Liveblog: Game 57 – Canadiens douse Flames 2-0

Markov

Price moves up the list

Carey Price made 27 saves for the 23rd shutout of his career.

This ties Price with Jose Theodore for seventh on the Canadiens all-time list.

Rene Bourque's second period goal was the winner.

David Desharnais added an empty netter.

The Canadiens had 27 shots on Reto Berra.

Turning point: four minutes and change into the second period, two Canadiens penalty-killers – Lars Eller and Tomas Plekanec – were in the box.

The Canadiens killed a two-minute 5-on-3.

Finally, a power-play goal

With Reto Berra on the bench and Mike Cammalleri in the penalty box, David Desharnais's ninth of the season sealed a 2-0 win.

Bourque!

Playing against his old team, Rene Bourque pushed a Brandon Prust pass past Reto Berra for the game's first goal.

The Canadiens killed off a full two-minute 5-on-3 with two of their penalty-killers – Tomas Plekanec and Lars Eller – in the box.

Canadiens outshot the Flames 15-14.

Scintillating entertainment

Let's got to the first-period highlight reel:

(.......)

But hey, Raphael Diaz scored in Boston.

Those were the days

The last time Calgary visited the Bell Centre, on Oct. 13, 2011, Andrei Kostitsyn opened the scoring less than two minutes into the game.

The unlamented AK46 was the only Canadiens to beat Mikka Kiprusoff that night, as Flames – despite a 36-21 shot deficit – pumped four goals past Carey Price.

Rene Bourque scored twice for the visitors.

Yes, THAT Rene Bourque – the enigmatic winger who has scored one goal on the road this season.

The Flames, who beat the Canadiens 3-2 in Calgary Oct. 9, ride a five-game winning streak into the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens are coming off a pair of weekend losses to Tampa Bay and Winnipeg.

1,071 Comments

1. Eddie says:

Bournival with Weise is ridiculous speed. Fun to watch!

2. Habcouver says:

Gee, I wish they’d retire #22 for Fergy.

Waiting patiently for #25

3. habbernack says:

When Chucky gets back MT should reunite the EGG line and put Weisa on the DD line. Big guy who likes the front of the net

4. RockinRey says:

As one guy said the other night . Montreal like to collect pluggers!!!

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

5. monmick says:

Did Moen change his jersey number tonight?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

6. Eddie says:

Every line with Bournival instantly comes to life!

• CJ says:

Kid can fly. He wins puck battles and is always digging. This is exactly how I would like to see the fourth line play. Bournival won’t be on the fourth line much longer though. I see a lot of upside.

7. Rudy says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been able to hear players voices in Montreal. Quiet crowd

8. Plekasuares says:

When will Eller score???? How bout 2night

9. The Prustean Age says:

25 years ago: the last time a Habs-Flames game meant something?

Screw the “hockey gods”!

10. FlyingFrenchie says:

Yogi’s brother in goal for Calgary. Is Boo Boo on defence?

11. Plekasuares says:

Wuy Hullo GHG

12. Tom says:

“Carey Price has stopped 103 of the last 107 shots he’s faced, a percentage of .963. He has a 1-1-1 record to show for it. The Canadiens have scored 10 goals in Price’s last seven starts”.

Thank you Mr. Boone. That puts things into perspective.

13. bender69 says:

Weise– Parros– Prusst take the opening faceoff !!!!! hahahahaha

14. Slackman says:

So will the habs face adversity tonight?

15. Habilis says:

You know what? We kind of need to win this.
    Really hope we come out flying.

16. J.J. of Turku says:

I’m planning to scout Flames’s goalies tonight. Hope we’re going to see both of them in action. :D

Go, Habs GO!

Twitter: @jjturku

17. RockinRey says:

Any Colorado scouts in the building?

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

18. Hobie Hansen says:

The Habs have an overload of forwards now. Bergevin is almost forced to make some sort of deal, no?

19. monmick says:

Weise-ti-ti…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

20. Eddie says:

I was really surprised to see that Bourque played 4 years at University of Wisconsin. I just figured he was a major junior type of player from the WHL.

Four very good seasons in Calgary.

Very strange.

21. frontenac1 says:

Vas-y Les Boys! Kick Cowboy arse and stay away from Big Mac! Saludos!

22. MikeHabs says:

Going to be a tough game as Calgary plays like they have nothing to lose. The boys will have to watch out for Cammalleri! Odds are on his side for putting one in on his old team. I hope that Montreal can find two points by the end of the night.

Here is the latest Habs prospect update: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/prospect-update-jan-27-feb-2/

23. Propwash says:

Dat chin on Weise…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. Ktowner says:

So with Calgary in town will MT start Weise and Parros between Prust?

25. JUST ME says:

If you guys want to take a look at the Sotchi olympic installations on la Presse website there is an olympic blog (in the blog section). There is a link for quite impressive 360 degrees pictures.
    Really tried to put the link directly in my message but my life is way too short… If one of you can put the link go ahead. Worth the look.

26. Phil C says:

“The Canadiens have not scored a power-play goal at the Bell Centre since Dec. 17. They are 0-for-25 over eight games – longest home-ice PP drought in 26 years.”

Yet they keep sending out DD’s line on the first wave. [sigh]

• johnnylarue says:

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try… again.

• Mark C says:

Lots of other players have had plenty of PP time and done nothing during this streak.

• Phil C says:

The first wave always gets the best opportunity, starting with an offensive zone faceoff and having Markov and Subban at the point. The PP was clicking earlier in the year when DD’s line wasn’t being used on the first wave.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

What is stopping MT from tinkering more adventurously with the PP? Why NOT park Parros or Murray in the crease? Why NOT try Briere on the point in the second wave?

Even the half-wit HNIC colour-commentator could see how doing man-to-man on Subban snuffed out our powerplay scoring. If the HNIC guy gets it, then there’s a good chance every single opposing coach gets it. Imagine a pitcher with only one pitch? Blissfully ignoring all signals from catcher and dugout….

27. Habilis says:

*Waits patiently for the Boone Reverse Jinx.*
    We can’t win without it. That’s just science.

28. ABHabsfan says:

Those stats on Price alone should get him the crease in Sochi

29. jols101 says:

The newest 24CH needed MOAR yoga instructor.

30. RockinRey says:

Tells you everything you need to know about this group . Last reg win was last year!!!

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

31. ABHabsfan says:

Tilburg? Is that short for Tilsonburg? My back still aches when I hear that word

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Strummer

…options of nickname for the new Guy

…Weise guy ?

…Weise the wus ?

…Weise the Beast ?
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

33. RockinRey says:

Another question for the commentariat. What would it take to trade Price? What if he falters in the playoffs? Can you still build around him? What would you want in return to entice that sort of trade?

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• habsfan0 says:

Er..who would you replace Price with as the Habs starting goaltender?

• RockinRey says:

Not sure. But what would you want in return in order for you to entice trading him ( if you were running the show)

Lets say they make the playoffs with this group of misfits. And they go out in 5 games .

Unless major changes are made it looks like it might be a couple more years before they can even make any noise. How does that affect the view of Price and where he fits in?????

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• habsfan0 says:

Price is having a very good season.
          However,one of the knocks against him is that he never seems to perform well in high pressure situations at the NHL level (shootouts,regular season OT,playoff OT).
          If Price does play at the Olympics,his performance there will be highly scrutinized under very high pressure circumstances.

• johnnylarue says:

Agreed–the Olympics is essentially a series of Cup Final Game 7s. If he can deal with that, you can pretty much count on him to win you a cup–provided the supporting cast is there.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Douglas Crankshaft/Tank Murray ?

…that way He does not have to skate so far to clear the crease

• Ktowner says:

I’m sure you are just thinking out loud but seriously, Price? He is the most consistent player on the team this season, he is having a career season, has been recognized as one of the best in the country that invented the game and without him, our Habs would be rivaling Buffalo and Edmonton for that high lottery position in the 2014 entry draft.

34. habberns says:

Now i guess we don’t get to Seymour Hoffman.

35. Hobie Hansen says:

Tough night for Dale Weise to make his debut! He can’t get running around too much with Brian McGrattan on the other side. The only players on the Habs roster I’d want standing in the against McGrattan would be big Doug Murray or maybe George Parros.

36. Dunboyne Mike says:

Confession: I don’t recall ever noticing Weise before.

Can he win puck battles in the corners?

If so, is he capable of delivering decent passes in front?

If so, should he be on the third rather than the fourth line?

• johnnylarue says:

He should be on the fourth line, alternating with White and Parros.

Think of him as a faster, larger Ryan White who doesn’t take faceoffs, and with a bit more offensive ability and a bit less defensive awareness. Fighting ability is roughly on par with White’s too, for what that’s worth.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Many thanks, johnny.

And White’s not slow, so the guy must be pretty quick.

• Habfan17 says:

Actually, if you read the article that was posted here earlier, Wiese got most of his ice time in the defensive zone to keep the other team from scoring and get the puck out so they could make a line change and get the offensive line out.

Habfan17

• johnnylarue says:

Hmmm… He got a lot of defensive zone starts, but I don’t recall him being used much on the PK in Vancouver. I could be completely wrong, though. Lord knows, it’s happened before…

• Habilis says:

Yeah the first thing I did after I read about the trade on twitter was to plug his name into nhl.com. Had no clue.

From everything I’ve read since then, it seems as though he’s a guy with some size and great speed, but not an overly physical player. He’ll drop the gloves, but he doesn’t win many fights. The one thing I read over and over though is that he’s a great fore-checker.

To me, he sounds like a much less talented version of Patches, but with little more smash to his game. In other words, a decent 4th liner who might be able to contribute on the PK.

He’s also only 25, so there’s still time for him to improve. I’m in “wait and see” mode regarding him right now. He has 25 games to show his stuff. Playing for a contract too, which is never a bad thing.

37. jols101 says:

White slew footing Therrien made Sportscenter.

38. RockinRey says:

Urgent- For Sale!!!

Markov
    Gio
    Bourque
    Moen
    DD
    Gorges
    Murray
    Boullion
    Briere

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

39. habsfan0 says:

Looking forward to Dale Weise scoring a hat trick tonight in his Habs debut.
    Frankly,anything less will simply not do.

40. Dunboyne Mike says:

For me, every Flames game is a grudge-job, because of Lanny MacDonald raising the…raising the….

(leaps up distressed and hurries away from the computer, eventually returning, dejectedly, and sitting down)

raising the Cup in the Forum.

41. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Oh, forgot my sign off! Grow Habs Grow!

Brian, I posted 2 replies to you but none seem to appear on the page. Don’t know why. MAybe you can see it and it’s just my browser.

43. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Man, I’ve got a crappy feeling about this game. Cammalleri will score at least 1, Bourque will get bupkis, Weise will have some stupid staged fight. 4-1 Flames. Please let me be wrong. Or if I’m right, let this hasten the downfall of Therrien. Time for change!

44. habberns says:

Habs 4-1; Patches, Pleks, Bork and Murray light the lamp. Yes, Murray.

Is Mikey Cammaleri playing tonight? I can only imagine this place if he scores and when Bourque doesn’t. I will try to savor that as much as I can.

46. RockinRey says:

Here is a question for the Commentariat: What is the upside of Brendan Gallagher ( I like him as a player and could play on my team anyday)

Could you ever envision him hitting 50 or 60 pts? Would you ever trade him?

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Dave Jones says:

He’s a second year player on pace for a 20-goal season. And this after netting 15 in 44 games last year as a rookie. I think it’s easy to envision him as a consistent 20 g 50 pts player. If he’s the rare small player on a very different looking Habs team, maybe he can be a 30 g guy the odd season. He plays the right way and he earns everything. He’s a tremendous leader already.

• RockinRey says:

I agree. I think he has upside but they may burn him out. I read somewhere that Patches was not a power forward and was a sniper with size. Does he ever wake up feeling guilty about Gally doing all he heavy work?

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Dave Jones says:

I think that’s a fair scouting report on Patches. It’s interesting actually. Both Gally and Patches are great players. Despite different statures, they need the same support around them. We would love Patches if he wasn’t our only winger with size. And we would completely stop worrying about Gally’s size if the team was bigger around him. We have expectations, or laments, for them that are totally unfair, but easy enough to fall into given the team’s overall make up. I like them both, but I suppose all this just brings into focus how far we need to go in rebuilding–and they may be our only credible assets to part with.

• Dave Jones says:

The team really needs to luck out with Beaulieu and Tinordi. If these guys can prove themselves to be ready for the NHL in a hurry, we can use free agency to build around Chucky, Gally, Patches, Eller, Pleks, and Prust up front.

• Dave Jones says:

I would trade a player like that, but not now when he’s getting 20 goals on a negligible cap hit.

• CJ says:

Yes, he is capable of netting 50-60 points.

Yes, I would move any player, Galley included, for the right deal. Mind you, it would need to be a terrific deal, but yes, I would trade him.

I love PK, but if the Isles call with an offer of Tavares and Reinhardt (totally hypothetical) it’s bye, bye PK.

• Marc10 says:

Good question.

I think he can hit 60 points one day (as the core of the team improves).

I wouldn’t trade him. He’s too valuable to this team and works his butt off every shift. You want players like that.

For the sake of argument, if you were to trade for him, you’d want a bigger player who goes to the net with a similar work ethic. I can’t think of one of hand…

47. Dave Jones says:

I’m enjoying all the commentary on The Trade (hah). At the end of the day, this is a pretty minor move, and hardly anything to get excited about, in either direction. I do think there is some reasonable concern coming from The Other Site, that this trade reflects a lack of appreciation among Canadiens management for what the so-called advanced stats can tell us about player performance. But future moves–and yes, hopefully much bolder ones–will tell the story. Good luck to Mr. Diaz, and welcome Mr. Weise! Go Habs Go!

48. Strummer says:

What’s the new guy’s nickname?

Wiser?( good Cdn. whiskey)
    Weezer? ( great band!)
    Weezy (in a George Jefferson voice)

or why not go with Gally as we seem to refer to multiple players as such

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

49. GL says:

The weise trade they got a younger 4th liner with good wheels can play tough but they didn’t improve the offense at all but I like that they finally have a 4th liner that’ll rattle a few Bones. The trade will help some what and he can win the odd fight. Hope he doesn’t try McGratton tonight mistake #-1

50. RockinRey says:

I think the vast majority of Habs fans are hoping some Bold moves. Regardless if for some reason they hang onto 4th or 5th. That wont allow this team to move forward( being idle at the deadline).

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• gordispitz says:

yes, yes yes, , bolder the better, no untouchables.. but i wonder what mr molson thinks if we misss the playoffs r/ short term revenue, and / or short term fan rage ?

• RockinRey says:

I would even quietly see what Price might garner. And not that I want to move him but PK too.

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

51. maiolola@comcast.net says:

The coaches job is to get the players to give 100% effort and to follow the system. MT fails on the former as he loves to give the team days off following losses. If the team takes the night off and loses as the Habs have done several times this season, the coach should have them on the ice the next morning at 8am. As far as the system goes, it sucks. In conclusion, bring in a coach that is at least part hard-ass that has a better system. Oh yeah, also bring in defensemen who can head man the put out of the zone or carry it themselves.

Train

52. geo_habsgo says:

While I’m not exactly against the trade, wasn’t it really just another lateral move by management? I thought Diaz was someone who could be traded but wouldn’t we have gotten more if he was part of a package with another middle of the pack player? I’m not gonna start suggesting trade scenarios but I think we could have gotten more if Bergevin just waited for a package deal that would have brought in a better caliber player or a high draft pick. I think I would have been happier with a second round draft pick than with this guy (please prove me wrong, big guy).

• smiler2729 says:

I think you are overvaluing Raphael Diaz. He’s a spare part, not an asset. Nobody needed him except Vancouver.

Quit turning Hab players into uberstars.

Diaz will be UFA and I’m betting he gets not a sniff from the NHL and returns to Switzerland this summer and thus will close another Pierre Gauthier misfire….

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• geo_habsgo says:

Dude I never said that. I just think shipping him out with other spare parts would return more than this. Him with a player like markov or something of that nature would just be a sweetner. This trade accomplishes nothing but shedding cap if anything?

• Dave Jones says:

I think you’re undervaluing Raphael Diaz. He’s an NHLer. But I agree otherwise. His skill set was redundant on this Habs blueline, and teams knew that.

53. GL says:

The only Guy that would give McGratton a good fight would be Lucic No one on the Habs would come close. If Parros wants to try him he’d better be getting ready for retirement. This concussion will end his career.

No Welcome to Montreal video for Dale Weise?

55. RockinRey says:

Interesting that 3/4 of those that answered the poll think Habs made a good trade.

I honestly am not sure. I have heard differing opinions .Some believe they devalued a serviceable defenseman ( Diaz)and they could have put him in same type minutes as Murray. In contrast others think he fell out of favour so at least they got something.

On another note I hope MB unloads Markov. Regardless of what position they are in I believe it is the right move. Thank him for wonderful service (give him a wonderful reference) but imagine what he could fetch in return?! Markov still has a reputation. His game is not nearly as good as it was but his name still has goodwill. Get something for him now!

The option is still there to bring him back in the summer. MB needs to take emotion out of it!

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• jols101 says:

I voted yes mostly because I like that Bergevin finally did something and not because it was a great trade. It was something which is better than nothing. I just hope this sparks many more changes.

• Marc10 says:

We’ll find out soon enough.

Weisey has maybe half a shift to impress and then he’s either the second coming of the Flower or another colossal MB stuff up.

• Wintercount says:

Stranger things have happened column.
      Diaz plays well this week, then goes over to Sochi plays really well there too…. Van gets all injured players back and trade him to LosA for a 2nd rounder.
      just thinkin’

56. GL says:

I Give the Habs about a .2 chance of defeating Calgary tonight

57. Psycho29 says:

Hmmm…Weise was one of the Canucks out there at the opening faceoff vs the Flames a few weeks ago when the two teams had the line brawl.
    Maybe MT should put Weise out on the opening faceoff with Briere and Desharnais and tell the Flames to bring it on.

Ok….maybe not….. ;-)

58. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Piece of advice for the 4th line…don’t fight McGratton.

59. Habilis says:

Tonight I fully expect les boys to start the game with all the intensity of an afternoon nap.

Crappy opponent seems to mean a crappy performance for pretty much everyone but Price.

Hope I’m wrong, because it’s getting to that point in the season now. Either we make the playoffs or we end up in 9th or 10th. The latter would be unpleasant.

60. Thomas Le Fan says:

Bourque will pot one tonight. Count on it. Or … you know … maybe not.

Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

61. thehabsfan29 says:

How about Bourque & a pick for Vermette?

I Would have also said bourque for foligno but I doubt the jackets will trade him.

62. Marc10 says:

Here’s a report on Erskine for the MOAR crowd. (I recall we wanted him to slot into the Murray/Cube/Drewiske role.)

The good news is he’s still tough. The bad news is he’s forgotten how to play D. Could be available if MB/MT are into fixer uppers.

63. CJ says:

Sorry about the trade information on the last thread. I certainly didn’t mean to cause waves. These are rumours only, so I highly doubt they offer more then a general musing.

I foresee a Canadiens win tonight. We didn’t play well in Calgary back in October and, as a result, owe a bit of revenge. I see that the Flames are winners of five straight, but that streak ends tonight. Go Habs!

• Forum Dog says:

I hoping Weise will actually be a factor tonight. Not by scoring, but by banging some bodies, getting his team-mates amped up, and making the Calgary D force passes up the middle.

Don’t think you need to apologize for the trade rumour post. I know some take offence to all the balderdash, but it generates discussion and that is what boards like this are all about. And it is as legitimate as a rumour can be. The truth is that a rumour like that get people thinking about the facts, which in this case are:

– Markov is long-in-the-tooth and has no contract for next year;
      – The Habs need to maximize their assets since they are not going to contend for a cup this year;
      – Markov is one of the best trade assets they have because other teams actually want or need him;
      – He could potentially bring a roster player (which they need), a prospect (which they need); and a pick (which never hurts).

• dr. gesundheit says:

T’would be nice to see some of that speed/physicality translate to an effective forecheck.

re Markhov…he’s been great (over the years) but now it’s time to maximize his value (via a trade).

64. doug19 says:

Hat trick for Briere tonight!!!

65. jimmy shaker says:

Panthers will beat the leafs on scott gomez goal, but will the boys take advantage of the loss and get a big W, move ahead of the leafs into 3rd spot in the division and still have that one game in hand? Would’ve started boods and give carey the next two games, but nevertheless get a shutout tonight please price!

Shaker out!

66. GrimJim says:

Thanks to John Bellyful for my new signature…

I don’t want the fusion reactor, I want the confusion reactor

67. Eddie says:

Will the coach allow the team to skate with the puck, and control the play, or will we be forever stuck in this Jacques Martin time warp?

Every game I hope for they best. To see the system of pay that vaulted us to the top of the 5 on 5 scoring last season.

Same coach, same roster, and now we play a system that does not score goals 5 on 5.

Unacceptable.

68. Luke says:

Enjoy it folks. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeezy!!!!!!!

#History.

69. Reflektor says:

Who here will be paying for one less round to save up and buy Tie Domi’s upcoming memoirs?

70. shiram says:

#participationaward!

Habs win one for Timo tonight, because they know I am the biggest fan.

72. JohnBellyful says:

I can’t believe what the idiots above me are posting.
    (Although I’d like to, a man in my position can’t come out and say they’re beneath my contempt.)