Liveblog: Game 68 – Frankie Boo wins a wild one

CelebrateOtt

This is why we love hockey

With 3:22 left in the game, your Montreal Canadiens were dead in the water.

They trailed 4-1, and Ottawa goaltender Robin Lehner was a wall.

Then Lars Eller scored his first goal since Jan.2.

A little over a minute later, Brian Gionta made it a one-goal game.

With the Senators shorthanded and Crey Price off for an extra attacker, David Desharnais tied the game with a fraction of a second left.

P.K. Subban assisted on all three goals.

And Francis Bouillon – of all people – won it in OT.

Game of the Season!

Wowza!

And Francis Bouillon's first goal of the season wins it.

Craziest game EVER!

Three goals in three minutes.

P.K. assists on all of 'em.

Wow!

On to OT

Sens take lead

After the visitors had a go-ahead goal disallowed because of interference on Carey Price, Zack Smith was sprung in alone by an exquisite pass from Erik Karlsson.

Smith's shot dribbled through Price's legs and he poked it in.

Ottawa outshot the Canadiens 16-9.

Scoring woes persist

Daniel Brière scored on the first shot of the game.

Robin Lehner stopped the next 16 shots he faced.

Jason Spezza beat Carey Price with Ottawa's first shot, after Lars Eller blew coverage on the Ottawa trailer.

Canadins outshot the Senators 17-4.

But it's tied.

Mutual urgency

Your Montreal Canadiens have lost three in a row and have fallen behind Toronto and Tampa Bay in the Atlantic Division standings.

Ottawa is chasing Philadelphia, Detroit, New Jersey and Washington for a wild-card playoff spot.

Both teams need a win, which should make for a lively Saturday evening at the Bell Centre.

And Carey Price is back!

This is the fourth of five games between the teams this season. The Canadiens lost 4-1 in Ottawa on Nov. 7 and 4-3 in Overtime at the Bell Centre on Jan. 4. They beat the Senators 5-4 in OT at the Canadian Tire Centre on Jan. 16.

The Canadiens can't score – seven goals over their last five games, 29th in the league in 5-on-5 scoring – and coach Michel Therrien is still tinkering with line combinations after 67 regular-season games.

Trade Deadline acquisition Thomas Vanek will play on his less-favoured right side with David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty, while Brendan Gallagher rejoins Lars Eller and Alex Galchenyuk. Daniel Brière is the latest addition to the Tomas Plekanec-Brian Gionta duo. The fourth line will be Travis Moen, Brandon Prust and Dale Weise.

1,679 Comments

1. Prop says:

I guess Toker’s bus got a phone call to deviate to Buffalo if Price is staying in Montreal?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

2. Storman says:

Hamilton wins 2-1 in a shootout, Robert Mayer stopped 9 of 9 Syracuse shooters in the shootout, which also means Hamilton shooters were 0 for 8 until Mike Blunden ended the game.

3. SC-24 says:

some people actually think that was a good win are you ever in for more disappointments.
    How long did the EGG line last, Eller scored because Gionta took Gallaghers place on the right wing (what a joke)

This team is a joke!!!

4. Harditya says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 2m
    Therrien, laughing, on Subban’s magical pass to DD for equalizer: “With 1 second left, he made the right play, I guess!” #Habs #HabsIO

Cmon MT ;) give him a little love haha

5. kempie says:

I was all ready to come in here and shred Therrien and Daigneault tonight. But, in light of the last 4:00 of the game, I’ve decided to just chill, pour another one and bask in the afterglow.

But, just to be clear, I still need to see those two in my office in the morning.

6. Nilan25 says:

How on earth does a coach with last change let the same people be on for every goal? Unacceptable. Made a mistake not firing this guy months ago.

7. habzfan2003 says:

Any1 who botched seeing this epic comeback by throwing in the towel… Fear not! You can basque in this game’s glory over and over by watching it in its entirety by going to:

P.S it’s not posted yet.

8. Hugh Jass says:

I love the idea of Price not traveling to Buffalo. When you have a mental midget like John Scott roaming the ice and the sh*ttiest team in the league having nothing to lose, it could get ugly.

I’ll be there with my wife and 3 year old son. Already have him telling her (we live in Buffalo) “Go Habs Go.” She’s not thrilled.

9. Say Ash says:

Best one since the Rangers game

10. Psycho29 says:

Have Scrotchland1, Scrotchland2 or Timo been by tonight? I mean after the big win?

• D Mex says:

The 3 wise men / jokes.
      Someone mentioned they’re stewing out back – trying to figure out how to make lemons out of sweeet strawberry milkshakes …
      :-) :-D :lol:

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

11. Lafleurguy says:

Subbie led all skaters with 28:55 TOI, Markie Markov 27:10, Karlsson 26:00. Coach is listenin’ to my advice.

12. B says:

Habs had 48 shots on goal, 13 missed shots and 25 blocked shots for 86 shots taken overall.

–Go Habs Go!–

13. Lafleurguy says:

Great game Davey, Cap’n, P.K. So Eller pots one before Vanek, cool! Going to enjoy the moment. Sabres are NOT a sure thing i.e. two-points-in-the-bag. Always cheered for this loveable team, but I enjoyed the 6-5 shootout win last year over the Bruins in Boston more: 3-5, Gallagher deflects the puck off Seidenberg’s face and swats the rebound past Rask. 8.2 seconds left, Markov let’s go a slapper and Chara deflects it in. 12 shooters in the shootout and Gallagher’s the only one to score. This year, too many 4-1 losses to Fla., Calgary, Devils; and 6-0 losses to Kings and Blues and 4-0 to Sharks. Get hot, Habbies, and take us for a playoff ride.

14. Habcouver says:

… so I shut the TV off at 4-1 to do laundry and ….
    What the front door????

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

15. boing007 says:

That was one for the ages. Shades of Desjardins in ’93.

Richard R

16. B says:

Desharnais won 19 of 26 faceoffs tonight.

–Go Habs Go!–

17. CHasman says:

I’m watching the game with a buddy who is not really a hockey fan. When the score was 4-1 late in the the third he wanted to call it quits. (I actually did too.) But I told him tongue in cheek that Montreal was going to come back and force OT. Now he thinks I’m the greatest hockey mind ever. Me, I think I had one beer too many and when I wake up in the morning I’ll be wondering if “The Comeback” actually happened.

18. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

When Therrien talks it sounds like he has broken chewed crackers in the back of his mouth

19. SherbrookeW says:

Hey etcheverry92: you really need to spend more time watching the sport of ice hockey, and less with your head up your rear end. ALL of the calls, without exception — the penalty against Markov, the last second goal, the fact that Vanek was umistaeably pushed into the goalie, the obvious failure to freeze the puck in overtime– were plainly, inarguably, absolutely correct. Any whining is just whining.

Habs Since ’68

This is exactly how a well played YO-YO feels like!

21. Max says:

Hey Wilford Brimley,no extra mackarel for you tonight.

We just put Ottawa out of the play offs, like they did to us last year!

23. montrealtilldeath says:

Price did not quit when down 4 to 1. Saved 3 breakaways in 3rd. If one more goes in it is over. PK did not quit either. He reminded me of Larry Robinson putting the team on his back in the 3rd. This is what you expect from your 2 top players. Leadership.

24. mfDx says:

For a laugh, you should do a quick scroll through the comments posted between 8:30 and 9:30.
    Apocolyptic.

Sent from my CHphone

25. mrhabby says:

The calls and non calls were just hideous by the refs. Bush league.

Sure hope Tokarski starts tomorrow night, now that Price is staying home for more repairs!

27. Loop_Garoo says:

Four goals in about six minutes, been a long time since we’ve seen that from this team!

Looks like a 2000 comment night! And they are all going to say the same thing! What the —- just happened!!

Therrian had them right where he wanted them all along. Never doubt this great coach!!

What did I just say ??

29. Ring of Fire says:

Well I wasn’t going to be to harsh with my post (too small,same old same old) if they lost but wtf! Incredible win,hope this can get them rolling….plus this will make more fun going to game tomorrow in the B-Lo….Sens can’t complain about interference..Vanek was pushed in to Lehner….like to see more of Briere though

The Thin Blue Line.

30. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Dear Senators,

That’s why you play until the whistle.

Yours truly,
    Hockey Karma

31. WindsorHab-10 says:

When Eller made it 4-2 Craig Simpson said this game is not over yet. I must admit I had a good laugh when he said it.

32. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I can’t believe Spezza basically slashed the leg of a ref and got away with it. If that was an “accident”, then Timo’s the next GM…hopefully the refs remember how the Turds treated them tonight.

33. Black Horse says:

The only goal Price was rusty on was the one which went through his legs.

34. Habilis says:

“Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNICMacLean says the explanation given for the winning goal to Jason Spezza was “it was too loud.”"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That’s the greatest reason I’ve ever seen.

35. Old Bald Bird says:

Carey apparently not making the trip to Buffalo. Don’t know the details.

36. Haberoooo13 says:

MT stating in the presser that CP not making the trip to Buffalo tomorrow…there’s a smart coaching decision!

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

37. Max_Hab_Fan says:

Great effort and heart tonight. No give up in their game. I like the new line of Galchenyuk, Eller and Gionta. They needed some leadership and a veteran presence. Hopefully they will play again as a line tomorrow. Vanek will come around. He had 5 or 6 shots tonight and crashed the net on the tying goal. We win with Weisse. Strange, but it works. Weaver out and Tinordi in. Do it MT!

38. Mavid says:

Timo needs to get a DD and Frankie poster and kiss them several times

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

39. B says:

Eller looked to be really struggling early on, but the coach stuck with him and he ended up getting a goal and an assist. Let’s hope that helps his confidence going forward.

–Go Habs Go!–

40. CJ says:

Carey Price not making the trip to Buffalo. Call ups to come….

41. D Mex says:

Et maintenant, c’est le point de presse de Michel Therrien …

NICE job tonight, Coach :
    Hung in there, Kept your emotions in check, Stayed calm …
    NICE job ! … :-P

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

42. jimmy shaker says:

And that’s why I hate watching CBC. Simpson is a loser saying there should’ve been a quick whistle. But when the ref is in perfect position, can see that Lehner doesn’t know where the puck is or have it covered, he is right not to call it dead. What the heck is wrong with these jabroni’s! I was pleasantly surprised at how well there stripes were tonight!

P.S. was there ever a doubt? Not by me! (Ya right)

Shaker out!

43. habs-hampton says:

I didn’t see Vanek much in the last 10 minutes or OT. Did I just miss him?

44. chesterfiled says:

Whoa! As much as I respect the ottawa coach moustache, I abhor that drama queen since the playoffs last year for his comments to the media after the Eller hit. Bad karma repaid. Too bad it was not a playoff game. After the hand dive motion he gave to refs, like Torterella gives, I was uselessly willing a tying goal and overtime win. Am admitting to being weary, is this team suddenly gelling or is it a fatty stew going cold? Still, super fun finish! Go Habs go!

45. Mavid says:

Somewhere around the second period my hubby was making sucking noises…hahaha

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

46. Mike D says:

The pic on TSN’s homepage right now is PERFECT!

Have a look: http://www.tsn.ca/

Classic PK!

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

47. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MT probably saw his job pass in front of his eyes with that terrible PP before the comeback. By far the most relieved person tonight.

48. SC-24 says:

Did Vanek play tonight.

49. danhabsfan says:

Price may have been (understandably) rusty at the beginning, but do you realize how many breakaways he stopped.

50. Mavid says:

I can honestly say that was one of the best wins of the season..I hate the sens and I am extremely happy that they are pissed..looks good on them. Oh sure they will whine and complain about the refs just like they always do..but that is pretty much the dagger in their season fitting that we did It. I am a happy girl, my hubby not so much

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

51. habfaninottawa says:

Wtf just happened?

52. Sportfan says:

SO MANY SENS RAGED it was fantastic

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

53. johnnylarue says:

Really couldn’t ask for a better opportunity to end this slump than a date with the Buffalo Bottom Feeders immediately following a comeback like that one.

I’m looking for a regulation win tomorrow night. (Let’s be serious here.)

54. habs-hampton says:

I can’t wait to hear the bug-eyed walrus after this one!

55. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If the Senators want to be mad at someone, be mad at the GM. He traded Bishop away for a useless smurf. Good luck with Lehner…he sucks.

56. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hopefully, we get another win with moi in attendance!

57. ari says:

the best part was my friend who was giving me shit still watching the game. hope will be start the a few w in a row

58. SherbrookeW says:

Will all the posters who were whining and surrendering and talking about how Gionta was too small and Deharnais too tiny and gutless and Eller had no heart promise– I mean really promise now– to shut up for good and all and learn to watch hockey?

Habs Since ’68
    Will

59. Dust says:

Man don’t most of you have egg on your face. F yeah go habs go. Go MT. Go take your tank and shove it

60. Thurston says:

Canadiens were EXTREMELY fortunate to get one point tonight but end up with two.
    The only downside is that Therrien will use the OT goal as an excuse to give Frankie Bouillon more ice time.

61. Coach K says:

I bet Rob Ford prays every night for a comeback like that lol!

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

62. Loop_Garoo says:

Gotta feel good for Eller, no matter how bad its been he always works hard, one goal and one assist in two minutes during that comeback has to help him a bit. Hopefully this is the shot the team needed to get back on track. There is enough talent there to make the playoffs, and at least win one round. At least this is a start.

63. WindsorHab-10 says:

Happy for Vanek. May be winning his first game will relax him a bit.

64. hab1024 says:

Obviously a leaf fan saying get the calls refs. …really?

65. jamman says:

With the tough stretch were goin through this is exactly what we needed! So glad my dad got to see this game live cheers folks lets get high!

66. Gehlsen says:

I just missed it all…I shouldn’t of given up. I’ll go eat crow now.

Les Habitant!

67. DominicanHab says:

Now that is a game that can turn a season around!

Hopefully this is the end of our slump. And if it is, I am glad it happened now and not right at the end of the season. Now we have some time to right the ship and go into the playoffs on a hot streak.

Ps, long time reader but first time poster. I finally got my act together and signed up

68. Mike D says:

Someone bring Mavid an extra pair of undees! She’s likely enjoying this more than all of us!

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

69. expat_habsfan says:

Gr8 comeback but I couldn’t see this happening against the Bs.

70. Ron says:

Timo Timo Timo what shit will you weave with this outcome

71. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

This was not a normal comeback. The Habs were in a midst of a free fall and if they lost, the momentum might have taken them down further. Ottawa is done now…too bad. BTW how many breakaways did Price stop? The “under-rated” hero of the night.

72. Max says:

I think we all don’t mind giving the Senaturds a point considering how the game ended.

73. 4m3y2j says:

Well,I’ll be a hypoctite-OMFG,that is the wildest game I have ever seen,crazier than the New Jersey or Pittsburg games earlier this year.
    Hopefully this kickstarts a major turnaround and rights this ship .
    john slattery

74. mrhabby says:

Lots posters on here have never heard the expression..it’s never over till its over…shameful on ya.

Can’t stand that punk Neil.