Liveblog: Game 41 – Canadiens blow 3-0 lead, lose 5-4 in OT

PriceCarolina

Horrible, brutal and disgusting

The Canadiens blew a 3-0 lead and lost 5-4 to Carolina on Alexander Semin's overtime goal.

Lars Eller with his ninth and Max Pacioretty with his 16th and 17th goals of the season put the Canadiens comfortably in front through 40 minutes.

A third-period explosion saw Carolina tie the game with three in in less than three minutes.

Two by Jeff Skinner and another by Eric Staal.

Then Manny Malhotra gave Carolina a lead before P.K. Subban tied it up on a Canadiens power play.

Alexander Semin won it in overtime with his ninth shot of the game.

Carolina outshot the Canadiens 42-25.

Just brutal.

Semin wins it

Carolina's 42nd shot beats Carey Price.

The team that deserved to won was the winner.

Total collapse

The Canadiens 3-0 lead was erased in less than three minutes.

Jeff Skinner twice, on Carolina power plays, and Eric Staal made it 3-3.

Manny Malhotra gave the home team a 4-3 lead before P.K. Subban tied it up on a PP.

Shots were 15-7.

Brutal.

PK shines

The Canadiens killed off a 5-on-3 disadvantage.

They went eight minutes without a shot and ended up with five during the period, while Carolina had 15.

But the PK and Carey Price hung tough, and Max Pacioretty's 17th of the season was the only goal of the period.

Carolina's PP is 0-for-8.

Offensive explosion

It took only 80 seconds for Lars Eller to get the Canadiens on the board, off a good forecheck and pass by Alex Galchenyuk.

Then the power play – 0-for-12 on the road trip – produced Max Pacioretty's 16th of the season, a redirection of a David Desharnais feed.

At that point, the Canadiens had outshot Carolina 6-1.

A few power plays, including a brief 5-on-3, got the home team back on track; and the final shot margin was 11-10 for the Canadiens.

The second period will begin with Josh Gorges in the penalty box.

Bye-bye, 2013

Your Montreal Canadiens end the calendar year in Raleigh, N.C., where they'll play the fifth game of the season's longest road trip.

The Carolina Hurricanes, coached by CH alumnus Kirk Muller, are seventh in the Metropolitan Division and seventh in the battle for Eastern Conference wild-card playoff spots.

The Canadiens are coming off a dispiriting 4-1 loss to the lowly Florida Panthers.

Carolina played in Toronto Sunday night, outshot the home team 43-27 but still contrived to lose 5-2.

1,095 Comments

1. slapshot777 says:

Great goal boys keep it rolling. Kept it up Max

2. danhabsfan says:

Wait a moment… Was that a nice pass by DD? Nice play

3. DipsyDoodler says:

I’ve always disliked Eric Staal.

4. Cdnman1 says:

He slashed the stick and it broke. They call that every time.

5. Plekasuares says:

Hands of moen! Oh wait a penalty! Thats so soft

6. John Q Public says:

Fixed, no doubt.

7. Danno says:

Should be a penalty shot for Moen… Oh wait…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

8. Davey93 says:

Emelin should be on the pp instead of Bouillon.

9. Storman says:

2 minutes for defensive puck separation check, which you have been coached to do your whole playing career

10. slapshot777 says:

That is not a tripping penalty on Eller. Sorry but if that is a trip then they better be calling a lot of trips tonight.

11. Plekasuares says:

Wtf? Hows that a trip

12. CJ says:

Greetings from the upper Ottawa valley. Just arrived at the cottage and enjoying a New Year’s Eve fondu. Eller, yes sir! Keep it rolling boys! Happy New Year everyone

13. jols101 says:

Only Therrien…

14. Davey93 says:

Great goal by Eller. I hope him and Chucky get a lot of ice time

15. Danno says:

Pierre Houde has a Freudian slip and calls Price “Roy”

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

16. Strummer says:

Pricer trying to even the score

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

17. habstrinifan says:

1 on the board… 4 more to go.

18. Strummer says:

Cap’n Kirk- miss ya buddy! Class act.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

19. Plekasuares says:

A goal. Whats that?

20. Adidess says:

Chucky and Eller – more of that please. Heady from Galchenyuk!

21. Danno says:

THAT’S what I’m talking about!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

22. Strummer says:

Lar Seller!
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

23. slapshot777 says:

Way to go Eller !!!!!!

24. Sportfan says:

Finally it feels like its been forever since he last scored!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

25. Sportfan says:

They couldn’t find anyone better than Ryan Seacrest -_-

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. Habilis says:

New Year’s Eve Drinking Game:
    -Every time Pierre Houde says “Tir-Passe”, take a drink.
    -Every time you see Therrien on the bench looking confused, take a drink.
    -Every time Gallagher goes to the net, take a drink.

Anyone who makes it past the first period, wins.

27. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey all!

It just turned 2014 5 hours ahead of Montreal and Raleigh here in GMT Ireland!

All the very best to one and all!

GO HABS GO!!!

28. Phil C says:

My two cents on Therrien is that he is an astute coach for defensive play but has no clue about attacking and offense. The Habs are 3rd in goals against and 22nd in goals for as evidence of this. Perhaps they just need to tweak who makes the calls offensively among the coaching staff to help get more out of this line up because they are definitely under-achieving offensively. I don’t think that is on the players, especially given how many good puck movers they have on D, they have it within this group to score more.

29. Storman says:

Yakupov a scratch, Briere a scratch could it be a,, nah ,, I think it would take a lot more than Briere to make me Yakupov

30. Haberoooo13 says:

I am glass half full guy…dammit where’s my glass???
    MT did the right thing to have the Habs play a more defensive game earlier this year when we had the injuries but now with a healthy team…Let em play hockey now!!!

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

31. The Jackal says:

Go Habs go!!!!

Fortunately there is a Criminal Minds marathon in case the game is boring, but I’d bet that we score a few goals tonight and finish the year on a high note.

Happy New Year’s Eve to you all!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

32. SmartDog says:

Boone says that Houde says that changing the Habs culture was a key part of Bergevin’s goal.

I wish I could understand how he’s going about that. And how bringing in Therrien and Briere are part of a positive culture change.
    I wonder if he came up with “no excuses”. Brilliant.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• slapshot777 says:

What culture is he trying to change on the Habs. Is it going from mediocre to totally boring, because if that was what they were aiming for then they have succeeded

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

What boggles my mind with MB is the great moves followed by crap moves. For example, the brilliant dump of Cole followed by the incomprehensible signings of DD and Briere. He even openly said the Habs needed to get bigger. He then drafts three big guys and three small guys. He’s like Jekyll and Hyde…

33. CHasman says:

If Phaneuf gets 49million for seven years what does a young up and coming Norris trophy winner get?

34. Storman says:

Canada’s women’s hockey team wants Team USA women’s team tested for Steroids, One of the girls apparently has hair growing on her chest, when the Team USA coach confronted her about it he asked how far does this hair patch go she says all the way down to her ba…

35. habsfan1001 says:

Congrats to Team Canada and Zach Fucale. Also impressed with Reway, Colberg and Dela Rose

36. MikeHabs says:

If you’re interested in how the Habs prospects did this past week (not just in World Juniors), here is the latest update: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/prospect-update-dec-23-29/

37. punkster says:

4th in the conference, 11th in the league.

Who do you blame?

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

38. twilighthours says:

@trini,

Not sure if you ever got my post, but I truly appreciated the story you posted on Xmas about growing up in Trinidad. That was magical. Thx for sharing.

39. AliHaba says:

Happy New Year everyone!

40. habstrinifan says:

twilighthours:DECEMBER 31, 2013 AT 6:26 PM

“I did consider that. I considered that by watchng since the 60s, you must be really old, Eddie!!”

Gives me an idea. I think we should have a special exemption for us old HIO folks. I am 66 ..

We can say anything we want cause what wehave forgotten about real HABS hockey you young snotty-nosed pups cant even contemplate.

Pass the comforter and listen up now!

41. twilighthours says:

There is the argument that you are what your record says you are, ergo therrien is a good coach because his record is great in this last calendar year.

But let’s look instead at the last 50 games or so (back to last April), still a plenty big sample size.

How good have the Habs been over that span? With the exception of 10ish games in mid-late November, the team has been average or worse. One could easily make the argument, anyway.

Maybe you’re not as good as your record.

• Habfan17 says:

Very well stated!

Habfan17

• shiram says:

They were 4-6 in the last 10 of 12/13, so 27/20/3 for 57 points, not too great.
      Hopefully they do better than 4-6 in the next 10 games.
      But I think what’s important to keep in mind are the expectations we have for the team, as of now, I’d say they are still hitting the mark, which surely warrants giving Therrien some leash.

Could another coach have this team 1st in the conference, or just get a few more wins, is it about the young players, or the boring style of play?

I do question his lines, TOI and play style sometimes, but I’m still willing to give him a chance, this is his first full season with this team.
      I also wonder about his assistants and their inputs, we never hear anything about them.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Exactly…looks like one guy who has not started drinking yet…

42. Cal says:

Happy New Year, HIO.
    Let us all hope it ends on a positive note.

43. The Jackal says:

The criticism I can agree the most with about MT is that he should use Galchenyuk more. I think that in time, Chucky will most definitely get more ice time and move to centre, the question is when? I’m fine with the patient approach but it wouldn’t hurt to give him 20 mins for a few games and see how he does.

Either way, this team has some considerable holes that won’t be fixed by making a few changes to ice-time distributions and player combinations. MT mixes it up a bit to see what works, the roster is not the same as last year and it’s not as if a coach has to stick to one approach, there is plenty of time to see what works and which players can best help the team in certain situations.

Briere in, Bournival out, or vice versa – how much impact does that really have in our goal scoring? Swapping a proven scorer for a promising rookie may provide a small boost, but that doesn’t magically turn other players into snipers or power forwards – we need one of each, and no matter what lines we propose MT use, those players are still missing.

Likewise, no matter who we pair with who on D, we are still missing one more top pairing guy.

Anyone coaching this team would have to work with this roster, it’s quite a stretch to claim that someone else would automatically do a better job or even to say that giving a player more ice-time is the solution to our scoring woes. The solution to the team’s problems go way beyond coaching, the problems are rooted in the makeup of the roster rather than the coaching staff’s decisions.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habfan17 says:

Actually, the roster pretty much is the same as last year. I agree with some of your points, I do think he should be using the same system as last season and that, like other teams, let the kids play a more significant role as they prove they can. Bournival proved he could play with Pleks and Gionta on the 2nd line, and the kid line, Gally, Eller and Gallagher proved they could more than hold their own as a 3rd line.

I agree, they need another top 4 right handed d-man.

Habfan17

• rljmartin says:

Agree, this roster can be used way more effectively. Sit who has to sit and forget about their contract. As for the system, this is where I have a big bone to pick with MT, the one MT is using guarantees a lot of D-zone time…. not good.

• twilighthours says:

So it seems like one is a blamed of

A) Bergevin (or previous GM) for a crap roster
      B) therrien for poor coaching
      C) the players for being suck
      D) some combination thereof.

And you’re in the A camp. That’s cool. I’m not sure where I fit yet.

• twilighthours says:

…one is placing blame with…

Damn edit

• The Jackal says:

I’m not blaming MB.
        I think MT can certainly be fairly criticized, and so can MB, but the problems that concern the posters here are, IMO, stemming from the composition of the roster, way more so than management.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• twilighthours says:

So what ails the team? Cause it ain’t all sunshine and lollipops

• The Jackal says:

Well I’m not gonna pretend to know the answer, but just from what I have seen, I would say the biggest problem is that we have some significant holes in our roster that prevent us from getting to the next level, and which also render us at times incapable of being very effective 5 on 5.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habfan17 says:

My comment above was in response to The Jackal

Habfan17

• Cal says:

It’s been looking like the wrong system for the players the Habs have. They don’t have the size to be a “grinding team” and the coach is being willfully blind when it comes to this. With 4 of the top 9 undersized, the coach should want a speed and finesse game mixed in with a banging 4th line. Instead, the fans get to watch them throw away the effing puck all night.

• rljmartin says:

CAL…. Right on! Been my point for some time now….

• Habfan17 says:

That I will agree with 100% and I think MB, in a relatively short time, has done well to start addressing that issue.

Habfan17

• aroma says:

I’d like to see two potent top lines rather than spreading the offensive talent over three. Has Pacioretty ever been tried on the Plekanec line? That is, over a reasonable period of time to allow chemistry to develop? I wish the coach would give that a try. “EGG” line reunited. Third line of Bournival / DD / Briere or Bourque. And if the third line stinks, give more ice to the fourth at their expense. Make sense to anyone?

44. Plekasuares says:

Idk why everyone says Galchenyuk needs more ice time. He’s good ya sure but he is no Crosby and he never will be. Giving Galchenyuk more PP ain’t going to fix this team.

45. Eddie says:

Here’s something to consider. I have been watching the Habs since the 60′s and I have NEVER heard the coach describe the team as “pluggers”, nor have I ever heard a coach or a GM acknowledge publicly that we are incapable of competing against the leagues powerhouses.

Never in more than 40 forty years.

• Habfan17 says:

I must have missed that!

Habfan17

• habstrinifan says:

He did say as much. And there is a ch episode in a Boston game… awww forget it….. let’s have a drink.

• Habfan17 says:

Good idea! I will toast to your health!

Habfan17

• The Jackal says:

The Boston game we won by out-working the Bruins?
          If that is what pluggers mean, then I’ll take it if it means beating the B’s!

Consider that tends to translate directly from French to English. Sometimes his word choices don’t translate perfectly and then people take them literally rather than considering that he may mean something slightly different. Perhaps he just means that we are a team that needs to work hard and give it 100% to win games. They need to play with intensity and grit – that’s not secret, we are small and anything less than that means we get pushed around. MT is just stating the obvious.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• formerly known as the hc says:

Not to cause trouble, but that may very well what MT meant, at least I hope. Yeah, I will drink the next one to all your health. GHG!

• twilighthours says:

Ok, I don’t know if I will be logging in again in 2013 so Happy New Year to all of you.

47. Happy New Year, everyone!

Defense wins championships

48. Nina76 says:

Nice win for the juniors……………Facale was amazing.Pierre M said to-nite on TSN that it is going to take him at least 4 years before he is ready for the NHL…..do you agree………….the juniors played a real tough game real strong hitting.I would like to see that to-nite from our guys…….we have to be more physical & show the opposition that we are there for real……………..Go Habs!!!!!!!

• SmartDog says:

In all likelihood, 3 years at the earliest, 4likely.
      I’m eager to see him in Hamilton though. I mean which is better – the US Junior team or the Bulldogs? Obviously if he can handle the international juniors he’s ready — or close to ready for Hamilton.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• formerly known as the hc says:

Big difference from Junior to the NHL. That’s why Goalies typically take much longer to develop.

49. BJ says:

Ladies & Gentlemen, wishing you all a Very Healthy and Happy New Year 2014 from Germany (glückliches neues Jahr) as the clock strikes midnight now and brings us yet to another year. Hoping the Habs can pick it up and offer a higher level of entertainment and if not the brothers and sisters of HIO certainly will continue to do so I’m sure. So I’m off to the fireworks on the bridge next street over and a toast to all of you. Prost!

50. Habfan17 says:

The Jackal asked for factual eveidence that Therrien has not been a good coach.
    1 – He has broken his own rule of no excuses
    2 – He promised a puck possession system and has renaged.
    3 – He promised ice time would be given as earned and he has renaged on this as well.

4 – The team has won in spite of him and more because the goaltenders have bailed them out.

5 – All the constant line changes. Not just game to game, but shift to shift. They had two lines going, Bournival, Pleks and Gionta. Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher. Therrien mixed them all up now none of the lines is scoring.

6 – Following the rule of insanity, he keeps throwing out the same players on the PP even though they aren’t getting it done and other players are more successful putting up points.

Last but not least.
    7 – With a fully healthy team, he won’t go back to doing what had them scoring 5 on 5 last season and made them successful.

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

Like Jacques Martin, he had “successful” regular seasons but did not know how to get the teams over the top in the playoffs!

Habfan17

• twilighthours says:

The way to defend the neutral zone, which then affects the way they defend their own end, which affects the way they beak out and attack.

A lot of things to dislike and criticize about therrien.

I’ll get in on this discussion after I put kids to bed and wax skis.

• Timo says:

8. He doesn’t have a notepad.

• The Jackal says:

All of these are very subjective criticisms. You think that these mean he is failing. You think he is making excuses. How? An explanation for why the team runs into adversity or why they lose is not an excuse, it’s is simply just stating what ails the team. Is the coach not supposed to admit that?

Mixing up the lines… every coach does this, and he is working with what he has. The problem is the roster. Our scorers are not scoring as much, we lack a sniper, we never replaced Ryder’s goals and some of our other guys are just not putting it in the net. Why aren’t we asking why Gallagher is not scoring? I’m sure we can all agree he should play many minutes, and he does, yet where are the goals? He is in the O-zone a lot.

The PP criticism – he is not throwing out the same players, he is trying to mix it up and adjust. Even using different forwards, we don’t really have a threat from the circles – our PP depends on PK and Markov. Again, the problem is a lack of a certain type of player more than a coaching issue.

As for not going back to last season’s system… do you remember what happened to that system? It was countered near the end of the season. Teams know how to shut us down because it is particularly easy. We can speed through the neutral zone all we want but we don’t have players that gain the zone and actually establish a dangerous forecheck. We have no net presence, no cycle game. Again, this is a roster issue.

And to say the team has won in spite of him is a bit ridiculous. Last season, we won a lot of games before teams learned how to shut down our offence – that was MT’s system at work that got those players scoring. This year, we’ve been a lot better defensively. The PK has improved dramatically, and if you don’t remember, the PP last year was atrocious – it too is better this year. The problem is 5 on 5 scoring – which has been a problem before MT even got here.

MT is not perfect, I don’t even think he is a great coach, but is he bad? No. He is at worst average, and most of the time he does a good job. For a guy brought in to stabilize the team and get on the right track, he’s done quite well.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habfan17 says:

I would say at the end of the season, what undid them, was trying to play to the other team’s systems and be more physical instead of sticking with the aggressive forecheck and speed. The other thing was his defensive positioning in their own zone when defending. I will agree that did not work. It did not mean they had to change everything and the best coaches get that.

I respect your opinion and I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
        It is enjoyable to read your perspective. Enjoy the game tonight and have a happy new years eve!

Habfan17

51. ABHabsfan says:

With Canada’s win today at the WJHC and it would seem Fucale has the keys to the bus, a very real scenario could play out:
    WJHC gold and Olympic gold both backstopped by Habs goalies.
    Short of a Stanley Cup this would make for a really fantastic hockey season.
    “man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

52. habstrinifan says:

Anyone knows if Perry Turnbull was at this game. He was the Leaf’s Guy Lapointe.

53. Maritime Ronn says:

To Mr. Boone and the wonderful HIO folks.
    All the best of health and happiness in the New Year.
    See ya in the morning with the crew

54. CH Marshall says:

So.. Next Heritage Classic with the Habs, will Carbo and Bob Gainey talk? Will Roy and Mario Tremblay talk? Will Kovy show up or disapear?

55. frontenac1 says:

Ah New Year’s Eve! Great day of Pints with the Lads at The Legion, back home for some Lobster, Guinness and Single Malts. Cohibas between periods, Habs on the tube. What a country eh amigos? Saludos!

56. Chuck says:

The great thing about tonight is that if the game sucks, I’ll be able to put the New Year’s Eve ’75 game in the DVD player and watch some tremendous hockey from a December 31st.

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

57. Buzz Lightbeer says:

So Prust goes back to the line that really accomplished jack squat when it was iced a few weeks ago and the speedy forechecking Bournival plays on the fourth line that was probably our best line the last two games?
    Alrighty than.

58. Storman says:

Nice to hear Steve Yzerman say his feet are killing him, i know that feeling when you have not put your skates on for awhile and then get out there to play game. even if just a shinny game your feet have to get accustomed to the abuse of skates and skating all over again.

59. Arnou Ruelle says:

Looks like Zach Fucale is getting all the media buzz right after his gutsy performance against the US at the WJC.

The Habs have no shortage of amazing goaltending talent the NHL have seen for the past 30+ years. From Dryden, Roy, Theodore, Huet, Price, and possibly, Fucale, I wish this team will be the envy of other teams in this league.

60. CH Marshall says:

So awesome Palmeteer with his mask and all

61. Luke says:

I will personally deliver 3 apples to DD if he fights Nathan Gerbe and wins. Timo, you can sign them, right?

62. Storman says:

Forget the fact we have gone through 20+years of mediocre year after year hockey,,

The complete boring ass style the team is playing would be acceptable if I believed the players were completely all in, the fact that we get out competed constantly tells the sorry truth that they are not all in,, and we most likely will fall back into a battle for the final playoff spot by year end. the scary part to me, is 24CH seems to show players tuning out MT constant repetitive lines in the dressing room, Seems they perk up a little more when Gallant comes in to say a few things..

Gorges ra ra lets go boys, does not inspire squat at times, I wish he would give it a rest maybe some one else would take the leadership mantle if he gave someone else a chance to say something before his ra ra rants,,, I am pretty sure if Markov got up and said one little thing it would have 10 times the affect of Gorges constant ra ra here we go boys crap.

• John Q Public says:

24ch is carefully crafted crap. To me it’s a highlight show.
      Back in the day they had Dick Irvin and Ron Reush with a better show. But now the team has control on what’s presented.
      Try not to take the one snippet they give you and run with it.
      Markov does his talking on the ice.

• PeterD says:

I think Therrien has lost the room.
      His decision making and use of players is frustrating the players.
      I’ve had enough of this coach…he us not the guy to take the team to the cup.

63. Habilis says:

So I’m watching this outdoor alumni game with an eye on twitter and I can’t help but chuckle. Plenty of Leafers on today, reminiscing about the “great” early 90′s teams that they had. The best is when they talk about how they got robbed in ’93. Like there was nobody left to beat after the Kings…

Pretty funny that the best moment most Laff fans can remember is a loss in the semi-final. Makes me smile anyhow.

On the subject, I’m ecstatic about the Phaneuf deal. Him being their best D for the next 7 years is just fine by me.

64. Luke says:

Thought I’d check in and say hello. Wishing everyone the appropriate happys and merrys. Go Habs go etc…

Have fun.

Be excellent to each other.

65. JUST ME says:

As time runs out on 2013 here`s hoping for a 2014 as succesfull for the Habs. I know many of you will always find reasons to bitch but if you look at the big picture, the final results from year 2013 were over all expectations.

Happy 2014 everyone ! Stay safe, warm and habs fans !

66. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MT is moving up Prust to the third line because the GM did not do his job and replace Cole in the off-season…simple as that.

67. JohninTruro says:

AceTen from previous thread: I must have forgot all of those thigns you said about Gauthier.
    Note the other comments I made about switching from USHL to Junior. Vail didn’t make team US and is over a ppg so what does that say? The US in my opinion is a better team than team Canada (they won last year and have a lot of returning players). Canada did win today on the back of Fucale, but one game does not make a team a “better team”. But hey, I appreciate your opinion, as I would hope you appreciate mine. I do not get excited by Gauthier, and I do not think he is a great prospect. I have watched him play in the Q, and I have watched him for in the WJC, there is a reason he went where McCarron did in the draft, he is also a crap shoot. If he wasn’t he would have gone top 5.

• Storman says:

Guathier is not a great prospect, not a great skater at all so he has some size, not impressed at all by him, except he is good in the face off circle,,Mantha on the other hand he would have been worth moving swapping picks + give up extra later round picks anything not too crazy to move up and acquire Anthony Mantha would have been awesome,,, also would have tried to move up to select Andre Burakovsky who went 23rd overall,

• commandant says:

Vail was over a PPG last year until he was moved back to defence to compensate for injuries on the Windsor blue line. When he played forward, he was a PPG player.

Vail is also a 4th round pick, and not a first rounder.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• JohninTruro says:

What round the player is picked in didn’t have anything to do with my point about challenging his/her point on being a ppg and making the WJC team. I am very familiar with where these guys have been drafted. Gauthier has been a plug at best for Canada. Slow and no hands to speak of.

• AceTen says:

I’m just saying it’s extremely disappointing the start McCarron has had in the OHL. Especially when a player like Mantha went just 5 spots earlier. McCarron has 13 points in 34 games so far… Mantha has 73 points in only 32 games. There is no comparison. Even Gauthier was putting up 60 points in the Q last year.

I am happy at least that McCarron went to London. I feel 60+ games and most likely another 20+ with playoffs and the memorial cup will be much better for his development than 40 in the NCAA. It is also encouraging that he is fighting (or at least trying to). Another year in junior and 1 or 2 in the AHL will hopefully turn him into the big mean tough power forward we all hope he can be.

68. Storman says:

I wish the NHL would take a page from the NBA’s new transparency on officiating missed or bad calls, the NBA league offices recognizes them on a regular basis, does not change the call or outcome, but have said in extreme circumstance they are even willing to replay a game if necessary or an end of game due to a bad late call , but you know that transparency at the very least lets you know they are aware of the bad calls and maybe will help assess officials performance and or motivate and teach officials in the long run.

69. The Jackal says:

So will the anti-MT brigade at least provide some kind of argument with factual evidence as to why MT sucks?

It’s just baffling that there is such a distaste for him, as if we were in last place or something. He was not the favourite to become coach here by any means, but here he is, he is the coach, and he has done way better than his detractors thought he’d do when he got the job.

So far, MT has proved to be very capable. Sure, he’s not the second coming of Scotty Bowman, and personally I think Carbo could do a better job, but by no means is MT failing. What exactly are people seeing that they think he is doing so terribly? The team has won a lot more than it has lost, and he’s getting what he can out of this roster, which is not exactly a great roster.

So let’s hear it, what is MT doing wrong, why does he suck? Why is the team doing better than expected under a shitty coach?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• JohninTruro says:

Tough for anyone to say he has been a terrible coach with our record, difficult to argue. But he has made a lot of head scratching decisions, particularly with line combos, and ice time given out to certain players, whether to much or not enough. But at the end of the day we do not know what goes on between him and Bergevin, and we do not hear what goes on with the other coaches and what’s behind closed doors. He is our coach for now, and we should support him until the point where he isn’t.

• habcertain says:

the Habs are where they are, based on the stellar play of the goaltenders, if not for some elite play we would be trailing the Laffs and not in contention. nothing about that rides on the genius of Therrien, the rest of our game sucks, and he is not getting the potential out of many players, i.e. Chucky. this kid is starting to spin, not moving forward.

• 24 Cups says:

MT’s record speak for itself. Despite the past few weeks, the team has played as well as can be expected.

Here’s one thing I’ve noted. When the Habs are rolling Therrien’s name is rarely mentioned on HI/O. Once they stumble, it’s on him, not the players. I think that’s a reflection of human nature (especially as defined on the internet stage) and not MT’s coaching ability and record.

Right now a few Habs such as Gionta, Eller, Gallagher, Bourque, Prust and Emelin have hit the skids. Not to mention the Briere signing has blown a tire (I give MT credit for having the guts to bench him). The Habs poor play is as much on these players as it on the coach.

If there’s one thing that I would like to see MT do it would be to turn Galchenyuk loose. Especially on the PP. He’s the most gifted forward the team has so it makes sense that he could help break the scoring slump the team is presently experiencing. He could be to the Habs what Drouin is for Team Canada right now.

• shiram says:

Players also get called out when the team stumbles, but it’s true that Therrien’s name seems to only appear during losing streaks.

I’d say Gio is about on pace for normal season, he’s just not scoring goals has much but he’s third on the team in assists, he works out ok on Pleky’s line, who’s handling the sniping duty while still waiting for top 6 winger.

Therrien’s just not very charismatic so he’s a tough sell for a tough crowd, he does seem to make weird decisions sometimes, but he and the team have exceeded my expectations so far.

• Eddie says:

Plekanec is not waiting for a top 6 winger. That’s the way Plekanec has played his entire career. He is Guy Carbonneay clone. Great defence, great speed, 50 to 60 points ceiling.

Galchenyuk was playing on his line for several games recently. You thin Galchenyuk is not a top 6 winger?

• shiram says:

Pleky had a 69 and a 70 point season, I think with better winger he could produce more, yes.
            He’s played a few games with alot of players, but outside Gionta and Bourque, has not had another player stay consistently with him.
            Chucky would be a great idea, and maybe try Bourque on the right with Eller.

• Eddie says:

On any other team Galchenyuk would already be a star. It’s ridiculous.

And in spite of the limited ice time, Galchenyuk continues to find a way to pick up the points.

He is such a terrific talent. I watch the games to see him, Subban, Price, the great young stars.

• habstrinifan says:

“Here’s one thing I’ve noted. When the Habs are rolling Therrien’s name is rarely mentioned on HI/O. Once they stumble, it’s on him, not the players.”

I may be overly conceited or sensitive but I am gonna stand up for my self and say that my posts criticising MT cannot be characterised by that statement.

With the preamble that I understand my evaluation to be mine and mine only and certainly accept that I do not come to them with a doctorate in coaching methodologies, I stand by all my criticisms.

I have always accompanied those criticisms with evidence based on what MT says or does, all publicly available. And also last year especially when MT did show signs of a greater coaching acumen, I praised him.

I wont go over all the evidence like MT putting DD/Briere and Pacs together from day 1 and proudly (but blindly) proclaiming some sort of vision. Then he beratesthis team that they must accept that they are nothing but grinders.
        And if you go to 24ch episode #33, you tell me how impressed you are with his insights.

Again your opinion of Mt’s tactics, skill, bench demeanour may differ. And you may be absolutely right and I totally wrong.

In which case we will beg to disagree in how we look at the evidence. But I take issue with your statement as it regards to my criticisms.

• 24 Cups says:

habstrinifan – I am at a total loss as to why you might think my general statement about the site (and Hab fans in general) would ever be directed at you, personally. All I was doing was replying to the question posed by “The Jackal”. At no time did he, or I, mention your name or avatar. Not to mention that it’s not my style to engage in insults or tug-of-war arguments.

I don’t get it.

• habstrinifan says:

I understand that you were not identiyfing any ‘single’ critic. But I think the statement unfairly dismisses many fans (including me) by relegating our concerns to purely a temporary game reaction.

When there is a real sense of despair in the ongoing type of hockey we see our erstwhile legendary Habs ‘selling’ now.

My post was not a reaction against any perceived insult. Nor was it an invitation for a one-on-one verbal tug-of-war. It simply tries to explain the sincerity and, dare I say it, seriousness of the cry we are making for a different approach by our coach to this game of hockey.

• John Q Public says:

Our team kinda sucks so the coach is to blame, ie. he sucks.
      He started with a bang and now is JM 2.0.
      Noting that that JM as MT is working with the horses he has.
      Who’s really to blame, the players as always.
      “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink”

The coach puts the players on the ice. They decide who wins the games.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Ultimately, we’re still (for the most part) living with the legacy of Gainey/Gauthier et al.
        (a coach can only do so much with the cards he’s dealt)

• John Q Public says:

Now we come to the GM.
          He’s done nothing consequential in terms of trades to improve or change this team. Of course I am not spouting anything new here.
          Where as Gainey like him or not shot for the moon. It didn’t work as planned but the results were seen quickly. MB’s vision will mean another 5 yrs till we will be competitive. Not good enough in this just in time society. But I don’t buy the tickets or merchandise so they don’t care about what I have to say.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Despite seeing little in the way of tangible results from Bergevin to date, (and somne bone-head moves) I’ll still take his performance any day vs the years of Bleah/total failure to address obvious needs from Gainey/Gauthier (still loved Gainey as a player)….

• Timo says:

Just to reassure you that they equally don’t care about the paying customers either.

• mark-ID says:

I know…..it is a ridiculous argument. I don’t even bother getting involved in this argument. People act like we are the last place team in the league…..when in reality we all knew coming into this season that we were more a less a bubble team, and maybe could finish a bit better with great goaltending.

We are over-exceeding most peoples expectations, but now that they are having difficulties putting the puck in the net……people want to blame the easiest targets. (Eg. coaches, small players, soft players) pick whichever you want and go with it.

BTW Pitts just lost 2-1 to NJ today. Time for them to start panicking that they only scored one goal?
      Bottom line, we aren’t an offensive juggernaut, we will win close games….but this is still a team that can pull those games off and come away with an above .500 record. They have proven this over the last two seasons. To continue to bitch about the coach, I think is ridiculous.

• JUST ME says:

@mark-ID
        You should repost that comment every half hour cause it makes that much sense and a lot of HIO fans need to see the situation from a wise and a wide angle.
        Could not have said it better.
        Happy 2014 !

• mark-ID says:

haha, for sure. Same to you, thanks.

• mfDx says:

The Habs finished 2nd? 3rd last season? The playoff run ended prematurely. with injuries to Emelin, Gionta, Price, Eller etc..
        I think expectations were higher this season due to the emergence of the Gallys, the signing of a big guy nicknamed Crankshaft, A Norris trophy winner and a new goalie coach…
        … the downward spiral began when the great Lafleur passed the torch to a way-past -prime 37 year old who didn’t want to come here 3 years ago.

Sent from my CHphone

Carolina is presently in free fall as they are in danger of slipping out of the playoff race. The team has lost its last 5 games and 8 out of the last 9. Their GD is -23 (Montreal is +10) while they also have a negative home ice record of 7-8-5. They are five points out of a playoff spot and sit 13th in the conference. Hell, there’s just two points ahead of Florida, one of the NHL’s doormats that any team can beat.

Cam Ward is starting in net tonight. He is 14-8-3 with a 2.70 GAA in 25 career games versus the Canadiens. Ward has been less than stellar this year (he has been injured) as witnessed by his stats of 18/5/7/5/.898/3.10

Eric Staal has historically been a point-per-game player against the Habs, with 34 points in 33 games. He’s obviously the player to watch tonight.

It’s interesting how trades sometimes work out. Jordan Staal’s stats aren’t that much different from those of Brandon Sutter even though Sutter has to play behind Crosby and Malkin. Brian Dumoulin is ready to break through on the Pens’ defense while Derrick Pouliot is one of the best defensemen for Team Canada in the WJC. Even if you count the salary for all three Penguins, Pittsburgh still comes out ahead in the cap with an extra 1.4M. And they were the team that was forced to make the deal.

Projected lineups (based on yesterday’s practice). Take a good look at Carolina’s D. Pedestrian at best.

Jeff Skinner – Eric Staal – Alexander Semin
    Nathan Gerbe – Jordan Staal – Patrick Dwyer
    Drayson Bowman – Riley Nash – Tuomo Ruutu
    Zach Boychuk – Manny Malhotra – Radek Dvorak

Andrej Sekera – Justin Faulk
    Ron Hainsey – Brett Bellemore
    Mike Komisarek – Tim Gleason
    Ryan Murphy

Cam Ward
    Justin Peters

• dr. gesundheit says:

Yah lost me re… “…only 2 points ahead of Florida, one of the NHL’s doormats that anyone can beat.”

I believe that Florida still (or @ least till recently) is the only team in the entire league with a winning record vs the Habs).

And then there was the month of Dec/13

• ABHabsfan says:

I did not know Komisarek was still in the NHL. huh
      If we can’t muster 3 or more tonight, we know there is a real problem.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• 24 Cups says:

There aren’t many young players in the league who have fallen this quickly. Komo is still just 31, 6’4″, 240 lbs and a right handed shot. He could easily be out of the league next year.

When I first joined this site the great debate of the day was who would become the next captain, Komisarek or Higgins. I hope he has invested his money wisely.

71. Mavid says:

Happy New Year everyone..hope we end the year with a big win..I am off to a New Years Party..Duck Dynasty themed..yep you heard it right..having never watched the show I have no idea what I am in for. I rarely drink so I would much rather be watching my game then attending but my hubby needs a drive home..so away I go hopefully the host will take sympathy on me and put it on the TV..hope you all have a good one, and be safe!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• habstrinifan says:

Notwithstanding the recent stupidness of the ‘head of the family’ opening his mouth giving an interview, i recommend that you go with the flow tonight.

If you believe, like I do, that life is be lived as moronly funny as possible (Simpsons and Al Bundy come to mind) then Duck Dynasty is must see TV.

Enjoy the party. Just dont go into the bedroom where the squirrel skinning is happening.

72. JohninTruro says:

Crisp with an assist, and Vail with 2 assists early today in their games. McCarron plays tonight, I have a feeling he will get at least one point!

73. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Second. Nobody will remember…

74. Propwash says:

Foist!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

75. Plekasuares says:

Briere, DD too name a few

76. Sportfan says:

I kept bugging my buddy saying he better have a good channel for new years to watch the ball but at this rate no thanks XD

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

77. The Jackal says:

He scored 15 times before that, has 16 goals in 32 games. How exactly is Pacioretty bad?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

78. Et le but says:

Going out of 2013 a kinder, gentler poster EOHF?

79. Adidess says:

We’re winning 3-0. What is it with you and the thirst for violence!? Happy New Year!

80. Mattyleg says:

Angry.
    Angry young man.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

81. Et le but says:

Thought you had turned the corner on posting while infuriated…

82. Et le but says:

A new alliance is born…right here on HIO

83. Mondou6 says:

Happy New Year! :)

84. frontenac1 says:

Hey EOHF! The only thing better than tuning up a Ref would be Diaz feeding “em to Youppi.Saludos!

85. habstrinifan says:

Rationalized violence! Hmmmm sounds familiar.

86. danhabsfan says:

He won’t, he has no backbone

87. The Slacker says:

This is effing ridiculous. Carolina should buy each of the refs a bottle of Veuve Cliquot for handing em this one on a silver fucking platter.

88. Dulljerk says:

Yes blowing a 3 goal lead is “FUN”, all they did was tie the game, not win it.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

89. twilighthours says:

Dude you’ve got issues. It’s just a hockey game

90. RAM_TOUGH says:

Price will be screwed out of that.

Guts-Glory-Ram

91. The Capitalist Pig says:

Dress Leblanc up front and promote Paytrn.

92. Odie24 says:

Someone who wants to compete? Just a thought. Bourque is a lazy player, with a questionable work ethic. Has been all his career.

93. The Capitalist Pig says:

My farts produce more Joules than a Borque shift!

94. NDG BOY says:

Please loose. Maybe trades will then happen

We are not as far as u think

95. Mattyleg says:

Duuuhhhh…

And it’s ‘lose’. Not ‘loose’.
    The latter better represents your grasp of grammar.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

96. The Capitalist Pig says:

Shorten it! Fart!!!

97. Odie24 says:

Hahaha, the Habs had a 4 min PP to close the game!?!?!?!?!? What more do you need???????

98. The Jackal says:

Wow bud, there’s way more to life than the Habs, enjoy your evening and put this behind you. Bad breaks, it happens.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

99. Plekasuares says:

Ya boone is annoying as hell

100. Grimmly says:

Boone is the king troll and is a disgrace to this paper, he retired, you can mute him, get him off this site please

101. Mattyleg says:

11 fewer minor penalties…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

102. danhabsfan says:

I wouldnt

103. topher5468 says:

It’s his blog, I’m sure no one is forcing you to come here, Maybe you should find a new site to go to, Just saying.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

104. DDO_Habs_Fan says: