Liveblog: Game 65 – Coyotes maul Canadiens 5-2

PKPhoenix

Vanek didn't help

The Canadiens' prize acquisition had a quiet night in Phoenix.

So did most of Thomas Vanek's new teammates.

Third-period goals by Radim Vrbata and Keith Yandle blew open a close game and sent the Canadiens to down to their second defeat of the road trip.

The goal was Vrbata's second. The Coyotes also got goals from Lauri Korpikoski and Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

Andrei Markov, with his sixth, and Alex Galchenyuk's 12th, on a 5-on-3 power play, scored for the Canadiens.

The Canadiens outshot Phoenix 26-23.

Third-period collapse

Radim Vrbata, with his second of the game, and Keith Yandle, on a Phoenix power play, blew open a close game.

PP clicks

A 5-on-3 power play got the Canadiens back in the game.

Alex Galchenyuk tipped a P.K. Subban shot past Mike Smith to narrow Phoenix's lead to one goal.

The Canadiens also had a goal disallowed when it was ruled David Desharnais had interfered with Smith.

In a reversal of first-period fortunes, the Canadiens outshot the Coyotes 11-1.

Smoked!

The game was barely two minutes olf when Radim Vrbata got the home team on the board, deflecting a point shot by David Schlemko.

Andrei Markov tied it up with a drive that was so hard they needed the Hubble telescaope for the video review.

Lauri Korpikovski restored Phoenix's lead with another deflection, this time of a Mark Stone shot, with Lars Eller in the penalty box .. again.

And with only seconds left, Oliver Ekman-Larsson beat Budaj with another long drive.

Phoenix outshot the Canadiens 15-7.

Thomas Vanek played six shifts and was on for Ekman-Larsson's goal.

Vanek makes debut

The Canadiens trade-deadline acquisition will be in the lineup against the Coyotes Thursday night in Phoenix (actually Glendale, if you want to be persnickety), where the Coyotes have not beaten the Canadiens since 1998.

On their last visit to the desert, in November, 2011, the Canadiens won 3-2 in Overtime. Josh Gorges, of all people, potted the winner.

The Canadiens are coming off one of their most exciting games of the season. The team blew a 2-0 lead in Anaheim Wednesday night before Andrei Markov, of all people, blasted the puck past Jonas Hiller in the sixth round of the Shootout.

Fans – and the Ol' Blogger – get a bit of a break on the time difference Thursday ..

Puck drops 9:10ish at the Jobing.com Arena.

Check back later for live game blogging.

1. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Unable to watch the game. What number is Vanek?

2. slapshot777 says:

Same stupid refs from last night I see

3. DipsyDoodler says:

What a play by PK and Marky.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

4. BigB says:

Phx skating well.
    Unlucky bounce for us!

5. habsfan1001 says:

What a goal

6. Et le but says:

Two great dekes by PK set up that goal

7. Clay says:

Goal. No question.

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

8. PrimeTime says:

GOAL!!!

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

9. slapshot777 says:

That puck hit the post then the middle bar and out.

10. Storman says:

That looked in especially by the reaction of Mike Smith

11. Texus says:

Et le butttttt!!! :D

12. Fansincebirth says:

Review coming I think it was in

13. Prop says:

I guess no review on that?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

14. Et le but says:

That was in

15. danhabsfan says:

I thought that went it

16. UKRAINIANhab says:

Where is PK!???

17. Texus says:

Crickey what is it with the refs and Gallagher? This is getting out of hand…

18. Et le but says:

HUGE saves

19. Prop says:

Alright Buddy, keep it together.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

20. Fansincebirth says:

Crap call…

21. Habcouver says:

I’d rather hear the Coyote howl than that dumb “Hoooooo” at Rogers Arena.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

22. Danno says:

Really?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

23. Mondou6 says:

Oh good. We have the same refs from last night it seems.

24. Et le but says:

Very important kill here trailing early

25. danhabsfan says:

Not a good start

26. Commandant says:

This is why possession matters. You call that a weird goal, but if puck isn’t in your end all the time weird can’t happen, see Doug Murray and how horrid the team’s puck possession is when he is on the ice.

27. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Vanek’s a bust!!

28. Et le but says:

Get it right back boys!

29. Da Hema says:

What’s this I hear that Boone is starting an advice column called “Dear Mike Boone?” Is he offering advice on how to buy the right bong?

30. DipsyDoodler says:

Any word on Carey Price?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

31. Mondou6 says:

Well.

That went well.

32. danhabsfan says:

Up and over the goalie

33. frontenac1 says:

Go Habs! Everyting be Irie mon!

34. Prop says:

Jeez…another weird one.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

35. Mr_MacDougall says:

Love the Phx Burgundy, wish they’d replace the white with tan…

We need an all green team, pants socks and jersey… Not Hartford green.. But UPEI panther green…

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

36. PrimeTime says:

Crappy HD on RDS Or I need to get my eyes checked

********************************************************

37. danhabsfan says:

Ok, at least these games are getting earlier, haha

38. PrimeTime says:

Budaj Budja. who dat guy, Budaj!!

********************************************************

39. SmartDog says:

19 Tims. No winners. WTF?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

40. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’d prefer TV – Briere – Chucky. Gives us two scoring lines and a shut down line that can score too.

41. Storman says:

Gerhard Berger & Niki Lauda new subscribers to HIO

42. jols says:

Sabres beating Lightning 2-0 in 2nd and the nightmare continues in Vancouver- 3-0 Dallas in 1st…

43. Prop says:

Jobbing arena…

A referees haven.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

44. UKRAINIANhab says:

Plekanec will light this up with Vanek!

45. Harditya says:

Chemistry exam tomorrow.. but I just have to see Vanek’s debut.. oh man.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Hardest exam ever as well. Other than Physics.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Corporate Finance Capital Budgeting was my Mt Everest…

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Harditya says:

Nice! Every field is equally as tough to excel in. You just need to have the same drive Gally does on the ice haha.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Excel… That was tough, but when I worked for the Gov my coworker and I created ‘The Percentometer’ (we named it) which tracked the percentage of work day, work week, work life (based on retirement at 55 and 50) complete… Wait, remaining… So,every Wednesday around noon he’d yell woo-hoo over the cubicle divider…

Apologies for the misuse of your tax dollars bahahaha

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

46. UKRAINIANhab says:

GHG

47. Evenin’ all. Might change my avatar from a smurf after Dubby, Vanek, Weise, Tinordi added. However, I’m confounded why Moen is playing if we have Weise? At least Weise can skate and score. Weise, with White and Eller? That would be a great and dangerous 4th line, with size and grit. Moen plays like he’s 5’10” and has hands of clay

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

48. 2014 Norris Trophy winner, "Dan Hamhuis"! says:

A little pre game music to get me in the mood. And you all guess it. A little Dream Weaver. Brings back memories of High School.

49. Mr_MacDougall says:

People complaining about the winter below.. C’mon! I worked 45 days straight 45km south of Fort Mcmurray outside all day… 4 layers + hoodie + helly Hanson suit = tropical ;)

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• 2014 Norris Trophy winner, "Dan Hamhuis"! says:

Hey Mac, I have lived in Fort McMurray all of my life, (I am 47), and this is one of the coldest winters I can remember in a long time.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Really, I though January was a breeze.. Only a couple days colder than -35… Last year I was past Ft McKay and it was much colder

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mr_MacDougall says:

However, last year I was on a quad and this year on foot.. I was working in -30 without gloves.. Gotta know how to dress.. Cold is only an issue for those that are unprepared hahah

Back in PEI and it was -20 today, don’t really mind it. +1 tomorrow.. Nephew has the day off school head out to my folks and hit the outdoor rink!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Yeah, it’s a balmy 21 degrees in NY and my wife is whining about how cold it is. I’m walking around with a t-shirt. I hear yah. They grow us heartier in Canada eh?

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• PrimeTime says:

Try living with my Ex!! Brrrr…

********************************************************

50. Psycho29 says:

@ Dunboyne Mike…you lost your reply button below! That D Mex is a real card!

My Dad left Belfast in his teens , he lived on Springfield Road. I got to visit there with him in 1994 a couple of years before he passed away at 88. Great memories. Stayed in Bangor also, beautiful coastal town.
    He lost his accent but had all those old Irish sayings…

• D Mex says:

… holy sh!te !
      Marked car in my driveway, 2 uniforms banging on the door.
      Yelling loudly – something about ‘ reply buttons ‘ :?:

Call off the dogs Psych, call off the dogs …
      H-E-L-P !!!
      :oops:

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great stories. I know Bangor, also Donaghadee just down the road. Such a funny name!
      I left Montreal in my teens — you’ll have to ask Burly and Lafleurguy about my accent.
      I also went on the road with my Dad during his last return to Ireland before he died (my parents emigrated to Canada in time for me to be born there).
      Cheers

(And c’mon, D Mex! Of course you can join us for stout in Dublin. So just give me my button back!)

51. CH Marshall says:

YEEEOOOWCH gorges scratched?

52. Mondou6 says:

This is the most excited I’ve been for a game in long time!

Too bad it’s a West Coast game, I can’t wait for Vanek to be unveiled at the Centre Bell.

I like PK with Tinordi too. Funny to think of PK being the elder one.

53. showey47 says:

Weaver sporting the breezers old #43. FULL WEAVER?

54. Storman says:

Did anyone wear the C for the Rangers yesterday..

55. Habcouver says:

Off topic a bit, but does Gary Wright get royalties every time Dream Weaver was played in Off The Cuff?
    We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

56. Habilis says:

I have wanted to see Tinordi and Subban together since training camp. IMO, they are the perfect complimentary pair. One’s a hammer, the other’s a scalpel. Should be fun to watch.
    Oh yeah, and that Vanek guy too.

• Storman says:

Sounds like something you would hear in the g.. village..

• Dunboyne Mike says:

In fact, about 90% of posts here could be re-interpreted that way!

• Storman says:

Actually quite true Mike ,, lol, should have an alert button before hitting send

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Storman, go back and read some of the wish-list posts from yesterday’s tradedeadline exchanges! Hilarious! There’s a certain type of hetero who would rather DIE than have anyone wonder for even a single micro-second whether he might be gay. They consequently are accustomed to maintaining a continuous effort to radiate straightness (and never wear pink). Then something IMPORTANT like tradedeadline comes up and all that caution evaporates in the interests of quick and concise communication! Some of yesterday’s posts would make fantastic t-shirts!

57. JohninTruro says:

Boone, you didn’t answer my question below, I’m a little disappointed. Who is your guess that Vanek is playing with?

58. theox_8 says:

Tickets for tonight’s game in Edmonton are at 9 usd on stub hub .

59. Maritime Ronn says:

You have to feel bad for the Phoenix players.
    Not only do they have the worst home attendance in the NHL, at 13,200, they are also the worst draw on the road.

Looked at Stubhub earlier today, and multiple tickets could be had for $9.89. (No typo)

60. BigB says:

Ladies and gents
    There are many more habs jerseys here than coyotes!!!!!!! Go habs :)

61. Storm Man says:

So who is going to lead the charge in the dressing room tonight?

62. Psycho29 says:

Is D Mex around?
    I think he stole the reply button on my computer also.
    ;-)

63. SlovakHab says:

- Really liking the Vanek acquisition. Should increase our chances to see exciting hockey this season
    – Like the lines. Not perfect, but looking good.
    – What’s up with Eller? Been my favourite Hab for a while, but he is struggling this season. He definitely has the talent. Before we ship him out for a 3rd rounder, we should definitely try him on a scoring line once again. Come on! He was one of the best Habs last season. Give him something… Galchenyuk and Borque on his wings would be a good start. Or re-unite EGG line again.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Echoing your thoughts on Eller.
      We are terrible and we don’t learn! Players slump, then they play well.
      Exhibit A — DD.
      If we trade them before they come out of the slump, they turn into John Leclair.
      Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow…. I can’t even type it without the residual pain flaring up.

64. careysubban3176 says:

Is Tinoridi really playing with subban or are you guys just suggesting it?

I just love the look of those palm trees.

Sure beats the worst winter in recent memory. Even my golden, Faith, doesn’t want to go out for a walk.

Last time Phoenix defeated Montreal was Dec 9, 1998.

• CJ says:

Jobbing.com arena is one of the best I’ve been to. Phoenix is a huge city. It’s actually the biggest (territorially) in North America. From my in laws place it’s over an hour to Glendale at 70mph across the city. There will be a lot of Habs fans tonight. I hope they are treated to a win!

• JohninTruro says:

My bro is in Phoenix for work for a few days and isn’t able to make it to the game tonight, he isn’t a Habs fan but he is still disappointed. I couldn’t handle missing it, wouldn’t be an option for me.

• CJ says:

Agreed. My inlaws flew in yesterday. They talked about going but I don’t know what they decided. It would be 100% for me to. I’ve checked out all the sporting venues when I’ve visited. Chase Bank (Diamondbacks) is awesome for a game.

• Mike Boone says:

Horrible winter in Montreal. No end in sight.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• 24 Cups says:

I’m on the wagon, Mike, so it’s a double whammy for me.

I trust all is well with you and yours.

• No.4isNo.1 says:

Hold on I grew up in Montreal and never found out what a terrible season winter could be until I moved to Edmonton. We started with snow back in October and got another 10+ cm. dump today. I’ll take a Montreal winter anyday

Better times are ahead

• frozengolf says:

If you think it’s bad in Montreal, you should have been in Thunder Bay this year! Worst winter in 20 years. If we weren’t getting 10 cm of snow, it would be -30C with a wind chill hovering around -40C. Absolutely brutal!!

_________________________________________________________
        “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

• SlovakHab says:

I’m now surprised many players don’t sign in Montreal then.

• Big Buffy Boat Club says:

Dude, I’m in Winnipeg. You’ve got no idea, it’s taken on absurd proportions. Ice-planet HELL!

———————————————————————————-
        “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.”

66. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Timo
    I left you an urgent message on the previous thread!

• DipsyDoodler says:

For an opportunity that is ideally suited to Timo’s rah-rah optimistic temperament.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

If minimum requirement for the gig is Canadian citizenship, then you should come also. Convert a few hundred adventurous unemployed Irish people then the three of us cross the road to the Horse Show House for many pints. What do you say?

• JohninTruro says:

Mike was your trip over here good? I appreciated the “fly over” shout out.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks John.
            Fantastic trip. Saw all the family, met Burly and Lafleurguy. Best of all, my 10-year-old — who’s only previously been over in summer — had the authentic Canadian winter experience with some skating and shinny, tobogganing, etc. It was wonderful re-experiencing it all through his eyes, and now he knows what I’m talking about with my childhood stories from Montreal.
            The return flight-path took us closer to you but still not quite over NS.
            Cheers

• JohninTruro says:

Haha cool that’s a great story Mike, made me smile. Great to hear about the kid. We can all talk abut things countless times but until someone else sees it or experiences it they never fully understand. That’s a cool experience for you for sure.

• Psycho29 says:

My Dad was born in Belfast. Am I invited?

67. NCRhabsfan says:

Pretty exciting night. A new sniper, a new dman and a couple of highly motivated guys playing for playing time.

68. CJ says:

Carrying a brief comment over from the previous thread, I’ve been checking all day, but haven’t found an update on Tim Bozon. The articles that were linked all shared yesterday’s information. If I come across anything I will update the commentariat. I know he is on a great many of our mind’s. Please consider keeping Tim and family in your thoughts and prayers.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yes indeed re Tim Bozon and family. Hopefully it’s been caught in time.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

CJ, was it yourself and myself proposing a Subban-Tinordi pairing a couple of weeks before the Olympics? It was perceived as a little counter-cultural at the time, as I recall!

• CJ says:

Hi Mike. Yes, we hooked up on that idea. Chris and I were just debating last night what to do with the second unit PP. I argued for Tinordi to get a chance on the second unit ahead of Gorges. I love what 26 does defensively, but he really lacks any offensive upside. Not that Tinordi is anything to write home about offensively, but if we type cast him now, then we run the risk of prematurely extinguishing the flame. This is a major chance tonight. I recall many of us also arguing for Beaulieu to get a game with PK. He looked good in a limited role with PK during his January call up.

In any event, great to exchange ideas with you Mike! It’s always my pleasure. Cheers, CJ

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Back at you, CJ.
          You know who I want on the 2nd PP unit?
          Murray!
          Right up in the crease! Wouldn’t have to skate anywhere!

• CJ says:

That could work. Vanek goes to the net, so this gives us more options and new looks. We needed a refresh. This will help.

• JohninTruro says:

CJ Tinordi will shoot it on the net, Gorges 9/10 rings it around the boards it is so frustrating. It is the “standard defensive defenseman” play. I hate it when D make that play in the men’s league I play in. Throw it on net!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Amen.
            Possession is doubly valuable on the pp.

You know, I thought Emelin looked ok on the point a couple of times, too.

• JohninTruro says:

Mike he did you’re right, the guy shoots the puck. I could live with them both on the point for the 2ns wave although not the fleetest of foot and neither really can carry it over the blue line well. One of Eller, or Galchy maybe on the 2nd pp point position??

• CJ says:

Good post. I’m in favor of giving it a go.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bottom line, I hate it when opposing coaches identify our PP as a one-trick-pony and stifle it accordingly.

• JohninTruro says:

Ya know Mike you look at other scary good PP’s (excluding the Pens which isn’t fair) they always have 2 guys standing in front of the net. As an observer that scares the hell out of me when I see that. It forces both D to stay in front and keeps our extra player always wide open if on the half boards or wherever. We have only ever 1 guy, and often you look and no one is standing in front for long periods of time on the PP. “You two guys go stand in front of the net and don’t move”.

• Habcouver says:

Aside with his promising career, Tim Bozon has some pretty distraught parents looking over him.
      I can’t imagine the pain they are enduring.

Continue to treasure and appreciate your kids, all.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• CJ says:

So true. With two very young boys under my guidance, it certainly hits home. My wife and I are very blessed that both are healthy. I couldn’t imagine what his folks are feeling now. I trust and pray that everything works out. Hockey is secondary. I want him healthy and able to enjoy a full life.

• grey mouse says:

I saw an update from a family friend of the Bozon on another board, and the news aren’t good. He apparently had brain surgery and is currently in a medically induced coma. I do hope with all my heart he pulls through.

69. JohninTruro says:

Subban with Tinordi I like btw

• CJ says:

Big game for both. Big game for Eller. He and Bourque are on the hot seat. Somebody will be in the press box next week. My guess is Bourque ends up odd man out.

• JohninTruro says:

Was good in the playoffs last year, maybe he is saving his game for that. Ever since Orr concussed him he has played gingerly, not been the same player. Other than the 5 playoff games he has been soft, and he is not a soft player.

• CJ says:

Great post. I felt the same way about last season’s playoff. I’ve been waiting all year to see that same energy and consistent performance. Further, I also agree that you can trace issues directly back to the Orr sucker punch concussion.

Thank goodness we still have guys like that in the league. That shift still bothers me.

• JohninTruro says:

I have zero issues with fighting, I enjoy it, and I think it has a place. I don’t agree with the Parros, Orr type guys that don’t have the skill to be in the league. Don’t get me wrong they are still GREAT hockey players, and are leaps and bounds better than any of us on here we can’t forget (though most do). But a fight by a Moen, or a Tinordi, or a Chris Neil, guys who can play the game and add value I can appreciate. Don’t get me wrong I still liked the Parros fight last night, just don’t have a need for him to fill a spot on the team.

• CJ says:

Nilan was one of my favorite players growing up. On the last thread I tossed out the idea of adding Luke Gadzic or Joel Rechlicz as our in house police office next year. I just hated that sequence. He tried to knee Pleks, then caught an unprepared Bourque with a cheap shot.

I get that I’m being entirely hypocritical as I watched Nilan do the same thing, but I like giving much more than receiving. You don’t see teams running around like that anymore. For that, I’m thankful.

70. CJ says:

Looking forward to seeing Tinordi and Subban. Go Habs!

71. JohninTruro says:

Boone, who do you think Vanek slots in with?

72. Da Hema says:

First! What do I win?

73. CJ says:

Sadly, the reports I’ve read are very, very bad. I can’t even bring myself to share. I just read a few posts from family friends (assuming that they are in earnest) and it’s grave. He needs our energy now.

Lend him your prayers folks, I beg of you.

74. Prop says:

Man, that’s just too bad, I really hope he pulls through.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

75. Watch out for the walkers! Oh and bring an inhaler…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

76. Clay says:

Give the guy a chance.

__________________________

77. habs-fan-84 says:

wow.

78. UKRAINIANhab says:

patience?

79. UKRAINIANhab says:

Maybe no one scored on that wing because they were names Briere or Bourque…

80. kalevine says:

it’s not a good choice having Vanek on a de facto checking line. He should be with Eller and Galchenyuk, and stay there for 10 days to get chemistry

81. habsfan0 says:

Rogers wouldn’t like that.

82. UKRAINIANhab says:

Aight

83. RC-51 says:

i think its past your bedtime BB!

84. The Jackal says:

Would help the team if you took a night off ;)

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.