Liveblog: Game 45 – Philly Phutility continues with 3-1 loss

Streit

Wait'll next season!

The Canadiens have not won a regular-season game in Philadelphia since April 2, 2010.

They'll have to wait until next season to break the streak.

On their final visit to the City of Brotherly Love, the Canadiens were dreadful, losing 3-1 and being outshot 27-10.

Sean Couturier, Zac Rinaldo and Michael Raffl gave the home team a 3-0 lead before Tomas Plekanec scored a shorthanded goal to spoil Steve Mason's bid for a shutout.

You couldn't fault Peter Budaj, who made several good saves to keep the score vaguely respectable.

P.K. Subban took a penalty in a scrum that ended the second period and spent the first 12 minutes of the third nailed to the Canadiens' bench.

So what if he's an Olympian?

No scoring in the third period.

P.K. Subban, who took a penalty in the scrum that ended the second period, was benched for almost 12 minutes to start the third.

Shutout avoided

On the first shift after a Canadiens power play, Michael Raffl gave the Flyers a 3-0 lead.

Late in the period with Philadelphia on a power play, Tomas Plekanec converted a pass from Brian Gionta for his 14th of the season.

Brandon Prust and Zac Rinaldo fought to wake up the Wells Fargo Center crowd.

And the Canadiens will start the third period without P.K. Subban because of a scrum at the siren.

Shots were 12-6 for the hme team.

Who gives a shot?

The Canadiens had the first three shots of the game on Steve Mason.

Philadelphia had the next six, and Sean Couturier popped one into an open net past Peter Budaj to open the scoring.

The Canadiens were to go 10 MINUTES – including a power play – without a SoG, and the Flyers extended their lead when Zac Rinaldo scored his first of the season on a backhander that ticked in off Lars Eller.

The Canadiens had a late-period flurry, with another PP, and the shots were 9-9.

Tough town

As was the Spectrum back in the day, the Wells Fargo Centre is an inhospitable arena for your Montreal Canadiens.

They haven't won in Philadelphia since April, 2010.

On Dec. 12, this season's previous visit, the Canadiens were outshot 27-21 and only an Alex Galchenyuk goal, scored with 56 seconds to play, avoided the ignominy of a shutout in a 2-1 loss.

The Flyers were 3-2 overtime winners in New Jersey Tuesday night. They got a goal from Claude Giroux, who was snubbed by Team Canada earlier in the day.

Peter Budaj gets the start in goal.

Puck drops 7:40ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

1,012 Comments

1. habstrinifan says:

P.K WILL GO TO ARBITRATION. You heard it here first!

• Frank2468 says:

P.K will got to Abritration if the M.B is lucky. I could see him sign a 1 year contract and do the Jonny Cash walk. “These Boots Were Made For Walking” And it would look good on M.B and M.T. Guess the mandate since the Roy trading is “Crap all over your star players”

• wjc says:

So let him go, its all about money anyways. 7,8,9, 20 million. Pay me, feed me, pay me, pay me….I don’t want to be rich, I want to be richer, and then the richest.

wjc

2. habstrinifan says:

So MB opens is inexperienced and unschooled mouth and craps all over P.K and inevitably himself.

P.K plays with a ‘negative’ chip on his shoulder which affects his game.

Team is caught like passengers in a bus where two people are yelling at each other.. uncomfortable and thus unfocussed.

MT reacts like the bully he is.

And this franchise’s saga of ineptness continues.

And oh yeah people here… well let them speak for themselves if they dare.

• slyCH says:

I really have to see this MT post game fiasco. Haven’t seen you beside yourself ever.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

MB? Marc Bergevin? What did he say?

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• formerly known as the hc says:

I assume they are referring to the MB interview earlier today or yesterday. All he really said was that PK has improved a lot since he has been here… And I thought that my daughter read WAY too much into things…

• wjc says:

Actually, I have started to become aware of fan ‘unawareness, and ineptness. They can not see beyond their hero’s. So sad. Sports are not becoming ruined, they are ruined.

Why have a coach, why not let the players take care of business themselves, then your eyes would be opened wide.

wjc

3. slyCH says:

You know things are getting ugly when you hit refresh on the page and the comments are counting down…

4. Sportfan says:

Anyone start saying the trade everyone?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. theox_8 says:

No surprise with the score here , not like we have been dominating at all in a long time. Oh well, Philly always gets the best of us usually .

6. jimmy shaker says:

Okay, go ahead now and get buff and Kane from Winnipeg. Sure it will take Diaz, Eller and a couple high picks……but it seems about time!

Shaker out!

7. ClutchNGrab says:

I wonder if Therrien used the same strategy when he coached Pittsburgh. Either he didn’t or Crosby didn’t get the message.

And then Plekanec sharpened the needle just a little, elaborating on the “under the skin” theory:

“That’s (Crosby’s) weakness, everybody knows that,” Plekanec said. “When you get him to … start running around, slashing guys, cross-checking guys, jumping guys from behind, then you know he’s off his game. …

8. slyCH says:

Should I bother waiting for CHexpress on RDS or will I only break my computer out of sheer anger, even though I already know the score. Did MT really bench an Olympian? Wow. Now I’ve heard it all…

• Frank2468 says:

Don’t watch it’s called crap in an hour tonight and yes M.T did bench P.K tonight!! Guess he didn’t want the fact that Team Canada came calling for P.K to go his head M.T should wear a pointed hat stating I was fired twice by the Habs and once by Pens for having “No Respec” and go back L’antichambre

9. ProHabs says:

Heellllllloooooo Bergevin!!!! Are you there??? Might be time to make a move or two. This team is self distructing.

10. Dulljerk says:

27-10?

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

11. habstrinifan says:

Storm ManJANUARY 8, 2014 AT 9:57 PM
    “I would just be happy with a real coach I can’t recall the last time we had one”.

Same here. And you know what. There are players on that team who are just waiting to get to play for a real coach.

12. The_Truth says:

A lot of blame to go around, but nobody mentions Eller. He is terrible offensively and never does anything. Defensively he isn’t a prize either. Never goes to the net and isn’t tough for his size. For those that think he is a key part of the future, better look again.

Last 25 games 3G 4 A 7P -7

13. gmoan says:

I’d rather have Gomez than DD

14. CH Marshall says:

I would have thought that even if losing, a coach should pull the goalie and focus the group on scoring a goal in that last minute. At least to try and build something positive in the face of defeat. Not pulling the goalie and benching PK for minutes on end really sends a negative tone. Should have had everyone coming back out guns BLAZING for 20 minutes

15. Habcouver says:

MT already said he was satisfied with the first half of the season. Why would he change a good thing?

Waiting patiently for #25

16. theox_8 says:

Pk benched pathetic MT . Some days the only players that seem to show up are price and pk . Mt , you suck !

• Frank2468 says:

If M.B cares about this team, then get rid of M.T, Bourgue, Gio, Brière, Moen and yes D.D. If M.T keeps doing what he’s doing to P.K we as fans are going to lose are best defenseman in such a long long time. M.T needs to have Respec!!!!!!!

17. habcertain says:

I see the MT defenders have quietly left the building, kind of tough to defend the benching when you are down. In a situation where off setting penalties is the right call I guess MT feels PK should just get mauled and take it Iike a man. We have seen enough, unfortunately,

18. slyCH says:

PK got benched?…for what? Damn I need to change my schedule so I can watch more of these games.

19. durocher says:

Trade Bourque for Erat — at least Erat has one less year on his contract, and is a smart two-way player. True, Erat hasn’t been playing well offensively this year, but neither has Bourque. We’d basically be trading for one less year on a contract.

20. naweed235 says:

One of the major reasons (not saying it’s the only reason) that this team has been bad is the play of Markov. He has been bad for the last 6 or 7 games and especially horrible in the last 2. He can’t make a smart play on the PP to save his life and is consistently giving the puck away… Thank god we didn’t resign him to a ridiculous contract solely based on his play in the first 30 games or so…

21. habstrinifan says:

So where’s D-Mex and the others . Step up and tell me that MT does NOT treat Subban differently. You remember Markov and the penalty he took some time back? Was he benched?

22. pete says:

oh and if patches cant learn to play with out DD then trade em both

23. CJ says:

This is going to come across as a huge excuse, but timing is such a major part of professional sports. When we played the Av’s two months ago they were red hot. Jiggy was in a zone and the team looked like they were poised to break through to the upper echelon. I’m watching them play the Sens tonight and they look absolutely awful. Like worse then us awful. Ottawa is going to take two points, while we gave up two points.

There are so many ebbs and flows to this great game. As difficult as it might be, we just have to ride it out.

24. Frank2468 says:

Bourque is Gomez 2.0 at half speed and about half price!!!

25. pete says:

All I can say is WOW think MB should have a long talk with MT and a few players over the break. Yes lets see if the youngsters can spark this team bring some life back

26. Marc10 says:

There’s definitely a difference between the team last year and this year’s edition. We’re not as hungry for the win. We’re not playing ‘the swarm’, up tempo forechecking style. Is it because the coaches feel that style of play will lead to a tired and injured team? In any event, we’re just not competing hard enough to win against teams that want it.

27. CJ says:

I’m certainly not a huge MT fan, however I just don’t see how we are all of a sudden a great team with a coaching change. Could we be better then fourth place in the east? I honestly don’t think so.

Again, I’m NOT suggesting MT is the best coach, or maybe even the best coach for us, but what’s the alternative?

• Frank2468 says:

The alternative is we keep M.T is possibly losing P.K cause if I were P.K I would get fed up of M.T’s continual finger pointing. Lets not have another Tremblay incident M.B stop the insanity soon or suffer the slings and arrows and watch P.K walk off in to the sunset as 29 other teams have a bidding war for him. And if that should happen I bet Price wouldn’t be that far behind P.K cause what kind of message are you sending to your franchise goalie after doing nothing to protect your franchise defense man. With P.K gone you may as well string a bunch of Christmas lights around Price and set it for fast blinking for the number of times the puck would be in the net

And so it begins.

29. 416erHabsFan says:

I really can’t wait to see this team play without Bourque. Every time he steps foot on the ice I get angry.He does absolutely nothing. He doesn’t hit,he doesn’t fight, he doesn’t score, he doesn’t set anybody up,he doesn’t stand/battle in front of the net. Why does this guy still play for us? Even DD/Gio/Briere have started to wake up a bit, why not this guy? If anybody deserves some press box time it is him. Ok, I feel better now.

30. ooder says:

I dont think mt is the greatest coach but look at the roster. These players are just small and physically outmatched. When a guy who is 6″2 can skate as fast as DD, well then DD is losing that puck battle.
    Diaz has the greatest wet noodle impression I have ever seen. The dd line actually pissed me off, because gally was doing all the work only to have his two linemates skate around like bums while he worked his ass off.

31. Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 6m
    “Team concept is very important. That we will never, never, never change.” #Habs Therrien re Subban benching

ah I remember that concept with Sidney hahahhahahahha

hey Mario,
    Yeah Sid
    He’s got to go :lol:

I know the Habs are a middle the pack team, and not the coach’s fault he only has so much to work with, but you can’t change a leopard’s spots and you can’t wipe your butt with a tea bag :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

32. frontenac1 says:

Well there ya go amigos! PJ stock the only guy on AC calling out MT for benching PK. The other guys making excuses for MT.

33. Plekasuares says:

8 Olympians. Not the team fellas

34. chilli says:

Win or lose, our offense is so boring. Truly. Only 39 more games with Gio. Nice guy, but I can’t wait to give someone else the ice time.
    His $5 mil salary has one more goal than his teammate Bournival at $690g.

Heck, one more goal than Maxime Lapierre this season.

Tre

35. HabsLifer says:

My post is a lot less analytical than most. WHAT A BUNCH OF BUMS!!! We are going nowhere fast. Forget the dreams of any success this year and bring up the young guns! No one, and I do mean no, can tell me that Beaulieu, Tinordi and Patyern would not do a better job than Bouillon, Diaz, or Murray. Lets cut our losses and bring the reinforcemants from Hamilton. They have shown some signs of potential. Next, get rid of MT. He has no respect from his players. I feel for Plecs, PK, Markov, and Gally. They are trying too hard to make a difference because they are trying to carry the rest of the bums on the team. I am very fustrated and will not be happy until this happens. I checked Capgeek.com today to see who might be available as a free agent next year and it is slim pickin’s. So my point is simple. Get the guys up from the farm team and under a new coach, it may very well wake up the bums on the team! GRRRRRR…

———————————
    Claude Provost Rocked!

• JUST ME says:

You really expect to have some support on such a desperate plan. Look at where the team got in the standings and tell me such a desperate plan is called for. Thank goD your not our G.M. Sleep on it. It will be clearer tomorrow.

• HabsLifer says:

“Just me”, I’ve been watching the Canadiens since 1956 and I know when a coach has reach the point in time where he can no longer motivate his players effectively. The team, as you state, might look pretty good if you look at the standings, but the silver is wearing off on the coach. All I am suggesting is to give the young kids some experience in the bigs earlier than expected. The team is going nowhere in the upcoming playoffs so whats the harm in calling the farm for the sake of giving them more experience in the NHL. A lot of people agreed with my comments within my circle of friends. There was also some similar comments on Antichambre tonight and I agree with those comments, even if it was initiated by PJ Stock. That’s my story and I’m…you know the rest.

———————————
        Claude Provost Rocked!

36. CJ says:

The Blackhawks Rangers game was a beauty from what I was able to catch flipping back and forth.

37. Habcouver says:

Watching that replay of PK’s pass to Briere for the partial breakaway, those are the kind of goals he is supposed to bury!

Waiting patiently for #25

38. Frank2468 says:

Does Brière still play for the Flyers???? Seems like he’s a neutral 6th forward out there. Guess he’s hoping the be reunited with Vinny, Claude.

• CJ says:

Hard to identify just one guy. The majority didn’t have their legs. The team wasn’t ready to compete. That first goal is so key. We are a totally different team when we get the first one.

• Frank2468 says:

Yes the whole team played awful tonight but in the case of Briere he’s playing his old team. And when most players play their old team they come out fired up!! This was his second kick of the can and didn’t answer. Can he win the game by himself hell no!!! But if he came out blazing it could help in sending a message to the rest of the team?? You know wake up and smell the coffee idea. As far as playing well when they score first. That’s all well and fine, but you have to be able to play from behind as well. So guess when the other team scores first they should pack it in cause they play better with the lead????

• CJ says:

I hoped Briere would have produced tonight, but he didn’t. I firmly believe that for him to be successful, he needs to centre a line with two big wingers. On the road, when the home team has last change our small team gets exploited.

I agree, the team is able to play with both a lead and from behind. Perhaps I was just stating the obvious. In any event, they need to be better in the first period. First 25 – 30 games this year we were a great first period team. Now, not so much. The game inside the game.

39. GL says:

Don’t even want to think about Saturday night. Price I do believe you’re gonna be in for a long night.

40. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

We’re the Habs unable to get a player from Hamilton to Philadelphia due to the weather? If so, that explains that. The actual game… Nothing explains that. Habs WERE their usual great selves on the PK. Another SHG is also cool. Prust winning a fight: cool. Everything else… Effed up. I love this team, but it’s at least 5 player changes away from being a good team. (And I’m one of those glass half full guys!)

41. habkin says:

Well, it is time for a coaching change. Players are not willing to play with intensity or respond to MT consistently. As much as I dislike the Flyers, Philly has a good team.

42. durocher says:

The Habs’ PP should make Michael Bay feel better

43. Storman says:

The only good thing about tonight, is the Leaf’s did not play, but they still lost 6-2.

44. Peter Young says:

The better team won, but it’s too bad our Canadiens didn’t put up an effort as they went down to defeat. It’s painful to be a fan at times, and this is one of them. But we will stay the course and support our team no matter what. We are in it for the long haul. Go Habs, go

45. Et le but says:

Even the fact that the Leafs have only won twice in regulation in their last 23 games does not give me solace.
    Something has to give here…the way this season is trending, we will not make the playoffs.

46. FormalWare says:

And now the Rangers lead the Hawks, again. Unsatisfactory night, all ’round. [-(

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

47. NCRhabsfan says:

Habs laid a turd in the city of brotherly love. Imagine, people paid money to see that performance by the Habs. I feel like the Canadiens should send everyone that attended the game a refund with an apology that the team wasn’t available to play tonight.

Undoubtedly the worst group of forwards in the league. The only way this team wins a playoff game is if Price steals it or the other team doesn’t show up.

Can they just release Bourque?

48. Habilis says:

The scariest part of Therrien committing to the loss like that? You don’t do that unless you’re pretty confident that it won’t get you fired.
    Now Therrien isn’t the brightest bulb on the tree, so maybe he just doesn’t see how thin the ice is.

But more likely is that MB has given him some sort of vote of confidence in private.

Liking MB less and less by the day.

• NCRhabsfan says:

You do that when you don’t have a single forward that is a greater offensive threat than Budaj. No forward earned another 30 seconds of ice time tonight. If he had some imagination he would have sent out 5 defence men for the last minute of the game.

49. Danno says:

It looked to me like PK didn’t bolt out at top speed when he left the penalty box in the third period. If he did, he might have had a breakaway. But he probably knew MT was benching him so he said F— it.
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

50. GL says:

Philly is the better all around team and they proved it tonight no sense complaining about it. They loss …

51. habs-fan-84 says:

Not that I think it would have made much difference, but Im still baffled as to why MB didnt call anyone up.

52. gmoan says:

Maybe change things up and try Eller on the pp? It’s just depressing to watch this team play…

53. CH Marshall says:

Gorges must be shouting at the top of his lungs right now

54. Blade says:

Geez Louise, benching PK? Why? MT wanted to prove a point that he does not want to get back into this game? Silly and just plain dumb!

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Philthydelphia is a team that defines exactly where Our Team is at and what ??? Our Team is capable of

56. PeterD says:

Management blew this one by not calling in a forward from Hamilton.
    11 forward and 7 defense was the ultimate line blender.
    It was embarrassing to watch…starting watch this team with a paper bag over my head.
    Embarrassing display for this team.

57. Et le but says:

Been a Habs fan my whole life (born in 1963) and will always be, but boy is this edition ever frustrating to watch!

58. JUST ME says:

Sooooooo…It was pretty obvious from the start that nothing good was coming out of this game. No nothing from no one. Blame whoever you want tonight it`s well deserved. I blame myself for looking at this horror show …

59. Ron says:

MB should fire MT before they leave the rink. Give the ahole a bus ticket and $5 for snacks. If he has not already lost the room he sure as hell did tonight. Benching PK was absolutily asinine. Not pulling the goalie further pushed him over. Total train wreck MT is.

60. rljmartin says:

Now we know why MT dressed 7 D-men.

61. This team played like the backup was in net. You guys know what I mean, sometimes when you play the backup you pack it in before the game even starts.

Anyway, you can’t bench your best player ever! This is 2014, tough love does not work, players are completely different than even 5 years ago and it get’s worse every year. It’s a personality era change. Add in muti-million contract and as soon as you get yelled at you say to yourself FUcoach, I’ll be here longer than you.

But hey what do I know, I’ve hated this guy for over a decade. :lol:

He’s (Therrien) a filler until the team is built and by then maybe Robinson will get a call, or maybe Muller.

CAREY CAREY CAREY

gO HaBs Go

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• SlovakHab says:

That backup comment doesn’t make any sense, mate.

Look at Budaj’s record.

Habs are just getting worse and worse since the beginning of Dec and that’s coaching, not starting a backup.

Pretty sure St Louis Blues would still smoke us 6:0 even with their backup in nets…

62. billylove says:

For all those venting, just remember, this group is NOT a contender so expectations are only going to create further frustrations. Having said that, I’m also tired of seeing the same old scenario play out year after year. I’ve just stopped hoping for miracles.

• chfan4life says:

We all know that. But they get paid MILLIONS to PLAY hockey. We the fans just want a honest effort. What would your boss say if you told him that you are showing up for work today but don’t expect me to do anything. Read my lips, “YOUR FIRED”.

63. Danno says:

I blame PK’s stylish fedora and so does MT

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

64. Castor says:

Guys.

Guys

Therrien benched PK while down two goals and isn’t pull Budaj in the last minutes. He COMMITTED TO LOSING THE GAME to prove…what? Salut!

65. gumper says:

Message to Mr. Molson. Not sure how good or bad this team really is, but they have been absolutely zero fun to watch for the better part of a month. Please remember sir that one of your primary purposes is to ice a team that is entertaining. Watching them play is like watching paint dry.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

66. The Teacher says:

Doesn’t Chicago have 10

67. Ring of Fire says:

Pens fired him n then went on to win the Cup….we could only hope for so much…..I b happy if they showed more fire n won a couple rounds…still baffled why he was rehired again.

The Thin Blue Line.

68. jsaz says:

MB is starting to piss me off. I think he’s to soft

69. rljmartin says:

Serious issue when coaches EGO and message is more important than winning.

Subban sure minded his P’s and Q’s during last PP. Way to go MT.

70. Marc10 says:

Well the boys gave it to them. Zzzzzz…

Piss poor effort. You can’t win it if you don’t want it. I expect a royal spanking by the Blackhawks. They might put more than 6 into our goalies. Sad really. Price and Budaj don’t deserve to be fed the lions.

The Habs have the tools to compete, but they can’t win with a half effort… from half the guys.

71. ooder says:

ghally, pleks, markov, prust, subban and moen showed up to play.
    everyone else was completely ineffective

72. adadi says:

Those of you that think PK wouldn’t blow this team to move to a real team, think again.

73. Mondou6 says:

It’s a combination of not enough talent on our roster, and a coach who doesn’t get very much out of the limited talent we have.

74. Et le but says:

Maybe the Hawks will bring out our A game on Saturday.
    Or then again, maybe they will pummel us like L.A. and St. Louis did…

75. kingcammy says: