Liveblog: Game 37 – Canadiens trounced in St. Louis

ChrisStewart

First period sealed deal

St. Louis got two goals from Alexander Steen and another by Chris Stewart in the first period and that was the ballgame.

Brendan Gallagher's 10th of the season was the only score of the middle period.

Jaden Schwartz and Maxim Lapierre made it 5-1 in the third.

St. Louis outshot the Canadiens 29-26.

Icing on the cake

Jaden Schwartz and Maxim Lapierre scored third-period goals to complete the rout.

Shutout averted

Brendan Gallagher snapped out of an 11-game scoring drought, batting his own rebound out of the air and past Jaroslav Halak.

It was the Canadiens' first even-strength goal in regulation since Dec. 7 in Buffalo: 356 minutes, 35 seconds.

Shots were 11-6 St. Louis.

POW!

It began with Alexander Steen's shorthanded goal, completing a 2-on-1 with T.J. Oshie four minutes in.

Three minutes later, Steen popped another one: his 24th, matching a career high.

Wide-open in the slot, Chris Stewart made it 3-0.

Alexei Emelin was on for all three St. Louis goals.

Shots were 12-8 for the home team.

Christmas road trip begins

Your Montreal Canadiens won't be back on Bell Centre ice until next year.

Between now and Jan. 4, the team plays in St. Louis, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina and Dallas.

The Canadiens face two challenging games before a six-day Christmas break next week: the Blues Thursday night, the Predators on Saturday.

St. Louis sits second behind Chicago in the NHL's Central Division. The Blues have a plus-34 goal differential and are 13-3-2 at the Scottrade Center.

A week ago, the game shaped up as a clash between two of the league's best defence pairings: Andrei Markov and P.K. Subban vs. Alex Pietrangelo and Jay Bouwmeester. But Michel Therrien shuffled his Dmen against Phoenix, pairing P.K. with Josh Gorges and Markov with countryman Alexei Emelin.

Daniel Brière will be a healthy scratch against St. Louis.

In the interim, check out the Canadiens' Christmas card.

Michel Bergeron jumps ship

1. RAM_TOUGH says:

What will be MT’s pathetic excuse tonight?

Guts-Glory-Ram

2. Et le but says:

Not the start we were hoping for…yikes

3. piter says:

Emelin has to take the pass away

4. RAM_TOUGH says:

This Team is starting to make me sick!

Guts-Glory-Ram

5. Arrow77 says:

And we won that faceoff. Jesus!

6. Danno says:

That truly sucks

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. RAM_TOUGH says:

Great rebound not a Hab in sight!

Guts-Glory-Ram

8. danhabsfan says:

Pleks should have gone for the back door pass

9. danhabsfan says:

Price has been standing up like Dryden

10. RAM_TOUGH says:

I can stand Halak as much as the any Bruin’s player.

Guts-Glory-Ram

11. Et le but says:

Hard work in the O zone pays off

12. Habilis says:

Bournival… Kid needs MOAR minutes.

13. Samovich says:

so far not missing Briere one bit

14. krulmadden says:

Whoops!! Maybe not. Chris “Where am I” Lee is referring so perhaps a shoot out win

15. habfaninottawa says:

Hey Boone, I also just made the same lament about Chris Lee

16. Rudy says:

Lighting is weird

17. danhabsfan says:

That was an early test, on Price and the guts of the boys

18. RAM_TOUGH says:

How hard will Montreal make Halak work tonight? How many shots will be directed right into his belly?

Guts-Glory-Ram

19. krulmadden says:

We got this. Therrien has the boys playing tighter D. So I’m thinking we’re going for the win. Go Habs Go!

20. Phil C says:

I’m also torn on the entire Briere debacle. One one hand I respect the stones Therrien is showing by sitting an under-performing veteran, sending a good message to the rest of the team. On the other hand, I would have liked to see him get a better opportunity at centre and some 1st pairing PP time. Oh well…

21. danhabsfan says:

Is that for real? Does Marc Denis really have to explain that. Why?

22. VancouverHab says:

“Eller-Prust-Bourque starting”

On paper (pixels?) that is a VERY promising line….

23. smiler2729 says:

I’m going to play hockey at 9pm so I’m going to miss a lot of the game but I’ll come here to get the vibe of what I missed.

You guys rock even if nobody ever says it.

CHeers!

PS. Leafs suck.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

24. NLhabsfan says:

Still like Max’s saber move.

25. Rudy says:

My dad always talked about HNIC starting a half hour after the game started.

26. Et le but says:

Evening fellow inmates…
    Thinking that Lars will have a big game tonight and the Habs will win.

My fearless prediction: 4-2

27. HABZ24 says:

Briere earns 4 mill a yr.thats $48,780 a game,hes played 26 games has 10 pts,thats $126,829 per point.hope santa brings him faster legs and a new attitude for xmas or its waiver city

GO HABS GO

May the Habs shellac Halak.

29. Sportfan says:

60 Hab games without Michelle Begeron blabing bring Brunet with you!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

30. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

While it is ridiculously early in the season for this… Go Sabres!Go Predators*! Go Coyotes! Go Blue Jackets! Go Wild! ___ * dumbest team name in the NHL.

31. Gerry H says:

“Remember when ALL hockey games started at 8 o’clock?”

Still the only time that feels natural.

Especially on a Saturday night, right after my bath.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I hear you, Gerry!
      Bed after the second period, but careful manipulation of baby-sitters usually guaranteed getting to the end of the game.

• Mr. Biter says:

Till some time in the mid 70′s Manitoba had a law that the beer parlors (Pub’s to everyone else) had to quit serving beer at 6:30 and be vacated by 7:00 to gets the men home to their wives and kids for dinner. They would then re-open at 7:30. Was that the same in any other provinces in Canada?

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

32. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

For those who don’t check in on the in(s)ane ramblings of Eklund, here is his half cent about the Scratching of Brière: “Danny Briere is a healthy scratch tonight for the Canadiens. I watch all the Habs games and want to throw in my two cents. This is a joke. It is now blatantly apparent that head coach Michel Therrien has no idea where to play Danny or how to utilize him. When he plays him as he should, Danny produces but is then quickly shuffled off to the fourth line. I seriously question why Montreal even signed him in the first place, if they didn’t intend to maximize the areas he excels.”

Question: the Habs games he’s been watching… Are they from this season?

Also, and unrelatedly, Eklund has the Devils acquiring Erat for Brunner. Without the Caps also sending an excellent second entity, this makes 0 sense. Quel surprise.

• Ozmodiar says:

> I watch all the Habs games and want to throw in my two cents.

I’d say the likelihood of this is about an E2.

• habnonymous1 says:

I have seen absolutely jack-squat from DB that merits a roster spot.

Of his goals, I think two were empty-netters and even his nice assist was nothing that Bournival hasn’t done more of and better.

Briere is where he belongs, the press box, Kaberle’d.

33. VancouverHab says:

@Dunboyne Mike:

“Nice special pleading…”

Clever lad! +100

[@DipsyD: nope--but I recognise a lynching when I see one...]

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha ha!

But go on: whence the Gomer love?

• VancouverHab says:

Well, pro sport support at bottom is 100% emotion, passion, sentiment, etc. On that basis, Gomez stuck a chord with me.

So, beyond that, (a.) Gomez has immense hockey skill–his passing+vision is, as central Scouting says, Gretzky-like. Leave aside opinions on his use of his skill, some of his setups just in his Montreal days were breathtaking and his skating is phenomenal.

And (b.), he has a great attitude (I mean, again, leave aside opinions of his production)–objectively speaking, he is a real positive human being, to a degree that I wish I shared.

Last, (c.) the hatred for him here really set me off, because it was so (to me) self-evidently irrational, malicious, and self-righteous. Also, to the degree that people used his salary as justification for their hatred, it struck me then and strikes me now as ignoble envy.

Oh, and (d.) Jack Todd hated on Gomez as part of that petty scribbler’s vindictiveness against the man who traded for him, and opposing that smug journalist is a moral act.

Thanks for asking!

• Arrow77 says:

I don’t agree with a). His passing when he was here wasn’t on par with Plekanec or Desharnais, who both are pretty far from Gretzky-like. The only thing he could do in the end was to pass really hard in the slot.

• VancouverHab says:

“DD’s passing is on par with Gomez’s”?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Oh, and the Gretzky equivalence is Central Scouting’s analysis: I just quote it verbatim.

34. Maksimir says:

For those of you gripping about Briere at 4mil x 2 yrs.. can you imagine Clarkson 36mil x 7 years… at least Briere has 5g and Clarkson 2g

35. Propwash says:

On my way to Irish Embassy to watch the game with a few friends, and tip a few pints. Enjoy the game everyone!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

36. Maksimir says:

tonight Halak gets chased out by the 2nd

37. Maksimir says:

when was that Boone? 1970?

38. DipsyDoodler says:

OK, what’s Scamaham’s justification for no suspension to Wilson?

Is it the laughable Philly contention that there was no concussion?

39. habnonymous1 says:

Something to watch while waiting for the 8:00 start, a nice memory for the old-timers and great for the kiddies before bedtime.

Roch Carrier’s National Film Board of Canada animated short classic, ” The Sweater” , 10:25 of pure Canadiana.

“We all wore the famous number 9 on our backs….”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyDsF-Gp3o (very good video quality)

40. WAR72 says:

Do the habs on their current roster even have a conventional/traditional captain type player?
    Maybe in a season or two someone may emerge with beliveau type characteristics… In the meantime i agree that the room should choose.
    Since I’ve never been in the room, 24ch aside, i cant say for sure who might merit this title…
    From the outside looking in my vote goes to prust. Kinda like keane-style..
    Re-sign him and give him the c.

41. Strummer says:

“ it was only the BRILLIANCE of Carey Price that kept the Canadiens in the game until they mounted their comeback against Phoenix Tuesday“

-Chris Cuthbert TSN play-by-play Leafs vs. Coyotes

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

42. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Late to the party. This must be early cHrIOStmas, with the healthy scratching of M Brière. I myself am pleased by it, and will rely upon the present denizens of Montréal to let me know how this move goes over with the Québécois press, pundit classes and ordinary citizens.

PS; I have got a good feeling about this game.

43. Edman says:

“I think I’ve worked out a deal to get Crosby and Stamkos, and we wouldn’t have to give up that much!” – if half of the HIO community members were GM of the Montreal Canadiens.
    Get real folks, our team is second in the Atlantic and the numbers look good. Let’s just focus on what we got now and enjoy it.

44. HabsLifer says:

Captaincy for any team at any level should be voted on by their peers. Let the players decide. Had great success with this in minor hockey. Along with that, my older brother coached at the Senior A level and did the same thing. He won many championships; 8 out of 10 years in New Brunswick. Hockey is hockey, regardless of level.

———————————
    Claude Provost Rocked!

45. Danno says:

That 8:00 pm start is going to cut into my beauty sleep…

God knows I need it!!!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

46. L Elle says:

Ok, so what have I missed? ;)

Big road win, Go Habs Go!

47. HABZ24 says:

Habs need to package up briere ( new gomez) and bourque maybe moen and get youth in return.
    GO HABS GO

48. Danno says:

Habs have too many centres and nowhere to put them.

Montreal is the Universe of Centres.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

49. Mattyleg says:

Just want to put it out there that SmartDog’s post about Briere is one of the worst I’ve seen from a veteran poster.

Very poor.
    You would have expected him to have edited it, or, if he can’t be bothered, at least to retract some of the silly things he said. The very least he could have done would be to admit that it was crap and badly thought-out, and that he’d work harder at the next one.

Is this nuna 2.1?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. Dunboyne Mike says:

Re-watched the Wilson-Schenn hit in light of today’s genius decision by NHL, Player Safety Division. This led me to Shawn Thornton’s post-Brooks interview.

Putting it out there: I believe his remorse is real.

This in no way excuses a lack of professional control which resulted in brain injury and could well have been worse.

My only point is what appears a massive contrast with Chara.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree with you Mike. Chara is a fake phony fraud and most in the media do his PR work for him. No excuse for Thornton here either but he was quick to express his regrets.

• Ozmodiar says:

Maybe, but I’m a bit skeptical.

Something tells me the contrast can be explained by the fact that Chara could deny the intent, whereas Thornton can not. If Chara showed remorse, it would have implied intent. Maybe Chara was remorseful, but hid it.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I don’t disagree.
        However, I reckon Chara’s remorse was qualitatively different. Whereas Thornton’s arose from the red mist descending, Chara’s followed what sure looked like a long, cold-blooded wait to get even.

• Ozmodiar says:

This is true… and well put.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

What do you make of the Wilson decision, Oz? I mean, in any other circumstance I would be shocked, scandalised. But because it’s the NHL, NOTHING surprises me.

• Ozmodiar says:

What you said – Nothing surprises me.

I’ve given up caring, prognosticating, and waiting on decisions from the NHL’s (ahem) department of player safety. I’ve completely tuned them out at this point.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Me too.
            But I get wrenched back to caring every time I see one of those hits. The league is despicable, nothing less.

51. Mattyleg says:

Had a great laugh once again listening to 690.
    Classic stuff on there.
    Heard them talking to someone over the phone, and I’m bad with voices, and I don’t listen often enough to recognize people, but when they were talking about Milan Michalek, and the phone voice said, at the end of the brief discussion, as an add-in “great guy, good person,” I knew it was Ol’ Mister Peanut himself.

He continued to be a caricature of himself all the way through the interview, talking about how he and Jacques Martin would chat endlessly into the night about hockey and life, how close he was with the families of the NHL players he coached, how he, he, he, he…

By gum, it did make me chuckle.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. Strummer says:

Zach Fucale gets the start against Finland tomorrow 10 AM on TSN

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

53. SmartDog says:

Quick Poll: Who’d make a better next Captain:
    A. Patches
    B. Pleks
    C. Gorges
    D. Markov

To me these are the likely options. I’d go with A and then B
    But if I had to put money its on Markov.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

54. Strummer says:

Major Suckitude in Ottawa. GM Murray gave them a blast today.
    The walrus isn’t such a genius when his goaltending isn’t bailing him out like last year.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

55. Sportfan says:

GO HABS GO

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

56. SmartDog says:

I can’t stand hearing Briere on the radio.
    It sounds so much like Gomez. Such politely humble confidence in the face of OBVIOUS suckitude. Really. Sound a little f-n concerned.
    Gomez 2.0. That’s what we’ve got.
    I have to say this fiasco makes me think much differently of Bergevin. Meanwhile Jagr just became the NHL’s ALL TIME LEADER for GWG. Idiots. Morons. A-holes. I’ve been lobbying for Jagr since the last Olympics when Pleks came back and said “he can still play and he wants to play here”.
    If only we had a Czech GM instead of a French one.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

57. Ron says:

No suspension for Tom Wilson…wow

• adadi says:

It is the NHL (Neanderthal Hockey League). Dumb move by the league. I’m sure the lawyers will use this as proof #1 that the league is still not protecting its players.

Amazing how many cromagnons are blaming Schenn.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Wouldn’t you just love to do a Watergate on the conversation that led to that decision?

Because one thing’s for sure: there’s no way the the deciding factor was player safety.

58. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Flyangler

Re. spin. You and me both!

59. habsfan0 says:

I predict Briere sits for only 1 game.
    Anything more than that will be perceived to be a slap in the face by MT to MB.

60. Maritime Ronn says:

Dear Mr. Boone

This has nothing to do with Mandella or Briere, yet just an adusted repost….
    :-)
    —–

I’m just wondering if I’m allowed to post a comment in defense of Coach Therrien on HIO?

Several have questioned his moves/motives and ToI about certain players ( Mea Culpa)…

…yet as one great Super Bowl winning coach Bill Parcells has stated in the past:
    ” You Are What You Record Says You Are”

Therrien season record with the Habs so far:
    2012-13: 29-14-5
    2013-14: 21-12-3
    Total…..: 50-26-8.

Perhaps we should all remember that last year, all the ‘eggspurts” had the Habs choosing a Top 5-10 Draft choice, and this year, a Top 14 Draft choice.
    Few had the Habs making the playloffs this year, and NONE last year.

Other naysayers will point to the past Ottawa playoff series 5 game loss…where the Habs did not have Eller-Emelin-a wounded, tired Markov, and other wounded warriors such as Max-Gio-Prust, and a D that had Diaz playing 3rd top minutes, and a rookie Tinordi playing 6th minutes including #3 minutes for the PK.
    And not to forget, Carey could not stop a beachball…

Is an NHL Coach’s ability/greatness determined by a Cup(s) Win and how his goalies stood on their head, or by a Coach that gets the most out of a wanting team and wills them into the playoffs?
    (NFL Football is so different)

Before you answer, a few Cup Winning Coaches… and are they, or were they, THE best:

1986: Jean Perron- Montreal Canadiens.
    2001: Bob Hartley – Colorado
    2006: Peter Laviolette – Carolina
    1996: Marc Crawford – Colorado
    1989: Terry Crisp – Calgary
    1971: Al McNeil – Montreal Canadiens
    1969: Claude Ruel – Montreal Canadiens

• adadi says:

Sorry but the coach is still a twit. He misses an extraordinary amount of obvious decisions.

• adadi says:

I should also say that coaches are given too much credit when they do win. I find most coaches are mediocre. However there have been some genius’ along the way.

Bowman
      Lemaire
      Babcock
      MacNeil

I’m sure I’ve missed many. However I can only think of Babcock in the game today.

• ABHabsfan says:

Habs could go 81-1 and there are plenty of “experts” around with with all the answers and reasons why Therrien couldn’t win the other game

61. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Was supposed to have some company visiting from out of town tonight.(All non hockey fans) I lied and postponed until tomorrow so i can watch the game.

62. Danno says:

If it goes to a shoot out again tonight I want to see Lars Eller sent out to score on Halak and complete the deal.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

63. FANHABULOUS says:

Well boys and girls, I’M GOING TO THE GAME TONIGHT!!

Super excited, and got some nice seats about 10 rows behind the Habs bench. Look for the guy (and his girl) decked out from head to toe in Habs paraphernalia, and riling up the locals! Hope the team puts on a good show.

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

64. Not sure how the Habs can beat these guys. Their top 8 players all have crazy +/- which means they are strong defensively as well as point productions. Their top three defense have more points than any of our forwards and lastly they have a great coach and we…well we have a coach. The only reason we have a chance is Halak Sir KicksAlot, years of being in the NHL and still kicks pucks into the slot. Habs Win 6-1 :lol:

We have practice again tonight (thank god) so it’s another PVR game which means no commercials and skip through boring parts of the game.
    Peace out, Merry Christmas

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

65. Dunboyne Mike says:

Jols!
    Can’t do it tonight. We are WINNING this game! The Blues are going down.

• Strummer says:

It’s 1968, 1969 redux

______________________________________________________
      “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bowman was scarey good, n’est-ce pas?

• Strummer says:

Bowman did well as he coached the expansion Blues – But Toe bested him in the finals

______________________________________________________
          “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

REALLY impressive for an expansion team in any sport. Has to be down to Bowman.

Closest thing I can think of is the NFL and both Carolina and Jacksonville getting to the Conf finals (in their second year?) (apologies: too brain-dead to look it up).

• Strummer says:

No apology necessary- it’s late in the evening

______________________________________________________
            “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You’re a gent.
            Are you also somewhere other than EDT?

• Strummer says:

No I’m in Toronto

______________________________________________________
            “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

66. Dunboyne Mike says:

Swiped from SlovakHab below:

“this team is definitely not average, but plays like one.”

Would be an excellent essay question. “Discuss being careful to support your point of view with reference to the Montreal Canadiens’ hockey season to date.”

67. bwoar says:

I can’t believe how bad this is. I ain’t watchin’ this s— !

(Posting this early as I won’t have computer access later.)

“thoroughbred”

68. John Q Public says:

Gionta & Diaz for Jagr and 2nd round pick.
    Do it!

69. GGtheHab says:

for some reason I feel more confident about our chances against the Blues than last time round..they have been scuffling, and we are bound to break out of the offensive slump sooner or later..a solid performance and the absence of DB could produce a W tonight..

70. Danno says:

Turd

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

71. Mustang says:

First?
    EDIT, I’ll have to settle for 2nd.

72. B says:

St. Louis has lost 2 in a row and only scored 2 goals in each of those games. They have scored only 2 goals in 4 of their last 6 games and 5 of the last 8. Since that stinker vs the Kings, Montreal has only allowed 5 goals in 4 games. Let’s hope the Blues scoring struggles continue and Montreal’s defense continues to be very stingy.

This is doable tonight!

–Go Habs Go!–

73. danhabsfan says:

They never call that, wait the next penalty will be against t he Habs, for something minor.

74. RAM_TOUGH says:

+1000

Guts-Glory-Ram

75. Mark C says:

I think it most likely went it, but you are right no way to see it cross the line. Thought this was one of the few clear cut rules in the NHL.

76. Azriel says:

Not what I said.

Look at his play in the corners. He tends to try to get the puck with the stick instead of imposing his body. He’s a big body.

He needs to change nothing with his stick.. only use his body more. He’ll learn.

77. Azriel says:

Correct. And learn to play with the puck closer to his skates when in the corners.

78. DickandDanny says:

“he is nothing but an extension of the careless, indolent, slothful oligarch upstairs.”

Best line ever. Great stuff. I cracked up laughing.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

79. Habilis says:

“Forget standings, in terms of toughness and actual on-ice performance, we are easily the worst team in the NHL.”

You lost me after that because that statement is literally gibberish. How can we be the worst team in terms of on-ice performance if we’re 11th overall in the league? We’ve performed better than 19 other teams, that’s just math.

I’ve been negative all night but come on man. At least look at it from a semi-realistic perspective.

80. SUMO says:

You would give up on a 21yr old defenseman? He wouldn’t be the first prospect in the history of the NHL to have made the team then, got sent down and struggled. Leblanc went through that last season and has rebounded this year. Wait until he’s 24 before considering him a bust.

81. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Big-body defensemen take the longest time to develop. Wait until 2015 before you pass judgement on him.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

82. Habilis says:

We’ve been trounced exactly twice this season. Twice in 37 games. And both times by real, actual Cup contenders.

We’re not contenders yet, that’s obvious. But we’re also not a bad hockey team by any measure.

83. HabsTrueBlue says:

Not sure if I would count Leblanc in yet – 5th on PPG on a weak team. He still has a long way to go. I agree with you about Tinordi though. I would prefer to use Pacioretty as a hopeful comparison over Leblanc.