Liveblog: Game 5 – Senators end Canadiens season

PK

Senators close out Canadiens with 6-1 romp

Well, it was close for a while.

P.K. Subban's power-pplay goal trimmed Ottawa's early lead to 2-1.

Then the roof caved in.

Kyle Turris scored a shorthanded goal in the second period to begin a run of four unanswered Ottawa goals.

Daniel F. Alfredsson and Cory Conacher scored on power-plays, and Eric Condra got the sixth.

By then, many fans had left the Bell Centre.

The ones who stayed gave the Canadiens a well-deserved ovation as they stoff at centre ice, waving their sticks.

Canadiens com

Miracle on Mountain St.?

No Carey Price.

No Brian Gionta.

No Brandon Prust.

No Lars Eller.

No Ryan White.

No hope?

Your bruised and battered Montreal Canadiens face elimination Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

To the undoubted delight of Gary Bettman, four big-market American teams – the Rangers, Islanders, Blackhawks and Kings – are still very much alive in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

But if Ottawa wins – and you have to like their chances – the Canadiens will join the Canucks and, imminently, the Leafs as Canadian teams unable to survive the first round of the postseason.

Can the Canadiens stay alive?

It may come down to the heroics of a Slovakian goaltender – which is not unprecedented in the annals of Montreal hockey.

Can Peter Budaj channel the playoff brilliance of Jaroslav Halak?

Puck drops 7:10ish. Check back later for live game blogging.

• The illustration of a zebra and his seeing-eye dog is by the brilliant Josie Gold, aka GG11.

• Your pre-game laughs: James Reimer's wife turning the death stare on Dion Phaneuf's girlfriend, former Montrealer Elisha Cuthbert. And The Goal again

2,030 Comments

1. shootdapuck says:

Will MT shake hands/flippers with the Walrus?

=================================================
    The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
    “Le game est tous de hard work”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

• shootdapuck says:

NOPE!

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

2. Yussuf Al-Habbi says:

Nice ending! thanks Habs for a great season!

3. Strummer says:

Stick a fork in it
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

4. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Let’s get a Leafs Suck! chant

5. The Dude says:

GreAT FANS…… deserve more

6. SUMO says:

Kind of a tragic way to end what was really an encouraging season. Therrien and Bergevin brought back some of the luster of the Habs. Rookies emerged and some of the younger players took major steps forward to renergize the fan base.

The draft is coming up and I hope MB can unload some of the deadweight and Timmons can uncover a couple of Brandon Prust clones.

Good or bad; the Bleau, Blanc Rouge are back and the bus is headed in the right direction. See you all again at the Draft….

7. Sportfan says:

One final Ole?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

8. thehammer says:

I kept watching because I can never turn off a game but also to see the fans reaction. Just as I suspected. I like to see that

More good news. No riot tonight.

10. STLHabsFan says:

haute-la haute-la haute-la…

11. Et le but says:

Thank you Mike Boone and the HIO commentariat for a great ride in this my rookie season with you all.

12. danhabsfan says:

I still love my Habs.
    Have a great summer gang.
    See you sooner than you think.
    Dan

13. RH says:

Classy fans!!

14. LimestoneHab says:

Did anyone else just see alfredsson ask Maclean if he was taking a timeout? A.. Holes

15. Small_Town_Boy says:

Keep PK & blow up the rest of the D. Get rid of DD

Dat’s wha me tinks

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Tinordi also. At this point I’d use my amnesty clause on DD. They should have flipped him after last season when he had some value.

16. The Teacher says:

Alfie just asked McLean if he wants to call a timeout

17. Habbu says:

Pretty well played out the way I thought it would. Too much to over come.
    I have to admit I was thrilled for the most part this year; with the kids especially. We have a good management team now and I am confident they will make the necessary moves to make us better next year.
    Same feeling as riding the roller coaster at the county fair. A lot of ups and downs but pretty thrilling overall. Until its all over and then I usually want to lie down somewhere to puke.
    See ya at the draft table brothers And sisters.
    And a special thanks to Mike for your all your efforts!

18. Sportfan says:

Game sucks but still proud of our team overall!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. L Elle says:

Training camp only 4 months away. A lot to look forward to.

20. jedimyrmidon says:

Haha, the Ole Ole Ole song.

21. I feel bad for those fans in the stands, they deserve better!

Good job to all the online cheerleaders too. We did a great job trying to keep everyone’s spirits up.

See you all in NJ, Have a great spring!

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

22. Storman says:

I think the refs are singing Ole song

23. habsfan0 says:

After clinching a playoff spot in Buffalo, Habs ended the season at 4-9.
    All due to injuries?
    I wonder.

24. NLhabsfan says:

Ah well always next year:)

25. habsonly says:

Thats it for me no more hockey till the draft and the off season action hope fully MB make the necessary moves…till next time, next season, a full one not a abriviation, have a good one all and keep your stick on the ice.

26. LaSalle17 says:

Montreal is a better team than Ottawa. Vancouver is a better team than San Jose. When it mattered most, the underdogs were better. Plain and simple. Can’t wait for next season!

27. frontenac1 says:

Too pissed off to post.Drinking my wifes Gin.Frikkin disgusting.

28. The Dude says:

I still believe ….

29. Habilis says:

On the plus side, we get another team to hate for next season, and we’ll play them 6 times!

30. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It was a good season, and I have huge respect for this team.

And while I now loathe them, the Sens are a better team than their record.

The future is bright for the Habs, and for us as fans. Let’s see where it goes, and let’s get ready for a serious rivalry with the Sens for years to come. Both these teams are coming together at the same time.

31. Small_Town_Boy says:

Anderson’s best season in 11 yrs due to the fact he had a very short season. Every season he played over 29 games he has SUCKED!

Dat’s wha me tinks

32. shootdapuck says:

Running up the score Maclean classy!

=================================================
    The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
    “Le game est tous de hard work”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

33. habzfan2003 says:

It’s amazing how gitty Galley is now… Let’s see how much you’re laughing after the Pens pound you 4 str8…

34. C-Sword says:

Time for Sens to take a time out

35. slapshot777 says:

If I am Montreal just take numbers for next season. I guess the walrus and Ottawa will hope the Habs forget. The Habs need to start running up the score when they get the chances in the future not lay off. Everybody seems to do it to them except the Habs they want to keep it civil.

36. habsfan0 says:

Sigh.
    Time for a shave.

37. johnnylarue says:

Will MacLean call a timeout?

38. danhabsfan says:

Who on TSN radio Montreal said that this was not going t be a close game? They didn’t know for who, but said it would be lopsided, not close. Wow.

39. Habsbill24 says:

I guess the question is (factoring in the Injuries) which team is the real Canadiens? The one we saw the first 40 games that could play head to head with anyone (we had images of a 25th Cup in our heads) or the team we saw the last 8 games and the playoffs that looked remarkably like the JM team of last year?

• danhabsfan says:

Somewhere in the middle. Lets e honest, we didn’t really have a good team to ice today, too many key injuries.

• ffenliv says:

Somewhere in the middle. They’re not this bad, but they won a division title when Boston out-losed them to the finish line.

Who else wishes we had finished 4th and gotten the Leafs?

40. jedimyrmidon says:

Meh. Habs gave up like 10min ago. Score doesn’t matter to me.

• danhabsfan says:

Actually, after the Sens 3rd goal, which is a real shame. They were pushing until then. If Armstrong scores SH, could you have seen this go the other way. I think so.

41. Sportfan says:

This is pathetic just sit back don’t keep scoring…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

42. The Puckhound says:

Please ,please Bergevin ..Trade Plekanec…he’s just terrible ! He couldn’t win face off.

Go to the net and keep your stick on the ice!

43. piper says:

Players I’d like to see back next year:
    Price, Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Boullion, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Prust, Eller, Pacioretty. The rest I couldn’t care less what they do with them.

44. zorro says:

Georges and Diaz, TOO SMALL.

45. jimmy shaker says:

Well MB, here’s to bringing in a big top 4 bruising D-man come july 1, and a big, rugged offensively savy winger as well. (Please insert speculation here) Emelin comes back (hopefully he can get this surgery thing going). Ryder, armstrong, halpern gone. Look to trade if possible DD, Diaz, Gorges and last but not least, 2013/2014 will be the year Price steps into his skillset, thoroughbredness, potentiality, eliteness etc, etc, etc. He has to be the best tender in the league across the board or I fear it might be another season of indifference, which the club and especially Carey cannot afford to have.

Cheers everyone, it was a fun ride. Can’t believe the luck the sens had in this series, but it won’t last long that’s for sure going into the second round. Now the cubs take care of the buds tomorrow and I can watch the rest of the playoffs in peace. I’m liking quick, sutter and co over on the left coast to repeat the raising of lord stanley!

Shake and bake and I’m done!

46. Sportfan says:

Can anyone tell me what day the draft is this year?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• The Puckhound says:

June 30, 2013, at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.

I sure hope there many changes before then!

Go to the net and keep your stick on the ice!

47. Mavid says:

and Galley yet again defending the Sens classless behavior..scoring goal number 6

48. Storman says:

It’s not over we just need to score one from the 5 goal line

49. EricInStL says:

DIAZ never even touched him….jeez MB take notes please….

Please Ottawa score more more more, changes must come. Do not let the 1st place fool you.

50. habssince1909 says:

Good ride this season while it lasted. Short and over. Until next year. The future looks brighter than it has in awhile.

51. Hobie Hansen says:

Interac money transfer to Sens co-worker starting…. NOW!

52. L Elle says:

Brutal ending.

53. rogus says:

Lots to look forward in the future, I can see Bergevin making some moves this summer. I wouldn’t mind seeing Gorges, Diaz and DD gone. Hopefully Eller picks up where he left off, he really looked good this year. The Gally’s are gamers and will only get better. A mean d-man and a healthy Emelin would have been huge to this series.

54. w.p.d says:

Ottawa is asking for this to get ugly

55. nova scotia vees says:

Well we had some good times this year. Get rid of the deadwood, get some bigger skilled players. Let youth be served, and get better goalies. Trade and draft well M.B. See you in september.

56. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Thanks to Mr Boone and the HIO community for a great seasonette. Especially to Timo for never losing his lack of faith, through good times and bad. Go Habs, and recover, recharge, heal, and improve for another run at #25. CHeers!

57. habs1992 says:

I think this game shows how good Price was for this team

I support Carey Price

58. chilli says:

At the end of the day, it was Ottawa’s journey, not ours. It wasn’t our injuries, we lost to Conacher, Pageau and Zibanejad and of course, Anderson.

Their team was no better – they had the hot goalie and got all the bounces.

See y’all at training camp.

Tre

59. Sportfan says:

Although they would rather have a deep playoff run, I really hope Gally, Subban, Markov and hopefully MT win the awards!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

60. Chuck says:

The big question is: will the BEFW know who’s hand he’s shaking after the game?

_______________________________
    X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

61. habsfan0 says:

I wonder if Therrien will shake MacLean’s hand at the end of the game?
    Personally, I’d like to see him deck the walrus.

62. twilighthours says:

It is impossible to deny that goaltending was a major factor in this series.

63. jedimyrmidon says:

Ottawa PP been good? I think a lot of the goals just happened to go in unforced.

64. jols101 says:

Ending with a whimper. Taking pointless penalties.

65. ffenliv says:

This game sure did nothing to quell the Price-Budaj debates. Some goals were lucky bounces, some were just bad goals.

I was *so* excited when the Habs clinched early, and remained excited even though they sucked.

I thought for sure we were headed to the 3rd round.

When they drew Ottawa I was nervous, but figured still they’d take it in 6 or 7 games.

Out in 5? Never crossed my mind. This has been an embarrassing display.

• twilighthours says:

It,didn’t feel like a five gamer. Even tonight, we were better for 40 minutes. We really only rolled over for the final 20 of the series.

66. RH says:

#76 with the heart of a lion!!

67. jedimyrmidon says:

Wait, why is only PK punished?

Who brought PK down in a heap?

68. Cecker50 says:

So… I’m the only one proud what the 27th place last team accomplished this year??

• ffenliv says:

I’m proud of what they accomplished in the regular season. I’m ashamed at the playoff display. Sure, the reffing was a bit off, and they had some injuries. But they rolled over and died.

69. slapshot777 says:

MB will make the proper moves in the off season. Give him time

70. HotHabs says:

Everyone in a red jersey sucks tonight. Habs in a full season might have faded in the second half, possibly not making the playoffs. (Albeit injuries haven’t helped in the post season either.)

71. jedimyrmidon says:

“Give P.K. a mulligan on his assertion Canadiens were the better team.”

Why?

• LaSalle17 says:

Simple. Teams don’t lose 4 games to 1 because of shitty bounces and bad reffing. Yeah, Montreal is the better team than Ottawa but in this series, they were not.

72. Habsbill24 says:

We have one physical forward, Prust, sand one physical d-man, EmeLin, and they both went down, Emelin bEfoRE the series started. Questionable calls by officials and horrendous goaltending by Price. Losing 4-1 is about right. Offseason we need more size and a young goalie to push Price. Budaj can back him up but the young goalie needs to be in Hamilton or juniors and be a real threat to Price. One of Gorges, Bouillon and Diaz needs to be moved. I would not mind seeing Markov and Gionta disappearing a year early. Play the kids, move Chucky to the middle. Get somebody who can be a real policeman and let PK play 30 minutes. Then we will have a team.

73. Yussuf Al-Habbi says:

Can’t he keep it to himself for 5 minutes longer?

74. Sportfan says:

Can the Sens just lay of crap sakes

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!