Liveblog: Conference Final Game 6 – A long, fun ride is over

TokerNYC

Not nearly enough left in the tank

Let's be honest: That was the most one-sided 1-0 game EVER!

Canadiens had five shots in the first period, five in the third.

Henrik Lundqvist made 18 saves for his first shutout of these playoffs.

Heroic Dustin Tokarski made 31 saves.

That's not going to do it.

So let's admit the better team is moving on to the Stanley Cup final.

Where the Kings will KILL them!

Out of gas

Trailing 1-0, the Canadiens needed 9:46 to get a shot on goal.

One bad shift

The Canadiens showed signs of life as the second period progressed.

Henrik Lundqvist made an acrobatic save on Thomas Vanek to keep it scoreless.

But the Rangers fourth line came up with a dominant shift and Dominic Moore scored the game's first goal.

Shots were 8-8.

Tokarski shines

The Canadiens needed 7:38 to get their first shot on Henrik Lundqvist.

By the, the Rangers had nine on Dustin Tokarski.

The Canadiens' goaltender ade great saves on Derick Brassard, Ricka Nash and, twice, Mats Zuccarello.

Shots were 11-5.

Canadiens will startthe second period on a power play.

Potential classic

Fearless prediction: Neither team will score seven goals in Game 6.

Game 5 was a crowd-pleasing aberration. Teams are not supposed to combine for 11 goals in the playoffs – least of all in a conference final.

But maybe this year is different. The Hawks and Kings produced nine goals Wednesday night in a double-overtime Game 5 that kept Chicago alive in the Western Conference Final.

The greater likelihood, however, is we'll be watching a tight one Thursday night at Madison Square Garden, where Games 3 and 4 went to OT.

Despite home-ice advantage, the pressure will be on the Rangers. They don't want to go back to Montreal for Game 7.

The Canadiens are riding a string of three straight wins in elimination games, two against Boston and Game 5 against the Rangers.

The absence of Dale Weise is a monumental drag. Raphael Diaz, the guy the Canadiens sent to Vancouver to get Weise, is in for the Rangers.

Puck drops 8:10ish.

Check back later for live game blogging.

• Sean McIndoe on Montreal controversies

Bruce Arthur on head games

1,770 Comments

1. WindsorHab-10 says:

To be honest, I don’t know what to expect tonight. I’m so nervous I can’t even sit straight. One thing I know for sure, despite some comments I make during games that are purely emotional, win or lose tonight, this is the proudest I’ve felt about this team in my 35+ years of following the Habs and yes it includes MT because he has done a wonderful job in the post-season(Sorry Timo).

Let’s drop the puck & hope for the best.
    GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!

• Ton says:

Timo loves the habs he just gets mad at them on occasion!

• Willy the bum says:

Love your proudest support for our team, good or bad! Wish you an exciting game!

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
      (applause)

• Laramy87 says:

I said something similar after game 4. I said something along the lines that this team has gone above expectations this year and very proud no matter what. This team has an excellent core and could be a perennial team that makes the final 4. Very proud

That said I am on pins and needles can barely finish my delicious sub i wasted money on

2. sprague cleghorn says:

Enjoy the game everyone. Let’s hope the boys pull it out. Saturday night could be one for the ages.

Go Habs Go.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

3. habstrinifan says:

Man am I nervous!

4. Ton says:

Fellow hab fans…..enjoy the game…..lets pray and hope for a victory……..we deserve this…….were the best loyal fans in the world! I posted a similar message in game 6 and 7 for the Bruins series and they won! Lets hope!

5. Peter Young says:

May the best team on the night win this game, and may our beautiful and beloved Montreal Canadiens be the best team. Wishing the best of luck to the lads.

6. Strummer says:

Everyone relax.
    I love Weise and he’s been great but he’s a 10 minute player.

Not the end of the world. Prust is back and the biggest plus is the fact that Chucky is back.

The trade off for Weise is the Rangers have to use Diaz. Moore was their most consistant defenseman. They will miss him more than the Habs miss Weise

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Willy the bum says:

Third line of Bourque-Eller-Gionta on the Diaz pair, and you get a strong lead in the first 40 minutes.

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
      (applause)

7. habstrinifan says:

I will say it NOW! HABS cannot play too defensive a game trying to overly minimis ethe shots allow. Tokarski is better when he does not have time to think of the position he is in. With enough shots he stays active and increases his confidence.

I know it sounds counter-indicative… but dont let the urge to ‘tighten up’ defensively tonight suppress our attack.

I think HABS have a better attack than the Blueshirts on balance.

8. sprague cleghorn says:

If Habs pull this out, what will HNIC show on the post-game, Magic Tom?

… ‘ow could we forget that?

• Willy the bum says:

Darcy Oake attempts to burn up one of Don Cherry’s jackets and become a beautiful lady.

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
      (applause)

“Kelly Hrudey says Lundqvist is virtually unbeatable 5-hole.”

Tell that to Pacioretty who ripped him a new one last game.

10. NLhabsfan says:

Let’s hope next year ROGERS dump the sorry ass CBC pukes.

11. Willy the bum says:

Pacioretty score in three elimination games, he will score one tonight.

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
    (applause)

12. habstrinifan says:

Totally agree with P.J. Stock on Bourque’s comment. As I posted before I hope it is posted in the Rangers dressing room. Let Lundquist have to live up to all the eyes that would be looking at him in that room..

Remember Bourque’s comment was such that Bourque DID NOT put a burden on himself to score.. he put a burden on Lundquist to prove that he is a better goalie.

13. Habitforming says:

I have faith, even though needing to win three (two now) in a row to move on is pushing their luck.

This series has been a close one so far.
    However, if the habs won game 2 in which they dominated the Rangers all night, and had managed to score in OT with the many shots they had before St Louis scored in game 4, this one would already be over.

I’ll say 3-1 Habs tonight with Eller scoring the winner

I guess we wait and see.

14. HabsKid says:

I listened to HNIC radio yesterday and today. I must be a masochist! The peanut gallery is trying to turn Bourque’s comment into an international incident. How dare he compare Ticker to Lundqvist! 2 days of this BS.

15. Adidess says:

All this talk about how much better Weise has been for us since coming our way in that trade for Diaz, will motivate Diaz big time tonight.

Expect Diaz to… ok, I can’t think of one thing Diaz could do to hurt us. So never mind. LOL!

16. NLhabsfan says:

Wasn’t it Hrudey in nets in 93..of course he hates the Canadiens.

• Willy the bum says:

If that McSorely’s stick length penalty never happened, Hrudey would be on our faces bragging about how he beat the Habs through 20-odd years.

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
      (applause)

• Mad Habber says:

No way, Habs would’ve won that series regardless of the stick penalty. Despite what people say that team was a really good team, and role players like Gilbert Doine, Paul Dipetro played above what they did the rest of their careers. Don’t believe me look at the roster again, they won because of more than just Roy. Damphousse, Muller, Bellows, Keane, Desjardin, Leclair, Schneider, Odelien, Haller, Brisebois, Leemen, Carbaneau…that was a better team than what they were given credit for.

• Willy the bum says:

That penalty cause a Desjardins tying goal into overtime, getting the Habs to one of the many overtime wins AND cutting the Kings game lead. So yeah, it does matter.

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
          (applause)

17. Willy the bum says:

Vanek better be at his top form. I’m not certain he will get a goal tonight, but he must do whatever he can to contribute. No more wandering around, ’cause he will do some in Minnesota.

If he must earn a big contract here or other teams, he better do everything to impress the big guys at least. Otherwise, he’s a waste of a skill and talent player.

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
    (applause)

18. TokarskiSaves says:

I’m sorry fans, we are not going to win this
    Weiser is a catalyst we can’t win without
    and I myself am mentally and physically exhausted.

These Blueshirts will put 6 past me tonight and the good guys will only get 2 past the Swede.

All in all a great ride of a season and I’m looking forward to playing in the big leagues next season!

19. The Prustean Age says:

While it sucks that Weise is out, I’m happy to see Prusty drawing in; he’ll bring a lot of energy, if not as much speed as Weise. And… look out for the sneaky back-hand saucer! (I’d love to see one hit Bournival’s stick for a goal, if the kid is also in tonight, and I’m assuming he is.)

GYFHG!

Screw the “hockey gods”!

20. UKRAINIANhab says:

Gionta and Vanek with HUGE nights

21. HairyHabist says:

Anybody want to bet on Vanek scoring tonight?

22. montreal ace says:

The best hockey culture in the world, with the best fans bar none, 3 cheers for all of us and 4 for the team

23. NLhabsfan says:

Yes Bob Cole was great last night.

24. w.p.d says:

Concerned that Gorges said they did have to change much for this game. How about, NOT putting the puck in your own net !

25. sreuel says:

Another put down from Boone can’t just cheer for Habs. No !

26. Danno says:

Good one Mike!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

27. Willy the bum says:

Yeah, go Boone! Be gloomy!

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
    (applause)

28. UKRAINIANhab says:

So how many for Vanek tonight? No doubt he scored at least 1! Also Plekanec and Gionta played much better last game. Good signs.

29. Texus says:

That game last night was a classic! No dirty plays, no shenanigans from the refs, just great hockey; action at both ends, big saves, playoff hockey at its best! Loved every minute of it

30. UKRAINIANhab says:

Sigh. Nervous for this one, Tokarski needs to shut the door, because I have a feeling Lundqvist will. Go Habs go!!!

31. WVHabsfan says:

Go Habs go!!!! Nice post, CJ!

32. Willy the bum says:

According to hockey30.com, is Price actually ready for Game 7? Or are the reporters that desperate?

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
    (applause)

33. CJ says:

Well folks, I’m golfed, showered, gin and juiced and ready to roll. Out the door to join Spats and company in hopes of hoisting the flag of the Montreal Canadiens in west end Ottawa.

Win, or lose we have lots to be proud of. I haven’t time for my usual rant (I can hear the collective sigh….), but I’ll leave you with one final thought….. I hope the boys play to win. Go out fighting. Don’t play to lose. Have fun and enjoy the moment. For many of these guys, this could be the end. Make it count, battle, contest every inch, but above all else, play to win.

So, it’s a Go Habs Go! What, is this a funeral? I said, Go HABS Go! That’s better! Now keep it going!

Cheers, CJ

• Willy the bum says:

Well said, CJ! There is never a moment like this again, so make the best of it now. The outcome will come soon, and either way we’re proud of our team no matter what.

< "And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to… Tomas Plekanec."
      (applause)

34. sreuel says:

Wonder if Boone will start blog saying I have a bad feeling about this. A hab blogger that can’t say a good thing

35. monmick says:

Game on; mes ami(e)s…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

36. Hockey Bob says:

Halte là, halte là, halte là, les Canadiens, les Canadiens. Halte là, halte là, halte là, les Canadiens, sont là. Les Canadiens, les Canadiens sont là!

37. Paz says:

Man, would I ever like to receive promotional emails from Postmedia-Canada.com Network.
    It’s like they read minds.

38. Habcouver says:

I don’t care if Danny Boy plays 5-7 minutes, as long as he scores that winning goal!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

39. MontrealAtheist says:

You just know that today is one of those days where our boys will show up and deliver. You just know that they will deliver a near-fearless performance and nothing less will suffice to withstand the pressure that the Rangers will undoubted have in store for us. GHG!

40. habstrinifan says:

I have a very strong feeling that Bournival will score the first goal tonight. I think his place in tonight’s lineup was ordained in the stars on day 1 of training camp. Weise’s injury is unfortunate but the Hockey Gods work in mysterious ways.

41. Texus says:

Vanek and Gallagher pot some tonight :D

42. mrhabby says:

Vanek is way over due. His last 2 games as a Canadien.

43. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Dunboyne: for some reason it doesn’t show when i post from my phone. Rest assured that it has been taken care of!

44. Captain aHab says:

Vanek will wake up tonight….I thought he was playing better last game. He’ll be just in time to go on a hot streak at the same time as Max. Wouldn’t that be lovely with a maximum of 9 games left this year.

Can’t wait to see if Galchenyuk keeps building. He was playing with a bit of an edge at times last game. Put 10 more pounds on that boy in the offseason and he’ll be a beast next year.

Habs need to annoy Pouliot and Dorsett and get them to do something silly.

And finally, Dump It Behind Diaz!!

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

45. Willy the bum says:

It happened at the last game and I will do it tonight: I can’t watch the game. I have to admit my weak nerves and always feel doozy (in a nausea kind of way) whenever a player, on both teams, almost score. And I feel it may be my fault to be out in town on game night, ’cause whenever that happens the Habs lost. I always stay at home to watch causing the Habs to win. So if whenever happen, you can blame on me.

But win or lose, I am happy to be proud of our team in a glorious year, and will be back better in the next season, despite all the naysayers who thinks they may not be as top-form in the future as it is now (like the Penguins). Great organization, including Marc Bergevin and the team, with a great coaching staff lead by Michel Therrien, and the resilient players lead by Gionta, Price, Subban, Markov, Gorges, and others.

Go Canadiens, win this one tonight and hope to break my superstitions. And if any of you here need some inspirational music to pump up your fanatic support, listen to Jerry Goldsmith’s piece called Tryouts, coming from the film Rudy. I hear this when I saw the movie the other day and boy, it does reach me to cheer on.

Best of luck to you all, and hope to be here for Game 7 as well!

< "TO-KAR! TO-KAR! TO-KAR!"

46. habsfan0 says:

Seguing somewhat, it looks like the CFL season could be in danger.

I’ll bet Chad(LBJ’s last name)is none too pleased with that development,regardless of how far the Habs go.

47. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Game 7. Price starts. Book it.

48. Dunboyne Mike says:

Danno!!!

“You should drop the S from your name and stand in front of Lucic.”

Replied half an hour ago, still laughing! Beauty!

49. JF says:

I have a bad feeling that Lundqvist will stone us tonight and that Tokarski will not be great. This feeling is partly reverse jinx, but also real foreboding.

• Chris says:

The Lundqvist stoning is a very real threat…that is the down-side of giving Henrik Lundqvist 3 shots at putting you out of a series.

He’s carried some not so great Rangers teams to improbable wins…this Rangers team is a very good one.

For whatever reason, the Habs seem to have a harder time keeping their energy up if they aren’t rewarded with an early goal. I’m desperately praying that the Habs can get another early one tonight to put some doubt in the Rangers’ minds.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

An early goal by the Habs would really get the Rangers off their game.. A second could send them into a spiral.. Let’s hope we bury one early!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• frontenac1 says:

I have a very good and relaxed feeling about tonight’s game. We’ve got the win. Saludos!

• frontenac1 says:

The opening line in Vegas had the Rags at -160. The Chumps have been flooding in and the spread is now up to -190. Love it! We got the win tonight amigos!

• Adidess says:

He will be determined and focused tonight, no question. But I think it also depends on how many good saves he gets to make early. Sometimes, one of the first few shots a goalie faces is of the ‘unstoppable’ variety. Once you allow one early goal, even not by your own fault, then it can be doubt territory again. I am with Chris, scoring one in the first tonight is paramount.

Go Team CHanada!

50. on2ndthought says:

Win for Weiss
    Prevail for Dale

BTW; i don’t think Pleks was trying to draw a penalty, he saw the stick coming up, went to protect his face, realized it missed, and felt kind of foolishly in the motion. maybe just me wanting to think so

“a cannonading drive”

51. Habilis says:

Still very much NOT ready for the season to end. We must win tonight, and so we shall.

Go Habs Go

52. jsaz says:

Ppl on here saying it’s just a game….. It’s not just a game! it’s the ECF to get to the cup. Gitty up boys. Let’s hope prust has a big impact tonight.

53. theflukester says:

Well I hope the boys can bring it again tonight. Go HABS Go!!

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

54. Adidess says:

Should I share that, deep down, I’m not feeling like my usual optimist self for tonight? Ok, I guess I just did…

I know Habs have not played their very best so far in this series. I know we handled Boston pretty well, if not handily. I know this NY team is very beatable. I know the Toker has been more than fine in goal, etc. But something about winning the Eastern Conference Finals with Tokarski in net seems just too good to be true. I am hopeful, but so very fearful…

Listen, this is a huge opportunity for our team, with possible homecourt advantage in the Finals. So yes, I really, really want to go the dance. But the more I think about it, the more I understand it will be a huge bonus if we force a game 7 tonight and then get to the Stanley Cup dance.

I guess what I’m saying is I’m ready for a big win tonight. But I’m also prepared to deal with the less fortunate possibility.

I hope nobody comes after me for saying this, after an eventual win tonight. I’ll probably be happier than anyone:-)

Go Les Boys go!

• habsfan0 says:

I understand perfectly where you’re coming from.
      I felt exactly the same way when the Habs elected to go with some unknown in nets to start the 1971 playoffs,some hick who had all of 6 NHL regular season games under his belt to that point.

Ken Dryden.

• Good Habits says:

I’m going back and forth too.

My rational brain tells me we are pushing our luck.

My emotional brain tells me that we got this.

I’m going to pop a Xanax and make a decision.

• Chris says:

I’m honestly less emotionally invested than previous years. I’m hoping they pull it out, but I’m strangely getting very sick of hockey right now.

They’ve got to do something to compress the season. Having the Stanley Cup finals possibly overlap the World Cup is just ridiculous. You know there is something wrong when you are watching the epitome of winter sports celebrating its most treasured championship at the same time as the epitome of summer sports celebrates its most treasured championship.

• Le Jadester says:

I hear ya.
        I don’t understand why they just don’t start the NHL season in early September …….then they’d be done by May twofour, no ?

Habs, OLE !

• CH Marshall says:

Agree with you. Even shortening the season by ten games would be ideal. However thst impacts their economics so fat chance

• Adidess says:

Watching hockey in June feels weird for sure and overlapping with the WC is downright ridiculous. Not sure how it came to this actually, because the NBA starts a full month later and they are at the same stage of playoffs as the NHL right now.

But anyway, I’ll certainly take it if my team is playing…

• mrhabby says:

right on..as we get a little older it becomes more of a game..just a game…i cant believe i said that.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

For me it has more to do with lifestyle.. I like to be up as close to sunrise as possible during warm weather… Tougher to stay up at night.. Late starts this series, my lady is a teacher and has only been staying up until the end of the 2nd… Softball season has started… Felt cheated with game 1 being on a Saturday afternoon (where the Habs suck and Rangers excel) to start the series.. Missed the first two periods of last game while at softball… MLB is starting to heat up, sloppy baseball has all but ceased, pitchers are stretched out…

Hockey should start the playoffs on April 1st, be over mid May.. 56 days Max for the playoffs…

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Very much doubt you’re on your own with that particular inner conflict!

Dare to hope!

And remember: if we bring it, our A-Game beats theirs.

• habstrinifan says:

I have a supermarket pizza ready to heat and pig out if the worse happens.. and 25.00 on the trunk ready to pay the pizza guy for the sumptuous pizza I would be ordering with 5 minutes left and us holding a 2 goal lead.

I dont have overtime covered! There is no food that could see me thru that.

I will be pigging out.. a regular win or loss… cause I wont be going to bed before 3:00am either way.

• habcertain says:

I think you have covered both positions quite nicely.

55. Le Jadester says:

No Weise tonight sucks.
    He’s been one of my faves.
    I hope he’s back ASAP !!!
    I had to vote for him too!

Glad Prustie is back though……him and Toker have to play big and fuel the team with confidence to win tonight!

Habs, OLE !

56. HairyHabist says:

If they play at the compete level they did on Tuesday night, they’ll win tonight too.

57. Cal says:

Book of Hab
    Chapter 14
    p.17

And the Blessed Ones ventured forth
    Into the New City seeking just reward.
    The Foe awaited with slavering jaws;
    Anxious It was for the battle to
    Be renewed.
    And lo, the pennants flew in the Temple
    And the roars of The Faithful echoed
    In the vast distance between.
    As the sun waned, both Lion and Foe
    Awaited their Doom.

So sayeth the Book of Hab

58. D Mex says:

Anyone seen BriPro ?
    He and his good omen are overdue to log into the A1 / 1A slot here tonight …

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

59. Paz says:

If Vanek can’t shoot because he has a hand injury, can’t skate because he has a leg injury, and he doesn’t really try that hard because he kind of needs a heart transplant, why is he in the lineup again??

60. JohnInTruro says:

Chris, who would you like to see us draft?

• Chris says:

Can’t say…I only really follow the OHL during the regular season. I don’t know enough about the QMJHL or WHL to comment on the relative merits of those players.

But I would be ecstatic if the Habs somehow landed Nikolay Goldobin, the 6’0″ 185 pound winger from Sarnia that should be available somewhere around where the Habs are drafting. He is a gem…great hands, great speed, great shot. And his familiarity with Galchenyuk might be an added bonus.

My love of Robby Fabbri from the Guelph Storm is well known, but he is probably not a great fit for Montreal (he would be great on Detroit as an eventual replacement for Datsyuk).

I would take a pass on Josh Ho-Sang…haven’t been impressed with him. I didn’t get a chance to see Eric Cornel or Ryan MacInnis this year…missed the Petes when they came through, and Kitchener were awful this year so I skipped those games.

Wouldn’t go near Anthony DeAngelo with a 10-foot pole (he’s most likely to slide in my opinion). I’m very surprised to see Ritchie ranked so high, but he probably has massive upside as he is a big kid growing into his body. Jared McCann is a good player, but I was a bit surprised to see him ranked so highly. Good two-way player, decent offence in his draft year despite playing for a more defensively oriented team…but he just didn’t scream elite prospect to me.

• JohnInTruro says:

Good insight though thanks Chris. Always love the draft and I’m hoping they do it like they did last year. Really enjoyed the all day event. Helped we had a lot of picks…

61. habsfan0 says:

Tokarski is overdue for a shutout.
    No time like the present.

62. Danno says:

I still call him the Toker.

How, when and why did he suddenly become Ticker?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• mark-ID says:

I could be wrong, but I believe thats what the players are calling him. Remember seeing one of the guys being interviewed…and I heard him(forget who) say Ticker.

• Butterface says:

He fidgets a lot… has many ticks.

Maybe he became Ticker…..

Who knows how these things start….maybe one day he said he had a dream he was in a ticker tape parade.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

63. Butterface says:

You can’t continue to get impressive performances after a bad game…. Lumpy is about to crack.

Look for Lumpy to get a .810 SV%

Finally we will see Vanek get some offense generated.
    Gionta will come up big.

Habs again by 3.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

64. Habs 7
    Rags 2

Off to Soccer, actually it’s a rod trip to Butt ______ Neepawa, MB so I won’t be watching the game until at least 10 PM. By that time this place will be Good Rockin Tonight with Stu _______.

We win if Therrien giveS Briere even less ice time than last game.
    We win if Eller and Galchenyuk get PP time AND Gionta doesn’t.
    We win if Max scores at least one.
    and lastly we win because the Rags are that bad!

GO HABS GO

OH WHAT’S THAT, NEW PREDICTION

Habs 8
    Rags 1

TOKER TOKER TOKER

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Don’t Poke The Bear

65. DipsyDoodler says:

Where’s Boone’s lucky bad feeling?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

66. wutanged says:

Gio with a big one tonight

67. gumper says:

In keeping with my suggestions for inspirational speeches from Henry V for tonight’s game. Now I admit that most guys would stare blankly at MT and wonder if he’s had a stroke, but just the same….
    For Crispian and St. Crispian substitute ECF.

He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say ‘To-morrow is Saint Crispian:’
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
    And say ‘These wounds I had on Crispin’s day.’
    Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
    But he’ll remember with advantages
    What feats he did that day

We’re bringin’ it home. Get ready for a hell of a comeback.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I truly love this site.

• Rugger says:

In the past 30 years, I have heard the Henry V “for he who sheds his blood this day is my brother” lines 4-5 times from different Rugby Captains (and I used it as a Rugby coach before a championship game). Willie S. was on a roll when he wrote that one!

68. AceMagnum says:

It’s gonna be a heartbreaking overtime loss for the Habs tonight. But when it happens…lets not get too down on them. Under the circumstances they had a great series.

• Paz says:

you seem like the kind of guy who is extremely successful.

• Chris says:

Oh, come on Ed…all of these predictions, for or against, are equally silly. They have no bearing on the game.

And I don’t think that somebody being pessimistic or cynical is necessarily a detriment to success. There is a nice article on it here. The gist: for optimists, cheery happy thoughts make them more successful, while pessimists are often more successful when they envision how things might fail. If you try to make a pessimist envision things the same way an optimist does, they perform far, far worse.

Both are bad when taken to the extreme. But both can be very useful. I tend to be more pessimistic by nature, and I think it absolutely helps my teaching: because I am always worried about what might go wrong, I go into every class so over-prepared that nothing eventually does go wrong. The key is that you have to maximize the benefits while minimizing the detriments of pessimism or negative thinking.

Personally, I think there should be a lot more pessimists behind the bench as head coaches. The pessimist will figure out all the things the team is doing wrong, and will work to figure out how to minimize them. As long as you hire some optimists as assistant coaches to do the rah-rah stuff with the players, it can work beautifully.

• Paz says:

Chris, you certainly have a way of explaining yourself, and I respect you for that.

Here’s who I am.

I’m a single father who has spent the last 21 years bringing up 3 amazing kids without their mom,unfortunately.

This has kind of pushed me to become more of an optimist, because being a pessimist is a crappy way to bring up children.

The “power of positive thinking” has taken my family a long way.

I respect your point of view, though.

• habcertain says:

Do both you guys realize this is only a hockey game, I mean just a game…….Paz, congrats on raising great kids as a single father, no easy task I’m sure.

• Paz says:

Thank you!

• Chris says:

It’s just a minor pet peeve…I find it weird that there is always a battle between optimists and pessimists instead of a more “let it be” vibe. I can’t think of a more boring world than one full of optimists, nor can I think of anything more depressing than a world full of pessimists. The variety should be celebrated. :)

• habcertain says:

Amen

• Paz says:

Live, and let live, Chris! You’re absolutely right.

I had a bad moment. I agree.

• punkster says:

Ummm…so where does Timo fit in to all this?

Release the Subbang!!!

• gumper says:

Reverse jinx?

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• Timo says:

But… but…. Habs have Bouillon?

• habsfan0 says:

What part of Toronto are you in?

69. ffenliv says:

If Borque bags another hattie tonight, I think we can confidently annoint him as the greatest Habs playoffs performer of the past 3 days.

If Vanek ever scores again, we can just stop ragging on him.

If Gorges puts on in the OTHER team’s net, I think he gets a contract extension.

If Tokarski scores .. he’s still gonna be traded someday.

70. habfan01 says:

Earlier in the day, someone posted we all have to keep the same routine we did on Tuesday. Sucks that I have to watch the game sober again.

• Habcouver says:

I am not having my mother in law over for dinner again!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Big Buffy Boat Club says:

I’m recording the 1st period while at my daughters soccer game (same as Tuesday), with the same friend (as on Tuesday), and I also left work 10 minutes early (like Tuesday), just incase.

———————————————————————————-
      “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.”

• Chris says:

I still have the flu. So you can all thank me, because 3 days of very little sleep due to fever and coughing has not been awesome fun, especially considering that summer finally decided to arrive while I’ve been sick. :)

71. bjmmn says:

Vanek gets one past Hank tonight. You read it here first.

72. Say Ash says:

Yeah baby!

73. Born in a Bad Year says:

Am I first?

74. The Prustean Age says:

And/or assist on a goal. -Ugh! Don’t ruin that awesome song, MSG!

Screw the “hockey gods”!

75. UKRAINIANhab says:

BINNNGOOO

76. hablifting says:

Yup, this is a NY team that made the playoffs by 3 points. CHI/LA will completely dominate the finals. MTL would have probably had the same problems.

77. Ozmodiar says:

:lol:

/ doesn’t make sense

78. AH says:

I so hope you’re right, I’ve had enough of his avg. regular seasons and then disappearing in the playoffs.

79. Mr.Habs71sv says:

Let’s hope the Hawks comeback. F the Kings. I am sick and tired of them. They get confused and think they have 24 titles and not just one. Please enough.

Habs fan period. (No hyphens)

80. CAPSLOCK DAN says:

kiss my ass you anti-semetic lowlife shit.

81. CAPSLOCK DAN says:

bring it bitch!

82. UKRAINIANhab says:

Your an idiot.

83. habsinnyc says:

Fuck off.

84. CAPSLOCK DAN says:

John Kordic would kick your ass if he heard you right now.

85. UKRAINIANhab says: