Liveblog: Game 55 – Canadiens drop matinee 2-1 to TB in OT

Thompson ends it

The Canadiens began Overtime on a power play and carried the play for most of the time.

But with 24 seconds left, Alex Killorn found Nate Thompson alone in front of Carey Price, and the Lightning's 36th shot – and first of OT – found the back of the net.

Briere ties it up

Despite minimal ice time, Daniel Brière has goals in two straight games.

The vetran took a pass from Brian Gionta to beat Ben Bishop.

That was it for scoring as we head to OT.

Full moon tonight?

Weird 20 minutes.

With Tampa Bay shorthanded, Nate Thompson's lob across the face of the Canadiens' goal ticked off P.K. Subban's stick and into the net past Carey Price.

Then there was a brawl during a TV timeout.

Unpleasantness began with Ben Bishop and Brandon Prust jabbing at each other, soon to be joined by George Parros and Radko Gudas, both of whom got misconducts.

Canadiens outshot the Lightning 10-8.

Molson Cup form

Carey Price, Player of the Month for January, is off to a good start in February.

Price made 10 saves and stopped Nikita Kucherov on a penalty shot during 10 minutes dominated by the visitors.

The Canadiens had six shots on Ben Bishop.

Afternoon delight

It's a Super Bowl weekend tradition: Your Montreal Canadiens play a pair of afternoon games at the Bell Centre.

A year ago, in the seventh and eighth games of a lockout-shortened season, the Canadiens swept Super Bowl weekend with a 6-1 romp over Buffalo on Saturday and a 2-1 squeaker against Ottawa on Sunday.

The 2014 opponents are Tampa Bay and Winnipeg, both of which present challenges ... but who doesn't, where the Canadiens are concerned.

Wins against Carolina and Boston gave the Canadiens a 6-6-1 record in January.

The team was 8-5-0 in October, 7-4-3 in November and 8-5-1 in December.

Because of the Olympic break, the Canadiens will play only seven games in February – five at the Bell Centre.

Two previous games against the Lightning this season went to Shootouts and ended with 2-1 final scores. Tampa Bay won at the Bell Centre Nov. 12, and Lars Eller, of all people, secured a Shootout win in Tampa on Dec. 28.

1. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Better passing on my beer league team.

2. Habilis says:

Starting to feel like we’ll be lucky to get out of this period tied. Need some sustained O-zone pressure.

3. Mavid says:

I am torn..I don’t mind Bob Cole, and I like that it is in english..but man o man..pinwheel Galley is really grinding my gears..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

4. Adidess says:

Another thing Eller needs to learn… Avoid getting hit every time you’re rushing the puck in the offensive zone, please pass or chip it in some times. Never seen a player run obliviously into so many hits.

5. scarboro_habitant says:

fans need to get going on the sauce. too quiet there. id be half gassed by puck drop.

6. Rudy says:

Emelin needs to start hitting people

7. Mondou6 says:

Why do I have the feeling that Parros is going to get concussed before this game is over.

8. Rob Maguire says:

Ah, the NHL and their priorities. Call an inconsequential hook and award a penalty shot, but ignore the clear retaliatory hit from behind.

9. joeybarrie says:

Hit right in the number no?

10. Plekasuares says:

Bs that hit was terrible.

11. Rob Maguire says:

So was that a hit from behind on Prust or what? This Gudas guy seems goonish.

12. duffy says:

Gudas the GOON!

13. sheds88 says:

ryan malone is exactly the type of player we need. maybe a little past his prime, but a big body with some grit and can score

14. Et le but says:

Beaulieu skating well….good decisions with puck

15. sheds88 says:

should that have been only a penalty instead of a penalty shot ? he got off a decent shot when beaulieu got him. he essentially got two cracks.
    just curious

16. PeterD says:

Afternoon games are Morning games out here on the west coast…and that sucks.

17. CJ says:

Just got back. Looks like I’ve missed a fight and penalty shot…

Let’s go boys!

• Mondou6 says:

Gallagher took a big but very clean hit, so Prust fought the guy.

Tampa got a breakaway, the guy was hooked, but still got a clean shot away. Got a penalty shot too, but he got off a lousy shot.

• CJ says:

Thank you! I almost forgot how bad Gary Galley is. No RDS at the cottage so I’m stuck with CBC.

Tampa looks like a desperate team unwilling to lose a third game on this road trip. Montreal needs to get their feet moving.

18. Mondou6 says:

CBC is so bad, it’s a non-stop Hab hatefest. The opposing teams’ feeds are always better and more objective.

Healy was practically foaming at the mouth ranting against us.

19. thebonscott says:

Don’t send Beaulieu down please

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

20. Ghosts of the Forum says:

@rudy — I thought that was a penalty too!

21. Habilis says:

Beaulieu is just like Diaz, only he’s much better.

22. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Eller line looks awful. Beaulieau should find an apartment in Montreal.

23. Plekasuares says:

I like Bob Cole…

24. scarboro_habitant says:

cole sounds especially sluggish today.

25. smiler2729 says:

Eller is lost

Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

26. Rudy says:

Shouldn’t that be unsportsmanlike or something for the 2nd shot on the penalty shot?

27. jols101 says:

Weird feel to this game. Crowd is still asleep and the players seem to be sleeping as well.

28. ffenliv says:

Nothing says ‘good time’ like watching a boring fight brought on by a legal check. Rough a guy up when he’d taking ILLEGAL liberties. Not just putting a good check on a guy.

29. Mavid says:

point was standing up for the Honey Badger..Prust is messing with our little fella

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

30. Rudy says:

Beaulieu owes Carey a beer!

31. piter says:

that’s bullshit, he got the shot off. shouldn’t of happened. only hooking…

32. stevieray says:

Subjected to Bob Cole !!!!…to rds I go ..even if I don’t know French

33. HabsFanInSaintJohn says:

Come on Boone, really?..what was that for?…

34. Plekasuares says:

Prust can’t fight

35. jols101 says:

Is the crowd napping?

36. Plekasuares says:

37. B says:

I see Boone can type the name of Tampa’s rookie (only 2 points behind MacKinnon in rookie scoring) without getting it blocked.

–Go Habs Go!–

38. Mavid says:

ug…gary pinwheel galley..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

39. thebonscott says:

That kid should sing anthems from now on, amazing

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• MasterHab says:

I know she’s only a teenager but that anthem singer needs to call Celine Dion for some English enunciation lessons. It’s “gave proof THROUGH THE night THAT our flag was still THERE”, not “gave proof TRUE DUH night DAT our flag was still DERE”

40. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Two games in hand on TB….

Ahhh Bob Cole

41. J.J. of Turku says:

PHEW! Just in time home from a hockey game. (We won 2-1) 😀 I’d like to see some more goals….

Twitter: @jjturku

42. Et le but says:

13 year old anthem singer just nailed both anthems!

43. habbytent says:

Holy Crap! no offence Americans but your anthem sounds amazing with a french female accent.

44. Plekasuares says:

Bork with 2 tonight

45. Just A Guy says:

My canadiens app is killing me. Each time the habs are about to play it tells me to get some snacks ready. “Great idea!” I think each time.

46. Rudy says:

Those of us in the states have to suffer through CBC. But it’s better than Florida feed.

47. Ghosts of the Forum says:

This is a massive game. Win and Tampa is within reach. Lose…

Lots of talk recently about how difficult it is to make up seemingly small ground in the standings. 6 points is a lot.

48. Rob Maguire says:

Glenn Healy just said the Canadiens are “too tired, too slow.” Does he even watch the games? This team has its share of problems, but those aren’t them.

49. db says:

Any thoughts on Thomas?

50. PrashadHabs says:

Anyone got a pretty clear RDS stream? I had a great one but it got shut done

Bishop sprawling on the ice making a save, had a concussion last game. he was hit on the head by the knee of one of his own players.

52. stevieray says:

Nap Time !!!!….suck it up Partner 🙂

53. habs001 says:

The reality is that for the Habs to do anything in the playoffs it will come down to goaltending and team d..timely scoring and pp scoring will also be needed..The team is in the bottom third in scoring right now and with the same roster the team will be at the bottom third once the season is over…This lineup is loaded with players that will score between 2 to 16 goals a season…

54. Plekasuares says:

• habsfan0 says:

Don’t these guys take flu shots as a precaution every year?
        It seems like they’re always inundated with it.

• Gerry H says:

If they actually had the flu every time it was reported that way, hockey players would have the highest incidence of that ailment of any segment of the population. Suspect most of them are just colds (which is how it is announced in French), which aren’t prevented by the vax.

• ffenliv says:

It may also be the close physical contact a lot of these guys have. You can label water bottles all you want. I know my teacher friends all get the flu, even though they’ve been given the shot.

This is in no way a suggestion that the flu shot is useless. I think there are some jobs where you’re just more likely to get it.

• Strummer says:

“It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Strummer says:

“It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

55. L Elle says:

Thomas with a goal and an assist! (if he gets more than 1 shift).

56. Et le but says:

Max hitting posts in the warmup….

• ffenliv says:

Years ago watching my hometown OHL game, a player drilled the crossbar in practice, the puck went up and over (before the mesh), and I caught it. At the time, as a kid, I thought it was great.

Later in the game, that same player drilled the crossbar on a breakaway, and a game-tying goal was lost. Ever since then, I’ve been pissed when I see players hitting the iron in warm-up. Practice success! 😛

57. Chuck says:

I’m not sure how I feel about watching a Hab game before I’ve had breakfast. Do I jump straight to the beer?

58. adadi says:

How do, all? Boone, looking forward to your illustrious illiteration, ignominiously offered.

• D Mex says:

Not sure why I thought Terry Ryan was from North Van – do I recall correctly that a Habs 1st rounder from North Van didn’t fare well ?

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

59. B says:

Is Filppula playing tonight? He didn’t finish the last game vs Ottawa. A TB blog said that 6’6″ Lindback hurt his ankle in a collision with 5’8″ Conacher Thursday but finished that game anyways. The same blog said that Cedrick Desjardins and Kristers Gudlevskis both practiced with Syracuse this AM.

Edit: The blogger has added an update saying “it looks like both Desjardins and Gudleskis are on their way to Montreal”.

–Go Habs Go!–

60. MikeHabs says:

I am hoping that Bishop can’t play today. He is taking warm ups and then it’ll be decided. If he can’t, then Desjardins will play, who has a terrible winning record in the AHL this year. Anyways, looking forward to watching Thomas! Have had the privilege in doing so in Hamilton. Kid has an unreal release. Hopefully he gets to use it today. Habs will miss the speed of Bournival though.

How good is Pacioretty’s contract?

• ffenliv says:

Does that mean they’re currently sporting 3 goalies on the active roster, in case Bishop can’t go, and Desjardins has to come out? Or will Bishop sit on the bench, praying he doesn’t have to go?

61. habsguru says:

So he is a bigger Gorges?

62. Chrisadiens says:

Regarding Bishop…

“@BartsBytes: Ben Bishop expected to take warm-up. If he can’t go, most likely Cedrick Desjardins gets the call.”

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

63. B says:

It seems like the hamsters have not had there coffee yet, man is the page slooow.

–Go Habs Go!–

64. Wintercount says:

Many diverging opinions concerning Tinordi. Can anyone who actually sees him play offer a perspective of his game.

• SmartDog says:

Good question. There was a bunch of stuff about him getting beaten in fights. Is this true or just a one-time thing someone’s making too much of. Every guy wins and loses some. And he doesn’t have to be a fighter to be physical.

Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• B says:

Fighting is not his ticket to the NHL. I don’t think he’s a natural pugilist, but he usually seems to hold his own well enough, stands up for team mates and doesn’t back down.

–Go Habs Go!–

• jols101 says:

I have only watched 3 or 4 games recently, all on my computer with a low quality feed, but he has looked good to me. Physical, with good mobility for a big man. He plays with an edge that is missing on the current Habs roster.

I think many see his stats, he doesn’t get many points, and conclude he isn’t doing very well. He will never be a point producer. He is a rugged, stay at home dman with good mobility and a decent first pass. He can log big minutes as well and play in any situation except the PP.

• JUST ME says:

Main problem is that people think he is a tough guy,fighter and can maintain justice. Far from being the thruth but just because he is big and tall we think the guy is our enforcer to be. WRONG ! He can protect himself and his teammates, can clear the front of the net easilly but not take on the job of a goon. I think that this is the main reason he is not progressing as he should be. For his own good and ours he should stay in Hamilton at least another year time enough to put him back on the right track and boost his confidence. He has not been playing with consistency this season and did not show up every game, tends to stop skating and use his long reach instead.
      He is a kid let`s not forget that also.

• JohninTruro says:

He dummied Gleason (no slouch) and Ashton (not a great fighter) in 2013 in the NHL.

• joeybarrie says:

Jarred Tinodi. 6foot7. 220 lbs.
      Turns 22 in three weeks.
      Will never be as good as we want him to be.
      Will never be as bad as we think he is during a slump.
      Its an excellent question because we want him to come up and be amazing. Save us from our size problems.
      However with young defensemen he is a few years away from where we will really see what we have in him.
      But I believe we have a good shut down d with size.
      if he can clear the front of the net and use his size as intelligently as Hal Gill does, he might be an incredible addition.
      But we will most likely see his negatives and treat him like we do Josh Gorges, not seeing his actual value.

65. habsguru says:

On my way to the game early, love the pregame skate, tells a lot of what’s coming. Ran into PK at breakfast, he is so good to the kids. Told him we need two points.

66. WVHabsfan says:

Did you get your name from a tv show? One of my favorite programs said that instead of the books actual title

67. WVHabsfan says:

Beat the Bolts!!!

68. piter says:

So, a couple of interesting notes concerning the game this afternoon. Our Habs are 24-0-3 when leading after 2 periods, and Tampa’s powerplay is 0 for its last 10 chances, although they have scored 2 shorties in the last 4 games. Oh by the way, TB has lost its last 2 games. The last stat is the one that I worry about. I find it difficult to think that Tampa will lose a third, but I believe our Habs will continue our winning ways and beat Tampa today. Big game for Eller. Go Habs Go.

69. Chrisadiens says:

Hmmm….my post dissapeared. Is “h” “e” double hockey sticks one of the b a n n e d words?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

70. GL says:

Two pretty even teams todays game will most likely be decided by Goaltending!!!

71. Cal says:

Tomorrow is Super Bowl 48. Here’s a sneak peak at the Half-Time Show. Ladies and gents, Here’s Bruno Mars and B.o.B. with Nothin’ On You.

• Chrisadiens says:

Nicely done, once again Cal.

Ya know, I have an old acoustic guitar…… We should start a band!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Mavid says:

Bruno Mars..who invited the RHCP…excellent…my man is playing in the pre game show..Phillip my tickets to see him at the NAC..March 12th..nice B day gift to myself…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf