Liveblog: Game 44 – Canadiens play 40 great minutes, win 2-1, move past Tampa Bay into second place in Atlantic

CelebrateFla

Panthers finally de-clawed

It wasn't easy.

Through 40 minutes, the Canadiens outshot Florida 25-11.

Goals by David Desharnais and Brian Gionta offset one by Sean Bergenheim.

The visitors came alive in the third period, unleasing a 16-shot barrage at Carey Price.

He stopped them all.

The Canadiens outshot Florida 35-27 on the game, but Tim Thomas kept it close.

The win moved the Canadiens past Tampa Bay into second place in the Atlantic Division, behind Boston.

Price slams the door

16 saves in the third period.

Hello, Sochi

The captain is hot

Brian Gionta had one goal in 28 games.

Then the Canadiens' captain scored against Ottawa on Saturday and popped another against Florida.

Credit Tomas Plekanec with chasing down Ed Jovanoski and stripping the Panthers defenceman behind Tim Thomas. Pleks then fed a saucer pass to Gionta, who beat Thomas high.

The Canadiens outshot Florida 12-6, 25-11 through 40 minutes.

Thomas hot

• David Desharnais beat Tim Thomas on the Canadiens' first shot, 6:23 into the game.

The home team dominated until Sean Bergenheim beat Carey Price on Florida's fourth shot of the game.

Thomas made 12 saves after conceding the goal.

Carey Price faced five shots – equalling Max Pacioretty's individual total ... plus hitting the goalpost.

The Panther paradox

Florida sits 15 points behind your Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference standings.

The Panthers have scored 11 fewer goals than the Canadiens.

They've allowed 32 more.

But for all the evident disparity in quality between the two teams, Florida has beaten the Canadiens twice this season: 2-1 at the Bell Centre on Dec. 15, 4-1 two weeks later in Sunrise.

In both games, Scott Clemmensen outgoaled Peter Budaj.

Carey Price will face the Panthers Monday night.

And P.K. Subban will strut his stuff one more time before the Olympic roster is announced on Tuesday.

Puck drops 7:40ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

•  •  •

The HIO technical crew tell me some mobile users are having trouble accessing Comments. This pains me deeply because a day without the wisdom of Timo is like a day without sunshine.

We're on it.

We are working to restore the commenting function for readers accessing our HIO site via mobile device. Apologies for the inconvenience. You can still access the comments and make comments on our HIO apps or via the computer desktop view of  hockeyinsideout.com

•  •  •

The Dawn of hockey on TV in Canada:

1. Marc10 says:

After seeing Seguin in Dallas… I’d pick him for the Olympic Team. Boston really stuffed up there.

2. Mavid says:

Jessica is such a little cutie..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

3. Dunboyne Mike says:

What would be wrong with swapping Bournival and Bourque?

4. Reflektor says:

The Olympic motto is the hendiatris Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is Latin for “Faster, Higher, Stronger”. Coubertin said “These three words represent a programme of moral beauty. The aesthetics of sport are intangible.”

Sounds like PK is in!

5. kmachabs27 says:

Subban will be the 7th defensivemen for Canada. No Higher.

6. Sportfan says:

Lets just have 2 team Canadas!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

7. Plekasuares says:

Anyone else worried about the selections tommorow. NO THORNTON please! If PK Is not on the team it will be ridiculous and complete nonsense.

8. Mavid says:

It really burns my ass the its even a discussion PK on Team Canada is a no brainer..all this talk about his attitude I have never seen one shred of evidence, he is always well spoken, humble, and puts all the credit on his teammates..I have challenged the Sens fans for proof time and time again, and all they do is dance around the question..I guess they are still pissed that their precious Ryan was snubbed for team USA..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

9. Habfan10912 says:

Watching Rangers/Blue Jackets. Halfway thru the 1st and I’ve counted 6 plays exactly like PK’s penalty Saturday night. 6. Guess how many were penalties?
    Maybe piece of crap Daddy Campbell should spend more time talking to his officials then calling PK on the carpet.

10. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The latest “No-PK to Socchi” excuse being floated is ridiculous. Supposedly some of the Team Canada “brain trust” (oxymoron) worry PK will be upset if he’s not in the top-6 and will become a “distraction”.

Let me get this straight. A good-looking charismatic single guy living in the Olympic village with arguably the greatest selection of available and willing women (next to the Summer Olympics) is going to be upset if he can’t play. Right. Do these idiots know what goes on at these events? They gave out 150,000 condoms at the last summer games…DO THE MATH! Yeah, PK will be sulking on his way to multiple parties with free condoms…life is hard. If I knew about this debauchery when I was younger I would have tried playing or coaching every single possible sport in existence…lol.

11. Sportfan says:

If Crosby is the greatest shouldn’t he be easy to play with?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

12. Reflektor says:

“Phaneuf hopes for Canada nod

Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf will be on pins and needles waiting for Tuesday’s announcement of Team Canada’s roster for the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

In the meantime he will be concentrating on shutting down John Tavares of the Islanders. Phaneuf is routinely matched up against the opposition’s best scorers.”

13. munch17 says:

It would be great if we had a young , high draft choice like Barkov who can play center, is big and talented and can play 18 minutes and play on the PP.
    Wait a second – we do.
    Let’s keep it a secret.

14. Plekasuares says:

Go Auburn? YUCK Boone. Go FSU rep the ACC with pride! Habs win 4-3 in ot tonight!

Okay, so single hotel rooms were big issue to Darche, safe to assume the media can now dig up the fact that PK was his road roomie and that they didn’t like each other? :)

16. Lafleurguy says:

Would really burn his butt if Subbie had to watch from the sidelines, Diaz and Yannick Weber play in the Olympics. Also, with the over one billion viewers likely to be watching, it would be like denying the world from watching Pele, OK, maybe George Best.

“May you live in interesting times.”

17. Sportfan says:

Cause the biggest issue when the strike was going on was hotel rooms

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

18. WVHabsfan says:

Let beat the cats!!!! We can’t lose three in a row to Florida!!

19. Samovich says:

I recommend Kilgours for Mr. Gagnon it is a Habs Bar in downtown that shows the game in full volume on the RDS feed. its on Bloor st. west.

20. The Jackal says:

Gagnon should head over to Kilgour’s on Bloor and Brunswick (just past Brunswick on the south side of Bloor).
    Really good Habs bar and a great place to watch the Habs.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

21. thebonscott says:

put panthers in camel clutch and make them humble, DD suplex barkov in the parking lot after game, break his back.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

22. Castor says:

In your poll about the Habs and the playoffs there’s no – UNFORTUNATELY – option.

It’s unfortunate they will make the playoffs because it’ll just mean Therrien sticks around for another year.

23. Sportfan says:

For all the players who don’t make team Canada, they should be happy they get a two week vacation, they get to heal and relax, they can see their families, go to a warm beach area.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

24. The Jackal says:

God I just hope Nash doesn’t make the team.
    Put Neal in instead of Nash, that guy has not scored 40 goals in years.
    Neal is an absolute beast.

Another guy that Team Canada would be stupid not to take is Patrick Sharp. Hopefully Team Canada doesn’t lay a bomb on us like Team USA did.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

25. Lafleurguy says:

Barkov’s gonna be great, Boonie.

“May you live in interesting times.”

26. topher5468 says:

As a passionate fan, I don’t like it when the CH lose. However, over the years, I’ve come to terms with the fact the losing is part of the game and it ( a loss) doesn’t stay with me as long as it used to, except when its the Bruins, Leafs and back in the day the Nordiques. The first 2 losses to Florida, to me, there was on key factor, the Panthers out worked us in both games , That really bothered me. I hope that changes tonight or else we will lose again

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• CJ says:

It really is that simple. Florida had their legs moving the first two games. Tonight, we right the wrong. It’s going to take a full 60 minutes, but I’m hoping the character displayed on Saturday has been woven into the fabric of this team. That character will be needed this week, and going forward.

27. on2ndthought says:

Wow, PK gets reprimanded for having his stick grabbed, getting dragged down, wrenching his stick free and getting called for a penalty that decides the game. The league should have issued an apology and reprimanded Chondra. Grrr!

“a cannonading drive”

28. Rugger says:

I would usually agree with you Mr. Boone about knocking the ref’s is a no win, but in PK’s situation he is already the target of so many BS calls that calling anymore would look so obvious that it might get the media attention it deserves.

29. aversglay says:

If Subban were a bubble player, whether he made the team would not generate much interest. It is generating much interest :. He is not a bubble player.

• Dave Jones says:

I think this is exactly right. The sense is, of course he should make it, as the defending Norris trophy winner, having another strong season; yet, he might not for what would be entirely bogus reasons (that he’s high risk, or has locker room issues). I can’t be the only one that already finds it very, very difficult not to see racism at work in his ‘bubble’ status, let alone if he is in fact left off the team.

• matrags says:

The debate on Subban is profound and does raise some troubliing questions as to why, wwhat is it that merits the intense and over the top discussion about wheather a world jr gold medalist and reigning Norris trophy winner ,is fit to wear the jersey of team Canada .

• matrags says:

I have been saying it here since Cherrys comment that he should learn his place and show some respect , that he is being held to a different standard ,and as hard as I try to ffind a reason that has to do with his on ice game I am stymied and left with the ugly feeling that deep down it is his race.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Completely agree.

• Alvin says:

Bubble player means he’s on the outside looking in. Which he is.

30. frontenac1 says:

Vas -y Les Boys! Panthers? Are you f#cing kidding me? Kick their arse! Beat the snot out of them! Embarrass them! Make them whimper! Saludos!

31. DipsyDoodler says:

The 3 best d-men in the league this year are Keith, Karlsson and Subban.

Coincidentally the last three (still active) Norris winners.

32. Eddie says:

Saw a discussion about “losing the room” below. It refers to a situation when the team leaders take their grievances directly upstairs to the GM or another office staff member, bypassing the coach and inevitably blaming the coach.

• on2ndthought says:

right, I used the wrong expression. I think Julien actually lost the confidence of his GM (BG) because his room was a mess.

“a cannonading drive”

33. Man Dingga says:

Subbs has to be on the team. He’s too good. Can you imagine Team Canada’s number one power play unit on defence? I’d go Weber and Subbs. Both can hammer the puck and both can set each other up. What a deadly combo!

34. JUST ME says:

It`s difficult to compare styles of defensmen on the olympic team cause let`s face it, all of the candidates are top notch but if i have to choose one, one guy that can change the game ,take the puck and make my team win , P.K. has to be in the picture. I know, i know, being Habs fan does not make me the best to judge but i believe that all over the league P.K. is seen as an offensive threath.

The reason why the juniors have been out of the medals for the past 4 years is due to the same mentality that is second guessing whether PK Subban should be in Sochi or not. As far as I am concerned if I was picking the team, and I am not saying this as a Habs fan but as a fan of Team Canada, PK would be a lock.

• on2ndthought says:

+76

“a cannonading drive”

• Lafleurguy says:

Every other national team would love to have Subbie playing for them, but entitlement-thinking (i.e., We’re Canada, and nobody else has our drive and desire) reigns. Four strong teams and Finland knocking on the door for inclusion among the Elite, means our chances are 1-in-5 at best. If they put a half-speed Stamkos on the team, and leave Subbie off, the odds immediately become longer.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Eddie says:

I love the way Team Canada and Bob Mckenzie have decided tat Pietrangelo is definitely top 6 but Subban was “never” considered top 6.

What’s a nice way of saying Go Buck Yourselves to these dufusses?

• The_Truth says:

Pietrangelo is a 5th or 6th guy and PK probably a 7th or 8th. In reality, looking at their games, I don’t see that as an obvious oversight. AP is a seriously good young Dman, who does it all.

• Phil C says:

I wonder if Therrien was on the selection committee instead of Hitchcock if that would be the case?

• Eddie says:

Right on Phil. The politics of Team Canada are horrendous.

Like Mike Mathesson left off the U20 team even though he would have been outstanding. Here’s a young man drafted 1st round but goes the NCAA route so he gets shunned by Team Canada. Putting up big numbers on Boston College back end playing against 23 and 24 year old men.

Canada is the best country in the world!

Team Canada is becoming a freakin political circus.

• Lafleurguy says:

You got it right, ed. Equally mind-numbing is wishfully thinking Stamkos can perform anywhere near his usual level of play.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• CJ says:

Crazy as it sounds, I firmly believe the media has a significant influence on today’s game. Everything is immediately dissected at real time. Mckenzie and company influence disciplinary issues, and also help to influence the selection of team Canada. As much respect as I have for Yzerman and counsel, I don’t feel for a second that they are beyond reproach. Nobody wants to be second guessed, so they will cave to the masses. The greatest shock so far was not Bobby Ryan, but the failure to select Ben Bishop who is so much further head of Jimmy Howard it’s not even funny. Burke however, being the lightning rod he is, drew all the criticism, conveniently.

Maybe I am a conspiracy theorist after all.

• CJ says:

I guess that’s a long winded way of saying PK will be on the team. Sorry, I know I can be verbose. Character flaw I guess…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yeah, CJ. You really need to learn to edit and compress like all the rest of us.

• PeterD says:

Agreed the big ice Euro game is very different thsn the smaller NHL rinks.

36. on2ndthought says:

My Team Canada: G: Price, Lou, Crawford (he’ll be healthy)
    D: Doughty, Keth, Letang, Subban, Weber, Bouwmeester, Boyle, Pietrangelo
    Forwards:
    Eberle-Crosby-Duchene
    Stamkos- Getzlaf- Hall
    Giroux- Tavares- Toews
    Sharp-Bergeron- St-Louis (or Marchand)
    Perry and Couture
    Of course health of players will determine much, I’m still waiting for signs that time is catching up with St-Louis
    Too slow for my team? Lucic, Carter, Kunitz, Richards, Staals! Thornton!

“a cannonading drive”

• on2ndthought says:

BTW: the D are in order of selection, not in pairs. PK any lower than 5th is laughable.

“a cannonading drive”

• The_Truth says:

I would never have Eberle and Hall over Perry and Couture. I put Kunitz, E. Staal and Benn above those guys as well. I would have to have Thorton on that team too.

No way for Letang. Great PP guy and skilled skater, but not defensively reliable enough and not a 6-7th kind of dman.

I agree with St-Louis. He is a must IMO.

• on2ndthought says:

speed and youth, and Eberle has already scored an iconic goal or two for team canada

“a cannonading drive”

• on2ndthought says:

love Thornton, but theses games will be windsprints compared to the bulldozer quality of NHL hockey. My team wins, yours doesn’t (OK, that’s an opinion, it’s just not humble ;) )

Letang is a gamble, but the talent / compete level there is second to none… so he’s there. Benn is intriguing, don’t see much of him.

“a cannonading drive”

37. DipsyDoodler says:

Speaking of Mars, if its warmer than Winnipeg maybe Elon Musk is on to something.

Did you know that if you invested in Tesla Motors at this time last year your investment would have … quintupled!

His new venture, SpaceX, which aims to colonize Mars, is not yet publicly traded but when it is I’m all over it.

38. GL says:

Hope Briere is hot tonight or The panthers may have a surprise!!

39. habcertain says:

PK will reign supreme

Price and PK will be a large part of this team on the big ice surface they will excel!! PK will skate circles around them, just like he did for 4 years here in Belleville. Only large ice surface in the CHL.!

41. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Price and Subban will not start for Canada. When Luongo eventually chokes and the PP sucks…they will.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Excellent call, my tranquilising friend.
      This scenario is beautifully easy to imagine.

• The_Truth says:

I think Subban will make it, but doubt he will get much playing time. At this point he isn’t a shut down reliable defenceman over some of those other guys and they have plenty of PP pointmen to fill the role, starting with Keith and Weber. Then Doughty and whoever.

Luongo will and should start, but if he falters Price could get a chance.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

None of them shoot the puck like PK…none of them.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I would say none of them can move it like he can either.

It is amazing how terrible players like Shea Weber and Doughty have become since the emergence of PK. It’s like no other defencemen in this league even can skate backwards compared to PK.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Now, now!
            Allow us wear our flanelle-tinted glasses!

PK is probably the most dynamic defensemen in the NHL, but it seems that many Hab fans have already annointed him the all around best defencemen in the NHL. I love the guy, I want him to make the team and I hope he helps them win gold. But I still see merits in the other top Canadian born Defencemen which our team will ice.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Weber had a couple of really bad giveaways when we played the Preds.

He’s a horrible -13 this year.

His advanced stats also don’t look very good:

• The_Truth says:

I gather you have never seen Weber shoot the puck. PK is a great player, but I ca understand what Yzerman and the gang are thinking. If PK doesn’t play on the PP, then is he an effective choice for the team?

I would say yes, he should be one of the final 2 picks and I would be quite surprised if he wasn’t, but I can understand their point about his defensive game.

42. on2ndthought says:

Sorry 24cups (hope you have to change that handle soon), I wasn’t clear about ‘lose the room’. Normally it applies to a coach the players have ‘tuned out’. I just meant he wasn’t ‘strict’ enough with players like Ribeiro (even AK47 as he made his way into the team). I think there were others but my grey cells are getting grey. I remember thinking how our game plan was almost always better than our opponent and knew we’d miss him when he left. If we had an assistant like Burns or Therrien to ‘bring up the boys right’ we might have been more succesful.
    I see the same thing happened in Boston with Seguin; just a kid that needs some reigning in (MT character development plan); but a talent that is squandered for that organization (thank god from an agnostic ;) BTW, I think it was Bishop Pawley who said “I don’t have a problem with atheists; they are after all, believers like me”)
    Bowman wasn’t liked by all while he coached here, but he had buttons on all his players. Juliens weakness is his inability to find the right buttons for certain, usually young and talented, guys.

“a cannonading drive”

43. PeterD says:

Getting sick of all the media hype and invented controversy about Subban and Team Canada.
    I can’t remember anyone directly associated with Team Canada selection ever commenting on PK.
    The only ones commenting on PK and his “bubbleness” are media types selling add space with their commentary or fand that read controversy into everything…conspiracies everywhere.

I reall don’t care anymore.
    All I know if PK and Price are playing for Team Canada, I’m cheering for the Team.
    If they are not playing…then, meh…I don’t care and won’t waste my time cheering for a team selected with by such stupid and obviously ignorant executives.

In my opinion and I think it should be obvious by now that PK should be a lock for the team.
    Enough said.

Petr Nedved was selected to the Czech team? THE Petr Nedved? Isn’t he like 60 years old now?

45. Habfan17 says:

So what would you think of Ryan O and Erik J for Beaulieu, LeBlanc, Gorges and Diaz?
    Habfan17

46. Sportfan says:

“This pains me deeply because a day without the wisdom of Timo is like a day without sunshine.”

LOL Timo will find a way to be back!!!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

I have the answer! To why Canada and the USA have fallen behind in the world hockey scene.

European hockey is by far and away ahead of the foolish football and undisciplined style of so called hockey, now being played in N.America.

More and more smart Canadian & USA hockey players are jumping ship to go to Europe, where skill finesse and skating style of hockey is being played.
    Instead of playing here and losing their brain cells with the refereeing and rules that are in place here now.! Many players have told me how much better and more fun to play the game on the bigger ice surface and under better rule management.
    We are losing our game here to the meat heads that run hockey in N. America now.!!
    Registration of kids playing hockey now in Canada is down 43% from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Mothers are choosing soccer over hockey for the safety of their kids. European hockey registration is booming!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I agree but won’t engage. You saw what happened last time, and DDO doesn’t seem to be here with his calming influence and good advice!

• Habfan17 says:

Yes too many fans in North America would prefer to watch fights and endless cycling and scrums along the boards over skill, and big saves!

Habfan17

• Loop_Garoo says:

The head injury issue is a very big one. I have talked with several families in the last few days that say they will not likely put their kids in hockey due to this problem. Also, cost is becoming a problem as well. I am an account executive with an insurance company, a good professional job, I have no kids, but if I did, they would not be in hockey just due to cost. They can play two other sports, take piano lessons, and go to Disney world for the price of hockey.

Greg

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Precisely. As soon as 10 years from now the well will be beginning to look a bit low, by which time the current NHL suits will be living off their profits in Bermuda and not giving a tinker’s f for the state of hockey, professional and amateur.

(Gees, hurry up and log on, DDO!)

• DipsyDoodler says:

Disney will rot their brains worse than any concussion.

• Ktowner says:

Sorry Loop but I can’t agree with you. My son finished minor hockey a few years ago, (AAA mostly) followed by three years of junior and a bit in the CIS. He was (and still is) a multi-sport athlete (often to the chagrin of his hockey coaches) but the benefit to his well being can’t be measured by how much we spent to keep him in all the sports he played. You can pay for sports or pay for lawyers and fines when a kid gets arrested after falling in with the wrong crowd because he doesn’t have a sense of direction. This is what high level sport gives to many participants.
        Anyway, I hope the drop in minor hockey registration corrects itself and more kids get to enjoy the wonderful experience that hockey brings.

• 1010 says:

As someone who has been involved in coaching hockey for the last ten years I can tell you that the problems with hockey enrollment will continue Ian. People talk about cost and part of that is that they are taking the game right out of the small towns. Double A teams can now take local kids whereas before it was just triple A. All rep hockey is moving to the bigger centres making it harder for small town kids who might develop a little later. As John McLean said to me at a local hockey school 3 or 4 years ago,“I made the NHL and I never played triple A“.
      We all knew that hitting in pee wee was too young an age but they kept it as long as they did because some idiot lied and said that a study proved there was less injuries in games where hitting was allowed. And why, why, why does hitting start in a two-year age group. This is another thing killing small town hockey. Kids that are born late in the year can be half the size of kids who are two years earlier. Especially if the younger kid is born late in the year and the older is born early in the year. This is scary for any parent at the bantam age level. But they won`t change it because they have minor and major levels in the bigger centres and, again, who cares about small town hockey for people who might have to travel an hour or more just for a practice. It`s a joke. The grass roots are dying and it will eventually start to show if it hasn`t already.

• SmartDog says:

This is what I was thinking. Canada’s thugish style of play is getting penalized. They used to be able to push other teams around but now those other teams are bigger, and more disciplined. Canada is not able to have their way – and in fact ‘their way’ is landing them in the penalty box.

I think we have the skill. It’s just not a skill game we are playing.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• wjc says:

They lose one year and they are falling behind?

No injuries or hitting in Euopeon hockey?

Name the players that have told you they are playing in Europe and are good enough for the NHL.

Births are down, schools are being close because of lack of students.

Hockey is expensive to play and soccer relatively cheap by conparison.

Of course it is down from the 60’s and 70’s….life was simpler then, no social network, internet, video games, there are too many distractions now. Back then winters alllowed back yard rinks, community rinks, road hockey was played all the time. Winters are now hit and miss, you get a cold spell, then it gets mild and freezing rain and another warm spell makes it impossible to maintain an outdoor rink.

Yes, I am sure these potential NHL’ers are telling you they would rather go to Europe and play. Name them! Were they good enough to play and make the big money being thrown around.

wjc

• 1010 says:

If you are asking me what I mean by they lose a year what I mean is you start hitting at a level where everybody is the same age. You can have a 2 year midget level (instead of the current 3) and keep tacking it on till you catch up. You won`t lose a year. Just have contact hockey start in a year where everybody is closer in age. Believe me this is a problem in the small centres. I realize the population has changed – long live the baby boomers- but they are making it an elitist sport.

48. Thomas Le Fan says:

I do not believe race is in question when it comes to PK and Sochi. Conspiracies are silly. But here’s a new one. Maybe he’s gay and they’re worried about the Russian legal system? Truth is, Canada has an abundance of talent at all positions and Subban has the rep of perhaps not being a team player. I think it’s nonsense but the NHL “brain thrust” is nothing if not headsupbuttish so there you go.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

49. Danno says:

For a moment there I thought I forgot to tape last night’s Downton Abbey for Mrs. Danno.

Now THAT would have been a drama…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Polar Vortexes, Frost Quakes and a windchill of -40 tomorrow morning. I’ve – – – – – – – had it with winter. I’m going to skip the Hab game tonight and watch the Golf Channel instead.

Habfan10912 posted this earlier, didn’t see much discussion about it. Do you think Colon and Murph just called PK to apologize for the refs call?

Chantal Machabee ‏@ChantalMachabee 2h
    PK Subban had a phone conversation with Mike Murphy and Colin Campbell regarding his comments on the official’s work after saturday’s game

52. Maritime Ronn says:

Looking at the poll question, the Habs would have to have a complete meltdown – or God forbid, a Subban-Price long term injury, not to qualify for the playoffs.

The current pace in the West is 98 points
    The current pace in the East is only 90 points.

That means the Habs need 37 points in their final 39 games.
    A record something like of 16-18-5 is good enough.

About Carey and an injury, was anyone at the practise yesterday?

Some info out there that during the 1-on-1 skills against the goalies, the guys were making all kinds of moves and plays against Budaj….yet when it came to Price, the players were shooting from longer range, and not 1 guy tried a deke on Carey.

Is that last playoff groin issue re-emerging?

53. John Q Public says:

❤ ♥ ❤ Habs

❤ ♥ ❤Refs

54. Habfan17 says:

The site won’t let you posy any trade suggestions involving Colorado, I wonder why?

Habfan17

55. Steven says:

In regards to what adadi said earlier, I never understood removing Briere from the Pleks line. When he was there earlier, the whole line was producing(despite being probably the smallest FW line in the league).

I didn’t see the Sens game, but apparently he played on that line and was good there again. Clearly, that’s a line that works better than, say, Bourque-Pleks-Gio, so just leave it alone.

Also, kind of contradictory to my “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” perspective from above, I’d like to see Bourque as the RW on the DD line, with Gallagher rejoining Eller. That way you get one line back that worked well as long as it was together, and you get one line that, with any luck, will work as well as Pac – DD – Cole did. It does kind of make you worry that Gallagher was the one driving that line and that our best goal scorer could go into a funk without him, but I don’t see this combo being a bad idea if tried for a few shifts.

56. Greg says:

It’s been awhile, but I would like to reiterate my burning desire for a HockeyInsideOut android app.

Burning.

• chanchilla says:

the iphone app isn’t that great, the comments are in order of time, not by the original comment, so it’s pretty hard to follow anyways. It’s probably a lot easier to just view the website on your mobile browser

57. durocher says:

Pitt is apparently willing to shop young D Simon Despres — a 6’4″ blueliner who can play well on both ends of the ice, will be a top 4 D-man, and, oh yeah, he’s a homeboy. I’d give up Gio and Leblanc for him.

I am wondering, who did the Gazette contract to do their app development… CGI?

59. Eddie says:

Any team with Subban and Price playing at the top of their games is absolutely going to make the playoffs. If you added this years Subban and Price to the Sabres they would challenge for a playoff spot immediately.

We’re talking about top 5 in the league goalie and defenceman.

• rhino514 says:

Price has been playing well, but he´s not top five in the league yet in my book. He would have to have two good years in a row for me to consider him an elite goalie. Hasn´t done that up to now.
      His stats have also taken quite a dip over the last few games. Still seems to me he plays well when the team in front of him cuts down scoring chances, when they don´t, he suffers. Not different than most goalies in the league, but not elite.

• The_Truth says:

Buffalo would certainly not challenge for the Playoffs with Subban and Price.

Miller is just as good as Price and Subban can only do so much. I would put them the same place they are now.

60. DipsyDoodler says:

To answer DunboyneMike from earlier today, what you describe as agnostic (“”Dunno, but I guess I’ll find out when I die”) is really that old category “Spiritual but not Religious”.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Disagree!
      S but not R is a different category.
      Your “Dunno” etc is a valid characterisation of agnosticism, and therefore a long way away from atheism.
      (Eventually everyone will join in here and forget about the Panthers game).

61. Habilis says:

“Bob Mckenzie: “I don’t believe anybody in the Canada brass at any point ever had PK Subban in their top 6″

I can’t even.

62. JF says:

This had better be a victory tonight, otherwise we could finish the week with 0 out of 6 points.

I read today the Claude Julien coached his 500th game for the Bruins on Saturday. His record in Beantown is 284-158-58. Montreal has gone through six coaches since Julien left. Makes you wonder.

• Habfan17 says:

The previous management regimes pulled the plug on coaches too soon. Vigneault wasn’t so bad either

Habfan17

• on2ndthought says:

lost the room here – too nice. still has issues with that in Beantown (see: Tyler Seguin). good Xs and Os guy, though.

“a cannonading drive”

• 24 Cups says:

Julien didn’t lose the room over Seguin. Seguin was never in the room. All the other players were on board. If Seguin or Jagr score a few goals in the playoffs the Bruins win the Cup.

I find “losing the room” an interesting concept. I wonder if Trotz or Babcock have ever lost the room at any given point in time during the past ten years. Can you lose the room and then get it back again? Is it ever the players fault? And if so, can a GM fix the problem in any other way besides firing a coach who may be quite capable?

• rhino514 says:

He was one playoff game loss away from neing canned by the bruins. He caught a break and is now considered a winner and so will keep piling up wins on a competitive team for a long time, because he has the street cred of having won a Cup. But he was one loss away from being considered a guy who can´t win.
      Sometimes one big win can change the course of a career,

I voted “uncertain” on the poll question. Past NHL history, Vegas odds and three point games all point to the Habs making the playoffs. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that the team keeps losing to lesser lights. That is a major concern seeing Montreal’s schedule after the Olympic break is really ugly. It’s strictly uphill after Feb 8th.

• DipsyDoodler says:

You should have voted ‘no’ in that case.

‘Uncertain’ according to the way the poll was written (poorly – good old Gazoo), means you don’t know how confident you are, which is like saying “I don’t know how hungry I am.”

65. stevieray says:

Gomez strutting his stuff tonite …:)

66. adadi says:

Anybody care to wage odds that the brilliant coach Therrien will not reuse Briere with Pleks and Gionta?

67. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Are you confident the Habs will make the playoffs?

Uncertain = not confident
    No = not confident

Right?

68. on2ndthought says:

Not sure Neal is up to the pace on the large ice; Dupuis might make Sid feel comfortable. I hope we go all young and speedy leaving Nash and Thornton here (hate saying it, but I’m saying it).

“a cannonading drive”

69. The Jackal says:

Hoping Neal makes Team Canada, he’s a beast and has a great shot.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Worthy player skill-wise and in terms of competitiveness, but for me it’s too soon after his knee-shot on Marchand’s head to want to see him wearing the flag. I know, I’m a bit precious that way.

• 24 Cups says:

There will be a lot of disappointed players tomorrow. I think it’s fair to say that at least 8 players are legit candidates for the last two forward spots. I would really be surprised if Neal makes it.

I wonder if TC should rethink going with players such as Nash, Staal and Thornton. Maybe youth needs to be served.

As for the 3rd goalie, shouldn’t they maybe consider going with a young guy (instead of Smith) so that he gets exposure to the Olympic experience. It’s not like the 3rd guy is ever going to play.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s at moments like these — and also at the final siren of elimination games — that the whole notion that pro hockey players are only in it for the money is exposed as oversimplified falsehood.

• The_Truth says:

Bernier is playing great in his first full season, but the brass probably will take the safe route

70. gumper says:

Poll question needs to be refined, unless we’re trying to find out the percentage of people who are uncertain whether they’re confident or not about the Habs making the dance. By asking, “Will the Canadiens make the playoffs this year.”. all three categories of response become valid.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

71. Chuck says:

I’m on Android and haven’t been able to access comments on my phone for ages. And all along I thought that it was because Boone didn’t like me, so I didn’t bother making a stink about it. But as it turns out, it’s Timo who Boone hates, so now I’m speaking up! Fix the comments!

72. Danno says:

Ain’t no sunshine when Timo’s gone…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

73. Ozmodiar says:

Let’s Go Florida
    State!!

74. on2ndthought says:

Mods, you should probably post this link at the top of each new thread. ;)

“a cannonading drive”

75. Rugger says:

First? Haven’t been here in a long time!

76. Lafleurguy says:

You can easily transfer pictures to a PC with Galaxy.

“May you live in interesting times.”

My wife’s cell phone contract with Rogers needed to be renewed and she was able to upgrade to the Apple iphone5C for free (based on a new two year contract).

She loved her Samsung Galaxy but thinks the 5C is better. FWIW.

78. Doooie86 says:

BlackBerry Z10, Z30 or Q10… seriously – go to a store, take some time to test them all out, but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by BB’s latest offerings

79. adadi says:

Depends on if you want a phone or if you want a toy. If you want a toy go with the galaxy, else go with iPhone or BB.

80. PeterD says:

I really love my Samsung Note 2…great screen size for all thing online…including HIO.

Galaxies turn me off because they are so damn huge. Might as well carry a table in my pocket.

82. ari says:

check nexus 5 too.for adobe flash player is much better choice

83. I adore my GS4. The two phones are mostly comparable, but there are a few clinchers for the GS4 IMO:

– You can swap batteries in and out so you can carry a spare, or just buy a new one when your phone can’t hold a charge instead of scrapping the whole phone.

– You can add/remove mini SD cards, adding as much extra memory as you like.

– You can use the Swype keyboard, which allows you to swipe your finger from key to key instead of having to tap each letter individually. Doesn’t sound like a huge time-saver, but trust me, it is.

– You can use lots of apps that the iPhone won’t allow — like the very nifty AirDroid, which allows you to see and send text messages from your PC’s keyboard.

They’re both great phones, but if you like the ability to customize things a little, for my money it’s gotta be an Android phone.

Hope that helps!

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

84. CJ says:

Best phone I’ve ever used is still the blackberry bold 9900. Easiest to use, best battery life, keyboard, etc. my two cents only.

85. Danno says:

I don’t know how many times I’ve been asked…

Is that a Galaxy in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

That might impress your massage therapist?

87. FormalWare says:

I have the Galaxy S4 mini. All the power of the S4 – simply smaller. I really like it!

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

88. Lafleurguy says:

There is a punch-line: Gruesome…….grew some more.

“May you live in interesting times.”

89. CJ says:

I honestly think he’s been hurt. Not the same player these past few weeks.

90. boonie says:

Then trade him at the deadline or the draft. He’s worth something.

91. JohninTruro says:

Boone is totally a hottie.

92. Mike Boone says:

I’m hanging them up right now because I respect your opinion that much.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

93. Adidess says:

Be a little more indulgent. It might seem like that’s what Boone is saying, but that is clearly not what he means. To me, just a case of trying to make two points at once on a blog where he does not have the time or luxury to fully elaborate. Chill!

94. Mike Boone says:

Ooh, I’m so hurt!

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

95. frontenac1 says:

I like Bob Cole. Boone”s ok too.

96. dr. gesundheit says:

The bailout twins…GM and Chrysler.

97. frontenac1 says:

Harper too. Then they shifted jobs down to the U.S.

98. Mike Boone says:

So don’t read it. But don’t be trashing me on my own blog.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

99. twilighthours says:

Ha ha! Awesome!

100. kalevine says:

wow I suppose it shouldn’t surprise me that you wear skates while you blog Habs games :)

101. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The hissing tires of a Ram parked in Park Ex.

102. APPLAUSE MIKE, you just won yourself another drink at the 2014 Summit…..Gerald pay up! :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

103. habstrinifan says:

Way to Man-up Ram_Tough. I am sure Boone will agree…when he comes back from the fridge.

104. Plekasuares says:

Umm they only played Clemson and the ACC and they smashed them. I hope I am talking to someone who knows what the ACC is….and not just watching because its the final game. Heck, im a syracuse fan

They had a barn burner with Bethune Cookman.

106. Plekasuares says:

Ok :). But they crushed EVERYONE. Where did you play? The ACC is no bad conference dude

107. Storman says:

Clemson was pretty damn good and they destroyed them.

108. Sportfan says:

Did you actually?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

109. CJ says:

Where did you play? I probably know of you. I’ve watched lots from the comfort of the basement.

110. Plekasuares says:

Ya. EXACTLY!!!!

True, but the SEC is still the class of College Football, by far.

112. Plekasuares says:

Not by much. I HATE the SEC. Pac 12 and ACC are on the rise

Hate the SEC all you want, but it is the Football conference in America.

114. Plekasuares says:

It is the best. You are correct. Would like to see another conference win

115. Plekasuares says:

Clemson was #2 when FSU BEAT THEM..

116. Storman says:

Tigers lucked out against both Alabama and especially Georgia, that was the luckiest win of all time, Hail Mary with a another hail mary on top.

117. CJ says:

Their not choking. Just playing a better team. No surprise here whatsoever.

118. CJ says:

21 on the board now!

119. Plekasuares says:

CUSE CUSE CUSE! You should be supporting the ACC

120. CJ says:

One of the doctors my mom works with has season tickets. The carrier dome is pretty cool, although the basketball is much better then football.

121. Plekasuares says:

Why you like Auburn? Just answer the question man

122. CJ says:

You played at Miami?

123. Plekasuares says:

Yep! Football is growing some great recruits coming in!!!

As great a college athlete as there was in the last 30 years.

125. Chuck says:

Oh, I’m pretty sure he can handle it.

126. Storman says:

Jadeveon Clowney, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football

127. danhabsfan says:

Clara Hughes

128. ABHabsfan says:

BoNo question

Question will be if Ram can afford it, Boone likes his Single Malts!

130. CJ says:

Auburn Georgia was probably the best game I’ve seen since Nebraska Missouri in the late 90’s.

131. ABHabsfan says:

There was meant to be a space after “Bo”

132. Plekasuares says:

:) about time huh

133. CJ says:

Just terrific. Did you catch the ESPN 30/30 special on Bo?

134. Samovich says:

on the pass or attempted recovery?

135. CJ says:

I loved listening to Buck O’Neill talk about Bo. Said he saw the Babe, Josh Gibson and Bo Jackson live. Rated them as the top three all time.

Yes, was very good.

137. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Especially with Murray. I closed my eyes whenever they were on in the 3rd period

138. Plekasuares says:

There from the b1g. Explain the missed facemask call. No PI call in 1st quarter. ..HERE COMES THE NOLES

139. Plekasuares says: