Liveblog: Game 5 – Senators end Canadiens season

PK

Senators close out Canadiens with 6-1 romp

Well, it was close for a while.

P.K. Subban's power-pplay goal trimmed Ottawa's early lead to 2-1.

Then the roof caved in.

Kyle Turris scored a shorthanded goal in the second period to begin a run of four unanswered Ottawa goals.

Daniel F. Alfredsson and Cory Conacher scored on power-plays, and Eric Condra got the sixth.

By then, many fans had left the Bell Centre.

The ones who stayed gave the Canadiens a well-deserved ovation as they stoff at centre ice, waving their sticks.

Canadiens com

Miracle on Mountain St.?

No Carey Price.

No Brian Gionta.

No Brandon Prust.

No Lars Eller.

No Ryan White.

No hope?

Your bruised and battered Montreal Canadiens face elimination Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

To the undoubted delight of Gary Bettman, four big-market American teams – the Rangers, Islanders, Blackhawks and Kings – are still very much alive in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

But if Ottawa wins – and you have to like their chances – the Canadiens will join the Canucks and, imminently, the Leafs as Canadian teams unable to survive the first round of the postseason.

Can the Canadiens stay alive?

It may come down to the heroics of a Slovakian goaltender – which is not unprecedented in the annals of Montreal hockey.

Can Peter Budaj channel the playoff brilliance of Jaroslav Halak?

Puck drops 7:10ish. Check back later for live game blogging.

• The illustration of a zebra and his seeing-eye dog is by the brilliant Josie Gold, aka GG11.

• Your pre-game laughs: James Reimer's wife turning the death stare on Dion Phaneuf's girlfriend, former Montrealer Elisha Cuthbert. And The Goal again

2,030 Comments

1. Mavid says:

my heart is broken, of all the teams to lose to, the one with the worse fans on the planet…sigh…

2. timothy13 says:

The Montreal Canadiens had little and then no luck this series against Ottawa. Funny, Ottawa like a many teams over the last number of years have humiliated the Habs and enjoy their flaws. Bad. Poor. Average Goaltending. Defense that falls apart half way through the game and this short season. Seriously though Ottawa proved AGAIN the Canadiens are too small, and lack depth therefore by the end of 35 plus games their weakness illustrated the team was spent. Empty. The Classless Award goes to Ottawa for completely kicking a struggling team when they are down and out (injuries caused by the Sens) @ home. Oh well….the good news is the Habs GM saw the result and changes will come. Please get a new number one goalie. Price is not himself and should be shipped to a bottom feeder team so he can look better than he actually is. Ha. Ha.

3. ffenliv says:

I suppose at the end of the day, 9 goals in 5 games was never going to cut it. Say what you want about the refs (and I’m firmly opposed to those who say the refs gave the series to the Sens), the Habs couldn’t score.

Even tonight they had plenty of chances to score first – something they managed to do the entire time they did well this season – and lots of PP opportunities in the second, and just didn’t do squat.

I think they were gassed; I think the injuries to Emelin and Eller, and whatever nagging business Prust has really hurt; I think the Senators are much better than their records due to their early and mid-season injuries.

The off-season will be interesting.

• The Jackal says:

Refs gave them 2 goals last game, our 2 goals were enough…
      Say what you will, you’re wrong about the refs.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• ffenliv says:

I’m not wrong, I’m wrong ‘in your opinion’. That’s all I was expressing: my own opinion.

The Habs were outscored 13-0 in this series’ 3rd periods. The sens score 45% more goals in the thirds than the Habs scored in all 5 games put together.

• The Jackal says:

Sure, and the majority of those came in games that were already out of reach. Habs were the better team, Sens got the bounces… they won. It happens.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I naturally have been completely biased about the ‘specialness of the Montreal Canadiens and Our Fans since I was a little boy, now going on 60 years

…My Team will always be My Team, …it’s ‘specialness’ a given

…but, looking on at half Our so called Fans walking out of the stands half-way through the third I realize the evolution to a pedestrianism of the Montreal Canadiens Fan-base that almost has sunk to the pitiable obliviousness and superficiality of da Toronto Mapleleaves’ fan-base

…it made Me ill trying to rationalize the sight of the vermin ‘fans’ scurrying up the stairs to the exits to My Son, whom I have taught the lore of Our Habs and it’s Fans since He was a child

…screw ‘em, I hope They all move to Toronto to be with their ‘kin’

• The Jackal says:

Every team has ‘em, we’re still the class of the league HiS!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Chuck says:

So you’re complaining that Habitant Is Surrey–B.C., on the other side of the country–.. doesn’t attend enough Hab games to justify his comments?

_______________________________
      Anyone but the Sens. And Boston. Oh, and the Laffs, too.

• sevenman says:

” …the rat fans that left the Bell Centre without thanking Our valiant Habs for the best season in years, makes Me feel dirty sharing the common description of being a Hab Fan”

This website often makes me feel the same way

_________________________________

Full-time reader…..part-time poster

5. savethepuck says:

Oh well, I definitely expected more than only 5 playoff games after the season we had. Very frustrated right now, but I’m sure I’ll get over it. Seemed we usually dominated early and Anderson kept them in almost every game in the series and then ( maybe my Bleu blanc et Rouge glasses) Ottawa seemed to get every break, bounce and call.
    I know I will spend an entire summer thinking that if the refs don’t screw us in game 4, we are tied 2-2 in the series with home ice advantage, and our starting goaltender is not hurt ffs ffs ffs.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

6. habstrinifan says:

Didnt P.K score the last goal two seasons ago?

• savethepuck says:

Yes he did. Hard to forget the goal that sent game 7 to OT.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

7. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The first post game post I want to make is to thank the Habs for a good season. They surpassed my expectations which, in the end, is all I can ask for. The good news is at least the future looks bright. Hopefully management learned something from this series…

8. Ring of Fire says:

Out coached.. out hit.. out scored.. beaten soundly..Maclean owns Therrien…too small …now all the excuses coming out about injuries…team went south once Emelin went down…think their headed in right direction but who really knows….get something for Pleks because he’s useless atypical perimeter player on this team

I would agree,he’s playing like the Shuttsian of old

9. habsonly says:

Great run by the Habs unfortunatley it came to a close so early, thought we’d get to the 2nd round at least, we were the better team in this series, Anderson and the reffs killed us.
    Would like to see an early exit of the Laffs to help ease the pain I’m feeling, even though the Bgoons have to take them out.
    Didn’t post much but enjoyed the posts the insight and humour,
    cheers all!! Have a great summer, next year will be even better.

10. Savardian_Spinorama says:

Bergeron on Anti-Chambre accuses Price of faking injury. Unbelievable.

11. ffenliv says:

Earlier in the evening, someone said we ‘lost’ Timo.

Where’d he go?

12. SmartDog says:

On the up side… we just scored a higher draft pick!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

13. podbay says:

I detest the Senators – from their dickish coach through to Chris Neil. I hope they go down in four straight against the Pens. Habs had more than a decent season, and lots of positives moving forward for 13-14. The rooks are awesome, Eller is developing, Subban is the bomb. Can now stop watching hockey until October. Thanks, Boone, for your continuing most excellent coverage throughout the year.

14. habstrinifan says:

I have kindA recovered a bit. Thank you Boone! Thank you everyone for sharing the season with me here at HIO.

15. jphk says:

Nothing classy about the Sens. I hope the Pens crush them

• rjcp says:

Why? They might be the only Canadian team in it if the Leafs fall. The last thing I want to be is a sucky, sore loser as a Hab supporter. Other than the Gryba hit, they beat us fair and square, or maybe we beat ourselves due to our obvious lack of blah, blah, blah. We need a lot to address over the summer, it was painfully apparent this series. Good luck to them, hope they go far.

• podbay says:

I agree with rjcp that the Senators won fairly and were the better team. Doesn’t mean one has to cheer for these assholes, does it? The last thing I want to see is a goon like Chris Neil raising the Cup over his head. Ever.

• Mavid says:

agree nothing classy about them at all..and don’t get me started about their fans..i too wish they lose in 3…

• The Jackal says:

They did not win fairly nor are they classy.
        They got sucked into the BS narrative their bogus team has put forward. Head-hunting lucky losers is what they are.
        They’ll be out in a week.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• podbay says:

Agree with you. Also disagree with this absurd philosophy or belief that Canadians must cheer for the last remaining Canadian team in the playoffs. Completely ludicrous. I’d prefer the Sens to go down in three, but unfortunately it has to be four. (And the Leafs will fall tomorrow.)

16. Chuck says:

Twenty and counting. Sigh…

_______________________________
    Anyone but the Sens. And Boston. Oh, and the Laffs, too.

17. nychabsfan says:

Well,we did overachieve and we should be proud for the positives-
    Prust,Eller,Gally & Gally and of course the incredible PK.
    The future is bright but we need fill ins and I really think we need to look at Price because although he was a winner everywhere else,I just don’t know,I honestly don’t know and that is the saddest take away from all of this….Hindsight is always 20/20 but do you think we made the right move with Ryder ?Deharnais ?Paccioretti ?A lot of questions folks and another long summer…..

nychabshan

18. Habilis says:

Here we go… Patches confirms he was playing despite a separated shoulder.

Doubt if he’ll be going to play for the USA. What about Galchenyuk though? I think he’ll get an invite for sure. Would love to see him go. PK is a lock to go for Canada, I think.

19. habsfan0 says:

It’s somewhat fitting that the last goal of the season was scored by our future captain,PK Subban.

20. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Just to change topics, I hate those towels. People should be clapping their hands not waving towels, we need thunder in the arena, not a cute visual.

21. Sportfan says:

So without saying Price Plek and the people that trolls complain about who won’t6 be in a Habs uni?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

22. Propwash says:

I’ll still be lurking and posting, but all the best to everyone throughout the summer, and onwards to next season!

GO HABS GO

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

23. Habsbill24 says:

A 6-1 loss at home was not exactly going out in a blaze of prideful glory. A lot for MB t o fix. We were deluded by the results of the first 40 games. Would this team have worn down over a 82 game season? Some broken parts. Centers should be Eller, Galchenyuk and Pleks playing third line penalty killing time. Fourth line center should be a right handed faceoff guy. No spot for DD and damn his extension. Beaulieu and Tinordi along with PK and Emelin (if he is healthy) should get major minutes. A fifth D with size needs to be added. Gorges can be the sixth, Cube the 7th. Diaz goes and Markov get bought out. Goodbye to Ryder and add a couple of wingers with size. Young goalie to push Price who so far after six years has proven to be only average, not an elite goalie.

24. Sportfan says:

Make the Habs know we are proud by tweeting etc!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

25. thehammer says:

I wish there was a way to get rid of DD

26. kempie says:

Finished 27th last year, 4th this year. I’m good with that.

Subban, Price, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Max, Plex, Tinordi, Emelin, Beaulieu, Collberg, Dietz, Hudon, Kristo. I’m also good with that.

27. Top Corner says:

Great Job BOONE, STUBBS !!! This new clickidy play-by-play was great…I was on here almost every night and really enjoyed both the live blog and comments too !! No complaints on the 1/2 season , was very happy to watch this team and will be even more excited for next season ! ! #GHG #seeyouinseptember

28. Corson27 says:

Thank you Habs it was a great ride form the end of the lockout to now, there were too many passengers this series and this is their stop so off the bus please.

29. HFX-HabFan says:

Pretty sure the Senators’ luck will run out quite quickly next round against a healthy Pittsburgh team.

30. Small_Town_Boy says:

MB get a real Goalie coach this summer. Someone to drive Carey.

Dat’s wha me tinks

31. Strummer says:

Operating theater- form an orderly line please !

Gionta- it’s the left bicep? Didn’t we do the right last year?

Any other ‘ceps while we’re at it?

Tri, Quadra ?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

32. Habgirl says:

A bonus is we now draft 16th so a chance at a good player!!

33. Ian_Habs4life says:

Classy move by the sens. On the home page of their official website it thanks Montreal for a great series. Overall it was a fun year, alot better than 15th place. Hopefully we can get better and bigger in the offseason. Looking forward to a great 2013-2014 season! Go Habs Go

34. SlovakHab says:

Thank you Mike Boone and HIO staff for your work this season. Look forward to your offseason work and let’s see what 2013-14 brings us.

I would love Mike Boone’s Live Blog and ALN for next season. Always a great read.

Cheers all

35. twilighthours says:

Will this team be better next year?

We’ve witnessed the arrival of some special young players: subban, galchenyuk, Gallagher, eller, even tinordi

Some players had nice rebound seasons: bork, plex

Solid performances by vets: gionta, Prust

But we’ve also seen the steady decline of Markov. gorges isn’t going to get any better. Diaz has been exposed for what he is.

From where I sit, there are significant question marks around patches, dd, and price.

I watch hockey for fun, and so it was a lot of fun this year.

But I’m not convinced this team will be better next year.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Re-signing both Desharnais and Bouillon in-season were mistakes in my opinion. Our roster looks a lot more cluttered going into the summer than it should be, while still not fully addressing all of our needs.

• Habsbill24 says:

Max is 23 and be one of the few forwards with size. Once Cole left his role changed dramatically. He was playing with two smurfs and here was no one to get him the puck. You do not trade 23 year old or forwards with size (he led the Habs in scoring the last two seasons) instead you get someone to complement his skill set. I would have loved to see Chucky centering Max and Gallagher. Max was also playing hurt in these playoffs.

36. habs-fan-84 says:

Makes it a lot easier when the future is bright.

37. jedimyrmidon says:

On to the draft!

38. bbruin11 says:

Hey Hey , Goodbye ! Fore!

39. 123456 says:

I do not hate Ottawa – they played well. The teams were very even this season.

I hate to say it but I’m the only person in my hockey pool that picked the Sens – the kicker????? I’m the only Habs fan (I’m in NY).

Lets not get into off season moves – just reflect on an entertaining season – only one team wins the cup and no matter the round you lose in it just sucks.

Good season and a lot to build on – Subban is awesome, Emelin came a long way. Both Gally’s impressed at times. I am not a huge Eller fan but he is solid and getting better. Prust is fantastic – Price/Budai sometimes play great (just have to get the stinkers out of the way).

40. habsfor25 says:

It’s been a pleasure to enjoy this great season with you guys, at the end of the day they gave us a great winter and surprised us all. Unfortunately, injuries ruined us to the point of no return. Here’s to a bright future!

41. johnnylarue says:

Cheers, Boone!

Stick around, will ya!

42. SlovakHab says:

Say what you want about the regular season, but in the playoffs the Canadiens were just the same last-place team we know.

Looking good if you watch for a few minutes, but not able to score, play quality D or get under opponents skin and pummel their goalie.

There is still a long long way to go. These series showed that we are still an average team at best.

43. Plekasuares says:

Go habs Go thank you Mr.Boone

44. Ton says:

did the walrus shake our players hands?

45. Sportfan says:

What no playoff liveblog D:

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

46. gumper says:

Well, enjoy your shave tomorrow morning guys. Thanks for creating this community for us Booner and staff. Thanks to all for being my true Habs family this year. Will enjoy the debriefing and speculation next week, the draft in June, free agency in the summer. Can’t wait till the puck drops next October.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

47. Plekasuares says:

Sniff sniff WAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHWAWWAAHWWAQWAAHAHAHAHHAHWAHAHAH

48. Habsbill24 says:

Given the scores, one of the worst playoff performances by a Habs team in their history. Strange given how they easily be up 3-2, but blown out in the other two games. Sobering result which will give MB a lot to think about in evaluating this team over the summer. Cannot go into another season this small again. Goodbye to Ryder, Halpern, Weber and Kaberle. Maybe White and Dumont. Don’t know what to do with Markov who was a horrible liability in his own zone all year nd carries a 5.75M cap hit next year. Let’s be honest, we should use the amnesty buyout on Kaberle and a regular buyouts Markov.

49. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Great season! Great future with some of these guys!

Have a great summer y’all (except the Habs haters)

50. jedimyrmidon says:

So… when will we learn that half of the remaining team was playing injured?

51. The Dude says:

Hey ,a real Goalie’s on TV

52. Bill says:

Thank you Mike Boone for keeping this place going. I truly appreciate it.

53. Mavid says:

some of the stuff that gets removed on here is ridiculous.. honestly is everyone that sensitive..i hardly said anything that offensive..

really..

54. C-Sword says:

What’s wrong with RDS asking Anderson his thoughts about facing the Pens next round? The Isles are not done.

55. topher5468 says:

Ole boys, I love this team and my fellow fans, Hard to swallow, but a fun season. Goodnight boys

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

56. Habilis says:

Thanks for another great season Booner. Keep on keepin’ on.

57. habs1992 says:

Stay Positive, Always next year, Bright Future, any more cliches im missing

I support Carey Price

• HardHabits says:

I see what you did there.

• habs1992 says:

what did I do there, Im just a little frusturated and I hear this every year, Im sure we have a good team but you just never know, injuries could happen again next year and the new conferences and such gonna be harder then ever to make playoffs

I support Carey Price

58. HabFanSince72 says:

A wave of the towel to you too Mr Boone.

59. LimestoneHab says:

Thanks HIO and of course Les Boys! Excellent season guys! Merci.

60. shootdapuck says:

Michel Lacroix sounded like he was in tears!

=================================================
    The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
    “Le game est tous de hard work”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

61. Habilis says:

So… what’s on TV these days??

62. SC27 says:

I am positive we will be healthy next year and a contender in the next 2 or so years, enjoy your summers!!

63. LaSalle17 says:

Thank you Mr. Boone for your outstanding commentary throughout the season. You going to liveblog the Finals?

64. Maksimir says:

Thanks Boone! See you in Sept!

65. danhabsfan says:

Did Anderson and Budaj play together, maybe in Colorado?

66. punkster says:

Thanks Mr. Boone!

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

67. habs-fan-84 says:

Good season boys!
    Nothing to be ashamed of.

Lots to look forward to.

Cheers

68. Maksimir says:

Fun season… great moments… next season I hope they filet the Sens…

69. RH says:

Fantastic season overall!! It’s always good when a team, who no one gave a chance to make the playoffs, surprises us all.

70. jefferson88 says:

Better than expected season, see you all in September

• danhabsfan says:

Sorry, it’s never good enough unless you get the Cup, that is whee the bar needs to be set.
      Yet, I love the Habs and feel bad.

71. L Elle says:

A very very cold handshake between Therrien and that #2.

72. NLhabsfan says: