Liveblog: Game 60 – Detroit dominates, wins 2-1 in OT

GallagherWings

A point they didn't deserve

Let's be honest: Salvaging a loser's point flatters your Montreal Canadiens.

In their first game after the Olympic break, the home team stunk out the Bell Centre for long stretches against an Atlantic Division rival.

The ineptitude included a season-low two shots on Jimmie Howard in the second period.

Todd Bertuzzi opened the scoring on a first-period Detroit power play.

With Peter Budaj on the bench for an extra attacker, Brian Gionta tied it at 1-1 with 29 seconds left.

There were 28 seconds left in OT when Gustav Nyquist won it for the visitors.

Detroit outshot the Canadiens 30-20.

They deserved it

The Red Wings lost their lead with 29 seconds left in the third period.

Then they won the game with 28 seconds left in Overtime.

Gustav Nyquist got the game-winner.

At least a ;point

With Peter Budaj on the bench and 29 seconds left, Brian Gionta beat Jimmie Howard to tie the game.

On to OT.

A season low

Five times the Canadiens have been held to three shots on goal in a period this season.

In the second period tonight, TWO SoG.

And the first didn't come until the period was 12:31 old.

Detroit had nine shots. It's 17-9 over 40 minutes.

Just pathetic.

And the crowd is not liking it a bit.

He's been there before

Todd Bertuzzi is no stranger to crease-crashing.

On a Detroit power play, Bertuzzi was softly bumped by Jarred Tinordia and then left to his own devices, which culminated in tipping the puck past Peter Budaj for the only goal of the first period. Old nemesis Daniel F. Alfredsson had one of the assists.

Detroit skated circles around the Canadiens and could have had more – notably when Tomas Tatar undressed Emelin and Douglas Murray.

Shots were 8-7 for the visitors.

The home stretch begins

After a 17-day break for the Winter Olympics, the Canadiens return to action against a team that is chasing them for an Eastern Conference playoff berth.

The Canadiens are third in the Atlantic Division. Detroit is six points back, with a game in hand.

The Red Wings are clinging to a wild-card playoff spot, with Columbus, Washington and Ottawa nipping at their heels.

Olympic Games hero Carey Price has tweaked something south of his beltline and won't play against Detroit or make the trip to Pittsburgh. Peter Budaj starts against the Wings.

Alex Galchenyuk – out since Jan. 8 with a broken hand –  returns to the Canadiens lineup. Defenceman Jarred Tinordi has been recalled from Hamilton.

Fearless prediction: P.K. Subban will play more minutes for coach Michel Therrien than he did for Mike Babcock in Sochi.

• Pre-game reading: A thoughtful take on Canada and hockey

1. monmick says:

You would think that most of these guys haven’t played in 20 days or so…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

2. RockinRey says:

Anyone heard Briere’s name?

3. UKRAINIANhab says:

Nate > Tinman

4. Maritime Ronn says:

Still very early, but PK appears to be off.
    Not good decisions so far

5. RockinRey says:

The blogger is slacking. I didn’t see a montreal lineup with lines but did for Detroit

6. slapshot777 says:

Is Dale Weise Playing tonight?

7. Et le but says:

Happy to have Boone back with us on the HIO blog!

8. monmick says:

Man, the ice looks small…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

9. twilighthours says:

Any way you slice it, chauvinism sucks.

However, I sure am glad I’m canadian!

10. RockinRey says:

Very well sung Montreal

11. Et le but says:

To some of our own posters surprise (and perhaps disappointment) true Montréal fans have a lot of class.

12. monmick says:

Is it just me or is Carey limping?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

13. jols says:

Nice. No boos. Classy.

14. habsfor25 says:

Saw Galchynuk and Gallagher partying it up Saturday night at buonanotte and with two beautiful ladies by their side might I add. Very polite and friendly when greeted even though they look ridiculously drunk, could’ve very easily got us kicked out by their body guard but let us stick around. These guys must be living a great life right now in Montreal. Hopefully they’re not too hungover tonight lol

15. twilighthours says:

Habsfansince72/dipsy,

I often disagree with you, but never more so on your opinion re: cbc2. That’s a great station, all 24 hours of it.

You, sir, are an old man. Embrace your decrepitude.

16. RockinRey says:

Boone. NO lineup for Habs?

17. Et le but says:

Great head of hair Charles…

18. JohninTruro says:

Forgot Tinordi is in tonight, looking forward to that.

19. CJ says:

I can honestly say I have no idea what to expect this evening. I thought I had a pretty good feel for the team before the break, but tonight I really don’t know. I’m cautiously optimistic as this is one of the games we need to win during this difficult stretch to keep our head above water.

Is this the team that suddenly opened up against the Bruins, Nucks and Canes? Or is the team who couldn’t buy a goal during the second half of January?

I’m planted on the couch and look forward to finding out the answer. Enjoy the game everyone! Cheers, CJ

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the 2 most injured teams in the NHL …Pittsburgh and Anaheim

…not-withstanding they are in first place in the East and West, respectively

…screw any trades ! …what Our Team really needs are a few more MCL tears and groin pulls

21. jols says:

Honoring the Olympians next. Are the boo-birds going to serenade Babcock?

22. thehabsfan29 says:

I’d love a player like Kesler in a habs Jersey

Eller + for him?

23. Prop says:

Wow…so Price’s injury is false, and there’s a trade in the works…

Classic. A Halakite’s wet dream.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. RockinRey says:

I will be embarassed for my place of birth if they Boo Babcock. Nothing surprises me with Montreal though.

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…what are the odds in Babcock’s exhilaration upon beating Sweden and winning Gold, flew at Carey knee to the groin :)

26. jols says:

Here we go!!!

Go Habs Go!!!
    It’s been too long!!!

27. w.p.d says:

Boone, what’s your take on this Price ” injury” ?

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…quel surprise ! …Me sees We carbuncles are back to Our bickering ways :)

Hey, maybe they are trading Price :)

30. w.p.d says:

This Price thing stinks like a big turd !!!!

Babcock looks like such a joyful guy. A real life of any party kind of guy.

32. JohninTruro says:

Include or not include the fight McCarron just had tonight?

This sounds like a great PVR wings night. I think I’ll pick two dozen of hot for later tonight. I think my wings record with Habs is something like 0 – 28 but I really want wings, so screw it.

34. RockinRey says:

That’s hockey cutting away to commercial show MSL clip. Grudge holder? I thought he was french…didn’t know he had Irish in him.

35. Marc10 says:

St Louis ‘bolting’ from TB (thank you, thank you…) That would really hurt the Lightning. Stamkos is their superstar and their coach is first rate, but I don’t see that team going far without one of their leaders.

What hurts the Lightning is good for the Habs. I hope he goes out West!

• D Mex says:

You really think this is the behaviour of a leader ?

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Marc10 says:

He’s certainly led from the front on the ice. That’s where true leadership starts for me on a hockey team. The rah-rah stuff is good for the cameras.

If he feels management doesn’t have his back… that’s another story and he’s entitled to let them know about it.

He is known as a ornery guy with huge ego so I can’t say I’m surprised he took the Team C snub personally.

36. RockinRey says:

How do we define success for the this season? For Price? What does this team have to do in the next 2 years to say they are moving in the right direction and making progress? Does Price have to take them to the second round?

Can the Habs get put out in the first round in the next 2 years and be considered making progress???!

37. The Juice says:

If he “aggravated” a lower body injury I’m Sochi that means it was already there. Question is: what and when did it occur?

38. jols says:

TSN really digging into the Price injury. Questioning players and coaches. The coaches new nothing about his injury but all the players knew he was playing injured. They were all really sheepish is their responses, especially Crosby and Luongo. Very funny stuff if it wasn’t our guy.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Must be a slow news day. You would think he’s out for the year…

• smiler2729 says:

TSN should just stick to their Reimer/Bernier/Leafs-are-freaking-awesome stuff.

Betcha Price’s just exhausted

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• jols says:

I like TSN, except for their annoying Leaf bias, I wasn’t bashing them, it was actually an interesting segment. It was on That’s Hockey if anyone wants to see it.

39. AceTen says:

If the habs get Markov signed for the next 2-3 years that gives us at least 3 seasons with a chance at the cup. The way Price is playing anything can happen in the playoffs.

40. DipsyDoodler says:

“Love Tokarski’s nickname: The Toker.”

Is there a single hockey player whose nickname isn’t his last name with the last syllable replaced by -er or -sy?

But yes it’s a cool nickname.

41. RockinRey says:

Wow . Thats hockey pose the question about Price’s injury…and all the TC guys were very hesitant to talk. None of the coaches knew of an apparent injury.

42. Mark C says:

Interesting. Lehkonen has been loaned/rights sold to Frölunda which is Collberg’s team in the SEL.

43. scarboro_habitant says:

i think this price injury is BS. theyre shopping budaj. 2 games to showcase him more.

44. RockinRey says:

Question to the commentariat.

You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• It’s awfully hard to say that the progression (or regression) of a team all comes down to whether it wins a seven-game series in Round 1 of the playoffs.

I think success looks like the progression of young players into young veteran contributors, with a few more pieces being added via trade or FA. Every year, the team has to be a little tougher to play against. If you don’t make the playoffs in an 82-game season, you weren’t unlucky — you just don’t have a great team. But you can certainly lose a playoff series because of a few bad bounces and missed calls.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• RockinRey says:

Can Habs get put out in first round last year, this year and next and be satisfied?

• alain58 says:

That’s why I see the Habs being a contender in 3 years when four rearguards (PK, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn) are leading the way supported with the likes of Gorges and another UFA. Price will still be the dominant goalie that we know and some young guns will be leading the way upfront starting with Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller and Pacioretty.

• RockinRey says:

And others in the Juniors

45. Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

A couple found coins worth 10 million..hell I am going to start digging up my yard in the spring..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

I am on pins and needles… Therrien, DD, Max, Gorges… Oh how I missed you all.

47. shiram says:

On St-Louis, it seems weird to me that shortly after we had his declaration about having a conversation with Yzerman concerning his future in Tampa, it was revealed he had asked for a trade.

They also made him captain last off-season, this is quite the fall off.

Something sounds fishy, and we obviously don’t have all the facts.
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

48. Canadiens 6
    Red Wings 1
    Galchenyuk collects hats!
    Go Habs Go

He’s the toughest man south of the picketwire…..next to me!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

49. RockinRey says:

Who else should the Habs unload before or at the deadline?

50. Cal says:

This is my musical take on PK for any interested:

Let’s hope PK scores 3 and smiles at Babcock all the while.

51. smiler2729 says:

Anybody know a link to watch the game online? I’m in Florida taking a break from the polar vortex crap…

Thanks, we’re jonesing for Habs

PS. Nobody down here cared about the Olympic hockey games either, it’s just not their thing.
    _______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

52. crane says:

Trade Georges,keep Markov
    Get Stewart,Moulson
    Trade Gionta,Bierre,Moen,

53. Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

I guess most of us are guilty of pretending to clairvoyance on this site from time to time. I include myself.

And I only remember how bad a thing it is to do when the subject is a favourite player. Martin St Louis is one. So, even though I’m sure I have been guilty of the exact same kind of thing myself, I would invite Rockinrey and Scotland to cool it on the projection. Like most of us do sometimes, you have bitten hard on a media morsel, extrapolated with reckless abandon upon more unsafe assumptions than you’re even aware of, and made assertions you can’t possibly substantiate.

If or when I ever do the same concerning a player you hold in high regard, please copy&paste the above and throw it right back at me.

St Louis is a great, great player who, as Jackal points out, has more than earned the right to ask for a specific trade. Let’s not pretend we know what various personal and club dynamics have given rise to that request.

Lastly, even though free speech is the rule on HIO, I want to call you, Scotland, on your disparaging remarks — based on nothing more than speculation — concerning a classy player like St Louis. You are, of course, free to make them, as am I to suggest that by doing so you create the impression of someone whose commentary is puerile and shallow.

Notice I’m not saying that’s what you are. I’m saying that’s the impression you create.

• Ron says:

You never give up do you Mike..

• Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

Forgive me. Is there something here I’ve banged on about before?

• Ron says:

Mike there is nothing wrong with putting up a general displeasure in whats posted by any means. IMO by specifically naming people by their site name singling them out is no better. I’m just saying being self righteous can also be shallow if people end up taking it that way.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Um … you just singled him out and named him by name.

• Ron says:

Just making sure he gets the post Dipsy. Did you learn anything new from the site you tried posting today ?

• Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

Yeah but I invited him to!

Ron, is it not all right to re-engage with particular posters if you arrive late to a conversation?

• habcertain says:

does make you wonder, doesn’t it….I thought Mike was in the club and allowed?

• Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

What’s the club?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Ron – did I learn anything ? Some people have interesting fantasy lives.

I also learned that the dime-store Putin who goes around anonymously censoring H I/O is a bit of a prude.

• Ron says:

I’m not sure which one got around to it but they eventually do. You must admit the graphic language was not appropriate for a site that does have younger visitors. Prude or not.

• Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

Thanks, Ron. I take your point about naming posters, although I believe it was justified in this instance. Also appreciate you’re being blunt about self-righteousness: I can live with that perception as the cost of being direct from time to time.

Or, when you say I never give up, are you saying it’s more than time to time? Don’t know what you’re getting at. Cheers

• Ron says:

I should have worded that one liner differently in hind site. By never giving up I ment to challange, engage or in some ways instigate a response from some posters that express their thoughts differently. You say you invited him for some feed back even though it looked like you sort of threw out some bait. Your no more direct than me I guess and maybe I should be holding back. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been told.

• Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

Bah! My “invite” post was late! It was an answer to Dipsy about your post to me!

• RockinRey says:

@Dunboyne. Just a little condescending? Media Morsel? No damage control whatsoever. Kypreos and Mackenzie validated it. There is truth. Cant imagine MTL is upset about the way the injury to Stamkos was handled or any other of the Lightning day to day minutiae. Nobody questioned the right to ask for a trade. We questioned the suck attack comparing it to how any other snubbed player has reacted. Disappointed and they left it at that. There are no other club dynamics at play. It would have to be a real coincidence . And there isn’t!
      MSL should have checked his attitude when the decisions were made.

• Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

Is this the validation you’re talking about?

“There is reason to believe in the immediate aftermath of his Jan. 7 snub from the Canadian Olympic team, in some form or another, St. Louis indicated to the Bolts he may look favorably on a move out of Tampa.”(Mackenzie)

I acknowledge I’m defending MSL because I’m a fan. Nonetheless, you seem to have leapt to a single conclusion from the above report whereas I would more cautiously suggest that there are numerous possibilities.

And I apologise if I seemed condescending which was unintended, Rockinrey. However, I think I will hold to the view that you reacted as Mackenzie hoped you would. That’s why I said you bit.

• DipsyDoodler says:

“I’m not saying that’s what you are. I’m saying that’s the impression you create.”

What are we if not the sum total of the impressions we create?

• Lafleurguy says:

Not sure I’m in the club, but got your back.

54. Phil C says:

The whole MSL suck attack does not make sense. I wonder what the whole story is? Maybe Yzerman promised him something off the record when they signed the last contract? If not, it is a very immature reaction from a full grown hairy-arsed man.

55. Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

Missed you Mr Boone..glad to have you back

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

56. B says:

According to this site, McCarron has 8 OHL fights so far and has not lost yet (5 wins – 3 draws):

–Go Habs Go!–

• johnnylarue says:

Hey, if not losing makes his brain last longer, I’m all for it!

• jols says:

OHL mandated a 10 fight maximum, after that the player get’s suspended. He has been pacing himself nicely, still has 2 to give and only 10-15 games left in the season.

• Mr. Biter says:

Are you serious about a 10 fight Max? Never heard about that one before. What is the suspension?

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• jols says:

!00% on the !0 fight max. It’s a new rule. Not sure about the suspension. I’m sure it is one game for the 11th fight and it increases after that.

• B says:

Supplementary Discipline:

If a player is assessed a fighting major for the 11th – 15th time during the regular season, such player is assessed an automatic two (2) game suspension for each additional fighting major in addition to any other penalties assessed.

If a player is assessed a fighting major for the 16th time or more during the regular season, such player is assessed an automatic two (2) game suspension and the hockey club is fined $1,000.00 for each additional fighting major in addition to any other penalties assessed.

If a player is deemed to be the instigator in any of the fights above the ten (10) game threshold, such player would be assessed an automatic four (4) game suspension in addition to any other penalties assessed.

Note: If a player is instigated upon, the fighting major is not included in the player’s total number of fights.

Such policy was made based on recommendations of the OHL Competitions Committee at their meeting in June, 2012, and ratified at the Annual General Meeting in August, 2012.

–Go Habs Go!–

57. Xsteve50 says:

Concerning MSL, is it at all possible it is not that he was left off the team but more why he was left off. There is a huge difference between, sorry Marty I really really tried vs you are not good enough.

58. DipsyDoodler says:

Thanks for the link to the article by Chris Koentges. It rambles a bit but I agree that for the first time Canadian jingoism became embarrassing (and H I/O was not immune to it).

First, there’s the stupidity of trash talking the rest of the world because we beat them at a sport they don’t care about. It’s as silly as shipping a fridge full of Molson’s to Indonesia (chances are fairly good they have better beer there).

And then there’s the fact that our new nationalism is just a copy of American patriotism (“and now we cut to the Canadian troops in Kandahar”). Couldn’t we at least invent our own brand of obnoxious flag waving?

Adam Gopnik’s statement here is depressing:

“What, when I think about Canada, are the first two images that come to mind? One is hearing the CBC, that wonderful fount of talk and music and conversation”

The CBC is no longer wonderful by anyone’s definition. Just the bland voice of a land of philistines.

And to have Harper trash talking Obama – he doesn’t care you dweeb.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Hahaha. Wonderful, and well-said. It does make me sad how far CBC has fallen. As for Cherry-style Canadian jingoism, yeah, it always makes me cringe.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• RockinRey says:

Never had a problem with Jingoism. CBC and their desperate need to come off as PC. During the Olympic medal round competition. Split screen showing part of Canada/Bars and then the obligatory shot of the mosque in Toronto so as not to leave anyone offended.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m liking this post.

• Mike Boone says:

In defence of Gopnik, he lived in Montreal when the CBC was great. And his use of “hearing” suggests he meant CBC Radio, which is still pretty good. But TV has gone to crap.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• DipsyDoodler says:

CBC Radio 2 is pretty bad too. The inane hosts (except for Judy Nesrellah or Laurie Brown who are great), and the top 40 approach to music – I mean they are down to like 2 hours of classical music a day and it’s always The Planets!

I remember hosts like Len Dobbin and Katie Malloch and Holly Cole’s dad (Leon was it?).

Andrei Markov has been a loyal Hab for 14 years now and probably has been the most endearing and productive player along with Koivu and Pleks during that time period. Alas, so many fans are now willing to throw him aside for 30 pieces of silver. If Markov gets traded, be sure to throw Mike Keane in as part of the deal. It’s the new Hab way of doing things.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I agree 24C but it’s always been the Hab way: Lafleur, Lemaire, Robinson, Savard, Carbo etc …

• RockinRey says:

This is exactly the problem. While he has been a loyal Hab i prefer management to recognize it is a business. Read the article on the thread on the front page. Markov will never have great value on the trade front. If he garners some combination of a first rounder and a couple of prospects I suggest the team consider it.

Koivu and Souray walked. Why? Because the Habs were looking to make the playoffs. Like they have for the last 14 yrs. When have they been a real contender? If the they re-sign him they risk another injury and further deterioration in his play. I think his name carries more goodwill in the league than you think. Special place in the hearts of fans or not I say move him.

• 24 Cups says:

RR – I respect your point. Let’s look at this from a business angle. Most fans, including the owner, want the Habs to make the playoffs. It is my belief that if Montreal trades Markov next week then they can kiss it goodbye. The season is done.

Now let’s look at the next two years in terms of the business of running a successful team. How do the Habs replace what Markov presently brings? Most would say Beaulieu but I would counter by saying that Beaulieu’s next two years will be spent working up the depth chart, not taking a top position from a guy who plays 25 minutes a game while anchoring the special team units. If Markov gets moved, the Habs are going be forced to sign an UFA. Those players don’t come cheap on July 1st and I would be interested in which player might replace Markov.

I realize it’s a bit risky signing a 35 year old, but that’s how things work in today’s NHL. Can this team really afford to let one of it’s top six players walk away? They could only do so if they were in full tank mode like Buffalo. I don’t believe that is the present game plan for the Habs.

• RockinRey says:

@24 . All i want is bold moves. What do we really expect of this bunch in the playoffs? Sure they might give the Bruins a fight as the always do. Hell they may even get past a round or two. Then we are back to the same thing next year and the year after.

What if Price pays decent but they get put out in the next round ? Can we honestly expect much from this group as its currently constituted? They have been touch and go to make the playoffs for many years. Last year the ignominious bow out to the Sens showed the regular season was an aberration.

He will never have greater value.

You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• I think they do recognize it as a business and would be carefully weighing the loss of a minimum of $4M (minimum 2 home games) in revenue by not making the playoffs.

There are quite a number of ways this could go but I’m quite sure the Habs organization is looking at it from a business view.

Edit…24 Cups said it best above.

Welcome home to our Canadian Canadiens.

Sooby and Pricey are GOLD!!!

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Totally agree with you. When you combine the facts that he is a career-long Hab who wants to stay with the fact that he is still a damn fine d-man, that to me merits at least the attempt to keep him for another season or two.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Odie24 says:

You do realize this is a business right? First and foremost? It’s not the new way of doing anything. How much hockey do you watch anyway?

• Stimpy007 says:

I’m loyal and all but to the team not just one player, put the big boy pants on! This is about making the team BETTER.

• Mark C says:

Agreed. However, if Markov won’t sign the Habs best offer then he has to be moved. Cannot lose Markov for no return.

• habcertain says:

what loyalty is he showing the Habs with his demands, its business on both sides.

60. Say Ash says:

Glad to see it’s business as usual here. The past two weeks sucked.

61. UKRAINIANhab says:

Alot of trade talk on here yet none of it ever happens. What if Markov does not get traded. Thats some valuable time taken away from your life! Too much speculation, nothing ever happens at the deadline especially when it is regarding the Habs. We are not even after anyone…

It sure didn’t take that long for hockey to go back into the crapper.

A few days after the Olympic high, the Habs are now back on life support. The Habs play seven games in the next two weeks with five of them being on the road. If Price is out that long, I would think six or seven out of fourteen points would be a successful stretch of games. If he’s still out after that time line then it might be a sign of the apocalypse.

63. GL says:

If Chris Stewart is not liked in St. Louis like some has said on here. He would be a good pick up for the Habs now and in the future. This Guy is Young and he has size and with the right Players he could score 25+ Goals a year. So MB if this is true try to make a deal with ST. Louis but not at the expense of giving away the good players on our present team!!

• habs_54321 says:

Chris Stewart definely fits the bill of what we need, hard nosed top 6 winger but i’m not sure we have any expendable assets that fit the bill of what st Louis is looking for. St Louis is looking for a proven veteran goalie to help them with this years run which leaves out Fucale. they are loaded at D and short of a top end scorer at the forward position they have every role covered.

64. Storm Man says:

I hope no one is wanting MSL on this team

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Only if it involves a trade for Gionta or Desharnais. ;)

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Odie24 says:

Ya, christ, who’d want a Cup winner, Olympic Gold, and the reigning Art Ross trophy winner on the Montreal Canadiens?!? That’s something that USED to happen regularly, but not today! Mediocrity is the new battle cry! Danny Briere forever!…F me.

65. RockinRey says:

Hopefully MB is working on a trade for Markov!!!

66. BriPro says:

Finally some hockey tonight.
    My grandson and I sitting there, yelling at the screen!
    Good guys vs. bad guys.
    I’ll miss that when he’s older.

• Habcouver says:

BriPro, good times now huh. Reminds me of pop and I playing that old hockey table top game – Habs vs. Leafs. I would never take the “bad guys”!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

67. Psycho29 says:

Conor McKenna ‏@mckennaconor ·5 mins
    Bob McKenzie tells TSN 1050 that Martin St Louis wants a trade and will only move to the Rangers. Quite the bargaining position for Yzerman.

• shiram says:

That’s a very clear eff you he is sending to Yzerman.
      The fact that it leaked makes it worse.

• RockinRey says:

I am really disappointed in St. Louis. Can you imagine Messier having a suck attack over being left off of 98 team? Gretzky pouting at not being picked for the shootout against the Czecks?

So because Yzerman did not overrule the committee on the original roster he is going to allow the relationship to deteriorate. Get a grip . Be a professional. That’s what this comes down to? Asking for a trade. Unreal?! He is one hell of a player but to use being left off of a crowded Team Canada roster as a reason to seek a trade is very lame.

• BriPro says:

We don’t know that. You can’t say if the discussions have been hostile or cordial.
        For all we know, MSL might have family there.
        His wife might be pushing him. He might have a GF there.
        We really don’t know what the story is, and I find it unfair to accuse him of playing hard ball because of the Olympic oversight.

• RockinRey says:

@BriPro Are you for real? !!! Really. Everyone knows that’s the reason and not because of anything else. Tampa with Stamkos set to return has a much better team and better chance to succeed in the playoffs. The oversight is the reason. Case closed. Get real!

its not because of a girlfriend or wife or sleeping with the owners wife. Its the snub. And in the grand scheme of things pretty unprofessional. Imagine Gretzky Or Messier doing that. Jumbo Joe didnt take offense to the snub. Giroux? heard nothing. There were arguments to be made that any other guy who was not there could fit in and do the job required. They took the top forwards and Martin St. Louis was not determined to be the 15th best. He did not fit in with the initial vision.

All the agonizing over his omission was unreal.

• The Jackal says:

Oh everyone knows? How can everyone know if it is all just speculation.
            If a player is unhappy where he is playing, there’s nothing wrong with asking to be traded. And Marty has earned the right to ask for a specific landing point too.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• B says:

He has a house in his wife’s hometown in Connecticut and they live there in the off season.

–Go Habs Go!–

• B says:

Bripro posted “For all we know, MSL might have family there. His wife might be pushing him” so I responded with some information relevant to that. Sorry if it bothers you that I did that.

–Go Habs Go!–

• tophab says:

top point man the last 4 years should be on the team ,maybe we should have sat crosby.

• The Jackal says:

Marty is well within his rights as a player and as a person to demand a trade. You’re just speculating that the relations frayed because of the initial snub, but there have been rumblings prior to that and if the selection issue exacerbated things then that’s that. It’s not wrong in any way to demand a trade once relations reached that point, regardless of the catalyst.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• RockinRey says:

Never heard a word. And I read all of the rumour pages. You have to admit that it is a little selfish. If that was the tipping point. Imagine any other big star taking it to heart like that.

• The Jackal says:

Sure, it is a bit selfish, but he shouldn’t have to stay on a team if he doesn’t want to play there anymore. He’s a veteran that has earned the right to ask for a specific trade.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

MSL is not those guys. He is himself and his situation is his own. We don’t know what if anything has happened above and beyond his ice time on TC. Anyway, right or wrong, Yzerman made his bed now he’ll have to sleep in it. There are consequences to all decisions.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• scarboro_habitant says:

perhaps marty is sour toward yzerman about him shipping out lecavalier and the sochi snub was the tipping point.

68. Habfan17 says:

Can someone help me with how to set up an avatar please!

Habfan17

69. Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

D Mex on Bettman (from previous thread):

“Quite evidently, one of those briefings involves his use of the term ‘our game’ in a hollow attempt to align himself with the game of hockey. He is entirely lacking in credibility as a spokesman for the league or the sport in my view.”

Very well said.

70. BriPro says:

Watching Mike Babcock on the previous thread, I wonder what the NHL executive thinks of his talking so highly of the Olympics, and what a great experience it is.
    Especially if they’re pushing to opt out of the Olympics entirely.

71. JohninTruro says:

Relief to see Galchenyuk back in the lineup tonight.

72. Habfan17 says:

From the previous thread. On the rumour of Gionta going to the Devils. I would rather that Bergevin trade Gionta and either Collberg or Andrighetto to the Blues for Stewart.

On the previous thread, Paz asked why the blues would move Stewart. Because he is not getting playing time since Hitch does not like him. He does not fit his system. This was discussed on the team1200 this morning.

The Blues do not need a roster player, but Gionta would add depth and Stanley cup experience and his salary and Stewarts are basically a wash. The Blues also get a high end prospect, which if they wanted to, could be flipped for Miller!

The Habs of course get the power forward they lack and he is young. He would have to go through the Therrien “programming” though!!
    Habfan17

73. Paz says:

17, if Hitchcock does not like Stewart there is a reason.

I’m not inside the Blues dressing room but I’m concerned.

We knew Bourque was enigmatic but Gauthier still acquired him.

• shiram says:

Yup Stewart is sending alot of Bourque like symptoms.
      Maybe a change of scenery would do him good, but I’m not so sure it’s worth spending all that much for him, also considering he might re-up after next season.

• Habfan17 says:

Apparently, it is undeserved and a change of scenery could be the best solution. I would rather the Habs take a chance than end up seeing him on the Sens and be the player the Habs needed!

Habfan17

• shiram says:

Well underserved or not, it’s a troubling thing to hear.
          I would not spend too much on acquiring him, as I said a first round pick max.
          St-Louis would have no need at all for Gio, and they would look to improve their team for a playoff push.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes according to a guest on the team 1200 this morning, Stewart is getting the bum’s treatment from Hitch. Hitch didn’t like him when he took over but according to this person, ex NHLer, name escapes me, Stewart would be a solid pickup for a team needing grit and scoring on a 2nd line.

Habfan17

• B says:

Joe Sacco had benched him in Colorado before he was sent packing to St.Louis. There was talk at the time about concern over his defensive play and effort level.

–Go Habs Go!–

74. UKRAINIANhab says:

Tell us how you really feel!!

75. tophab says:

the gm should not have shunned his own player. no class

76. D Mex says:

I must agree. Behaviours attributed to St.Louis the past few days remind me of a brief meeting with him during the player meet & greet event that was part of the Habs Centennial All-Star celebration in ’09.

As I recall, he was a replacement player then as well and, when he stopped to sign autographs for our sons, he appeared to me to be (a) sulking or (b) wilting under the weight of the chip on his shoulder. It was very much as tho he felt he had been aggrieved – sound familiar ?

It may simply be that MSL is an emotional guy. If so, he is not the only one out there, but his demonstrated capacity to manage minor setbacks combined with reports that he is now asking to abandon TB may well say something about his leadership abilities.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

77. boing007 says:

I’m listening to it on the radio. It’s less painful to hear it than watch it.

Richard R

78. adadi says:

Too many Therrien apologists on this blog.

79. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Price.

80. piper says:

not whining, just saying it would be a good plan for this team moving forward.

81. Slackman Is Drinking a Beer Like A Good Canadian Ought To says:

He wasn’t whining.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

82. piper says:

What past success are you talking about? 70s?

83. piper says:

Hey, Markov has been a good Hab and if not for injuries he would have been a great Hab but you have to move these kind of assets when you can get good return.
    I would have loved to have seen Savard, Robinson, and Lapointe retire as Habs too but it just doesnt happen.

84. piper says:

I was one of those fans hoping he would.

85. NCRhabsfan says:

The diving call in OT was pure and unadulterated BS. The official should be immediately fired. You cannot blame PK for the gross incompetence of NHL officials.

86. Warpy says:

I think the difference between Subban and other elite defence-men is maturity. This game showed he doesn’t have the self restraint needed to think team 1st. I love the guy and believe he will be great but part of having a huge up-side is raising the downside up as well. The penalty to give the wings their 1st PP goal was selfish. The diving penalty was lazy. The lapse in concentration in the dying seconds to leave the goal scorer open in front of the net was inexcusable.

PK needs to get his head in the game for 60 mins and lead by example.
    I don’t think U would see this kind of game from Weber or Doughty. That is what PK has to compare himself to. What would Weber or Doughty do would make a great mantra for PK to internalize. To be the best U need to be at your best all the time and do what the best do only better.

Go Habs Go