Liveblog: Game 30 – First place, baby!

07Maurice-Richard1

Guts!

Playing their third game in four nights against a well-rested Boston tea, the Canadiens gutted out a 2-1 win.

After falling behind on Gregory Camopbell's goal – scored during a first period dominated by the visitors – the Canadiens bounced back.

They outshot the Bruins 17-7 in the middle period and got goals from Tomas Plekanec (his 10th) and Max Pacioretty (11th)

Then it was the Carey Price Show.

With his teammates being beaten on nearly every shift, Price made 16 saves in the last 10 minutes to salt the game away.

The win moved the Canadiens past Boston into first place in the Atlantic Division – but the Bruins have two games in hand.

Price .. again

16 third-period saves protecting a one-goal lead.

He's the best.

Strike back

Which team played last night?

And which has had four days of rest?

The Canadiens outshot Boston 17-7, skated them into the Bell Centre ice and got goals from Tomas Plekanec (his 10th) and Max Pacioretty (11th) to take the lead.

Third period should be fun.

A sombre start

A lot of energy drained out of the game when Boston defenceman Johnny Boychuk was taken into the boards by Max Pacioretty and suffered an injury that required extended medical attention and departure on a stretcher.

The Bruins outshot the Canadiens by an embarrassing margin of 10-3 and got the period's only goal when Milan Lucic split P.K. Subban and Andrei Markov and fed Gregory Campbell for the fourth-liner's second of the season.

The Canadiens' two power plays were worse than Coeur de Pirate's two national anthems.

Them

We don't like the Leafs.

But the Montreal-Toronto "rivalry" has more to do with politics, economics and those anal orifice Leaf-blowers at Hockey Night in Canada than with anything that actually transpires on the ice.

How can you hate a team that hasn't won squat in 47 years? Have mercy on them, peeps, for they know not decent hockey.

With Boston, the bad blood is genuine ... and not infrequently spilled on the playing surface.

More recent iterations: Milan Lucic destroying Mike Komisarek, Gregory Campbell using a loose elbow pad to carve up Tom Pyatt, Zdeno Chara running Max Pacioretty into a Bell Centre stanchion.

This ain't Carolina or Florida at the Bell Centre Thursday night.

Stuff is REAL.

Puck drops 7:40ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

• Lines and pairings for the Bruins: Lucic-Krejci-Iginla, Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson, Smith-Kelly-Soderberg, Paille-Campbell-Thornton – Chara-Boychuk, Seidenberg-Hamilton, Bartkowski-Miller and Krug as seventh D

1,378 Comments

1. habnonymous1 says:

See Facebook.com/Jagrmeister, they are running a contest with grand prize of three nights in Montreal + tickets to ‘a hockey game’.
    I’m not on Facebook, just saw this on a collar tag on Jagr bottle and don’t know many details but it looks like it is in conjunction with Igloofest 2014 which runs from Jan 16 – Feb 8.

Assuming the ‘hockey game’ involves the Habs, potential matchups are Washington, Carolina, Tampa, Calgary, Winnipeg , and Vancouver.

2. Un Canadien errant says:

I hate the equivalence people are making of Brendan Gallagher to Brad Marchand. Sure, they’re both small-ish forwards, and both can score, but that’s where the similarities end. Brendan is relentless and always buzzes around the opposition net, and digs for the puck until the whistle blows. As a result, he gets more than his share of crosschecks and facewashes, and unimaginative hockey analysts have labelled him a pest. He’s nothing but, in fact he’s a gentlemanly player and good guy who works very hard. He’s not the ‘antagonist who gets under your skin’, like so many are trying to peg him as, to hammer the square peg into the round hole, since every player must fit into an archetype: checking forward, playmaking centre, defensive defenceman, puck-moving defenceman, …

Meanwhile Brad Marchand has no honour, he cheats and lies, he spears and slew-foots and goes for opponents’ knees, and does so because he has a legion of Orcs to save his bacon. He gets under opponents’ skins because he’s a creep and a thug and cheapshot artist and a yapper. I wouldn’t want him on our team, despite the goals. And the thing is, his conduct, fostered and encouraged as a Bruin, would be unacceptable in Montréal. He might have had a shot if he’d played here to be a decent player that you can respect. Instead, he wallows in the cesspool that the NHL excretes by its refusal to clean up the game, and to showcase its stars rather than the pluggers and fourth-liners and assorted other Don Cherry favourites.

Also, Brendan Gallagher is a class act from a good family who’s a great ambassador for the team and was universally liked when he played for the Giants. Meanwhile, we know what a dirtbag Brad Marchand is, and the stories circling around him in Boston and from his home town.

So let’s stop the comparisons between the two, they’re demeaning to Brendan and they cloud rather than illuminate the issue. Brendan Gallagher is a fine young man and a reputable and respectable hockey player. Brad Marchand is anything but.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• Marc10 says:

I have both in my hockey pool. Marchand is failing me badly. He should lay off the sauce in the off season. Gally of course has been full value.

• sevenman says:

No self-respecting Hab fan would ever take Marchand or any Bruin or Leaf for that matter in any pool.

_________________________________

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hear, hear.

Picking Brad Marchand never needs to happen. It’s not a situation like you have the #1 overall pick, and you HAVE to take Wayne Gretzky or LaDainian Tomlinson. On a good year, Brad Marchand will get you thirty goals, but so will a brace of other guys still available, so you get David Backes or Taylor Hall instead. You never, NEVER paint yourself into a corner and find yourself having to cheer for a Bruin on your hockey pool or fantasy team.

Er, Patrice Bergeron excepted, but that was a special case, and I really had no choice, my opponents were numbskulls and had left him unclaimed way too long, that boy made me some money, took me all the way to the Finals.

So to recap, you never draft Bruins, or Leafs (except for Joffrey Lupul last year, another special case, he was blowing up and just sitting there on waivers, what was I supposed to do?), or Raiders, or Ravens. Period. Except for Anquan Boldin a couple years ago, he’s a good guy. He’s a special case.

• Marc10 says:

That’s a lot of special cases…

So what do you do with the Flyers? Clearly they’re not an exception. And then the perennial Hab killers a la Martin F? Or what about John Scott? He’s a giant a-hole but he did beat up Thornton? And Michael Ryder? Do we hate him for being a floater who didn’t show up when it mattered last year? Mikey Ribs… Douche for sure, but what happens if I need a third center and there’s nothing left? Grabovski… same deal, eh? Dan Boyle in San Jose and Marty St Louis are both on record as never wanting to play in Montreal… Mike Richards the same. I guess those guys are a big ‘no’. How do we feel about Bertuzzi?

I’m going to need a list of acceptable exceptions…

• Un Canadien errant says:

You don’t touch the Flyers, they’re poison, the Anti-Christs.

Unless it’s for all around good guy Simon Gagné, he gets an exemption…

• Marc10 says:

I’m agnostic when it comes to my pool. I used to stay away from players I hated and it cost me. I do try to avoid Chara and Marchand as a rule, but if they’re the best player available when my turn rolls around I grin and bear it.

I get enough shtick from the guys in my pool when this does occur… but thanks for weighing in.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good piece, but who’s saying it? God love them! The only comparable is height.

And you can add this: Gallagher plays with something akin to joy. It’s something you can see. What you see in Marchand is someone habitually contemplating an outrage.

• VerdunHab says:

Was that even from behind?

Belleville Bulls
    SNAPSHOT: Jordan Subban beats Ken Appleby for the shootout winner in Wednesday’s 3-2 win over Oshawa at the Yardmen Arena (Photo: Don Carr)

Sorry I could not bring up the link to post!

4. Bill says:

Et Le but: Never mind, he’s on a roll.

Did that really fly by you or are you joshing?

5. Storman says:

Hello my fellow Habtonians, time is near, so Steve Shutt the door take a big Darren Puppa, maybe even even wax your Mike Peca what ever it takes to relax and get back to the sofa,, as Bruce Buffer will soon say IT’S Timeeeeeeee

6. Dunboyne Mike says:

It is my custom before games vs Boston to suggest that every (ok, nearly every) Habs forward hit Chara, even if they bounce off.

He hates hit. He looks like he believes he is the lone member of a higher hockey caste with whom all lower castes are forbidden to make physical contact. So he hates it, and I believe his self-righteous anger puts him off his game.

Furthermore, while I know Gionta and Pleks will hit him, despite the unequal physics, I would like to see Parros in his face any time he’s on the ice. I doubt Chara would wish to fight him (not out of fear, obviously, but because of what a bad deal it would be for Boston for those two to be in the box), which should surely mean Parros could afford to pile him into the boards repeatedly.

That’s a) my untutored view; and b) what I would enjoy seeing.

Is there a snag, oh wise ones?

7. donmarco says:

Some of us are getting nervous.

We need an inspirational speech.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor????

HIO Summit party at Hurley’s Pub, October 2013, and new pictures of our HIO family. Click onto the photo pic button once you get to the site below.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

Lots of HI/O fans love to hate the Bruins but these things I know to be true:
    - GM Peter Chiarelli is one smart dude. He’s made some very astute trades. He certainly tops any recent Hab GM.
    - Claude Julien is a solid coach. Nine years of winning seasons plus a Cup win and a Cup final that should have been a win except for the Seguin/Jagr misfiring.
    - Tuukka Rask is an elite goalie. One of the best in the league.
    - the Bruins are the champs of 2nd round picks. Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand (3rd) lead the way.
    - the team plays a system based on defense, discipline and teamwork. They deliver it with a very tough, hard nosed style.
    - they have the best 4th line in the East which means they basically don’t have a 4th line. That’s a huge advantage.
    - Marchand is a scumbag and in some ways so is Chara. Having said that I’d love to have Lucic and Boychuk on my team. Give me those two and the Habs are ready to contend with Chicago and LA for the Cup.
    - the team is always able to spend up to the cap. In today’s NHL that’s an advantage even before the puck is ever dropped.
    - they are an experienced team but also have at least 7 good young players/prospects under the age of 22.
    - their only weakness is their Achilles Heel, an anemic powerplay. If they can somehow fix that, then they could well be on their way to another Cup final. That would be their third in five years. Not too shabby.

I love my Habs but I totally respect what the Bruins bring – even though I hate a few of their players.

• Max_a_million says:

Remember how they were minutes from all being fired. Cam Neely was seething. Chiarelli was hiding in the box, and Julien was sweating on the bench. Then the Habs let them out of it.

• SteverenO says:

Its hard to call BostonPP (this season , anyway) “anemic”.

Montreal scores a PP goal every 7.2 minutes when on with the man advantage (5 vs4) and Boston scores every 8.8 minutes.

Using two minutes as the baseline the Habs are successful 27.6% and the Bruins are succeeding at a 22.8% rate, The difference is about one goal every 20 powerplays.

The Capitals ,just for comparison, purposes are at a 35.5% rate and the hapless Panthers are “batting ” .100 (10%)

regards,

Steve O.

• 24 Cups says:

I’m talking historically. It’s been a problem over the past few years. If it’s firing come playoff time, then look out, they could go to the final.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great catalogue, 24.

Agree on all except wanting Lucic. Lack of class too big a factor. Do like Boychuk, though (and plenty of others).

Their record speaks for itself. But if they should have won the Cup they lost, they should have lost the Cup they won, because they did it with the league’s assistance.

(No! Of course, I have no concrete evidence! But I believe it.)

Enjoy the game! We’re perhaps not ready to establish a new order, but we are surely in a position to give them a run for their money.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Bruins suck

;)

• Marc10 says:

IMO, the biggest lifeline Chiarelli ever got was the Marc Savard concussion. He sank stupid money on Savard. Then Matt Cooke comes along and lets him out of jail for free.

Without that they probably never sign Horton or some of the other free agents they managed to lock up for their Colin Campbell sponsored cup run.

The Kessel trade and the signing of Chara though… Full marks. Of course they just screwed up with Tyler Seguin… and he did sign Kaberle for a playoff run too. Can’t win them all, eh.

10. Danno says:

Hey look!

Claude Julien now has his own brand of embellish mints:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

11. Orr4 says:

Second prediction: Canadiens get the first power play!

12. Max_a_million says:

hmmm …

13. I was subbing today and made a bet with a teacher down the hall, who’s a Bruins fan. She sent some students down with her jersey and a note. I drew up this little sketch that’s now my avatar. Not bad since I was looking after a rowdy group of grade 3′s who’ve already checked out for Christmas. ;)

*Edit* Hmmm. I’ve changed the avatar on Gravatar but it didn’t update. Maybe it takes a little while? Anyway, it’s G rated so it shouldn’t take too long.

**Second Edit** Okay, I just had to restart my browser. Oops. Go Habs Go!!!

Defense wins championships

14. Looking forward to seeing Montreal play their game and not get caught up in the goofing and Marchand weaseling game. Wish someone would take that little P*icks knee out, despite not liking any one getting hurt. He’s different.

We need a strong first period and then skate like the wind and let them try to catch us. Net presence and peskiness too.

As for the Gahden, gentlemen, I lived in Bean town for three years and wasn’t overly impressed. It is a student based town on one side and a rough and tumble, racist bigoted lot on the other. I had my tires slashed in the parking lot because I had a Canadiens sock monkey hanging from the rear view mirror and a beer hurled at me when I stood up and cheered at a Canadiens goal.

While I’m sure the majority of Boston residents aren’t bone headed neanderthals, when you ask a Boston cop for directions, his response will likely be; “if you don’t know where you are then you should leave”. Nice, helpful considerate people they are not. Funny that they now reside in the Canadian owned TD Center, chuckle!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

15. Orr4 says:

Been waiting for this one for a while.
    My first prediction of the night is Subban tries to go tough-guy on Torey Krug.

16. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m seeing some people refer to Zdeno Chara’s “attack” and “mugging” of Alexei Emelin. While he did clearly instigate the fight with a smaller, unwilling combatant, we can’t leave out the piece about how a few seconds earlier, Alexei had crosschecked Tyler Seguin in the back so hard that he broke his stick. So while I hate the Bruins and Zdeno Chara, and I hate the asymmetrical warfare employed in the NHL, where the Bruins’ huge players pick on smaller players, but refuse to fight the enforcers like George Laraque since he’s a fourth-liner and they’re ‘too important’ to their team’s success to spend five minutes in the penalty box, in this specific case, Alexei doesn’t really have the colour of right. If Alexei had hit Tyler Seguin with a clean check, there would be no question that Zdeno Chara was out of bounds, but with such a blatant crosscheck, Alexei has to expect that kind of response in today’s NHL.

———————————————————————–

17. slyCH says:

There was one time when I decided not to wear Hab colors at the garden. Game 7 1994, I was two rows behind Hab bench and went alone. I dreaded climbing up and down the stairs and being harassed to no end. And what if we won? It would have been a long walk to the car. I wore a blank t with a Houston Oilers cap.

18. Danno says:

Come on! Drop the puck!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

19. smiler2729 says:

While I hate the Bruins and their fans, I at least can grudgingly respect them, I can’t say the same for Laff Nation.

Nevertheless, I hope the Habs absolutely cream the Bruins, make Tuukka break his stick over his crossbar.

P.S. I only read it for a cheap National Enquirer thrill but geez, Eklund lol… he cracks me up.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

20. SteverenO says:

looking for a couple of people to be partners in a hockey based biz.

If interested, email me at hockeybiz.project AT gmail.com

regards,

Steve O.

21. Danno says:

“It always seems impossible until it is done.” – Nelson Mandela

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

22. Bill says:

So are we looking for a win tonight? Or mainly just to make a statement, win or lose?

• Edman says:

a win, but i wont be blowing the team up or firing the coach if we lose, busy week

• SteverenO says:

What kind of a statement can we make by losing?

If we win the fights, but lose the game it won’t be much of a statement because we would be demonstrating that although we can “stand up” to them physically we are not good enough to beat them even when we are on a “hot streak”.

The day after the game nobody remembers, or cares, (except the fighters themselves) who won the fight(s) but everyone will care about the two points in the standings.

It’s interesting how some of us fans don’t mind losing the game for the sake of winning some physical “who’s more macho”contest, yet everyone is so concerned about playing a rookie with talent like tinordi Beaulieu and Leblanc , because they may make a mistake and cost the team a win.

THis nonsense about shuffling Murray and Bouillon in and out of the lineup is just plain silly. When are we going to see if we have someone who can ,make the team better.

Last year it was decided in the last week of the season that Tinordi was a key ingredient. Now is the time to see if we have any youngsters (including Bournival) that can actually make us better by playing a regular shift)

I cannot be the only who thinks that Moen playing 15+ minutes per game While Bournival plays 6 minutes is the best option.

Of all the guys to be “double shifted” I don’t believe that Moen is the best choice

regards,

Steve O.

23. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Stuck at work late…will miss the game…@$$%^$&…at least Habs will win because of karma.

24. Bill says:

Yeah I would play white too. Parros, Bournival, Moen … well that’s an odd line.

A goon, a grinder, and a skilled rookie walk into a bar .,,

25. Bill says:

Dipsy: Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

26. Mick says:

It must be hard for White to sit this one out.
    MT. Really does make me think he hates White.
    Any body else think White should play?

27. DipsyDoodler says:

“For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”

- Nelson Mandela.

28. DipsyDoodler says:

I’ve had a few drinks and I’m looking for a fight. Any takers?

29. Fansincebirth says:

Every time we play these Neanderthals, I get a bad feeling in my gut. Not just the possibility for a loss but for injury. Everything from Prust ripping his shoulder apart AGAIN to one of our guys getting run and injured from a ‘hockey play’. There is no love lost between the two teams or the fans.

Someone asked if I would ever go see the Habs play in Boston. Are you freaking nuts? Never, never, never, value my life too much for that.

• slyCH says:

I’ve been to the old garden many many times, everytime the Habs a visitor and me in Hab colors. I’m still here.

• FlyAngler says:

The new garden crowd is different. Fifty percent or so seem to be young derelicts looking for a fight with opposition fans. I used to go, but won’t any more.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Rugger says:

I went to one game there, home opening night vs the Habs. They handed out plastic Stanley cups to the whole crowd. Saku was still with us, and the Habs won it with 10 seconds left. I think my plastic Stanley Cup was the only one not thrown on the ice at that moment.

• VerdunHab says:

I get the same feeling in my gut. Really and truly hate pretty much everything about the Bruins. I’m just hoping that we get out of this game unscathed to be honest. Anything beyond that will be a bonus in my opinion.

• Propwash says:

Apparently, some Bruins fans peed on Habs fans in the stands a few years ago.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• crabvader says:

One of my good friends, who happens to be from Malden, MA. attends many a Bruins game and is somehow a Habs fan.

He wears his Habs toque and Koivu jersey every time he goes and not once has he entered into an altercation with someone at the GAHDEN.

• Pure-Pak says:

First game I ever saw was at the old Garden in 1968. Tony Esposito was in goal for the Habs. I sat up in the rafters with the gallery gods and their cigars. I definitely got some looks for wearing my Habs sweater. But, when Ralph Backstrom scored a beautiful goal on a great individual effort, the gallery gods actually applauded. Of course, the Bs were winning, and eventuially won 7-5. Still, I got the impression these tough guys weren’t so bad after all.

Pure-Pak

30. Strabo says:

RIP Mr. Nelson Mandela

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

31. D Mex says:

Many thanks to all who provided counsel earlier today on acceptable vocabulary in case I felt the need to describe the Bs coach.
    The inputs touched on historic context (arrrrsehole – used by my Scottish grandmother in the 20th century) and versatility (a-hole captures so many possibilities). All very useful.
    As fate would have it, I DO feel the need to describe Mr Julien, so went to the beer fridge in the garage to grab a libation before sitting down to assemble the thought.

And there it was … the word to capture all that the whiney sad sack represents … the perfect descriptor. Timeless, versatile, and one that my dear granny used with authorrrity whenever she walloped my poor grandpa (ferrr chrise sake claude !) …

Julien is a tool.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

32. FlyAngler says:

Just got into town from Beantown for the game tonight. I do not want to see a good game. I just want the Habs to put that big effing bear on a big spit and roast him until he is crisp all the way through. Because I live in the shadows of the evil empire, I loathe the Bruins far more than the Leafs and Zedeno Chara to me is Darth Vader- evil incarnate. Hopefully, good will triumph tonight and evil will be crushed and vanquished.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

There is something about a good looking lady playing a cello in a skirt.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Tommy Beecham, the great conductor, once said to a woman in his orchestra’s cello section, “Madam you have between your legs something that can give great pleasure, and all you do is scratch at it.”

(Or something – too lazy to google)

34. Danno says:

Is Parros in or not?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

35. CH Marshall says:

Haha Boone, “Stuff is REAL” !

I haven’t been keeping track, but I think DD’s outscored Gomez at this point..

36. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

I hope for a moment of silence tonight followed by a hockey game free from nonsense. Let us all be ruled by our better angels, not just tonight, but for ever.

37. Bripro says:

It’s confirmed… Parros is in.

38. jols101 says:

Just got home. Going to do some stretches to get ready for this battle. Ist in the Atlantic is up for grabs.
    Go Habs Go!!!

39. Bill says:

Old Bald Bird: I have known a few decent Leafs fan. By and large they are from another generation. The Leafs fans under thirty that I know are pretty much all cocky blockheads. I feel like they are trying to be Bruins fans and failing miserably. Could be just random chance.

Bruins fans are almost always pseudo-macho idiots who seem to believe that they, themselves, are Milan Lucik.

Although ironically, my best friend of twenty-five years is a Bruins fan. Go figure!

• Timo says:

My brother in law is a bruins fan. I need a new family.

• slyCH says:

My friend called me to watch the game at the bar. Boston Bob. Yup, he’s from Springfield. Just got back on the Island after a year. Good guy but if I go to the bar to watch it means NESN and being subjected to Jerk Edwards commenting on every Hab fall as a dive while Ratchand can do a perfect double flip 10 dive and Jerk calling it a legitimate trip. I’m gonna watch my RDS feed at home thank you very much.

40. slyCH says:

Coming back from the gym I noticed a lady struggling with her motorized wheelchair cart on the bike path so I stopped, loose connection, and she told me 15 people went by before I stopped to help. I told her must be because I’m Canadian, she had a good chuckle and I was on my way. I tell you boys, the ride home by the ocean just seemed more meaningful from there. The setting sun reflected off the clouds in a pink fushia hue that would leave God breathless. Pelicans winked at me, wading Herons stopped fishing to give me a friendly wave, the drunk homeless made way for me with haste so not to slow my pace, girls cat called me. I tell you folks, I think we’re gonna win tonight.

41. chilehabfan says:

R.I.P. Nelson Mandela.

Rocking Rod
    @thepitradioshow

42. Ali says:

Sad day for humanity with the death of Nelson Mandela. A shining light put out.

43. Old Bald Bird says:

In my mind there is a real Montreal-Toronto hockey rivalry. I hate losing to the Leafs more than any other team. It’s my history and I’m sticking with it.

Oddly enough, I don’t hate Toronto or the Leafs (in some sense). It’s just that I don’t want to lose to them. Leaf fans are fine — the same as any others. Some of the classiest people I have known are Leaf fans.

44. chilehabfan says:

Greetings my fellow Canadien’s fans. Let’s hope the tank is not empty tonight. Hoping the Habs get the two points against a well-rested (hopefully rusty) team. A Habs win tonight, combined with the draw for the World Cup tomorrow should make for a fun few hours. Enjoy the game. GO HABS! GO CHILE!

45. Bripro says:

So I was driving my grandson’s mother to the hospital today
    (no, she’s not dating my son, the father….stop interrupting)
    when she mentioned “So…. big game tonight (oh yeah, she’s a Bruins’ fan)”
    Yup
    “Think your Habs have a chance?”
    Not just a chance. They’re breathing down your guys’ necks.
    “Pffft. That won’t last.”
    Pretty cocky considering we could be first tomorrow.
    ” The Habs just aren’t built to last against us.”
    Yup, which is why it took 7 games and OT to determine that. Oh and by the way, did you see the new Habs jersey Lisa bought for your son?
    ……. silence. It was golden. :D

46. D Man says:

I know and understand the Habs/Bruins rivalry but having been raised in Southern Ontario amid basically nothing but Leaf fans and still today being subject to their unbelievable arrogance in spite of 47 yrs. of futility, I will never feel the same “hate” for any other team. I remember hoping that Harold Ballard would allow the Leafs to play the Soviets in the 60′s and 70′s so I could cheer for the USSR. I will never “have mercy on them”!
    Go Habs Go
    You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• Old El Pozzo says:

D Man, I am in complete agreement with that sentiment. Having lived in both Northern and Southern Ontario, I have seen more than my fair share of unwarranted, in-your-face Leafs fandom. It grows tiresome. The only reprieve I have is the games we beat them. That, and my daily glance at the division standings.

Don’t get me wrong. Beating the Bruins feels damn good. Especially on days like this one, with first place (temporarily) on the line. However, bad blood and recent history notwithstanding, I would rather take those 2 points from Toronto any day of the week.

Something about the undeserved and unconditional pride in a losing franchise among the majority of hockey “fans” in my area is enough to make me sick on most days. That’s why, without fail, every game we beat Toronto is worth two wins against Boston. At least that’s the case for me–in Ontario. I can definitely understand hating Boston above all else if you’re not subject to the daily stupidity of the common Leafs fan, though.

For tonight, however, there’s no enemy more putrid than the Bruins.

GO HABS GO!

Fire it up, get ‘er goin’. Grind it up, Travis Moen.

47. Rugger says:

A very sad day, just saw that Nelson Mandela has died. Finally rest in peace Mr. Mandela!

48. Dunboyne Mike says:

Oh Krob1000!

That is an absolutely beautiful post! (about your 5-yr-old).

Enjoy, man!

49. Un Canadien errant says:

Thank you Mr. Boone for that intro, it’s right on the money, as usual.

There is no Canadiens-Leafs rivalry, that’s like saying the Titanic has a rivalry with the iceberg, or mosquitoes have one with windshields. What there is is a lot of hype coming from Toronto, with a team that’s trying to acquire some of the prestige of another by claiming to be in the same class. We have a storied team with a history of success, they embody organizational failure and ineptitude. Leafs fans aren’t even smart enough to understand that their team is a joke, and that the joke has been on them since before the Harold Ballard era.

The Bruins though are truly a menace, they embody evil, lawlessness, violence as a means to an end. They must be routed.

———————————————————————–

• mrhabby says:

I live in the GTA..Most Leaf fans hate the Ballard era and most of the history since then..there not all stupid..

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cela, c’est une grande cuillère, mon vieux!

There are, of course, plenty of sentient Leafs fans. One of them wrote that brilliant dissection of the club, “Leaf Abomination” (Dave Feschuk).

Obviously, the worst Leafs fans are the loudest ones, and that includes all those impartial professionals who work for HNIC and TSN.

50. Luke says:

Well folks, in 10 minutes I’ll be at the pub with my buddy the Bruins fan (obsessed) enjoying our pre-game ritual.

We always have a couple on a game night. Complain about each others team, while still being respectful, and how the Leafs are so brutal as a franchise and a fan base that it’s laughable.

I’m just hoping that the Habs can pull this tough one out. The stars are not in their favour, due the schedule, but it’s my birthday eve and I want a win. So screw the schedule and screw the Bruins!

(and screw the Leafs!)

• donmarco says:

Happy Birthday, Luke. I’ll be watching with a mate as well, but since he’s also a Hab fan, the only victim will be the bottle of vodka I’m bringing. All the best.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Many happy returns, Luke. And enjoy your brews tonight.

I’m actually going to bed now and getting up for the face-off (a little after half-past midnight). I will be watching alone at a laptop, a winter scarf wrapped tightly around my mouth so that the helpful instructions I offer to players and coaches from both teams don’t disrupt the sleep of my family and neighbourhood.

Happy birthday! Hope you get what we ALL want!

• frontenac1 says:

Bonne Fête Luke! Enjoy the game amigo.

51. Cal says:

Let there be a moment of silence and reflection for one of the greatest men of this and any era: Nelson Mandela.

The world is diminished by his absence.

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

Bill, great point (previous thread) about Parros’s function. Code-Dances are perhaps understandable against most teams, but not against the ones that represent the greatest physical challenge, and Boston tops that list.

That said, when we hope that Parros discourages and or punishes any Bruin who takes liberties, we are hoping for more than a big hit. We are hoping someone gets taken out — either for a few minutes in the box, or else on a stretcher. Our self-righteous raging about how Boston plays compels us to desire that Montreal play just like them. Once we reach that point we are no longer in any position to complain about the Bruins.

My preference would be simply to see Emelin and Murray making life really unpleasant for Bruins in our zone. That I would love to see. That has been missing from Habs-Bruins games for quite a while. Let us continue to beat them with speed and skill on offense, but let’s also ensure a horrible night for their forwards in our end.

• SteverenO says:

@ Mike.

I concur with you.The best way to beat the Bruins is to score more than they do. Anything else is irrelevant.

Our special teams are only slightly ahead of theirs, so a penalty-filled game is not really to our advantage. My guess is that they will target our top players, Subban, Markov, Pacioretty and try to get them in the box.

I’d like to see PK and Emelin catch a Bruin or two with their head down, but the fighting, does not help us win.

regards,

Steve O.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha ha! Steve O! The best way to beat anyone, in fact!

But I know what you’re saying.

And if we score a couple, I hope we don’t attempt to “protect the lead”. There is surely no team in the league right now more comfortable with playing catch-up than the Bruins. Just keep scoring! (Which will also lead to indiscretions, the possibility — assuming the ref’s ok — of PPs).

Enjoy!

53. naweed235 says:

Does anybody else think that Rask looks like a creepy doll?

54. ProHabs says:

HOnestly guys, I would be OK with the Habs dressing White and Bouillon also and would be OK with the Habs not caring about winning this game.

I would love to see the Habs make this a statement game against the Bruins, like they did to us years ago in the fight filled game.

Would love to see the Habs tough players jump any Bruin and beat them to a pulp.

55. Bill says:

Question about Maurice “Rocket” Richard for any of the old-timers here … or the history buffs I guess:

Was his famous nickname “Rocket” used by francophone Quebecers? Or did they use something else?

Seems to me that Richard was a symbol of Quebec for many francophones … would be odd if they used his English nickname to identify him.

Just wondering.

Full Breezer 4 Life

56. Danno says:

Nelson Mandela is dead.

The world has lost a great man.

May he rest in peace.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

57. Les-Habitants says:

According to John Lu of TSN fame, our 4th line will be:

Moen – Bournival – Parros (with White sitting).
    Rest of the lines are the same, while on D Murray takes Cube’s spot

Let’s go boys!!!

58. Danno says:

Does anyone know if there was ever a player on the Habs with pro boxing experience?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

59. ProHabs says:

Forget Parros vs. Thornton. Would love to see Gerald Gallant go at it with Claude Julien tonight.

60. Sportfan says:

Parros and Murray are in tonight right?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Bill says:

Roster not announced but all signs point to yes.

They should just go Full Breezer and replace Diaz with Bouillon as well. And put in White for Bournival.

Go big or stay home.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Luke says:

Put White in for Briere, not Bournival… Briere’s an old old man 38! (OMG! So old!)

Bill, I’d go for a beer with Parros. He really seems likeable, and though I don’t like the role, I think his pleasantness has won me over that’s why, despite my aversion to goonery, I’ve said for the last couple of weeks, we should find some icetime for him.

61. DipsyDoodler says:

Two good fight related memories re: Boston are seeing Mike Milbury get utterly destroyed by Larry Robinson once and another time by (and this is not a typo) Stephane Richer. You can google it (I’m on a train and can’t stream video) – he ragdolled him.

• Bill says:

? Stephane Richer was well-known as an awesome fighter. He dropped pretty much everyone he tangled with, to the point where most guys didn’t want to fight with him. He was a big dude, and unlike a lot of NHL enforcers, a natural fighter.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• ProHabs says:

IF I remember correctly, Richer could really throw the lefts.

• Caesar says:

he threw fast and hard and was almost impossible to tie up. You didn’t expoect that from a guy with great hands. I can remeber him fighting someone from Washington I think where the opposing player gets hit about 10 times in succession.

• VancouverHab says:

John Ferguson aside, I loved Kordic.

But my favourite pure fighter on the Habs was Malakov: he didn’t fight often because he was almost unbeatable–skill, speed, timing, balance, reach, power.

• Bill says:

And Malakhov was one of the biggest players in the NHL during his time. Just a massive guy. So much talent and so little desire … he was frustrating!

Full Breezer 4 Life

62. frontenac1 says:

What a great picture there eh amigos! Look at the Rocket,just Look at him. That’s the CH. Nothing more to say. Vas-y Les Boys!

63. ProHabs says:

I have been looking forward to this game for a week. Lets go Habs. Teach the Bruins a lesson

64. Rugger says:

My daughter the Bruins fan (yes, I am shamed – damn her Fiance!) called this afternoon just to talk because she knows that after tonight one or the other of us will not be talking to the other for a few days.

• naweed235 says:

It is only logical to assume that she is now disowned?

• Habfan10912 says:

Bripro has a son who’s a Bruin fan as well. Perhaps you guys can form a support group, “Parents of Bruins Fans”. Or maybe go in together for an attorney to change your wills?

• Rugger says:

She will be getting my Habs stuff (scarf, banner, button, hat etc) just to rub it in.

• krob1000 says:

How? How does this happen? I think you missed your opportunity early…I have created a HAbs monster. He is 5 years old and draws Hab goalies constantly, plays imaginary games with Macfarlne figures, knows the Habs schedule, players numbers, sits around watching the 1986 cup win on the anniversary collection (by himself…sometimes I come home and he has put that on his portable dvd player and is sitting there watching it).
        HE makes me draw Habs symbols on his toaster strudels, fights to stay up for every game (usually only let him have a period or two…occasional whole game on a Sat if he has no hockey himself). i will get home today and he will be wearing blue shorts over track pants to look like Hab pants…he’ll demand I play hockey with him in the basement, we’ll eat, he’ll then ask me to play…but tonight I can’t as i have to take my older boy to his hockey. He will then instead play a full hockey game by himself (habs vs Habs with full body contact included…he seriously throws himself all over as Subban being hit by…you guess it ..Subban). HE will then get bored of that and then go play a game or shootout in NHL 13 ..as the Habs.

For anyone out there…you must develop them early or risk the consequences! “Habs” was one of his first words…Sponges..they are sponges…please develop these fans early so as to prevent these other tragedies.

Our hearts are with you parents of Bruin or Leafs fans and may they one day turn themselves around.

Thinking of You,
        Habs fan

• frontenac1 says:

Hey Jim, do you think the electorate found out Brian was harboring a Bruin Fan? He should have won that race. No other explanation?

65. jamman says:

Rask has a horrible track record at the Bell center. Lets hope he keeps that up

So what you’re saying, Boone, is that …

67. spos080808 says:

Here in Boston the reports are that Krug will in fact play tonight, so we shall see.

As for the Habs lineup, I dislike how the Habs continue to conform to what the other team is putting on the ice.

I can understand putting Murray in as the 6th Dman to bring in some pop and solid PK, but the 4th line, I hate it.

Playing its 6th game in 9 nights, 3rd in 4 nights and 2nd of a back to back is putting Parros in to play 4 minutes really worth it? I say NO, NO, NO. This team is going to be tired and will need to roll these lines, yet MT is putting the team at a huge disadvantage, especially since the Bruins 4th line playing 8-11 minutes per player and yes, that includes its goon, Thornton.

The Habs should have gone with a 3rd line of: Galchenyuk-Eller-Bournival and a 4th of Moen-White-Prust.

Are you telling me that 4th line cannot play 10 solid minutes of hockey and drop the gloves if they HAVE to?

The Habs strength is skill and speed, so play to your strength, not play toward Bostons toughness. In fact, when you look at Boston, who on the team other than Lucic, Chara, Thornton and maybe Boychuk can be considered tough? Good, if Lucic and Chara want to fight, let them. Gets their best players off the ice.

But, this is why I am not a coach in the NHL I suppose. HaHa

68. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Sixth, seventh, or eighth!

69. habsfan0 says:

“How can you hate a team that hasn’t won squat in 47 years? Have mercy on them, peeps, for they know not decent hockey.”

Rob Ford seems to like the Laffs.

70. Sportfan says:

Diaz, Pleks, Patches, Subban, Price, Markov and Emelin all have a shot of making their Olympic teams. I don’t like how four of our dman could possibly not have the two week rest that others would get.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

71. Luke says:

7:40 start… or as I like to call it… “Time for one more pint at the pub.”

72. sCOTT1243 says:

Lets talk goonery for tonight, since its Boston. Here’s what I’d like to see:

1) First one to cross check Gally in front of the net after the whistle, gets jumped.

2) First one who decides to get too close to Price, gets jumped.

3) First one to take a cheapshot on PK, Eller, Galch, Pleks, actually anyone for that matter, gets jumped.

That should keep Parros, Prust, Moen and White busy.

Other that that play smart and win! :)

73. Sportfan says:

First to say GO HABS GO!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

74. wjc says:

Gomez is rich, rich, rich and he does not care if you like him. He has Millions and millions and millions of dollars and is set for the rest of his life. Can you say the same. I would rather be called names then be poor.

wjc

75. wjc says:

Do you know what poor is? Do you know what rich is ? Do you know what filthy rich is? Do you know what ridiculously filthy rich is?

Call me a ‘fanboy’ if you like (not very original) but it is better then a ‘jealous hate monger’. Get over Gomez already, he moved on, the world moved on, the Canadiens moved on and you are stuck with that burr up you ass.

wjc

76. Danno says:

I presume there will be a moment of silence in the great man’s honour before the game tonight.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

77. SKHab says:

That was a given even before the hit.

78. habs-fan-84 says:

my thoughts exactly.

79. D Mex says:

I think what you meant to say was :
    - Does this mean MaxPac will be on the receiving end of another outstanding hockey play by Chara ?

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

80. twilighthours says:

Please stop

81. habnonymous1 says:

“by EasternOntarioHabsFan on 2013-12-05 19:42:42
    In honour of Mandela, I will do my very best to refrain from vitrol and negativity tonight, unless it gets REALLY ugly. ”

9 minutes and 42 seconds. You refrained for 9:42 !!

82. LeGrosBill says:

If it is he’s really selling it.

83. Mavid says:

yep..I would be worried

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

84. habsfaninboston says:

Fair weather fan?

85. twilighthours says:

The computer too? Please?

86. Edman says:

classless comment, grow up

87. habnonymous1 says:

by EasternOntarioHabsFan on 2013-12-05 19:42:42

Your vitriol and negative count is approx 5 after one period.

88. crabvader says:

The fact that it was not a Hab on the stretcher certainly is a relief, but I am not relieved that someone had to be carted off the ice.

I don’t know why you are…

You shouldn’t admit it.

I like a good hit. That was a freak accident. It’s never good to see an athlete or person get injured. For any reason. I don’t hate any Bruin either. Yes, Marchand is a dirt bag but whatever.

The crap that happened to Max is over and done. I saw some stupid weird irony that it was him who dealt the blow.

However, I wonder about Max’ tai-chi power because the way he added that little shoulder twist seemed to completely unhinge Boychuck’s equilibrium so that he hit the board awkwardly.

To feel some kind of satisfaction for Boychuck’s injury is a path I would caution you to not follow.

90. crabvader says:

That’s exactly the bully/coward mentality.

They aren’t worth the spit and in this case, the digital muscle you wasted writing about them.

Completely agree with you though.

91. Edman says:

so? it’s never good to see ANYONE leave the game on a stretcher.

92. Edman says:

no it’s not, did the Bruins run at Patches because of the hit? no, sad that the Bruins have more class right now than you…think about that

Well said. Cheers!

94. duffy says:

Don’t worry Julian’s preaching that to them right now .

Yes. But for every bully/coward there is the-guy-who-gets-picked on/coward. I think the 97 pound weakling who got sand kicked in his face got his copy of Ben Weider weight lifting exercises.

96. Et le but says:

Dude, it’s 1 effing nothing…chill

97. JM says:

Take a pill. The Habs are a tired team playing a rested team.

98. Et le but says:

Playing on fumes and pride…

99. twilighthours says:

It wasn’t funny the first time

100. +1

Defense wins championships

101. monmick says:

I would not trade Tinordi for him, that’s for sure…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

102. Et le but says:

It was Iginla…not a push-over

103. Marc10 says:

If he stays in shape, I could see him as a 7th man as the kids start to take over and grow into their role. He could show Tinordi how to lay guys out.

104. monmick says:

You were hard on, now you have hard on…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

105. twilighthours says:

So maybe post less and you’ll, in the future, be wrong less

106. Bill says:

Let’s play nice, we’re winning.

Full Breezer 4 Life

107. Bill says:

You’re joking. What??

Full Breezer 4 Life

108. slyCH says:

He’s far from a troll.

109. Et le but says:

You are on shaky ground here EOHF…retract and stay positive please

110. twilighthours says:

This post is ironical.

111. Bill says:

EDIT: Never mind.

Full Breezer 4 Life

112. Reflektor says:

… and piss off Randy Carlyle?

113. Reflektor says:

Sarcasm.

114. jctremblay says:

I meant..tonight..lol

115. Storman says:

Came in the same deal for Seguin

116. monmick says:

Good trade for both teams, so far…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

117. frontenac1 says:

Yeah, posted the other day. He is playing for Sorel -Tracy. He beat the shit out of my amigo Brett Angel who plays for the Cornwall River Rats last week.

118. Et le but says:

Positive vibes EOHF, positive vibes

119. Storman says:

There gassed man playing on heart, 3 game in 4 nights, playing against a team that last played on Saturday

120. Et le but says:

Is that your best positive vibe?

121. Et le but says:

Awesomeness bro!

122. Et le but says:

think I developed an ulcer though…lol

To Boston fans. Yes!! :-D

124. Willy the bum says:

You sure it’s not the flu?

125. JUST ME says:

Michel Bergeron is passé. Outdated, finished and the is french`s version of Don Cherry. You did too much celebration there sir. But it`s o.k. the habs win !

126. slyCH says:

I like Bergeron. but that’s just me.

127. Storman says:

19 years old playing against men, and doing just fine,, he should be getting ready to dominate World Junior Championships, but he is playing in the most elite league in the world against men,, he is 19 years old and is going to be a superstar in a few years as good as Malkin when he grows into his body matures adds some muscle, and matures mentally,, he also plays a 200ft game for a kid with endless skill.