Liveblog: Eastern semifinal Game 4 – Bruins win 1-0 in OT, tie series

paillePrice

Thud!

A great game ended with a greast goal.

At least the agony was not prolonged.

Matt Fraser, recalled from Boston's AHL team in Providence, scored Game 4's only goal 1:19 into Overtime.

It came off a mad scramble as Carey Price lost track of a puck that bounced off the end boards out in front.

It was a bitter loss for the Canadiens, who peppered Tuukka Rask with 33 shots.

Boston had three shots in OT, the Canadiens none.

Who the #$%^ is Matt Fraser?

Barely a minute into Overtime, the Bruins' call-up – playing his first playoff game – slipped the puck past Carey Price for the only goal of Game 4.

Best game of the series

No mistakes by either team.

The whole third period felt like Overtime.

Canadiens had a 14-7 shot advantage, 33-32 on the game.

Carey Price got more help from his posts on a Reilly Smith chance.

First goal wins it?

Boston outshot the Canadiens 12-9 in the second period.

Each team had a power-play.

Neither scored.

Brian Gionta was sent in alone but he was stopped by Tuukka Rask.

VERY tense game.

And we know who owns the third period.

You can tell it's a biggie

Very tight 20 minutes.

Boston outshot the Canadiens 12-10.

HIO is experiencing tech problems, for which we apologize.

The computer geeks are on it.

It could get loud ... and nasty

Fearless prediction: A rockin', rollin' Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

Down 2-1 in the series, Boston will come out thumpin' and jumpin'. The Canadiens' ability to deal with early pressure could be the key to success in what shapes up as the pivotal game of the series.

Carey Price won't be nervous. Neither will P.K. Subban.

Price has been better than Tuukka Rask. P.K. has outshone Norris Trophy finalist Zdeno Chara.

And Michel Therrien has taken advantage of home ice to get the players he wants on he ice for critical situations, notably defensive zone faceoffs.

Claude Julien, no slouch in the strategy department, doubtless has cooked up some adjustments for Game 4.

It should be a beauty.

Puck drops 7:40ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

1,456 Comments

I wonder who will break out of their slump first, David Krejci or Max Pacioretty?

24.4 Cups

2. StevieM61 says:

Andi!!

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

3. Willy the bum says:

Close to 30 min ’til game time…

ARE YOU EXCITED?!!!

4. Storman says:

Seems Hamsters are working with a lower body injury tonight.

5. Storman says:

Slight adjustment to equipment means Canadiens will be playing hard all night.

6. Danno says:

Let’s get this party started!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. Willy the bum says:

0-4 for Sara Diamond. :P

8. gumper says:

Getting this message in Boone’s blog window.

403 – Forbidden: Access is denied.

Any thoughts?

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

9. Storman says:

Barry Trotz cool someone at CBC had a brainstorm to get someone who knows a little hockey,

10. Danno says:

Go Ginette Go!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

11. Marc10 says:

Happy birthday Lars! GWG coming right up.

12. Dulljerk says:

Boonie having technical problems? Can’t see the live blog.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

13. UKRAINIANhab says:

Lots of pressure on Rask.

14. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I hope lucic says this after the game:
    ‘It was a million to one shot, doc, million to one.’

15. CJ says:

Looks like Beaulieu and Prust will be in warmup tonight, per Lavoie (TVA).

16. monmick says:

Game on; mes ami(e)s…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

17. HabsKid says:

Help! My apps been high jacked by that DB Paul Ryan!

18. Hobie says:

Bruins will come out hammering Habs. Subban and Murray will destroy a couple Bruins right back!

19. sherburnehabfan says:

GO HABS GO

The Rocket is in the house, Habs will win!!!

__________
    Hockey is a game played with a clock, the more time you play in the offensive side of center ice the less pressure you put on the defense. Control the clock, win the game.

20. Storman says:

Wow just saw Emelin for the first time do a little English interview on CTV..

21. habstrinifan says:

OK.. you technocrats… I need a fix …

My live blog window is showing the following,”

403 – Forbidden: Access is denied.
    You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.” What the HELL???

Thought all the credentials I would ever need to join a HABS party was the CH tattoo I got when I had my vasectomy. What you ask??? Well my doctor was also a wicked tattoo artist.. and I said oh “what the hell” when he suggested….. but we dissect…. err digress.

22. Storman says:

Going in and out back from the deck BBQ and back to TV and Jameson,, i just walked right through my screen luckily i did not strain myself.

23. StevieM61 says:

Forbidden?
    still?

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

24. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Fearless prediction……Slobberknocker.

It’s gunna be like the old days tonight.
    Go Habs GO!!!

25. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

It’s amazing: the lead story on TSN’s website is a two year extension to a coach already under contract for another year. NOT an epic series about to resume in the only Cdn city that has NHl hockey currently.
    If any other franchise added two years to their coach’s contract, it would be a marginal story. But nooooooo, this is Toronto. Yeesh.
    I remember Dec. 31, 1975

26. habsfan0 says:

Habs have to look at this game as if it was Game 7.
    They do not want to be 2-2 with Boston holding home ice advantage in a best of three series.

27. Prop says:

Bettman is in the house tonight…
    GET HIM!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

28. L Elle says:

Habs 4-2!

When your best players are some of the best players in the league, you have to win. Price and PK, oh yeah!

2 dozen donuts to be delivered to Claude Julien, after the game. :)

29. Storman says:

After we win tonight can HIO writers please try and hold off on a feature on Stan Jonathon before the next game..

30. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

Wish I could get CBC. The NBC guys are so dull…….ughhhhh

GO HABS GO!!!!!

31. Willy the bum says:

Tonight’s game will be a physical game, per TSN 690 (don’t know who said that). So true, as Bruins takes nothing to get a win. Habs must be watchful to anything and be very precise and perfect (although impossible). Habs should come out with a nail-biter of a game.

Habs 3-2, Overtime. Brière (he’s due for a goal).

32. Puck Bard says:

Anyone in the States with an RDS stream / feed?

33. adamkennelly says:

t- 57 minutes. 1 more freaking conference call between me a bunch of beers and an awesome f-ng game….

34. StevieM61 says:

4 hours today in the backyard… digging up the weeds in the garden..hostas are up.. as are the delphiniums
    made space for onions,tomatoes,etc…
    everything hurts.
    one of those “rites of spring” things

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

35. Willy the bum says:

Hour thirty to go… Fun question to you all: what’s your pre-game superstition or a preference good-luck charm?

Mine’s stupid, but I tend not to watch parts of the 2nd period.

36. zephyr says:

the bruins come out jumping every game. doesn’t matter. what matters is our guys focusing on playing our game. force the bruins to play our game. when we play the bruins’ game we get the last 10 mins of game 2.
    fast, aggressive forechecking & putting pressure on the boston dmen. that’s what pays dividends.
    I noticed we did a better job of not predictably trying to clear the puck out of our end along the boards. that’s helpful. make the bruins dmen pay for pinching in. then we get breakaways & odd-man rushes.
    if we force them to play our game, we’ll win.

37. Cal says:

Book of Hab
    Chapter 14
    p8

And the Great City of the Ste-Flanelle
    Awaited the Blessed Ones fate,
    For The Beast had summoned
    Its most fiendish demons.
    And, lo, the roars of The Faithful
    Were many, for the Beast
    Had not the will to
    Counter the hockey gods nor
    The phantoms that lived there.

So sayeth the Book of Hab

38. I wish I was at the game tonight if only to help the fans get going

na na na na, na na na na heyyyyyy gooooooooooodbye.

I loved that way more than Ole Ole Ole.

Winner of this game wins the series! That’s how big it is.

Lucic is gonna do something stupid tonight, and we’re gone score 3 on the 5 minute major!!

Habs 5
    Bruins 1

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators

39. montreal ace says:

When I paid for my credentials, they were supposed to be guaranteed accredited. I want my money back Mike

40. Habcouver says:

Canucks met with Jim Benning today.
    Did Bob Cole announce that the Gooins were eliminated yesterday?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

41. Haberoooo13 says:

It would have to be in Florida or Tampa or Phoenix, but PK’s next cellly should be this

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

42. JohnInTruro says:

I’m going to watch Coach’s Corner tonight, and I always do. Normally comical, sometimes the odd good point brought forward. My money is on Cherry/MacLean spending as much time talking about the Carlyle signing as they will about the game at hand. ONLY way that doesn’t happen is if the Bruins are leading after the first. Carlyle will consume the intermission I’m thinking, and likely the pre-game.

43. StevieM61 says:

Oh My God!!!
    I am forbidden

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

44. SPATS says:

Fearless prediction:
    Therrien’s propensity to juggle lines causes Julien to cry foul to the refs.

OOOH AAAAH HABS ON THE WARPATH

45. Habcouver says:

It’s forbidden to hum or think the Ole song tonight.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• piper says:

Agree. Maybe with a 4 goal lead and 3 minutes left it would be OK.

• Habcouver says:

5 goals and 2 minutes left…. then it’s a deal. ;)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Rugger says:

3 seconds maybe. I had just flown home to Logan airport from a business trip one winter many years ago (1990’s?), got in the truck and turned on the radio Montreal was up by 3 goals late in the game. Went into the tunnel hoping I could get past the Gahden before the game was over. When i came out of the tunnel the Habs were losing. Never again will I relax until the game is over!

• BJ says:

The Ole song has to be the ultimate in stupidity (it seems to jynx every time). As for the hum I use it as a survival technique to dissipate stress and to keep the ticker going during the PK.

• Habcouver says:

Alternatively, could you hum Dutchie on the trumpet?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Habs_Norway says:

that, along with the wave… god how i hate the wave..
        you see them performed by metrosexuals at handballgames and some international football friendlies.

I wish they would play without helmet so I can see the beautiful hair on Dale “Lafleur” Weise’s head.

______________________________________
        Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• Habcouver says:

Mmmm… my theatre of the mind is getting the better of me. :-|

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• BJ says:

Metrosexuals? Never heard that one before. Is it a bizarre Scandinavian operation?

• boing007 says:

Dale, not Dave. I guess Timo hasn’t noticed Weise’s hair yet.

Richard R

• Habs_Norway says:

i blame my bad canadian for that one, boing007. Dale. I also liked it when Mr.White had his long red hair. Along with fists of fury, he should be playing against boston.
            BJ yes, its a mix, men behave like women. common in european soccer too :P

______________________________________
            Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• JohnInTruro says:

I groaned when I heard that last game. I think it was 3-1 at the time, and you just knew a goal would get scored.

• Willy the bum says:

Did you know the fans did not sing the “Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye” song when the Habs swept the Lightnings?

I wonder what happened to that? The Goodbye song is better than the Olé (that is, on the Bruins’ elimination game).

46. BJ says:

Tonights medical checklist. First period: Oxygen/check. second period: Beta blockers/check. Third period: Nitro/check. OT: Frontenac’s liquid diet/check. Good to go.

47. scrotchland says:

thank goodness theirs a new thread up so we dont have to look at therians face.
    I think starting tonight the bruins comeback starts, hope I am wrong but thats how I see it.
    confidence is fine, but overconfidence can kill a team. I see the habs players, coaches and especially most of us fans being very cocky and overconfident.
    look for the bruins to come out hitting and trying to squash the smurfs, starting with papa smurf rah rah josh georges aka the giveaway machine. seems that only myself, tomi, timo, scotland, jgib90210 retromonkey and nuna are the only realists among the hab fans.

As Martin Luthor King once said, “Those who fail to attend history are doomed to repeat it”

• Willy the bum says:

Get used to looking at Therrien’s face; it’s the face of confidence.

• JUST ME says:

The words «us fans » and you do not fit. Every game night you come here with your rotten attitude and predict a sweep and it never happens cause guess what ? The Habs are in a positive mood .
      Don`t you get the message after a while ? TSN is a much better place for you to be where you will find lots of losers like you.

FORBIDDEN ACCESS TO MIKE BOONES LIVE BLOG!

The sky is falling!!!

49. Willy the bum says:

I’m so impressed with Mike Weaver; he’s plus 6, with the last assist coming from a blocked shot. Every time I see him on the ice, somehow I feel safe for the Habs. I don’t know, it must be that Gary Wright song in my head again…

50. Cal says:

Anyone else getting an error message in the Live Blog section of this page?

51. habkin says:

Happy B-Day Mr. Eller!

52. habs001 says:

Hopefully 4-1 Habs….but i hope that o/t feeling i have is wrong….

53. HankHardball says:

So many media types are sayin tonight will be the night the Bear wakes up.

Call me a dreamer, but I think tonight could be a game the Habs dominate.

54. Willy the bum says:

Two hours ’til game time… so nervous.

Here’s a wilderness tip for you all: never have Lucic behind your back, and if you do, ALWAYS protect your cup.

55. DipsyDoodler says:

From that article about Carlye returning:

“Leiweke promised accountability – a ‘bold shakeup’ in a culture too focused on the past – ”

What past?

The Leafs have a past? I mean look at the list of players whose numbers have been honoured:

Doug Gilmour
    Tim Horton
    Wendel Clark
    Frank Mahovlich
    Daryl Sittler
    Mats Sundin

Not one of those guys would have his jersey retired by the Habs.

Mats Sundin? Really?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

56. habs001 says:

A must game tonight…Would be a huge win as games 5 and 7 in Boston would probably have to be won by surviving being outplayed,out shot and out chanced…….

57. habs001 says:

Pateryn signed for 2 years by Habs…

• Grabbed The Cup says:

That Grabovski (Little worm) trade is looking better and better… what did they end up doing with the 2nd rounder they got back?

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

58. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

New nickname for da bruinz : a peep of chickens.

• Habcouver says:

Jeez, thanks! I ended up watching about 20 minutes of the link.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

59. Willy the bum says:

Tonight’s game must have the following:
    – Subban gets at least two points.
    – Brière gets at least one point.
    – Weaver takes at least 2-3 blocked shots; one of them counts as an assist.
    – Emelin gives 2 definite checks on any Bruins (Lucic is mandatory).
    – Price must accept 25-30 saves; anything less is a game loss.
    – Lucic gives one spear only.

If any of those things didn’t happen (one or all), the Habs will lose tonight (the Lucic bit doesn’t count).

60. Danno says:

Anthem singer Charles Prevost-Linton being very gracious and classy on RDS about being bumped off his regular gig by Ginette Reno

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Strummer says:

Glen Healey also gracious about being bumped from his regular spot between the benches by Pierre McGuire.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• SPATS says:

She sure stirs the already restless Danno!

61. secretdragonfly says:

Happy birthday, Lars! Only one way to celebrate, you know what to do – light up the scoreboard instead of a cake :)

62. habkin says:

Well, no work tomorrow and nursing my first beer. T-2 and a half hours until game time. The Bruins have tried to thump all series but the Habs are too quick. I would like to see White and Tinordi in the mix soon. I knew Murray would be inserted and would deliver. But fresh legs is not a bad idea especially if Montreal could win tonight. Get on dem booins aggressively and score often tonight. Chicken wings for everyone:)

63. Danno says:

Survey:

Which one is more irritating:

1 -Jock Itch

or

2 – Lootch Itch

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

64. HankHardball says:

Habs home ice playoff record against the B’s: 65 – 23

65. WindsorHab-10 says:

Started getting nervous right after I woke up this morning. Let’s drop the puck already. I have 911 on speed dial just in case.

66. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Would it be wrong to put pepper spray on your glove and face wash lucic ?

67. shrack says:

I just saw this on the Bruins Webpage.I hope this is a omen.

68. Luke says:

OH MY OH MY OHMYOHMY I am freakin’ out right now.
    (I’m actually running around in tight little circles).

OK… I’m getting out of here before I pull a hammy.

Enjoy the game tonight everyone!

Go HABS!

69. Danno says:

Man, you’ve got to be quick on the draw around here…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

70. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Pre game nap, check.

Go Habs GO
    Go Habs GO
    Go Habs GO
    Go Habs GO
    Go Habs GO

71. johnnylarue says:

Missed it by THAT much.

72. B says:

Keep the playoff home record intact!

–Go Habs Go!–

73. sprague cleghorn says:

Halte-la,halte-la, halte-la!

… ‘ow could we forget that?

74. shiram says:

For the win!!

75. zip by says:

ah ok – another fine night for hio it dept

76. D Mex says:

Can you explain this ?

77. habs-fan-84 says:

Yes scotland we noticed you are here.

Sounds like you are pumped for the third period for your Bruins, enjoy the game!

79. Ron says:

Go coidus yourself scot..

80. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

4 games and counting.

81. Coach K says:

I don’t recall hearing his name in the 3rd…

82. CJ says:

Wow, just go easy friend.

83. habstrinifan says:

Easy pal.. we need you to pull back a bit… no need to get in trouble.. stand tall walk straight and come home to listen to the post victoey clebration.

84. habs-fan-84 says:

That’s a hell of a night

85. Storman says:

Go cook dinner for Boone

86. sCOTT1243 says:

You’re drunk but nice reverse jinx!

87. UKRAINIANhab says:

Lmao

88. habsfan0 says:

You SURE you’re not really Rob Ford?

89. SlovakHab says:

been on this site for 6 years. yourself?

p.s. Murray sucks, face it.

90. Prop says:

GO DAN GO!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

91. Habcouver says:

not a total loss :)

92. UKRAINIANhab says:

Wheres the capslock :O

93. UKRAINIANhab says:

Gionta was fine…

94. johnnylarue says:

Well thankfully you don’t need to worry about that for another 5 years, JR.

Edit: Sorry–I thought you meant Patches! ;)

95. piper says:

should have had 2 goals at least.

96. habstrinifan says:

He was fine yes but it goes to my posts re coaching with ‘fear’.

97. Commandant says:

If you never, ever, ever get the puck out of your own zone luck Murray, eventually a bad bounce goes against you.

98. Commandant says:

Who are you?

Ask anyone here…. I’m not a troll by any means.

99. trolly says:

I endorse this post. ;-)

100. UKRAINIANhab says:

I know, I know

101. johnnylarue says:

Damn you and that fortune-telling fish you got for Christmas!

102. johnnylarue says:

Oh come on… Megadeth is amateur hour, dude.

103. johnnylarue says:

Oh definitely Slayer. ;)

104. Mattyleg says:

It’s most teams’ flaw.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

105. crane says:

without D.D. Patches and Vanek going, were dead in the water

106. olematelot says:

Embellished it eh, that’s why he was spitting blood on the bench after, makes sense.

107. Mattyleg says:

I agree that game 2 was significantly worse.
    I don’t feel bad after this one.
    After game 2, I went off hockey altogether for two whole days.
    It’s a tight series with equally good teams.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

108. olematelot says:

Plain to see he’s a know it all.

109. olematelot says:

rolls eyes!!

110. Commandant says:

PK who was at 57% tonight?

111. Ron says:

Go coidus yourself Ben, AB and you must be quite close by now..

112. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

you don’t think Boston has overall played like the better team?

113. Mattyleg says:

We’ve absorbed the pressure they’ve put us under and been far more threatening in their zone than they’ve been in ours, on the whole, apart from much of the first game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

114. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

which team has hit more posts and crossbars? We’ve hung in there well and generally played responsibly, but our goals have been opportunistic and we can’t seem to generate much consistent offense or presence in front of their net. Lucky bad bounces or not, our losses are coming in key games when we have a chance to take control of the series but don’t (i.e. more deflating). I give Boston credit for being a very good playoff type team in all zones and facets.

115. Mattyleg says:

All games in the playoffs are key.

And nobody cares how many posts they hit.
    If they can’t finish the job, they are sub-par.

I would wager that the team is significantly less demoralized than you (and many fans) are.

They played a good game.
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

116. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I’m actually not demoralized after this game as I see the winning goal largely resulting from a bad bounce. However, I wouldn’t say the Habs have been equal (and certainly not better) to the Bruins overall in this series

117. Mattyleg says:

Therrien outcoached?
    What in god’s name are you talking about?
    It was a 0-0 Overtime game with a fluke goal and Therrien was outcoached?
    The Bruins must truly, truly suck, then, if their coach can outcoach ours and all they get is a cheap bounce.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

118. Commandant says:

We have two guys who can throw hits. Their names are Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu.

Let Murray walk, let Bouillion walk… and let Beaulieu play the full season beside a re-signed Mike Weaver.