective captaincy, but in terms of his play, he does hold value.

95. jyates5 says:

That’s a terrible comment, he’s a guy who brings a lot to the table, plays big minutes, is always in the top 2 or 3 in blocked shots in the nhl and almost never gets hurt. Even when he is hurt as we’ve seen with this latest injury, he still battles through it and managed to play a few games with a busted hand, he would make a great captain in my mind. Maybe he’s not offensively inclined, but he still manages around 15-20 points a season. He is a warrior and I would love to see him as our captain next year.

JY – I support Carey Price

96. kalevine says:

it’s playing not to lose. When you aim low your results tend to fall slightly below your aim. But, great night for the team tonight! It’s nice to be able to make a mistake and score the goals to make up for it, instead of falling behind by 1 and having it be all over

97. PureGuava says:

It’s absolutely playing not to lose. Therrien has always had success playing not to lose – not just here, but in Pittsburgh, and in the AHL. He’s coached over 1000 pro games and has an impressive win percentage. It’s hard to argue that he doesn’t get results.

98. “not offensively inclined” is one hell of an understatement. Let’s be honest here, I remember when Gorges was signed to his extension and everyone here was sending him roses, but from my POV he is a shot blocker, stay at home defenceman. He is week on the board, has little speed, no shot, some HIQ and is, wait for it… good in the room… Very traceable and I’d take Tinordi any day over Gorges. Beaully as well!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

99. jyates5 says:

He was not signed to rack up points, he was given that contract to do exactly what he does best: play key defensive minutes, penalty kill, block shots, and be a leader in the room. Pretty decent credentials for a captain, at this point I don’t really see a better option. Tinordi has more potential but atm Gorges is the better option for a stay at home defenseman.

JY – I support Carey Price

100. frontenac1 says:

I Love Priest!! Hell bent for leather!

101. Captain Pike says: