Liveblog: Another blown lead

CelebrationinPitt

Scott Gomez in a Shootout?

Shootout:

Letang: Save!

DD: Save

Malkin: Goal

AK46: Broken stick!!

Neal: Save

Gomez: Save

1,018 Comments

1. 5imon5ays says:

Another third period meltdown! The Habs must have blown more games with a lead in the third than the rest of their division, conference?
    How do you explain Gomez’s ice-time, especially on the PP? His production and effort certainly don’t merit it.
    Are they trying to “showcase” Gomez so that some other GM is stupid enough to take him off their hands? It’s not working as he hasn’t impressed anyone except his banker and Gainey for the past 5 years or longer. His stats speak for his effectiveness as his negative +/- total has to be close to the number of goals he’s scored in that time.
    Or, is Cunneyworth purposely trying to get himself fired before the end of this season? How else can anyone following this team explain Gomez’s ice time and to top it off, as the 3rd shooter in tonight’s shootout after being roundly criticized for using Kaberle in the previous shootout.
    Un…believable!
    Create cap room, send them to Hamilton, the sellout crowds will happily finance that move!

• TheCos says:

Freedom is the right to BE wrong, not the right to DO wrong!
      I have to agree with Pleks – This is a team that is not playing with confidence – they are playing like they are all skating on thin ice and are afraid of making a mistake. That’s where some shrewd coaching comes in, especially with the younger players. Don’t dwell on what they do wrong, focus more on what they do right!

2. nova scotia vees says:

I can’t figure out why Montreal looked more engaged tonight than the last game. Perhaps it is the guy between the pipes? Do they not want to play for Price? Of course, Budjai is no Halak…but with Pens getting 38 shots, he still did okay. And he stopped 2 of 3 in the shoot-out. As for trading P.K….good lord, some of you are complete idiots. Good coaches (know any?), nurture and develop, young talent…not the Habs. And where was the winger when P.K. shot it up the boards?? We were on a power-play, and yet we get out-manned in our own zone! Some times I think that it is more about the color of his skin. What’s the matter guys…doesn’t he know “his place”? A good coach would have P.K. go on the rush, with a forward rotating back..(see tapes of Bobby Orr, or watch Detroit). Did I say good coach? I am certifiable.

• Bill says:

Can’t have it both ways. If Price sucks for cracking and being part of the third period collapses, same applies to Budaj.

Obviously, it’s neither goalie’s fault. But neither is exactly delivering an inspiring season, at the same time. It’s just that the Habs have way, WAY bigger problems than their goaltending. Like every other aspect of their game, for starters.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• cupdelusions says:

Hey Bill… WRONG Its Prices fault.He gives up the first goal 75% of the time THE WORST IN THE NHL.(Budaj 23%;Halak 17% btw Halak has 260 minutes of shutout hockey going…)Prices STATS ARE MIDDLE OF THE PACK.We have 3 out of 4 points from BUDAJ who was at one time the starting goalie for Colorado.
        Price is MARKETED AS A GREAT GOALIE.HE is not!!!!!He has won nothing.He is 8 and 15 in the playoffs.We have had 5 years of PRICE!!!His surly attitude really rubs me the wrong way.

PLEASE I DONT WANT TO SEE PRICE AGAIN THIS YEAR!!! PLEASE!!!HAVE MERCY!!

A canonnanding drive!!

• Bill says:

Well Budaj was nothing special tonight. Coughed up the lead twice, late in the game to boot, and lost in the shoot-out as well. Isn’t that the stuff that people say Price sucks for doing?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HardHabits says:

3 of the 4 goals were due to serious defensive zone collapses and errors. The 4th was a pure snipe on the heels of the Habs playing rope a dope. Budaj is equal to Price with less hype and a lesser cap hit, especially moving forward.

• Mark C says:

Budaj was beat twice up top while he was down on his knees. Anti-Price people always whine about this is Price. Budaj is equal to Price, in what? Price’s SV% is 0.13% higher, and his 5 years younger.

Do you really believe there are NHL decision makers that would take Budaj over Price even with the higher cap number?

• Mark C says:

How can Budaj be at 23%, hasn’t he started 7 games?

• 5imon5ays says:

23%! That just means that in the games he DID start, the Habs scored the first goal 77% of the time.

• keithman11 says:

Dude relax, it’s like Price punched out your wife or something.

Anyways, I think Price will be an elite goalie.

You going to caps lock argue me now? Opinions differ. Relax. And youou will see Price again this year. Tomorrow, in fact. So no mercy.

• cupdelusions says:

NOVA SCOTIA—You are so right!I love PK.He plays with passion.He has been overplayed all year and is beaten up.I played football and at age 56 I am beaten up permanantly.Subban is taking a beating as other teams isolate on him as he is the best defenseman on the team.He should be allowed to rush more but creativity and the Canadiens coaching staff should never be said in the same sentance!

A canonnanding drive!!

• cupdelusions says:

Getting beat by Malkin is no disgarce.When a 6’5″ star shoots at 100 mph only 25 feet away its no disgrace to be beat.What I saw tonight was a super quick lateral goalie,always alert(he got an assist),quicker glove hand than Price,doesnt give up rebounds,in short a REAL NHL GOALIE.Not a MARKETING COUP NHL GOALIE.

PLEASE NO MORE PRICE!!!!! NO MORE TORTURE!!!!

A canonnanding drive!!

• The Jackal says:

Great, idiots galore tonight, and all season long.

• cupdelusions says:

I am posting this link so YOU ALL CAN SEE.BUDAJ ranked 11th,and CAREY PRICE RANKED 60th!!!

After allowing 4 goals on 38 shots I dont think Budaj stats will change.

A canonnanding drive!!

3. Bill says:

Hey, know who’s awesome?

Rene Bourque.

24 shifts, 18:48 of ice-time. -1. 0 shots on goal.

I literally forgot he played for the Habs until just this second.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• cupdelusions says:

Bourque got a puck in the mouth in the first period and dissapeared after that.He did have 2 shots on goal.But he needs a real centreman.
      PLEASE NO MORE PRICE!!!! PLEASE!!! I BEG YOU!!!!

A canonnanding drive!!

• cupdelusions says:

BIG CHANGE TONIGHT!!! NO easy goals given up early!!! Canadiens had a solid lead,and if Campoli is put back in the Press box we will be ok.

PLEASE NO MORE PRICE!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

A canonnanding drive!!

4. WestHab says:

I kept saying to myself in the third “please let the tieing goal be as late as possible so we can at least get one point.”

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

5. smiler2729 says:

Bottom line:
    They win as a team and they lose as a team.
    The brain cramps and mistakes are not just on the same guys every game, it’s a collective thing where they take turns shift to shift screwing up…

Ahh, whatever.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

• cupdelusions says:

OK.Cunneyworth is better than Martin.No big deal.Randy Ladouceurs face contortions and giving PK crap was bogus.Ladouceur is bogus.What has he done to help the defense?NADA !NOTHING!…Giving PK crap on the play was so easy…How about some organiazation on the PP so that doesnt happen.Didnt the coaches see 2 men forechecing on the Canadiens Power play????A long pass is indicated in that situation.Cunneyworth adjusts during the game very poorly.He seems like a deer in the highlights…..
      In terms of shootouts.GET CREATIVE!!!!! How about the MIckey Redmond shot(whats that!!!????);How about some some practice on the Shootout.INCREDIBLE!!!!????

A canonnanding drive!!

• smiler2729 says:

The Hockey News’ Ken Campbell: Why the Lightning and Canadiens should trade coaches

Why not?
        ___________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam

6. Jim Edson says:

Somehow even if the Habs were to draft #1 in the back of my mind somehow it will get screwed up by politics, money or just plain arrogance by drafting some obscure player from an unknown program.

We will be told over and over that the player will be the “best athlete” on the board and all 6’2″ 160lbs of him will swim in the XXL size Habs jersey he puts on while on the stage.

Meanwhile the rest of the league goes about their business of getting better!

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

7. montreal ace says:

We really need some Dmen ours are not that good. I have watched games now, where we should be charging rent in our zone. I like Hal Gill but I would rather a young Dman playing now. First goal by Letang there was a nice hook on Pleks, should have been a call.

• cupdelusions says:

I have no respect for Pat Hickey especially when he made the horribly backwards thinking comments he made about Sexual abuse of a hockey player.That proved to me he has no right to have his opinions put in print.He should have been fired immediately.
      He is a dinosaur.His hockey comments are pap.devoid of any insight.And BORING! Oh so boring!!.Tonight he said on Radio the Canadiens are not mentally tough!! Really Pat…like you?

A canonnanding drive!!

8. JUST ME says:

I think Spacek on RDS sums it up pretty good when he says that the whole situation in Montreal this year is a mess. He does a good resume of the problems that prevents this team from playing competitive hockey. In his comments there are a few arrows thrown towards the fans and the atmosphere in town. I agree with him 100 %.

• mb says:

100% agree. Everything he said was true. And I’m pretty sure these arrows, like you stated, only represent what many players think when it comes to Montreal. No wonder why they’re not lining up to play here.

• HardHabits says:

The arrows are thrown at both the media and the fans. That is another reason why the Habs need to be outside the play-offs for a while. So the fans completely lose their sense of entitlement which is constantly being enabled by the press.

Let the rebuild happen proper and explain it to the fans who are mature enough to understand it and to hell with the fans and the media that continue to act like spoiled brats.

Montrealers deserve better than to be swindled. Why the hell should we pay so that other cities get to watch hockey for free.

9. 1973Habs says:

Did someone not remind Cunneyworth before the shootout that #11 is no longer Saku Koivu?

10. manu07 says:

Plecky looks like a fish out of water every shift. I thought when Cammi left it would make a difference but I guess not.

11. WestHab says:

Not that it would have made any difference but why is it that Pleks is never in a shoot out this season. Neither the Franco coach or the Anglo coach have used him. Pleks was used any other season and with some success. What gives?
    “Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

When it came down to the fine strokes, whether it be in regulation or the shootout, the team with the elite player won out.

I tip my hat to Malkin. There is no one on the Habs who could even think about lacing up this guy’s skates.

13. price365 says:

Oh it’s cryin time again, The Habs just loss one
    I can see that far away look in RC’s eyes
    I could tell when he put Gomez in the shoot out
    That it wouldn’t be long before it’s cryin time

Now they say that losing makes the heart grow weaker
    And that losing in the shoot out will make us grow
    But our love for RC could never grow no stronger
    If we play till we are a hundred years old

PG said he’s looking for some players that are better
    That’s the way it happened years ago
    And as sure as the sun comes up tomorrow
    Cryin time will start again when we leave T.O.

14. Dude of Dudes says:

Unbelievable! If only I had a picture of that!! Then I’d be laughing and laughing and laughing!! Don’t they see?? It’s been way too long. Too long for Cole especially. Anyway.

15. slapshot777 says:

Only thing with a high draft pick Trevor Timmins will have the say in who the Habs take. So if PG is still there he will have some input but this will be no doubt an organizational decision on this particular draft pick.

• Da Hema says:

On what grounds are you drawing this optimistic conclusion? The Montreal Canadiens are as disorganized and incoherent as any organization could be. They are a textbook example of organizational disarray. If drafting decisions will be, as you assume, “organizational,” then fans have even more reasons to be deeply concerned.

• outsider89 says:

Even their drafting sucks. MTL needed a big center for years, yet when their turn comes they always take the best player available. So this renders their scouts useless as they go by the CSS. Did MTL really need to keep drafting defencemen from the USA? When their needs were never adressed? Aside from Price, there is no impact player drafted by MTL in the 1st rnd, and by this I mean a point per game type of player.

• smiler2729 says:

Didn’t Timmins choose David Fischer over Claude Giroux? And AK46 over a dozen quality superstars???

Funny thing is the only good number one pick we’ve had is on the Rangers…

___________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam

• Da Hema says:

Yes he did Smiler. But momentarily we will have some posters here arguing that Trevor Timmins is a “guru.”

Editing addition: Just to clarify, I am not inferring Timmins is incompetent. I just reject the claim made by some that he is a scouting genius.

Another desperate move by a team that is trying to scratch it’s way into the playoffs. Just another day of recycling like when the Habs picked up Kaberle.

How do you say garage sale in French?

• Malreg says:

New Jersey desperately needs to make the playoffs. Apparently they are going to lose over $20 million this year.

• HardHabits says:

Devils are 8-1 in the shoot out and Habs are 1-7. I hate the loser point and the shoot out gimmick.

Let them play 5 minutes of 4 on 4 and then 5 minutes of 3 on 3. Somebody is bound to score using that format. When someone scores in OT make it 2 points for the win and 0 for the loss and if after 10 minutes nobody scores keep it a tie and split the points 1-1.

Loser point is pure horse manure.

17. NCRhabsfan says:

Here’s a different question.Is this the worst Habs team ever If not, why not? Which team was worse?

18. manu07 says:

PK is young and immature, however, when the Habs had that playoff run he was fantastic. And this year ye team is a mess with no structure. If anything this season will be a good learning experience for him. The worst thing Habs could to is get rid of PK. He will go to another team and end up developing into a great D and a PP specialist. PG has got to go but it is not gonna happen until the off season … Unfortunately!

• NCRhabsfan says:

Even bad teams have good players. PK is a good player playing on a bad team. He would make mistakes on a good team, but he will make more on a bad team. Get some decent guys around him and watch out.

• cupdelusions says:

Give PK a break.He will be a dominant offensive defensemen in 2 years a la coffee.Remember Lafleur scored 29 goals a year for the first three years and was nearly traded.
      PLekanic was -2 and is minus 13 for the season.Very weak one on one;doesnt win too many board battles.Weak in playoffs.Trade him.
      Budaj has given us 3 points in 4 games.No real weak goals.12 saves from ” close in chances”.Remember PRICE GIVES UP THE FIRST GOAL 75% OF THE TIME;HALAK 17%;BUDAJ 23%.BUDAJ is quicker laterally,and has a quicker glove hand than Price, and is a REAL NHL GOALIE.
      Using Gomez on the shootout was so bizarre.Cunneyworth is bizarre ala Gainey.Gaineys influence is palpable.
      Hey I saw the high slot used tonight.It is a great area to shoot from.I Can’t believe that it took this many games for the braintrust to figure out that it should be used on the PP!!!!!????????
      Shootout-Incredible!!!!My choices would have been cole,desharnais,plekanic.
      Anyways Budaj was great.1 goal scored on him was from Campoli(way to go Campoli you finally scored!!Next time try the other goalie);The other was when Gomez decided to have a walk over near the net leaving no one on the wing.(I think Gomer is a great nickname for Gomez! A Gomer is what we call an elderly patient who has lost his mental faculties).It was not SUBBANS FAULT!!
      Please No More PRICE…PLEASE!!!!!!!PLEASE!!!!!

A canonnanding drive!!

• Clay says:

Do you have a source for the ‘first goal allowed’ stat? If true, it is very interesting…

__________________________
        ☞ “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau. ☜

19. NCRhabsfan says:

Spend every dime you can find on scouts! Every dime. Because the whole future of the franchise depends on it. This team absolutely sucks! Very little talent and very little heart. The Habs need a GREAT pick, not a good one. If they’re going to spend big bucks again on a player, it cannot be another Gomez.

20. rogieshan says:

Bring back Pierre Dagenais and dress him as SO specialist.

No matter how you cut it, Cunneyworth has been responsible for the PP since the season began.

21. Bill says:

I really don’t even care when they lose any more. I still like it when they win, but I can’t get worked up about the losses. Isn’t that weird?

Or not. I mean, they’ve lost 30 out of 47 games this year, obviously I’m getting numb. Must suck for them though.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Lizardking89 says:

Yeah I’m the same way I just don’t care anymore. I’ve become numb to the loses as well.

• Clay says:

We are becoming the Leafs.

__________________________

• ArmyFan says:

Not weird at all, my man. My wife came downstairs tonight when they were ahead 4-2. I told her I was fully confident that they would lose the game. We all know how that panned out.

I have no confidence in this team. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that every loss means a higher draft pick. I’d rather they finished 30th in the league than 9th in the Conference.

• Clay says:

Hilarious! I said the virtually same thing to my wife when she commented on the lead: “There’s still plenty of time for them to blow the lead, and I’m sure they’ll use it wisely”

__________________________

• sprague cleghorn says:

Make that three of us. I said virtually the same to my wife.

‘ow could we forget dat?

• Clay says:

At least the team is predictable.

__________________________

• CHicoHab says:

they have lost 30??

“take your time and hurry up”

• mb says:

Feels exactly the same for me.

When they took the lead 4-2 I was like… “OK Malkin and friends, just score right now, we all know it’s going to happen. Why wait until last minute?”

Your word is spot on. Numb. I feel numb. I guess I expect a loss, so it’s no surprise.

22. bajd says:

Never mind this season, it’s in the tank. Please anyone out there–take a minute to look at where the Canadiens have finished each and every season for the past 15yrs; it might shock you. Personally, I think it might be rather unique in North American sports. If you look at the last 15yrs, the Canadiens average 15th overall in the regular season. Only once have they finished in the top 10 in the league and only once in the bottom 10. Every other year between 11th and 19th overall. What in the world is this organization’s philosophy? How can an organization be almost perfectly average for nearly a generation? It’s truly a bizarre accomplishment–literally every good trade is negated by a bad one, every good draft pick negated by a draft bust. Wonder if this season given that it’s trending way off the norm will be a positive catalyst or a negative one for the organization

23. ? It was a lottery for th entire league that year. Good example would be 03 when the Caps traded their entire team to get OV’s lottery pick, and I believe the Pens were worse but lost out. Either way they still got Malkin so in the end it was the better pick.

Funny at the time they were probably saying oh crap what bad luck.

Also look at picks 3, and 4. Can you imagine the Habs drafting that low and then getting losers.

That’s why you can’t depend on the draft.

Oh well, another game, another crappy night. I hope they at least beat the Leafs.

Jets tickets tomorrow night. Taking Matthew (11), he doesn’t know.

Do not stare at my grave and weep I’m not there I do not sleep, do not stare at my grave and cry, I’m not there I did not die.

God Bless Our Infantry

CAREY CAREY CAREY

EDIT- THIS WAS A REPLY TO A MEMBER, hehe I guess they left the building. I never deleted it.

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

24. frankcasting says:

How can Molson let The Ghost manage the trade deadline where we have to dump half a dozen dead weights for future prospects? He SO BADLY needs to go ASAP, along with Cunny , and now, they cannot let this go another frigging day. Kabarle? Gomez? OMG. Beyond embarrassing.

As for PK, the kid gives a damn and has more talent in his little finger than the rest of the D corps combined. Not his fault his teammates don’t know how to play hockey.

This is all coming down to Molson now. He needs to make the next move now.

Loving the Habs since 1965

• Da Hema says:

If this team’s fate resides in the hands of Geoff Molson, then I fear the worst. It was Molsons that approved Rejean Houle as general manager in the 1990s. What does Geoff Molson — or anyone in that corporation for that matter — know about running a hockey team?

25. C-Sword says:

Tonight’s loss was all part of their tanking plan. RC was ordered to lose as many games as possible, that’s why AK’s stick was broken before taking his shot and why the coach picked Gomez as the 3rd shooter.

26. shootdapuck says:

The picture said it all Subban arguing with Ladouceur and the entire bench staring straight ahead!

Nail him to the pine!

PK Subban – Million Dollar Legs, a Ten Cent Brain and a Costly Attitude!

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Well put.

• MrNax says:

And put Weber in? Diaz? More ice for Campoli? I don’t see how that makes any sense.

• shootdapuck says:

You have to draw the line somewhere!
        Talking to this guy isn’t getting it done.
        Game in and game out the same screw-ups!
        and he contributes squat to the offence!

PK Subban – Million Dollar Legs, a Ten Cent Brain and a Costly Attitude!

• Mad Habber says:

I thought Georges kind of looked at him and smiled (during his benching), you know kind of have you learned yet kid. I dunno maybe it was my imagination.

I think PK could us a game or two in the press box. I’m not ready to sell him off to the highest bidder though. He needs to sit, not just because of the skirmish behind the bench, but just so he can see he isn’t the only guy on the team. The team can suck (and win?) just as well without him.

• shootdapuck says:

Subban needs to held accountable as do all the players.

BUT he gets off by playing the “he’s only 21″ card over and over!

The media plays it and he ducks under the glare of the spotlight.

Beginning to think that a showboat like Subban needs to play in LA…..full time they love great soundbites and glib comments and don’t put much demand on the hockey side!

PK Subban – Million Dollar Legs, a Ten Cent Brain and a Costly Attitude!

• Mad Habber says:

When has the media played the he is only 21 card? The only thing I hear is how Subban did this wrong, Subban did that wrong. He did something right, but then celebrated wrong. He spit when a player skated by, bad Subban bad.

The whole Mike Richards ‘Subban yaps too much’ and how Elias told him to shut up when he was a rookie thing is bogus. Richard yapped like a little ankle bitter whenever the Habs played them well past his rookie year.

Lets face it, it was the same last year except last year the Habs were winning, and although he struggled through parts of the season he played well enough. He was a rookie, riding the high of the teams post-season success. Everybody was routing for him then, now everyone is quick to agree with the media.

If we are still having this conversation three or four years from now, fine. I’ll agree with you, but to me, it’s still to early to give up on him.

• CHicoHab says:

actually Subban was arguing with him not to use Gomez if it came down to a shootout

“take your time and hurry up”

• JUST ME says:

Although i agree that P.K. is in a rough spot and that he needs to be coached and maybe sat down in the pressbox, we should realize that he is still a kid ! We made him a god,we yelled endlessly when he was sent in the stands for a few days last year .

There is a in-between way to react. The way things are going it`s between he`s a god and fire the jerk ! Maybe we should remember that the guy has talent and potential and mostly that he is a young kid with an attitude ?
      Funny how P.K is a mirror on the ice of our own way of seeing things…

27. krob1000 says:

Subban, Eller and Pleks for Jussi Jokinen…..a shootout specialist and were in the playoff hunt lol…I didn’t see the game but I see another lead slipped away…..I thin, it is safe to say that the team is “tanking”…PRice is still the better goalie and this is teaching him a lesson and keeping us one point closer to a top pick, Gomez in the shootout? Gill 20 mins (talk about showcasing…he is playing the Pens who would probably be favorites to pick him up)……I see Kaberle got a couple of assists….Eller popped one, Patches did have to answer the bell…thought he would…..oh well to be honest I wish I had seen this loss …5-4 in a shootout must have at least been entertaining….better than 3-0 and no sign of life…I really don’t care at this stage…it is all about next year right now. I am very pleased to hear AK wants to be here too!!!

28. aj says:

I’m starting to find that the usual suspects of this night’s malaise are:

1) PK Subban
    2) Randy Cunneyworth
    3) Scott Gomez

What’s only missing is making them our Molson 3 stars of the night (voted by you, the fans).

29. MrNax says:

Re: Subban (and Cammy for that matter)

The guy is a winner. He wants to win. He plays to win. When he doesn’t win, he gets angry. I don’t want guys on my team that accept losing. I’d much rather have guys that get pissed off at the losers (see: Cammy) and and speak out from time to time than guys that shut up and pile up the losses.

I can’t believe we have Kaberle.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

But his mistakes have killed us & cost us many games.

• MrNax says:

Agreed. That’s the price of having a second year player in your top defense pairing. He will learn from them and come out a better player. Patience is needed with young players so that they can learn and develop. He is a stud and will be great. You can’t teach his vision, speed and talent. You can, however, teach him to reduce his mistakes…

• Da Hema says:

What has Cammalleri ever won? On what basis have you concluded he is a “winner?”

• MrNax says:

He has had a lot of success in the league. He is a has hit 39 goals in a season (not too many players reach that mark). He currently has the most goals scored by any hab in a single playoff run (think about that one). He wins.

30. shootdapuck says:

Had to be a Jedi mind game using the guy who is 0 for 1 (year) in a shootout.

Wonder which sport psychologist came up with that plan?

PK Subban – Million Dollar Legs, a Ten Cent Brain and a Costly Attitude!

31. smiler2729 says:

Tomorrow in the center of the universe, the Habs will win 9-0, Gomez will score 3 goals, Kaberle will have 5 assists, Price will get the Blanchissage, Bork Bork will beat up Lupner and Kessel…

Elsewhere, the Middle East will declare peace.

“Two And Half Men” will welcome back Charlie Sheen.

The Rams will move back to Los Angeles.

Jim Morrison will turn up alive in Vancouver.

And Brad Marchand will be outed by his chum Milan Lucic

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

32. The Dude says:

Fire Cunny in French and let him bump into the new Habs coach …. awkward!

33. novahab says:

Now in all fairness RC picked Gomez for a reason. He though Fleury would laugh so hard he wouldn’t be able to stop the puck. Well RC you were wrong agaiin he can laugh and still stop Gomez.

34. piter says:

I think it was done on purpose. I know this because our players were told to tank, but they STILL pulled out a point. We’re so bad, we can’t even lose a game right!

• aj says:

Yeah the Habs stank. But 1pt is better than none. Would you rather lose a game by gaining a point through OT or a SO loss or lose the game on a normal regulation w/o gaining a pt?

35. SmartDog says:

What is this FANTASY coaches have about Gomez?
    When the game comes down to his shot, you’ve got HUGE problems.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• vanderglenn says:

I felt the same as Cunneyworth. If the team is going to emerge from a funk, something different has to take place. Maybe Gomez scores a goal that rejuvenates his absolute patheticness (yeah it’s not a word) and some momentum builds. Coach is doing what he can. Sad, sad situation.

36. novahab says:

Someone pick up the GD phone and call Roy enough is enough.

37. SteverenO says:

Gomez on the shootout, like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

Gomez gets another 4 and a half minute son the PP and is also used in the shootout. This is a mockery.

There can be no explanation and no excuse. We’ve gone from ian incompetent coach to a retarded one.

Will any reporter have the guts to ask him why Gomez is getting PP time and shootout opportunity.

Did he score a goal in the pre game warmup, or in practice lately?

Gomez be a man, stand up and say NO THANK YOU, when asked to go out on the shootout, or on the PP. Tell the coach to choose someone else.

This madness has to stop.

Steve O.
    Qlik View – Data Discovery.
    Every team needs it- Every coach needs it.
    Every fan needs it!

38. alfieturcotte says:

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER

Another loss and we get closer to the realization that we are most certainly sellers, not buyers. Assuming teams will want to buy our “assets”.

Meanwhile, Gauthier’s paw prints remain on our team….Markov, Kaberle, gives up 2nd round draft choice to get Moore and after Moore excels as a Canadien opts not to sign him for $1.5MM, D’agostini, O’Byrne, Pouliot, Cammy (Bourque is not worth Moen), and yes, even Maxim Lapierre (at least he played with heart).

39. CHicoHab says:

Has there ever been 2 coaching changes on a team in the same season??

“take your time and hurry up”

40. LA Loyalist says:

As dark as this season has been, I never imagined we would be this pathetic.

And up next we have the Leafs on national TV.

There is no joy in Mudville.

41. novahab says:

I believe ther are few dirty teams in this league (HGH) the Pens are one . The others Nashville, Washington and the Leafs. I think they should install specials toilets in the vistors dressing room, that will collect samples. Have it tested and it will be positive. Go to Bettman and tell me, full testing year round or it goes to the press and we’ll rub your little rat face in it.

42. MannyR says:

This is one snakebitten team.
    Someone needs to cancel that contract with whomever supplies AK’s stick. How does that happen?

43. smiler2729 says:

Man, somebody needs to stick a freakin’ boot in Michel Bergeron’s smug mouth.

Was this guy always such an ass?

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

44. Habfan29 says:

Mr. Molson can we all agree now, that langauge aside, the RC experiment is done! Fire his ass now, where were Cole, Patches or Bourque in the SO as I was watching and saw Gomez I almost fell off my chair, I mean Gomez really. Time to hire a real coach that will start molding this team for next year. Cut RC RL lose now as this gong show is really getting embarassing, the habs have to play to win every game, RC plays Moen with Pleks during OT…WTF and while you are it show Gauthier the door for the Kaberle deal alone. This team is worse then any of the team the Houle assembled and those were some bad teams

• aj says:

RC doesn’t have to get fired. I’m sure he’s waiting for a phone call on whoever GM will ask him to coach to.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, this is the result of not firing JM after we choked against Boston in the playoffs last year (if you recollect we blew a 2 game lead – two ROAD games).

Now we are stuck with a truly “interim” coach. Aside from who is available and those issues, if PG is to be canned, it is ideal for the new GM to hire his own coach. If PG is to manage the 3rd 5 year plan in 5 years… the coaching pool is thin.

We are basically f*cked.

45. aj says:

I rest my case: I predict Jacques Martin is going to be the new GM of the Canadiens! How does that sound?

Only two teams have fewer regular season wins than the Habs.

47. Doc McCoy says:

Souray is +9 for the stars … pick him up for a song?

48. otter649 says:

Well if the first two Hab shooers did their job & scored it wouldn’t have put Gomez in such tuff position…….lol

49. duffy says:

Who would have thought the Montreal Canadians would become a comedy act.

50. EricInStL says:

Wow RC hanging Gomer out to dry by saying he was out of place

51. WindsorHab-10 says:

I want to be Habs-free this year. Any suggestions?

52. Le Jadester says:

So who gets their first goal of the season first ?

Gomez or Emelin ?

Habs, OLE !

53. Da Hema says:

Gomez in a shootout? Cunneyworth must have a perverse sense of humor.

54. Mad Habber says:

11 S. Gomez C G:0 A:0 PTS: 0 -1 PIM:0 S:2
    EV TOI: 11:23 PP TOI: 04:24

81 L. Eller C G:1 A: 0 PTS:1 0 PIM:0 S: 2 EV TOI:09:21 PP TOI: 00:00

• Da Hema says:

I have come to the conclusion that Gomez must have the most compromising of pictures of each and every coach and administrator of the Montreal Canadiens. Any other sane (uncorrupted?) person would have sent him permanently to Hamilton by now.

• Mad Habber says:

It could be that, but I think Sather told management if they tapped their heels and said 2006 three times Gomez would become a 30 goal scorer. They still haven’t figured out he was lying.

55. The Dude says:

Halak would of won that game !

56. Duracell3 says:

How many teams would be LAUGHED at by any hockey fan for using their highest paid forward third in a shootout?

57. kerrgte says:

Nothing more to say.

I’ll look in again next season.

Good work Pierre. Hope you’re replaced with a real GM.

58. WindsorHab-10 says:

Not too impressed with PK. Time to sit his butt down for a couple.

• Habfan29 says:

sit him for 2 games and let Diaz take his place, can’t do any worse and at the same time waive Campoli…brutal, if not for Emelin covering his ass the habs coud have lost in regulation…..

59. HankHardball says:

The Canadiens have become a team where the other teams know, no matter how big a lead they have they can`t hold it.

And if they get down more than 1 goal, they can`t come back.

60. novahab says:

Even if they won in overtime it was still a lost. They needed to beat them and they had the game and blew it again.

61. Mad Habber says:

Did anyone else hear the Pittsburgh crowd chanting Gomez name?

62. Strummer says:

Boo-Dawg’s save % in S/O’s this year is .667

Beats Pricey’s .500

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

63. kempie says:

Montreal Canadiens

Got Suck?

64. novahab says:

Miller said it best when he said, nothing you can do can shake up this team.The Habs are a complete mess GD how bad this is. If I was Molson ,I pull one hell of a wade of money out of the vault to buy someone to fix this. There was a time then there were only 17,000 or 18000 coming to the game. I will never beleive Montreal is Toronto winning is to important. Many it time for the fans to stay away send a message.

65. Mr_MacDougall says:

Who would you rather of the three…
    a) Gomez 2 1/2 years with 7.3 cap hit
    b) R Luongo 10 years 5.3333 cap hit
    c) A Ovechkin 9 years 9.538 cap hit

edit:
    d) Bryzgalov 9 years 5.7
    e) Kovalchuk 13 years 6.7

66. WindsorHab-10 says:

Our skilled forwards are not that skilled.

67. aj says:

4 issues to address with this team:

(1) Need More work on how NOT to blow off leads!
    (2) Need to work on PP again.
    (3) Goalies: Price and Budaj, should learn how to stop shooting pucks on 1on1 faceoffs, especially shootouts.
    (4) Bench Subban! He’s really becoming a quandary for this team. Give him a game or 2.

EDIT: Other than that, good job. Even though they got a point (RC should’ve used Cole instead of Gomez), at least they placed the team into overtime.

68. j2w4habs25 says:

Cunneyworth is a douche bagg! using Gomez in a shoutout – cost us 2 points!

Carey Price #31

69. stevieray says:

some much for the season ….
    sellars !!
    Gomez ..really RC ?
    ..what about Eller & Bourque
    I don’t matter at this stage anyway …season is over folks !
    very,very disappointing !

70. smiler2729 says:

I think Gauthier made the call on the Gomez SO selection

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

71. FlyingFrenchie says:

Are Canadien’s fans losing faith?
    The answer is….
    We have never had any faith in the Nitwits who’ve been managing this debacle.
    Game Note: Even whistler’s mother could blank the Habs’in a shoot out..
    On the plus side- At least Gomez hit the goalie and not the glass
    with his shootup attempt.
    Word on the street is… Gomez may actually score in this decade cause it’s only 2012:)