Liveblog: Game 50 – Penguins chase Price, rout Canadiens 5-1

PricePens

Briefly a game

After 20 minutes, the Penguins led 2-1 and it was a hockey game.

Then it wasn't.

Three unanswered goals in the second period chased Carey Price and sealed the deal.

The Penguins got two goals from Jussi Jokinen and singles by Sidney Crosby, Taylor Pyatt and the dominant Evgeni Malkin.

Fresh from his penance in the pressbox, Rene Bourque scored for the Canadiens.

Carey Price was beaten five times on 21 shots.

Peter Budaj stopped all 10 he faced.

The Canadiens had 24 shots on Marc-André Fleury

20 minutes of Garbage Time

At least we were spared a goalie fight.

Price chased

Carey Price was done 15 minutes into the period, after Evgeni Malkin breezed past Andrei Markov and tucked in Pittsburgh's fifth goal.

Jussi Jokinene and Sisney Crosby – on exquisite power-play passing – also scored for the home team.

Price surrendered five goals on 21 shots.

Pittsburgh had a 14-7 shot advantage.

Bourque bounces back

Exiled to the pressbox for a game, Rene Bourque played a strong first period and tapped home a Daniel Briere pass to reduce the Penguins' lead to one goal.

Bourque's first road POINT of the season required a video review.

Jussi Jokinen had opened the scoring after Evgeni Malkin skated past Andrei Markov and set up his linemate for an easy one.

The Penguins made it 2-0 when Taylor Pyatt, parked on the lip on Carey Price's crease, redirected a power-play point shot by Matt Niskanen.

Shots were 9-7 for the home team.

The Canadiens will begin the second period on a power play.

Angry Penguins

Sounds like a disaster movie, set in Antarctica.

This one, however, will unfold at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, where the Penguin's are still smarting from a 5-1 thumping at the unlikely hands of  Florida Monday night.

The loss snapped a franchise-record home-ice winning streak that had hit 13 games before the Panthers hit town.

Sidney Crosby and friends will be looking to revive their winning ways against a Canadiens team that is playing .500 hockey and is tied, at 59 points, with the surging Leafs, who won their sixth straight in Colorado Tuesday night.

Two first-round draft choices – Louis Leblanc (18th overall in 2009) and Nathan Beaulieu (17th in 2011) – are expected to be in the Canadiens' lineup. Alexei Emelin and Raphael Diaz are healthy scratches.

1. boing007 says:

Toss the driftwood into the Saint Lawrence Seaway.

Richard R

2. TMan1969 says:

The trap don’t work…the dump and chase don’t work because there is only 2 lines chasing…

3. otisfxu says:

haen’t been here for awhile,,,I see all of you are still wasting time fretting about this bunch of average nobodies,,,,here we are mid season, and still playing yoyo wih the call ups. This organization hasn’t changed in 15 years,,,,juggle these clowns in any combination and you still end up with nothing.
    Now Price is a total basket case.

Oh no, not another 5 years of rebuikding!!! Geez, we got sucked in again

4. durocher says:

Come on Max, you have a young guy who can really use some confidence on a 2-1, and he’s open, and you shoot it into Fleury instead.

5. Eddie says:

Nice play for Louie Leblanc!,

6. habsfan999 says:

Gorges is simply not the defender he used to be. Some years ago he was a vertable shut-down defenceman, now he’s only half-there.

Crosby was left entirely alone two feet from the net for his power play goal. Gorges was about five feet away. Hal Gill would have had one of his legs down Crosby’s trousers and one of his hands in his face.

Really bad defencive breakdowns tonight. It’s like the guys had never heard of Crosby or Malkin before.

7. mrhabby says:

I hope Beaulieu stays up.

8. slapshot777 says:

So loving this grinding team (sarcasm)

9. sCOTT1243 says:

How many Bulldogs can we bring up? I say fill up the bus and put the dead weight on a flight to switzerland.

10. Sebby says:

I don’t post on here very often. I’m starting to think that a coaching change is gonna have to happen. We have one line which is the same game in and game out other then that is a revolving door. It’s a joke how he is running the team you never know who your gonna play with. Which means no chemistry.

11. port elgin says:

And to think I was looking forward to this game all day.

Won’t make that mistake again.

12. Habbu says:

I wish they played, like they care as much as we do.

13. slapshot777 says:

Seems like the only way to make this team and owners involved take note and do something is to stop buying and going to games once they see the money drying up that will wipe the smug of their faces.

14. durocher says:

We should trade for Simon Despres — he’d be a top 4 d-man on our blueline. He has size, can play the PP, and he’s a homeboy.

15. Slackman says:

Habs attack plan:

1. Skate to the blue line
    2. Dump the puck in deep
    3. Line change

16. Frank2468 says:

Well if this keeps up should be in wild card position by Sunday morning!!!

17. FlyingFrenchie says:

Our GM stands too close to the forest to see the trees.
    Perhaps a 3 month suspension to the janitorial department is in order.

18. durocher says:

Nice pass by Beaulieu — already he’s been more productive on the PP than Diaz has been this year

19. sCOTT1243 says:

Good pressure…a little too late boys. man Gally never quits. I would hand him the C right after this game.

I was excited to buy some tickets for a game in march for my birthday and take a trip to Montreal for a weekend. I think I will save my cash, I think I’d cry if I spent over $400 for 2 tickets to watch this team play right now.

Also really sucks being a habs fan living in TO right now. I might put my hat away for awhile :)

20. Mondou6 says:

Can we just decline the penalty, and leave the rink? It’s not like most of these players care anyway.

21. FormalWare says:

Brendan Prust has really sucked, this season, and this game. (No more so than 10 other guys – but he seems to get a pass from commentators, for some reason – maybe cuz he’s a “character guy”.)

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

22. tab says:

Too many players on Habs don’t play their natural position, about 8 of the forwards should only play centre simply based on size, defense has had a shortage of right shots for about 3 years now.

23. Habbu says:

I find watching 24CH that there’s not much creativity in the way MT communicates with his players. Seems to repeat the same things over and over. It’s like a wife nagging you with the same stuff. You nod and pretend to listen and understand what she is saying; but in reality you haven’t heard one damn word she’s said.

24. Frank2468 says:

Can we all sing the NA NA NA song? Oh dam that’s for when they win. Shucks I don’t think I’ll get a chance to sing it this year???

25. Plekasuares says:

Ughhhh so ughhh bowlyou has played well! :)

26. Habsfan888 says:

I think we as Habs fans deserve better. Time to let MB know that we demand a change. Lets all let him know. Enough is enough

27. Mondou6 says:

Watching Gallagher pummel Crosby would be the only thing that would salvage this game. Maybe the season.

28. durocher says:

Sid can’t take a hit

29. bender69 says:

new to this–can anybody out there see my posts? am I doing anything wrong

30. Mondou6 says:

I actually think we need more embarrassing games like this to stop any delusions that we are contenders. We are what we are, and it’s a completely mediocre team.

31. FlyingFrenchie says:

Too many players who do the same thing. (Mostly nothing)
    A coach who puts himself before the team.
    A GM who has not addressed the clubs needs over his tenure.
    An owner who should stick to cleaning beer vats.
    Foolish fans who sellout the Bell Center and embrace mediocrity.
    Alas…We are becoming what we most despise.
    T.O Maple Leaf fans.
    Tis a sad day indeed. :(

32. tab says:

Something I noticed is Habs always have like 11am practises and discipline is clearly lacking.
    Think what they clearly require is earlier practises on off days like 8am with an afternoon off ice training session. Speed teams win games in early part of season but if their fitness is average speed becomes less of an advantage as year progresses. Therrien screeming fits in dressing room is not discipline, hard work needs to come from top.

33. bender69 says:

3rd coming–what will happen??? be a sporting team Habs

34. Plekasuares says:

Ya HiB has it right below. We were the shittiest team in the league 2 years ago….it’s an improvement :)

35. jon514 says:

Sigh… I love the Habs, but I hate watching THIS team play hockey. Even when they win I feel like they should lose.

Enough with the locked down DUOs. Duos are for teams that don’t have TRIOs… Ship the vets out for some top prospects and let the kids play.

Markov, Plek, Budaj, Gio could probably bring back some solid bubble NHL talent with upside. Try and score big at the RW position. Target players, not draft picks.

36. Ktowner says:

So, who are the coaching/management candidates out there in hockey land?

37. slapshot777 says:

The problem is we have seen them play good as a team and skate, but one game like that seems to wear them down and they can’t repeat that performance

38. Eddie says:

The team did not show up tonight. It’s a real embarrassment for the coach, who must want to beat the Pens more than any other team.

39. TMan1969 says:

They win when they play as a team…individual equals a loss…

40. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

It’s not that the Habs are a bad team, it’s just that most of the other teams are better. Only the (usually) amazing play of Price and solid play from Subban, Plekanec, Gallagher, and a couple others have resulted in some wins. They’re my team, and I love them, but some players and definitely the coach need to go.

41. durocher says:

Taking the long view, this butt kicking is good because this game, and similar losses, will force some change. The jig is up — this serviceable lineup is not competitive.

* For starters, these UFAs should not be re-signed: Gio, Cube, Murray, Parros, Diaz
    * Next, as many of these players as possible should be traded or waived, because they are past their prime and don’t have sufficient redeeming value: Bourque, Moen, Briere, Gorges
    * Next, bring up and play: Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateyrn, Leblanc
    * Finally, if you can upgrade DD (e.g., Stastny), do it.

• bender69 says:

you forgot dog fucker Gionta

• JF says:

Pretty much agree, but I think I’d keep Moen. But Pateryn should certainly be called up and given enough games to evaluate how close he is to being able to replace Gorges. As for the impending free agents, certainly don’t sign any of them. Beaulieu can replace Diaz.

I’m trying to teach myself to hope they lose each game. The best thing for the future would be for the team to plummet down through the standings, finishing somewhere near the bottom, though I doubt they can catch Buffalo. Since they blew a 3-goal lead to Carolina in two and a half minutes, I’ve stopped watching the games; I just keep an eye on the score.

42. morivera says:

We need:

1) Bigger players
    2) to stop signing players who had their best years 5 or 10 years ago.
    3) more beer to watch these games

43. Samovich says:

Genie Bouchard walking in to her match with headphones and no smart suit, Don Cherry would be miffed!

44. Frank2468 says:

“For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!”

45. Habbu says:

I don’t think they will dump MT during the season. MB seems to be a very patient man. But if the poor showings continue; he’ll be gone this summer for sure. MB won’t have a choice. His task was to have the team improve. I’m seeing the exact opposite…..

46. habsfan0 says:

Is Guy Boucher really the solution for the Habs?
    He looked good undoubtedly in his 1st season as HC of the Lightning,but then things quickly fell apart.

47. CalgaryHab says:

Pens team and individual stats are padded because they feast on poorly coached/managed eastern conference teams like the Habs. They’ll be dismantled in the finals when they meet either the Ducks, Sharks, Hawks, Blues or Kings.

• slapshot777 says:

I don’t care about the Pens in a few years they will be sucking again. They will have to tank to try and pick up a first overall pick again.

• Mondou6 says:

The Pens have had the best player in hockey for the past 2-3 decades, and their fans still suck. As soon as Crosby is done, they’ll go back to drawing 500 people per game, and they will be crying about folding again.

Buffalo has better fans than this lame franchise.

• gumper says:

That may be true, but only makes me feel worse considering how much better they are than the CH.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

48. Josh that stick in your hands on the PK goes between you and the passing lane.

Hey Prust, was that puck around the boards too hard for you?

Andre, no harm in calling it a night, btw, my offer is 4mil/yr :) JK buds, I know you’re tired.

Hey Therrien, you don’t even know when to pull the goalie. :lol:
    Next time, whisper in Gionta’s ear a message to Price. “Carey, we’ll get Peter in after the intermission, sorry buds”

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

49. Davey93 says:

Benoit brunet is only rds analyst with the balls to point out Therrien’s mistakes, cudos to him.

50. Captain aHab says:

Brunet actually criticized MT for his decisions…said MT likely is hoping that Bouchard wins tonight to take the focus off of him.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

51. Eddie says:

Damphouse says Therrien better hope Genie wins her match, so that people won’t be putting pressure on him.

They were all laughing!!

52. Jdub1985 says:

Price is one of the most inconsistent athletes I’ve ever seen – he reminds me of an Allen Iverson – can show up and put on a show and look like one of the best – but the next night get chased – a star like that gets no rings or in this case no cups

53. Captain aHab says:

This situation is ripe for a really really bad trade. Why you ask?

MB likely doesn’t want to throw in the towel already on MT since that will be admitting to a major error on his part. But if he doesn’t fire him, he has to start making him look good pretty soon to not look stupid himself. So I can really see a youth and/or draft pick for a middling stopgap rental trade shaping up.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• mrhabby says:

Will see how disciplined bergevin is..fair point.

• Mondou6 says:

I agree 100%.

I just pray that MB has the cojones to admit that this roster is crap, and not make a stupid short term trade that will hurt us long term.

I don’t hate MT, but even his supporters can’t possible argue that he has gotten the best out of this team.

54. 4m3y2j says:

Such an embarassment to what should be a proud franchise.I am not tuning in any more,to this season.MB if yiou cannot see the lack of chmistry then u r blind,too old(Markov)too apathetic and no leadership.PK CARES,GALLAGHER CARES,PRICE AND PLELS CARE,THE REST CARE LESS…TANK THE SEASON GET SOME TOP DRAFT PICS,GET RID OF THERRIEN.BY TUNING OUT I MEAN THE REST OF THE SEASOM=N,WHY SHOULD I CARE IF THEY DON’T JOKE!!!!!!

john slattery

55. VancouverHabsFan says:

WHY CAN’T THEY CLEAR THE ZONE!!!!! AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

56. gumper says:

As a way to pass a winter evening this team ranks somewhere between shovelling the driveway and getting your car out of a snowbank. Actually either of those would at least provide a little useful cardio. Stink, stank, slump. Your move MB.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

57. zorro says:

Ok MB, Your team can’t compete, its too small. They look slow, tired, worn, burn’t out. There is no compete level, LL, is no solution.

58. B says:

TSN is channeling HIO with it’s Habs shitfest.

–Go Habs Go!–

59. AH says:

Lol!!!!!!! The Tsn guy just asked Crosby if they were worried about the Habs gooning it up, how? Is DD going to kneecap Malkin?

60. Stimpy007 says:

Whats up with Prust this year? He’s hasnt done anything!

It is amazing how many of folks here must have expected that the Habs were an elite team this year. Criticize constructively, for example Eddie has been very critical with realistic posts. But the posts where people just shit all over the team for the sake of having a shit are just ridiculous.

Enjoy your crap those of you. The team is far from ready for contending, but some posts really make a person wonder if they understand how hard it is for a team to build a real contending team. MB has to learn from mistakes, no doubt about it. And perhaps maybe hopefully a coaching change is required. But the team cannot become a contender in 1 or 2 years.

Lets be realistic.

Only 2 years ago we were one of the worst teams in the league

• WAR72 says:

Its been twenty years. Not one or two.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Well said, there is still work to be done on this team but I think we are headed in the right direction. Let’s not sound like Leaf fans did a couple weeks ago.

• HIB, most didn’t expect an elite team. I for one knew there were holes, but to not show up? To get shellacked so many times I can’t count? To pump up Price as the only (well, one of few bright spots).

Habs fans are sick and tired of mediocrity and when LA beats us 6-0, we regularly let in 3 plus goals and dry up in scoring, it gets really hard to be even interested when even the good pieces are mismanaged.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• slapshot777 says:

Not an elite team by no means, but improvement from season to season. yes. This team has no improvement only regression. That mantra “No Excuses” well that is all they have been doing this season.

• gumper says:

Sorry Burly, but people are entitled to feel shortchanged by the product of late. Something’s wrong with the compete level on this team, beyond the fact that they’re not yet elite. This team is playing disorganized passionless hockey, and no one seems to know how to deal with it.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• boing007 says:

Baloney. MB should not have made those mistakes in the first place. Geoff Molson should not have hired a rookie GM to right the CH ship either.
      Richard R

• kalevine says:

and last year they were one of the best

• Badwich says:

Your tune never changes.

Taberwitt

62. mrhabby says:

Jennifer Lopez looking good…

63. Can’t wait to hear Dregs rip Price :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

64. slapshot777 says:

I don’t like to bash MT but I truly think there is nothing left he can do with this team. Not pumping Bouchers tires, but if the coach has to be French he seems the best choice to work with the younger players. I don’t see anyone who can come in and do that only him where is has that junior coach mentality.

65. B says:

Leblanc has more ES TOI than his line mates Moen and Bournival.
    Eller has more ES TOI than his line mates Plekanec and Gionta.

–Go Habs Go!–

• slapshot777 says:

Bournival was doing good until he got bounced around like a ping pong ball and lost all confidence. If you needed a coach for that MT is the man. JJ has to go as well. He is a MT supporter and whatever he is telling his defense is just not working. Get Robinson back here next season.

66. Ring of Fire says:

I was actually looking forward to watching this game….how do u not show up….we can’t win against physical teams,fast teams who can we beat…screw this I’m going by the fireplace n having a CC n ginger n listen to some Pink Floyd and 70’s rock n roll

The Thin Blue Line.

67. Plekasuares says:

AT LEAST bork scored :)

68. Ron says:

This team is looking so disorginized Douglas Murray won’t even accept a contract extension.

69. stephen says:

I think I’ve sussed it out, folks.

Didn’t the Leafs go on a bad skid after beating the Hawks?

Chicago obviously has some serious pull with the hockey gods.

70. mrhabby says:

All very predictable given pens got kicked by florida and habs play is trending down.

What’s up Marc Bergevin.

71. slamtherimtim says:

I think tomorrow is a scheduled day off and they are starting it tonight

72. JohninTruro says:

Quietly Beaulieu with a very solid 2 periods and a plus 1 on the night so far.

73. wild flower says:

Seems a bit like the end of the Koivu era. On a good team the captain should be one of the more important players and Gionta is less and less important in my opinion. I am not sure he was ever the “right” captain for team based in Montreal.

74. AH says:

Can we invoke the mercy rule and move on to Detroit?