Liveblog: Canadiens will draft third

Three

Nothing changed for the Canadiens.
They finished third from the bottom in the final NHL standings, and the draft lottery draw left the Canadiens picking third when the draft is held in Pittsburgh on June 22
Edmonton moved up a notch into the first spot, bumping poor Columbus to second.

•  •  •

When CBC Radio’s beautiful and talented Andie Bennett asked Andrei Markov about the progress of P.K. Subban, the defenceman gruffly ansered “Next question.”

When pressed, Markov declined comment.

What to make of this?

In his RDS column, Renaud Lavoie sugests Markov was expressing a negative attitude toward Subban that is prevalent in the Canadiens’ room.

I don’t buy it.

As François Gagnon said onL’Antichambre Monday, this was more a case of being Markov being Markov: Self-consciously inscrutable, indifferent to his responsibilities as a leader in the room.

Look, P.K. is not everyone’s cup of tea.

He’s a hot dog, which for me is not entirely a negative. Bell Centre fans appreciate players with panache, and Subban is their man.

He’s a 22-year-old work in progress. And P.K. matured as the season progressed.

P.K. led the team in ToI, averaging more than 24 minutes per game. Playing in all situations and matched, with Josh Gorges, against the opponents’ best forwards, P.K. was plus-9 on a last-place team.

He made $875,000.

Markov’s salery was $5.75 million. He averaged 18 minutes in 13 games and was minus-4.

Next question.

• Good reading: Mitch Melnick’s year-end summary. My favourite part is Melnick’s demolition of  the know-nothings who knock Carey Price.

• I can’t believe Chris F. Lee is working the playoffs

1. ZepFan2 says:

:eek:

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

2. Hammer says:

Ha, ha . For those that want to trade one of the top half dozen young D in the NHL for an unknown quantity, you are no better than the past GM who was pillaged for his abilities.

3. Michael says:

I agree with Boone that those who knock Carey Price are “know-nothings,” although I’d probably phrase it with less juvenility and more vulgarity, but I really admire the way Boone, whether he intends to or not, calls his colleague Jack Todd a “know-nothing” in a print. That takes a pair.

4. rogieshan says:

I’m a fan of Subban, but if he is indeed a disliked figure inside the locker room, then the new GM may consider offering him in a package to Edm for the 1st choice overall, keeping our own pick, and select the tandem of Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

• Stormin says:

Getting Yakupov and Galchenyuk very intriguing, would be awesome and they love playing together. maybe a package with Beaulieu, Weber, Bourque and one of our 3 second round picks in 2013 a very strong draft year, could be a doable package without including Subban

5. ponyboy says:

Off the draft topic for a second. What are the thoughts on David Moss and Cory Sarich? Two UFA’s both rh shots that have size. Moss can play wing and center, Sarich the steady Dman we need. Just thoughts that’s all….

6. Stormin says:

Alex Galchenyuk highlights he is a big part of the reason of Yakupov;s success with Sarnia

7. Mr_MacDougall says:

How about offering Edm 3rd overall and 2nd rounder for the 1st?

• Stormin says:

No way, because I think Gallchenyuk will be better than Yakupov, and Galchenyuk is a center who also has grown and is now 6’2, Galchenyuk is American by the way not Russian so not to worry about the KHL issue as much.

8. Stormin says:

Time for Hab fans to get excited we get the 2 steals in this years draft, If (6’2 Center) Alex Galchenyuk was not hurt he would have been projected higher than Yakupov just like he was in the OHL draft. So be happy Check out these high lights of I hope the newest Canadiens from this years draft Alex Galchenyuk and Michael Matheson. Matheson has grown 2 more inches and is not as listed 6″1 but is now 6’3 size matters in the show. His biggest asset though is he is one of the best pure skaters in the draft, also he has superior offensive skills , skating hard shot. Physically strong going to Boston College NCAA after this season , playing in Dubuque for former Hab Jim Montgomery. From Pointe Claire perfectly bilingual for the politically thinking supporters of the Habs, I have seen him play many many times and he would be a steal with our first pick in the 2nd round.
    ISS ranking #25
    CSS ranking #30
    TSN #37

9. HabsinLA says:

What does “strong in a grouping” mean? I’m not sure that’s a very positive compliment for a 3rd overall pick.

Also this pick is magnified, unless someone goes off the deep end, by the fact that the Leafs will get whichever center we don’t pick. If only one of them succeeds, this day will be remembered in infamy and add ammo to the forum rivalry.

Also, someone said Beaulieu’s dad is the coach at Sarnia, wonder if he’ll toss us some bonus info since his son is about to play for us.

• RGM says:

What rivalry?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

10. Marc10 says:

Stephane Leroux who covers junior hockey for RDS and 98.5 had interesting things to say. His discussions with recruiters had some guys off the board coming in before Fosberg. He referred to Skinner’s selection where the little guy was projected as a second rounder, came in 8th and won rookie of the year.

11. habstrinifan says:

A smaller item in Melnick’s year end review was the fact that Toronto will most likely be going after Travis Moen.

I am glad that the rumours (I dont know if they were true) did circulate during the season that Habs were not interested in trading Moen.

As we ‘rebuild/retool’ and set the HABS on the right path I think Moen will be important piece of the puzzle in the short-term.

It wold be nice and send a feel-good vibe if Moen were to reject Burke/Toronto and accept a Mtl offer which didnt overpay.

Hope Moen stays a HABS .. and add to one more snarl to Burke’s face.

I am actually quite impressed we didn’t drop from 3rd to 4th, I fully expected the Bettman/Daley tandem to give that pick to Toronto. Why else would Burke have been lobbying publicly the last 3 years about how he would never circumvent the cap with a long term contract. The guy has been peddaling Bettman propaganda for years and now when he needs help the most, i was sure Leafs were getting 1st pick. As George Castanza’s mother said, this changes everything as it relates to my view on the league rigging everything.

13. mb says:

On a sidenote, those hoping for Pat Brisson as the GM, not happening.

14. Mattyleg says:

Kerry Fraser wearing glasses!
    20 years too late!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. RiverviewCanadien says:

Let the Subban, Markov, Emelin, Kaberle, Weber, Campoli, Gorges, Diaz, St. Denis rumors begin.

EDIT: annnd, the Habs 3rd overall involved with anyone.

Everything is fine, nothing to worry about, perhaps you didn’t hear but Geoff Molson is hiring a new GM, Serge is helping and we are going to be the Habs of old! I just can’t guarantee which Habs of old…

16. Bill says:

Ugh, I bet on Boston losing in the first round in my hockey pool. Talk about going with your heart instead of your head! That’s twenty bucks I’m not getting back.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Ryan Murray will be our pick! Me thinks. And as good or better a NHL prospect player as the two Russians!

I have to hand it to you Mike B., you try! But to put two BOBBLE HEADS on here is just way over the Top! But it brings smiles!

• Bill says:

I wouldn’t complain. Lots of good-looking defensemen available. I’d rather get an awesome D-man than an above-average forward, if that’s what the forwards after Yakupov actually are.

Timmins must be loving a top-3 pick. Too bad it’s in such a crappy draft year (just like Price’s year).

Full Breezer 4 Life

• 24moreCups says:

I’d rather we not pick another defense man, we have some good ones coming up in the next few years. We’re lacking scoring depth and would to see us address that need.

Even thought Murray looks like he will be a great defense man, I also like Dumba a lot on the subject of D.

18. mrhabby says:

Oilers get 1st round pics in the last 3years….they are going to move bodies soon.

19. Mattyleg says:

Holy Crap, Jennifer Hedger needs to eat a meal.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. Eric37 says:

Sorry if someone answered already. But it was the Nords.

Nolan
    Sundin
    Lindros

—————————————————-

To quote the great Carey Price: “Chill out.”

E.

21. Bill says:

Let’s keep the draft talk civil for the next couple months ago? Most of us posters here know about as much about the top junior prospects as we know about Playboy centrefolds: their names and major stats.

I don’t want to see a flame war with the Galchenyuk lovers calling the Grig-Bots idiots. I just can’t take it.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mattyleg says:

You’re dreaming if you think that’s not going to happen.
      Keep drinking the “Let’s all get along” Kool Aid.
      I’ve been arguing with people for decades; I know how this works.
      I’ve been saying we’re going to argue about this since the beginning of the season, but nobody listened to me.
      “Keep the draft talk civil.”
      Spoken like a true peacenik.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFab says:

Did you by chance spend the weekend at a religious retreat?
      Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Ahem (clears throat) how do you know what we know about Playboy Centrefolds? As for the two players in question, I love the way the staple looks in Galchenyuk’s knee in the middle of his spread photo in the Hockeynews.

22. H.Upmann says:

Hahahah wow if TO got that pick, HIO would explode and enter a new dimension of fan comments. EDM has no excuse now after this.. If they can’t make the playoffs next year, that’ll just be ridiculous

• jedimyrmidon says:

Not sure they’ll make the playoffs next year. Will their D improve much? All I keep hearing if that they’ve got good prospects in the system.

23. habstrinifan says:

Larry Carriere should be coming up on TSN990 mtl. Hope they ask him some good questions.

Refreshing eh! I know he is only filling in. But we are getting to hear in a conversation style someone from the executive suite.

24. habaholic68NJ says:

Galchenyuk!

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

25. habstrinifan says:

So was this so much ado about nothing. And I bought into every second of it. Heck I am still glued to TSN990 waiting for LC.

Okay just turned on computer, I see the Oil Tankers of the West have once again figured out how to master the art of tit sucking.

Wow, and they will still suck next year.

Okay I want Galchenyuk, but with Edmonton winning I fear they take Yakupov, what is Columbus going to do? I think they trade the pick, they can’t sell another Russian to their crowd in Ohio after Filatov and Zherdev. I am not slagging Russians, I am saying they have two flops and they are in mid America.

Either way we get Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, my preference is the Stinger from Sarnia.

• HabFab says:

I don’t know what to do? Who do we pick? Do we trade up? Do we trade down? Do we http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzuGB9h26Go&feature=related

• Mattyleg says:

Edmonton will be in the same boat as Chicago. They will go deep in the playoffs, maybe even win a cup, then lose all their players to Free Agency and Cap issues.
      Splat.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I disagree, they don’t have a smart enough mgmt team to get a cup out of this, they will flounder for 2 more years then bitch and scream about not enough money and start trading away forwards. Sorry but that mgmt and ownership group has shown zero the last few years, why believe they figure it out now?

• ABHabsfan says:

I think there may be a strong possibilty that Yak falls to 3rd. Edm needs a d-man and CBJ may be reluctant to pick another Russian, that’s the word on the street anyway. Good prospects coming the Habs’ way, 3 picks in the first 40 or so.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

The Avalanche never tanked.

28. smiler2729 says:

Wow, you gotta really suck to get the number one pick three years in a row… or swallow.

_______________________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
    Brian Burke, re-branding crap in Laff Nation for 4 years now.
    Jaroslav Halak is Brian FREAKIN’ Elliott’s backup in St. Louis.

29. manu07 says:

I don’t see the oilers picking Nail. Maybe they do, but how many young forwards does a team need for f sakes

30. jo_maka says:

None of our prospect move, EDM needs stability and experience…….so I say send Kaberle AND Bourque over there, take Hemsky for cap relief and trade our picks. Kabs is experience and consistency incarnated (if we also include sucking consistently with experience in his own end if not paired with a mean big D, but hey, why split hairs ?), Bourque will feel better in his native Alberta, add some muscle to their offense to insulate those sneaky and shifty toothpicks they have playing for them.

Done !
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

31. Mondou6 says:

I’ll take #3! Good spot for us. Very happy!

I’m also glad Columbus missed #1 after finishing with such a ridiculously crappy record. Screw them.

32. slapshot777 says:

I am not disappointed that we stayed in the number three slot. As long as we didn’t drop and spots and Toronto didn’t rise any.

Actually being in third spot may give the Habs a bit of flexibility in who they may draft and maybe give Timmins more options.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Not sure if it gives the Habs more flexibility. The Oilers will probably take Yakupov whereas in 2nd they might have been inclined to take Murray. CBJ will probably take a forward as well. Which means in all likelihood there will be one less forward for the Habs to pick from with Murray still around.

33. habsfanforever7631 says:

I don’t think Dumba will fall all the way to 9th…

34. Take a D-mann The defensemen are terrible

Fans at HIO are great but quickest way to start losing is to listen to them :)

35. sreuel says:

I can see the Habs trading there first round pick for a couple of players to play now just a feeling

36. Boomer says:

If Galchenyuk hadn’t missed most of the season with a knee injury he’d be projected top 5 for sure maybe even 2nd overall ahead of grigorenko, I just hope Timmins n the gang realize this aswell and not let him slip. More and more scouts are reporting Grigorenko’s lack of consistency and effort on the ice. DON’t take him over Galchenyuk regardless of what Button says…

• jo_maka says:

This might actually depend on the reports made by Nathan Beaulieu’s father, who happens to coach Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

That and what Roy sees in Grigo, and the possibility that Roy might jump in next season.

So the Habs’ interest in either one of those 6 feet plus big slick centers might have more to do with the whole organization’s networking system, rather than just a skill evaluation
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Bill says:

You can be pretty sure Timmins and his scouts have at least as good a handle on the prospects as you, I think. I wouldn’t worry about them not having heard about Galchenyuk’s talent, eh?

Whomever they take it’ll be an educated pick.

Full Breezer 4 Life

37. The HonestFan says:

Time to watch John Wayne in theSearchers on AMC.

38. habsfanforever7631 says:

So the Lafs get Galchenyuk, and we don’t? We get someone that’s not a number one center? waw

39. HabFab says:

Bob McKenzie is so polite.

40. Mike D says:

Boone: The Nordiques had three 1st overalls in a row starting in 1989.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

41. ont fan says:

Winnipeg says they will be willing to trade their pick.

42. VancouverHab says:

Thank-you, Mr. Boone: that was especially appreciated.

43. longbow says:

If Edmonton takes Yakupov and Columbus takes either Grigorenko or Galchenyuk then I think this increases the possibility that the Habs could decide to take a defenseman.I was hoping Edmonton would go 2nd and take a Dman leaving the Habs with the choice of Grigs or Gally. I’m just relieved the Laffs didn’t win. It’s all good.

“A constant smirk upon the face, and a whiffing activity of the body, are strong indications of futility.” Lord Chesterfield

• Boomer says:

I’ll lose all faith in this club if we waste this pick on another dman, ryan murray is one of the guys thats good all round but he ain’t a game changer, he doesn’t dominate in one aspect of his game. Plus the last two years our first round picks have been dmen, we need offense, can’t rely on the two and a half men line to carry us all year again

44. Marc10 says:

The Nordiques were the last to draft 3 firsts in a row.

They picked Nolan over Jagr because they thought Jaromir wouldn’t make the jump right away…

45. topher5468 says:

I cant watch the preview show, I just don’t care who wins, well Just not the Rangers or Bruins

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

46. Stev.R says:

Forsberg. OVER-RATED, OVER-RATED.

Button is only making his choices to appease the fans. CBJ will take Grigorenko, and Gally will go fourth or third, he ain’t dropping down to 5.

• TomNickle says:

We’ll be drafting Galchenyuk.

• Stev.R says:

It’s either Gally or Murray. I know we have dmen, but Murray is the much safer pick. Would you rather get a stud dman or a risky center who could end up being a dud. Even if we have other stud dmen, you can never have too many.

• TomNickle says:

Risky centre every day and twice on Sunday. The top 3 is no place to go after safe defensemen.

We’ve taken safe defensemen in the late teens and early twenties for years and the majority of them work out sure.

But there has been no bust in the top 3 in ages. Galchenyuk isn’t a risky pick.

Was one of the best players in the CHL in his first season and while he did have a serious knee injury I wouldn’t worry about his health long term. He has the best combination of size and skill in the top end of the draft.

He will however need at least one full season back in the CHL.

• Stev.R says:

Safe as in he will definitely be an elite dman. Risky center in he may never play well in the NHL.

I still think we will, and should take a forward, but Murray will be the best player to come out of this draft.

47. nickster13 says:

OK. Lets make this trade happen.
    Habs trade the 3rd overall pick and a roster player to Edmonton for the right to draft Yakupov.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

48. slapshot777 says:

Tambellini isn’t much of a GM. A monkey can do his job with three first overall picks in a row. The Oilers suck now and they still will continue to suck.

Tambellini doesn’t know how to build a hockey team after the first pick anyway, that is why they have no decent players other than those first round picks.

49. Adidess says:

Man, can’t believe I skip my pickup game for this!

50. HAHAHAHAHHAAHH

THAT WAS AN EPIC TROLL FACE
    by Tambellini after winning the lottery. I need to get a .gif image of that!

51. TomNickle says:

It is disgusting that the Edmonton Oilers receive yet another first overall pick. I have no qualms about admitting this, but when I saw that the Canadiens did not win the lottery I was rooting for Columbus to keep the first overall selection.

Kevin Lowe and now Steve Tambellini have had looks on their faces like they’ve stolen something whenever they’ve been shown on camera since this farce began three years ago.

What makes this worse is that the Edmonton Oilers are receiving no justice today. They tried to rob the Los Angeles kings blind in a trade by sending an injured player to them and had the nerve to lie about medical results in that process.

The senior management with that organization should be ashamed and it’s criminal that they are rewarded this evening.

52. Boomer says:

Galchenyuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53. habsfanforever7631 says:

lol Oilers, dmen or Yakupov?
    pore the BJ’s.

54. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Mat Jordan you need to find a new site

55. HabFanSince72 says:

Edmonton rewarded for deliberately sucking.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

56. Chuck says:

Three number ones im a row… they’re like Pittsburgh north.

___________________________________________________

57. MTLCANADIENS says:

wow. i dont think the habs will get griogroenko anymore because oliers will take yakupov, then the blue jackets will take griogrenko…

ryan murray will be a hab

• Hab Fan says:

Don’t be surprised if Edmonton trades their 1st overall pick to aquire a defensemen. This is going to be an interesting draft. Montreal has some depth at “D” and Edmonton has too many forwards. I can see a deal .

58. matt jordan says:

Package Kaberle and Weber plus our 1st for Edmonton’s 1st round pick.

Edmonton needs defenseman, and Weber and Kaberle’s position is defense.

Match made in heaven.

59. kempie says:

Freaking EDM! Jesus. And they’ll probbly still suck next year. So much for a Dman going ahead of us. Galchenyk it is then.

60. christophor says:

Call me crazy but the Habs should trade Beaulieu and something (’13 #1?) to Edmonton for their #1 pick. Then they should take Murray with it, then take Gally, Grig, or Yak with #3.

• Hab Fan says:

That actually makes some sense. We already have Subban,Emilen,Georges,Markov with Tinordi and Patyrn are on the way. I think we look pretty good on “D”. But I think that throwing in a 1st rounder might be a little too much .

61. Aybara says:

So it’s grigs or gally depending on who Columbus takes. I’ll be okay with either of the two.

62. McKanadiens says:

Poor CBJ. Wow. Effed at every turn!

63. English is not a Crime says:

This is where a smart GM realizes that the Oilers will likely want Murray and trade say a #3 overall pick and say a 2nd rounder from Nashville for a #1 overall pick to get the forward they want and let the Oilers still get their d-man. Same way Florida and Columbus did it with Bouwmeester and Nash