Liveblog: Game 48 – Call the cops! Canadiens steal two points with 5-4 OT win

PriceOtt

Craziest game of the season

Carey Price never steals games, right?

The Canadiens blew a 3-0 lead.

They were outshot 38-17 through two periods.

Were it not for the brilliance of Price, Ottawa would have been up by five goals after 40 minutes.

But Tomas Plekanec's second of the game tied it at 4-4 in the third period.

And P.K. Subban won it in OT.

"I know he's my teammate," Subban said after the game,  "but I think he's the best goalie in the world right now. Look at the tape."

And from Max Pacioretty: "I witnessed the best goalie performance in my life. It was awesome!"

Wow!

Erik Karlsson got pinched on the boards by Brian Gionta.

The puck popped loose to P.K. Subban, who shot it right at Craig Anderson.

In through the Ottawa goaltender's legs.

5-4

Pleks salvages a point

Injured in the second period, Tomas Plekanec takes asweet head-man pass from Brian Gionta and is credited with the typing goal when Jared Cowen kicks the puck past Craig Anderson

Again, two late ones

With less than three minutes left in the period, Ottawa got goals from Bobby Ryan and Kyle Turris in 84 seconds to take the lead.

Were it not for the heroics of Carey Price, the score would be 10-3.

Price's 17 second-period stops included miraculous saves on Milan Michalek, Ryan and Mark Stone.

The Canadiens were outshot 19-10, 38-17 on the game.

Oh, and the hits are 37-20.

This team is terrible, peeps.

A wild one in Kanata

The Canadiens skated to an early 3-0 lead on three kinds of goals: Tomas Plekanec on a shorthanded breakaway, Max Pacioretty on a power-play one-timer and David Desharnais at even-strength.

Off to the races, right?

Wrong.

Late in the period, Ottawa got two  in 72 seconds: a Clarke MacArthur deflection and Erik Karlsson into an open side of the net.

They were the 17th and 18th shots on Carey Price, who had made brilliant saves early on Milan Michalek, Bobby Ryan and, in alone, Colin Greening.

Shots were 19-7 for Ottawa. Hits 17-9.

A four-point biggie

The Canadiens play an Eastern Division rival Thursday night at Canadian Tire Centre  (cleaning supplies in Aisle 32).

The Senators trail the Canadiens by seven points, but Ottawa has launched a push for the playoffs and is 7-1-2 in its last 10 games.

Ottawa has become something of a bête noire for the Canadiens.

The Senators eliminated the Canadiens from the playoffs with dismaying five-game ease last spring. And they've won both games between the teams this season: 4-1 in Ottawa on Nov. 7 and 4-3 in overtime at the Bell Centre Jan. 4.

Two special-teams stats do not augur well for the Canadiens:

The power play has not scored in 18 man-advantages stretching over five games. And Ottawa has killed 24 of the team's last 26 penalties.

Puck drops 7:40ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

1,542 Comments

1. Danno says:

Canadiens tire of being jinxed at Canadian Tire Centre

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

2. Plekasuares says:

The singing cop. Coool

3. Keith says:

Let’s get a win damnit!

4. Oh man, Lars put masking tape on the bottom of Briere’s left blade, Briere took one step on to the ice and wiped out. He’s bummed!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

5. topher5468 says:

Damn, no HD tonight,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

6. Rush says:

Post of the day!!

“Steven Stamkos is back practicing. He borrowed a no-contact jersey from Danny Brière.”

by mike.boone 7:14 PM

______________________________________
    “The main problem with socialism is that, eventually,
    you run out of other peoples’ money.” Roll Tide, Baby!

7. Therrien just gave Gerard the game plan, Gerard said “but the biys are already in the tunnel.” :lol:

8. ABHabsfan says:

Not exactly hockey related but; my little brother was featured on Dragon’s Den last night and made a deal with Dave Chilton and Arlene. All Dragons offered a deal so they had their pick. Montreal software company called Steamtree Systems, invented a doo-hickey called FixMe Stik. (www/fixmestik.com) Hockey tie-in: My brother’s business partner has season tickets to the Habs. Pretty cool though, the little bastard may have just hit it.

9. Mavid says:

The stupid Gladiator is back how embarrassing for the Sens fans

10. Plekasuares says:

Why Hello..Habs 4 Senaturds 1. Bourque will score tonight!!

11. smiler2729 says:

Sports is not war and athletes are not warriors.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

12. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

If I’m Ottawa, i take a penalty–heck, make it a double minor–off the opening faceoff. Next to a goal, what better way to get the ‘mo’ then with a successful PK? Which is all but guaranteed against MTL’s woeful PP.

13. Sens don’t have a prayer tonight. We caught them laughing at our defense in the tunnel, Diaz got fired up, and Josh grabbed Redden, but PK broke them up. Neil had his gear with him and Prust asked hey Chris you the new trainer?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

14. bender69 says:

let’s hope we score some goals that count !!

I do like the new Tim Hortons Commercial, especially the part where our very own Psycho 29 jumps the boards and gets on the ice!

16. RockinRey says:

Its a Sens Habs game and TSN is covering the Leafs. What a joke.

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• JohninTruro says:

It’s That’s Hockey, not Sens/Habs pre-game.

• RockinRey says:

Well there you go! Its still a joke the focus should be on the game of the night. I only have half a screen on first row sports online. Something wrong with the fee.

——————————————————————————————————
      You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

17. Ron says:

Looks like Kassian is playing instead of Neil. Not a good match up for George..

18. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Yessssssss… Habs win, grâce à Boone!

TSN appears all in with forecasting Ottawa as the team tonight. All the more reason for Habs to win, EFF Toronto Sports Network.

20. RockinRey says:

link??

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

21. Good Habits says:

Plek and Galley are overdue like my library books.

22. punkster says:

Oh that Briere shot…

Mike Boone…the Rodney Dangerfield of hockey blogging.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

23. Et le but says:

Aren’t these the games that always seem to bring out the best in us?
    You know, the games no one predicts us to win?

Hope it trends in our favour and we emerge with a 3-1 victory…

24. Mattyleg says:

Hey guys,
    Sorry it took me so long…

I have the drinks.

Okay… who ordered the Twist Shandy?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. RockinRey says:

Anybody have link for game ? All of previous ones i had are now toast!

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

26. The Puckhound says:

Should the habs trade for Evander Kane from Winnipeg .. could cost them Gallagher!

Go to the net and keep your stick on the ice!

27. duffy says:

How many Habs Goals will the Bush League Zebras disallow this Game ?

It’s a worn out cliche, but we are so fricking DUE to beat the Senators.

29. WVHabsfan says:

GG. I have often thought the same about him

30. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

A successful Boone opening salvo is, “Let’s get this party started.” So, Boone… Make it happen!

31. GGtheHab says:

Ollie you must be Jokinen…should have gotten him years ago when Saku was here..but a big center as a rental I would take him

32. duffy says:

GO HABS GO !!!!!!

33. Lafleurguy says:

“There’s talk on the street, it’s there to remind you….”

34. Mavid says:

At the place of Tires Go HABS Go!

35. Psycho29 says:

Just wondering, do you all feel as negative and bad about tonght’s game as say….last Saturday against Chicago????

Remember how that turned out???

36. GGtheHab says:

Can one of the 28% please explain why Jagr would not be a welcome addition? Too tall? Too skilled? cares too much? what is it you dont like?

37. JohnBellyful says:

I like that DD is a game-time decision.
    Nothing like throwing a monkey wrench in the Sens’ pre-game preparations: Is he in? Is he not in?
    I’m convinced Therrien’s gamesmanship will give the team the psychological edge it needs to pull off a road win.

38. habsfan0 says:

I’m somewhat surprised that Price is getting the start tonight.
    He has been playing extremely well this season but Budaj definitely needs the work.
    Maybe Therrien is saving Budaj for the ACC.

39. habstrinifan says:

I’m experiencing an outta-body experience.

40. WindsorHab-10 says:

Habs 3-1 over Sens.

41. bwoar says:

If we’re hating the team already, imagine if we lose tonight? It’s like a wake in here, for someone nobody liked.

“thoroughbred”

42. JUST ME says:

Congrats to Steve Begin for a great career played within his limits .Most players in the NHL have more talent and skills than he does but only a few have his determination and courage. Did not go easy on his body, gave 100 % every night, deserves to enjoy an injury free life !

43. habstrinifan says:

FYI…
    Every time the HABS score 3 or more goals, I’d like to receive promotional emails from Postmedia-Canada.com Network.

44. 25 while im alive says:

Like to see Parros beat the ugly off Chris Neil

45. habstrinifan says:

Which will come first tonight?

Subban benched?
    Eller benched?
    Briere benched?
    Gorges blocks a shot?
    MT fights the Walrus?
    Prust fights the Walrus?
    Boone says “In the battle of defenceman studs”?
    Mavid gets thrown out of Ottawa?
    Mt breaks the no excuses rule… again?
    Habstrinifan stops referring to himself in the 3rd person?
    Cal,DispsyDoodle, Phil C calls habstrinifan a hater?

As you can tell Habstrinifan is expecting to be feeling shitty around 9:00pm.

• bwoar says:

AND you’ll be a Bruins fan too. For shame!

Kidding, enjoy the game!

“thoroughbred”

• Phil C says:

It won’t be the last one, I’ve never called you, nor do I consider you, a hater, we just disagree on the people skills of a certain head coach that shall remain nameless for fear of further fanning the flames. I only start calling names when I really start to lose an argument, so it’s probably coming.

But I really hope it’s number 5.

• Strummer says:

I would settle for a 5 on 5 goal by the habs

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

46. Maksimir says:

I hate being a negative Nellie but.. I say the Habs should skate out for the warm-up, wave to the crowd and go home. Sens will take another, might as well save some energy for the Leafs.

47. Bripro says:

I PVR’d the last game.
    In part, because we’re all familiar with the Devils’ style of play, and I knew it would end up being a choke-hold affair.

I think I’ll PVR the game again.
    Because the Sens, like it or not, have figured out our Habs, and they have the luxury of a few super stars up front, which we don’t have.

They have a Norris trophy winner, as do we.
    But Karlsson is certainly picking it up this year.

On top of it, I have to fast forward through shots of the Walrus. He just seems so …. arrogant. I could be wrong, I don’t know him.
    But for me, perception is enough.

If I see later that our Habs finally laid a pasting on them, I’ll gladly rewind or watch Canadiens Express.

48. CH Marshall says:

Forget NO EXCUSES… should be WE’RE ALL BOZOS ON THIS BUS

I say Habs should sit Price, Subban and Markov and play Budaj, Drewiske and Bouillon. Senators will never know what hit them.

50. Reflektor says:

Zibanejad seen practising his soccer kick.

51. EastCoastHab says:

Anyone??
    Top two plausible trades before the Olympic break?

52. scarboro_habitant says:

habs will score 2 goals or less tonight. calling it right now!

Craig Anderson is 6-0-1, 2.11, .932 in last 7 GPI. Not good.

Clarke MacArthur, my UFA Hab choice for last summer, is now 16/18/34/6PPG/5GWG. As well, six points in his last six games.

Ottawa’s record for their last ten games is 7-1-2 and they are playing on home ice.

Mike Boone’s first post of the night better be a reverse jinx.

• CJ says:

This does remind me of the prelude to the Chicago game on Saturday. We seem to match up favourably with Chicago, the way ottawa matches up very well against us. It is going to be a very, very difficult game.

All that said, let’s start a new trend. Let’s win this! Go Habs!

• scarboro_habitant says:

picked him up in my hockey pool just when started to heat up. seems like him and grabo couldnt get it done under carlyle.

54. Propwash says:

Completely off topic, but today is day one of me stopping tobacco smoking. I bought a starter E-Cigarette kit and started vaping. No stink, and I have permission to use it at work. I highly recommend giving this option a look if you are wanting to quit cigarettes.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

55. Habfan10912 says:

Enjoy the game tonight films. Win this one for Mavid!

56. 25 while im alive says:

Who cares if gays go to Sochi Couldn’t care less

57. Habilis says:

So DD is a game-time decision, we’re playing in freakin Ottawa, but nobody was called up from Hamilton…

I am officially done defending this management group.

Timo, show me how to hate.

• PrimeTime says:

Perhaps they are a little bit more informed

“Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yeah I saw that line, PT, and I gulped.
        Not feeling good about where I probably am on that spectrum!

HEY BUT AT LEAST I REMEMBER TO COMB MY HAIR IN THE MORNINGS, PATRICK!

• Lafleurguy says:

Folks should appreciate the tolerance Boonie has for our comments. And poor Hickey. Who does he think reads the stuff he writes?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Bripro says:

I do.
            And I just mailed him a comb.

• Mike Boone says:

I’m a free-speech absolutist.
            Was it Voltaire, or maybe Pierre McGuire, who said “I disagree completely with your opinion and will defend to the death your right to express it.”
            I’m paraphrasing. The actual quote was “Opinions are like a–holes. Everyone’s got one.”

Mike Boone
            Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• Timo says:

Maybe that’s because Oh so wise Hickey never informed us, the uninformed. Perhaps if he did a little bit more than asked same set of questions for the past 50 years fans would be a bit more informed. I don’t know. I could be just mildly uninformed or outrageously stupid about what’s involved in being a reporter.

• Habilis says:

Informed as they are, I’m pretty sure that they can’t predict the future. What if someone twists an ankle or pulls their groin in warm-ups?

If DD can’t go and someone gets dinged, what will they do? Dress 17 skaters?

That’s not giving yourself the best chance to win a game, IMHO.

• Mike Boone says:

Don’t be mistaking the opinions of my great and good friend Hick for the Word of God on hockey.
        My take on “expertise” is neatly encapsulated in the title of a Firesign Theatre (Google ‘em) album: We’re All Bozos On This Bus

Mike Boone
        Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• I resemble that remark!!!

Defense wins championships

• Phil C says:

“Perhaps they are a little bit more informed”

I get it when you want to take the piss out of posters here, that’s one thing. But to defer so reverently to authority, with not even a murmur of discontent, or an inkling of skepticism? That’s a bit disappointing coming from someone who likes to point out how stupid everyone is.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

All I know is I don’t want to see 7 D-men…doesn’t work.

58. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If DD is out, why not Briere in between Max and Gally? He seems to be more of a set-up man than Eller.

• GGtheHab says:

not a bad idea, especially since there is no center on the 4th line..I would prefer to see bournival up with gio and pleks and drop moen to 3rd or 4th line.

59. HabFab says:

Steve Begin unable to continue playing this season due to injuries. Is his career over?

Actually he is announcing his retirement as of now.

60. CJ says:

What will be greater? The number of new HIO threads today or the number of Canadiens goals this evening?

61. HabFab says:

Thrower really getting love from the Vancouver press;

62. HabFab says:

Kerry Fraser agrees with us on the Gallagher non-kick;

63. habs001 says:

It does not help the forwards that for the majority of the game they get very limited support from the D in offensive support…Beyond PK and Markov there is no D that can provide support for the forwards and PK is limited by the coaching staff…

64. adamkennelly says:

MLB expanding video replay. NHL is sure to follow. coaches challenges in the near future. Its gotten faking ridiculous in the NFL – the stupidity of confirming or denying a catch is beyond absurd.

65. Da Hema says:

#20

“rotten chicken”

66. olegpetrov says:

I’ll be at the game tonight gents. Bloody hope it’s a good one!

Habs fan…Nuff said

67. habs001 says:

The Habs forwards are not a dominant group…basically the majority of the teams in the NHL equal this group and many of the teams are much better in forward talent…This is not a scoring lineup in the long term..The only hope this roster has is to have a great pk…score on the pp and have great goaltending…In most games they will be dominated and have to scratch and claw in their zone to win games…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agreeing, with a big sad sigh.
      How did we manage during that last great play-off run? How did we score? Different guys were there, yes, but the situation was similar: as you say, 001, not a dominant group.

• JohnBellyful says:

You might be onto something, Double-0 One.
      I checked the rulebook. There’s nothing in it that says you can’t scratch and claw. Even the Code is mum on it.
      (Why can’t the coach come up with these schemes?)

68. CH Marshall says:

If we can get bodies to the net, we win. If we stay on the perimeter, we lose.

69. Dunboyne Mike says:

You were so right, John B. About the quick thread. This sure is “Life in the Habs lane.”

70. Bripro says:

#7 !
    “Stalebread”

71. shiram says:

So the Jets tshirt luck has run out.
    I’ll have to try something new tonight.
    Here’s hoping tonight is an interesting game.

72. Habs 6
    Sens 1

Carey Price scores.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

73. JohnBellyful says:

#2 !

“standardbred”

74. bwoar says:

#1 !

“thoroughbred”

75. habstrinifan says:

Say that again. 3rd 3-0 lead blown. Teams dont do that if as the coach says, they are buying into his concept.

76. L Elle says:

No, he’s a leader and a great competitor. He will play his a$$ off because that’s what he does.

I will send him something nice… like a massage gift certificate if he does that.

78. Propwash says:

He’ll have a taste of that at the Olympics.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

79. RockinRey says:

Pleky, PK, Patches.

80. adadi says:

I no longer trust him to wheel and deal.

Given the history I don’t think so. Wouldn’t want to sacrifice the future by giving away that 2nd or 3rd pick.

82. RH says:

He’s got more class than that. He’s not that douche in Boston flipping the fans the bird. Where is that guy now anyway?

83. CJ says:

Sadly, he will be the focus. His celebration, as much as I loved every second of it, will be all over TSN until they wring every ounce of story out of it.

84. DipsyDoodler says:

Hockey Night in Canada is partly responsible.

85. Ton says:

orr got boo’ed every night and loud at that!

86. boing007 says:

Their boos didn’t last very long in overtime.

Richard R

87. DipsyDoodler says:

Leakier than … well all of our D?

88. monmick says:

Good one…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

89. Peter Young says:

Won’t that make you as obnoxious as they are?

90. CJ says:

Sir, I can’t begin to tell you the half of it. Justice IMO. Turn about is fair play. This is exactly what happened to us last year in the playoffs. Recall game one? We just saw a very similar event tonight, only it was Ottawa on the losing end. Ottawa fans can stick it.

91. Willy the bum says:

Oh Parros, he’s such a dreamboat compare to Karlsson.

92. CJ says:

Until Sunday. Hair is gone then for charity.

Ha!

94. CJ says:

Haha! Good one my friend! Cheers, CJ

95. monmick says:

Cost has been going down all year…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

96. Sean Bonjovi says:

Cowan and Methot both share the ability to illegally obstruct opposing players without being called for interference penalties. If either of them played for the Canadiens they’d spend half the game in the penalty box, or just start playing clean hockey while opposing players skate past them.

97. CJ says:

Hope your right. Again, for the record, it suits me just fine. I know how polarizing PK can be though in the eyes of the media, especially TSN.

98. silversnake says:

Ummm. He was criticized and made fun of by the vets. He said it in the interview and he said himself he probably won’t do that again in the future.

99. Willy the bum says:

All the media should shut it. PK should do what he wants. He’s golden right now.

100. Willy the bum says:

Bourque for Cowen seems like a suitable trade.

101. silversnake says:

Ah okay. Gotcha! :) Ya, I don’t think we will hear too much from the media.

102. CJ says:

Oh I agree. We are on the same page. Hope I’m wrong, I just imagine that someone will try and make something of nothing. Cheers, CJ

103. Willy the bum says:

So it’s all about blaming the players who wore the CH on their chests?

104. NCRhabsfan says:

One minor to both teams tonight. Get over it. The refs suck most nights but that’s because they’re just bad, not because they’re biased. Wait until the play-offs, that’s when the Bettman fix is in. Then you’ll see bias. No Canadian team makes the finals again this year, count on it.

105. NCRhabsfan says:

Why would anyone give the Habs anything for Borque? The real question is does he retire at the end of the season or go to play somewhere in Europe. I’m not sure he’s good enough to play in the KHL, perhaps Switzerland or Germany and only because they haven’t seen him play enough to know that he rarely actually shows up. Waste of a perfectly good jersey.

106. Sean Bonjovi says:

I’m not talking about anything that I only saw tonight. Watch the Ottawa Senators play hockey. Cowan and Methot block the fore checkers like football line men, while the other defenceman moves the puck out of the zone. It’s the walrus’ whole game plan.

107. sheds88 says:

there will be no canadian team in the finals because they all suck, not because of betman.

108. third generation haber says:

Ottawa is just beginning to come into form. Look at the shots on goal! Yes, they would definitely beat us in a playoff series. So would Boston, Philly, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Tampa-bay, and the Rangers. Even if we beat one of these teams, there’s now way in hell we’re going to the finals.

j.p. murray

109. naweed235 says:

Did you really just include the Leafs on that list?