Liveblog: Game 46 – Markov wins classic game in OT 2-1

MarkovChi

Superb hockey

That was the best 62 minutes of hockey the Bell Centre has seen this season.

Andrei Markov won it in Overtime after some spectacular goaltending at both ends by Carey Price, who made 19 saves, and homeboy Corey Crawford, who faced 37 shots by the Canadiens.

Markov's second-period goal opened the scoring.

The Hawks tied it up in the third on Marian Hossa's 16th of the season, off great passes by Patrick Sharp and Jonathan Toews.

Markov bags second

And wins it!

Hawks tie it up

Three of the best players in the league combined on a sweet passing play to tie the game:

Patrick Sharp to Jonathan Toews over to Marian Hossa.

Bingo.

Canadiens out shot the visitors 34-20 over three periods

Fourth line does it

George Parros parked himself in Corey Crawford's face and Andrei Markov scored from a few feet inside the blueline.

It  was the first CH goal Parros has been on for this season.

The visitors were held to eight shots through the game's first 30 minutes.

And when the Chicago power play finally got a chance, late in the period, the PK was brilliant.

Shots in the period were 11-9 Canadiens.

Game of the Season, so far.

Great hockey

Best first period at the Bell Centre in a while.

Skating, slick passing, scoring chances ... it had it all.

But no scoring.

The Canadiens looked dangerous on their two power plays.

Shots were 11-6 for the home side.

Cup-holders in town

For the first time in almost three years, the Chicago Blackhawks pay a visit to the Bell Centre on Saturday night.

On April 5, 2011, Carey Price made 42 saves – including 19 in he second period – and P.K. Subban beat Corey Crawford in Overtime for a 2-1 Canadiens win.

Price will start Saturday night, and let's hope his recently-tweaked groin is not subjected to another 40-plus shot bombardment.

But don't bet against it.

Your Montreal Canadiens have a mixed record against Western Conference powerhouses this season.

In October, they beat Anaheim 4-1 at the Bell Centre and lost 2-0 to visiting San Jose two days later.

After losing on the road to Minnesota and Colorado, the Canadiens  came home to face St. Louis and took the mighty Blues to a Shootout before succumbing 3-2.

L.A. beat the Canadiens 6-0 on Dec. 10 and they were 5-1 losers in St. Louis on the 19th.

The reigning Stanley Cup champions ride a two-game losing streak into Montreal, where the Hawks will face a couple alumni.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin and goaltender coach Stéphane Waite will be facing their former employer Saturday night.

Former Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier is a scout for Chicago. And the Hawks front office is run by Stan Bowman, son of the legendary Scotty.

George Parros returns to the Canadiens lineup. Francis Bouillon is a healthy scratch.

1,070 Comments

1. Mavid says:

ug…Gary Gally is there not a Sens game he could be doing..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

So let me guess. The Habs win and we’re planning the parade. They lose and it’s fire Therrien.

3. jols101 says:

lol, look at those starting lineups.
    Go Habs Go!!!

4. Et le but says:

I have a warm and fuzzy feeling about tonight’s game…not sure if we’ll win but still feeling warm and fuzzy.

5. icemachine says:

Need a good game tonight, hosting my brew club and I’d hate to be seen crying into my beer

6. Reflektor says:

Best pre-game video in a long time, no Leafs.

7. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Whoever trades for Grigerenko has to willling to play him on the big squad or he’s gone. Not sure if Habs have the room…or the patience (unless the Sabres want Rene Bourque).

8. adadi says:

My mom mixed up the Habs and Hawk jerseys when I was 4 years old so she bought me the Hawk jersey. I’ve been a Hawk fan every since. I used to love watching Bobby Hull, Stan Makita, TonyO, Keith Magnessun, Bill White, Dennis Hull and Pat Martin. The old Chicago stadium was probably the loudest rink in history. Yes great jerseys. But I’m still rooting for the Habs tonight.

9. montreal ace says:

Hawks are going down tonight, big Habs win in a great game

10. CJ says:

I hate reading Chicago hasn’t scored more then X goals in their last five games….Price hasn’t lost in regulation since Dec. 19….Hawks haven’t beaten the Habs since 2001. The last game I remember reading something similar was just before the Kings game.

I’m hoping for a better outcome, don’t get me wrong. I just get that nervous feeling when I read that stuff.

11. Plekasuares says:

**** CBC

12. Propwash says:

Rib roast is now resting, beer is calling my name in the fridge, and hockey is about to start, enjoy the game everyone!

GO HABS GO!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

13. temekuhabs says:

Hawks have the league’s nicest jerseys, no?
    by mike.boone 3:31 PM
    How about the 2nd nicest (next to ours of course)

14. ABHabsfan says:

Based on Boone’s last 3 posts, I don’t think the hawks have a hope tonight!

15. adadi says:

Hey Boone, I want to apologize to you and the rest of the bloggers for calling Therrien some inappropriate names during the third period on Wednesday night. Was not cool. However it is nice to see that the silent majority here on HIO, some 83% agree with the idea that Therrien blew it on Wednesday.

Also, I’m more than a little stunned that MT would come out yesterday and essentially say that he is responsible for getting PK to the Olympics. Even if it were true it does show this coach’s complete lack of tact and class.

16. montreal ace says:

I wonder if MB is trying to land Grigorenko, I think it would be huge if he did

17. calvee123 says:

Sorry Boone Hawks have 2nd nicest jersey. Nicest is Habs!!

18. Sportfan says:

Woah woah woah Habs have the nicest jersey hands down.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. frontenac1 says:

Hey for you amigos that don’t have RDS and can’t stand CBC, WGN is covering the game in HD. Vas-y Les Boys!

20. JohninTruro says:

Boone isn’t Markov being “iron man” great though, after all of the flack he has taken for being so injury prone?

21. habcertain says:

I think that EDM cold has frozen your brain!

22. Davey93 says:

Pk and the boys will come out strong tonight, even Bourque, he has to. It’ll be a close game but I believe the habs will take the game with a 4-3 win in OT. Go Habs Go!!

23. Habcouver says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Toews with the “C” at Sochi.
    Mature, well-spoken.

Waiting patiently for #25

24. habcertain says:

What about Toews for a player/coach position!

25. durocher says:

Hawks have the nicest 3rd jerseys in the league

• IdleNoMore says:

Kind of looks like the pens or maybe the blue jackets…

“He was chewing Juicy Fruit gum, I didn’t know whether to shake his hand or kiss him”

• CJ says:

Montreal still has the nicest jersey in professional sports as rated by ESPN. If I recall the Chicago Bears and St Louis Cardinals were top three. Blackhawks were top ten.

26. montreal ace says:

It’s a touch disturbing how many people are agreeing with PJ Stocks views on here, next thing you know postings will be down during Coaches Corner

27. frontenac1 says:

Hey Toews speaks French! Pretty well too. On RDS interviewed by Pierre Houde.

28. Mavid says:

What a goof..Justin Beiber was 7 years old…uh…sooooo

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

29. punkster says:

What’s not to love about that kid, eh?

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

30. CJ says:

Is there a better spoken professional athlete in the world? PK is amazing!

31. savethepuck says:

I hope big George has a good game. The last time he came back from a concussion because he was medically cleared he was -5 in his next 20 minutes of icetime. I admit I was one of his biggest detractors at that time, but will also admit that I thought he wasn’t a defensive liability when he seemed to get his game legs back. I think that is why he didn’t play last game after just being cleared and they dressed 7 D.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

32. HABitat4humanity says:

Habs who r not pulling their weight need to step up tonight.

Hit hard when they come in our zone & tons of traffic in front of the net!

Hopefully this is a statement game!!!

33. habcertain says:

@justme…. Do you really expect MT or PK to come out swinging, of course they are going to say all the right things… You need to read between lines and for the hundredth time it not about this one issue, it is about the continual correcting (putting it nicely) in the public eye who happens to be the elite players in the world, this is not some green kid off the bus fromHamilton. MT needs to show him the respect he has earned.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I actually think PK and MT mean what they say in this case. MT will sit or scratch a player to get a message across. He doesn’t play favourites and I think the players respect that.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Reading between the lines…….yep that will allow you to conclude just about anything your little mind can conjure up……oh he didn’t mean that here’s what he really meant….don’t listen to the words…read between the lines…can you be anymore silly….silly wasn’t what I really meant but you can read between the lines on this also.

It’s in the bag folks!
    Did they bring the cup to town with them?
    Maybe we can take it from them tonight.!

Bring um on!

35. Mavid says:

Go Habs Go..I am excited….

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

36. durocher says:

Leblanc, Briere, and Diaz for Grigorenko and Kevin Porter

37. 25Stanleycups says:

Im going to try and put some perceptions of Therien into perspective. After Wednesdays loss in Philly, many here were out for his head. Montreal has the 4th best record in the Eastern Conference. Only behind 2 teams they shouldnt be ahead of, and upstart T Bay. They have the fourth best Goals against Average in the League, just behind 2 recent cup champs, and one that should win soon in St. Louis. They have the fourth best PK in the league. If you guys cant realize how GREAT the coaching has been, you must be the same people who have never liked a single coach in the last 20 years. I have to remind some of you. We have the most sub 6 foot players in the league, and have a Norris Defenceman leading our team in points. We have atleast 6 players in Gionta, Bourque, Desharnais, Moen, Bouillion, and Briere not carrying there weight. This teams problem isnt coaching, special teams, faceoffs, or SIZE. Its EFFORT, its been effort for aslong as I remember… They play 20 minutes a game if were lucky. And rarely does the entire team play together as a TEAM. Call it a country club, call it privileged. If this team were ever to adopt a blue collar mentality even just 80% percent of the time, instead of 50% if were lucky. They could be a perennial top team. Coaching doesn’t change culture or entitlement. Its up to each individual to work on that themselves.

• Forum Dog says:

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I think some of it is the personnel, not just the level of effort. The jobs done by Prust, Moen, Bourque, Bouillion, Diaz, etc. should be done by players who cost a fraction of their salary and have more upside in terms of their development. Instead, the Habs are paying and playing big money for guys who can’t contribute much more than they do, and are likely to contribute less simply because they are on the downsides of their careers. Its a catch-22, ’cause the Habs apparently didn’t/don’t have prospects that can play those positions or roles, which ultimately goes back to management. Therrien has done a good job with the players he has. That I’ll admit.

Regardless, I’d like to see them come out with the effort you are talking about. They can win if they do.

• 25Stanleycups says:

I think we will see a good effort tonight. Although, something about Saturdays at the Keg, they often just dont seem focused, or in sink. Hoping for a good effort all around.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Great post…… 25 stanley cups…..probably fits a few other teams as well. TO comes to mind for effort. Hope they can move forward with a plan to eliminate these deadwood players soon

38. Forum Dog says:

Depth issues are more glaring against a team like the Hawks, but interesting to note that the Habs have nearly $10M/year tied up in players who average little more than 10 minutes/game (Bourque/Prust/Moen/Bournival/Parros/White). They also have $4.25M/year in d-men who rotate in and out of the pressbox.

The Hawks, by comparison, fill those forward spots with about $4M/year (Kruger/Handzus/Shaw/Bollig/Smith), and have about $2M on D who rotate in and out of the lineup. The only questionable money on the Hawk’s right now is Bickell, which was a bit of a forced signing at the time.

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…only 2 of 7 Canadian NHL teams that One may call ‘decent’ (with a chance to make the playoffs) …Vancouver and Our Habs

…and, those 2 are barely in the middle range of what may be termed ‘decent’ (as in, capable of winning more than a first or second round playoff series)

…kinda sad when Anaheim (Disneyland), Tampa Bay and the likes are playing in front of fans that don’t know a puck is flat

40. on2ndthought says:

I’d give up a second round pick for Grigorenko right now. He’d probably blow up this year. There is an off chance MT’s personal development program would work with the help of Marky, Emelin and Chucky (who seems to have a good head on his shoulders). If so, we get the big center with skill everyone is saying we need.

As far as Hickey is concerned, he no doubt has more access to information, that just doesn’t mean he makes better use of the info he has. I’m sure there is a lot of on and off ice stuff I miss, but there are things I can see and will comment on. It’s just up to MB and MT to listen to whom they will and make the decisions we can talk about. I’m pretty sure Hickey has had as much influence in coaching and management decisions as I have.

As far as the Bowmans are concerned: I agree that the biggest mistake was letting Scotty walk instead of making him GM. Can’t re-write history, let’s go Habs!

“a cannonading drive”

41. habsfan0 says:

A measuring stick game for the Habs tonight if there ever was one.

42. ABHabsfan says:

If the Habs finish this game without CP or PK going to Bergevin and demanding to be traded (“trade me right f**king now!), I think we should consider that a victory

• habsfan0 says:

Bergevin’s hands would be tied if that was to actually occur.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

People need to realize that PK and CP are probably not really bothered by MT. At worst, MT is an annoyance. PK and CP are multi-millionaires playing a game for a coach who has one year left on his deal. If they really did not like him him and MT had a 5 year deal then you could speculate. I think PK and CP are thinking more about the Olympics…

• IdleNoMore says:

CP is thinking about his horses and wishes he could make half of what he does in the nhl doing the rodeo

43. slyCH says:

Let’s get ready for the hate on for tonight’s game…

Hey Michel Therrien, tu vaut rien… Michel Tu Vaut Rien, Michel Vautrien, or better yet, Michel T’est rien, this last one flows better. Of course all the above have extra bite when spelling Michel with the feminine double L and E to end his surname. It’s all a matter of taste.

Enjoy y’all.

44. WindsorHab-10 says:

My gut feeling about tonight’s game tells me 3-2 Habs in s/o.

Yes my guts/feelings have lied to me before but not in 2014.

Chicago has four of the top baker’s dozen scorers in the NHL right now. Yikes.

Montreal doesn’t have any in the top 50 although Subban is on the bubble for 50th spot.

Carey! Carey! Carey!

• ABHabsfan says:

Man when was the last time the Habs had a scorer in the top 10? Lafleur? You’d think we would get a ringer at some point in the last 35 years!

• Steven says:

I remember Pleks being in the top 20 or so for practically the whole year the season we went to the Conf. Finals. That’s probably as close as we’ve gotten to top end scoring from a player in a while, though.

• Strummer says:

It was Kovy he was 10th or 11th one season

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

46. habs001 says:

Anything can happen in one game…The Leafs pounded the Hawks 7-3…….7 of the top 8 point producers between the two teams are with the Hawks…Habs need some players like an Eller to have a huge game and get that hat trick…Reality is the Hawks should not lose to the Habs based on roster talent…

47. B says:

The coach of the 1st place team is making some changes to his lines for tonight’s game vs Montreal:

“Quenneville says that while the line juggling is a byproduct of the recent slide, it is also an attempt to help Bickell find his game. Since returning from a knee injury Dec. 17, Bickell has one goal, one assist and is a minus-5 in 10 games.”

–Go Habs Go!–

48. JUST ME says:

Funny that people who write on a blog like HIO would think that their view from the tv set is worth more than one of a guy like Hickey who is with the team everywhere it goes.

Therrien came out and denied the story,P.K. came out and denied the story,now Hickey denies the story but no. I am right in front of my TV and witing on my laptop and since it has been said on the blog by others than me then this is the one and only thruth…Come on get serious.

• PrimeTime says:

HIO should have a separate “Gossip” section.

“Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

What story? Be specific if you’re going to criticize fellow posters.

BTW what makes Hickey a hockey expert? He is a beat writer. People here rip guys like Pierre McGuire but they have played and coached in the league. Heck, some have even won Stanley Cups. Hickey at best is nothing more than a Habs insider.

• Eddie says:

I’ll take Boone’s reaction over Hickeys article, thank you. Boone was concerned. There was reason to be concerned. Of course, Subbans professional approach to Therriens over reaction is what calmed every one day.

Subban is more mature tan his coach. That’s ironic I would say.

49. Forum Dog says:

Not related to tonight’s game, but does anyone think Montreal could try and flip Diaz+ (or someone like Bourque) for Jannick Hansen? A slightly bigger body who can skate, throw a few checks, play the PK and score the odd goal? A natural RH shot. Vancouver signed him to an extension in September, but maybe they view him as expendable. Might be pointless, but then could be a good 3rd line fit.

• ABHabsfan says:

If Diaz has a good Olympics it will certainly help his trade value. He should have a prominent role with the Swiss so he could really stand out

• Habfan17 says:

Who does he play for? I am not familiar with him

Habfan17

• Steven says:

Trade sees lopsided to me. Bourque for Hansen straight up would be lopsided in their favour, I think. Whether we like to accept it or not, Bourque’s a big body who can score. I think it would be foolish to give someone like that away unless we got someone who fills a need, which I don’t really think Hansen does.

• Forum Dog says:

Their production and physical play is similar (despite the fact that Bourque is bigger). Hansen might be a smarter player. The main difference is that Hansen is a RH shot and plays RW naturally. Bourque could (and maybe should) play the right side, but they don’t seem to use him there often.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

All I know is that it seems clear that the Habs are not going to resign Diaz or else they would have already. He is going to be dealt as they can’t let him go for nothing. For who or what? No clue…

50. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Hickey on the radio defending MT’s decision not to try to win last game…what a joke. I thought the objective of a game is to try to win. C’mon…

51. adadi says:

I’ve always liked Hickey. He’s been the gentleman reporter in my mind. However he and most of the scribes covering the Habs are softer than a Patches play on the half board. Most of them are more concerned about losing their hotdog privileges than finding the real story. Of course Boone is to be excluded from this group. He prefers smoked meat.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Of course. Hickey just told a story about a private meeting he had with MT outside of the 24CH cameras. Do you think he would get that access if MT at all perceived he was negative towards him? Of course not.

52. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

All I hope is that it’s a great night at the Bell Centre. I know for a fact that some of my students and their parents made the 8 hour road trip south to Montreal in brutal conditions. And I like and respect the Hawks as many do, hope everybody leaves satisfied.

53. SPATS says:

Gut check time. Are we contenders or pretenders?

I doubt the boys will come out lethargic, if you can’t get amped for this one… I predict we’ll keep up with them until late 2nd or early 3rd like we did against San Jose.

If Crawford is off (good chance with all the friends/family around) and if Waite shares his weaknesses with our snipers (haha had to say it) we have a fighting chance.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

I’m not sure this is a good idea. Especially in today’s lawless, head hunting NHL.

55. rljmartin says:

First prediction, for Habs to win they will have to hold the Hawks to 1 goal or less.

Second prediction, Parros will not play more than 6 minutes.

56. Propwash says:

I have a feeling that this is gonna be a good game.

Don’t quote me on that though…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

57. munch17 says:

I think playing Parros if he’s ready to go is a sign of respect.he is popular,a real team guy, and sacrifices himself for the team.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if after the game they call up a forward.
    I would like to see them give LL a real shot on third line.

58. otisfxu says:

If I hear one more idiot talk about what Parros “brings”,,,
    Realy??????
    Holy FFFFFFF!!!
    A total waste of 3-4 minutes of ice time, if he doesn’t get his lights punched out before that.
    Yep, the Hawks have probably changed their whole game plan knowing he is in the lineup,,,,,,,,maybe carry some extra medical staff to help out, should he go comatose again.

59. Habitant in Surrey says:

…anyOne here besides Myself find it disconcerting, and disheartening, that Scotty Bowman’s son Stan (named after the Stanley Cup) Bowman is part of Team USA’s executive ?

• 24 Cups says:

He was born in Montreal so he must have duel citizenship after moving to Buffalo. Bowman was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma, cancer of the lymph nodes in 2007. Not many people are able to dodge that disease. I find in fascinating that he is only 40 years old and already has two Cup rings.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…yes, I just learned about the lymphoma for first time checking to confirm Stan’s city of birth (which is Montreal as You point out)

…likely another reason Scotty wants to be close to him in Chicago

…but, still disappointed Scotty Bowman’s son feels little connection to his roots in Canada

• habcertain says:

Only that we let Scotty walk when he should have been the next GM here, the beginning of the big slide.

60. NLhabsfan says:

One thing for sure I don’t feel sorry for my leaf fans friends the team has to be disarray.Lets hope the HABS can make good game of it tonight.

61. thebonscott says:

can pateryn, beaulieu, and tinordi really be as bad as diaz, bouillion, and murray/georges. I included georges because his point shot is soooo bad it makes jyrki lumme’s point shot look like a rocket and because of it teams overplay the point shot of the other defensemen, rendering both useless. I wish they would give the kids a chance and swap some of the terrible 4,5,6 d-men for prospects on D.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• SPATS says:

But who would replace Gorges as locker room cheerleader? Surely that’s worth the millions of dollars he’s paid?

While he sacrifices himself and is a team guy and best friend of the franchise, Gorges is simply too easily knocked around to be effective.

At best a 6th Dman.

Shows our lack of leadership yet again (I’ve been muttering about it for years) that the vacuum produces a guy like Josh.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

62. Sportfan says:

Hello all can the Habs win tonight?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Probable Black Hawks Lineup as per Second City Hockey website.

Forwards

Patrick Sharp – Jonathan Toews – Marian Hossa
    Bryan Bickell – Marcus Kruger – Patrick Kane
    Brandon Saad – Michal Handzus – Kris Versteeg
    Brandon Bollig – Andrew Shaw – Ben Smith

Defensive Pairings

Duncan Keith – Brent Seabrook
    Niklas Hjalmarsson – Johnny Oduya
    Nick Leddy – Michal Rozsival

Goaltender

Corey Crawford (17-7-5, 2.49 GAA, .910 save %, 0 SO)

• CJ says:

That’s an impressive group. Equally impressive is how they absorbed the losses of Ladd, Buff and others. What a great team. That said, I hope we hammer them tonight. Go Habs!

• 24 Cups says:

They also have a half dozen or so decent prospects who will be knocking on the door in the next few years. Having kids to rotate into the line-up is a great way of dealing with the space cap and pay raises. Toews and Kane will soon be breaking the bank. Could be the same as Crosby/Malkin.

Some interesting goal differentials around the league.

Anaheim – +39
    St Louis – +62
    Chicago – +42
    San Jose – +33
    LA – +25

Pittsburgh – +39
    Boston – +30
    Tampa – +23
    Montreal – +9
    Washington – +2

65. Habitant in Surrey says:

…like a medieval knight (call Me Sir Shootsalot :) ) I have been crusading for Our Montreal Canadiens to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 …and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Greats

…some of You may believe Toe was only a Great Coach, and as a Player, did not quite rate such an honor …and/or, do not want yet another low-number retired and unavailable to contemporary Players

…maybe unaware Toe Blake also was a great hockey Player, won an NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy and a Lady Byng, led Our Habs in scoring in 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career

…Hector ‘Toe’ Blake was an key component with The Rocket and Elmer Lach on ‘The Punch Line’, which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day

…most younger Fans understandably remember Toe Blake mainly as the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era …the Golden Era that most of Us, whether We know it or not, were inspired to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own

…Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings of the Stanley Cup; …8 as Our Coach, …2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens …and one as a Montreal Maroon

…Toe Blake was the ‘heart and soul’ motivator Whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and Captain, …and as Our Coach

…His Legacy is greatly taken for granted, I strongly believe, by the fact that Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre

…the totality of Toe Blake’s legacy, as a Player and Our Coach, to the History and exceptional success of the Montreal Canadiens becoming the most famous brand in the hockey world is way past the overdue stage

…I request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right a wrong

…We would like to encourage all Montreal Canadiens Fans whom agree with the objective to make Their opinions known to Geoff Molson and Montreal Canadiens executive board, that a special game night to honor Toe Blake’s number 6 with a banner in the Bell Centre is long-overdue

…if this is something You would like to make right as I and Ian do, I provide the following mail contacts to send Your requests to ‘Retire Number 6 !!!’

Geoff Molson: President and Owner

Kevin Gilmore: Vice President of Operations

Send your testimonial to:

c/o The Montreal Canadiens

1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montreal, QC, CANADA
    H3C 5L2

…merci beaucoup :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: P.K. !!!

66. John Frodo says:

Go Habs Go

• John Frodo says:

Wow this is a beer baron that would command the players attention.

I can not seem to link to the picture which is on the proper side of the suitable for work bubble.

go to thinkingabootblogspot

67. CJ says:

Everything suggests the Hawks will win convincingly. Personal pride and the desire to beat the champs will have to be on full display if Montreal hopes to keep it close. I want to see the guys working hard for 60 minutes. A loss won’t be the end of the world, provided we put in a full effort.

68. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Anybody know who will be on the ice wearing the stripey shirts?

69. habcertain says:

Can’t wait for PK to have good game, then listen to how the genius coach should be given the credit cause he knows how to handle him.

• Adidess says:

You’re half-right. If PK has a so-so game, you’ll listen to how that proves he really needs MT to be tough on him, to keep challenging him. MT is good for him either way :)

70. Forum Dog says:

Gonna need to check Kane and Toews pretty hard, and try to get Keith and Seabrook to take some penalties. It’ll be one the the tougher games of the season, but if they can get on the board first and make the Hawks chase, they can pull it out. Of course, Price is gonna have to be at his best, but I have a feeling he’ll be up for this one….

71. JUST ME says:

Wow ! i had the last comment on the last subject. Being first is something but try being last !!!

Have a good game everyone ! Go habs go !

72. Habilis says:

Put me in the pessimistic pile for tonight’s game. In fact, I think we’ll get shelled.

That aside, can someone explain the logic behind not calling anyone up from Hamilton? We have 12 healthy forwards including Parros. So when we play a skilled team, like say the Hawks, our only options are dressing an enforcer or going with 7 D. How is that sufficient?

• IdleNoMore says:

Who do they call up? lol lou?

• JF says:

I’ve been wondering the same thing. We have plenty of cap space, so there’s no problem there. I had expected Louis Leblanc to be called up when Galchenyuk went down. As for Parros, his inclusion tonight is puzzling. I’m glad he has recovered, but I don’t see how he can help us against the Hawks.

Like you, I sort of expect we’ll be shelled. It wouldn’t surprise me if the score were 3-0 Hawks at the end of the first, just as it was against St. Louis.

• Dulljerk says:

I think it is because they want to see if Parros can actually play on regular fourth line shift and pick the right opportunities for pugilsim. I personally think this is George’s final opportunity with the Habs.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Habilis says:

Yeah I’ve seen a few people suggest that. I guess it could be the case, but doing it against Chicago seems like pretty poor timing. Then again, if he pulls off a miracle and plays a decent hockey game, it will have been against the best.

Still, color me skeptical. They have plenty of time to evaluate him with White still out. I’d much rather see a Leblanc or a Thomas on the ice tonight. Someone who might help us score goals, in other words. I love Parros for what he is and what he brings, but he’s just not necessary against teams like the Hawks.

• B says:

Hamilton is in a stretch of 3 games in 3 nights. Habs might make a callup after the Dogs play Iowa tomorrow afternoon.

–Go Habs Go!–

It’s nice to see people with the emotional maturity of a 5 year old post comments here.

74. habs001 says:

Habs win Stanley Cup this year and next..so no more predictions needed…lol

75. Habitant in Surrey says:

…now, now Dave …not nice

76. Habcouver says:

Don’t worry Ram T. I’m with you on your prediction… as long as I don’t get a time out for stomping up and down if we’re wrong.

Waiting patiently for #25

77. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Get it right…my maturity level is of a three year old…

78. Mike Boone says:

Play nice, ya bastids, or no cookies after your nap.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

Who said I am nice? I have a reputation to uphold.

Damn. I was hoping for tonight’s 6/49 numbers.

81. ABHabsfan says:

can I come over? I have scotch

82. Habitant in Surrey says:

…You have a reputation alright :)

83. Et le but says:

Original Six-itis…..don’t get to see the Hawks often in these parts.
    Keith’s Hop Series by the way, orange label

84. Rob Maguire says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

85. danhabsfan says:

Because MT preaches the dump and give up the puck approach, rather than carry it in a set up approach.

86. danhabsfan says:

Hahahaha

87. Et le but says:

Tom Sawyer?

88. Danno says:

The page changed. Big what’s the big deal? It was worth saying for those who missed it. What’s your big contribution?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

89. Dunboyne Mike says:

You know he’s so right, Danno.

You’re going to have to take this one on the chin — it’s good advice.
    THEN, you need to write more posts like Slacker, helpfully advising others on the Dos and Don’t of posting. Can you do that Danno? I mean, can you be more like Slacker? Start thinking up some helpful tips. Also try and read others’ posts more critically, more analytically. Then, as soon as you spot something sub-standard, BANG, you’re in there, helping to fix HIO one post at a time, ultimately being Slacker’s right-hand man as you elevate HIO to the status of Elite Blog. Frankly, Danno, I think I speak for everyone here when I say we were all beginning to tire of your wit, insight, and good humour. It was time for a change. No one felt comfortable telling you this, so I believe we all owe a debt of gratitude to Slacker for not only speaking truth but also for helpfully showing you the way forward, and the best possible way, the only way: by example.

In conclusion: we need MOAR Slacker!

90. ABHabsfan says:

Toews’ girlfriend is smokin’ hot and that should count for something

91. Danno says:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

92. twilighthours says:

I like the jacket.

93. CHicoHab says:

lets hope its not from harry rosens.lol

“take your time and hurry up”

94. danhabsfan says:

No, it was a good call

95. sCOTT1243 says:

what would we have to complain about then on this site :)

96. monmick says:

PK would need to bebenched for 10 mins every game…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

97. Habilis says:

Because not every team is Chicago. This effort would be wasted against a paltry team like the Flyers.
    But seriously, who the frick knows?

98. Adidess says:

Because most opponents don’t play like the Blackhawks. Other teams bodycheck them hard and hit them in the mouth, which is a game Habs are not built for.

We are built for this game here. That’s why the grinding thing makes so little sense

99. Mavid says:

He is the Captain..its his job to complain..put the camera on any Captain on any team and you will see the same thing..he is not a whiner..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

100. Dave Jones says:

Briere had some good shifts in the first. Max must be out though…

101. monmick says:

Winner…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

102. habfan01 says:

What’s an iPad?

103. The Jackal says:

It was just you.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

104. habs-fan-84 says:

I hear TMZ is on…

105. Dave Jones says:

I saw that. PK and Markov have opposite personalities. PK probably drives Marky nuts–and I’m sure PK knows it!

106. Mavid says:

what a stupid comment, you know she was a professional hockey player who has won gold?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

107. monmick says:

Golds…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

108. The_Truth says:

Yes, Ok. Has nothing to do with her commentating skills. Find her really pointless on the CBC and it has nothing to do with her being a women.

109. HabFab says:

He claims to be idle no more but it seems to only apply to his posting… the brain is not engaged.

110. 25Stanleycups says:

Hopefully they go on a infinite winning streak and are never heard from again.

111. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Patches who set up Markov for the OT winner?

112. CJ says:

Might as well nitpick after beating the best team in the league.

113. Landof10000lakesHab says:

The same Patches who had the highest TOI for any Hab fwd.

114. Mavid says:

hehehe…guess he better not buy a lottery ticket either..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

115. The_Truth says:

He was wrong in his prediction, but let’s not get carried away, the Hawks are the clearly better team. Kudos for the Habs playing a structured hard game, but in a 7 game series it wouldn’t be close.

116. Mavid says:

he stated it as if it was a fact..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

117. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m sure you’re not the only one…

118. Mr. Biter says:

Sitting in Hotel room in Chicago (all hotel T.V.’s on NFL ) watching game. If we could play like that every night even 7 out of 10 nights. Excellent game.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

119. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

There must have been a bar outside with the game on…no? You have to go out while you’re in Chicago!

120. slyCH says:

jUST CONFERED WITH MY FRIEND FOR NEW BIZZZ……

121. Mr. Biter says:

wanted to have a few drinks and not drive and Chicago fans are not noted to be tolerant to non hawk fans.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

122. habcertain says:

Must be better than the Bruin’s lot