Liveblog: Game 36 – Canadiens explode in third, win 3-1

MaxPhoenix

20 minutes does it

Dead in the water and trailing on Mikkel Boedker's goal after two periods, the Canadiens came to life in the third.

Outshooting the Coyotes 14-5, the Canadiens got power-play goals from Andrei Markov and Max Pacioretty to take the lead.

An empty-netter by Pacioretty came with three seconds left.

Carey Price made 21 saves through two periods en route to 26 on the game and First Star honours.

Three in the third

On an early-period power play, Andrei Markov blasted the puck through Mike Smith to get the Canadiens on the board.

Max Pacioretty's 13th, on another power play, was the winner.

Max-Pac scored into an empty net to seal the deal

Signs of life

The Canadiens killed a double minor to Brandon Prust.

Max Pacioretty hit the post behind Mike Smith on a power play.

Alex Galchenyuk forced Smith into a flamboyant glove save on a one-timer from in tight.

A 10-7 shot advantage, but still no goals.

First-period woes continue

The Canadiens haven't scored a first-period goal in their last six games.

Mikkel Boedker got Phoenix on the board, beating Carey Price with one of 15 shots the Canadiens' goaltender faced. The Canadiens blocked 12 shots, and six missed the net.

Mike Smith made 3 saves. His teammates blocked four and three shots missed the net.

Domination ... on home ice.

Rare visit

Lock up the lambs, the Coyotes are in town.

Phoenix has not visited the Bell Centre since Oct. 25, 2010.

The Canadiens won 3-2. The hero in Overtime?

Andrei Kostitsyn.

Canadiens fans wondering what happened to Mike Ribeiro, Kyle Chipchura and Jeff Halpern get their answers at the Bell Centre Tuesday night.

This is the Canadiens' last home game of 2013.

Lines at morning skate: Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bournival-Eller-Brière
Bourque-Prust-Moen

• Speaking of the Canadiens' anemic offence – which we weren't, because it's too depressing – fan Andy  Kirstein notes "if you take away 27's goal in Philly with the goalie pulled and 6 skaters and 67's goal in Long Island at 4 in 4, we haven't scored a 5 on 5 goal since the 2nd period against Buffalo last Saturday."

• Why professional athletes should avoid bars

1. Et le but says:

Embellishment?

2. Rob Maguire says:

Well that was dumb.

3. VancouverHab says:

Subban is awesome….and then other Habs are not awesome. Sigh. Goal.

4. Bill says:

Every December, it sucks to be a Habs fan.

Full Breezer 4 Life

5. RAM_TOUGH says:

For F sakes. Bad News Habs

Guts-Glory-Ram

6. Strummer says:

‘Yotes goal- Gionta from Emelin

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

7. Rob Maguire says:

That rebound was fatter than (insert Rob Ford joke here).

8. Strummer says:

Conner Murphy?

Why didn’t his just name him Irish O’Irish?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

9. Rob Maguire says:

Go Yotes!

10. Rudy says:

Price is on (again)

11. DipsyDoodler says:

That Ekman-Larsson is a sweet player.

12. jols101 says:

Big Kill!!!
    Go Habs Go!!!

13. Et le but says:

Our PK has been good all season

14. VancouverHab says:

GREAT stick block by Moen

15. Habsolutely says:

Mickey Ribs ran into a huge red wall with the letters CH on it…

16. VancouverHab says:

Selfish penalty by Briere.

17. DipsyDoodler says:

Not a pen.

18. Et le but says:

VERY lazy penalty; not cool Daniel

19. Propwash says:

Here we go…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

20. Plekasuares says:

The rivalry continues! lol…

21. Et le but says:

Good start

22. Rudy says:

Place is soooo quiet

23. Propwash says:

Heyyyy Bugs! Glad to see you along for the ride!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. Le Jadester says:

@twilighthours

Hmmm……I partially agree, but he was also a bit of a whipping boy IMO. I’m finding it hard to support Briere and Bourque right now and they all are making more than AK’s 3 mil.

AK was on the best line the Habs have had for quite a while with Plex and Kovy.

Either way, I’d still take an EGG line over that anyday.

I wonder how well AK-Moen-Larry would do today ?

Habs, OLE !

Habs, OLE !

25. Habcouver says:

Laffs down 1-0 to those powerful Panthers .

Waiting patiently for #25

• MannyR says:

Waiting for the Habs game to start I’m watching Leafs/Panthers…Gomer is playing. Nothing has changed, he stick handles into the corner and backhands a pass to the middle of the ice which is rapidly snatched by a Leaf defenseman.

26. bigjames says:

in the rds intro, we see the champlain bridge with smoothly flowing traffic… i take it that was not a live shot…

27. HabSgt says:

Cholent Green is made of Russians! It’s made of Russians!!

Winter is coming. What is Habs may nver die!

28. Et le but says:

Feeling ambivalent about tonight’s game…

29. FlyAngler says:

C’mon Boone, if you’re a dog lover you can’t like coyotes, they eat too many dogs!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…and, finally, before I leave to pick-up My Daughter from work, I see the NHL looking at expanding to Seattle (great for Vancouver) and Las Vegas (great for the Mafia), with possibility of a 3 team expansion to include Quebec City (not great for Geoff Molson IMHO)

…boy, as one of the dinosaurs among the HIO collective, how I reminisce about the 6 team NHL

…hockey today is like pouring 1/8 of fine scotch with 7/8s of tap-water :(

…urghhh !!!

31. AliHaba says:

Klinkhammer came up with the Senators. You should remember him Mike (who can forget a name like that!).

Oops! My bad. He actually played one game with the Hawks in 2010-11 before playing 15 with the Sens in 2011-12. He signed as a UFA with the Coyotes in July 2012.

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

…da MuppleWeeds Phaneuf rumored for 7 years x $ 7 millions ?

…PK = $ 9 millions x 8 years ?

…I can’t see less than that for PK if Turdranna feels Phaneuf worth $ 7 millions per

33. The Dude says:

Ya…ok…Mike Riberio would be a bust according to 60% of HIO. Sounds like another big game by Ribs tonight!

34. DipsyDoodler says:

Vrbata is an interesting guy. Total journeyman until he reached the age of 30 when he morphed into a 30 goal 60 point type player.

35. RAM_TOUGH says:

Carey Price in nets for the home team. No slouch @ puck handling.

Guts-Glory-Ram

36. Danno says:

Boone, chomping at the bit, starts the party early

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

37. BigB says:

Cheers from a warm and sunny Phoenix, Arizona.

I love living in the Phoenix area, but I sure hope my home team loses to my beloved Canadiens.

Habs forever!

• Bugs says:

Question:
      Is it just the Phoenix region that doesn’t do daylight-saving switches or the entire state?

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• BigB says:

Hey Bugs!
        Excellent question. It’s actually the whole state.
        Arizona is the only state that doesn’t do it. So technically we bounce back and forth between pacific and mountain even though we don’t “change” anything.

Habs forever!

38. Habsolutely says:

Just watched the Lucic video. At one point I heard him say “I’m friends with the owner, don’t f*ck with me!!”. Or something along those lines.

Reminds me of the time he got into the fight with his gf and told the cops “don’t you know who I am?!?”

39. Reflektor says:

The war room allowed this in the crease/net action:

40. Strummer says:

Francois Gagnon on TSN with John Lu.

He says Habs are getting no transition from the defense to forwards and that’s a contributor to their lack of scoring
    _____________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

• Bugs says:

I’ve personally observed myself that a lack of SHOTS originating from SHOOTING zones, wherein, one can’t help admit, transitioning d-men hardly ever operate, is more often than not directly related to lack of scoring, but of course, I shouldn’t like to be known as one who objects to the expert opinions of microphone-holders.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

41. Bugs says:

I’m havin a vision. Comin to me in a dream. Behold!:
    Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-Brière
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
    Bournival-Prust-Moen

Put me down for two pts each fer Renay and Bree-ur…just to mix it up a bit, cuz let’s be honest, we could use some friggin diversion out there lately, knowumsayn?

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

42. Danno says:

I too have a horrible feeling about this game…

Doooooooooomed!!!!!!!!!!!!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

43. Strummer says:

‘Tis the season so I’ll stick with Egg Nog (and rum) in my tribute the EGG line

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

44. derfab says:

White could play right wing on any of the 4 lines right now and do as well or better. The kids should be back together with prust pinching in. Briere should sit.

45. on2ndthought says:

I like this line-up. We should win (hopeful courage)
    would prefer
    Bournival/White/Moen
    Prust/Eller/Bourque
    Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher

Briere-DD-Gio can take turns sitting out. Parros (IF) in against bruins
    Play the hell out of White and Eller’s lines. Give the other line offensive faceoffs pp etc.
    “a cannonading drive”

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Steve, thanks for the Gordie Howe read

…but, I don’t think some here will enjoy learning Colleen’s (and now Gordie’s) toy-poodle’s name is ‘Rocket’ though :)

47. CH Marshall says:

“Sometimes, when the moon is full and the wind is blowing from the general direction of Belarus, I wonder what happened to dear old AK46.”

LOL. That’s pure Liveblog gold right there

48. twilighthours says:

When Andrei Kostitsyn was traded, I promised myself not to forget his soft, pathetic, floating ways. Probably the most frustrating player I have ever been forced to cheer for. Not an ounce of me wants him to return to the Canadiens.

49. Psycho29 says:

Here’s 4 tickets for sale on Ebay Jan 16 Habs vs Sens….Section 306 (nosebleed section)….Check out the asking price.
    This seller has other games available for similar prices. Unbelievable…

50. TINMAN17 says:

Why not have Bourque replace Briere on the third line and leave White in on the fourth line? Maybe some time sitting would be good for Briere.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

51. Danno says:

Lucic should lay off the sauce. He’s gotten in trouble before because of it… http://sportsofboston.com/2011/09/08/police-talk-to-milan-lucic-after-argument-with-girlfriend-brittany-carnegie/

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

52. Sportfan says:

Waitng for my lift then off to the Centre Bell! I love going super early I don’t know why I always have.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

53. B says:

Dave Tippet is 10th on the list of all time best points% for coaches with an impressive .617:

Highly regarded Mike Babcock is 7th on the list with a .639 points%, just ahead of 8th placed Toe Blake and his .634 points%

Since Bergevin took over and hired Therrien as his coach, they Habs have 106 points in 83 games for a .638 points%

–Go Habs Go!–

54. --Habs-- says:

The real question here! Who shows up in red white and blue!

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

55. piper says:

I’m dissapointed that Therrien choses to scratch a heart and soul player like White as often as he does. I’d much rather see him sit players that continue to bring nothing game after game.

56. adadi says:

Looks like our gallant coach finally stumbled into some good lines. I’ve wanted to see Eller and Briere for a while. Might be a good fit with Bournivale rounding them out. Let’s hope he keeps everyone together for more than one whistle.

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I watched Lucic closely the last 2 years he played a prominent role for the Memorial Cup champion Vancouver Giants …he was their captain and a fierce competitive force on that team, with more than a modicum of skill putting the bisquit in the cookie jar …EXACTLY ‘what’ Our Habs were missing at the time, and still is missing today

…Milan also was an East Vancouver boy, meme chose as John Ferguson …both with the prominent over-sized schnozes and hulking presence on the ice

…I remember his draft-year praying the Habs will take him as Their first-pick

…We did not …Our huge loss …Boston’s, Our biggest rival’s, HUGE gain

…Vancouver has many wonderful citizens …it’s a quirky city, in many ways …one of the 2 cities in Canada, I feel ‘at home’ in, including My old home-town Montreal (the ‘quirkiest’ of all Canadian cities :) )

…yet, there is an underbelly of shit-heads in this city (Vancouver) that are classless and contemptible, capable of scrawling on churches, rioting in the streets for the pure joy of destruction of other peoples’ property, as well as the turd-heads like that muscle-bound, brainless putz that went after Lucic at bar-closing

…I guess one finds that in every city, but Vancouver sure has more than it’s share

• Habcouver says:

I had season tix when Lucic played for the Giants. He always had a rather awkward style of skating; I heard he didn’t learn to skate early but it was pretty apparent he had the heart of a lion for his team mates and the game.

I wish he was a Hab too but so do 28 other teams.

Unfortunately these imbeciles in Vancouver who call themselves hockey fans are not. They are trouble makers looking to gain some form of notoriety in their directionless lives.

I like Lucic because he is a local; I despise the Booins as a team.
      And to make it clear, I hate and loathe Marchand, period.

Waiting patiently for #25

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I’m feeling a little sorry for Lucic on this one too. There have to be plenty of idiots out there trying to impress someone by taking a poke at the big thuggish Bruin. At the same time, isn’t he wealthy enough to not have to associate with the riff-raff?

58. HabFab says:

In case you missed it, the Habs visiting the Montreal Sick Kids;

59. Max says:

Finished off all my brandy last night,so tonight’s drink is the underrated Sherry.It’s not just for your grandma anymore! Brandy and Sherry are my type of gals:)

60. Kooch7800 says:

how many games would this hit be these days….

wasn’t even a penalty in 2008

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

The article is a bit long but if you love Gordie Howe, it will be well worth your time. When I was a boy, I was always #9. Richard, Hull, Bathgate, Bucyk, Duff and Howe ruled the day with that famous number. Today, nothing even comes close.

62. Olympic Goaltender Update
    1. Price
    2. Price
    3. Luongo

Bergevin- Carey step into my office
    Price- Yeah boss
    MB- You’re ruining my build through the draft plan
    Price- Sorry I’m Canadian
    MB- Budja
    P-yeah Boss
    MB- Your starting

OK that’s gold Jerry

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

63. ClutchNGrab says:

With the dollar going down, the Sportsnet TV deal might become a huge headache for Rogers in a few years.

• Habilis says:

Sportsnet’s lack of quality hockey analysts is gonna hurt them as well. TSN has locked up all the real talent. Apparently, Sportsnet threw the kitchen sink at Duthie but TSN matched or exceeded the offer. McKenzie, Dreger, Miller and LeBrun are all staying too. Not sure what they’re gonna do with no hockey, but TSN is definitely doing everything they can to make it tougher on Sportsnet.

Twelve years of Kypreos… Le shudder.

• Habfan17 says:

I had heard they will try to carry more junior and AHL games and keep all the special shows, free agent frenzy, draft day coverage, etc. I think I also heard an agreement to carry some KHL games

Habfan17

• Kooch7800 says:

something tells me they will be able to bring in talent as they have the games. There will always be unemployed coaches and GM’s who can speak intelligently about the game. Really the so called insiders really know jack squat anyway

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• B says:

They might still carry some regional NHL games on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri as well as other hockey leagues. Their WJC coverage is first rate, I am looking forward to it again this year, almost here. They may also pick up some AHL and CHL games, perhaps some NCAA, KHL or other European league games too. It will be interesting to see how things end up next year. It could mean even more hockey coverage than we have ever had before. My worst fear is that costs to view may end up rising too much.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Just a Habs Fan says:

You know the hockey analysts are a bunch of cliche repeaters and if you have the personality and ego ( confidence ) then anyone can be plugged in those slots. Really there are only a few really good sports analysts. I doubt the public will worry too much on whether Dreger is on or not.

64. Steeltown Hab says:

Imagine we had AK46, Ribeiro, and Halpern
    over Briere, Desharnais, Parros…..

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

65. Propwash says:

Hopefully the team gets their legs outta the quicksand and chalk one up for the W column.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

66. stephen says:

A quick shout-out to fellow Kingstonian, Front, whom I hope has been nowhere near the condo inferno downtown.

Hoping you and yours are safe and sound.

67. Mavid says:

oh happy day

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

68. C-Sword says:

Not very optimistic, they lost all confidence after getting destroyed by the Kings, the line juggles also didn’t help. No way in hell are they beating the Blues in St-Louis this Thursday, you don’t know how badly I want to see the Habs finally beat the Blues with Price in net. I never believed they were cup contenders, not even during the winning streak, they’re a decent team with small players, a team that’s lacking a real number one line. Practically, every team has a number one line, but not us.

69. JF says:

I hope we don’t play the way we did against Philly, the Islanders, and the Panthers because we’re unlikely to win if we do. At least in regulation; we might get an OT win or a loser point. In fact, if after 10 minutes I see that we’re playing that way, I’ll stop watching.

AS per RDS, Desharnais is saying that he hasn’t had enough time to form chemistry with Pacioretty yet this season because Patch was injured. This guys is a … (insert adjective).

The sad part is that the team isn’t whole lot better since the Titsyn brothers left.

72. wildwilly says:

Third! Do I get a bronze medal?

73. B says:

Habs last loss to Phoenix was back in 1998, they have 10 wins and three ties since then.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Luke says:

and… jinxed.

Might as well pack it in early folks…

In fact B, you may as well tell us how long it’s been since PHX last shutout Montreal…

• B says:

Wow, sorry to have made you so grumpy.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Luke says:

haha naw I’m just kidding… it seems whenever a slump vs the Habs is pointed out by someone (usually a HNIC or TSN broadcaster) that slump is swiftly ended.

I still remember a stay at home (Sutton, maybe? – edit – Nope.) 6th defenseman for the Isles, a few years ago, they mention in an break that he hasn’t scored a goal in the NHL in like 200 games and then he gets a pair that night vs the Habs.

• B says:

I am very superstitious about not mentioning things like shut outs or no hitters, but I didn’t think pointing out past games (especially when the last game was over 2 years ago, Nov. 10, 2011) would be a jinx move. My bad if the unthinkable happens tonight.

If the team or the players actually do better when bad stuff is pointed out here (rather than when good stuff is pointed out), then things must be looking pretty good for the Habs this season.

–Go Habs Go!–

• shlamiel says:

Habs lose tonite .

74. shiram says:

Premier.
    8g/9a -7 in 37 games is what’s happening to Andrei K.
    Sergei is doing much better with 7g/17a -2 in 39 games.

75. Strummer says:

hey- stole my thunder

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”