Liveblog: Conference Final Game 5 – Canadiens win wild one to stay alive

GalchCelebrates

A wild one at the Bell

Even at inflated playoff prices, the fans got their money's worth as the Canadiens won 7-4 to force a sixth game.

It wasn't easy.

A 4-1 lead with Henrik Lundqvist on the bench should have been safe.

It wasn't.

The Rangers scored three unanswered goals – on six second-period shots – to tie it.

Rene Bourque restored the Canadiens' lead with his second of the game and added a third as insurance.

Other scorers were Alex Galchenyuk, on an early power play; Tomas Plekanec, Max Pacioretty and, into an empty net 2ith more than four minutes left, David Desharnais.

Dustin Tokarski made 23 saves, including some big ones in the third period.

Killer instinct

Rene Bourque's third of the game and David Desharnais's empty-netter put this one out of reach.

Goaltenders battle?

Early goals by Max Pacioretty and Rene Bourque chased Henrik Lundqvist.

4-1 and back to NYC for Game 6, right?

Wrong.

The Rangers got three quick goals by Rick Nash, Derek Stepan (his second of the game) and Chris Kreider, on a power play, to throw a pall of gloom over the Bell Centre.

Rene Bourque's second goal of the game and beat Cam Talbot restored the lead.

But this is a nervous building.

The Rangers scored on three of their six shots in the period.

At last, a lead

The Canadiens started fast and struck early as Alex Galchenyuk tipped in a P.K. Subban rocket on a power play less than two minutes in.

The Rangers tied it on a 45-foot Derek Stepan wrister that dropped six inches on Dustin Tokarski's blocker side. This after the Toker made a spectacular save on Carl Hagelin.

Less than two minutes later, Tomas Plekanec beat Henrik Lundqvist glove side from distance.

Canadiens had a 12-10 shot dvantage.

They'll start the second period shorthanded.

(Insert desperation cliché)

Win or go home.

Do or die.

Tuesday dawned overcast and drizzly in Montreal, where your Canadiens face an ominous situation that matches the weather.

The team has faced elimination twice before in the 2014 playoffs. They won Games 6 and 7 to eliminate the mighty Bruins.

Can they win Game 5 to stay alive against the Rangers?

This team has displayed character and resilience all through the regular season and playoffs, up to and including two overtime thrillers at Madison Square Garden.

It's unlikely Bell Centre fans will have to endure the kind of Game 5 stomping that ended the Canadiens' playoff series against Ottawa last year.

And regardless of the final score, we should celebrate a 2013-'14 that exceeded the expectations of all but the most delusional Habs supporters.

This team has taken us on a helluva ride.

And it isn't over.

Puck drops at 8 p.m.

Check back later for live game blogging.

• What was Alexei Emelin doing on Game 4's winning goal? Not much of anything.

• Pre-game viewing: Michael Farber's excellent TSN feature on Ginette Reno

• It worked for the Kings. The brilliant Josie Gold suggests Ginette needs a Slash approach to change the Canadiens home-ice luck in this series.

Ginette Reno

1,868 Comments

1. CHicoHab says:

Excuse me. I mean Moore.

2. mfDx says:

Positives:
    Bourque was a monster vs Tampa Bay, and a ghost the next 12 games until tonight.
    Pacioretty, Plekanec and Desharnais all scored. The scneid is still there, but there’s an exit up ahead.
    No J Moore or Carcillo to fuss over. Dorsett will play,though. (there’s no way the league will suspend two Rangers unless they take Bourque out as well) Vignault can do his “between the whistles” thing.
    Folks may stop pooing on Emelin if they find out he played 2 and a half periods on a broken foot.
    Carey Price will be relatively well rested for the Cup final.

Sent from my CHphone

3. CHicoHab says:

Dorsetts skates left the ice too on that hit I believe??

4. Habcouver says:

Waiting on the new thread for you.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

5. DipsyDoodler says:

You know, HNIC isn’t all bad. They still have a Canadian sensibility. Yes, they’ve brought in some fools recently, but there are also some very good interviewers and commentators: thoughtful guys like Hrudey or Friedman, who would probably be too demure for US TV.

Sportsnet will be all snazzy graphics and loudmouth opinionators.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

6. Butterface says:

Never seen a cross check to the chest garner a suspension. It was not all that bad and it was retaliation for a unprovoked jab. I don’t think Bourque has to worry…… at least he better not.

Dorsett will likely get a fine for his head butt. I don’t see the league suspending him. But (pun) I can hope.

Moore I think will have 2-4 games. It was a head shot. Worse than Prust’s.

What I really want to know is how many times have the rangers run our goalie or pushed players into our goalie. Nash has hit Tokarski 3 times.

I don’t think we have done that to Lundqvist.

Not sure why the league is not discussing it with the Rangers.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

• D Mex says:

According to post-game comments by Ron MacLean, Dorsett should be in line for supplementary discipline after snow-spraying one of the little flag bearers. Where the he!! do these nimrods come from !?

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Butterface says:

I don’t know how mush trouble you can get for a snowing…. maybe a fine. He might get a minimum fine for each…. I never saw the snowing, but how bad can a snowing be ?

If on purpose it is only classless.

I think a headbutt is worse.

***********************
        If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
        ***********************

• marvin20 says:

the snowing of a child wherein a habs jersey was very classless and disrespectful. I was shocked and disappointed when I saw it. It reminded me of the water bottle incident in boston. Compounding the snowing with a head butt (attempt to injure) some discipline should be expected

• shlamiel says:

prust 5 minutes and game misconduct. he will be suckered into stupid penalties WATCH.

7. SKHab says:

I made the mistake of watching TSN That’s Hockey 2Nite. Not impressed by the guys who are making the comments. They make the super obvious and are still pretty biased against Canadiens. Making light of the Dorsett head butt.

8. jsaz says:

Wiess is a tough cookie. He’ll be all good

9. Bob_Sacamano says:

DROP THE DAMN PUCK! Sorry, I just can´t wait for game 6.

10. CHicoHab says:

Little disappointed in Plekanecs academy award gone bad. He doesn’t need to stoop that low. Cost us a goal. You’ll never see him do that again I imagine.

11. CAPSLOCK DAN says:

TONIGHT’S POST GAME SONG: “Long Live Rock and Roll” BY Rainbow

12. D Mex says:

@ BriPro
    Appears your W-L record as ” first ” poster on the liveblog remains intact & unblemished. Nice work – congrats !
    I’m on a plane with the draft pick late Thursday so unable to be here for the game, but you’ve got carte blanche to do whatever it takes to bring the boys home for Game 7. Keep up the good work !

Love them Habs !
    :-D

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

13. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

From the Blueshirt Bulletin Twitter:

Blueshirt Bulletin @NYRBlueBulletin

What makes the Moore hit look worse is the fact it’s from the blindside & he obviously was gunning for him. Stupid? Yes. But suspension? No.

Blueshirt Bulletin @NYRBlueBulletin

Again, I didn’t think the Moore hit was as bad as others but I agree head contact. But upon review I still don’t see it as late. IMO #NYR

So in conclusion, they agree that it was a head shot, but that it doesn’t warrant a suspension. WTF???
    X X X X X X X X X X 6 5 4 3 2 1

• johnnylarue says:

Looking forward to the day when the league’s cockamamie splitting-of-hairs over crap like this is behind us once and for all, and obvious attempts to injure and reckless plays are punished without question.

The fact that someone could argue that a hit like this doesn’t warrant a suspension because it happened 0.2 seconds SOONER than the hit on Prust is absolutely ludicrous.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

A blindside premeditated headshot. That’s how they’ve described it. But hey, we can overlook and suspension talk. Nothing to see here. What tools. They also described Dorsett’s head butt:

Blueshirt Bulletin @NYRBlueBulletin

On Dorsett- shoulder first, I think its being exaggerated

X X X X X X X X X X 6 5 4 3 2 1

• johnnylarue says:

Hilarious.

I suspect the Rangers faithful are in a state of blind panic now, having seen this all unfold once before.

They’ll be skating on eggshells on Thursday.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Eggshells would be better than that sad excuse for ice they had the last game!

X X X X X X X X X X 6 5 4 3 2 1

14. CAPSLOCK DAN says:

SO I TAKE IT OFFICER TOKARSKI WILL BE PLAYING FOR THE BIG TEAM NEXT YEAR?

15. AceMagnum says:

PRUST IS WAITING

• johnnylarue says:

Holy smokes–I almost forgot!

I think Prust in and Moore out, along with the added pressure on the Rags of playing in front of their notoriously volatile home crowd definitely gives us a psychological edge.

Fearless prediction: Game 6 will be fun.

16. ebk says:

Bergevin has been amazing with his acquisitions but none better than Tokarski for Desjardins last Feb, what a fleecing!!!!!!!

17. johnnylarue says:

Seeing Price in full gear at practice gave ME a ginormous infusion of hope… I can only imagine the effect it had on his teammates.

18. Mr_MacDougall says:

Jeez… Worried about the bad ice at MSG… Hope the Habs are more cautious with bouncing pucks..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

19. 24AW says:

Gotta give them credit on a big win, but I still don’t think they can do it, sorry gang this team is too streaky to make a believer out of me. must admit they have gone a lot farther than I ever expected. should they take the Rangers out than I’ll admit I’m a loser to every Habs fan on this site.

20. Puck Bard says:

Please tell me this team has learned they can beat these a-holes?

21. Storman says:

50 Cent throws out one of the worst first pitches ever today in NY

22. nova scotia vees says:

These guys are hard on the heart! P.K fantastic..30 minutes. And yet that piece of crap, Simpson blames him on the Gorges brain dead own goal. And who picked Markov as a star? HNIC is a disgrace. McLean makes the snide comment that PK goes down awfully easy. Anyone would fall down when their skates are kicked out from behind. Please Rogers..can this bunch.
    V.

23. C-Sword says:

Like I said earlier, if the Habs really wanted to take revenge on the Rags for injuring Price, they could’ve just let Subban slapshoot those pucks at them during the 5 mins powerplay. Missed opportunity.