Liveblog: Game 11: San Jose dominant in 2-0 win

Niemi

First shutout of the season

Antti Niemei had an easy night.

The Canadiens managed only 22 shots, few of which troubled the Sharks' goaltender.

Carey Price made 33 saves but was beaten twice by Logan Couture.

Actually, beaten once.

The Sharks' young centre tipped one past Price on a power play, then notched his second on a weird bounce off a stanchion, with Price behind the Canadiens net and out of the play.

The better team won, peeps.

Couture again

Logan Coputure got his second of the game on a weird play.

Patrick Marleau shot a puck in along the dasher. Carey Price went behind his net to play it, but the puck hit a stanchion and bounced into the slot, where Couture had a gimme.

Sharks get on the board

On San Jose's thiurd power play of the game, Logan Couture tipped a Joe Thornton pass by Carey Price.

The Canadiens came to life late in the period. They got excellent shifts from the Tomas Plekanec and David Desharnais lines. The flurry finally drew a San Jose penalty late in the period.

Shots were 11-7 for the visitors, 22-15 on the game.

Andrei Markov has FOUR giveaways.

Scoreless 20 mins

San Jose had an 11-8 shot advantage – SOP for them.

The Canadiens killed two penalties.

Good hockey. Up and down the ice.

Toughest yet

Cue that ominous theme music from Jaws.

San Jose brings the NHL's best record to the Bell Centre Saturday night. The Sharks are the most dangerous visitors we've seen since the Leafs opened the season in Montreal.

San Jose is 3-1-1 on the road, 8-1-1 in their last 10. After 10 games,the Sharks's goal differential is an eye-popping plus-23.

The visitors are coming off a game in Boston where they outshot the Bruins 37-19 only to lose on David Krejci's last-second goal. It was San Jose's first setback in regulation time of the young season.

The visitors are a bit banged-up. The Sharks will be without Dan Boyle, Brent Burns, Martin Havlat, Adam Burish, Raffi Torres and possibly Tommy Wingels.

The goaltending duel features two Stéphane Waite pupils: Carey Price and Antti Niemi, whom Waite coached in Chicago.

Puck drops 7:10ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

1. King of Bonshaw says:

Gerard Gallant never had a fifty goal season. He did have many solid seasons playing alongside Steve Yzerman. He was bigger than Gallagher in his playing days. He was as tough as they come. He certainly didn’t require protection from Probert or Kocur. In fact he is tougher than any current Habs player except for Prust. It’s unfair to compare Gallagher to him. Two completely different styles of play in different eras.

2. JM says:

Storeman – That’s very sad for you and your family. Wish you and your family all the best!!

3. Bill says:

I didn’t mind MB picking up Briere in the off season, even though I don’t like the guy. The money isn’t bad, the term is fine, and Briere can still be good in the playoffs.

That said, I almost threw up when they had Lafleur hand Briere the torch first in the opening ceremony this year. Disgusting.

4. BrianSkrudland says:

New post…
    ————
    Daily recommendations for October 26
    Song of the Day: Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin)
    Movie of the Day: The Great Escape

5. Bill says:

Alright, Hobie et al, when I say Tinordi isn’t a mean player, I’m saying he doesn’t play mean. And he really doesn’t. He’s not the guy who lays a late hit because he can, or the guy who brutally cross checks the dude in the crease, or the guy who immediately jumps on and pounds the guy who runs his goalie. That is not who he is.

We’ve seen him play enough games in Montreal to know he’s not a foul-tempered punisher. I like him, I think he’s a good player, but he’s not mean.

6. JM says:

I don’t know what’s wrong with some people on here. The Habs are a good team but they are not built to smash and bang and that’s why they are not going to amount to much. Too soft so most of them play scared. If you didn’t hit them they would be in 1st place on skill and speed alone. Teams know that if they play tough. They can beat the Habs. If the Habs make the playoffs. That will be about as good as they’ll do this year!!

7. Bill says:

Hey Storman, sorry for your loss, I know it hurts.

• Storman says:

Thanks Bil it sucks beyond belief, as we get older we lose friends, family,, may sound funny, but he meant as much to me as anyone ever in my life,, and i didnt realize it until, i said ya put the overdose in his vein,, and i saw a part of me die, i spent every waken moment him, when things broke down with my wife and daughter and i stuck it out,, he kept me sane,, sorry Bill I respect your opinions big time,, thanks man

8. Storman says:

24ch is a small peak into the real world of team camaraderie, it so important to be tight as a team,, that it is why Brandon Prust is so important, ask Henrik Lundquist why the Rangers have become so normal after he left

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

…what is the message this game reaffirms ?

…large, fast skilled players will dominate smaller fast, skilled opponents ?

…I think that is the process We have to be patient with …Bergevin knows this in fact better than Us

…it will not happen overnight

…yes, We may find a way to meet the ‘size’ issue …but it won’t be at all beneficial if it’s big, slow and unskilled

• Eddie says:

it was more the way the Sharks had a great game plan and everyone bought into it 100% every shift.

Those guys did not miss a shift out there.

You know the stupid expression players use, “we need to do it for 60 minutes”, well that’s what it looks like when it’s done properly.

• BrianSkrudland says:

I agree with your assessment re: what is required moving forward. Does Bergevin know this better than us, really? It just seems so bloody clear to most of us. Let’s not hold our GM as being too holy until he blows us away with an otherworldly move, I’d say.

————
      Daily recommendations for October 26
      Song of the Day: Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin)
      Movie of the Day: The Great Escape

• BrianSkrudland says:

The Ducks seemed big too, I’d say.

————
      Daily recommendations for October 26
      Song of the Day: Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin)
      Movie of the Day: The Great Escape

10. Storman says:

Hey Phil , Johnny, EasternOntario, and i can go on and on, this may sound like BS but really guys thank you so uch tonight for giving me some sanity, you make think i am being overly dramatic, but losing my dog, and i cant explain what he has meant to me, especially the last two years, where i spent every waking moment trying to read every sign, from him that something was wrong, 3 emergency visits with hospital stays, 3 grand each, time, and then i lose him to some, sarcosis cancer that grows instantaneously,, he meant, the world to me, and thank you alll for letting me vent..

• Phil C says:

Anytime. Anyone who has had a dog knows you’re not being overly dramatic. They give you so much unconditional love and they depend on you like a child. It’s hard to let them go, but it sounds like it was his time.

• Storman says:

Thanks Phil, I keep telling myself i did the right thing,, i spent 2 grand just to put him down,, i carried him into emergency,, then after months of consecutive battles with pneumonia, they told me he was healhty,, then all of the sudden after 10 grand in hospital stays and test he has cancer on his spleen and heart and is blledding internally… ahhhhhhhhhhhh sorry man,, i put him down and i have such guillt because they stabilized him by draining blood around his heart,, i wanted him for a few more years,, but maybe its time for me to enter another part of my life,, ahhhhhhhhhhhh

• Eddie says:

He was lucky to have you Storman.

• BrianSkrudland says:

Vent away, man. Nobody will judge you on such a personal issue.

I spent upwards of $7k on my last sweet friend (lab/collie); slept on the floor with him following countless surgeries; etc. My ex-wife is gone, but that amazing dog is the one I truly miss.

————
      Daily recommendations for October 26
      Song of the Day: Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin)
      Movie of the Day: The Great Escape

• Storman says:

Venting at will, man this is like a little touch of therapy,, i think i know everything and then life says deal with this,,who knew HIO members i can argue with at will, would help me, vent to this extent,, Another reason to love the Habs.. Man sort of helps to talk about this thank you thank you , and i hope to be back to myself soon,,, maybe even summit with you all next year..

11. Eddie says:

On both plays Gallagher was hit hard he made a play he can NOT make at the NHL level, and after tonight I hope I never see him do it again.

It’s one thing to be first on the puck. But quite another when you leave yourself completely open and exposed.

Gorges should understand this and I think they are roommates.

Come on guys, this is an unacceptable play that can not be repeated.

• Phil C says:

Gionta is another guy he should learn from. Gionta rarely puts himself in those types of positions and they play a similar style.

• Eddie says:

Yes. Agreed. And Gionta is the captain. I wonder how much he talks to Gallagher? Gallagher should be picking his brain every day.

It’s a bad read. He sees the loose puck and he doesn’t calculate how he will be leveled into the boards just as he arrives there.

He’s getting frustrated, and so is Galchenyuk.

• Phil C says:

Good observation on the problem being reading the play. Even a big player won’t survive in the NHL like that. I worry about Taylor Hall in Edmonton for the same reason, he keeps leaving himself wide open as well. Let’s hope someone talks to Gallagher without wrecking his mojo.

• Eddie says:

I’m confident Gallagher will adjust. He seems very bright. It will be part of his learning curve. You’re right about Taylor Hall. Man he has such great skill, that guy! Scary good.

12. Storman says:

every time Cherry says LeLongo I still ffffffffff Laugh,, he called Nathan Mackinnon Macrimmon the other day

13. habs001 says:

I still think that there has to better unsigned players the Habs can go after in the summer in one of the leagues in Europe than Blunden,Cube etc…

14. Storman says:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF how did MB sign Briere and last year DD,,, how does shit like that happen, they are supposed to be experts

15. Storman says:

Hey you know what all, with all at the summit,, we are having a very respectful debate following a loss,, not normal by any means

16. Puckdoc says:

We’re a mid pack team. A cup contender proved that.

17. habs001 says:

While Eller had a fast start in scoring goals i am still skeptical that he is a consistent goal scorer..Galchenyuk is struggling right now but he is not a goal scorer as a left winger…maybe it is time to break these two players up…

18. Hobie Hansen says:

All I care about from Tinordi is that he eventually plays a huge role shutting things down while the Habs are even strength or on the penalty kill. He’s no goon but people who are saying he doesn’t have a mean streak or isn’t a nasty player are out to lunch. I’ve been watching him from London to Hamilton to Montreal. Not sure where others are getting their information?

19. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Diaz is a 5-6 D-man playing in a 3-4 role…not his fault he looks bad sometimes. Blame management. It seems that they’re basically waiting for the prospects so don’t expect any major changes this year. Hopefully a young D-man will be able to come up later in the year and contribute significantly.

20. Storman says:

I wish the season was just 48 games every year, get to the playoffs sooner because playoff hockey is so undeniably better hockey, never can understand how these guys turn it on and off on a regular basis during the year

21. Storman says:

Packers and Habs never seen any fans, live and die with there team’s success. In Wisconsin when the Packers lose domestic violence goes up ten fold after the game..

22. Storman says:

Diaz seriously is not willing to takeame a hit at times to make a simple play, that breaks down a team when in a league this tough you have to be willing to go to war at will a la Prust

• johnnylarue says:

Yes, I agree that Prust’s style of play–which involves completely ignoring the limitations of the human body–is inspiring to watch. Unfortunately, it also gets you injured. A lot, as it turns out.

• Storman says:

Yes but it breeds, team unity, and leadership,, cant be denied, there is such a fine line between winning attitude and well lets just get through this season,,, ffffffffff how often do u get a chance to be so courageous and get the adoration of a generation of hockey crazed fans

• johnnylarue says:

In theory, I totally agree. In practice, what it seems to breed for the Habs is an IR list that reads like a Dostoevsky novel. (I.e. long, and full of misery.)

• Storman says:

Point well taken, you are right sometimes players have to realize its an 82 game season,, we are very unlucky when it comes to injuries that is for sure

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

@SlyCH

…Sylvain, I was in Xian, China years ago at a restaurant …literally found a dead mouse in My Yeungling beer

…drinking Yeungling You will save on buying finger-food :)

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Pat Hickey stating Diaz has looked bad on several plays again tonight, especially the SJ power play goal. On TSN 690.

25. Storman says:

long season guys NHL is such a battle, sharks will have a 5 game losing streak, like every elite team, just no dominating teams except the Avalanche, cause they have the King coaching

26. Bill says:

Mmm, there isn’t anything wrong with Tinordi’s mentality, EOHF, but yeah, he’s not a mean player and never really has been. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a really effective defenceman. Just not much of a face-puncher (though Carter Ashton would say differently I guess).

• Hobie Hansen says:

Tinordi has played in about 15 NHL games, including preseason and postseason and has been in 5 or 6 fights. I’d hate to see your idea of a mean player?

27. habsfan0 says:

Tonight’s loss definitely wasn’t Carey Price’s fault, but I would start Budaj Monday against the Rangers.

28. port elgin says:

Call up Louie, Holland and Blunden?

C’mon

29. JUST ME says:

What was it you wanted me to measure again honey ?

Well that was a humbling experience! I`d rather compare my team to them rather than to a bunch of goons that have no real hockey talent. Now this was a hockey team.
    At least the summiteers can say that they saw the best team we had to face this season by far !

Coach Therrien said that we were right there with them but got a few bad bounces…That is a bit optimistic cause many of our guys were overwhelmed by the sheer speed,power and relentless will of the Sharks.

I think many kids on the team saw what progress needs to be achieved to be able to compete with a hockey machine.

Our 3 MTL teams lost today. I have had better saturdays…Have a safe trip home guys and girls of the summit !

30. Bill says:

No need to get bent out of shape about this one, the Sharks are an elite team. I actually have to compliment the Habs D tonight, they did not too badly considering their overall ability.

Was expecting a little more from the forwards but again, SJ is a great team right now and the Habs just couldn’t solve them.

Antii Niemi sure knows how to pick a gig, eh?

• wild flower says:

Habs were playing scared all night. SJ too strong. It’s a big man’s game these days. Just ask DD. I’m not sure he even wants to be on the ice anymore. A lot of the hits being called dirty these days are just hockey plays with rookies and small players overmatched against stronger players. Time to heat of the discussion about performance enhancing drugs in the NHL…some very big men are moving faster than ever before.

31. JM says:

stop making excuses. The Sharks are a better team and they played just good enough to win…

32. Phil C says:

The Sharks were ready for how the Habs normally move the puck up the ice. They were pressuring the D and stepping up on the wingers, so the normal stretch pass up the boards wasn’t working. They only way to beat that type of forecheck is with better puck support. There was too much space between the forwards and defense on the break out for at least the first two periods (I listened to the third on the radio, but it sounded the same). Therrien has to get better with in-game adjustments. A game plan is good, but it seldom survives contact with the enemy.

• Eddie says:

That’s an excellent observation, Phil.
      I don’t think that’s Therrien’s strength, not at all.
      San Jose’s team defence is off the charts good – everyone on the same page, everyone working their butts off, everyone winning battles.
      Without a few key players, especially Boyle, they still looked so organized.

We have to get Galchenyuk playing on his own line. He has to start the journey some time and I say we need to get it started sooner rather than later.

Are we winning a Cup this season? Unlikely. And that’s a homer, generous way of putting it.

When will we win our next Cup?
      I say, when Galchenyuk is playing like Logan Couture; and Eller is playing like Joe Thornton.

Desharnais has his contract, but HE”S the one who has to move over now. Can Desharnais be less effective on the wing? I don’t see how.

But if we line up Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, we will be heading in the right “building” direction towards contending for a Cup.

Enough with the freakin nonsense already. Let’s do this.

• Phil C says:

I agree Ed, Desharnias could still create things on the wing without the burden of the defensive responsibilities of a centremen. St. Louis has had a good career on the wing, so why not DD as well?

Galchenyuk on the third line centre could still be protected as far as match-ups go to start.

Edit: If in-game adjustments are not one of Therrien’s strengths, they need to get someone on the staff to advise him or it will be an early exit from the playoffs again.

33. Hobie Hansen says:

Therrien stating that Beaulieu was overwhelmed and that’s why he only played one shift in third period.

34. habsfan0 says:

Als lose,Habs lose.
    My team is due this weekend.

Bills will clobber the Saints tomorrow.

35. Arrow77 says:

There’s nothing embarassing about that loss. This is the best team in the league right now and we’re missing a lot of regulars. Pacioretty, Prust and Emelin would’ve helped tonight.

36. oldtimerguy says:

if you could re-do 2011 and make the playoffs for a round or 2 and lose the chance to get galchenyuk, do you do it?

37. port elgin says:

Not much to cheer about at the Bell tonite, hope the beer was cold

• Hobie Hansen says:

I can guarantee it was expensive!

“I think that we have to leave (fighting) in there. I just think a lot of guys will all of a sudden get real brave and I think that it will lead to more violence in our game.”
      -Bobby Orr

38. Storman says:

Hey Thanks all for tolerating my nonsense tonight,, but it gave me a few moments escape from my grief of losing my dog to fffffffffffffffffff cancer and running out of money to keep him alive for my own selfishness

39. Danno says:

I just hope Gallagher is going to be OK

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…at least My Cards are up 2-1 agin the Blood Sox, and threatening to bring more runs in

…so, may not be a completely lost day :(

41. slyCH says:

It was expected, that is why I drank water and left the Yuengling case in the fridge for another game. Could have been worse, I guess. But the fact there was no sustained pressure in the O-zone in the 3rd was quite discouraging. DD’s two misstifying (yes, I created a new word in his honor) were game changers. The good thing is, those Yuenglings will be mighty cold and tasty come monday against the Rangers.

42. jols101 says:

Well at least the Sharks won’t be tired for their afternoon game against the Sens tomorrow.

That was way to easy for them.

• Habilis says:

Yep. Not a very physical game. They are an amazing team to watch though, their puck control is something else. Still, I thought we skated with them pretty well for most of the game, but they are very good at smothering opposing offences.
      I’d like to see us play them with our full roster though. I know they’re the best of the best right now, but I think our full team could hang.

43. JUST ME says:

Habs,ALs and impact all lose on the same day. Talk about a bad day…

44. habs-hampton says:

Chill out, guys. We’re missing a lot of regulars, and still made a game of it.

45. Phil C says:

The Sharks made the Habs look bad with their relentless puck pressure. Sharks deserve some credit.

If Holland is going to play on the 4th line, why not bring up Tarnasky instead? They could have used a few energy shifts with physical play.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Habs could have used Prust and Parros to cause some spark tonight.

-Bobby Orr

• oldtimerguy says:

agreed…Holland should only be called up if they use him on one of the first 2 lines…he needs skill guys to play with, not meat hands….same for DD…

46. RAM_TOUGH says:

Boone & Cole have so much in common!

Guts-Glory-Ram

47. johnnylarue says:

Re: Summit Jinx

Maybe someone should let Ian know to plan a sort of “decoy summit” for next year, for the weekend prior to the actual summit? I think the players just felt too much pressure with the Commentariat there in the building with them.

It’s the ultimate bummer when the most “exciting” thing that happens in a game is Travis Moen getting a puck in the face.

And shouldn’t Patches be back by now? Seems he’s already past the 1/4 mark of his 4-week prognosis, meaning that by his standards he’s actually late by a couple of days! C’mon, Wolvie–team needs you. Big time.

48. Say Ash says:

Is that three-straight summit losses?

49. Hobie Hansen says:

Habs could have have really used Pacioretty, Prust, Murray, Emelin and Parros tonight.

-Bobby Orr

50. Danno says:

My condolences to the HI/O summiteers who experienced the agony of defeat.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m guessing in about 45mins from now when they’ve got a beer and shot of Jacks Daniels in front of them at Hurley’s, they’ll be feeling pretty good.

-Bobby Orr

51. John Q Public says:

Time to crack the egg.

52. HabFab says:

Bulldogs hold on for a 3-2 win.
    With my secret spy in Boston, Devils storm back in the last minutes and steal a 4-3 win. :D

53. Dr.Rex says:

Desharnais got a penalty tonight. So nobody can say he was invisible.

54. AH says:

“Sharks are an excellent team”..and “they brought their A game”…hmm…2-0 over a listless Habs team with no jump and one of their goals was a freebie off the end boards…how excellent are they????

55. danhabsfan says:

Boone: the boos were for a horrible effort