Liveblog: Game 56 – Lost weekend for Canadiens

Beaulieu-Buff

More scrums than goals

The game ended with a mad scramble in front of Winnipeg goaltender Al Montoya.

Glares, shoves, punched, angry words ...

But no goals.

The Canadiens scored twice on Super Bowl weekend.

Their opponents, Tampa Bay and Winnipeg, doubled the home team in 2-1 wins.

Price error cost winner

A little over a minute into the third period, Carey Price tried to clear the puck, but the attempt was intercepted by Andrew Ladd.

The Winnipeg captain fed Michael Frolik for an easy goal that proved the winner.

Finally, a couple goals

After Lars Eller hit the post behind Al Montoya, Tobias Enstrom opened the scoring on a soft wraparound that beat Carey Price short-side.

Brian Gionta dinged off the post before converting a sweet Tomas Plekanec pass to tie the game.

Canadiens outshot the Jets 12-9.

The period included several goalmouth scrums, the liveliest of which involved wee Brendan Gallagher and hulking Mark Stuart.

Two games

The visitors dominated early, jumping off to a 7-0 shot advantage before Rene Bourque uncorked a blistering 70-footer on Al Montoya.

But the Canadiens came to life en route to a 12-10 shot advantage in the period.

Let's try this again

Your Montreal Canadiens will try to redeem Super Bowl weekend when they play Winnipeg in a Sunday matinee at the Bell Centre.

With the Jets in the Western Conference, this is their only visit to Montreal this season.

The scalpers will make out like bandits.

The Canadiens beat the Jets 3-0 in Winnipeg on Oct. 15.

The Jets' poor start this season cost Claude Noel his coaching job, and Winnipeg is 7-2-0 since Paul Maurice took over.

After losing in Overtime to Tampa Bay on Saturday afternoon, the Canadiens spent a few hours in third place in the Atlantic Division before the Leafs' comeback win against Ottawa bumped them back down to Wild Card territory.

Puck drops 1:10ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

1,107 Comments

1. Habilis says:

For anyone having trouble watching online, Elliot Friedman just posted an updated link: http://t.co/2gMl14mNm4

2. Mondou6 says:

Galchenyuk’s been out for weeks, and he’s still tied for 4th on our team in Goals Scored, with “10″.

It’s crazy how little scoring we have.

3. joeybarrie says:

Philip seymour hoffman’s death was a hoax.
    Pretty sure he is still alive

4. Propwash says:

Wow, apparently Phillip Seymour Hoffman found dead in a Manhattan apartment.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

5. Plekasuares says:

They look like chickens with heads cut off back in homeland of Ukraine

6. J.J. of Turku says:

LOL. Jokinen has a mullet. :D

Twitter: @jjturku

7. Habbu says:

Another one……….where they simply aren’t ready to play

8. Stevie.Ray says:

That Wheeler would look good in a Habs jersey. And Bourque would look good in a Jets jersey

9. monmick says:

Where is Patches?

10. adadi says:

Habs look lost.

11. jols101 says:

Looks like there could be some serious dwarf tossing at the Bell center this afternoon.

12. tyshow89 says:

I I think I am at the point right now watching this bigger Jets team, where I would get excited if the Habs traded for ANYONE over 6 ft for one of our smaller guys

13. monmick says:

@tbov re Sault. Ted Nolan…

14. Storman says:

Another sedated crowd, what happened to our loud barn

15. Habilis says:

Jets are really flying.
    Yep, I went there.

16. Sportfan says:

GO HABS GO

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

17. tbovs says:

Sault Ste. Marie ON connection tonight in this game. Paul Maurice, Chris Thorburn. Matt Dagostini(who is not in the game but recently played for the habs), who played for the habs was also from the Sault.

For a small northern town we have had some pretty successful NHLers. Esposito brothers, Ron Francis, Paul Dipeitro, Tyler Kennedy, Ken Belanger, Denny Lambert, Rico Fata and so on. Not bad at all.

GO Habs GO

18. Maritime Ronn says:

If this keeps up Mr Zamboni will only have to clean 1 end of the ice…again

19. Storman says:

I just saw my 5 o’clock shadow, six hours of more drinking

20. NLhabsfan says:

Talk about slow start.

21. Mavid says:

yes pinwheel anyone with internet can look up goal stats

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

22. Clay says:

Man….I know it’s early, buy I don’t like how this game is shaping up….
    __________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

23. Propwash says:

Great. It’s going to be the Jets vs. Price.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. Et le but says:

Play by play Mr. B or shot by shot?

25. Storman says:

I wonder if Paul Maurice will test the free agent coach market, his value is rising each game

26. icemachine says:

Damn CBC website not working right

27. Et le but says:

Hopefully they give us a better performance than they did yesterday with me on my couch and not in the stands!

28. B says:

Boone, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow. Six more weeks.

–Go Habs Go!–

29. adadi says:

Yo MT just because we know you have a hard time focusing, these are the lines you should be playing.

Gio Pleks DB

Bourney Larry Thomas

Patches DD Gally

Prust Moen Bourque

I’d break up the DD line but you can’t mess with MT’s boy toy.

30. CHasman says:

Plenty of comments about Eller today. I really like the guy. He’s big, he has soft hands, he skates hard, he hits, and he’s a great stick handler. Yet Therrien with all his talk about rewarding players, keeps giving him struggling wingers to play with, and no PP time except for the occasional last 20 seconds. You can tell the kid is being broken out there. If you don’t want a guy like Eller on our team, then what do you want. There are plenty of smaller players and
    Bourque types out there, and I don’t see Bergeron moving Eller to get more of them.

31. Storman says:

I wonder if there is a team in the league that loves going on the road as much as Winterpeg

32. joeybarrie says:

Is it just me, cause I keep hearing how Prust ‘speared’ Bishop yesterday.
    His stick didn’t move and Bishop ran into it. When he did, Prust held his stick, but to ,e that was nowhere near spearing.
    Was Prust supposed to bend over too?
    While he shouldn’t have been over there chirping, its only chirping.
    so I ask again… Is it me?
    Cause I don’t see that as spearing.

33. adadi says:

Why had Carbo lost the room before he was fired by Gainey?

34. Dunboyne Mike says:

If Bournival’s 100%, why isn’t he back with Pleks and Gio? Because Briere scored one? Bummer. Thought we were saving Briere (and he himself) for the playoffs.

35. T-roy West says:

I like Markov but there is no way I would resign him and I would not let him walk. Same goes for Gionta. Get what you can MB.

36. Eddie says:

Of course RDS headlines their show with Daniel Briere. Anyone who thinks language and politics are not part of this team is really fooling themselves.

37. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hmmm.

Frolik Little Ladd — now there’s a trio to conjure with.

38. TheBird19 says:

I have this theory that Bob Cole made a deal with the devil that if he was allowed to do play-by-play for Toronto back in the day he would do anything… Now as part of his own personal version of hell he has to broadcast Habs games – a team he CLEARLY DESPISES, I hope the old basterd retires soon. He cannot muster ONE GOOD THING to say about CH, his bias his obvious, such a pain to listen to…

39. Storman says:

The over under on how many time RDS airs the Mcdonalds Briere trio Gallagher commercial before the game starts is 25

40. Subban in Sochi says:

Boone: Put a (year) DATE on Lars Eller scoring 5 against the Jets. You have 2 correct facts that are incorrectly linked. At any rate, Lars needs to get back to seeing his Sports Psychologist…and on a daily basis. With his size, speed & physicality Eller has embarrassed himself for months with paltry production. Too bad Denmark didn’t make 2014 Olympics.

“Cannonading drive!!”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

The only one who´s embarrassing is the coach of his team who a very decent player into a defensive role and often plays him with mediocre players on the third line. Decent linemates + time on the second PP and Eller will put up 50 points. He had 30 in 46 games last season…

• Subban in Sochi says:

Sorry, I meant Eller scored 5 points (4 goals) on January 4, 2012 vs. the Jets.

“Cannonading drive!!”

• Mike Boone says:

Total screw-up on my part. Deleted the post.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• The Prustean Age says:

No worries, Boone: you make up for that with fabulous commentary. And on that subject, I have a request for multiple clever similies! (e.g., “Murray is so slow that…” or “Therrien’s line combinations are like….”)

I’ll leave you to fill in the blanks…

Screw the “hockey gods”!

41. The Prustean Age says:

Was Boone mentioning those stats on Eller to catch us sleeping? Thought it was 4 G, 5 PTS two Januaries ago?

Screw the “hockey gods”!

42. Eddie says:

” Being the dedicated professional I used to be, I’ll feign passionate interest”.

Classic Boone right there.

Great stuff!

43. jols101 says:

Gord Miller on NBC? Good for him, Gord has always been one of my favorite play by play guys.

44. Storman says:

Just heard David Desharnais telling a story about his youth hockey days, he starts when i was little,,,,,,,,

45. Subban in Sochi says:

I adore Michel Therrien’s quotes. But he topped them all recently with this beaut: “We’d like to play Carey Price in 83 games out of 82…”

I’m not sure if MT allowed for the pre-season, Olympic, and Playoff schedules when factoring Price’s (over) 100% workload. I assume “Buds” was not given a “vote” on Price’s playing schedule of 83 games…

“Cannonading drive!!”

46. zephyr says:

what is it with the dislike of dd & max? they were the team’s top 2 point-getters in jan. followed by Gallagher. if dd keeps scoring like this, he’s a keeper. he’s also very young. he’s getting & creating chances every game.
    I can remember the ‘bench murray’ crowd on here not too long ago too. it almost sounds as if some people aren’t even watching the games.
    it’s too bad we accidently deflected that puck into our net because the habs deserved to win yesterday. that’s 3 games in a row they’ve played well. still don’t like how we clear our zone tho.

• gordispitz says:

i like them, as many others on our team,, but i am also on the rebuild fast bus,, that means to me that no one is untouchable,,

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I like them, but I have problems with their weird Siamese-Twinosity, and with what looks like MT’s blind and irreversible commitment and prioritisation of DD.

• BJ says:

I don’t get it either? I would resign Murray and let him fight for a 6th spot on our D. We haven’t had a bruiser like that since I don’t know when and I’ve been watching this team since 1953. DD and Max are just fine. They are what they are and bring a very valuable contribution to the team. We still need to sort out some pieces but no team we trade with is going to give us a free upgrade. Galchenyuk’s return should help. For the rest one major move I would make is trading Markov for a big young winger and a pick if we can get one, this decision is based on his age and the salary and length of time he may ask for, and that is also speculation as I don’t really know what his terms are.

47. Dunboyne Mike says:

Cool D stats.
    You usually mention Ron Reusch round about now….
    (When I left for Ireland the first time, he was still doing the 6 o’clock news, and you — I think — were in TV Guide. Farber had dark hair and a beard. I don’t actually believe that’s him on the HIO show. It’s a bit of a Martin Guerre situation.)

48. TheBird19 says:

SEAHAWKS gonna win a shocker today, it’s all about turnovers, and did you know the NFL is a tax-exempt charity?

49. Storman says:

I am going to have a trio Gallagher, but that is a Frank Gallagher trio

50. Fansincebirth says:

Should start a drinking game…

You have to take a shot every time MT mixes up the line combinations…..or just drink the bottle at the start of the game and be done with it!

51. Storman says:

Keep the tid bits coming Booner, much more interesting than anything CBC will have to say

52. Storman says:

Douglas Murray’s last NHL goal came against the Habs

53. ooder says:

Its weird but I feel like the year we finished last. Even after a win I am just like: meh.

54. Storman says:

Think i need an early pop to get into this afternoon game, hopefully less of an instigator of pooparrhea from yesterday’s stinkfest.

55. Stevie.Ray says:

What do you suppose the asking price for Eberle is?

56. WindsorHab-10 says:

Right coach behind the bench, possibilities are endless. 4-2 Jets

57. habs001 says:

Eller has had a couple of mini streaks in his career in scoring…and based on this many posters believe he can be a top centre…reality is that many players have had mini streaks in the NHL(when Pouliot became a Hab he had a good start and some of the same posters had him as 30-40 goals scorer and they jumped on posters who disagreed)…Eller has talent but historically prior to the NHL he never showed that can be a consistent high level scorer and same is the case in the NHL..he will be 25 in may and i have seen enough of him to see that he is lacking the offensive intangible to put up points consistently…unless something clicks in him that has not since he has played high level hockey he is at best a 40 to 45 point player which is not bad but does not warrant top 6 status if you want to be a cup contender…Galchenyuk is the best hope for a top centre and in a couple of years the Habs will need a second line centre…

• piper says:

I still think Eller will be a good second line centre in this league. But it will be with another team and we’ll be stuck with a 5 foot smurf.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think that’s a fair summation. My expectations have tempered a bit concerning Lars. I think he’s going to be a good two-way player in this league but not a top line star. That’s good enough for me.

• Eddie says:

I think Eller is done here and the feelings are mutual between him and management.

This will end in a trade.

Too bad. He’s one of my favourite players.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yikes Eddie. That feels like out of right field to me — what makes you think this? Say it ain’t so.

• Eddie says:

He’s playing terrible hockey and the Habs will move Galchenyuk to center, where he belongs. Eller is in a contract year and will want more than he’s worth to the Habs.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks. All makes sense. How awful.
            If a new coaching situation emerges and and Eller is established on a first/second line with the same linemates for 20 games, we would surely see MUCH more of his potential. Ok, so maybe we could get a good return for him, but it seems so wrong to think about trading someone who hasn’t really had a proper opportunity to shine.

• Eddie says:

Agree with you Mike.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

All we need, Eddie, is a few nice suits, brush up our French, find a bit of leverage (photos or other skeletons in closets), an unspoken acceptance that a small bit of violence or the threat of it might be unavoidable, and we can usurp the GM and HC spots. I’m phoning Aer Lingus.

• Stevie.Ray says:

There’s a lot of love for Eller who has yet to consistently be impressive, although he has been centring the third line his whole career.

• Dulljerk says:

I agree with you habs001, he is fast approaching being on the bubble as far as keeping him or trading him (his return value is still good at this point). I noticed at the beginning of the year he was playing more physical and it was working for him. Now he is very quiet out there (hurt, perhaps?). He definitely needs to step it up out there or they will be looking long and hard at him.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Maritime Ronn says:

It’s hard to know at this moment if Eller will be a Top 6, yet the question becomes has he been given a fair shake?
      A real chance over an extended period of time?

Remember the EGG line?
      They were going great until…..the head coach ripped it apart because another certain 1/2 dimensional center could not perform without the best sniper and the best blood and guts winger named Gallagher.
      Since then, Eller has been tossed around different positions and been forced to play with just about everybody.
      WHY?

Give Eller back his line mates – give them 1st Unit PP time – keep them together for 30 games and see what happens.

Eller – another potential young fella being destroyed for reasons most posters already know….

• Old Bald Bird says:

He was strong in the last half of last year and the beginning of this year, but then something happened. I would be very curious to see what he could do with Pax and Gally for for than a minute. This is part of my theory that DD, no matter how well he has been producing lately, holds the team back. It’s like other centres can’t play their proper role because of him. And Chucky plays LW.

58. JUST ME says:

Don`t know if you guys noticed but this is the only place still on the fire Therrien fixation. I really thought it was going away cause on about this afternoon thread from yesterday`s game you were back on D.D`s case. Could it be a language thing ? Naaahhhh ..And to think that yesterday a guy was thrown out of HIO for racial slurs…

Go habs go !

• Dunboyne Mike says:

It could probably look that way just now, Just Me.
      However, wouldn’t you reckon HIO wants to fight to preserve an egalitarian right to DUMP on coaches irrespective of language, just as they want to hire coaches irrespective of language?

During the ongoing debates here about same-sex marriage, a letter-writer to The Irish Times said: “I support same-sex marriage. Gay people have just as much right to be miserable as the rest of us.”

• Habilis says:

Speaking for myself, I’ve been on the fire Therrien train since about 10 seconds after I heard he was hired.

We could win our next 10 games and I’d still want him gone. He is not an NHL coach and he never has been. His inability to adjust in-game and his tendency to choose the vet over the young guy every time are crippling our team in the present and stalling development for the future. His “system” consists of dump and chase, a solid PK and a PP that has been figured out by the entire league, yet he still refuses to change it.

I’m not a fan, never have been. We’ll be a better team the day after he leaves.

• Old Bald Bird says:

No other site? You should read EOTP. No matter what you think of advanced stats, they seem pretty d@mning on MT.

59. Habilis says:

Per a Stubbs tweet, Paul Maurice didn’t even know who was playing in the Superbowl. The reporters had to tell him.

I want someone like that coaching les boys. Not the stubborn chicken wing dumpster we currently have.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Paul Maurice has been fired more times than the human cannonball.

He’s getting the new coach bounce.

Nothing more than that.

• Mark C says:

No kidding. Why aren’t any of the pro-Maurice people looking at his recent track record? In Toronto the team got worse in year two, before he was fired. When he was re-hired in Carolina, the team played well and had a playoff run. Year two and three no playoffs, fired again in year four.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Maurice is riding something natural: all players are so relieved by the change, and so fired up to prove that all along it was the coach holding them back rather than any limitations on their part, that they play several A games in a row, often winning them and looking like a new team.

Then the flakes in the snow-globe settle back down and reality returns.

(I’m sure there’s a pertinent and amusing romantic metaphor here. Anyone? I’m too tired).

• Maritime Ronn says:

Did you have a look at the rosters Maurice coached?
          He never had Crosby-Malkin-Leatang….and got fired because he couldn’t get them going.

• Habilis says:

Notice the “someone like that” part of the post. I was referring to his dedication.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Speaking of tweets, what happened to the HIO and Habs tweets? The heading is still over there on the left, but no tweeting….

60. Frozen Village says:

Lines after Olympics:
    Erat – Pleks – Jagr. Markov – Emelin
    Bournival – Chucky – Gally. Subban – Tinordi
    Roussel – Eller – Chiasson. Pateryn – Beaulieu
    Moen – White – Prust. Murray.

Glennie, Leblanc, Beach.
    Received a couple 2nds and a couple of 5ths aswell.

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

61. Tom says:

Marc Bergevin needs to build the Canadiens around: Carey Price, P.K. Subban, Alexei Emelin, Nathan Beaulieu, Max Pacioretty, Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk, Lars Eller, Michael Bournival & keep Tomas Plekanec for veteran presence.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I agree. Chucky can take over for Pleks when he leaves. They need to trade declining vets to build a strong and deep organization.

• Stevie.Ray says:

That game is tricky. Galley has barely played Center and it doesn’t look like he will any time soon. When is the right time to trade Pleks if the replacement never gets a chance.

I love Pleks. He’s been one of my favourites over the past 8 seasons, but it might be time to move him.

• He is, and this summer we’ll see Great changes in the organization. :) I don’t know, just replying for fun as I wait for check out.

He’s the only man in management I am giving extra rope to. I will give him the token 5 years, and fix this horrible situation.

Someone last week on radio or tv said he was told to hire Briere by Molson. I don’t know why, but hey Big ac sales are up. :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• Frozen Village says:

Whole heartedly agree with exception of Max.

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Marc Bergevin needs to go & take MT with him.

62. Tom says:

63. J.J. of Turku says:

This is really a hockey weekend for us in Europe. Nice… :D

Twitter: @jjturku

64. jols101 says:

Jets have me worried, then again, I think most teams are going to beat us. With the current lineup and coach, I am amazed we are where we are in the standings.

• Tom says:

They are where they are because of that streak they went on. If not for that the Habs would be looking way up.

• Habilis says:

The rest of the East, excluding Pittsburgh, Boston and sometimes Tampa, is awful. This is why we are where we are.

Just look at the Loafs. They’re like 9-1 in their last 10 and they’re only 2 points up on us and not even close to the B’s.

IMHO, Price and a weak East are the only reasons why Mike Therrien is still our coach. It’s all a giant mirage.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

This is definitely a factor.

Someone (you, Habilis?) did a persuasive projection a few days ago that showed how it might be entirely plausible for Montreal — playing more A games than duds — not only to make the playoffs but to progress to the ECF. I think it had a lot to do with mediocrity in the East.

• Habilis says:

Yeah, I did one of those a few weeks back while smashed.

It really is easy, all it takes is some upstart team like Columbus to upset the Pens in round one and then it’s clear sailing. We also have to beat the B’s, but that actually seems like the most plausible part of the scenario at this point.

Stuff like that keeps me hoping. ;)

However, thinking now and that one didn’t account for Ottawa. Hate to admit it, but they could be mucho dangerous.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Then you should keep drinking when posting, my friend! I thought it was a great post: not because it was all that likely, but because it could not be ruled out as implausible.

When we bring our A game, we can play with anyone in the East, including Ottawa against whom we’ve been, I think, unlucky.

The cliche about anything can happen in the playoffs is so persistent because it is so true. Montreal fans are lucky: we only have to look back to 2010 to know for certain that there is no argument against this.

Post another projection soon, please!

• Habilis says:

Haha, will do bud. And I agree, when we’re on and Price is between the pipes, we can go with anyone.
            Cheers.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Or even, against certain teams we particularly dislike, either Price OR Budaj between the pipes!

Looking forward to the next one.

65. Propwash says:

Beef stew going in the slow cooker, Habs game coming up, then the big ol handegg game later on. It’s gonna be a good Sunday.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

66. Habfan10912 says:

No one enjoys the Therrien bashing more then me. Keep the bashing coming. I love to read Shane and Ronn and Eddie. Entertainment at its best!

67. Say Ash says:

Hey Boone, Steelers gonna win today?

68. brianp1950 says:

hopefully they will play like they did against the Bruins and the Hawks if not it will be another afternoon of futility. Cannot understand why there is no forcheck?

69. TheBird19 says:

How much PP time will DD get today???

70. TheBird19 says:

Hmmm, is Price getting the start?

71. JohninTruro says:

Be tough to take the Jets off their high, but they are due for a loss, this will be a good game.

72. port elgin says:

Arena is packed, beers are selling, so yeah, He is enjoying every minute of it

73. RockinRey says:

well for starters? Markov, Gio, Bourque, Briere, I would unload Paros, Moen. The market may not allow it but I would like some bold moves.

I would look at what a team might offer for Pleky, Patches….and even quietly Price……

Not saying they can unload them all or need to but this team needs some changes……

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.